Fox Boss Kevin Reilly Is Resigning from "the Worst Best Job in the World"

Fox Chairman of Entertainment Kevin Reilly announced Thursday that he will step down from his position at the end of June.

"[Fox Networks Group CEO] Peter [Rice] and I have been discussing this transition for a while, and now with a robust new slate of programming for next season and strength in the [Fox Broadcasting Company] ranks, it felt like the timing was as right as it could be," Reilly said in a statement released by the network.

Reilly joined Fox in 2007 and was promoted to Chairman of Entertainment in 2012. He helped launch such shows as Glee, New Girl, and Fox's latest hit, Sleepy Hollow. He previously worked for NBC and FX, and will be inducted into the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame in October.

During a conference call ahead of Fox's Upfront presentation earlier this month, Reilly acknowledged that the 2013-2014 TV season was "a tough one" for the network, which ended the season in fourth place in overall viewers (an average of 7.5 million per night) and second in adults 18-49. Reilly also made headlines at the start of this year by eschewing the traditional pilot season in favor of year-round programming.

Here's some what he said in his resignation letter, which you can read in full at The Wrap:

[We all know the daily feeding of the network beast and early morning ritual of waking to an overnight report card does breed a certain type of mania. My first boss, Brandon Tartikoff, described presiding over a broadcast network as “the worst best job in the world.” I remember coming up in the business and seeing how the grind turned some executives into grizzled cynics. And I vowed to never become that guy. ... Staying fresh and looking forward is part of why I feel the timing is right for me to turn the page now.

As you, my colleagues, know all too well, I am rarely satisfied. But I hope you all also know that I am very proud of what we have accomplished together and of the exceptional entertainment we have helped bring to fruition. ... And I think some of the best is yet to come next season. It's been a satisfying blast.

Fox has not yet named a replacement for Reilly.

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

May 30, 2014
IGN reports he was very VERY pissed Enlisted and Almost Human were not renewed - he gave them both a second season but was over ruled by the FOX overlords. Hence the reason for leaving.

Did Almost Human and Enlisted Renewal Battles Contribute to FOX Chairman Leaving?
May 30, 2014
Is this the moron responsible for Almost Human? Don't let the door hit you....
May 29, 2014
This guy allowed Fringe to go on till its conclusion in Season 5….but he’s the guy who cancelled Almost Human
He granted the wonderful Mindy project an early renewal for season 3…..But only gave it 15 episodes when it’s now outrating full-season-awarded Glee and New Girl
He’s responsible for the crazy but fabulous Sleepy Hollow being on the air……But he’s responsible for 2 episodes of reality show ‘Utopia’ per week next season
Ordered some of the more exciting looking pilots to series……But is saving almost all the best looking ones for mid season
Diversified the FOX slate- Mindy Project, Empire, Sleepy Hollow, Red Band Society…..but then has the lead of Hieroglyph- which is set in ancient Egypt- be a white guy, leading a very whitewashed cast. The show looks like fun, and I will check it out because it’s not right to judge when I haven’t seen much of the actual show, but really, the whitewashing already seems unnecessary
Under him, B99 got the post super bowl slot and lots of FOX support…..but also, the talent-filled, immediately hilarious Surviving Jack was cancelled after 7 episodes and Enlisted was never really given a chance
It’s not fair to immediately rag on him for all he’s done that we don’t like this season, because he clearly supported some smaller but treasured shows other networks (e.g CBS) wouldn’t, but man, some of FOX’s decisions last season just don’t make sense. I don’t know if I should be overjoyed he’s out or terrified as hell of whoever he’ll be replaced with.
May 29, 2014
"Since business is REALLY picking up, I figured now would be the best time to step down..." that logic is about as sound as "Hey, that show Firefly that everyone likes? Let's cancel it and never bring it back no matter how popular the following." I wonder if this dude was also responsible for it.

I mean, kudos for him to bring the shows he did and all, but he heads up Fox (and not surprisingly before that, NBC), he's probably killed three times as many good shows as he's brought forth...
May 30, 2014
To be fair, Firefly's popularity/fan following didnt really exist in its current form back in 2002 when it was actually airing.
May 29, 2014
No, it was some woman. I remember reading an article about her. I think it was on Reddit.
May 29, 2014
Oh God... Gail F*cking Berman. The long list of good shows cancelled by that dumbass is so long, I'm not even going to try to name them all.
May 30, 2014
Besides, Family Guy went ahead and did it for you! http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/North_by_North_Quahog/Quotes
May 31, 2014
I remember that. It's outdated now since more got axed. Haha.
May 29, 2014
Hopefully they can replace him with someone who doesnt cancel awesome shows
May 30, 2014
Impossible. A show brings in the ratings, it gets renewed. If it's at the bottom of the pack, it's canceled. It's a business. No one's going to keep putting awesome shows that nobody watches on the air or the network will go bankrupt.
May 30, 2014
Not so much impossible as a failing business model shared by the broadcast networks. FX's weird 10/90 deals are one alternative, not that I'm endorsing it, but it is one that is in use. There's pretty much an unlimited number of different ways of doing things they could come up with. And since they are still largely operating like they did when they were the only 4 games in town, it is time they took a look at how they decide on programming and then perhaps start from scratch or they will continue their slow steady decline in the face of cable (and other stuff).