Falling Skies: Riding In Cars With Boys

Falling Skies S02E08: "Death March"

The 2nd Mass drives.

Let "Death March" forever be referred to as the episode of Falling Skies that had us asking "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" until our teeth fell out. Tonight's hour was an homage to the great American pastime that doesn't involve apples, steroids, or slaughtering indigenous people. I'm talking ROAD TRIPS, people, and "Death March" saw the 2nd Mass caravanming south toward the safety of Charleston, proving that aliens may take away our technology, our weakest family members, and our will to maintain basic hygiene, but they can never take away the American desire to pack the station wagon and cross state lines.

As is the case with all road trips, "Death March" was all about getting to know the person or persons you're traveling with. Character development (and what Falling Skies passes for character development) was the star of this very different episode. It was a noble effort on the show's part, as 99.99999 percent of the episode took place inside or near vehicles that were driving at night, forcing the show about an alien invasion to let its characters actually talk to each other. It was Falling Skies stripped down to its non-alien basics, the characters left alone with their thoughts, the road before them, and zero real threat. It was the EXACT opposite of two weeks ago's "Molon Rabe," a dangerous close-quartered blast-a-thon.

Yes, it was an episode filled with chats. And what did we learn from those chats? Not the most necessary information, but at least we saw some weird human moments from characters who haven't seemed very human for one and a half seasons. Let's summarize the four that stood out.

Maggie and Hal talk while driving.

Maggie: Our favorite Maggie has been hiding a lot from everyone, including us. How dare she! After Pope guilted her into telling Hal the truth, she 'fessed up and spilled it: She became a junkie whore after her head tumor surgery, and got thrown in the clink for thievery, where she had a bastard child. I'm not saying that a jail birth is typical, but Pope made her past seem like a bigger deal than that. I was half expecting her to say something about being pregnant with an alien baby or revealing that she and Pope got married after too much Jaegermeister. But no, she was just your average drug-shooting teenager. We all know like dozens of people like that.

Lourdes: The cute nurse was a mess and became obsessed with Jamil's tools. Pretty typical behavior for someone who just finished watching space spiders crawl out of her boyfriend's mouth. But later, she suddenly decided everything was okay and I'm sure she'll be all smiles from here on out. Maybe she snorted some pills from the medical stash or something, because that turnaround happened quickly. In order for this story to work, Lourdes is going to have to show lots of lingering effects from the traumatic experience. What are the chances Falling Skies does that? I'm saying 50/50. They could just as easily drop the issue and pretend Jamil never existed.

Matt: Tom's youngest started off the hour writing HIS WILL. He's seven years away from his first chest hair, yet he's already planning for his death. That's what growing up in this world does to a kid. He's also having the most believable reaction of any of the Masons to the Ben situation, a combination of fear and confusion.

Tector: We also learned that Tector, the sniper who goes to the same barber as Bryce Harper, is former military, and Captain Weaver poked and prodded him until he admitted it. Later, Tector saluted Weaver and it was very cheesy. But can someone explain to me why Weaver grilled Tector the way he did? And why he told Tector he murdered his own men when it was clearly a sore spot to Tector and then said, "LOL JK just wanted to see you cry?" I mean seriously, what a jerk. I did not understand Weaver in that scene one bit. Did an alien prankster skin Weaver and assume his identity just to act weird?

Weaver and Tector talk while driving.

One of the highlights of the trip was the group coming upon a young girl named Jenny who was slowly turning into alien broccoli (did you see her hands? Grossssss, but awesome touch!). Obviously Matt and Jenny became quick friends because cute kids are impulsively attracted to each other in anything that even has the faintest stink of Spielberg to it. They were starting to bond over being stupid kids, but Jenny had also been brainwashed by the aliens through her harness. She eventually left to be with her brother, who was even more alien broccoli than she was, before really bringing anything important to the table. Maybe we'll see them again, maybe we won't. Maybe they'll be riding on a motorcycle with that girl who drove Tom to meet up with the 2nd Mass.

Of course all this driving and talking was supposed to lead up to arriving at Charleston, and when the 2nd Mass got there, it was a smoldering ruin. This pissed me off to no end and I cried. (It did allow Weaver to give a pretty mediocre halftime speech, though.) But haha fooled me because it turned out everything was just another edition of Punk'd: Falling Skies Edition, and Weaver's old military friends popped out of the woods to say that the real Charleston was actually hidden and the new capital of the United States has strawberries! Next week, we're finally arriving in Charleston! Finally!

We regularly complain about the characters of Falling Skies not making any progress, and then "Death March" comes along and gives us an hour's worth of character development. But it did so in the most boring of ways: through scene after scene of people talking in cars at night. On the plus side it gave the characters nothing to do BUT talk, which meant there were no real stories to bungle—and for that we're all grateful. I'm just not sure Tector's background as a member of the military was the character story we were dying to hear when we still know so little about Anne, Weaver, Pope, Tom, and ESPECIALLY DAI. Though "Death March" was a sign that Falling Skies is maturing, ever so slightly, under no circumstance will it be rewatchable or make any sort of "Essential Episodes of Falling Skies" list.

NOTES

The 2nd Mass continues to drive.

– No Ben. Did you miss him? I kinda did.

– More awesome dialogue from Anne: "We’re all just a heartbeat away from death. We always have been, we always will be. That's not a reason to lose hope. We're not dead yet." Someone needs to build a website called "Dialogue from Falling Skies's Dr. Anne or Coldplay lyrics?" (Dot com.)

– I'm guessing there are going to be a lot of people who HATED this episode. But with that said, I thought everyone would hate "Homecoming." Please do me a favor and let me know what you thought of "Death March" in the comments below, because I'm honestly curious.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I actually enjoyed this episode, and I think it worked effectively because of the pairings. Tector and Weaver played off each other well, as did Maggie when she told all to Hal. I certainly did not love the episode, but I definitely preferred it over the early boring stuff we got at the beginning of season1.

That being said, the writers should have played this episode and the following episode as a two-parter. I think it would have been more interesting to slowly realize that Charlestown isn't all it's cracked up to be over 2 episodes, instead of just one. It was obvious from the start that it was not what they thought, and I think the writers could have easily crafted it to be a slower reveal over two episodes instead of just putting up a big neon sign that Terry O'Quinn wasn't who we thought he was. Just my opinion!
Staff
WTF was that? Terrible episode. Falling Skies hates its viewers. Cheesy dialog and terrible dialog. I hate watch this show.
I did miss Ben.

I have a question: how old is Margaret supposed to be?? At 18 she was a bald pregnant junkie in jail. So, how long has it been since then? She's clearly had time to grow her hair out and survive an alien apocalypse. So does that make her... what? 21? 22? Does anyone else find it odd that she's dating a 17 year old?

Just throwing it out there.
For most of this episode, I kept telling myself I'd now remove Falling Skies from my TV rotation, even during a slow summer. But the last few minutes kiiiind of brought me back in... a bit. I'm still hesitant and still find the show very lacking... but I do kind of want to see what happens in Charleston. That's the tough thing about shows like this... the overall concept and premise is interesting enough that I keep wanting to watch despite the crappy writing.

It's not that it was a character-focused episode necessarily that bothered me... it's that it was a character-focused episode by weak writers that bothered me. I didn't care for ANY of the different convos going on by any of the characters.

Oh, and that ex-military guy's name is Tector?! I kept wondering why the hell Weaver kept calling him detective. I knew it couldn't be that because... well... that's stupid... but I couldn't come up with any reasonable name that sounded similar. I could've IMDB'd it, of course, but I don't care enough about the show to actually care what his name is.

WHO GOES THERE?! Oh, Dai.
Weaver was using reverse psychology. He was hyperbolistically "attacking" Tector about getting his men killed so that Tector would naturally try to defend himself, at which point Weaver switched back and said "you're right; you didn't kill your men in the military, just like you didn't kill Boon last week. The enemy did those things."

As for the episode itself, the character development was welcome, but I didn't like that they squished it all into one episode, instead of spreading it throughout the season. Also, the dialogue writers kinda suck.

Also also, with only ten episodes per season, I can see why they feel the need to wrap up things like Lourdes' grief in just an ep or two. It did seem rushed though.
There were a lot of things that bothered me about this episode, the lack of action not making the list. Lordes is annoying the heck outa me, I know she's been through something traumatic and we need to see her grieve but not like this. When people grieve they still stay in character and this just isn't, she should be struggling with her faith and what's the point of it all, but yelling at Anne and blaming her for having hope doesn't seem right.

I agree: WTF was up with Weaver? I think it was a terrible attempt at trying to make Tector (who proves that mullets are making a come back) see the truth that he wasn't responsible for his men dying, but that's only because I'm giving the writers the benefit of the doubt.

I feel like Maggie is getting all the history and the drama, they should spread the wealth. It wasn't enough that she was raped by Pope and his crew, she also had to have cancer. And oh yea that lead to her being a drug addict/criminal who gave birth to her crack baby in jail. It's like they come up with these things to make a character and then decide "let's give that to Maggie, she's already screwed up"

That being said, I thought they dealt with Ben leaving alright and it's interesting to see what happens to the harnessed kids when the skitters are killed. I also totally called Charleston being underground or hidden, they can't just have a huge city sitting out in the open.
What's the worst that can happen if you pick up a harnessed kid, especially one turning into a big piece of broccoli? This episode had the least amount of special effects, but they probably need to save for the remaining two episodes. I watched this week's episode through the Dish Remote Access App and wasn't too shocked that Charleston would be hidden. I've been using the app to watch live and recorded episodes while I've been away from home. My coworkers at Dish aren't fans of how Lourdes has been acting since Jamil's death, but I still like her. I'm a little nervous that Charleston isn't what it seems; I suppose we'll see how things play out the next two weeks!
Episodes like this are necessary once in a while, though I have to say beyond Tector's character development it all seemed pretty contrived. Okay, Tom's kid was pretty convincing, but not the other two (I agree with the 180 on Jamil's girl).

Anyway, this episode HAD to be all talk and no bang, because any bang that came in later would have lessened the episode in my opinion. Not the greatest episode, but not bad.
Well, once the writers put themselves in that situation, the 2nd Mass had to get to Charleston, and they had to take the trip. At least the trip lasted no more than an episode. And the next one, based on the preview, looks like it's going to be really interesting.

When they got to Charleston and decided there was nothing there, I did think they were giving up too easily. I mean, if you went through all the work of getting to the city, the last you can do now is check it to see if there's anybody there.

The fact they were going to Charleston must've been the worst kept secret secret in the history of war. If the alien overlord didn't get that from Ben's mind, Matt made sure he spelled it out to the harnessed girl where they were going. When he went to get the map to show her, I thought he was going to say something like, "Here, let me get the secret plans to show you where we're going." Oh, well, kids.

I also wondered why no aliens kept track of their whereabouts considering the sluggish pace of a convoy with big trucks on bad roads. But then, I think that the aliens probably have more things to worry about besides the 2nd Mass; in fact they have an entire planet to be concerned with, and probably not enough manpower to do that.

The dialogues that provided character development were fine, but I just don't think they should've been agglutinated all in one single episode. Perhaps they could've had some scenes of Ben trying fending for himself somewhere else as well.
I had recorded the show so it became the most "fast forwarded" episode of any show I've ever watch...

Yes. They're going to drop the harnessed girl and brother story.

What a waste of a great actor by pushing Colin Cunningham's character (Pope) in the background.

For the development of characters to be interesting, the characters themselves have to be interesting... This episode was absolutely useless. We haven't learn anything major nor even useful: 'Twas mostly chit-chat to past the time. (Producers are probably running out of money.)

Ho, and by the way, if you don't want to be detected just fire a gun up in the air for no reason (since everybody is close enough to hear you speak). And a very intelligent move when ammo are scarce.

[The reason TV is going down is not so much because of the Internet as because the major Network truly believe that all viewers are dumb...]
Totally agree particularly with the last statement. If there's a show I want to watch, I DVR it and watch it half an hour after start time. That way I can skip the commercials, but if I'm really into a show I can't wait a week or even a day for it to be posted online.
Ring-A-Ding-Ding. This is spot on! Pope's far more charismatic and interesting than anyone else on the show....

Also, It REALLY bugged me that Charleston is sending a biplane hundreds of miles to "rally the troops" so to speak but didn't bother to tell the pilot to explain how they could be found once they got to Charleston. Finding them because they fired a shot in the air was laughable. They're really lucky there were no Alien patrols close by, I guess?

-----------------

Finally I'd like to add to the long list of complaints:

CG is great and all, but if it means to bring the show in under budget that you have to go weeks at a time barely seeing any aliens and when you do it's often quick cuts and glimpses...well...perhaps just a guy in a suit with some makeup would have been a better choice?
I really like FALLING SKIES, but that was by far the worst episode ever, especially those endless, pointless dialogues were really testing my patience. And Maggie's story, are you kidding me? I thought here comes a really dark and really disturbing secret, but that was almost like the ending of LOST, very disappointing. Still, good show, and they'll be back on track for sure.
Weaver pushed Tector in saying that it wasn't his fault. That was what that was all about. It worked. Hurray.
Funny. I quite enjoyed this episode. There were some gag-reflex moments but this is falling skies and I expect some consistency on the "Oh come on, really???" department.

Oh Dai. I know he's just happy to show up!
I don't think it was significantly worse than a typical episode.

Maggie's big reveal was really strange. Did she really tell him the thruth? When Pope was talking about WHAT she really is and how important it was that she be honest about it, I thought it was going to be something huge, like "I used to be a man".

Were they driving at night to not be detected? Aren't they going to be even MORE visible at night with their lights on than they would be in daylight? Were they assuming that all skitters would be asleep?

It wasn't very smart to let the kid talk to the harnessed girl. How was her "brother" able to keep up with the convoy anyway?
She's playing with him and as soon as they reached Charleston she will see someone else and drop him like an old potatoes sack.
I figured she was a Jehovah's Witness.
Personally, this episode was soo boring to me.
every time i hear those cheesy diaglogues, especially from weaver, i keep hearing them done in trey parkers voice in my head. the voice he uses for the ginger cop that likes to frame blacks for crimes they didnt commit
Dai yells: WHO GOES THERE?

Dai thinks: Perhaps next week they will give me a record TWO lines of dialog.

This episode was so dumb.
Haha! I laughed pretty hard at that line. Best part of the episode for me, hehe.
This is turning in to Terra Nova basically.
I've always kept Falling Skies one or one-and-a-half notches above Terra Nova, but it's dropping down to Terra territory... or uh, Terra-tory.
Huh. It has almost nothing in common with Terra Nova.
Or perhaps he means constant badly written family stories we don't care about when what we really want to see is dinosaurs (or in this case, aliens)...

Yeah, I think Falling Skies shares MANY of the bad characteristics that Terra Nova had.
Agree.
He means lots of cheesy, boring bleh bleh and very few action (or no action at all). That's what killed Terra Nova.
Seemed like this episode was filmed in slow motion.
so boring my face fell off
This episode was by far the most boring so far and filled with all sorts of unnecessary scenes and story lines.. was quite disappointed tbh.. Here is to hoping that the next won will live up to the expectations:)
If I have to watch ONE more episode with Hal & Maggie talking childish mooshy stuff with each other, I'm going to stab them both in the face with a soldering iron!!!
This might be the first time that I can't say that I enjoy the episode... Character development, yes it's important, bit one hour of road-trip in a series about alien invasion I'd said not a wise choice...
The reason it's important that Jenny was there and then ran away is that Matt let her read his journal. His father had made him write their Charleston plans in the journal. So now the aliens know all about the new government hidden in Charleston.
Those guys don't want to be detected, and they pick up every alien or semi-alien that they meet...
She was a CHILD for Pete's sake. They couldn't leave her.
This far in to a violent takeover by aliens, a child controlled by by them -- especially if the kid isn't related to anyone in the group -- needs to be ditched. Feel free to be sad about it afterwards, but it needs to be done.
At a minimum they didn't need to keep her in the middle of the convoy. Put her in a different vehicle trailing the group to put the group in less danger...but I agree with Swinglabacase that you have to leave her.

Also, can they please not bother to "secure" the prisoner. It's shown at least twice in the last few weeks to not be useful AT ALL...ugh...
harnessed kid = semi-alien: too bad but you leave them there.
I'm sorry, I couldn't have left her. But I would have tried to keep her away from people so they couldn't share their plans with her. That said,, she was in the hospital bus, so I guess they thought they had separated her enough. They just didn't count on Matt 's telling her everything.
The title Death March is confirming my suspicion that the 2nd Mass is heading into a big bad ass trap in Charleston. What a better way to end Season 2 than being surrounded by Skitters and Mecs and who knows what else until Season 3. Poor Matt. Is that will thing abit of foreshadowing?
Since "Sanctuary" was canceled, I am guessing they are developing Ryan Robbins (Tector) from a guest appearance to a regular with scenes like this, which is nicely explained by others below.

Maggie's background was a disappointment.

I was bothered by Matt befriending the girl so easily without anyone being the least bit suspicious of it considering the betrayal of that other girl, Karen plus all they've been through with Ben and that other kid that died. Would you want him telling her of Charleston? If I were Anthony (?) standing there with the gun, I would have shut him up. When they thought they got to Charleston, I thought the aliens found out all about it from that girl, but since it was not Charleston (supposedly), it could soon happen anyway because of her. When he asked his father for the journal, for a moment I thought they would reveal the girl took it. Any of that would be good plot development, but I wonder if they will follow through on it.

One thing to remember is that episodes like this cost less money to produce and are a good way to develop characters, in a good way or bad, as you can't have CGI space ships and explosions every week draining the budget. It's an ongoing series, so it's a necessary evil from time to time. They could have done better though.

From reading comments below, it seems folks have a love-hate relationship with this show, to say the least, or "it's so bad, it's good" kind of feeling towards it.
When he asked his father for the journal, for a moment I thought the girl would have written a cheesy good bye to Matt
Very slow ep. Mostly relationship stuff. Hope next week is a lot better.
not a good episode, the best part of it was the last minute, or 30 seconds, the rest was extremly boring.
Alas, my tv.com friends & writers--It's been what feels like 8 yrs.....

Tim this one really made me laugh. The article, not the episode that is- the episode was a total snoozefest. Seriously, what a fillerama!!
I am all for character development but, good heavens, who decided that an hour's worth of driving and talking was acceptable? Not even Maggie's big revelation was that interesting.

Honestly, I've never seen a more fitting title to a television episode, "Death March" was so boring and slow it took me two days just to finish watching it and now I'm an hour closer to my own death.
I gotta tell you I regret taking time to read tis review. It is as ueseless as it lacks real social sensitivity.
I miss Ben too.

I was falling asleep hearing Maggie talk. I wished someone had a decent life on these types of shows, like hanging out with parents or having a close bond with their parents.

Kinda upset that Charleston was for real, would have given a more realistic sense of "end of the world" if it was lies. Maybe cause some rebellion and someone dying in the season finale, but alas it existed.
I kind of agree... but actually, I kind of felt better about the show when the mass found out Charleston's still good. I was planning on giving up on the show after the episode, especially when it seemed like Charleston was dead and the 2nd Mass would just have to drive around again... but this was enough of a development for me to keep watching for now.
wow worst episode in falling skies so far and that is saying alot...
It was a boring episode. Hal and Pope are my least favorite characters, actually Pope could just disappear and I'd be happy. Also, this whole episode was a huge chunk of cheese.
Pope used to be cool, but he was just stupid in this episode. Hal just sucks, and Maggie is becoming crappier the more she's with him.
This was a boring episode, and your analysis of it was pretty spot on. Let's hope for something better next time. And what a freaking let down (although not entirely unexpected) in the end!
I didn't hate the episode. But I nearly did. I thought the maggie thing was going to be somethin so out there that it would have been awesome. Like say she survived cancer,fell in love with Jesus and then became a nun. And she is conflicted because she really likes Hal and wants to be with him but she can't, however the whole beings from another planet kind of invalidates her whole God theory so she doesn't know. See now that is out there. Junkie whore who had a kid in Farmington isn't original in the least. Had she killed someone in her break ins, then maybe.

Tector, which is a odd name. I guess is going to be a slight main character and this was his introduction. I don't really care about him any more than I did. The only ones I still even kind of care about are Tom, Anne, Hall, Maggie and Pope. The rest really could be rounded up by the aliens, it wouldn't matter.

I do take issue with the name of the episode. "Death March"? One guy that I am not sure you can even call a tertiary or ancillary character died and Lourdes became sad again. And I did love Lordes' complain about how Anne said with Jamil was going to be ok. They missed an opportunity when they didn't have Anne say. "there were alien bugs that swarmed out of him, get over it"

I didn't miss ben in the least.

Hopefully now that they are in Charleston adjacent they will have some more things to do.

I am also so glad that Hal forgave Maggie, the one girl even close to his age in the apocalypse. For having an odd life before the aliens came. But this also does leave the opening of is Maggie's prison baby still alive?
Anyone noticed the weird computer animated people in the background when Weaver did his speech on the truck ? What the hell ?

Something felt a little odd about the guys in the back when I was watching the scene with Weaver on the truck, but I didn't conclude they were computer generated. I just thought they were very unmoving extras. Some of them in the scenes with Tom and Anne do seem a little TOO out of focus though, possibly computer generated.
Ha, ha! That was hilarious. It felt strange that there would be some people spread around doing nothing, not even worrying about listening to Weaver's inspiring speech to begin with.

I think the 2nd Mass has been infiltrated by Cylons! Those evil computer people!
They look more like "out of focus" extras...
ha wow, great pics! I THOUGHT something looked off but wasn't sure.
BoooooooOoooooOooOoOoooooOOOoooooooOoooooOOooooOooring...!
I agree, worst episode ever. Fast forwaded almost 50% of it. Booorrrinnng!

What a piece of garbage, I hope this is the only bad episode.
Navel gazing. That was the primary flaw with the 'Walking Dead' and it practically doomed the show. It bacame unbearably boring.

Please! Enough with the touchy feely talk!
I took the Tector "tough love" moment to get Tector to (A) react emotionally and most importantly (B) admit to himself that it wasn't his fault. He was wrestling with it being his fault but deep down inside he knew it wasn't. So Weaver got him to admit that part.

It wasn't an "LOL JK" situation, but forcing someone to realize something they already subconsciously knew
Weaver was baiting him to make him angry so he would admit to what he already knew - that those deaths weren't his fault. Weaver obviously didn't want a good soldier to leave them because of misplaced survivor's guilt. Makes perfect sense to me, if a little poorly executed by the script writers.
Yawn.

I was wrong. Thought it was time for a "Hal" story this week, but we got another lil' Matt story instead.

I didn't miss Ben at all.

Can't it be both? How awesome would that be if they only gave her lines from Coldplay songs?

How is it that none of these scenes have any emotional impact? Maggie and Hal, Weaver and Tector, Tom and Matt, Matt and Jenny, Anne and Lourdes, 2nd Mass and destroyed Charleston, Weaver and lame speech to 2nd Mass, 1st Battalion surprising 2nd Mass with New Charleston, and so on. Boring, unsurprising and completely lacking any kind of tension or drama.

Like I said before, yawn.
there's a "Essential Episodes of Falling Skies" list???

missed ben. episode was fine (bit boring but yay for trying character development)

also, weaver is the worst
Anyone else watch the preview for next week? Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but, one of the actors they showed I sure as HELL did not expect to see..
Any new actor or actress they would show, we would not have expected to see... ;)

Like, I did not expect to see Camille Sullivan flying an airplane, a few weeks ago!
Yes, John Locke shows up to tell them "We're not the only ones living on this island, er, planet, and we all know it!"

I can only hope they have to go through a hatch to get to New Charleston or keep pushing a button every 108 minutes to electromagnetically generate power.
*FACEPALM*
Nice... you replied to a comment that explicitly and deliberately went out of its way to avoid spoilers, by performing that spoiler in your first sentence. Douche.
How is it a spoiler when it was NOT John Locke whom we saw?
How is it a spoiler when it was in the previews for next week's show at the end of this week's show? So... who's the douche?
We called you out on your bullshit and you're mad at us and you think we should grow up...

Sure thing buddy.
I'm sorry, but you're dead wrong. It's not possible for me to spoil something that's already been in all the promos and commercials, especially when it airs within the credits immediately at the end of episode we all just watched. And, seriously, get a grip. I didn't spoil a plot line, like some people did for Price with Veronica Mars (which, by contrast, is actually douchy). It's a guest actor. Grow up.
You are...and that's exactly what he said. Plenty of people avoid watching the previews so they can go in fresh. They would rather be surprised by things like that.
Why are none of the vehicles eco minded? gas is in short supply, they use 2 stroke motorcycles, and drive with their lights on??

Excuse me but dont you try to be stealth when a smarter alien race is after you?

Never understood why all end of worl movies use the worst gas guzzling machines when gas is almost non-existant

Much of this question was addressed in Season 1 of Falling Skies - the aliens used EMP's to destroy any unshielded electronics, which is why the resistance has only old vehicles. New vehicles - think anything new enough to have electronic fuel injection, so roughly 1980 or newer - are no longer functional because their electronics were fried by EMP's.

I'll second kanniball's point about wanting high HP / low torque vehicles to maneuver a post-apocalyptic landscape. Also, the resistance fighters need to transport supplies - they are scavenging every chance they have and living on the move - so they want vehicles with large cargo capacities, meaning buses, trucks, and large cars fit the bill.
Well's let's see. Old clunkers are easier to fix. Try fixing some obscure problem with a Prius if you don't have a Toyota maintenance guy around. Any basic mechanic can fix some old 1990 truck because old clunkers are easier to fix and find pieces for.

Likewise, high HP / low torque vehicles might handle offroad situations better or situations where you might have to "push" cars out of the way or run over aliens.

Old clunkers (like the old station wagons) are less crumple zone / more armor. And in zombie apocalypse / alien armageddon you probably want more armor and less crumple zone.
It was good character development.. a lot of people compare this show to The Walking Dead with aliens.. but the difference in the Walking Dead vs Falling Skies is I can actually name the characters based on the development they built so far. Maggie's revelation was something I have suspected already, but I feel that there's more to it than meet's the eye.. some history between her and Pope.
We already know that Pope and his gang used her as "the girl" before they joined the Second Mass.
Meh. At least space geeks have the Mars Curiosity landing tonight.
I personally liked the episode quite a bit. I agree it isn't all that rewatchable but most non-comedies aren't. I did quite enjoy the style of it though. Very similar to a rather good Mash episode, though they should have copied it a little more closely and mixed up the characters a bit. Good way to flesh out the characters.
How'd you not get the Tector scene? Weaver yelled at him for killing his men so Tector would get angry and defend himself and realize, by actually saying it himself, that he didn't kill those men. But as you said, fairly mediocre storytelling so it wasn't handled the best way, but that's what they were doing with that scene.
Precisely. Weaver reversed psychology'd Tector into an emotional response. To let it all out and make him realize the truth. Then he followed up with the "everybody-effs-up-eventually-you-just-have-to-learn-from-your-mistakes-and-move-on" speech. The scene wasn't the best acting moment, but what really made no sense was doing it to the person who is driving. Never provoke an emotional response from a driver. Much less an angry one. Specially when you're LEADING A FREAKING CONVOY!
Tim,

I think that you are way off base. Character building is an important factor in any show. So, yea it was lacking on action but that is all that we have had up to this point. It was nice to see some character building.

Tector: The exchange between the Captain and Tector, there is just not enough time in the situation that they are in to get touchy feely about it. The direct approach that was taken was very quick in getting Tector to get over his self pity.

Ann: as far as the doctors comment to Tom about a heartbeat away, is the truth in any situation. Why dwell on death, it is not going to help the situation you're in at the moment. In fact it could hinder it.

Jenny: It was actually nice to see something that tied the skitters into the victims that are claiming to be. It made it a lot more believable that they are the victims that they claim when one of our own are turning too.

Maggie: Yes, Pope made it sound a lot worse than it was (or maybe, we don't have the whole truth yet) but what she had to say was something that any girl would be ashamed to tell am boy that she is falling in love with. It was horrible to her.

Lourdes: Tim, have you ever lost someone you really cared about but knew that the dire situation that you are in requires you to be better than that......AT 18. I think that the short reactions that you are ridiculing could easily be a part of the " Not having time to deal with Life, in order to keep Life' situation.

I thought it was a much slower episode than any of the previous episodes, but I also think it was necessary to keep the audience interested in the people in the series.

Load More Comments