Fox Orders Five New Series, Including Mindy Kaling's Comedy

Fox has been making all kinds of big scheduling moves in advance of next week's Upfronts. Just hours before canceling Alcatraz and The Finder and renewing Touch, the network picked up three single-camera comedies and two dramas. Let's meet 'em, shall we?

It's Messy

What it is: Created by and starring The Office's Mindy Kaling, It's Messy is about an OB/GYN "trying to balance her personal and professional lives." It's being compared to Bridget Jones' Diary, which is odd because usually when you're promoting something you compare it to something good. Burned, Renee Zellweger! This means that Kaling will NOT return to The Office next season.

Initial reaction based on description alone: Kaling is a charmer, and is there anything funnier than one lady getting all up in another lady's lady parts? That said, I'm still cautious.

My guess at the show's chances of survival even though I haven't seen a second of footage: Honestly, I have no idea. This doesn't scream out "hit" to me, so I'm guessing it has a 50/50 shot at making it to a second season, which is actually better odds than most shows.

Where Fox might schedule it: Hmmm... what should could Fox pair a comedy about an eccentric—dare I say "quirky"—girl-centric comedy with?

Ben & Kate

What it is: Formerly titled Ben Fox Is My Manny, this comedy follows a slacker-ish guy (Ben) who moves in with his uptight sister (Kate) to be her "manny," which is a dumb made-up word that means "male nanny." It stars Nat Faxon and Dakota Johnson.

Initial reaction based on description alone: This sounds like an idea that one of your friends came up with, the kind where you're forced to pretend that you like it. Odd couple, slacker vs. prude, etc. On paper, this doesn't sound like anything we're going to like.

My guess at the show's chances of survival even though I haven't seen a second of footage: Remember, I haven't seen a second of footage, so I have no idea. But I still think this show gets canceled before its 13 episodes air.

Where Fox might schedule it: Tuesday-night comedy block. Where else?

The Goodwin Games

What it is: Becki Newton (Ugly Betty) stars in this comedy about a father who leaves his fortune to his children if they agree to his terms. It comes from How I Met Your Mother creators Carter Bays, Craig Thomas, and Chris Harris.

Initial reaction based on description alone: This could be okay. Why does Fox have to stay so tight-lipped on its projects?

My guess at the show's chances of survival even though I haven't seen a second of footage: Completely unknown at this time, but given its pedigree, we'll lean positive.

Where Fox might schedule it: Again, Tuesday-night comedy block. Although one of these comedies will probably be held for the midseason or get a boost after The X Factor.

The Following

What it is: Formerly untitled, this thriller from Kevin Williamson stars Kevin Bacon as a former FBI guy on the hunt for a serial killer (James Purefoy) who's created a cult of serial killers. Whoa.

Initial reaction based on description alone: So... are the cult members the cases of the week? Will it just be serialized? If this goes dark, like it needs to, then we could be looking at something good.

My guess at the show's chances of survival even though I haven't seen a second of footage: This has the star power to stick around... at least for a season and a half.

Where Fox might schedule it: Monday seems to be Fox's favorite place for shows like this one. Maybe Touch moves to Mondays alongside The Following?

The Mob Doctor

What it is: This medical-ish drama stars Jordana Spiro (My Boys) as a doctor who just so happens to also work as a doctor for the mob because of a debt she owes.

Initial reaction based on description alone: I dunno, man. It just sounds too gimmicky to me.

My guess at the show's chances of survival even though I haven't seen a second of footage: I don't think this one's going to make it.

Where Fox might schedule it: This will likely air on Mondays or Thursdays.

These pick-ups mean bad news for other Fox pilots (remember, the network doesn't schedule in the 10pm hour). Fox has passed on Rebounding, El Jefe, Prodigy Bully, Little Brother, Let It Go, Like Father, and Living Loaded. Bummer, I was looking forward to Rebounding and El Jefe.

Do you like the sound of Fox's new series so far?

RELATED STORIES:
Fox Officially Cancels Breaking In and I Hate My Teenage Daughter
Fox Cancels Alcatraz and The Finder, Renews Touch

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

The following could be good, though it should probably be on cable station, but who cares cause Fringe will at least be back for half a season.
"The Mob Doctor" might have had a better shot like 5-10 years ago, back when the public was still interested in the mafia via "The Sopranos" Now, I don't know. I just don't see much of a demand for it out there.
Really? Those are the new shows ordered for next year?! I agree with Mcarson09...
Execs @ FOX really need to lay off the crack pipe...
big time pass on all of them
(sorry mindy but,) skip, skip skip, try The Following (as you said, star power,) and skip.

hope the following isn't anything like missing. *where star power equated to squat.*
I'll check out It's Messy and maybe The Following (however, it sounds like it should probably be on cable. Plus, It has to have plot continuity or I'm not watching).
It's Messy sounds not like a mis-step by giving Kaling both top creative and starring billing, she has a lot of charm and talent but I think it's asking too much to try to hang it all on her shoulders, and they'll fall into smutty jokes too fast (it's Fox and she's an OB/GYN, c'mon). Plus, Fox just ain't a girlie network, they simply wouldn't have anything to pair it with. Oh, wait, but then you said...

Ben & Kate, which sounds exactly like that show with Joey Lawrence and Melissa Joan Hart, except on Fox, so it's quickly canceled.

Goodwin Games sounds like Running Wilde v2, but we'll see more later.

The Following... nobody will be following. Criminal Minds meets Kevin Bacon, sounds great. ly canceled. Sorry, that last part simply insisted it was the correct way to end that sentence, I couldn't come up with a good enough argument to counter.

The Mob Doctor, sounds really gimmicky like you said. Oh but it's a girl doctor, that helps Fox cancel it faster.

This article seems like buying a sixer of beer and just pouring it down the toilet as soon as you get it home.
How many new Seth MacFarlane animated shows will there be? And there aren't enough talent competition shows!
The Following sounds really good, but it will probably be that "aaahh please get better" show. It has the idea, but it's never going to be serialized. It's going to be a procedural where, like you guessed Tim, there will be a new serial killer each week. I'd say 99% chance it's a case of the week show where the "big bad" serial killer shows up every 3-5 episodes,
I think It's Messy sounds better than New Girl. I don't think I will be watching New Girl next season. I don't know, the show just became too nonsensical (to put it kindly) to me. I'll definitely try out It's Messy. The Following sounds good. Fox could use a lot more procedural shows. It could be the newer version of Criminal Minds. I think Fox is smart enough not to pick up an sci fi shows next season, after what happened to TN and Alcatraz.
I likes me some Mindy, but this show might be one of those solid female demographic programs that's impossible for a male to enjoy. The OBGYN thing makes me suspect, because no guy finds vagina jokes relatable (or therefore funny).
Mob Doctor sounds a lot like the failed Rob Lowe show "Dr. Vegas", and the manny show sounds like something created by Jerry and George on "Seinfeld".
It's Messy; Sounds interesting Mindy is a decent actress and despite her quirkiness she is also snarky and funny. Something the other quirky girl isn't.

Ben And Kate; seriously? who green lit this?

The Goodwins; Could be fun. If they do a Brewster's Millions kind of a thing. Becki Newton is funny. it will largely depend on the rest of the cast and if they can go crazy enough with the plots. If it is something like they have to live together and learn to love each other and a family despite their grievances against each other then it should prepare for the trash bin.

The Following; Sounds like a good idea. Bacon can go dark and he is good when he does. But Alcatraz sounded like a good idea and look how that turned out. If they are going to go dark. Go freaking dark. We are grown ups, we can take it.

The Mob Doctor; No, Hell no. I like Jordana Spiro but no. This sounds like someone got stoned and watched Analyze This and thought that would be a good idea.
Sorry but Both The Finder and Alcatraz both sucked they deserved to be cancelled. Touch was actually the only one interesting out of the 3.
Nope, Done with Fox! I was invested in Alcatraz and The Finder, not Touch, and they go and renew the least interesting show? don't get me wrong, I am a BIG Kiefer fan but the show is just not... IDK! they did it before with Terriers (I know FX, but still Fox!), Human Target, Terra Nova... I just cant invest my time in a network that doesnt care about the show and only in the ratings system that is beyond flawed (I mean really, WHO are the Nielsen families these ratings are based on?) back in the day they would give shows a season or 2 to connect with people, nowadays, barely a season! ITS pathetic and I'm just plain fed up with Fox!
That's business everywhere. If you are going to be done with fox, you should be done with the other networks as well. You shouldn't give up on a network if you want to see people's creative visions on the small screen.

FX cancelled Terriers and Lights Out. HBO also cancelled a few shows people liked/loved. AMC cancelled Rubicon. TNT cancelled Men of a Certain Age. NBC cancelled Southland..list goes on and on. You have other good shows that make it with awful ratings (for the network) such as Fringe, Chuck and Cougar Town. And some networks have hits with quality shows such as Person of Interest and New Girl.
Alcatraz, The Finder, and (especially) Terra Nova deserved to be canceled. They shouldn't have had a first season, let alone two.

But my real beef with your comment is the erroneous statement that Fox only cares about the ratings system (I agree with the flawed part). If Fox only cared about ratings, Fringe would have been canceled seasons ago. Say what you will about their treatment of other shows, but they came through in the clutch for one of the best shows on TV ...

I guess I've become a Fox defender.
Ben & Kate sounds like the Fox-version of Melissa & Joey (which I LOVE so I'm not going to watch the stupid Fox-remake, where they couldn't even come up with an innovative name! There, I said it!).
No kelly kapoor in the office next season??
I won't be watching any of these. Hell if it weren't for Bones, New Girl, and Seth Macfarlane, I wouldn't even watch Fox next season.
The Following is the only one that sounds remotely good.

The rest? Barf.
The only thing that sounds interesting is The Following.
None of these interest me. Aside from Bones and the wrap-up of Fringe on Fridays I don't think FOX will have anything of interest for me this year.

Meh.
The Following has an awesome cast but the premise screams bad guy of the week and we all know how that turned out for Alcatraz. I'll tune in to the first episode no matter that though.

• 8:00 pm