Fox Is in "Significant Talks" for More Episodes of The X-Files

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson The X-Files  Photo Credits Ed AraquelFOX

Fox is negotiating with creator Chris Carter and stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson for another round of new X-Files episodes, network executives announced during the Television Critics Association fall previews Monday.

Fox is "in significant talks with the three principals," Fox Entertainment President David Madden said.

Catch up on all the latest news from TCA

After nearly 14 years off the air, The X-Files returned for a limited run earlier this year, to high ratings and mixed reviews. Some critics noted the awkwardness of the show having to reset and reintroduce itself after its long hiatus, a problem that Fox CEO Dana Walden says the series would not have in future episodes.

"The show was off the air for a very long time," says Walden. "They had the challenge of filling in the mythology. ... Going forward there won't be the same obligation to reset the series."

Are you hoping for more X-Files?

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Dec 01, 2016
About the only thing that made a impression on me was the dream/hallucination scene Mulder had with the lone gunmen. Want more, but they need to step it up a notch.
Aug 10, 2016
Actually X-files is for me about the dynamic between Mulder and Scully. The believer and the scientist. The banter was still there. That is what creates the magic. The narrative isn't that important.
I will watch anyway. That's what fans do. For better for worse.
But yeah. The writers could do a better job in coming up with some better story lines. And please keep the serialized aspects too.
Don't make this is a traditional procedural. We have enough of these.

Aug 10, 2016
As a long time X files fan i can't wait for more and I hope it's more than the 6 we had last time The new episodes felt forced and awkward in places but the spark was there and that's enough for me. More episodes like the 3rd one and we are on point for a great reboot. It is coming back and it should be better if the cliffhanger was any indication of what they can do with the show. I say more but better, much better. And soon please.
Aug 10, 2016
Some episodes were funny, and I appreciate the self irony and humor and Mulder often laughing at his own self. The dialogues did seem forced and the acting was at times embarrassing.
Can they make things better? Much better. Then bring it on.
If not, please buried the X-Files re-boot for good.
Aug 10, 2016
please christ, no more.

this is one of those rare occasions where i would prefer a reboot.
Aug 09, 2016
More X Files as soon as possible...of course!!!
Aug 09, 2016
It's just a matter of when, not if. The ratings and enthusiasm of those involved makes that clear.

But what's with the misleading subheader of this article? "But are the show's stars on board?" There was no indication that they were in doubt or question. You threw that in there as pure click bait. Crap like this is why this website is going to hell.
Aug 09, 2016
I cannot wait - many 'fans' were disappointed with the reboot - but it was 100x better than season 9 and IWTB

People seem to forget that the series' mythology has always been convoluted - even those brilliant early episodes like Anasazi was convoluted - give me a mythology episode that wasn't confusing and i will eat my hat

oh and people wanting Vince Gilligan back - a guy who also written some duds too :/ *sigh*

you cannot always hit the mark - GoT is the most popular series on TV and that show misses the mark a lot in it's short 10 episode seasons (fight me if you disagree)

The Event Series may not have been ground breaking TV or even well written - but it did give us M&SMTWM and that is enough to condone the reboot IMHO

I am excited to see more - and those people whining will still watch it nonetheless - idiots
Aug 09, 2016
And meanwhile I kept wondering, "Why does this guy want a reboot for The Event???"
Aug 09, 2016
I dont - clearly got the wrong of the stick - i was calling season 10 of XF 'The Event Series'

I didn't like The Event the first time round so why would i want a reboot?
Aug 09, 2016
LOL! I realized what you were referring to after a while. But in the beginning it was funny because I thought you were mentioning The Event as an example of series deserving a reboot. ;-)
Aug 09, 2016
I hope Chris Carter isn't withing 1000 miles of it. I also second the idea to Bring Back Fringe Instead. This last X-Files re-boot was a huge swing and a miss...
Aug 09, 2016
Fringe will come back and you will still whine, moan, complain that the writers have lost it, or it's convoluted, or they need new writers, or it's not as good as it once was previously

Hey, not everyone can be Ryan Murphy - whose writing is impeccable - oh wait............. (see AHS seasons 3-5 and Teeny Bopper influenced Scream Queens season 1)
Aug 10, 2016
X-Files last season was TERRIBLE - I mean really only the dumb and easily entertained can defend that horrible disaster - and yet you defend it like OJ wearing a bloody glove. Bwhahaha! You have no credibility sir. Also - I am highly looking forward to my Season 2 of the excellent Screen Queens while you're next season of Terminator Sarah Conner Chronicles is exactly where it's supposed to be - dead and not ever happening. HA!
Aug 10, 2016

Says the fan of AHS Hotel - come on love - it was a terribly written, acted, plotted, convoluted, painful season of TV
Dennis O'Hare and Kathy Bates were the only good thing about the season - performance-wise, character-wise, they were awful
It had Lady GaGa as one of the main characters in it - that just proves what a worthless PoS it was - and despite the secrecy surrounding season 6 - she will continue to ruin the series until she fucks off and lets a real actor play her characters

XF was disappointing compared to the hype - but it is certainly re-watchable - unlike the Ryan Murphy train wrecks of 2015

you definitely couldn't pay me to watch Hotel (or Freak Show) again - Scream Queens has a re-watchability quality due to it being a slasher (and i use that term loosely)

Calling Scream Queens excellent is the equivalent of calling the Kardashians excellent -- it just doesn't mix well

At least i admit XF had it's many faults - from writing, to acting, to pacing, but you go on and on about how SQ was excellent throughout - funny considering episode 12 was the only good episode out of 13 :)
And i'd take a badly written finale like 'My Struggle II' over that travesty SQ calls a finale any day

Oh and SCC is much better than SQ - i know that for certain :)
More +
Aug 08, 2016
While they're at it, why not bring back Fringe? I know they had a decent ending, but their ratings on Friday are about the same as New Girl and those other shows that keep getting renewed. Not seriously asking just amused that the networks can't be original anymore.
Aug 09, 2016
I would hardly call Fringe's ending decent... But leaving that aside, there's a difference between rebooting a show that's been off the air for a decade and rebooting a show that ended just 3 years ago.

But yeah, I can't possibly fathom why is there no more originality and everything is a remake, reboot or sequel - where the only ones that were really successful are the ones that had nothing to do with the original source material.
Aug 08, 2016
I'm with docspector on this one. And though I don't mind a seasonal arc, I would mind if that arc was a carry-over from the first and last episodes of last year's reboot.
Aug 08, 2016
Aug 09, 2016
i vote no as well
Aug 08, 2016
I was so happy when they said they were bringing the show back. Even more happy when they got the majority of the main cast members back. I found the 1st episode to be a little off but nowhere near enough to say it was a bad start and after that it just got better. It's pretty obvious though that for the show to really carry on eventually they WILL HAVE TO pass the torch. It almost seemed like that's the direction they were heading as well. If that does happen as long as it's done right with the right characters then it should be just fine. ANYWAY yea with the last episode it was pretty clear that more was probably going to happen and again I am super happy and excited.
Aug 08, 2016
Sure, but please better episodes.
Aug 08, 2016
Yes, please. The season may not have been perfect, but I did enjoy it overall, and with that cliffhanger ending they pretty much need to have at least one more season.

That being said, I know that the actors are busy and can't do full seasons anymore, but I would like to see them bump it up to about 8-10 episodes. That way they could have the stand-alone episodes without having the mythology feel rushed like with the last season. Plus, only having 6 episodes made the poor quality of "Babylon" stand out that much more.
Aug 08, 2016
Great news, loved the return :)
Aug 08, 2016

I don't care about the ratings. It's still better than 90% of what's out there! (my excuses to Stranger Things, Game of Thrones and so on)
Aug 08, 2016
Gawd no. The last time was awful. Mulder sounds like a crackpot and Scully his number one enabler. I was disgusted.
Aug 10, 2016
You could not pay me to watch more horrible X-files episodes - especially if the even more horrible Chris Carter is involved. Truly awful TV that season was - agree Yoda would...
Aug 10, 2016
agree Yoda would - your post just lost all credibility

Aug 09, 2016
Or people just aged and you couldn't deal with it - dick head
Aug 08, 2016
What he said...
Aug 08, 2016
FOX would be stupid to fail in the negotiations to bring it back for more episodes especialy with how it ended, but it's not as if FOX has a track record though...