FlashForward is Given a Get-Well Break

Those of you who managed to stick around through the end of Thursday's improbable episode of FlashForward saw a promo declaring that the show will return in March. This was news to fans, because as far as they'd been told, FlashForward was set to return in January.

Which mean's last night's installment, "A561984," was the last new one we'll see until March 4. ABC says it wants to keep the show away from the Winter Olympics and run the series straight through without any repeats. But let's be honest here: While FlashForward looked like a possible next-big-thing when it debuted, ABC must be heartbroken over its recent numbers. Last night's episode drew just a 2.2 rating in adults, a series low. By comparison, the series premiered with a 4.1 rating (which has declined ever since).

The scheduling move also brings up another thing: April 29, 2010 is very important to the show's story (it's the day everyone supposedly saw in their flashforwards), and producers were set to make the April 29 episode a doozy. But will that episode be pushed back now, or will the story be shoehorned to fit? Another problem: ABC has picked up the show for 25 episodes (oops!), but a March 4 return means the season finale of a 25-episode order would fall in the second week of June. I don't see that happening; I'm guessing an order reduction will be made if FlashForward makes it that far.

Because "A561984" did nothing to restore my faith in show. In fact, it included some of the most ridiculous moments of the series thus far. First, finding a Persian woman in Hong Kong—with no leads other than a recording of her voice—is not as simple as stepping into the first Persian restaurant one sees. That's insulting. Second, when that guy from Coupling (the British version) reveals he may have caused the blackout at a press conference full of professionals, a woman in the audience—presumably a reporter—grabs a security guard's gun, screams, "You killed my family," and fires shots at the podium. Can someone please tell me where that load of B.S. came from? Maybe she works for The Daily Lunatic—I don't know. Third, dialogue. In a ridiculous line related to my first point of contention, Joe Fiennes (who continues to show up on set just for a paycheck) says, "Persian woman, Persian food. Yahtzee!"

Funny, I was thinking Sorry!.

May 31, 2010
I think the show is great and just watched a brilliant finale. We want a second series....surely they have to have one! :)
Jan 16, 2010
Truely intrigued by the show and really looking forward to unravelling the mystery. However I have to agree the last episode was for me incredibly frustrating - they find THE Persian woman in Hong Kong - JUST LIKE THAT. They live in a time of hyped up terroism paranoia but two FBI agents who have no legal authority outside of their country managed to sneak their revolvers into another country. Or as FBI agents acting without the authority of their supervisors have Diplomatic immunity or access to diplomatic pouches. The British guy tells the world he and his colleagues may have caused the death of 20 million people and only one person wants to kill him - everybody else who lost family, friends or whatever just give him the silent treatment. And because of his courage in making this admission the Doctor now admires him - he may have caused the death of 20 million people! The person I am gaining a liking for is Dominic Monaghan he's arrogant, brilliant, peeved with his soppy colleague and annoyed that someone else may be cleverer than him. I will continue to watch the show (because I really do like it) but hope that the writers pursue more plausible story lines otherwise the sheer frustration will overcome my curiosity and I'll have no excuse to take time out for 45 minutes to relax and enjoy the show.
Dec 13, 2009
Yes indeed the show needs a recheck.It can be done i 2 weeks I presume and there is no need to wait 'til March.
Dec 13, 2009
this is a brill, show, no idea what ye are on about needs fixing.. thats just nonsense, and in no way shouls it end its like a new LOST BUT WITHOUT THE ANNOYING NEVER ENDING END
Dec 13, 2009
I like the show...

XO XO

:):):):)
Dec 08, 2009
It is not the British version it is the original. I didn't know that there is US version, but then again you have your own version of everything. I think it is really stupid to wait until March, but what can you do when finally we have a show that is intelligent and with a great story but only US numbers and viewers count. That is stupid!!
Dec 08, 2009
I want to like this show. I am trying to like this show. I watch every week, in fact. But I can't help but feel let down each and every week. I hope this break is used wisely. Fix this show!!
Dec 07, 2009
I really wanted to like this show but I couldn't make it past the first four episodes. It looks like ABC is panicking and trying to figure out what to do with the show.
Dec 07, 2009
thank you tim, your articole is awesome!
Dec 07, 2009
i like it
Dec 07, 2009
I have to say, people stoppped watching it cause the storyline took a turn for the worst. What caused the entire blackout thing was a ridiculous thing and the entire show also just seems to be copying lost. It should be cancelled, but they'll let it stay because people think it looks like lost. It was the same thing with prison break. that show got really lame. They need to stop letting bad shows go on and give new ones that may get good a better chance.
Dec 07, 2009
I stopped watching it after 7 episodes, I think. Whenever I "fastforward" something is bc I know it too well or it's boring (this is the case).
I don't know if it's bc I'm getting used to 12 episodes seasons (LOVE Showtime and its shows) or it was plain boring; or both.
It started OK with the plot but it's moving at such a slow pace! It's one of those shows in which NOTHING happens in an episode but others manage to keep the attention.
This isn't the case.
Dec 07, 2009
Wow. Some of you lasted a lot longer than I did with this show. I gave it two episodes and I was out, and I thought I was being generous. Gave up on Dollhouse, am about to give up on V... Even when a sci-fi show is excellent (Terminator: TSCC, Invasion, Firefly), they just can't get the ratings. I'm surprised that exec keep giving them the green light. I wonder how much longer that will last. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if FlashForward doesn't come back at all. FOX pulled the plug on Drive and said it would air the remaining episodes on a specific date, then backed out of it. HBO said they'd come up with a movie to wrap up Deadwood, then backed out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if ABC hopes we all forget about this show come March.
Dec 06, 2009
Slooooooowwwww! And the "hook" wasn't deep enough...
Dec 06, 2009
I think the main problem with the show is uneven direction. Some episodes have great feel and atmosphere, while others feel like parodish fillers of what the show's trying to accomplish. Even tho, I feel the plot deserves an ending, and i really don't get why they would WANT to have another season. For me, get to April 29, and a few episodes after that, and be done with it.
Dec 06, 2009
FlashForward is another show that uses an interesting premise to lure viewers in but then appears to go nowhere other than a mishmash of 24 meets the conspiracy theory elements of X-Files. The notion of now having a gap splitting the season seems a crazy move unless they want to kill the show. Look what happened to Kings. As to the cliffhanger elements of the mid-season break episode they just weren't strong enough. The only show that successfully pulled it off was the remake of V which did make one think 'yep I'll look forward to that returning' next year.
Dec 06, 2009
And of course I made a typo and just realized it now. Thing instead of think on the third sentence
Dec 06, 2009
This show is garbage. Pure garbage. I might thing this because I had very high hopes when it started, thinking this would be the next LOST. I've only seen five episodes and cannot bring myself to watch anymore. Sure I'm only halfway through the pre holiday break, but there is just nothing drawing enough to bring me back. Right now the only reason I can see to get caught up and finish out the season is for the finale, to see the day everyone envisioned. But even then I think to myself, if they consider bringing this back for a second season, there will most likely be some major unanswered twist that will make you come back in the fall to find out about. LOST used to do that all the time, the biggest one for me was when they opened the hatch and looked down that endless opening. I just hope this season of FlashForward ends in such a way that it completes a story, with a brand new chapter next season, and no lingering WTF's.
Dec 06, 2009
I had such high hopes for the show when it started - partly because of the alleged (ALLEGED) similarities to Lost and partly because the premise was intriguing and so were the actors.
The first episode did little to impress me. I tried, and I tried to convince myself that I liked it. And I kind of did - there were moments I didn't like, but there some I did. The acting bothered me from the start (stiff and somewhat cliched), and the characters weren't likable to me (if anything, some of the actors were more endearing and familiar). The initial set-up with the board and the random flashes of future scenes was a Memento-feel for me, which I loved immediately. So I gave the show time.
But as soon as the monotone main character uttered the crack about Britney Spears, during the hackneyed Nazi episode, I shut it off. The humor in the show is insulting. The plot, I think, eventually began to require a full suspension of logic, and that's something I just couldn't do. I might've been hooked on the "THIS IS THE NEW LOST" hype, but something about the show - I just couldn't take it. I wish I could, as I really hoped to enjoy it, but there were just some flaws that I couldn't overlook.
Dec 06, 2009
I liked this show when it just started out but there were some major problems.I won't say them bcoz Prup-aka-JBentn already explained it in a long comment below. This show is getting boring like Heroes and the only reason i am watching it is bcoz I am a fan. I started watching this because Lost wasn't coming back till next year and I heard that this was a similar show but now that it isn't coming back till March, which is around the time when Lost starts back, I will probably not watch it. Although I hope it gets better!
Dec 06, 2009
I love this show, I was really dissapointed after the 2nd episode, and lost faith in it for a while, but somewhere around the 7th episode it really picked up steam and I have been loving it ever since. Sure its a little over the top, but the twists they throw in make it compelling. Its a hell of a lot better than V, which is just getting ridiculous, their cliffhanger was that there were more ships than the 12 we had already seen... Big whoop, I practically thought that was already a given.
Dec 05, 2009
You either like the show or you don't. Sure with every show there is something that isn't quite right. But that is just it. It is a TV show. It is not meant to be taken so seriously. You either jump in all the way or stay out. None of this half way stuff. If you jump in then you can let little things go and enjoy the ride. If you just dip your toe in then you will sit back and gripe about things like Persian food. Yahtzee. I do think though that Abc is pretty dumb for pulling it off the schedule till March. The same with V. What little chance they both had of making it to a second season was pretty much killed the moment they decided to push it till march. When will they learn.
Dec 05, 2009
I like this show but sometimes it does get a little crazy
Dec 05, 2009
Eh, while I recognize these flaws I thought yesterdays episode was the best one yet
Dec 05, 2009
this show has plummeted fast. Delaying until March is just going to mean an even WORSE share when it starts back up. I think this show is done for.
Dec 05, 2009
The show had a brilliant 5-minute opening, and immediately afterwards lost all touch with reality, common sense, or experience. I'm a NewYorker, and it took two weeks for things to even start getting back to normal after 9/11 -- and two friends of mine who just worked in the area have still not entirely recovered from the trauma.

FF -- even accepting it's minimalizing of the death toll, which would have included anyone traveling in a car or plane, as well as people in buildings the cars and planes would have crashed into, and the injuries would have included anyone even walking up or down steps -- has everything back to normal in two days.

An event that would have had world-wide consequences, probably including the fall of every government then existing and world-wode martial law, is being investigated by one office of the FBI.

Even given the ridiculous ideas above, the "Mosaic" idea goes forward, having all sorts of people posting intimate personal material for the whole world -- including every con man -- to see.

And as for the Flash Forwards and the burning question whether they can be changed -- well, if my FF put me in my own living room, and I saw the painting on the wall that's been there for years, I'd just take it out and burn it, and would know if they could be or not.

If the show were better acted and written, it might make a great parody of SF -- but it's not.

Flash Forward. Flush Downward.
Dec 05, 2009
i really have no idea why people hate this show, it think its amazing, it is just people like this write bad reviews of good shows just so they make themselves seem cool...bs.
Dec 05, 2009
OMG! THIS CANT BE TRUEE!... is tim surette talking trash about a show? ... this is a shocker for sure. Surette get a life!! you have zero influence in people... people dont stop watching or keep watching shows because of you.. so dont try it anymore and instead.. we could start writting about good things? like the end of your sad career?
Dec 05, 2009
I literally stopped watching the episode the second Joseph Fiennes said 'Yahtzee'. I would rather hit myself in the face for 40 minutes straight than have to endure another line of dialogue like that.
Dec 05, 2009
I still watch it, and I find it enthralling. I don't know what all the hate is about.
Dec 05, 2009
Flashforward is nothing more than big disspoitment.! I dont even watch it anymore, so i dont care about show getting canceled
Dec 05, 2009
Yay for Lost! Don't care about Flash Forward.
Dec 05, 2009
100% agree - meh for FlashForward!... great idea just extremely slow & boring... However there is great news - LOST is almost here :)
Dec 05, 2009
meh if they cancel it its no loss to me. it started with a good idea but the execution was way off the mark.
Dec 04, 2009
Excuse me, but you are sick !! this is one of the best shows i've ever seen... If you just don't like it, then at least stay away and don't watch it, but don't say that it's not good, because if it's not good, so why are you still watching it ??!!
Dec 04, 2009
Well, is it out of the realm of possibility that someone, when learning the people who may be responsible for her family's death, would go nuts and try to kill them? I think that Joseph Fiennes should just have been cast as someone who was not a natural born American so he could speak in his regular accent. His serious grumblings are a pain. Better yet, John Cho should have had his role.

BETTER YET, I'd rather watch a Coupling reunion :)
Dec 04, 2009
I've enjoyed the whole series thus far. I don't think it could go on for more than a few seasons, at the most, though. I just hope it lasts that long. I don't want another show I enjoy end without the story finishing.
Dec 04, 2009
Gave up some time ago. What a shame, great idea.
What ever happened with Somalia, did they bother to go and look at the one place where a blackout seems to have happened before, where is still hardware to look at?
Or did they release that Nazi guy and then think, bah! Somalia, I'm sure it wasn't important.
Dec 04, 2009
I've been enjoying the series. But I think anything more than one season might be too much. How about a shorter season that is fully contained i.e. that wraps up the story nicely.

Agreed - some of the logic in the plot is a bit incredulous.