Falling Skies: Time to Move On

Falling Skies S02E03: "Compass"

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? Why, Falling Skies, why? I haven't been this bummed about a TV character death since James Dempsey shot himself in the head on The Event. "Compass" will forever be known as the episode where we lost Jimmy, the greatest bag of incompetence and floppy hair who ever convinced someone to give him a big-ass mofo'ing sniper rifle that can also serve as a flamethrower and please someone get me one of those for Christmas because I have a raccoon problem.

One of the complaints (yep, there's more than one) I've voice about this show is its lack of significant character deaths, so I suppose I should be happy that the series finally manned up and buried someone who wasn't just around for a guest role. But I'm not. Exact opposite. They killed Jimmy! You bastards.

That's serious business, you guys. And it comes at the expense of our unintended enjoyment over watching some idiot kid make mistake after mistake and put the whole group in jeopardy on a regular basis. I loved Jimmy because he made for good television and reminded me that no matter how many blows to the head I take, there will be someone out there who's dumber than I am. True, he improved a lot in recent episodes, but it seems like it was just yesterday that Jimmy was almost getting everyone killed by trying to save a dog. I can still see him bringing his bad mojo to a late-night patrol that killed everyone... except for him. And we'll fondly remember the time he cowered in a corner and ran out of bullets while fighting a Skitter, only to be saved by Weaver and crumpling into an ocean of tears. I will miss you and your hair, Jimmy. It's a wonder you made it this long.

Credit where credit is due though, killing Jimmy by impalement took a combination of balls and scouring the internet to determine who held the honor of being Falling Skies fans' least favorite character. Honestly this dense kid probably would have died slipping in the shower or microwaving tinfoil in real life, and there's no way he and Ben should have been going all Rambo and hunting down Skitters by themselves. This is Falling Skies' way of demanding to be taken seriously, and in a way it works. Not only did the show kill a character, but it took a page out of The Walking Dead's book and killed a young character! The writers are telling us that no one is safe. Except for Tom, Anne, Ben, Hal, Matt, Pope, Lourdes, and Margaret.

Aside from that monumental development, "Compass" slowed things down a lot in the aftermath of the first two episodes and introduced what will likely be one of the main plots of the season: the existence of the Continental Congress in Charleston, South Carolina. We don't know much about the establishment down South beyond what the pretty, biplane-flying bad actress told us. There are about 3,000 people there, there's electricity, there's hot water, and if you want to kick some alien butt (or whatever the equivalent alien body part is), that would be a good place to start. At first, Weaver was reluctant to go, preferring to hunker down in the Catskills and freeze everyone to death over the winter, but he changed his mind because he wants to do it for Jimmy.

I hesitantly buy into this storyline because it's a nice step toward humans rallying together against their alien overlords, but it also takes away from the "2nd Mass vs. the world" setup that looked so strong in the first two episodes. Didn't we all enjoy the feeling of danger that came with Weaver and everyone having to pack their bags and move every few weeks? And moving to Charleston will probably give us more situations where the dramatic tension comes from humans arguing with each other instead of killing aliens. I think I speak for everyone when I say we came here to watch some aliens die, not to witness military state chest-thumping. We'll see how things shape up; for now, at least we have purpose. But if the 2nd Mass gets stuck on Hershel's farm and mills around there for five episodes, count me out.

There was also more talk about Tom possibly being a sleeper agent for the aliens, but I'm still skeptical of that story, not because it isn't plausible but because of the way it was executed. I'm still looking for proof—let's see Tom make a questionable decision before we posit that he's being remote-controlled by aliens, eh? But Pope doesn't feel that way, so he refused to wait around for evidence and made the unwise decision to jump Tom and demand that Tom leave. But in your face Pope, Ben and Jimmy bum-rushed you and turned the tables (how embarrassing), and later Tom decided that he would join Pope's gang. I was a little bit unclear on the logic behind this development; Tom admitted that he may not be safe from alien control but said he should also have a weapon, and on top of that he should join Pope's group to keep an eye on Pope. But who's going to keep an eye on Tom? There's some flawed thinking there, but this isn't the sort of show that's concerned with stupid things like making sense. After a fight over Jimmy's compass, Pope decided to leave camp...again...and took Anthony with him. Does that leave Tom in charge of the rest of the Berserkers, or now that Pope is gone does he get to go back to being a gun-toting, possibly dangerous threat to the rest of the 2nd Mass? This could be one of those "what was the point of that?" moments, or it could lead to Tom having his own gang of cast-offs. Either way, I say it's time to kill off the Berserkers because I don't really see the point of having them around.

It's boggling that Falling Skies isn't using Pope the way it did to great effect in Season 1. When he was the anti-hero helping out the 2nd Mass, he was easily the best character on the show. Right now he's just a dick. Why regress with him after striking gold before? I see similarities to The Walking Dead's Daryl, who dazzled in the first half of Season 2 before drifting back to asshole territory in the second half. Pope seems destined to get stuck in a cycle of throwing a tantrum, leaving, and coming back. Pope as a semi-trusting rogue is much better than Pope as an angry jerk-face who wants to do nothing but cause problems.

Once again, the best part of the episode was saved for Ben. Tom's middle child had a pair of run-ins with Captain Red Eye, a super-Skitter that has some form of control over Ben and the LEDs on his spine. It's the same Skitter that received Tom's eye worm at the end of last week's episode and it looks like he's stalking the 2nd Mass, or maybe just Ben and his boyish good looks. Of course Ben didn't tell anyone about it. Bad idea, Ben!

I'm still waiting for Margaret, Anne, and Lourdes to step up with some form of storyline. Does this show hate women? Right now they have no purpose except to flirt with the guys, stitch the guys' wounds, and cry on the guys' shoulders. After a strong first season, Hal has also been very underused. Ensemble dramas need to nourish all their characters; otherwise they wither and die, and the women (and Hal) are starting to wilt.

"Compass" was a transition episode, bridging the first two "welcome back!" episodes with the main story (Charleston or bust!) that we'll follow throuhg the rest of the season. The combat was small-scale compared to what we saw in the first two episodes, which will likely be disappointing to some, but that was to be expected after all the bullets and Skitter guts that filled the opening 120 minutes. Another middling episode of Falling Skies, as it lacked the action of the first two but didn't make too many huge missteps. I have a feeling I'm going to be saying that a lot this season.

Notes

– Boy, you commenters did not disappoint last week! I opened last week's review with a discussion of how sci-fi fans tend to either love or hate Falling Skies, and it showed in the comments. This show is more polarizing than a magnet (I think that makes sense)! Some of you agreed with me, some of you wished a painful death on me. Seven more weeks of this after today, guys!

– Where did Pope and his gang get all that beer? And how are 176 people getting fed now that the 2nd Mass is moving around all the time? Just wonderin'. Especially about the beer.

– I know Pope saved Anthony's life, and going with him would allow Anthony to keep an eye on Pope to make sure he doesn't come back, but Anthony's reasons for joining Pope were pretty ridiculous. This show thinks that if characters say things convincingly, what they do will automatically make sense. Heading out into the woods with one lunatic because you think you owe him something versus staying with the group and having safety in numbers is an easy decision.

– How about Weaver's eulogy at Jimmy's funeral? Talking about how brave of a soldier he was. Haha. That was great.

am i the only one who actually hates Ben? He's whiny and a total jerk.
Great review, as usual:

"The writers are telling us that no one is safe. Except for Tom, Anne, Ben, Hal, Matt, Pope, Lourdes, and Margaret."

"Does this show hate women? Right now they have no purpose except to flirt with the guys, stitch the guys' wounds, and cry on the guys' shoulders."
how long dose ben think he can hide red eye's skitter control over, specially when his father finds out
Also, still unsure if Tom is a sleeper for the aliens or not, but it was most definitely hinted at that he was somehow special when the aliens released a bunch of humans from the first episode. The Mech killed every single human, but let Tom go. I found that a bit odd.
I definitely prefer the Pope from season 1, and I was hoping they'd use him in a similar way this season, guess not.

The strongest storyline, Ben's, is starting to annoy me. If he REALLY hates the skitters that much, then why wouldn't he tell Weaver or Tom or Hal about how that one skitter controlled him. It seems naive and is leaving himself open to being used against the 2nd Mass in the future.

And yes, I think we need some stories for the ladies! Maybe they can bring the Berserkers some beer or go on missions with them.
Staff
This is the second strike. Weak episode. Couple more of these and I am officially out of the shitty dialog/stupid character alien shit show.
sorry but i'm with the other, a bi-plane, skitters can track patrol in the dead of the night, but they can't track a plane, seriously all they would have to do is look up when they hear the engine not to mention they own gladers patrol the skies looking for the 2nd mass
why can't they let pope be pope, i like him better when he was playing against them now he become a upstanding civilized member of group. let he go wild again, granted, his attack on tom was more in character from the first season, but laterly his just turm soft
Anyone else think Jimmy's grave was a little shallow? Do they want him dug up and carted off my scavenger animals?
Staff
~4.5 feet. Tops. Definitely shallow.
The word Skitters is very close to Skittles. Skittles are round little candies like Reese's Pieces. Reese's Pieces were in the movie E.T.. Spielberg directed E.T. and is producing Failing Skies. Falling Skies is a pretty bad show. I don't like Spielberg stuff anymore. But I do like Skittles. And Reese's Pieces are okay too.
I didn't even know Jimmy existed 'till his dimise. Seriously, I was all like "what's their problem, why is everyone crying and why does this kid get a funeral with everyone attending?"

And beside the obvious irritations I was quite fond of Tom's decision to sign up with the berserkers. Machiavellian decision, brilliant first step to become humanity's leader bean.

BTW does anybody think the "red skitter" is Jimmy's mom?
I didn't they harnessed adults, at least they didn't show it. Don't think it can be Jimmy's mom since that skitter threw Jimmy into the tree that finally killed him.
klotensen wrote: "BTW does anybody think the "red skitter" is Jimmy's mom? "

Interesting idea really. Most of these type of show always have someone on the inside who helps them... She could be it, and for the reason you mentioned.
The first two episodes of season 2 had more of an adult feel to them though the show needs to go further in that direction.

Episode 3 was a bit of a set back, aside from getting rid of the Jimmy character. Pope is being totally mishandled...what a waste. .

Falling Skies is still the 'best' Spielberg TV show since the TV movie Duel ...but 'best' is all relative...I will continue watching since there isn't much Sci-Fi TV right now.
"Taken" the mini-series was great, tho Spielberg only exec-produced half of it.

But the caliber of writing was much, much higher.
if you trust that Charleston is there the way the pilot said it was, then i think your a fool. The alien overlord wanted Tom to lead humans to an internment camp. No way a place has electricity and hot water without the aliens knowing. Using Tom didn't work, so they decided to use the pilot instead. I could be proven wrong, but I hope not, cause the idea of 3000 people living so safely and the aliens not knowing is wrong for the type of story this is supposed to be. Time will tell.

And as for agreeing or disagreeing with the above article. You cannot expect too much, there will always be unanswered questions and taking the time to fill in every detail would be boring television. And as for Tom being an alien spy, i would not count on it, it is quite obvious the aliens don't need Tom, when they can control Ben whenever they chose.
How did the Red Eye Skitter get from Michigan to Boston? No plot or information to show this. How come they are so close in the perimeter of 2nd Mass and they go undetected. I thought they were hidden. I give up, alas, so many holes in the plot!

Interestingly the skitters came to pick up their dead and yet no mention was made of this by the humans! So many questions, so little time!!!!!!
Jimmy's dead... But his hair will live on.
To be honest I'm only watching this because all my other shows are on a break or have just been cancelled.... If you really want to do something with this show and start to make your audience sit up and go "Whaat?!!"

Have that red eye skitter that's somehow able to follow them across the states unseen, Tom Mason's wife, Hal,Ben and Matt's Mom.! That'll change the dynamic somewhat, were killing them but we ARE them.

The show has some potential, I see Ryan Robbins from Sanctuary has found.. er, Sanctuary on the show. It's still to 'clean' of a family show about resistance and survival if it were me I'd be pulling every dirty trick I could to fight back, to the point where the aliens would say "I've had enough let's nuke this Planet that guy is really **%$# me off"
I don't get how Jimmy was "freaked out by the skitter with the red eye" but didn't make him his first shot! You shoot the freaky ones first...

Also, I'm wondering if the Continental Congress is actually the sanctuary the aliens were talking to Tom about and it could be as Admiral Ackbar says "It's a TRAP!"
I was thinking the same thing that it could be a trap! Especially since when they started asking questions about the hot water and such and the plane lady just blew them off. What if she is working for the skitters like actress Blair Brown was in season1? What if she was sent to lure any survivors down to Charleston and have that be the human section of the planet, like the tall skinny alien from episode1 wanted Tom to do? Ya never know.
I don't think it's a trap. They just want to switch the premise of the show since it doesn't seem to work as well as they thought (i.e. viewers are more intelligent than they thought). They will now go from guerrilla warfare to urban warfare.

The downside for us is that more people, more opportunities for useless plot-lines.
That is no Scifi show... It's like "Little House on the Prairie" with a Scifi backdrop.

Tho I am perfectly sure that this one will not last 9 seasons.

First two episodes/hours: they've crossed a bridge. Third episode: Jimmy is dead. At this pace, they should reach Charleston by the end of the season. Well, at least they got rid of a useless character. Man, wasn't the funeral long and boring? What? They treat stupid kids like war heroes now? Gee, I hoe the captain or Tom don't die: they're going to spend the whole hour on that...

But, you know what? I'm still gonna watch it next week... 'cause there's nothing else on.

They have two more episodes to hook me because comes Jully 15th Breaking Bad and Leverage are beginning their new season.
I love the show and this episode wasn't so bad. Though the worst part was Ben crying, such a terrible actor. Also I wonder why didn't pope want to kill the Ben or the harnessed kids given that they act much much more weirder than Tom. Tom is acting normal and Ben is turning into a skitter, his skin is changing yet pope went after Tom and not Ben!
We call that "great story telling"...
Idiot! Jimmy's dead!
Of course, with the original post removed, my reply makes no sense, but the spam post started with "As Jimmy answered..."
TIM SURETTE i miss your captionaires in the photo rehash.... i was hoping for something

witty about a dumb blonde with a biplane being able to do what hi tech intergalactic aliens cant seem to do.... which is find large groups of humans. i'm really sick of that lame plothole....
Amen.
This 3th episode just sux.. idc about Jimmy.. the writing is just inconsistent and quite dissapointing... the development of Tom's awesomeness it's just to over do it in detriment of other characters, every episode more uncharming.. and.. looks like it's definitely.. there is no intelligence lifeform out there in the FS universe.. I'm afraid that we won't ever get to see the big picture in this show..
Not enough Sarah Carter.... One of the 2 reasons i am watching this show.
Sarah Carter is a terrible actress.... and where they keep finding peroxide and hair dye at the so called end of the world to keep her somewhat fashionably blonde?
I think they use urine... ;)
I just tried this. It doesn't work. Liar.
they should
Get.new.writers. I want like this show. So badly. I love post apocalyptic sci fi. So much.

The character development is terrible. All of the characters behaviour is so inconsistent.

And the kid who plays Ben is a terrible actor, and Di, my lord. How can one be so bad at acting with no lines???.

The back and forth with Anthony and Pope (don't get me started on bad guy gone good gone bad gone good again and then decided against it) and Weaver and Tom.

And are the Skitters deaf or something? Full on conversation and their 15 feet away?

Seriously, Get new writers.
Uhhhhh... I guess this episode was... okay. Actually, I have no idea how I feel about it. It managed to pass the time and I wasn't completely bored, so... there's that. On the other hand, I found the writing to be lazy or lame or lackluster or, or, or lactose intolerant?

I'll give them a nod for killing off Jimmy... when he was injured, I didn't think the show was willing to kill him off, so hats off to them for proving me wrong with that. But really, he wasn't a significant character. He was kind of around just enough to be sooooort of noticeable, and only when the writers needed a portrayal of stupidity (yes, yes, he was just a kid).
Why this series playing with average ?why why why ? the setup and the start up story has great potential to be ABOVE average but the plot is sooooooooooooooo slow ... dear script writer IS THIS ALL YOU GOT ? the story has More gaps than action , they try to focus in human-relations but it is obvius that the characters are DRAIN of varius feelings.. you don't accomplish that by killing a kid and show the ''old POPE'' THEY HAVE ONE ENEMY the ALIENS so you can make the plot more action-able than try to be the walking dead-ish...
Why do you keep doubting Tom's sleeper ability Tim? Why would he show that he's a sleeper, if he's a sleeper? Either he's not or the aliens aren't idiots and so aren't revealing their tricks. Pope is wholly correct to doubt Tom in everything he does, if he's a time-bomb you have no idea when he's going to go off, you should always be on alert.

Also, I see Falling Skies going in a Jericho way with the whole government thing coming into it, and as much as I liked Jericho, that is probably not going to work with Falling Skies because it's writing is sub-par.
PS ... watch continuum.... even though the anti corporationalists are the "bad guy" terrorists.... its a very good show.

falling skies... meh. watchable drivel mostly.
The tormented warrior theme is tired. And the chick who plays the lead, terrible.
Unfortunately, no. In the US there isn't any way to watch the actual tv episodes legally. Which stinks because that's the only way I watch stuff.

I keep hoping that either a US Network or Cable Station picks it up, or it becomes available on iTunes/Hulu/Netflix/etc.
I agree that Continuum is great. Sure Rachel NIchols is bad right now but I assume she'll get better as she eases into this sci-fi role and Erik Knudsen is as good as he was in Jericho but the major plus is that it's super nerdy and therefore it actually lays out time travel and paradoxes correctly, which is more than I can say for a lot of sci-fi shows. Though, whether it has any longevity remains to be seen.
Jimmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyy!!!!

Just remember, your hair will keep growing a bit after you are dead.....

fake rip, jimmy.
Ben has LEDs now! Awesome! I'm glad they didn't bury the compass. The show needs one. Now that Jimmy is gone. *sigh*
Because if one character held this show together, it was Jimmy?
This episode just bummed me out. Although I'm interested in what the connection is with the skitters and Ben, etc., the episode missed the mark for me. Between the child impalement, mysterious pilots and Pope acting confusingly out of character... I was kind of relieved when it was over.
Frack Falling Skies! It's so lame! Continuum has some potential for now ...
Oh yeah, Continuum is pure win
Why on earth aren't you writing about the FANTASTIC new series Continuum????????? Hasn't it aired in the US yet? Look it up, it's one of the best syfy dramas so far. Sooooo cool, believeble, smart and great.
I was wondering where they get all the gas the need for all those cars to drive so many times.
Since most people are dead or enslaved, I assume from abandoned cars and abandoned gas stations.
I haven't seen last night's episode yet, I have it recorded. However, I did see the first two episodes. I am so disappointed that nothing of what the group gained last season carried over into their fight. Why not create another signal transmitter to confuse the opponents? This was done and now forgotten? All these intelligent people (not) did anyone think that Tom might be carrying a transmitter? Tom himself should have known something was up due to being the only one not shot after being deposited on the ground! Also, why MIchigan?

I"m still a fan, but find it very hard to see so many kids question the authority of those with experience. What are our kids learning? Disobey because adults have no clue! I can see arguing and questioning, they don't have to be sheep, bottom line, they are kids. How can two kids be roaming around hunting skitters and mechs when adults have trouble? Well I guess they can't since Jimmy got killed. They have a bunch of whiny, spoiled kids with no respect for what is going on around them.

Okay, I'm done, but could question more.

Staff
NooooooO! Jimmmmmmmmmmmy!!!!
Hello! Isn't it obvious, that skitter, stalking the 2nd Mass/Ben, is probably going to turn out to be their mother and Tom's wife. Their is a mental connection between mother's and their children and since the Aliens seem to be communicating through telepathy, I believe that this is the mom/wife watching over/stalking them.
Even if she weren't killed, how young was the mom? 17? cause so far it seems like they only want to harness the kids, but then again they could just make stuff up as they go along. On a side note, why do they aliens have to be SO ugly!? Is it so hard to create a neutral looking alien that's still evil and hell bent on destroying earth? I mean the leader ones aren't as creepy, why do they have to convert humans to energy wasting 6 legged goey insect monsters?!?!?!?
I thought she was killed, not captured. Anyone remember if history guy said that she saw her die?
I think he'd only HEARD she died. And that the Surgeon from last season played by Steve Webber (that performed the surgery on the skitter-kids) was the one who was actually THERE.

I think he admitted to fleeing in fear or something, or that she died doing something HE was supposed to do.
Ick. That's the first I've heard of that theory but I don't like it. The thought of their mutated, creepy, one-eyed mother stalking them... yeah, just no thanks.
Staff
I've heard about this theory. I hope it isn't true.
why?
Pretty lady flies in with enticements too good to be true, and will put most of the fighting humans in one central location - sure let's go right now, yay!

IIRC, food caches don't generally put up beer because it goes bad quicker than hard liquor, especially without refrigeration. I'd find them brewing prison wine from cached sugar and canned fruit juice more believable.

Ben's "hatred" of the skitters appears so convincing, yet right after being tranced by Red-Eye, he's all "la la la, who me?" once another human shows up seconds after he's tranced. No inner turmoil face-shots or anything.
But if it's only been a couple of months since D-day (or whatever) then I'm sure there's still decent stuff to be found in homes, stores, whatever.

But yes, hard liquor would be the best bet to find and store.
I am of mixed feelings about this episode. While Jimmy had to die. They had to kill off someone in order to back off of the family friendly crap that they turned into a little bit last season and not go down that Terra Nova path where annoying kids get to wander through the screen and screw up everything without any consequences. So in part that is good. This is the alien apocalypse someone has to die and not people we only see once. So someone in the group had to go and Jimmy was the natural choice. However saying that, we didn't need to spend the whole damn episode talking about it. He should have died on the tree and been buried the next scene. No Ben whining and fake crying for half the episode because not only was that stupid. The kid isn't a good enough actor to pull it off. So we lose one moron kid to show it isn't family friendly and gain an hour of another moron kid crying about it. So they chose but didn't.

As for the Pilot. I think she is a plant. She is one of those like Tom that the Aliens asked to get people into one of their camps. Why? She is flying. First rule of an invasion is you have to use your technology to own what you can and prevent your enemies from using it. For technologically advanced Armies in the 20th and 21st century it is the sky. Flying, shortens travel and allows for passing messages quicker. And you can't have that, so you blow anything out of the sky that you can. Including her plane. If it is allowed in the sky then there is a reason for it. And I doubt it is good. Plus she knew how to play both Tom and Weaver. And with that she can't' be trusted. However it is a long way to Charleston and hopefullythey will figure it out.

As for Pope. The writers are really dropping the ball with him. He is a good actor and a great character and just making him a dick isn't working. Especially when a "hardened" convict gets his butt kicked by a history professor.

Everything else is all right. I like the scarface skitter and Ben. I like how they are focusing more on Tom instead of Ben. It will be a good reveal to the group when Ben betrays them or is forced to.

Overall it was good and they are stepping in the right directions but they are taking too much time to do so.
Enjoyable episode. I kinda forsaw them killing Jimmy off but it was done tastefully.

Decent episode with the red plane coming out of no where and the one eyed alien mind control stuff. Can't wait to see if Charlestown South Carolina turns out to be a death trap or something and when Pope's warning to kill him off comes into fruition.
yes jimmy dead! now just that annoying kid Matt.
Actually, Tom running with Pope's group makes tons of sense in SOME areas. The only down-side being Pope might want to frag him just to be careful (he MIGHT be compromised).

- Tom will face the aliens more with Pope's team, meaning it will be obvious "on the field" if he is compromised.

- If he IS compromised: Pope and his team will have no problem fragging him (something he'd probably want done).

- If he is NOT compromised: then convincing Pope and his team would mean EVERYONE would be convinced.

- He can also keep an eye on Pope so, assuming he's not compromised, he can help keep them on a leash.

So it's a good way to find out for sure, and to commit suicide if he is in fact compromised.
I thought it was funny that neither Weaver nor Anthony pointed out how easy it would be for Tom to have an "accident" while on patrol. You'd think someone would at least have mentioned that before going, "oh ya Tom, good idea."
I think that was the point of Pope cracking up when it was suggested to him (while they were in lockup).

But yeh, hence my one big down-side. It's good in theory, save for the fact that Pope might just want to frag him for the heck of it.
i stopped reading before the spoiler, but I was disappointed with the first episode...telling what happened in last season's cliffhanger through a flashback simply does not work...all the tension was gone because we already knew he made it back to camp...trying to create tension through the tired device of somebody accidentally getting shot and "will or won't they pull through" does not work. It didn't work for Walking Dead either. Very very very poor writing.

please fire the writers, and save this show from oblivion
I think you missed the intent, and thus are reasonably disappointed. I don't think there was any intent to create tension of whether Tom would live. The tension is whether Tom is reliable at this point, and the flashbacks fleshed out that question without answering it. In fact, I think it was a better choice to do it through flashbacks because we all knew Tom would be back, so let's cut to that and fill in the recent past as we go.
No, I understood that. They hit us over the head with an anvil on that point. That worked in Homeland, it doesn't work in this show.

That's an even less original plot point.

If you don't think the writers considered the gun shot wound to be a tension creating device, then you don't understand basic storytelling. No offense.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I want the show to succeed. But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Because if they continue with this kind of lazy story telling,t he show will fail sooner than later.
As for the beer and food, last season they made a big deal about food-runs... trying to find food in places like abandoned homes AND STORES. The stores were tricky though, because they were usually ambushes waiting to happen. I imagine all of those places would have beer as well.

Sure, if you wanted to... the show could just be following them trying to survive 24/7. But how many "food runs" would you sit through until you yelled BOOOOORING at the TV. So it's just presented that "this happens on a regular basis, now here's the real story."
You call that a significant character death?
I would love to see these people actually struggling to survive.... having to hunt or scavenge for food, find gas for the vehicles (which seems to be unlimited - over a year after the invasion!), instead of kicking their feet up, drinking beer and looking well fed. And what's with telling me repeatedly that you lost 124 people, even though I never saw it happen. Maybe they should have made the show about that period of time where all of these people were killed in the fight against the skitters. THAT would have been a lot more interesting and high stake than whatever this is right now.

Side note: I found it interesting that Tom's youngest son was basically nowhere to be seen this ep. Who was watching his kid, since none of the Masons or other major characters were?
Well, the pilot last season had some of that as well as some other episodes. They'd try scavenging for food at various stores but had to be careful because Skitters would hang out there as traps.

Cars, there are bound to be limitless cars lying around... BUT you'd need old cars that weren't zapped by the EMP. THAT is harder to find.
Still don't get that part though, even old cars have a spark to make the engine work. Not a single combustion engine work without electricity! Did they ever explain that? Can't remember many details about the first season except from the larger plot.
My limited understanding of EMP is: devices that are powered off get hit with induction running through their circuits. And since modern tech is often low-voltage with very small circuit boards for things, that induction is enough to fry stuff. So modern cars with lots of electronics means most of the electrical stuff is fried.

Older tech didn't have as much low-voltage stuff going on, and the circuits aren't so dense. So, IF POWERED OFF, they'd have a higher chance of surviving an EMP. So an old 1980's station wagon MIGHT run while a 2005 SUV won't.
There's no point killing a character that nobody cares about. They should have killed off one of Tom's sons. If nobody central dies then there's nothing at stake.
Worst: if everybody dies BUT the main character - "his girl" and/or his family - then I can only grow detached of the main lead. It happened to No Ordinary Family, it happened to Terra Nova's family and its happening to Tom's family.
Decent episode. Does anyone else think that a pilot with word of a sanctuary is a little to convenient and she's a alien plant trying to lead all the humans down to Charleston? I mean the aliens were trying to convince Tom to take all the humans to one place like an internment camp. Just saying.
Of course it is a trap! Didn't anyone notice that the whole point of the setting sun was to show us that Weaver just watched the pilot fly south even though she told everyone her mission was to keep heading north. Weaver clued in when talking about Jimmy's poor sense of "direction". Also, how could anyone have heard about Tom's famous escape? Only the aliens knew.
I thought maybe they should send a scout party before moving the entire group there. I mean, even if it's not a trap, what is this government? Elected by a whole 3000 survivors? Wow, you must be popular and effective. What if they get there and it's a dictatorship run by a cabal, or a bunch of infighting jackasses? Just open the lines of communication; you don't need to join the party right away.
I thought the same thing, and wondered by Tom didn't bring it up. Hmmm... a few months ago the aliens wanted us bunched together in large (prison) camps where'd we be left alone. Now a woman is saying there's a large city that is (for some reason) being left alone even though (A) have electricity and (B) have thousands of people.
I was thinking something along those same lines. A large, stationary city of people would make for an easy target for the aliens, just like when they first attacked the planet. So if they don't attack, guess what? That's where they really want you to be. Hot water, food and electricity probably sound pretty good to someone who's been on the run for over a year. The perfect place for such people to become fat, happy and complacent.
Yes and she had this giant jacket on but nobody ever checked if she had an alien backpack!! The Aliens know where they are and do not attack, why isnt anybody on to this!?!
She's too old. Only kids get harnesses.
oh yes - missed that one there. thx.

Anybody remember Boxey from the original Battlestar Galactica? Jimmy was just Boxey 2.0.
Load More Comments