Fox sets fall schedule... and challenges

Fox laid out its 2009-2010 schedule to advertisers today, and it isn't without a few surprises and some notable rolls of the dice. Network president Kevin Reilly conducted a walk-through with members of the media today during a conference call, giving his insight on why he kept Dollhouse, the expansion of So You Think You Can Dance's role, and Fox's next big comedy star.

Dollhouse wins, Terminator loses

Dollhouse was renewed and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was cancelled. Both shows struggled in the ratings, but Terminator was the higher-rated of the two (4.6 million viewers on average vs. 3.7 million for Dollhouse). Fox Entertainment Prez Kevin Reilly tried to persuade reporters this wasn't an either/or situation. What tipped the decision? Dollhouse's star producer, Joss Whedon.

Said Reilly, "This is a bet on Joss Whedon. If you looked at the profile of that show, he has an unbelievably loyal fan base. It did consistent in the 'live' ratings [when it aired in its time period] and consistently [ranked] as one of the biggest time-shifting shows on the air so we're placing our bet on Joss."

As for his thoughts on Terminator: "I think it had a nice little run," Reilly said.

Fox's biggest challenge: Turning a football player into an actor

Especially when they're casting him alongside some of the best in the business. The show is called Brothers, a family comedy set for Friday nights about a pro football star (played by gap-toothed former New York Giant Michael Strahan) who returns to live with his parents in Houston. The parents are played by Carl Weathers, Apollo Creed in the Rocky movies, and CCH Pounder, formerly of The Shield and described by many who have worked with her as one of the most formidable actresses in the business. Strahan's acting experience so far: One episode of Chuck.

Inside Fox's riskiest scheduling move

So You Think You Can Dance got called up to the majors--fall prime time--essentially to hold Fox's Tuesday and Wednesday time periods for the arrival of American Idol in January. Reilly explained, "We're going to schedule our assets in the fall so that we don't have to completely reconstitute our schedule in January when Idol comes on like we have in the past. [With Dance on Tuesdays and Wednesdays] we're going to create a very stable two nights that mirrors our midseason schedule."

OK, but what about Dancing with the Stars on ABC, which will overlap with Fox's dance show Tuesdays? Reilly danced that, insisting, "So You Think You Can Dance delivers a distinct and different audience than the other dance show."

Fox is hot on new comedy star (no, it's not Strahan)

It's Tyler Labine, who plays Sock, the doughy slacker sidekick to Sam Oliver (Bret Harrison) on CW's Reaper. Labine's headlining a new comedy for Fox, set to start in January, called Sons of Tucson from the producer of Malcolm in the Middle, Todd Holland. "I think this guy is a major talent in the making," Reilly said of Labine.

Fox has a thing for immortals

The network failed last year with New Amsterdam, the series about a New York City police detective who had been alive since the Dutch owned New York in the 17th century. He hasn't been reincarnated, but a concept combining elements of immortality and reincarnation has been developed into Past Life, featuring a pair of detectives (one of them formerly from the NYPD) who "unravel mysteries that must be solved in both the past and the present," says Fox. This one is set for midseason.

For Fox's full 2009-2010 television schedule, check out our guide to the upfronts!

God, I really wish I could take these guy's job, they suck at it and I'm pretty damn qualified to get a start :) .

They cancelled Terminator and renewed Dollhouse because of JW's Loyal fanbase?!?!?! WELL THEN BRING BACK FIREFLY. Seriously, the damage is done and they decide to open up a new wound acting like they can make up for the mistake they already made?

Here's what you do fox. Bring back Terminator and give it a more understandable fitting end, cancel dollhouse, and bring back Firefly if you really want to look like you know what you're doing with Joss.....
Tyler Labine is not an actor, he plays himself, and his character is not that much interesting. Put him in the same basket as Adam Sandler, Charlie Sheen, Will Ferell and drop them over the Niagara Falls....
i love michael strahan, he was on fox pregame and postgame football last year. He has potential. the guy is funny. for you dollhouse fans, its going to probably get replaced midyear because of its friday slot. terminator and prison break did well on mondays but fox did what stupid networks always do, but a high rated show like house into a high rated time slot on mondays between 7-9pm. just retarded
They cancel TSCC so they can put some crap on about football? BS! I guess FOX needed some color in their line up!
Sitcom about a football player... hmmm
Agreed with most of the other people here. Dollhouse is a halfway-decent show, but T:SCC was outstanding. It clearly deserved another season more than Dollhouse.
Once again, Fox dropping the ball! The gamble should have been on TSCC!
You cannot be serious, FOX. This is ridiculous. Terminator was one of the best shows on television, and you cancelled it in favor of Josh Whedon and his Dollhouse, which isn't as good AND had worse ratings. You want better ratings? DON'T PUT IT ON FRIDAY! Seriously, who watches TV on Fridays? I watch tons of TV, but not on Fridays. I'm a huge Scrubs fan, and I'm glad that it got renewed, but Terminator is way more deserving of another season, and I'd trade new Scrubs for new Terminator so fast you'd think I did it before you asked. Terminator is my favorite show bar none, and I am royally and unforgivably pissed that FOX cancelled it. I hope Dollhouse loses them millions.
Fox will loose hundreds of thousands of loyal American Idol fans all around America with tonights tragic ending of the show. I should call it the crap show! You should call it what it really is -- Americas teeny boppers Idol show! Why don't you involve the judges in a meaningful way in picking the winner? It's obvious the America's empty headed clueless youth cannot hold this decision in their stupid little hands. Their fingers may be fast with the redial buttons on the phones but their heads are empty and their ears are not qualified to make such an important decision. The judges know that what happened tonight is a travesty of majestic proportions. Adam deserved to win he earned it because he's a natural born star a gifted vocalists. But the teeney boppers can't recognize talent..there should be more input from the judges on who the winner is. I will not watch your show again.
I am so happy that Dollhouse is coming back. I think it gets better with every episode and I can not wait to see new ones. I think it is a great show. Then again I find myself liking just about anything that Joss does. However, I hate to see T:SCC leave though. I think it was a great show but it was starting to go down hill. But I hate when networks give us a show for season after season and then just end it. But they really did not end it. They did a season finale that was just that a season finale. It left things up in the air. It did not end. All it did was leave people who actually watch the show with questions. And with the movie coming out this summer I think the fans of the tv show are going to want more. More of John, Cameron, and Sarah. More robots. More guns. More action. Not more questions left unanswered. CBS is doing the same thing with The Unit. Taking a great show off the air and leaving people who love and watch every week with questions. CBS and Fox are both making mistakes. Before when they cancelled a show (Jericho - CBS and Prison Break - Fox) that was watched and loved at least they did another season and wrapped everything up for us. They answered the questions and ended them right. Fox gave us five weeks of Prison Break and ended things and did not leave us questioning what would happen or what could happen. Don't we deserve that with TSCC? I want to know who and where I write to at CBS and to Fox to let them know they owe us endings. We are the ones that watch and I think we deserve an ending to some of our favorite shows and not to be left hanging. We are loyal to our shows and therefore the networks that show them.
Fox makes retarded programming decisions. I tried to watch Chuck. I wanted to throw up. I liked Terminator, and Dollhouse. Although admittedly both had fairly weak programming this season. The whole 'Sarah's going crazy without sleep' thing was the most boring thing I've watched in a long time. I had to push myself through those episodes in case there was something relevant to the story arc. Dollhouse had a weak start, but I think it improved as the season went on. With Dollhouse it was more about the character growth than the actual story each episode. It had some pretty weak individual episodes, but they were necessary for the story arc. I wish they would have kept both series going, but I admit I wasn't too excited for Season 3 for Terminator. I wasn't that in to the whole 'future' aspects. I think that Fox would have noticed an increase in ratings for Sarah since the new movie is coming out soon. This is Fox though. It's not like they make a habit out of keeping sci-fi shows around. They cancelled Firefly. I suppose the best we can hope for is that they pull a 'Family Guy' and resurrect Sarah for fall 2010. It's a long shot, but maybe the new Terminator movie will spike more interest in the series.
TAKE THE PLEDGE!

Well, that does it! They terminated TSSC, I'm terminating FOX. I will never watch another prime time show on FOX live again ever! I will still probably view the Sunday animated shows but only Tivo'd or on line. They will not get me to watch another commercial on their network ever again! It's that simple and that easy! Screw You FOX! I hope your network goes down the tubes. For the rest of you TSSC lovers who are mad too, take the pledge too and let FOX know it. Pledge to never watch another live FOX prime time show again ever! If you're hooked on something they haven't cancelled yet, only watch it recorded, (make sure to skip any commercials) or on line. Send them a letter telling them so. They will be glad to hear they just lost a few million more viewers! Think about it folks, this is a pledge that's pretty easy to keep. Even if you still like a few other of their shows. These guys need to know they can not continue to treat their viewers like crap and not pay the consequences. And when you write to FOX, tell them about others you know taking the pledge too. While you're at it, copy the folks at Neilsen too, they should know how flawed their data is too.
I'll never understand all the hate towards Dollhouse. I find it to be one of the most original, compelling, and well written shows on television. But before each episode even aired, a group of anti-Whedon fanatics (who, of course, prefaced every piece of crap they said with, "and I really want to like this show") were out there trashing what they hadn't yet seen.

All you Terminator freaks, just go away and cuddle up with your DVD and Blu-Ray sets. Sarah Connor got two seasons to develop and it wasn't until the last 2 or 3 episodes that it was finally watchable. I think it's meandering journey proved that you need time to develop a show like it or like Dollhouse. I'd have saved both shows, but I think it's perfectly fair that, if Terminator got two seasons, Dollhouse should get two seasons.

The only disheartening thing, here, is they left Dollhouse on Fridays. Terminator was allowed to develop on mid-week nights. And now the lead in is a sit-com?
"Well, here we have 2 sci-fi shows on Friday. One is great, always getting better, actually gets decent ratings, and will be given a boost by a hugely promoted summer blockbuster film. Then we have this other one which is boring to watch, gets horrible ratings which - get this - actually went DOWN as the season proceeded (as in people watch the show, hate it, and don't tune in the next week, a trend which went all the way to the season finale, which had the lowest ratings of the season), and other than the 'Joss Whedon Brand', has absolutely nothing going for it. I say we keep the crappy one that no one watches!"

Jesus H. Krist! I even went out and bought S.1 of T:TSCC, and was planning on watching T4 opening weekend, just in case my small contribution might be imitated by others, which may have lead Fox to realize what a winner they had on hand. But no, cancel the good show, and keep the crappy ones that may totally suck, but get more attention than the Presidential Race (dancing, singing). People enjoy that whole mindless "I hope John Smith wins, even though I'll forget who he is the second the winner is declared" thing.

Try and tell me Fox wouldn't run a real "The Running Man" tv show (or any of the TV shows described in the novella or the movie) if it got ratings. My god, they kept "Prison Break" on for FOUR DAMN YEARS! I felt so sorry for the "Micheal" character - having to run around in turtlenecks for 4 seasons (including one season in a 115 degree South American prison), all because they didn't feel like taking the time/money to show Micheal covered in tats (first 3 seasons) or scar tissue (Season 4).

What was my point? Oh yeah - I HATE FOX!!!

-ak
Are you kidding me!!! Terminator is waaaaay better than Dollhouse, and I watch both, this sucks they need to rethink this one, at least Chuck is coming back that's cool. R.I.P Terminator S.C.C. you will be missed.
I'm glad Chuck was saved but I would also have liked Terminator to have continued too.
RIP TSCC... Would rather have seen dollhouse removed... oh well, chuck was saved :D
If FOX has a thing for immortals.. then make a new Highlander tv-show! : )
Terminator was better than Dollhouse. Dollhouse has weak storyline and gets boring in some episodes, Im watching it cause I like some of Whedon´s work but it hasnt impressed me yet.
i love summer glau, but i absolutely despise noncanon shows. oh and terminator salvation is going to blow. bad reviews already. time travel is just stupid. ugh
Whedon had a his shot at the big time. His 15 minutes are up, Dollhouse came losing on every end, yet it got picked over T:SCC??? Joss Whedon has a loyal fan base, maybe to him, but clearly not to his productions. I must have a brain tumor, coz I can't seem to get it...
I dont understand how they can keep dollhouse but get rid of sarah conner?Personally i think doll house is a decent anough show but it wasnt as good as sarah conner.With the new terminator movie coming out this summer i think that there might have been a bump in the ratings if the movie does well.I really dont understand what the suits behind the scenes are thinking sometimes,it just seems like a missed opertunity to me.Im so annoyed that sarah conner got the axe,oh well ive still got chuck.
Whedon or not, Dollhouse sucks and I actually gave it a fighting chance to impress me. Bad move, Fox. At least you got AI, Simpsons and anything Seth MacFarlane pitches to you, right?
tenz0r, I like your plan. I'm a Dollhouse fan and not a T:SCC fan but I think the compromise you created is a good one.

BTW, SYTYCD is awesome. It's not some typical reality competition like AI. Because dancers actually need the spotlight sometimes. Plus, dancing never gets boring.
Dollhouse season two will get even worse ratings than the first and will be cancelled mid season anyway.. so why did they bother?

JOSS IS A ONE HIT WONDER! (I'm counting Buffy & Angel as one)
Past Life? Is this Fox's version of Cold Case? And Losing SC:T is a massive blow for Fox. Keeping Dollhouse instead is big mistake.
FOX learned their Whedon lesson. Shame on them once for cancelling him. Give him more of a shot than 13 episodes on a Friday night at 9pm.
OMFG!! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!!!

i am soo freaking HAPPY!! i was freaking out because i thought dollhouse was going to be cancelled!!! THANK GOD its coming back:)

you all better make sure the ratings go up or ima hunt you down :)) l0l i cant wait till the next season :))
I'm glad Dollhouse is back!
The fact that Dollhouse blows make the cancellation of Terminator even harder to swallow.
natejohnstone is right & dollhouse sucks
I'm so happy they're saving Dollhouse, I purposely didn't watch the season finale because I didn't want to see what might not have been continued due to cancelation.
It is exactly like here: http://www.whedon.info/local/cache-vignettes/L520xH615/head-trip-web-comic-dollhouse-96ed4.png
Terminator would have received a huge ratings spike in the fall following this summer's film...to cut it now without giving it that chance is stupid. Mid-season, sure if it's not making the grade. BAD move by fox--suprised?
Terminator series seemed to be going further and further downhill. Contrary to what people are saying, I don't think much more could be done with that show. I mean, nothing really even happened in season two.

I started off being a huge fan of it, but season 2 just proved they had no stories to tell.

However, I do think every show deserves a wrap up, they should have given it a two part finale or something to finsih off the story for fans.. but I guess this isn't a perfect world.

........... It's pretty damned ridiculous That Dollhouse got saved over a higher rating show.I mean WTF!?! Who cares about if it has Joss. It has lower ratings and isn't going to pickup in its second season just cos of Joss! Firefly was boring (although I loved Serenity.. go figure) and Dollhouse has no potential. Ah well.. Good on Dollhouse and maybe the creators of T:SCC have learned their lesson not to create boring season arcs about "three dots"
terminator deserved another season, unlike dollhouse. i watched both, loved terminator and liked dollhouse, but really with more viewers and way higher quality why was dollhouse renewed. If the reason was Joss Whedon, who cares about him. He did great stuff, but judging dollhouse on its own terminator owns it.
This is basically the reason why I always hesitate to really get into a show on Fox. You never know when they're going to pull the plug, no matter how good the show is or high the ratings are. I wouldn’t have guessed this for the world. Especially with the new terminator movie shaping up to become a huge success. I really thought people would catch on after seeing the movie. Seems logical to me!

Terminator had way more potential story wise too, I’m afraid Dollhouse will become more of the same. And don’t even get me started on the explanation on why dollhouse is going to be renewed, that’s the worst argument I’ve ever heard. A good producer is never a guarantee for a good show especially when the story is as weak as this.

Thanks for another disappointment. FOX the graveyard network!!!
they cancel terminator, and let shows like brothers and so you think you can dance stay on air? I mean Dollhouse was fun to watch, but I would have rather kept Terminator.

Dollhouse and Terminator would have benefited from having shorting seasons. Like a 12-13 episode season would have been better then a dragged out 24 episode season. What FOX should have done is kept both those shows, and had Dollhouse premiere in the Fall, and when the season ended for that then Terminator would take it's spot.
Yes!! I am thrilled that they are bringing back Dollhouse!!!
So now they ARE accepting time shifting as a real means of gauging viewer interest? Better tell that to the Neilson ratings people because they don't and those ratings are what really counts for U.S. TV!
Can't believe they cancelled Terminator, it had better ratings than Dollhouse and has Summer Glau in it. Im a big Whedon and Eliza fan but Dollhouse just hasn't hit the money for me.

If there's an outside chance of a couple of eps to wrap up TSCC I'd like that...it was just getting interesting too :(
Looks like they finally pulled the life support plug on Terminator... could never understand how they thought the show would survive on Friday nights when its targeted demographic is usually out enjoying the weekend.
YAY Dollhouse!!!!! Sucks about Terminator, but oh well. As long as Dollhouse got renewed I don't mind.
I hate FOX cancelling the Terminator!!! Screw this motherf******
So we never get to find out the end of Terminator. Thanks alot fox. At the least give us a 2-3 episode order to finish the storyline. Also, I liked New Amsterdam and fox did not give it a fair chance.
I think the decission to cancel "Sarah Connor" is based on the shows budget, it does cost more money to produce, especially an action/scifi series. I just feel that Dollhouse isn't Whedon's best work.
Maybe Summer can join Dollhouse as another Doll?
The other guy is right, Whedon should be ashamed of Dollhouse.
I could not be happier about Dollhouse, but that SUX about Terminator! I was really getting into that show! plus w/ Summer on that show & Eliza on right after in Dollhouse, it was like a Whedon girls' night :(
Hmmm, Fox, some right, some wrong, whole lotta mess.
Load More Comments