Fox's Tuesday comedies: Raising Hope Gets Creepy, New Girl Gets Fancy, and Breaking In's Ladies Get Annoying

Hey guys guess what! Fox effectively canceled I Hate my Teenage Daughter last week and I danced around my living room with sparklers.

Okay, I danced around my living room with incense sticks that I pretended were sparklers with the power of IMAGINATION.

The news of IHMTD’s timely demise inspired me to suck it up and watch it last night while writhing in agonizing death throes. So, welcome to this round-up, I Hate My Teenage Daughter. You get to be that office temp who sucks at her job and has the entire office eagerly awaiting the day her contract runs out.

Raising Hope S02E18: “Poking Holes in the Story”

When Jimmy loses his nipple in a crib accident (yes, nipple, I was cringing the whole time and promising my gals that I will never ever ever let something so heinous happen to them), the Chances realize that most of Hope’s baby gear has been recalled for safety violations. Jimmy builds her a crib out of a cardboard box and a teddy bear out of rice and a toilet seat cover, and Virginia takes a job as a live-in housekeeper for an affluent father to make the extra money to replace Hope’s toys. When she walks in on her employer’s teenage daughter engaged in some premarital sexytimes, Virginia takes it upon herself to act as the Ghost of Teenage Pregnancy Future and warn the adventurous young’uns about what miserable fate awaits them if they become parents before prom night.

She enlists Burt’s help, but he’s on the side of true love, free fornication, and—as we learn this week—manipulation. I kept waiting for the joke when Burt would admit that he poked a hole in the condom the night Virginia got pregnant with Jimmy, but nope, it wasn’t a joke. He told the story of falling in love with Virginia and realizing she was out of his league, that the only way he would be able to keep her in his life was if he gave her the gift of an unwanted pregnancy.

Virginia was touched that he was so enamored with her in high school that he found it in his heart to essentially breach nine levels of trust by sabotaging their birth control behind her back. Thought if you ask me, it was very much not okay.

On the Bright Side:

– I loved the inclusion of lawn darts in the montage of recalled toys that Jimmy played with as a kid. My dad took ours away after my brother got one lodged in a tree, the wind blew, and it impaled itself in the picnic table. When we wept about the unfairness of it all, he pointed at the hole in the table and said, “Now imagine that’s your skull.” Memories!

– Do kids today seriously not know who Alicia Silverstone is? I guess they don’t really have a reason to, but still, I don’t come into Raising Hope expecting to have my mortality thrown in my face.

– You know, creepiness aside, Jimmy pretending to be his great-grandfather in order to give his dementia-stricken great-grandmother a good memory of their anniversary was sweet.

I Hate My Teenage Daughter S01E07: “Teenage Vacation”

I Hate My Teenage Daughter continues to be un-entertaining, but now that Fox itself has acknowledged that it’s a scourge on their generally awesome Tuesday lineup, I’m less enraged by its existence.

The Millers and the Watsons go on vacation and their daughters are insufferable brats. Consider this the template for every episode of I Hate My Teenage Daughter ever. Something sitcom-y happens... and their daughters are insufferable brats.

New Girl S01E17: “Fancyman Part 1”

When Jess gets into it with the parent of one of her students over which subject is more important, math or art, she gets a little feisty and her boss orders her to apologize before the wealthy dad pulls his donation to the school.

The wealthy dad, Russell (guest-star Dermot Mulroney), despite his preference for fractions over frescoes ends up being a pretty nice guy. Too nice. When Jess’s car breaks down while she's on the way to apologize to him, he has it towed and repaired. He gifts Nick a spare cellphone because thanks to Nick's fabulous credit rating of 250, Nick can’t get one on his own. He admits that he doesn’t spend enough time with his daughter to honestly know her, and when Jess flubs her way through asking him out, he does the hard part for her. He’s too perfect. "Part 2" better reveal that he steals money from Girl Scouts or something.

Anyway, Russ single-handedly solves both Nick and Jess’s major problems of the week with a flick of his wrist. You can’t keep a character with a magical MasterCard around for too long. It creates a bizzarro-world. IT UPSETS THE ECOSYSTEM.

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?:

– “I don’t know how to drive cars that work,” uttered Jess when Russ urged her to borrow his car while her own was undergoing repairs. I love it. I was a pro at patching up decrepit exhaust pipes with soap cans and bailing wire before I finished high school.

– Nick: “Is it possible to be sexually attracted to an object?” Russell (and my boyfriend, unrehearsed and in unison): “Yes it is.” I’m almost afraid to ask.

Breaking In S02E03: “The Blind Sided”

Veronica gets maternal when Contra busts a talented hacker with the handle of “Rembrandt” and discovers that he’s only 14 years old. She wants to be like “that girl from Speed” in The Blind Side. She tells Oz that he can be the husband. Oz is totally thrilled.

Not.

I want to go back and re-watch the first episode of Breaking In's second season because I don’t remember Megan Mullally’s Veronica being quite so clueless when she was introduced; I need to know if something changed or if I just missed it, because the character has gone from amusing to annoying pretty fast.

Veronica makes Rembrandt an intern at Contra. It goes about as well as you expect and Oz sweeps in to clean up the mess, blackmailing the teenager into more lawful online activities with footage of his theatrical debut in Annie... playing Annie.

Bonus Features:

– Nice arc reactor, Cash. Me gusta.

– Cameron and Melanie finally end up in the back seat of his car. She’s the big spoon. Freaked out by her feelings, Melanie bails by the end of the episode, ditching Contra like a bad date.

– There are officially no longer any non-irritating females on this show. Early in the episode, Cash builds a metal statue of Melanie to help Cameron woo her. When she leaves, they melt it down in a delightful homage to Terminator 2. I think I get more enjoyment out of the geek references than I do from the actual plot of the series.

And that’s a wrap for this week, kids! Were you appalled to learn that Burt is a creep? Are you reveling in anticipation of life after I Hate My Teenage Daughter?

When Mullaly pressed Cash's chest and the arc reactor lit up I was on the floor laughing, I need that shirt now. But Breaking In isn't as funny this season as last, I'm a bit disappointed, especially now that Cam and Mel finally got together and she just left, so lame.

I usually love Raising Hope and this episode was fine until Burt admitted he got Virginia pregnant on purpose. That's so wrong and she should have at least been a little pissed.
Breaking In... oy. They brought it back and made it worse. Too bad I love many of the actors but this show isn't good.
New girl is just not that funny, sorry!

Raising hope is sick! I love it!
Breaking In was good and sill has potential but why dont they stick to the plot of the show...They have not broken in to anything.

PS...If Odette is finished in the show than I think that will prove to be the end for me.
It's sad that Breaking In is not long for this world... again. But yeah, I really don't get why TPTB thought bringing Megan Mullally on board would be a good thing. This poor show just can't catch a break.
Personally as a 19 year old male i thought the I hate my teenage daughter wasnt really enjoyable my 12 year old sister liked it though so maybe it worked the way it was supposed to. other than that i love the Tuesday lineup and that even if im busy that night they are on demand. Raising Hope is what Fox has been looking for since Malcom In The Middle ended. New Girl has ZD who is hot, so i checked it out then ended up liking Shmidt the best because he is hilarious to watch freak out, and Breaking in is a Show i loved last year was really bummed when they canceled it. then super pumped when they brought it back. (last show fox did that with was Family Guy) the only thing i dont like about Breaking In this season is they took off Trevor Moore (Whiteness Kids You Know, Miss March) and Replace him with Megan Mullally. all though new blonde girl very hot but in a differant way than Odette Annable.
Is it weird that I can't stand zooey deschanel for playing the same quirky girl character in all her roles, but I don't mind megan mullally always playing a crazy, free-spirited women?
Is that weird? In my opinion, no. While I can easily see why people find ZD adorkable (ugh to that word) and MM intensely annoying (especially so in "Breaking In"), I feel pretty much the same way you do.

Zooey's dippy cluelessness in "New Girl" never, ever fails to grate on me. I think an IRS tax audit episode would be fun to watch. Try being adorkable then and see how far that gets you.

Megan is indeed a little too much on her current Fox series but I've enjoyed her in many other things, "Childrens Hospital" in particular.

I'm gonna say it! Out of these shows I Hate My Teenage Daughter is my favourite! New Girl is funny but it's getting boring! I barely got past two episodes of this season of Raising Hope and I just heard of Breaking In but I'm not a Megan Mullally fan.

Seriously Fox! Find one idea that makes financial sense and milk it until viewers wish it cancelled! Investing in TV shows now is impossible! You have 10/13/22 episodes to tell a full story before a show is replaced with Idol reruns!
What are you doing FOX cancelling I Hate My Teenage Daughter, come on this show was funny and yes most teenagers are like the girls portrayed, most are uncontrollable and don't listen to parents or any other adults for that matter...this may or may not come down to being able to smak your kids and being able to let them know what is wrong and right, the kids these days do what they want look at all the viral video's of kids fighting and they think this is cool.....well another good show goes to the vaults..like Terra Nova...V...Caprica......please stop cancelling good shows and stop putting STUPID REALITY SHOWS...we are so sick of them.......
Megan Mullally is annoying in everything she does. There is never any moderation with her acting and it always ends up just being over the top.
New Girl was dumb. Do they have no ideas left? What else would make them turn to toilet humor. I saw that and I think that is what put me over the edge for never watching the show again. That and the conflict between Winston and Schmidt was a pub quiz.

Now as for Breaking In. I am one more show away from putting it on my no watch list. Meghan Mulally is just too much. I can't take it. She annoys the hell out of me. And if Odette is off the show. Couple that with Mulally getting way too much screen time. And i officially have no reason to watch the show.

To immediately fix this. Leave the british girl, she is funny, her character is funny. There is no reason why she can't be a liaison to Veronica so we only have to see her once or twice a season. Bring back Odette and allow Oz to be in charge again.

Fox Seriously, Mulally is ruining the show.
I like Megan Mulally, and I think that while she's not my favourite addition to the show, I don't mind her. I just love "Breaking In", though, and if that's what it needs to do to not get cancelled, I can live with it. As for Odette Anabelle, she is signed on for at least 2 more episodes, so I imagine she'll be back for the end of the season and then would be back for next season (should it get it), now that "House" is ending.

As for "New Girl", I enjoyed this new guy, but you're right, you can't have a guy that together on this show for too long.

As for Burt on "Raising Hope", if it was the random guy on the street, it'd be majorly creepy. On the other hand, this is a messed up couple who are right for each other. Plus, remember, he had the whole road trip thing, too. I enjoy this show quite a bit.
Megan Mulally's character is irritating beyond aaaargh!!..I was sad when this show was "cancelled", now its back i would rather it stay with the blonde british and ditch the irritating Mulally.

Now House is ending, whats up with Odette?..can she come back? did i miss that news?
I concur on Breaking In. I said it before on the first episode of this season, I HATE Megan Mulally. The blond brit is cute but annoying, and with Odette gone there may no longer be a reason to watch this show.