Forbidden Love: Five TV Hook-ups That Left Fans Fuming

Earlier this week, Chuck got fans all fired up when both Chuck and Sarah—the couple all of fandom is rooting for—moved on to other love interests. Chuck was seen locking lips with Hannah (Kristin Kreuk), while Sarah accepted a more-than-friendly massage from Agent Shaw (Brandon Routh). Most fans are working through their heartbreak by repeating a mantra of patience and convincing themselves that Chuck and Sarah are meant to be together—and will be when the time is right. Some, however, are not as forgiving.

In an anonymous comment posted on Alan Sepinwall’s review of the episode, one fan actually called for a boycott of the show. This, of course, is a terrible idea—boycotting Chuck will only ensure its cancellation. We were reminded, however, of other instances in which TV shows suffered fan outrage after breaking up a relationship. Here are five shows whose character breakups inspired rage among fans devoted to keeping their OTP (One True Pairing) together—by any means necessary.

Show: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Sinking Ship: Joss Whedon kills off Tara and, to some fans, becomes a homophobe
Always a fan of the surprise deaths, Joss Whedon got his fair share of flak when he killed off Willow’s girlfriend Tara. But the real shock came when angry fans labeled their beloved Joss a homophobe. Although Willow and Tara had maintained a (mostly) happy relationship for two seasons, killing Tara and ending the ship was enough to get fans finger-pointing. Ironically, Whedon’s decision to give Willow a new girlfriend in Season 7 only increased the backlash.

Show: Smallville
Sinking Ship: Even Hitler wants Clark and Chloe together
Surely Smallville fans know that Clark Kent ends up with Lois Lane; it’s an essential aspect of the Superman story. And yet, hardcore Clark/Chloe (“Chlark”) shippers have engaged in fervent battle with the Clark/Lois (Clois) fans throughout the past several seasons. In this parody video, Hitler reacts to Season 9’s reduction of Chloe’s role to make room for Clois. (Not really, of course. If you speak German, just read the subtitles.)

Show: Supernatural
Sinking Ship: The lead actors dare to find real-life love with people other than one another
For some Supernatural fans, shipping extends to the actors involved with the show. That’s right: They take the “b” out of the Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles bromance. Far be it from us to judge, but things got out of hand when both leads got engaged. Ackles’ fiancée Danneel Harris got hate-spammed on Twitter, but neither actor was safe: According to some especially crazed fans, Padalecki and Ackles just won’t be happy until they admit their true feelings for each other.

Show: Veronica Mars
Sinking Ship: Logan’s new squeeze gets shipped off without a goodbye
One of the first shows to really respond to fandom, Veronica Mars frequently used easter eggs to let fans know the writers were paying attention. And while diehard devotees kept watching long after the series went off-track—come on, you know it did—they took objection to Logan’s new girlfriend, Hannah. She was bland and, most importantly, not Veronica. Did writers respond to those complaints by getting rid of Hannah? It’s unclear. But she did have one of the hastiest departures in TV history.

Show: Roswell
Sinking Ship: Emilie de Ravin almost gets deported back to Australia
OK, it never actually came to that, but believe it or not, Max/Liz fans (“Dreamers”) were so incensed by the Max/Tess pairing that they began a petition to get Australian actor Emilie de Ravin (Tess) deported. Thankfully, nothing ever came of this misguided and rather heartless campaign. By the end of the series, the Dreamers got the wedding they’d hoped for all along. And while Tess didn’t make it out of Roswell alive, de Ravin has found even bigger success on Lost—with her Australian accent, no less.

Follow TV.com writer Louis Peitzman on Twitter: @LouisAtTVDotCom

is this an article or an ad for the cw?
That Hitler fad has been used for everything. Also, the episode of Supernatural where they meet the "prophet" who turned their lives into a popular novel series was a humorous tribute to crazed fandom.
The list could be endless all the shippers are like that some fans are insane but it's no news. Anyway i find it hard to believe that the roswell one could be a serious thing and not a simple joke based on Emilie's existing problems with her permanent residency (at the time). Emilie De Ravin herself said that she never received any hate mail from the fans. Get real her character wasn't likable and since her first apparition she was hated by everyone even the ones who didn't care about the OTP of the show. She even killed Alex and she destroyed one of the shippers (the alex/isabel one) for good (Isabel even married another random guy). The Max/Tess thing was the huge BS that lasted only two very rushed episodes it was always damn obvious that the end would be Max/Liz. Tess was a rebound and she manipulated him for her own agenda, he would always love the human girl. To be fair the hardcore Tess fans were insane too and they always hated Shiri Appleby (the actress that played Liz Parker) with fierce passion they even used to call her "bot" saying that she wasn't a real person. The immatures always blamed the dreamers because Tess was evil and M&T were the worst pair ever created like if the dreamers were the writers of the show. Same goes for the fans of the Isabel/Michael pairing dear lord they used to bash the Michael/Maria fans saying that it was their fault if the writers didn't give a chance to their shipper. People simply can't accept it when their ship or favorite character sucks so they blame the other fans.
I never got to see the 3rd and last season of Roswell (didn't have cable or satelite TV back then), so it's nice to know that Max and Liz got married and Tess died.
I agree with SilentSerph. In an interview Marina Siritis was annoyed by that pairing and said she considered her Counselor Troi to have Commander Riker as a boyfriend. a baby or an unfortunate pairing will sound the death knell of a series.
so sad that ppl get so worked up about these things, there not real ppl, i was sad when tara got killed, but i never thought her death made him a homophobe, others clearly feel differently... as far as these newer shows, i don;t watch chuck, lost track of supernatural, never watched veronica mars, and lost track of roswell...
Worf and Troi dude. It's like they all got together and said "Okay, what's the least believable male-female pairing in the entire cast?"

I'm happy Chuck and Sarah are moving on to other love interests. I hate it when they send seasons upon seasons milking the 'Will they/won't they' tension that never goes anywhere. It gets old so fast, and sooner or later you learn it's never going to go anywhere until maybe the last episode, and you stop caring.
The most hear aching lovely romantic couples are Logan and Veronica ,Angel and Buffy , Mulder and Scully. The most one that interrupted and really dislike was cordella and angel i couldnt stand it. I only hope that they decide to do the movie about Veronica mars and Logan and x files. because i deeply need a lovely happy ending
hahahaha fans are plain crazy, what's up with deporting and hate mail, people, come on
I think Chloe is good for Clark, but there doesn't have to be romance involved. What's making me sad is his totally apathy for her feelings these last few episodes. I think Chuck can find somebody better than Sarah. Sarah and Casey are more interesting to watch together (but it's like hoping Penny and Sheldon will end up together). I am happy Jared and Jensen have found love in real life. Hannah was worth it on VM to see Kristen Bell's acting as she watched Logan and Hannah walking off hand in hand. It also made me happy to see LoVe get back together at the end of Season 2. I agree when exactly did VM get off track?
I can't believe you omitted Lorelai and Christopher getting together in season 2 and then again in season 6 & 7. Worse couple ever.
I think this article is completely on point. While I'm not familiar with the last two, the first three made me laugh a little bit. My thoughts are these: The Buffy one was weird/crazy. The death of Tara was a little devastating to the fans, but needed for the series to take it to the next level. But like every good fan, I hated Kennedy.
The Smallville thing, it just hurts. Chloe is the best thing ever that happened to Clark, plus the fact that Allison Mack hasn't abandoned ship like everyone else, of course the fans are going to want the best for her character. Smallville is already an alternate Superman-verse, so why can't there just be a Chlark, even Hitler wants it.
The idea of the Supernatural brother romance is just weird. I love how it is so ridiculous that they even got it into the show. Now that is a show that does fan service.
I thought I was going to die when they showed Angela kissing Wendell on Bones some weeks ago. Luckily, that's probably already over : )
I agree with maddyjames.
SPN fandom can be nuts. For the sake of my sanity, I stay away from the fandom. I'm surprised OTH isn't here. Chuck fans, really have nothing to worry about. Trust me, the point is to keep the tension building up. How can Chuck fans freak out when it's fairly obviously Chuck/Sarah is endgame? Don't even get me started on the rabid Chloe/Clark fans. Scary group of people who try to get people who give Clark/Lois spoilers fired. Yikes. Every fandom has got its crazies and its best to stay away from them.
I. Love. You. (I agree with all of them and watch/ed all of the shows... and I DIED when I read the SPN one. Definitely sharing this on FB). It's pretty crazy that fans would actually harass Jensen's fiance. And Joss is so obviously not a homophobe. But I do support all of the pairings (well, not wincest, but I do joke about it a lot with my friend... I'm more in favor of Dean/Castiel or (spoiler... *sniffle*) Dean/Jo... Sam can't be with anyone because all the girls he sleeps with die).
The reason Buffy fans flipped out over Kennedy in Buffy season 7 had nothing to do with homophobia and everything to do with how much we hated the character Kennedy. And with all the mancrushes that Joss has it's ridiculous to think he's a homophobe, any fan knows they'd been working in the gay angle for several years and that it was Joss's plan to either make Willow or Xander gay But we hated Kennedy, not the fact that Willow was with a woman.
I actually don't mind the Chuck/Hannah pairing cos it clearly won't last...people need to chill and just enjoy the show :D
Hmmm I keep thinking 'why chuck and sarah hooked up with lana lang and clark kent?'
According to Ausiello, Booth and the marine biologist might make this list from Bones.
Pitiful that so many of us live vicariously thru our favorite characters. I.E Jason Dohring as tv's Logan was so hott and i so loved Kristen Bell as Veronica what with her grief driven angst and witty comebacks i wished i was her so they should not have had that stupid on again of again romance that so many do but instead glide on their own wind and stay together forever.
Tara's character was boring and needed to be killed off
Kristin Kreuk you are beautiful
Totally agree on that Tess intervention on Roswell. For some episodes, I saw Max figthing between passion and duty and we all know, he's always been a man of his word. Gee! What a tenssion!
Buffy fans have gone CRAZY over new relationships. First, they were pissed when Buffy was with Riley (since it seemed a vocal group of them thought Buffy ONLY belonged with Angel); then they were mad at Kennedy. I just enjoyed the show, even really liked Kennedy & Riley. I only was a little peeved with Buffy hooking up with Spike, because even though I liked him, I thought it was Angel relationship part 2.

This goes back a few years, but the all-time show-killing hook-up was Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepard on "Moonlighting." What a horrible mistake it was to have David and Maddie rolling in the hay (actually it was the floor). I've never seen a show go from great to awful as fast as that one did after their fling,
How about Kate and Oswald on "The Drew Carey Show?" That pushed credibility.
Agent Shaw has a womanly face and appears to wear too much makeup. I want to see him come out of the closet, dump Sarah, and hook up with Casey. Then they can revisit the "can't get involved with another agent" plotline.
Ha ha and ha! :)
Tara/Willow liked but loved Willow/Oz more. hated Willow/Kennedy. loved Max/Tess - Max/Liz was annoying. Wincest is just sick. Dean/Castiel i'm all for. if Dean was a girl they would've hooked up by now.
Reality check, there is reason people think what they do about the guys from Supernatural, and it has nothing to do with wincest. They are not brothers in real life, and they are much closer in real life then any friends or brothers anyone has ever seen. Watch how they are together, then see how they act with their girlfriends. If they acted even half as happy with their girlfriends as each other, people would not think it. I am not a J2 shipper. I do not say they are gay or straight. I do see why people think it. I won't state an opinion because it is their life and their choice and I am not in their bedrooms to prove otherwise. Wish them both well on their weddings, have always took up for Danneel, does not change what they portray. Open your eyes people and seperate fiction characters from who they really are, and do not say it is gross, because they are not brothers, so it makes you sound homophobic. They look cute together, really natural, watch conventions and friend vids, see for youself before you judge.
People are crazy. Especially the supernatural shippers.
And I actually loved Hannah in V.Mars. :(
The extreme members of the female portion of the supernatural fandom is completely insane if they think that they have a right to dictate who the actors date. Wincest is one of the most disgusting thing that I've ever heard of in my life, not because it's homosexual but because it's incest. Incest is a taboo across all cultures.
I'm no fanatical shipper, but it did kind of feel like "Superman takes over Chuck" this season. (Brandon Routh played Superman, Kristen Kreuk played Lana Lang)
"Oh God, some people are seriously insane"

^^this^^
I'm surprised that One Tree Hill's Brooke and Lucas weren't mentioned. THAT fanbase has EXTREME PASSION!
Listen,, please DO NOT cancel the Chuck show. its like my life. yes all the fans including myself were devastated to see the recent episode of Chuck. Its upto the makers to fix it. not end it. put them back together. Chuck and Sarah. they are meant to be. Thank you!
as a huge fan of chuck, I really just want Chuck to get some. As he said in the first season, the US government has been preventing him from getting laid. I want him to get on kristin kruek. I am sure Zachary Levi is happy with either one haha. The thing is, this show relies heavily on the sexual tension of Chuck and Sarah. Will that go away because he gets some with Hannah. Problem is, if Chuck and sarah hook up, i feel like what else do I need? They will still be subtly flirting with eachother, possibly making hannah angry. I am excited.
Oh God, some people are seriously insane.
Even though I hated when Tara died, I didn't think Joss was a homophobe. I really hated when he brought on Kennedy in the end! I hated her so much!!!

I loved Chlark! I am one of the biggest Chlark fans!!!

I like Jensen Ackles and Misha Collins together! :]
The romance that really irritates me at the moment is the one between Mc Steamy and Lexie Grey on Grey's Anatomy. What a mismatch. Callie and Addison were his best match. Lexie is more of a George O'Malley kind of girl.
I don't think anyone wants their favorite character paired up with Kristin Kreuk.. It was the same when she was on Smallville as Lana Lang. Why didn't she just leave instead of messing up Clarks life? Clark should be with Lois and Chuck should be with Sarah and that's it..
How can the producers of Chuck do this to their loyal fans! So Chuck and Sara can't be together because they might compromise their working relationship but she and Shaw can? Makes no sense whatsoever! I am hoping these new couple pairings are just a temporary bump in the road for Chuck and Sara's relationship. I really like Kristin from her days on Smallville but she and Chuck do not fit as a couple. How could Sra have loved Chuck so much she was ready to abandon everything for him and now jump right into something new!! Crazy and unbelievable!
I think Clark should get together with Louis they are so great together. I think from Friends I think Rachel and Ross should have been together. I was so mad when they killed Tara it was so sad then Willow went all dark witch after that. I don't know about Chuck and Hannah I guess we will see. Though Sarah and Chuck do make a nice couple. I am happy for the Supernatural guys are getting married.
Shaw will probably die soon, and Sarah be alone. At which point Chuck might get back together with Sarah ruining his chances with Hannah (which i actually think is an ok pairing, she is sweet). Hannah will then move along and everything is back to status quo...
What about Rachel and Joey? I don't know what were they thinking.
I think Chuck and Hannah will be a short pairing. I know people think Shaw is dodgy but I think there is def something up with Hannah too. We know Lois and Clark are meant to be together but there's something up with the chemistry between those two. The chemistry between Clark and Zatanna was a bit more interesting.

Xena and Gabrielle had the best ship ever! but Tara and Willow were pretty cool too. I loved that season the shock of Tara's death had fans reeling. Good times! Well done to Joss
I am a fan of Kristin Kreuk, But Chuck & Hannah, no way. And Sarah & Shaw, wrong.
I am so f@cking sick of people try to victimize Danneel Harris. blame her stupid twitter sh@t on tinhats! the ones attacking her from the beginning are NOT tinhats but some crazy Jensen fans. F@ck you for pulling this on us.
For those wondering, Jared Padalecki is engaged to Genevieve Cortese, i.e. Brunette Ruby from season 4.
Load More Comments