Fox 2012-2013 Video Preview: Watch Trailers for The Following, The Mindy Project, The Mob Doctor, and More

Fox officially announced its 2012-2013 schedule today, and it's making a big deal out of comedy. The network is aggressively trying to join the live-action comedy-block party, and has ordered three new laughers this season. But the two new dramas in its lineup might actually be the saving grace of Fox's new shows. We have video evidence below.

THE DRAMAS

The Mob Doctor

Fox's pitch: The compelling new drama The Mob Doctor will debut this fall. Executive-produced by Josh Berman (Bones, CSI) and Rob Wright (Crossing Jordan), the engrossing character drama stars Jordana Spiro (My Boys) as a brilliant, life-saving surgeon caught in a complex web between her promising medical career and her family’s debt to Chicago’s Southside mob.

Official Trailer:

Our take: (Based on the terrible name alone:) This looks totally stupid. (Based on actually watching the trailer:) Okay, I thought this would look totally stupid but all of a sudden it's actually looking like it's awesome! Ummm, she pulled a screwdriver out of some guy's head. Plus "she" happens to be Jordana Spiro (and I happen to like her) and the cast is rounded out by Matt Saracen and Ray Fiske. That's Zach Gilford and Zeljko Ivanek to those who've never seen Friday Night Lights or Damages.

The Following

Fox's pitch: Edge-of-your-seat thriller The Following, created by Kevin Williamson (Dawson’s Creek, Scream franchise) and starring Golden Globe Award-winning Kevin Bacon (X-Men, Frost/Nixon) and James Purefoy (Rome), premieres in midseason. The spellbinding and intense drama follows an ex-FBI agent (Bacon) called out of retirement to track down a devious and diabolical serial killer (Purefoy), the mastermind behind a nationwide string of murders.

Official Trailer:

Our take: Whoa, this looks serious. But does it look GOOD? I dunno. There are a ton of cliches in the trailer, and movies like this aren't good unless there's a severed limb or head in a box somewhere. Will Fox show a severed elbow in a box? WILL IT?

THE COMEDIES

The Mindy Project

Fox's pitch: Created by Emmy-nominated writer/producer and New York Times best-selling author Mindy Kaling (The Office) and starring Kaling, Chris Messina (Damages), Anna Camp (The Good Wife) and newcomer Ed Weeks, The Mindy Project features Kaling as a skilled OB/GYN navigating the tricky waters of both her personal and professional life, as she pursues her dreams of becoming the perfect woman, finding the perfect man, and getting her perfect romantic comedy ending.

Official Trailer:

Our take: This looks... less good than I thought it would! Sorry Mindy, but hey, it's only your first own show. I just figured it would be... funnier? This will find its audience, though.

Ben and Kate

Fox's pitch: Ben and Kate, the heartwarming new sibling comedy created by Dana Fox (What Happens In Vegas) and directed by Jake Kasdan (Bad Teacher), debuts this fall. Starring newcomer Dakota Johnson and Nat Faxon (Bad Teacher, Academy Award-winning co-screenwriter of The Descendants), the comedy follows a pair of odd-couple siblings—one, an overly responsible single mom; the other, an exuberant kid-at-heart—and their friends as they push each other out of their comfort zones and into real life.

Official Trailer:

Our take: I was like... hmmm... and then I was like... nahhhh... and then that girl did that thing with the straws in her mouth and I was like NOOOOOOOO!

The Goodwin Games

Fox's pitch: The Goodwin Games, the inventive new comedy from the executive producers of How I Met Your Mother, Carter Bays, Craig Thomas, and Chris Harris, is slated for midseason. Starring Scott Foley (Grey’s Anatomy, Felicity), Becki Newton (Ugly Betty) and Jake Lacy (Better With You), the family comedy tells the story of three estranged siblings who return home after the loss of their beloved father (guest-star Beau Bridges, The Descendants), and unexpectedly find themselves poised to inherit more than $20 million—if, and only if, they can adhere to their late father’s trivial wishes.

Official Trailer:

Our take: I expected good things from Fox's new comedies until I saw the two trailers above. Thankfully The Goodwin Games, which is scheduled for the midseason, might show up and save Fox's big investment.

What looks good to you so far? Let's hear your first impressions in the comments!

RELATED STORIES:

Fox's 2012-2013 Schedule: Glee Move to Thursdays, Touch to Fridays
Fox Orders Five New Series, Including Mindy Kaling's Comedy

The Goodwin Games looks great!!!!! I will also check out The Following and Ben and Kate. I don't know if I will continue to watch The Mindy Project after the pilot, but we will see...
Is it just me or do a lot of new shows seem to look like they should have been movies as the plot could be summed up in 90 mins tops! Why would u keep watching?

Mindy looks like it has promise, Goodwin games could be funny. I'd give Mob Doctor a go if it makes it to air in Aus. Not sure about Ben and Kate. Nice moments, should have been a movie starring bigger names.
The Following looks good, trailer seemed to have an awful lot of content, hope they held something back.
Out of all those, I'd proabbly just watch The Goodwin Games.
The Following and The Mindy Project......the trailer for Ben & Kate was unavailable because it was private (what that was about, I don't know)
The Mob Boss: Royal Pains if Hank was morally ambiguous and everyone was part of the mob. Still, it doesn't look bad.

The Following: I could see this going really really well or really really badly. The trailer really gave off a Law Abiding Citizen vibe. I could see this show being turned into a Hannibal meets Criminal Minds sorta deal.

The Mindy Project: Cancelled. This one will not last.

Ben and Kate: Until the last little bit, this could have been a movie. This probably still be a movie.

The Goodwin Games: HOW IS THIS NOT A MOVIE. Also, how could this last for any amount of time. Is each episode a different card and they all relive/think about that event in their past until it builds up to the present and how they meet their mother... I mean who gets the money...
The Goodwin Games.

The Mob Doctor (stupid title indeed) needs to get cancelled so Zack Gilford can go on to do something else. They should've called it Moboctor...
I'm a fan of Jordana Spiro, and that's the only reason I watched the trailer... But hey, pleasantly surprised. I think I'd give it a try. The following is red john from mentalist if red john were easy to catch, hehehe. It looks to me more like it should be a movie or a miniseries than a series.
The Following because Kevin Williamson is a beast.
I am sick to death of shows about mobs and about doctors! I am a big fan of Kevin Bacon, his show will probably be the only one I'll try out.
Surprisingly, I only liked Ben & Kate out of these, I will probably only watch that one.
The Following, The Goodwin Games
The Goodwin Games looks adorable! Definitely going to watch it.
The Following looks so good!!!
The Mob Doctor - Looks high quality production values surprisingly, and with a good cast, but the writing clearly isn't my cup of tea. There's something ugly about the premise, unless it either tears the main character apart or she fights back, I don't think this will be able to go more than a season without feeling repetitive. Fox doesn't have a great track record supporting dramas without action elements either.

The Following - It'll have a high production value pilot and then get cheap fast (across-the-country stories do that), the premise seems like it could be interesting but more as a miniseries than as a 22-episode-a-season show where it could get repetitive. Nothing seemed terribly compelling but also not terrible. I'll pass though.

The Mindy Project - Oh my goodness, this looks really bad, so shallow and entitled and shrill. "Your life is not a romantic comedy," really? Because it looks exactly like that's what they're trying to do. Such an awful trailer.

Ben & Kate - wow, 5 minutes and none of it worked. Single-camera sitcom with light drama, schmaltzy, wannabe quirky, and every note is wrong. Oh, and zero message of what this show will be after the pilot. What are they thinking?!? Easy pass, will run a whole season and not return.

The Goodwin Games - No, no no no, everything here is miscast. Scott Foley is trying way too hard. Sappy and shallow at the same time. What is this trying to be? It seems to obnoxious to be a gal comedy, too sloppy to be a smart comedy, too phony good intentions to be a comedy. Avoid'd! It's a midseason that will probably get a 2nd year because it looks cheap to produce, but never find its ratings.

EDITOR - Ben & Kate trailer is "private", this is the one from FoxBroadcasting so I am guessing they moved it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWw07Nob9k
SERIOUSLY. there is already too many shows on thursdays. why would they move GLEE?

i dont watch it, but my wife does, so it takes up precious dvr space.
FOX probably saw how well Smash did after The Voice on NBC and decided to do the same thing and put Glee after American Idol. It's probably not going to work, since there are better shows on Thursday nights. They need more shows that appeals to all age groups.
Wasn't FRINGE one of the best shows that came out on Fox?I love X-FILES so I thought I'd give Fringe a shot;and I am glad I had an open mind.Never missed an episode,and I know it's weird w the dozen universes (which I don't enjoy whatsoever) but it still has potential.Thats what I can't wait 2 see...

I like both dramas and The Goodwin Games looks like the kind of goofy sentimental comedy I dig, definitely tuning into that one.

The Mindy Project is just ugh. Sorry I love Mindy Kaling's sense of humor but this is falling way flat for me. Mostly because Mindy seems about as deep and clever and interesting as Kelly on The Office, which is to say she seems to be none of those things.
The Goodwin Games looked like it has a lot of potential, The Mindy Project, not so much.

The Ben&Kate video wouldn't play, so I can't comment on that:/

The two dramas look decent, nothing super new & exciting, but entertaining. And, I'd watch Zeljko Ivanek and James Purefoy in just about anything, so I'll give them both a shot.
To me everything looks like a movie trailer... Are these supposed to be shows? Because they all look like they can be resolved in 2 hr long movie.

Aside from that, the only premiere that I am looking forward to is, "The Goodwin Games". It looks funny and I like the concept of Trivial Pursuit of their lives. (Still, however, like the rest of them, looks like a movie.)
LOVE jordana spiro and am SO happy she's got a new show but MOB DOCTOR...could they have spent like 2 more minutes thinking of a better title...ill watch it either way but come on...
WOW! I'm liking all of these shows. Stupid that the two I'm most looking forward to, do not air until midseason but yeah, can't do anything about it.

The Following keeps looking awesome, very dark, mysterious,... loving it all the way! I'm very surprised by The Mob Doctor trailer, it looks pretty great. Didn't expect that, but now I'm definitely going to give it a try. I also like The Mindy Project and Ben & Kate. They don't look as good as The Goodwin Games, but still very solid comedies. Will surely tune in for those too. Good job Fox, your upfront is looking pretty good!
The Goodwin Games = Simple Song by the Shins's video :D
I kinda love what I see in "Ben & Kate"... I was laughing like a lot while seeing it. It's the real deal for me.

And I think "The Following" (if it's done well) could be like a 24 or a Prison Break. It looks with that potential.

The Mob Doctor looks interesting but nothing great... I'll see 1-2 episodes to see if it's worth.

The Mindy Project looks fine, but also I was expecting more.

The Following looks like my kind of show. I love thrillers, and to think this won't just be a two hour long movie but an ongoing TV show. Count me in. Everything else looks like crap.

So in recap, I'll be following Revolution, The New Normal, and The Following for sure. No pun intended. Still up in the air regarding the new CW shows. Maybe Arrow and Cult. Seems like a better season than I anticipated, but FOX will be in dire straights after none of the shows but the Following gets any viewers (calling it right now). Whatever happened to that one show FOX had in production with Ali Larter as some sort of agent?
"The Mob Doctor" has too good of a cast for me not to watch it and it seems like a really fun show. "The Following" has interested me since I heard about it. I will definitely watch the first episode. "The Goodwin Games" looks the best of the three new comedies. I still don't get why it is being held until midseason.
The Mob Doctor looks kinda cool. The Following needs new titles cos what they have on that trailer is ugly, the actual show looks cliche and cringey in some parts but I'll still check both shows out.

I actually enjoyed The Mindy Project trailer and The Goodwin Games looks the best out of all the shows up there.

I can't watch the Ben and Kate trailer, apparently "This video is private."
I can see myself liking The Following and The Goodwin Games. But that's about it...
The Mindy Project looks awful. Won't be watching that one.
I'll go for "the following". Love FBI after serial killer
I'm totally watching The Goodwin Games, all the others above are just dull.
I'll definitely check out The Mob Doctor after seeing the trailer. The concept sounded kinda sucky, but the trailer looked awesome. That chick kinda reminds me of Stephenie Plum just that this series hopefully doesn't suck as much as the One for the Money movie.

The Following seems interesting, but you can't really tell if it's gonna be good or not yet... I love Kevin Bacon, so I'll give it a shot and then I'll see...

The Mindy Project really doesn't seem as bad as everyone's been saying. I love romcoms, and guys: this DEFINITELY is one. So if the male audience doesn't like it that much... duh. But I think women could definitely enjoy it. Myself included :)

And last, but not least the Goodwin Project seems really fun and really cool. I love the premise and everything, my only concern is how they are gonna drag the storyline for a couple of seasons... but then again, if HIMYM can do it, then so can they :P
The Following does seem to have potential, though there were a few issues with that trailer. I don't think I'll watch it while it airs, but I will keep my eye on it, and see how good people think it is when it's on. I can't really say I'm interested in any of the other shows.
THIS! Exactly!
The Following looks interesting, and I'll give The Goodwin Games a shot only because of Scott Foley (hopefully I'll actually like it!).
What is wrong with The Mindy Project? Personally I like it. Its like a rom com but a tv series. I can see why guys/men will hate it to the ends of the world but seriously, it doesn't look bad as many people here make it seem to be. Its also great to have main character who isn't your typical perfect pretty white blonde woman. Although I don't like New Girl anymore, it will go perfect with it. I do hope it succeeds.

Goodwin Games looks great and Barney's girlfriend is in it. (I think its her.) I will definitely check it out.
Watashii, I totally agree with you. I'll definitely give The Mindy Project a shot cause I love romcoms, and anyways - you can't really judge how funny a show is by its trailer. It's way more than that.

And yes, it totally is Barney's girlfriend Quinn! Yay! :D
What's wrong with it? Well, it's a comedy and it's not funny at all.
Aside from Bones and Fringe FOX doesn't really have anything this season that interests me.
Oh Goodwin games is funny show) Just my kind of humor I guess) Like Parks and rec That brunette chick assistant is hilarious) and father is awesome. Looks good. But other comedies just neh... Mindy project is borderline boring and pretentious I was smiling but I'm tired of holding little smile all the trailer) And what's up with the name? Too much ego?

FOX Dramas look more promising. I hope Kevin Bacon Natalie Zea serial killer gig won't be a cliche show like it was shown in trailer. And Mob doctor kinda fun.
Omg I got bored in the trailer of the Mindy project
Wow, The Mindy Project might just be the worst comedy I've ever seen based of the trailer. Didn't even crack a smile. Compared to that Whitney should get an Emmy.

No Science fiction off-course, bummer.
The Following was the only show I was planning to watch from this bunch. Despite the cliches and the overall feeling that it may be more suited as a movie, the trailer for it was just cool enough to keep my interest.

The Mob Doctor didn't sound that good at first, but this trailer certainly helped it. The trailer may have been good enough for me to give it a chance.

None of the comedies seem particularly funny or interesting for me.
The Dramas

- Mob Doctor looks good but could of gave a show a much catchier name.

- Definitely looking forward to the Following. Hopefully FOX doesn't screw it up. And the only time FOX shows a severed head Tim is on Bones.

The Comedies

- I think The Mindy Project can be good. It seems her character in the show will be her own worst enemy though.

- I think Ben and Kate could go the way of Raising Hope if its done properly.

- I think the Goodwin Games should've start the fall season. I think its the safer bet.

Predictions

I think The Following and Mob Doctor (please FOX change the name of that show) shpw potential of being renewed for another year. The comedies on the other if I were to say either The Mindy Project or Ben Kate might not be back for a another year though they will run their full episodes and not get cancelled mid way.
the following, seen trailer looks impressive
Mob Doctor looks great, shite name but I can live with it.

The Following does look like an advert for a Kevin Bacon film, very cliched, but I'll be giving it the four episode test at the very least.

I feel sorry for Jessie J for having her song associated with The Mindy Project. Didn't laugh once through that, it just seemed tragic rather than funny.

Well, The Goodwin Games looks good. I had high hopes for this when I first heard about it months ago, thankfully they got a geat cast and it seems to be really well written, but I am a little concerned about the longevity of the premise.

The video for Ben & Kate doesn't work it just says "This video is private", but I don't think I really care. I'll probably check out the pilot, as I do with just about all shows, but I can't see this one making it onto my schedule.

So I'm going to predict that The Goodwin Games and Mob Doc are going to be regular viewing for me and The Following is a 50/50 shot. Ben & Kate and The Mindy Project won't hold my attention, which means they are probably the two most likely to be renewed.
I wouldn't worry too much about the longevity of the premise of The Goodwin Games. If How I Met Your Mother has taught me anything, it is that Bays/Thomas really know how to stretch a premise for a long time. Although, I guess you can argue about its overall quality having dropped after all this time.
The Following is the ONLY one that sounds like something I could get into. It has Kevin Bacon which is a PLUS in my book but it really depends on the writing. We shall see. Diane
I think I'll give The Following a chance. And The Goodwin Games too.
lol. Natalie Zea has more jobs than Uncle Ruckus.
Mob Doctor looks interesting - I'll give that a go I think. If The Following it is a whole series about chasing one man, they'll never actually catch him or the series ends so I'll pass. If it's a new criminal each week or two I might watch. None of the comedies appeal.
DRAMAS- The Mob Doctor Jordana Spiro!!!...The Following does look kinda interesting even if im not a fan of bacon..

COMEDIES- maybe The Goodwin Games
Who doesn't love bacon?! Or any pork meats?
"the following" inspite of the cliche's has 2 of my favorite actors that hollywood seems to largely ignore. bacon who is cool,sexy and an awesome actor with purefoy sporting the same traits,attributes and my be a finer actor(but im not keeping score here) im sure will be incrediable to watch play off each other. i can't wait for that alone...but there are actor after actor that raise the level of what we normally see on network tv on this show,including the estranged wife of olyphant from" justified"...so...i really hope the scrips can support this great cast. he idea made me roll my eyes but i have to say i was really feeling good about it after seeing the trailor! the"mob dr"(what did they do have a contest for worst name and owe some debt to have to go with it? it too has a woderful cast and the trailor rocks. everything has been done to death ,it is hard to find new concepts,so i'll give the ideas a break and see if these 2 dramas are as good as they look. comedys are another thing...talk about cliche'...i don't have time.
Load More Comments