Fringe: Death Becomes Her Artistic Inspiration

With all the recent attention on Peter getting home to Universe A - Timeline A (or whatever you'd prefer to call it), Universe A - Timeline B's cold reaction to Peter, and Lincoln's hair in any universe, it's forgivable if you'd forgotten that Fringe can go full-blown procedural at times. That's exactly what happened in Friday's "Forced Perspective," a standalone installment that ignored the season-long mysteries that've been kicked into high gear over the last few episodes.

At the center of the case was Emily Mallum (Alexis Raich), an artistic teen who could foresee deaths. Rather than warn those about to be killed to not walk so close the zoo's polar bear habitat and stay clear of piano movers, she drew images of their impending deaths and gave them the artwork so that they would have a chance to say their last goodbyes to loved ones. Obviously, that plan didn't work and she just got odd looks from people until a stray construction site I-beam impaled them! That was rad.

But things got progressively less interesting after Random Guy #1 met his maker. Emily had a big vision of several people dying, leading the Fringe team to stalk a madman intent on bombing a courthouse. From that point on, it was pretty much straight-up stop-the-bad-guy police antics; the episode even ended in a fizzle-out when Olivia talked the bomber out of flipping the switch with the old "think of everyone's families" trick, reducing the man to tears and convincing him to acquiescence to the authorities. Oh, and in the end, Emily had a stroke and died.

"Forced Perspective" did brush its fingertips against some of Fringe's long-term mythology: Olivia butted heads with Nina regarding Massive Dynamic's poking and prodding of Emily, painting Universe A - Timeline B's Nina in a darker light and setting up a future showdown between her and Olivia. And Peter had a quick discussion with Olivia about Observers; the bald-headed weirdos haven't been charted much in this timeline, and when Peter asked Olivia if one had contacted her (remember, September said he'd seen her in all possible futures and she dies in each one), but Olivia lied and said, "Nope." The old Olivia would never have done that!

I'd probably rank this as the weakest episode of Season 4 so far, and slap the deadly "filler" label on it. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't up to Fringe's lofty standards.

With such little progression of the overall Fringe mystery in "Forced Perspective," now's a great time to try and clear things up about what's going on. I've touched on this in the past, particularly after "Back to Where You've Never Been," but now I'm ready to give it another shot after an email exchange with my pal Michael, who's better known around these parts as Arch_Angel88.

My firm belief on the universe situation is all theoretical science. I see these two universes, A and B let's call them, linked together no matter what timeline we're in. But simultaneously, these two universes also exist on multiple planes, or timelines as we've been referring to them, creating sets of pairs of universes. There's still the chance of a third, a fourth, or even a four-thousand-eight-hundred-twenty-seventh universe, but we haven’t seen them yet.

Think of the idea of multiple universes as fourth dimensions, and think of the timelines as fifth dimensions. We (normal humans) are just learning to see/take advantage of the fourth dimension, as we've seen when Olivia and others cross over (Seasons 1-3). The Observers, however, are able to see and move through the fifth dimension, which is across timelines. It's probably a misnomer to call them dimensions, but that's the easiest way I can think of to label them.

I have a feeling that there is only one Peter who made it to adulthood across all timelines because he's some sort of chosen one, whereas there are multiple copies of everyone else. Peter is instrumental in keeping the balance in the existence of everything, and the Observers are trying to make sure he seeks out his destiny and keeps existence as we know it from imploding or whatever else sounds incredibly ominous. But September dropped Peter back in the wrong place (oops!), and now he's got to fix things. But how do you fix something that's already happened?

Now let's hear how YOU are explaining these multiple universes to your friends.

Notes:

– Pretty cool effects on that frozen bomb scene. It's incredible Fringe can pull off something that on its budget.

– I don't know why it is, but I'm having a hard time seeing the streets of Vancouver as anything but Vancouver. It doesn't look like Boston at all.

– I miss nice Nina. Don't eat the soup, Olivia!

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I was glad to watch a good filler episode without the whole Peter drama. It's almost a sign that confirms that now Peter is accepted into this new timeline that never knew his existence before. About all the universes and timelines thing, my interpretation of it hasn't changed since ep 2. For me it was clear all along that those two universes are still the same old blue and red. The only difference is that the machine (and/or the observers) erased Peter from them. The why though, I'm not certain of it : I'd say that Peter was the main factor responsible of the destruction of both worlds (like he saw it when he jumped into the future thanks to the machine) so he had to disappear. So, in light of the "Olivia must die thing", I guess that now Peter's back thanks to the Observer's fondness who wasn't able to finish the job, Olivia might be the next to get the ax in order to save the world(s).
Even the standalone episodes of Fringe are so freaking awesome! I just love this show too much. The girl acted wonderfully. And seriously, how do they pull off those cool scenes with such a low budget! I want an episode completely dedicated to the Observers! Is that too much to ask? This may be the last season and I really want an insight into the life of the Observers.

"The Chosen One" is exactly what Peter is. I think at the end of this season, Peter will realize he was in his own universe all along, but in a different timeline. And since Fringe writers won't leave us high and dry, there will be a lot more going on and the big endgame might not be the return of Peter's memories in everyone's minds. There may be bigger issues to tackle, like the evil-Nina and RDJ plot and the writers would probably make Peter re-develop the relationships with the people around him. That would be quite satisfying for me. The one thing I don't want is for this to be Universe C and Peter returning to his own Universe A in the finale. That'd just make all of this into a filler season and will be quite anti-climactic.
Even though a filler I really liked this episode, couldn't do my nails as I planned while watching. The girl was awesome, her death was sad but it made sense in my Supernatural fan head.

Nina is the worst "closest to a mom" one could ever have and I feel sorry for Olivia, always used. It's gonna hurt bad soon poor O even though I'm sure Nina has a very good explanation for the injections. Evil woman.

About the Observers..I think September was Olivias only chance of surviving, maybe he was on his way to save her and got shot for it. And btw, wasn't it the same observer outside the apartment as it was when Peter came from the lake? I got the feeling that he isn't as nice as September. If you can tell that sort of thing from the back of someones head.
There was something else i found interesting in the episode. When Olivia and Emily were at the lab, Olivia asked Emily if she felt something about her or her death and in that moment the buzz sound started and was rapidly stopped when someone (i can't remember who) walked in. Maybe Emily saw how Olivia was supposed to die and drew it somewhere...
If you recall, Emily had said that her own death was revealed in stages. We first see her drawing the lake scene at the very beginning of the show but no person is in the drawing. Emily most likely saw Olivia witnessing Emily's death at the end.
Part of me is still worried that it'll turn out there IS no going back, that they wiped Peter out across ALL timelines and therefore Universe A, timeline A (which is where we want him to go) no longer exists - that there is only timeline B, forcing Peter to fully commit to the fight to save both universes in THIS timeline.

And forcing him to decide if he wants to pursue THIS Olivia, who is neither HIS Olivia nor Fauxlivia, but still the closest he's going to come.

But that's all rather depressing, and I'm still thinking "You have to die" might mean something along the lines of her having to die to activate the machine/trigger something with Peter/insert crazy theory here, which will reset the universe back to Timeline A where she won't be dead after all.

And they can all live happily ever after. :D
I haven't had a hard time buying this multi-universe thing, I think it's frickin awesome and am curious if Peter will step right back into where he vanished in timeline A and noone will notice (essentially making this whole season a great epic filler!)

I LOVED Alexis Raich, something about her face and her features were really cool and it was a shame to think she was only in the one episode.

was anyone else expecting her to leave a drawing for Olivia, or the end Olivia get one from her in the mail or something.. they could've explored that more, and it looked like she had info when Olivia was questioning her.

Why is September the only observer interested in Peter, didn't the other ones try to completely erase him?
September is the Observer who saved Peter in Timeline A, right? Somehow, he was drawn to Peter Bishop - either because the Observers DO have emotions, as we've seen, or because he's seen something involving Peter's future that he views differently from the other Observers. From the story about the Observer who sacrificed himself for the young woman (that DID happen, right, it's not just a dream I had?), we've seen that some of them are more "individuals" than others, capable of independent judgement and action.
Cool standalone episode, didn't like the ending with the girl though.

My biggest mystery is what Nina(and RDJ and Broyles) wants to achieve with the shapeshifters and the secret treatment of Olivia ?

What is she up to ?

I hope we'll get some facts sooner than later.
The timelines could merge!!

The ay i see this is if Peter (a singularity- the day we all wtf-ed)) and another singularity (say "Olivia you have to die")....

Look, obviously i havent worked the kinks out on my theory, but when i think about black holes/singularities merging and event horizons, i think they can play with the physics there so as the last 3 seasons dont feel like a waste and this season doesnt feel like a pit-stop rather be an intermission.

If by dying Mr.September meant Olivia too becomes an anomaly a-la Peter, then we would have two "black holes" that will encompass each other and.... OKAY, OKAY!! I WILL GO HAVE A DECAFNOW!
I see clearly how peter becomes an observer (i also think those observers ARE human in their premisses, then become Observers after a process of selection of some sort i.e not sure god or "higher being" is in the equation, but it would seem logical) I also think that Olivia is'nt born to be an observer, but she'll also become one due to her ties to Peter, and her lack of possibility of survival in any kind of the multiverse possible (surely because she's part of the Fringe division + her own unique capacities, which will cause her to become involved in the actions of MD, again, in any sort of universe, and that, on the receiving (surely violent) end.

I just wish we had more 'Observer' oriented episodes, before the show gets (omg...) cancelled, the childhood of September for instance, his selection, their 'Council' if they have one in some place, but I'd even take a council in a Vancouver / Boston caf (loved the one in Stargate (remember, anyone?) ) I think the Observers have a major part in the whole multivers turnouts, and still we know so very little about them.
You left out the BIG theory you wrote in your email, Tim! Man, was it a doozy! I never would have ever thought anything even remotely close to the genius prediction you laid down like a golden gauntlet. Brilliant dude, totally brilliant.

Anyhow . . .

Is this not the smartest Sci-Fi show you have ever seen?

I suppose you don't absolutely need to have a degree in physics, but it would undeniably help. If you wanted to have a better understanding of Fringe, you could at the very least brush up on your Hawking and Heisenberg (no, not that Heisenberg). Quantum entanglement, string theory, and the uncertainty principle is all required knowledge to fully comprehend the complexities of Fringe . . . okay, how many physics majors are rarin' to cut into me right about now?

Sadly, my quantum mechanics knowledge is limited to movies and Community (Chaos Theory, baby!) I have no idea if any of things I listed above are in any way applicable to what's going on in Fringe. I'm the guy physics majors make fun of while wearing their snide E=mc2 T-shirts: (we all know that matter and energy are really different forms of the same thing and that matter can be turned into energy, and energy into matter. So get over yourselves) the Journalism major.

Science has become cool again. I can quote intricate verses of Shakespeare, but nobody seems to give a damn about that. Don't worry, I'm not going to write down some of my favorites (but don't think I'm not tempted).

I've tried in the past to explain my thoughts and theories in a scientific manner, hoping nobody would notice I have nothing more than a High School education on the subject. So I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. I might not have any fancy multiverse rhetoric to back it up, or "intelligence", but I feel Peter is going to see his Walter and Olivia again. That's right, I FEEL. I don't know much about physics, but I know a hell of a lot about television. And every fiber of my being firmly believes Peter will get his universe back. I've heard the argument that the writers wouldn't sacrifice a whole season for a an irrelevant timeline. But does it make more sense they would sacrifice 3 seasons of character development? Universes, timelines and dimensions. Damn, I wish I was smarter.
"I don't know much about physics, but I know a hell of a lot about television."

I love it! :-)

And same here, not too much of a science background for me either, when I took physics it was at an art school. My theory about the universes is close to the one described above, but I think of them more like bubbles. In that way, more than one can build on each other and be connected. Is it safe to assume that you share Tim's theories?

I would LOVE to be Fringe as the smartest Sci-Fi show I have ever seen ...

... but I honestly think it's at least on par with Doctor Who wich is a very, very smart show.

By the way : this "insider" shit with your buddy Tim sucks. Either we get the whole "super theory" or you just shut up - sorry but that's just RUDE to all of us Fringerooloos.
Okay, I'll bite. What's Tim's BIG theory?
Well i think that Walter is gonna fix the machine but Olivia must help with her telekenetic or whatever its called abilities that she hasnt found yet and that she will die doing so but that peter is gonna get home or mabe not but could be cool plot,
Another episode from timeline F (like "Filler"), where they don't know about timelines A, B, C, D or E.
I may have to re-watch the scene, but I thought the Observer said, 'you must die'. Implying (at least in my mind) for the greater good, Olivia must be taken out of the equation. Given what we have seen so far, I believe this Olivia is going to be turned into some sort of weapon, much the way the original Walternate had attempted to use Peter. While Olivia doesn't necessarily have to die, I think if she doesn't pretty much all the other major players will.
Congratulations! You just described the Marvel Multiverse, first presented to the world via comic books in the 70s. ;)
My first thought regarding Nina was that the "new trial medication" she offered Olivia is probably just Cortexiphan (or whatever the injections were) in pill form. Was willing to give Nina the benefit of the doubt when she did a good job displaying what seemed like real concern for Olive's migraines. But the second we saw an Observer outside Olivia's apartment......Nina is absolutely not to be trusted!! As well as Peter knew "our/his" Olivia, wouldn't he also be able to tell when this Olivia is lying to him? Did he just let that one go, or did he really not catch that? While I love the multiverse/timeline/general mind fck; I can't begin to explain it to my friends. (Sincerest good luck to those of you who do!)

Tim, I agree that the frozen bomb scene was wicked cool.
I think Peter chose to let it go, because he believes she's not HIS Olivia and he doesn't want to interfere too much in her life. Also, he doesn't want to alienate her by being all "I know you're lying." Which, if I was her, would creep me out, because this Olivia doesn't know him, but he knows her too well.

P.S. I am thoroughly enjoying this season and can't wait to see how it all plays out. I enjoyed this episode just because every now and then I think we need to take a break from the overarching story and this was an okay standalone. There have been worse, and this one was especially cool because of the epic bomb freeze.
Remember when Sam looks at the Newton's Cradle and watches as the balls on the ends bang away even as the middle balls are stable? I think that when Peter built the bridge between universes, the result was making timeline B (or alt. universes C & D) , which are analogous to the balls on the ends, start to decay. Something that had only affected universes A & B (timeline A) now affects other universes/timelines that wouldn't be involved. The point about parallel universes is that a new universe exists for every decision ever made by anyone. It's folly to think there are only two universes that exist only because Peter exists in one and not the other. The world-building illustrates that the departure between universes happened well before Peter was alive (bronze Liberty).
(I think for future reference we'll have to come up for universe/timeline speak similar to that of GMT or PST for timezones - in my case i think it will be Universe - Timeline. For Example, A - A means Universe A - Timeline A, A - B is for Universe A, Timeline B and etc.)

I think Fringe is doing to science what the Matrix did for religion. Peter is like Neo in that he is an anomaly not accounted for by any Universe and/or timeline. The Observers interference in the universes could be some kind of course correction procedure for his presence (see the film - the adjustment bureau) brought on by September.

As for Nina. what is she up to?

I think she is trying to activate/amplify Olivia's freaky, dormant chrotexaphan (spelling right?) abilities or recreate them somehow but i haven't the foggiest why.x
This will be a longer post on "timelines" vs. "universes" from a scientific view. Be warned.

The many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation) assumes that every choice leads to the creation of a different universe. This leads to the conclusion that there are endless universes and every action creates a new one for the observer of that action.

Time is always a constant, what Fringe calls "timelines" are actually different universes which start being different after a specific choice in a specific point in time.

"Timelines" can't be "changed" in that way if you take the meaning literally. If you think of timelines like universes (which you should) then of course it's possible, even unavoidable because every choice leads to a different reality than a choice not being taken.

That being said I don't like how Fringe distinguishes (at least it seems so until now!) between both concepts. If they bring up the explanation that Peter turning on the machine created a new (set of) universes and he entered them for 1 minute before dissappearing which LOOKED to the audience like the timeline did change (when in fact these universes have always existed since their unique "choice" which differs them from another) I will be happy.

Btw... the actual scientific theory also would "explain" where Peter would have been while beeing "lost" in the beginning of the season: If Peter was able to enter the universe-"bridge" after stepping off the machine he didn't "disappear" per se but just entered a different universe. There are a lot of universes not making sense for a human observer (where not even earth or or galaxy has to exist), maybe he was just floating energy in one of these. If you think this sounds New Age think of how Peter came back as a bundle of blue energy a couple episodes ago.

Whatever the writers have in mind, I hope it makes actual scientific sense :D
I believe somewhere, some physicist somewhere postulated non-linear time. I know I sure as hell didn't make it up. I'm not that smart.

Doesn't each "universe" exist in a multi-verse where ever possible outcome, irrespective of time of physics as we know it, exists? That is why I prefer "dimension" because it also encompasses the multiverse theorem as well as the universe. Universe, in this context, usually refers only to a physical construct; as we know there is a whole lot more to "solid" matter than meets that eye!

As to where the show is going and how they are going to work the Peter as 'a man out of time' angle beats me. But it seems to me that an event of this magnitude (a dimensional unconformity?) should be sending ripples or fractures across a lot of universes.
Keep in mind the theory that NO event happens until it's Observed. Suitable name for the Observers then.... which means, are THEY the cause of all the problems? Bouncing around observing everything, thus creating reality?!
But merely observing influences its outcome. (Observer Effect. I did not make that up.)
That was my first thought as well, for Olivia to not eat the soup.
-Fantastic work on that bomb scene especially since we KNOW that "Fringe" doesn't have the biggest budget (see "Game of Thrones" $50 Million for season 2).

-Suspension of disbelief, Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Vancouver looks like Boston enough for me.

-I've always hated Nina a little bit. This is nice, I get to hate her with full justification.

I did like the mentions and all the Observer talk, but it was fairly procedural. Though, as you've said, for as bad as these episodes can get for this season, this is pretty A-Okay with me, though I think the one from like episode 3 with the plant that took over a boy was worse than this one.

As for the Peter idea, I like it. I like the idea that throughout all the universes, Peter's the pivot point. As for the quantum mechanics, as @bostonbeliever mentioned below, there are a number of interpretations. The one that I like best suggests that time itself is an illusion. The popular example is Schroedinger's Cat (see "The Big Bang Theory" 01x17), in which the universe splits into two identical universes but for that differing result. This then produces an infinite number of nearly identical to completely distinct universes as these results differ not only in choices like that but at the very subatomic level.

I like the term "multiverse theory" for this, though it goes by many variations. Given that, this is my explanation. And I still like the concept that somehow Peter is the singularity around which the Observers (who somehow have the power to travel between all universes, which would also account for their ability to see time as they do and disappear from view) try to maintain the world and whatever their final goal is (presumably saving humanity).
I'm not sure if it is to obvious to mention the thematic connection between a girl who can tell that people will die, including herself, and Olivia who is being told by the Observer that her death is inevitable. Like Olivia, Emily had also been subjected to experiments as a kid, though probably not as severe as Olivia.

The latter recognizes herself in Emily and there is also the connection that Emily knows she is going to die and is trying to do good things with the time she has left. That is the point with Olivia not leaving the building and instead performing a good deed before she dies. Granted that sequence was a bit trite, but all in all I think the episode was in line with the "Olivia dealing with being told she has to die"-arc.
Staff
This is indeed true. They did push that whole "knowing you are going to die" thing as it also relates to Olivia. It wasn't done as well as Fringe has done it in the past, but I appreciate them trying to make it relate.
Fringe always hits it out of the park. Even when it's not a particularity great episode for Fringe, it is still amazing television compared to most shows out there. Fringe is the best show on network TV, with amazing acting, special effects, and writing. They deserve one more season to properly finish their story! Fringe, you rock!
i think it was a good idea for an episode though. but the execution, some of the writing, and delivery was really subpar (main character girl and her father...).

the minute Olivia (Universe A, Timeline B; good job on the classifiers, lol) learned that Peter may know something about the cases they are investigating she should have brought the Observer up to him, but she didn't until much later. that didn't fit well.
an other thing I thought about was, how I miss universe A Walter. How different the hypnotizing scene would be with the happy mad Walter.
"Happy mad Walter" would have given Emily gumdrops and/or LSD. I miss him too.
exactly.
I liked the episode. This family on the run from MD, the government. the frozen explosion. Her death with Olivia looking on like an observer (maybe that's her destiny) It wasn't the best and there were things that made me think "this mistake you are doing on purpose". Walking through a metal detector with a bomb vest serious. i'm reasonably forgiving with plausibility errors, but this. they show the metal detector so you think, ah that's why he has a remote detonator. then when that plan fails he's got a bomb vest. So why did he have the bomb truck in the first place
I have zero explosives knowledge. But I saw that scene and assumed he made this vest out of plastic things and passed of the remote detonator as his cell phone. Again, not sure if that is scientifically/technically feasible.
I thought so too - but the copper alone from the wirings would have triggered any metal detector.
Huh. Copper? But TV shows always have plastic explosives? *crosses Hurt Locker off of 'potential careers' list*
Ooh, yeah, I didn't think about that. That's a bit of an oopsy.
Bless you Tim, explaining quantum mechanics to us mere mortals.

I considered doing the same thing a week or two again, but opted not to in favor of a simple and concise statement on how much I love Fringe.

For all who want to learn more about parallel universes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation
I like the Universe A Timeline B categorization. It would be a bitch to explain this storyline to person who hasnt seen the episodes. It is like they started in Universe A timeline A and then they went to Universe B Timeline A and then Universe A timeline C (there was the future episode, you remembah?) and then Universes A and B timeline B.. ? :D I dont even know anymore
- I don't think I've ever seen a disappointing episode of Fringe. The story has been going in overdrive for the last couple of weeks, so it made sense to a certain extent for there to be a stand-alone episode.

- I still think the writers should give us episodes (even full blown procedural ones) that involve more interaction between the universes, like episode 2 of this season, where the people from "over there" and "over here" worked on the same case.

- I actually have another theory that may or may not fit in with what's going on. If I remember correctly, Peter was supposed to be COMPLETELY wiped from existence at the end of season 3. It was an accepted consensus among the Observers that Peter had served his purpose. The only reason I believe Peter materialized again was because September didn't do what he was supposed to i.e. seal the cracks through which Peter kept appearing and disappearing (via Walter's hallucinations and Olivia's dreams). I think the reason why September warned Olivia of her impending death is because Peter's reappearance wasn't supposed to happen, and the cost of it is her unavoidable death.

- I'm a little fuzzy as to why September would throw a monkey wrench into the timeline again by letting Peter return. It's possible David Robert Jones' journey between universes is an anomaly that the Observers didn't predict, and that Peter is the key to stop him. Maybe Jones' future plans involve something catastrophic. And like I mentioned before, Peter's return doesn't come without a price (Olivia's death).

- Another theory that makes sense is that Peter is a confounding factor in the timeline across all possible universes. Maybe September realized that after going through all possible scenarios, and decided that the only way to save Olivia's life is Peter's interference (because it's a factor the Observers cannot predict).

- One point that lends credence to your theory above, Tim is that no one from either of the universes seems to recognize David Robert Jones (except Peter). So where did he come from? Logic tells us he came from the original timeline (original for us), i.e. the same one where Peter grew up to be an adult.

- On a side note, where's alternate Charlie?? Prime Suspect was unceremoniously (and unfairly) canceled. So Kirk Acevedo is free to return. Right??
Staff
Great ideas here, Crazylegs! As for Kirk, you can bet your life he'll be back at some point.
My only problem with the premise of this episode was in the beginning, when Emily stops the man in the street to give him the drawing... If she HADN'T stopped him, he would have lived. Stopping to talk to her only made it possible for him to be in the right place to take the I-beam to the chest. So that brings the whole fate/destiny argument into it. Emily said no matter what she did, everyone in her drawings died. Maybe her trying to stop them made them happen, like one of those self-fulfilling prophecies. That really bugged me throughout the whole episode and kinda ruined any standalone joy I may have gotten from it.
Not necessarily. He could have talked about something equally as engrossing with his companion instead, or something else might have been observed that he would stop and look at if he wasn't looking at the sketch. But I certainly thought the same thing at first.
Staff
The standalone plot was a bit flimsy, I agree.
While in this case it seems that her stopping him did cause him to die, in the other instances she references, it seems like the time span between her vision and the person in question differs each time. When she had the vision of her teacher, it was three days later that the teacher died, when she saw the pet store owner, it was minutes. So you can argue that if she hadn't stopped him he might have lived, but there was no way for her to know that. She was just trying her best to help him.
That is true... With every other death she predicted, she only saw the effect, not the cause. But still, it bugged me, because she played a direct role in his death. Her dad made a comment about what happened when they tried to warn people, which makes me wonder about all the other deaths she may or may not have played a part in.
But Walter explained that the girl senses "waves" from events which happened in the future. If she senses waves travelling backwards in time and prevents them she wouldn't have sensed them in the first place - she would have created a new timeline/alternative universe.
It's like Oedipus all over again (minus the mama sex).
I think you mean Cassandra. The fortune teller no one listened to.
No, I mean the tried-tried-to-avoid-fate-and-ended-up-causing-it part.
the girl did a fantastic job in the episode, imo. Not much going on story wise but I think it was a very good stand alone episode.
You're theory is close to what I was thinking courtesy of Stephen King and Peter Straub. In the Talisman/Black House books co-authored by those 2, Jack is the only one of himself in all the different universes. Whereas all the other characters have Twinners in the different universes.
Staff
Sounds very similar. It makes sense to me!
What if Nina is conducting experiment on Olivia in this universe?