Five Wonderful Surprises From Glee's Midseason Premiere

In last night's new episode of Glee, "Synchronized Romance" "Yes/No," Mr. Schue finally proposed to his OCD-crippled cupcake, Emma. It was a fun, fizzy, and yes, romantic episode that featured something I'd figured Glee had all but run out of: surprises. These were the best five:

1. Helen Mirren is the Voice Inside Becky's Head

"You may be wondering why I sound like the Queen of England. It’s simple. In my mind, I can sound like whomever I want. So lay off, haters!"

When I first heard the great Dame Mirren would be offering her voice to the show, I figured she'd lend her stately tones to someone like Kurt or Sugar Motta. But pairing her with Becky was a truly inspired choice, giving Sue's hench-cheerleader some hilarious new layers. Kudos, too, to Becky's Artie-wooing plot—a brave choice that acknowledged how even oddballs and outsiders aren't quite sure how to deal with the mentally disabled.

2. NeNe Leakes Can Act

I have no idea whose idea it was to put The Real Housewives of Atlanta star NeNe Leakes in the role of a synchronized swimming coach, but she knocked it out of the park. Seriously, make her a series regular. I couldn't get enough.

3. Glee Goes Dark—Real Dark

Well, I think we can all honestly say we didn't see this one coming: In an intense scene, Finn's mom, frantic over Finn's apparent choice to enlist in the military to follow in his father's footsteps, finally told Finn the truth about his dad: He wasn't killed in the Gulf War. He returned, suffering heavily from PTSD, and died of a drug overdose. Um, whaaaaat? Can we get back to Grease singalongs, please? This is freaking me out.

4. The Proposal!

You know, the one thing Glee had yet to really tackle was an homage to the great Esther Williams and her synchronized swimming numbers from old Hollywood musicals. This number, set to Rihanna's "We Found Love," had it all, including Artie in the deep end.

5. The OTHER Proposal!

Any guesses as to what Rachel is going to say? I'm having visions in flowy white, two gay dads giving her away, and Kurt and Blaine, both in tails, doing an all-male tribute to Top Hat on the Beth Israel congregation ballroom floor.

What did you think of the episode? Are you happy to have Glee back?

I bet she'll say no, just to stir up drama so they can break up again, uggh!

And it's looking like Kurt, Finn and Rachel will be doing the super-senior victory lap next year after they graduate. Though that begs the question if they will ever end up leaving McKinley High; if the show goes on for much longer they'll end up living under the school just to keep the show running...

Yay for Becky! Wasn't she just the best part of that episode? And Sue is human again, which is great because for the last little while she was doing the whole 'being a b**** because being a b**** if fun' thing.

Plus Mr.Schue's proposal was so cute and I just loved it! I may have teared up a bit, I am such a romantic, I just can't help but love that sort of huge gesture.
I thought they attempted to cram too much story into one hour w/o fleshing out stuff that could have lasted longer.We got random Wemma which was awesome but honestly I'm still waiting for when they adequately explained and showed when they became so serious. They haven't been showing them much at all. Shannon and Cooter got engaged and that was covered in all of one line. Becky's storyline got squeezed in there...was awesome seeing her get some air time, but so much was going on I could barely blink. Finn's father and all that jazz with the army and then throwing himself at Rachel. Sam joining the team and the touch on Samcedes w/o it being nearly enough. I think my head was spinning! I liked some of the stuff I just think too much happened in one episode which supports my theory of how Glee operates in two extremes. Either they have too much storylines going on or not enough. They'll drag out a Kurt/bullying storyline for half a season but rush through an entire characters storyline in one episode...or cover something as big as Coach Beiste getting married in one line. I also thought the proposal was kind of silly. I liked seeing NeNe Leakes...I thought the jokes were overkill but did remind of season one Glee.
I LUV THE SUMMER NIGHTS PERFORMANCE OF SAM AND MERCEDES. MORE ON THEM PLEASE
So shocked you all thought that Will's little speech to Finn about how "you taught me how to be a man" didn't make you change the channel. Seriously? Saint Finn this season is not in the least bit appealing to me, not to mention utterly NON-believable.

Loved Becky's subplot - utterly fantastic from start to finish. Too bad the rest of the ep was so ridiculous. All the teary singing from the girls just reminded me how melodramatic high school girls can be who truly think high school is the be all and end all of existence. I thought the more realistic moment in Breadsticks with Kurt bemoaning the future was more to the point. Yeah, I know, looking for realism in Glee? What was I thinking?

Loved Grease, like Mercedes' dilemma, chuckled over Sam joining Synchronized Swimming. And Becky? Fantastic! The rest? Fast forward.
This episode was clearly above average. It had a lot of singing, I liked Helen Mirren, and I think that now that the students feel a little bit of pressure to make something out of themselves, the potential for story lines is exciting. The characters need to address some important questions, so the current direction of the show is quite open (apart from them probably winning the nationals). So far things have just happened without any real direction, but now that their relationship problems need to be solved before they graduate, there are things to look forward to in the story.
Curse you, Abramovitch!!! I was attempting to quit Glee and then your article pops up with the words "Wonderful Surprises" and "Glee" together. - grrrr -
There are so many people out there who won't watch Glee because they think they know what sort of show it is and are above it, including some TV.com writers that I try to start fights with. They are missing out on the subtle joys that the show can bring, like the ones Seth listed. Even in an episode like this one which wasn't among Glee's best, the episode was still thoroughly worthwhile. On the other hand, let us not speak of 'Extraordinary Merry Christmas' ever again.
Most important part for me was Sam in all his wet, half naked glory.
Sure, it was a bit over the top, but it's glee :)

1.Helen Mirren was a great choice for Becky, I like how they tackle these issues.

2. NeNe was actually very funny! How she said that line seriously: 'If you pee in the pool, I will kill you'

3. Didn't particularly like that scene, but Finn didn't have the right reasons to join the army anyway.

4. This was truly awesome! So over the top and at the same time.. just epic!

5. Hated that. Finn is such a bleeding idiot sometimes. Rachel should be sensible and refuse him. Maybe through a song?
Ew, why is everyone so pasty white? They look like Irish people who never see the sun. Is there no sun in Ohio?
Oh, and let's not forget the Jagger mash-up! Artie is awesome!
I was very excited about this episode! Finally, it got good again! But what was with Rachel crying in The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face, I'm starting to think that all she can do is cry when she sings. Lol. But I was SOOOOO happy that Emma sang Wedding Bell Blues! It's one of my all time favourites (obsessed with it as a kidlet) and it was done very well. Great ep, but I really hope Rachel and Finn don't get married - BORING!
Seth, you like this show too much....you're not thinking about how stupid some of the things you just saw are. I don't care how candy-coated their world is, getting married in high school is one of the stupidest things you can do. The other stupid things, Glee has already covered.
I think I like Glee just enough: Able to appreciate it when it clicks, but definitely aware of its shortcomings when it blows it. (Read my Christmas episode recap if you want an example of the latter.)
Even if getting engaged (let's not rush ahead, even the engagement is uncertain at this point) in high-school is 'stupid' which it usually is, it happens in real life and should be addressed in fiction. Do you want Glee to only present characters acting like intelligent unrealistically-well-adjusted 'role models'? It's never been that kind of show. Also it's believable which is so important.
I was not expecting a proposal from Finn. I was so surprised when he got down on one knee, and I'm sorry, but I wasn't to happy about it. It's just way too soon...
it was great but I waited until today to watch it. the Finn/Rachel surprise was ruined by some news person on TV today. How is that so important to put in a promo? I think they're way too young to get married and I think she'll say no cuz she gets into NYATA. I'm such a pessimist but Rachel is obsessed with getting into that school. if she chooses him over the school that would be amazing. maybe Kurt will get in and she'll get bitter. man I sound so pessimistic! sorry. I really did enjoy the episode. :)
I was genuinely surprised, but this episode was actually quite good! It might just be recent Glee failures making this episode seem better than it is, but it's definitely at least the best for a long while.
I'd like to say.... FINALLY!!! Ugh! After weeks of hits and misses a good solid episode. Is this season 1? Cause it reminds me of that feeling I got. The actual tears and me wanting the commercials to go faster. It brought back the good times. Keep it up, Ryan Murphy!
The Grease scene was my favorite by far, I <3 Grease!
Glee is always hit or miss, but this episode was on the bullseye. It's episodes like that are the reason I watch every week!
A quality episode. I really enjoyed Helen Mirren voicing Becky's inner dialogue, that was a clever twist.
I loved that episode!! It would be one of my all time favourites! I laughed, I cried, I got goosebumps when the girls were singing.....

Wow, just wow!

One, teeny, tiny complaint - Rory only has 7 episodes and yet we hardly see him. Please, please - more Rory!!! Or just keep him around for the rest of the season, that would be even better :)
I think I heard somewhere that theyre were signing him on for more episodes.
This comment has been removed by SOPA and PIPA.

Look them up. Discover why our representatives must vote against them.
Someone should inform the American Government that SOPA and PIPA in Greek mean "shut up" and "b***job" respectively...
Although, I have to say, your title is much better and more inspired. :P
The title of the episode is "Yes/No"... where did you get that title from?
I haven't even watched the whole episode yet, only 15 minutes in so far and I LOVE IT!!!!! I have a ridiculous, huge, stupid grin on my face right now.....
Now I don't watch Glee anymore, but...

I do have to say that Rachel should totally say no to Finn. He's a total deadbeat loser and he will hold her back. He will always be jealous of her talent and can't come with her to NY if she goes. He'll find someone else eventually, as will she. Also he probably rushed the proposal because of the news about his dad-he wanted confirmation that his life still has some direction. Plus, getting married in high school is never a good idea. They're only just starting to discover themselves as adults and people change.

Of course, since they're signed for the 4th season (right?), they'll probably end up getting married and going to school in the area while helping assistant coach the glee team.
You clearly haven't watched Glee lately.
One of my fave episodes yet. I agree on Nene Leakes. I didn't expect her to be good but I love her character already. Having Helen Mirren be Becky's inner voice was so clever.

I kind of guessed that soething like that between Rachel and Finn might happen, but I thought at the most he'd just give her a promise ring, I didn't expect him to propose.
i felt this episode had too much going on, but it was good nonetheless. will asking finn to be his best man is really cute, this episode didnt have too much santana which is always a plus, sam was such a sweetheart trying to win mercedes back and i really really hope they get back together soon, and im glad emma says yes. teenage proposals always irk me because its like just because they can get married doesnt mean they have to. i mean i get where finn;s coming from because he feels like he has nothing in his life except for rachel, but if you cut together the entire time they;ve been in a relationship together thats only about a year and finchel is great, i love finchel but they;re not cory and topanga. they can be together without getting married so i hope finn goes with her wherever she goes without them getting hitched.
I'm glad it wasn't an episode focused on Kurt and Blaine. Rachel should say no if she is smart. They are way too young. LOVED Helen Mirren.
I think Finn will follow her. He has so much potential as well, he just needs to find himself outside Ohio. Awesome, awesome episode.
the Rihanna song is "We Found Love" btw lol

Helen Mirren as Becky's mindvoice was great. I knew it couldn't be Kurt, we've heard him do voiceovers before so it had to be somebody who hadn't, I hadn't thought of Becky really since she's not so much of the main cast, but it was great. I don't understand why everybody wore retro swim outfits but whatever. Personally didn't like the 'other' proposal, Rachel's supposed to go away and be this big star, but Finn probably won't want to go where she goes.
Staff
Good catch on the song title, we'll fix it.