Fox Cancels Lie to Me, Human Target, and Three Others

Last year around this time, the champagne was popping in Hollywood as Fox took mercy on many of its underperforming bubble shows. Series like Human Target, Lie to Me, and Fringe were all granted new seasons in a rare moment of kindness for a network that's become known for its harsh decisions.

That was then, this is now.

Things are back to normal this year, as Fox brought down the Hammer of Cancellation on the skulls of five series today, including two that were mercifully spared last season: Human Target and Lie to Me. The three other shows sent packing are all new series: the male-oriented rom-com Traffic Light, Shawn Ryan's cop drama The Chicago Code, and Christian Slater starring vehicle Breaking In.

Human Target has struggled through both of its two seasons, despite boasting kick-ass fight scenes and the incredibly huggable Chi McBride. And even though Lie to Me had a loyal fan base, its audience wasn't growing and Fox had troubles scheduling it. But you can't say Fox didn't give either show a chance, as the network could have easily axed them both last year.

As for the new shows, cutting Breaking In was probably the most difficult decision to make. Fox has been searching for a successful live-action comedy, a genre that has eluded the network for some time (until Raising Hope this season). Both Traffic Light and The Chicago Code received generally positive reviews from critics, but their tepid ratings made the cancellations a pretty easy decision. With Lie to Me and The Chicago Code code gone, that's two executive producer credits for Shawn Ryan gone in a snap. Breaking In's cancellation is more of the same for its two stars, Christian Slater and Bret Harrison, who can't seem to find a show that sticks.

Meanwhile, Fringe fans should be thanking their lucky stars.

Which of these five shows, if any, do you think deserved another chance?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Lie To Me needs to be brought back. It's an amazing show. It's nothing like other shows that do the same thing. Fix should definitely bring Lie To Me back.
BRING BACK LIE TO ME!!!!

These fox people will never cease to amaze how they cancel such good programming and then wonder why their ratings fall!!

Bring lie to me back - the best and most original idea fox has ever had and if fox won't please a station out there with sense you do it !!!
we neeed llie to me!!!
Lie To Me. They shouldn't gave up on the best show ever.
Bring back Lie To Me. It's not too late.

Don't doddle,

Emily is growing up!

Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - Lie To Me - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I ABSOLUTELY HATE Fringe!!! I can't even stand the commercials! We ALWAYS watched Lie To Me and if we missed it we watched it on the computer! LOVE LIE TO ME! It was different than all the other shows! It had humor, intrigue, suspense, and everything different that set it apart from the rest! It was the ONLY show we watched on TV that wasn't a singing show, Biggest Loser or the Apprentice. We are so upset to see it go. It's just totally REDICULOUS!!! Fox you need to bring it back! We don't even watch your network anymore because of it, with the exception of The Sing Off... You'll get a whole lot more viewers if you show something DECENT like Lie To Me! I didn't see any of these others, but it makes no sense at all to me that this show got cut...Absurd!
Thank goodness for keeping Fringe alive. All copycat crime dramas are destroying TV.
Lie To Me was a great show!!! I dont think they should have canceled, they always cancel the good shows...
I AM FURIOUS!!!!!! This had to be on of the BEST shows on TV ever!!!! Especially when it was true to the fact Cal represented a REAL MAN WHO has a degree in facial expressions.

I truly loved this show it was teaching me alot! Other people if they had checked, what he did was a real STUDY! I sure police everywhere have alot ot this training!

I cant begin to say how dissapointed I am. And I am sure other people who knew this

was a true science are dissapointed as well.

PLEASE BRING IT BACK

hbylow - Canada

I'm so pissed that Fox could quit on Lie to me -Tim Roth & all the cast really just seemed to fit so well. Shame - Give it one more go pretty please
FUX... what a bunch of idiots. They are cancelling great shows in favor of lame shows.
Human Target should definitely be given another chance! I will add that if Fox was considering getting rid of Fringe then they really deserve to lose their popularity!
Play the ReRuns please..The Chicago code I started watching it late and got hooked...Breaking In play it over the summer so we can have a chance to love it but remember it is easier to watch a 1 hour show-so it was the 1st time in a long time I stop0ped to watch a 30min show Love Christian Slater and Bret Harrison..Im starting to think Networks are twisted in the way they estimate success..
Lie to Me is my favorite show along with Castle. Chicago Code is also on my weekly watch list; and I only have 4 or 5 shows. Look forward to watching Body of Proof too. Lie to Me did get it's 2nd chance; I'd like to see the same for Chicago Code.
I'm hoping Chicago Code gets picked up by a cable network - would LOVE to see that show on HBO or Showtime.
Lets show FOX what we think about cancelling The Chicago Code! Help get everyone you know to watch the final episode. http://on.fb.me/jsyZwS
Why FOX is not reading all these comments ! Two best show Lie to me and Human Target should not be canceled. Human Target was right on the track and was getting better ! Fox doesn't know anything about advertising these good shows...Lame decision makers and Lame shows equals to Fox..BS!
While I don't watch any of these shows, the reasons for show cancellaions are always the same. Money. If the numbers the networks want aren't there, then the advertising isn't there and so the networks don't make enough money. This is why they all love lifestyle and reality shows so much because they are very cheap to produce when compared with other types of programs.
I'd rather they cancelled all these shows and kept Fringe. Good decision Fox.
I am VERY upset about the cancellations of Lie To Me & Human Target! Very upset.
Once again, the TV execs at Faux shows how inept they are when it comes to selecting great TV shows. LIE TO ME, CHICAGO CODE & HUMAN TARGET are excellent programs that would have a far better following if the TV execs had not continued to shuffle the nights/timeslots. The practice of SPLIT SEASON viewing(show half a season; return 1.5 months later) also has proven to be a disaster. The script writers and the actors held up their end of the bargain, the failings belong with the heads of programming.
Human Target needs a second chance. That show was too good to let go. Just give us back the proper opening credits theme. Of course, I'd let this go easily if SGU got a second chance... Every year, they clean house of the best shows on tv...not too long now before shows like Doctor Who and NCIS will die too...
all shows should get 1 & 1/2 seasons... gives them time to develop a following and at the mid point of season 2, if not enough ratings, then cancel them and allow for tying up loose ends for the audience/fans... that way everyone would know to expect growth in first half of 2nd season or else andd if else, would get conclusion properly... would make the fans not so angry for getting #@itted out of closure, because we fans would get proper ending to the series... think about it broadcast network execs.... you guys are alienating your bread and butter with all these partial 1st seasons and changing the times off our shows then @@itcanning them after 8 or 12 episodes... crazy to expect us to invest ourselves this way over and over again... have some respect for us and you'll develop a BRAND loyalty base (loyal back to you for you considering US in your decisions) and really, we'd all know what to expect, even the actors and writers, but ESP the fans??!! think about it...
event canceled!? so tv shows usually take time to develop their characters and hit their stride... almost all the great shows took time to gather a following... this show has/had alot of potential, with great actors and plot... if a network out there picked up farscape, firefly, dark angel, the event, sgu, dr who, being human (uk version), true blood, warehouse 13, dollhouse, fringe, 24, V, Heroes, Torchwood, Enterprise, BSG, Defying gravity, the walking dead, Lexx, bionic woman and dexter... they'd be #1 network in three months... guaranteed... Anyone AGREE??? say hell yes to ORIONWAY's premise!!!!
Love Human Target, but who could ever find it, with American Idol on so much?
Too bad, I liked Lie to Me and Chicago Code, and Human Target was the perfect mindless entertainment of the action movie variety. But I can see that it would have been expensive to make! Should've cancelled Fringe instead of Lie to Me-- it jumped the shark with the whole other world bit, I just stopped watching when Olivia didn't come back and found I didn't miss it at all; it had been flailing for a while.
Bring back 24 it does not have to be Kiefer Sutherland make a new star character i just love that show its so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Breaking in is awesome, Traffic lights funny, and I enjoy Lie to me as well. Human Target was good, but dropping in content so I can understand that one. But seriously Fox needs to allow a minimum of a full season to air before it makes its decisions.
LIE TO ME?!?!?! we didnt even get a proper ENDING! its just cancelled!!! OMG i hate that!!! it was honestly one of the best shows, and maybe their fan base didnt grow cause they kept screwing up with scheduling!
Oh no i really liked traffic lights
Suprised Lie to Me got cancelled I like that show. Equally surprised Human Target lasted as long as it did. I didn't like it after seeing the pilot and a couple other episodes.
I've never seen Breaking in, seen a couple of episodes of Lie to Me, not a bad show. I really liked Traffic Light, Human Target and Traffic Light though. Sorry to see them go but when you watch a show on FOX it's best not to get attached to them.
How could they cancel breaking in before it even started???? that was retarded....the show is decent..... LIE TO ME is also very good.... i dont know why they canceled that....that was stupid decision.... I am very glad fringe is kicking ass ....seeing that iam running out of shows to watch with cancelation of Stargate Universe and the end of Smallville....
what the hell is wrong with you guys reallly cancels Human target and lie to me.. the 2 BEST show of the year on fox. I'm reealllly disappoint with fox right now..
I urge producers to boycott fox, not to do any new shows for them unless the channel is willing to sufficiently promote their shows and/or to keep the show on air for at least 3 years. I remember detesting ST Deep Space 9 for its entire 3 inital years, the by the 4th and throughout its 7th year it was the best show ever. Fox is an idea killer -the worst of its kind. Fox does not care at all for its viewers. They make a habit of introducing the most exquisite series and then cancelling them. Fox, you don't deserve us, we sure do not deserve you.
I think networks are really missing the mark. Lie to me and Human target are great shows. They need to stop looking purely at the viewers when the show is airing, but also the downloads of the tv shows afterwards. I don't have time to watch the shows at the time they are playing, but I either record or download them online for watching later. I'm sure a LOT of people love these shows, but are downloading them for later viewing at their convenience. Time for the ratings calculations to update with the times and take into account all viewing possibilities.
Thank goodness they cancelled Traffic Light. Now let's get som sitcoms with personalities like Drew Carey and 3rd Rock had! Sooo tired of all the pretty people.
Damnit, Traffic Light was good.
NateDogTheGreat's comments are right on the mark. $$$ rings the bells for those with veto power. However, ADVERTISERS are really missing out here. Short-sighted cancelations of shows with a growing fan base should be embraced and nurtured through PRODUCT-PLACEMENT!! Exactly what saved Chuck!! I don't really need to watch a Subway sandwich being eaten by a TV celeb to know if I want one or not. But when I'm ready for a sub, I DO think twice before my decision to buy. A company that supports my TV watching choices will also get my support in my buying decisions.

Fox, as with all networks, are at the mercy of the advertisers. Stop whining to networks about cancelations. It's too late, too little, and sporatic at best. The veiwing audience(regardless of where a show is watched) can and should have a place to voice their likes and dislikes to the ADVERTISERS. Not after a show is mothballed, but DURING the regular season. It's time the ADVERTISERS smartened up and realized that a loyal fan base does NOT happen in the 16-22 weeks of regular(if you can call the current scheduling "regular") scheduled programming. If advertisers were smart enough to REQUIRE the networks a small product placement, and in return ADVERTISERS supported a web-based fan site, they would see the REAL possibilties of a show. Then networks AND advertisers could make an INTELLIGENT, INFORMED decision based on real fan numbers!!

I don't necessarily want products placed center stage every 10 minutes. But, if that is the price to be paid for programming that doesn't make a lobotomy mandatory for enjoyment so be it.
As a UK viewer I have to say I am getting increasingly peeved at the way FOX keeps cutting the best shows on TV yet the same rubbish shows keep running (not just on FOX). CSI x 20 versions! NCIS the same. Whilst good shows initially it has just got stupid now. At least with LIE TO ME it was something unique. I was/am an avid BONES SUPERNATURAL NUMB3RS and LIE TO ME fan. Once again FOX shoots itself in the foot and p*sses off its viewers. Not everything is about money. Whats the point it people start turning away from FOX because they have finally got fed up. You can't start watching a new FOX show for fear it will get axed again after 20 shows. When will the start to listen to the viewers?
Can't believe Human Target and Lie to Me are gone. Now what am I going to watch this summer? Oh yeah, CBS and ABC.
@md5215= I agree that FOX doesn't have too much to offer anymore, except for Bones and Fringe which I watch religiously. I disagree, however, with your opinion of the Sunday night animation. But, to be fair, the only one I watch on a regular basis is Family Guy.
Has to be Human Target!! Bad ass fight scenes and hot chicks what more could you ask for??
Lie to Me, Human Target and Chicago Code are three of my faves. Too bad Fox only has a couple other shows that are any good. Bones and Fringe are the only reason I will ever turn them back on. The Sunday night animated crap should have been what got chopped.
Human Target - give the one more season!!!!
also yes they are a business and have to go by ratings but Fox has a record of canceling some shows prematurely and regretting it later. (Family Guy for example). It doesnt seem that they are really factoring in the stats for views online on sites such as Hulu. Lie To Me was consistently in the top 8 most viewed shows every time an episode was released, breaking in wasnt doin bad online either.
Lie To Me was a 10/10 show in the 1st two seasons and i imagine the 3rd will be the same when i watch it but Tim Roth was the glue that held it together, get him on something else QUICK!
I cant believe Lie To Me is being canceled, I really enjoyed most of the episodes. I also caught a few Breaking In's on Hulu and thought it was better than most shows on network TV today.
Lie to me being cancelled is a travesty. Fox sucks.
Lets show FOX what we think about cancelling The Chicago Code! Help get everyone you know to watch the final episodes. http://on.fb.me/jsyZwS
First of all let me just say that i loved Lie To Me and Human Target! However i dont think we should be calling Fox idiot's for cancelling the shows if they were not making the rating, let's face it Fox are a business just like any other. The question i want to ask is why are people not watching these class shows, but instead choose to watch all these other reality tv shows and other various rubbish thats been making my eyes bleed?? Each day i lose a bit more hope for human kind!
Load More Comments