Fox 2014-2015 Video Preview: Watch Trailers for Gracepoint, Gotham, Empire, Mulaney, and More

To go with its new 2014-2015 schedule, Fox has released trailers for several of its new series, including Batman prequel Gotham, the Terrence Howard-starring hip-hop drama EmpireBroadchurch adaptation Gracepoint, and more. Have a look, then let's hear your first impressions in the comments!

Gotham

Centered on DC Comics characters, Gotham is a Batman prequel that explores the origin stories of the Caped Crusader's eventual ally James Gordon (Benjamin McKenzie), a detective with the Gotham City Police Department, and his battle with the villains who made the city famous. Jada Pinkett Smith, Donal Logue, Sean Pertwee, Robin Lord Taylor, David Mazouz, Erin Richards, Drew Powell, Zabryna Guevara, Camren Bicondova, and Cory Michael Smith will also star. Airing Mondays at 8pm.

Gracepoint

A remake of the U.K. series BroadchurchGracepoint is a 10-episode limited event series about the murder of a young boy in a sleepy seaside town. Breaking Bad's Anna Gunn stars as one of two detectives on the case; the other is portrayed by Doctor Who's David Tennant, who reprises the role he originated in the original British series. Dan Futterman and Anya Epstein will executive-produce alongside Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall. Airing Thursdays at 9pm.

Mulaney

Mulaney is a semi-autobiographical comedy that's based on the life of comedian and former Saturday Night Live scribe John Mulaney, who will also write, star, and executive-produce (SNL's Lorne Michaels is also an EP). The show follows an aspiring comedian who's coming of age under the influence of his boss (Martin Short), his roommates, and his neighbors. Airing Sundays at 9:30pm.

Empire

Empire is a family drama set amidst a hip-hop empire, which stars Terrence Howard as a charismatic music superstar who's about to take his company public. The Butler's Lee Daniels and Game Change's Danny Strong will write and executive-produce with Brian Grazer (24) and Francie Calfo (How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)). Also starring Taraji P. Henson, Gabourey Sidibe, Jussie Smollett, Bryshere Y. Gray, Malik Yoba, Kaitlin Doubleday, Trai Byers, Tasha Smith, Macy Gray, and Grace Gealey, the drama will debut as part of Fox's midseason lineup.

Utopia

Unscripted series Utopia is a social experiment that moves 15 everyday Americans to an isolated, undeveloped location for an entire year while they attempt to create their own civilization. Airing Tuesdays at 8pm and, for the series' first six weeks, Fridays at 8pm.

Hieroglyph

The world of ancient Egypt—a time of "magic, Pharaohs, gods, and thieves"—comes alive in drama Hieroglyph, which follows a notorious thief who is plucked from prison to serve the Pharaoh, forcing him to navigate palace intrigue, seductive concubines, criminal underbellies, and divine sorcerers as he races to stop the downfall of one of history's greatest civilizations. Pacific Rim's Travis Beacham will write and executive-produce alongside Peter Chernin and Katherine Pope (New Girl), and Miguel Sapochnik (Fringe). Debuts midseason.

Backstrom

Backstrom is based on the Swedish book series about an overweight, irascible detective (Rainn Wilson, in his first regular series role since The Office) as he tries and fails to change his self-destructive behavior. Executive-produced by Bones creator Hart Hanson, Niclas Salomonsson, Mark Mylod (Shameless), and author Leif G.W. Persson, the series will debut midseason.

Wayward Pines

M. Night Shyamalan's event series Wayward Pines, based on the best-selling novel of the same name, is a 10-episode limited-event thiller that centers on Ethan Burke (Matt Dillon), a Secret Service agent who arrives in Wayward Pines, Idaho to investigate the disappearance of two missing federal agents. Instead of answers, Ethan's findings lead to more questions; as he gets closer to the truth, he begins to wonder if he'll make it out of Wayward Pines alive. Slated for midseason.

Last Man on Earth

Created by and starring Will Forte (NebraskaSaturday Night Live) and directed by Chris Miller and Phil Lord (The Lego Movie, 21 Jump Street), Last Man on Earth is a single-camera comedy about the life and adventures of the last man on earth. Phil Miller (Forte) was once just an average guy who loved his family and hated his job at the bank—now he’s humanity’s last hope. Will he ever find another person alive on the planet? Would hoping that she is a female be asking too much? Slated for midseason.

Red Band Society

Red Band Society is a soapy coming-of-age dramedy about a group of teenagers who meet as patients in the children's wing of a hospital and become unlikely friends and allies. Steven Spielberg will executive-produce with Margaret Nagle (Boardwalk Empire) and Under the Dome's Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank.

Okay, let's hear your first impressions! Anything here look good to you? (Also: Were those vampire fangs in the Hieroglyph trailer or... ?)

Upfronts 2014 HQ:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Video Previews, and More

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

May 17, 2014
I have a question about Gracepoint. Will they at least change some of it, or did they just take the British script and change the title? Because everything I saw in that trailer is identical to the British show, except for the fact that David Tennant dropped his Scottish accent.
May 16, 2014
The Last Man on Earth and Wayward Pines look so weird and unusuall especially for FOX

May 15, 2014
Graceland + Flashpoint = Gracepoint
May 14, 2014
Really interested in Last Man on Earth, I'm curious how they'll play it out. I mean entire episodes of him just wandering around by himself I'd have to wonder how they'd keep anyone interested for an entire season or even an episode.
May 14, 2014
also Wayward Pines reminded me of Twin Peaks, don't know if that's on purpose or not, but it doesn't look as good.
May 13, 2014
Last Man on Earth feels like a really good film, not sure how it plays out as a show though... (but Will Forte is awesome!)
May 13, 2014

I actually am very interested in seeing how Gotham turns out. I'm a fan of seeing comic book worlds come to life, so I'll definitely give it a shot.

Empire - I can see why some people are criticizing the fact that African Americans on television are only being portrayed around entertainment. Nonetheless, I wouldn't let that discredit the show completely. I found it quite compelling, actually.

Utopia - I'm a big fan of watching Big Brother over the summer, so this looks awesome to me.

Maybe

Hieroglyph - Looked better than I thought it would be based on the description. I think it could really go either way.

Mulaney - Nothing that grabbed me.

Last Man On Earth - Huh?

Wayward Pines - It got so weird I started laughing.

Backstrom - I have a feeling it could catch on, but I don't really find it interesting.
May 13, 2014
Still hate that Gotham video. It feels middling as a generic gritty procedural, but clunky adding the kid element in, and then it really falls to shit with the Batman aspects all ruined up.

Oh god, Gracepoint looks like a cheap Americanization of Broadchurch's ads in the worst possible way. And Tennant's accent, still bad, worse than his distracting hair. At least we get some patented Tennant yelling.

Mulaney, oh dear, that looks really bad, really cliche, like a decade out of touch. The "gunshot" joke was the single thing that was really solid and clever.

Hieroglyph, looked promising in a Fox way but then there were vampire teeth.

Backstrom, it feels a little like it wants so hard to be House, but it still made me smile.

Last Man on Earth, um, I couldn't even sit through that 4 minute trailer.
May 13, 2014
It would be helpful if you guys give us the actual premiere dates once you have them instead of just on which day it will be shown. Thanks!

Will definitely watch Gotham and Utopia. The kid from Touch is playing Bruce Wayne !

Last man on earth sound very interesting even more so that it is a comedy!

M. Night Shyamalan movies are usually frustrating to watch so no high hopes for his TV series.

Not sure if I want to watch Broadstreet again with a different cast since I had seen the UK version. I am not sure if they are following the exact same story. It seems the creator have promised a different killer. It would be rather pointless to watch a "whodunit" when you already know the killer.
May 13, 2014
Hieroglyph and Wayward Pines!
may be Backstrom
May 13, 2014
Hieroglyph y Wayward Pines!!!
May 13, 2014
It's Fox let's face it most of the shows won't make it.
I'll check out Gotham, Hieroglyph (diffrent network HBO or something uncut would be better), Wayward Pines, Grace Point (David Tenneant non comedy must see) maybe Backstrom.
May 13, 2014
I don't like this stupid news about both Glee and The Mindy Project for next season.

Glee is cutting down from 24 episodes to 13?

The Mindy Project is cutting down from 22 episodes to 15?

I know FOX had a network collapse effect, but this cutting down may have gone too far on both of these shows.

May 13, 2014
Backstrom looks almost exactly like Rake. I see that as an early dead pool pick for me.

Gracepoint is worth a look, even though I don't get why you'd do a complete remake (except Fox or whomever owns THIS version).

Gotham I'll give a look to, even though I don't expect much. The world of Gotham WAS pretty awful before Batman came along, I just don't like shoehorning too many pre-Batman people into it. Penguin makes sense, as would Black Mask, Carmine Falcone, even pre-accident Joker.

Mulaney doesn't look terrible, but not all good stand up comedians can do sitcoms. Remains to be seen. Last Man on Earth may be kooky fun, but also TBD for me.

Everything else? Pass. (Hieroglyph is also a good dead pool contender)
May 13, 2014
Thumbs Up: Gotham, Gracepoint, Empire, Hieroglyph (this was firmly in the 'Meh' column until 0:50 into the trailer), Backstrom (I really like the look of the cast), Wayward Pines (this seems very familiar).

Meh: The Last Man on Earth.

Thumbs Down: Mulaney (although the gunshot joke did make me smile a little).

I suppose it's a good sign for Fox that most of the new shows look pretty interesting.
May 13, 2014
Update: After watching the "first Look" clips from ABC's new series I realised I needed a new tier to my rating system to accommodate both Cristela and Selfie, so I'm now officially moving Mulaney down to...
"Lower than thumbs down, AKA 'Whitney'".
May 13, 2014
Gotham and Hieroglyph. Also, yes, those did look like vampire fangs: awesome.
May 13, 2014
gotham is going to be one of the biggest hits of the season with brillant acting and great storyline as long as fox does not intefere

gracepoint is also going to be huge with the changes made with the people who created the original version involved it will work. tho i do hate david tennant doing a american accent should have had him be a detective on load from the uk would have made more sense

Mullaney and last man make me wonder we canceled enlisted and surviving jack for this pieces of crap: on mullaney why put such great talent as martin short and elliot gould on this crap

empire does nothing for me not a fan of the music

utopia wont last the season

heiro looks good but i am a huge john rhys davies fan will give this one a look or two might be good

backstrom does remind me of rake and house not sure if i will check it out

wayward pines looks interestin but with m night running it he does not have a good track record with him films so why hold our breathes thinking tv show would be good for him

May 13, 2014
Gracepoint looks like a scene for scene remake of Broadchurch. I wonder what it feels like for Tennant to repeat the same lines as in the first production. Maybe it's routine for him by now.

Related to this, does anyone know why American remakes, while faithfully recreating the original, still look different? I'm not talking about actors and locations, they are of course different. What I mean is that when you watch American TV remakes, it feels like the colour scheme, the sharpness of the image, and the overall visual appearance just look different. Why is that? Or am I just imagining it?

The trailer for Gracepoint looks more colourful, or the people seem more active, or the lighting is different than in Broadchurch. I can't put my finger on what it is. And this doesn't just apply to remakes but most American shows. Are there some specific things that American TV productions prefer to do differently that makes their shows look dissimilar to foreign ones? I sometimes think the editing is quicker in American shows, which would make them choppier, but I can't measure that reliably. After watching the trailer again, it feels like there are more close-ups of people than in Broadchurch. But again, maybe I'm just imagining it.
May 13, 2014
No you're right, the visuals of American shows tend to be more saturated. I've noticed the same thing with Elementary/Sherlock, Being Human, House of Cards, The Tomorrow People, Skins e.t.c. I don't know if it's the style of cinematography or maybe even the miserable weather, but to me, the UK versions of shows look a lot grayer and more moody. They are also usually better.
May 13, 2014
I don't get Gracepoint. I mean, if they reworked Broadchurch more, with a somewhat different interpretation, I'd get it. But it looks exactly like Broadchurch with different accents and mostly different actors. The scenes are totally the same. I'm going to watch it, partly because I watch David in everything, but they really should have at least made an effort to make it different. Why not just broadcast Broadchurch? English accents are so difficult for Americans to understand or something?
May 13, 2014
I think it will be a different killer. At least that is what the creator promised
May 13, 2014
This comment has been removed.
Gotham looks nice.

Gracepoint... How to even begin? I thought maybe I'd try it but it looks exactly like Broadchurch (the trailer is like a giant deja vu) but worse. I think it will feel very wrong to see the characters I already know played by someone else. And seriously what's wrong with a Scottish accent? They could have kept that. I like Tennant but just no
May 13, 2014
Really liked the sound of Backstrom until I watched the trailer and saw it's basically Rake, which failed to find an audience despite having an extremely talented lead, so don't see why this would be any different, will stick it in a folder until it's renewed/cancelled before deciding to watch or not. Was hoping it'd be a dark/bleak drama akin to BBC's Wallander (we Swede's love this kind of thing!)

Gotham is my first look at any footage and I was impressed, definitely watch list material.

Hieroglyph is an interesting premise which could work if the writing staff is proficient enough to give it the legs to progress.

Empire, well I detest hip hop/rap etc etc so an easy skip!

TLMOE is an interesting premise but he annoyed me in a short trailer so doubt I'd like the guy in even one full episode!

Wayward Pines started quite intriguing (elements of Twin Peaks etc) but the latter part just makes me think it's going to cop out with a Life on Mars in a coma type ending so not sure on that one. The "secret agent" line did crack me up though so perhaps worth a chance!

I detest reality TV so Utopia is a pass.

Mulaney I was expecting to dislike, and I think some of the ensemble will prove to be far more annoying than funny, but the trailer was pretty decent and I also got that crap from my parents about the effort grade being lower than the attainment grade so I can empathise!

May 13, 2014
Why doesn't Fox just air "Broadchurch" instead of making a bad recreation? This seems like "Death at a Funeral" all over again. As for "Backstreet," I can't help but feel like it's another "Rake" waiting to happen.
May 13, 2014
And here I was actually looking forward to Wayward Pine before I saw the trailer...

May 13, 2014
I'll open by saying I have no problem whatsoever with US TV doing US remakes of existing shows, for example I watched and enjoyed the recent US Rake after watching and loving the Aussie Rake, that said, Gracepoint seems absolutely terrible, Broadchurch was great and we know Tennant can act, Breaking Bad was great and we know Anna Gunn can act, so why is the acting in that trailer so absolutely appalling? Was going to watch it but I'll be skipping that one thanks!
May 13, 2014
I so very much want to hate Empire (and I know I should when FOX thinks 'Featuring the music of Timbaland is a good selling point), but the trailer was oddly compelling. It has all the necessary elements to be soapy family drama and a guilty pleasure, at the very least.
May 13, 2014
first andy samburg, now will forte and rainn wilson?! I'm starting to feel like fox just waits for NBC shows to end or the actors to leave SNL, scoops them up, and gives them their own shows. (not that I'm complaining. I love Brooklyn Nine-Nine).
May 13, 2014
The Gracepoint trailer was surprisingly powerful. I wasn't planning to watch it but television's recent trend of limited event crime series in Fargo and True Detective is proof that the formula works, at least until the industry overuses it.

Can anyone tell me if Broadchurch is any good? I'm wondering what would compel David Tennant to play the exact same character in the exact same series (other than the desire to become more well-known in the US).
May 13, 2014
Yes it's good. I think the reason you listed i probably his main reason for re-playing his character. I'd say watch the original and maybe give the american one a chance for the actors if you like them
May 13, 2014
I must say... I only see Gotham going to Season 2...
May 13, 2014
Isn't "Mulaney" trying too hard to be the new "Seinfeld" ...?
May 13, 2014
I don't know what to make of these new Fox series. I really don't. However, I must say that these ones look less terrible than the new slate of NBC dramas 'State of Affairs', 'Bad Judge' and the Debra Messing one, whatever it's called.

-First of all, Fox is holding off too many of the more interesting sounding series till mid season.
-David Tennant swapping that beautiful Scottish accent for an American one; just no. Also, I outright don't believe them when they say they're changing the Broadchurch killer for Gracepoint. I think they're just trying to get those of us who said it was unnecessary to remake it to tune in. Even if thy do change the killer, I don't really see who it could be that would be more of a shock.
-Empire so far doesn't look great. The main thing I was thinking about after watching the trailer was what the hair budget of the show must be like. It looks a bit too soap-y, and not in a good way. Hopefully it's just pilot-itis, because I had been excited about the premise, the cast and the music.
-Mulaney doesn't look very good. It's getting increasingly difficult for me to be interested in a comedy with a laugh track.
-The reality show 'social experiment' Utopia is not worth discussing.
- That Wayward Pines trailer is giving me lots of early Fringe Season 1 vibes- cool premise but not yet very exciting to watch. I'm not buying these 'limited event series' claims. If the ratings are high enough, they'll make more. I'm also very curious about/wary of M. Night Shyamalan helming a TV show.
-I've been looking forward to Gotham since I heard about it. It's looking good.
-Backstrom looks like a strange mash up of Brooklyn Nine Nine and The Blacklist. I think I'm intrigued (mainly because of Rainn Wilson).
-I really like Will Forte but I'm completely lost on how exactly they plan on making that Last Man on Earth stuff a series.
-The lead of Hieroglyph just had to be a white guy, didn't it? I hate to be that person making it racial, but I kind of rolled my eyes when I saw that. Would it really have hurt to have the hero of the story SET IN ANCIENT EGYPT be a person of colour?

May 13, 2014
I know what u mean abt Hieroglyph i felt the same. disappointing really, I am going to pass on that one and were that vampires again!! sigh

Gotham looks good I'll be checking it out. I might give empire a chance I like the cast and the premise looks interesting
May 13, 2014
Hieroglyph - looks worth a watch.

Wayward Pines -
sounds too much like Twin Peaks for my comfort.

The rest I'm not bothered about.
May 13, 2014
- Empire looks like my type of show. Terrence Howard is great.
- Wayward Pines looks intruiting. The cast is good.
- Gotham is.. Gotham! Not really interested by this one.
I don't care about the others..
May 13, 2014
The ending of Wayward Pines is so ridiculous, that I'm going to have to pass. Casting Tennant in Gracepoint is lazy. Either remake the show or just air the original. - Pass
Gotham - Batman and Gotham are too dear to me to watch this. I know I'm just going to be annoyed with their choices and changes, so i'm probably going to have to pass on it to keep my sanity. I do like the casting of McKenzie for Gordon though. #needsmoremustache
Empire - How does this douche Terence Howard keep getting work? No thanks. Taraji left POI for this?

Pass on the rest too. Last man has an interesting premise, but what an uninspiring 4 minute trailer.

Sorry Fox. Better luck next year.
May 13, 2014
I've been against Gracepoint from the start, I'm so sick of American tv taking British shows. Only watching because i love David and i know's there's going to be a season 2 of Broadchurch.
May 13, 2014
’Wayward Pines’, ’Last Man on Earth’ and ’Mulaney’ look absolutely terrible. ’Backstrom’ seems boring too.

’Hieroglyph’ interests me the most. ’Gotham’ and ’Empire’ are also going on my list of shows to check out.

Watching the ’Gracepoint’ trailer I feel like I’ve already seen it. I’m not sure whether I’ll watch it ”again” or not.
May 13, 2014
I think I'll be giving many of these the 4 episode test. I'll skip Gracepoint, because I've seen the excellent Broadchurch and don't need a repeat and Empire and Mulaney don't look like something I'd enjoy, but the others are promising enough to at least check them out - and much more promising than NBCs lot.
May 13, 2014
Gotham=Yes but I'm prepared for the crash and burn
Hieroglyph=Trailer is ambitious... but again probably not going to make it
Wayward Pines-looks BAD ASS but probably a better limited event than a series.
Gracepoint= would be interesting if I hadn't seen the same theme and storyline in The Killing 3 years ago!!
Empire=Need more African American themed shows( at least one!!) but I don't know if this is it?!

I will NOT be tuning into the Last Man on Earth. This should be renamed"The First Cancellation on FOX!!" Is it too early to start next years Dead Pool?
May 13, 2014
Gracepoint is a remake of the hit UK series, "Broadchurch", starring the same actor, Dr Who's David Tennant as the lead detective, Americanised; and, from what I see, it appears to be a shot-by-shot remake!
May 13, 2014
So is John Mulaney actually a comedian? Because those little bits of him doing stand up were awful. I'm not even sure if it's just his delivery being out of sync because he doesn't have an audience and has to pause for the laugh track or if he just isn't funny.
May 13, 2014
If I were the last man on earth, I don't think I would wear pants either.
These look really good as a group. I like the look of Wayward Pines, and as long as Shamalamadingdong does not direct it should be fine.
May 13, 2014
Hieroglyph -my kind of show, hot lead and magic I love me some magic.
Gotham -looks interesting
Gracepoint - definatly tuning in to this one.

+YES+

Gotham
interested me. I'm not a comic book enthusiast, so I won't be comparing it to those. I think Jada Pinkett-Smith is maybe miscast.

Backstrom - Looked funny and engaging.

+MAYBE+

Empire -- Don't like Terrance Howard and am pretty sure I'm not going to like the racial stereotypes (and even homophobia) that get pulled out, not liking the focus on an up from the ghetto, get rich or die trying story but may give it a watch because of Taraji P. Henson (even if again, her role looks really stereotypical). Curiosity killed the cat.

Really bluntly, in 2014, I'd rather see an African-American family duking it out for control of their construction or manufacturing company or law firm. Is black success still only about entertainment or sports?

Utopia -- Can't see being a regular viewer, but I think I'll check it out.

+NO+

Gracepoint -- I think no because I already saw Broadchurch. Also I find David Tennant reprising the role (and as the only known actor) really distracting and irritating. Even if I were able to look past already knowing the mystery that really grates.

Plus, the casting was also unpleasantly distracting. I guess it made me realize how used I am to seeing known actors and also people with a certain polish on-screen. The look is so community theatre here that I'm not sure I will be able to care about the characters. Again, I saw Broadchurch, so I maybe see where they were going with their casting, but think they missed the mark.

Wayward Pines -- Too much recycled from The Prisoner, Persons Unknown, Twin Peaks and Under the Dome. If I have nothing else to watch...

Hieroglyphs - WTF? What a hot mess. Small annoyance: Relaxed hair/weave on the lady who hires him? If ever there was a time to see natural hair on a black woman (aside from shaved heads and tressed wigs) , you'd think it would be in ancient Egypt.

Last Man on Earth -- Uggh. I think the Norwegian show that was just 70 hours of a burning log in a fireplace would be be more gripping.

Mulaney -- Nope.
May 13, 2014
must correct ummm nick nolte and anna gunn are known actors in grace point and since some of the creative staff who did the original is involved in the remake with changews its going to be good.
May 13, 2014
I totally agree on pretty much everything.
Especially your worries about the stereotyping on Empire. I had hoped it would actually subvert those usual tropes.
May 13, 2014
David Tennant's American accent was pretty hilarious. Nevertheless, I love him so much I'll probably give this a shot. Wayward Pines looks waaaaayyy too derivative, but I guess the author was "inspired" to write this by Twin Peaks, so maybe we give it a pass long enough to see if it can hold its own.

Basically everything else looks pretty bad, and yes that includes Gotham. That show is just messing way too much with the comic book stories that inspired it, and not in a way that strengthens them in any discernible fashion.

Also, kudos to Terrence Howard for landing himself starring roles in not one, but two FOX television shows. Way to go.
eh maybe Gotham...
May 13, 2014
Hieroglyph kind of looks like a poor-man's Da Vinci's Demons... I may watch it, and Wayward Pines... and maybe Red Band Society if it looks any good.

man Gracepoint looks crap. Tennant doing an American accent is just wrooooong. I hope nobody watches it so American TV will realize if you're going to do an American version, DO AN ORIGINAL STORYLINE!
May 13, 2014
Agreed about Hieroglyph. Book of Thresholds = Book of Leaves.
May 13, 2014
Do we have any start dates? Gotham & Heiroglyph & wayward Pines I will check out. It'd be interesting to see an egyptian based series. That countrys' history is fascinating. Hope it won't be too cartoonish though
May 13, 2014
Hieroglyph looks good , just wish this was done by HBO first. Gotham might be the only other one worth watching.
May 13, 2014
Any word on if Weird Loners trailer expected today?
Staff
May 13, 2014
Fox didn't specifically say, but we'll update if the network posts one!
Ok, thank you!