Fringe: Incredibly Bizarre Love Triangle

Fringe S04E13: "A Better Human Being"

(Musical accompaniment today is New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle." "Why can't we be ourselves like we were yesterday?" Because yesterday you didn't exist! Or did you?)

IS IT HER?

In telling a story about alternate universes, secondary timelines, and parallel dimensions, is there any better way to put it into layman's terms than put an awkward love story in the middle of it? And awkward fully describes last night's episode of Fringe, "A Better Human Being," another positive step for Fox's underdog sci-fi show that, despite a few bumps along the way, continues to prove itself to be one of the most compelling series of its genre.

"A Better Human Being" continued Fringe's mythalone tradition, with the concept of multiple personalities taking center stage for the second week in a row. In the case-of-the-week, a young man heard the voices of killers committing a murder elsewhere. Following up on Olivia's smooch heard 'round the universes from last week, memories of Universe A Timeline A Olivia continued to flood into this season's Olivia, and ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a Total Mind-F*** of the Heart for Mr. Peter Bishop and Olivia.

Let's get the case out of the way first, since it was clearly the weaker portion of the episode. The general idea was an anonymous sperm donor was responsible for a lot of kids by way of in vitro fertilization, meaning his seed was all over the place. Those kids had a genetic spur, an anomaly that tapped into all sorts of abilities human beings thought were long unnecessary, such as telepathy and various forms of long-distance non-verbal communication. They were the Borg, essentially, a hivemind of some guy's kids that just so happened to carry the instinct to protect each other at all costs.

That instinct drove them to kill anyone who threatened to expose their secret, killing a few journalists poking around the work of the doctor who performed all the non-traditional baby-making. But the loosest end was the doctor himself, who came clean to Team Fringe that not only did he genetically alter the kids to include the genetic spurs in order to create superior human beings, but in mixing the cocktail that made them he–gross–provided the juice himself.

Fringe usually does a good job at giving viewers the perspective of the bad guy, but not so much last night. Had we gotten the point-of-view of one of the hivemind killers rather than the schizophrenic patient (Sean) who was so detached from them, the story might have resonated better. Not that Sean's story wasn't interesting, but he always seemed to be tapping into their communication rather than being part of it, giving us little in the way of understanding the real motives of the killers other than the simple "they want to protect their secret." And by the way, Harrison Thomas, who played Schizo Sean deserves a shout-out here, he was fantastic. A quick Google search shows that he would have been in Fox's Locke & Key pilot. Too bad.

Now to the good stuff. Poor Peter! How confused must he be? Imagine being dropped into a facsimile of your home where no one knows you, seeing a carbon copy of the girl of your dreams who says things like "You're a stranger, what would I feel?" but later begins to act, think, and remember like your original girlfriend. That not only must play unfair games on your mind, but also your heart. Peter, this Olivia, and that Olivia? That's one heck of a bizarre love triangle.

Peter wants so badly to be back with Olivia, HIS Olivia. But is this Olivia, who looks, acts, and thinks like his Olivia, actually HIS Olivia? Is it her? Even if it isn't, can you love someone the same way if they're essentially identical to your loved one but you know deep down that they aren't? Philosophical conundrum! Do we love the person we love because they are that person (O.G. Olivia), or do we love the various pieces that make up that person (this new Olivia)? People say the soul is the core of our selves, and in essence, the soul of Peter's Olivia has transferred into this Olivia. But is that enough? Is it much different from the final scene of "Marionette"? (I strongly encourage you to watch this.)

The whole scenario gave me such an uncomfortable feeling because I'm still thinking that this isn't Peter's home and this Olivia isn't our Olivia. I touched on this last week and Peter mentioned it in this episode, but Peter already went through this with Fauxlivia and is naturally apprehensive. The difference this time is there's no deception, which makes it so much more brutal and real. I understand Olivia's longing looks throughout the episode, because she believes she is Peter's Olivia. And I understand Peter giving in at the end, because it's just too much (and too real) to resist. But man oh man was I shouting "Don't do it Peter! She's not yours!" every time he returned her goo-goo eyes. I still think the other timeline exists concurrently, at least theoretically, and somewhere out there the universe we grew to know is existing without Peter, whether it's literally physical or just in some form of quantum entanglement. It's Schrödinger's cat, but instead of just a kitty in a cardboard box that is simultaneously alive and dead, it's an entire universe (and possibly more if September's words of "all possible futures" are true) that simultaneously exists and doesn't exist. There's only one Peter that made it to adulthood in all the possibilities the universes have gone through, and he's important to the existence of the whole frickin' Uber-Universe. He doesn't belong here, but you can't blame this timeline for wanting him to stick around. He's dope and makes everything around him better.

And then BAM we get one brain-smasher of an ending when Olivia comes to in a dark room tied to a chair. And opposite from her is Nina, also tied to a chair and telling her, "We're going to be okay." We suspected the Nina we were watching was a shapeshifter after her quick chat with David Robert Jones, and this all but confirms that she's been body-snatched.

Here's a wacky loose theory that builds on what I've talked about in the past. The war in Fringe is a battle of timelines. Fact: David Robert Jones, under direction from some unknown really bad guy, is infiltrating this timeline with shapeshifters. But why? Stay with me on this one. In an ultimate struggle for control over existence or some other incredibly important power, the shapeshifters need this timeline to "win." And winning depends on Peter's presence because of his unique ability to control the machine (or something else?). There's only one adult Peter, and the shapeshifters need him to remain here so that he can operate the machine (or something else) in this timeline because this timeline is the one that's advantageous for whoever is the shapeshifters' boss. The Observers are something like the guardians of the Uber-Universes, a collection of all existence (think of the parallel universes as the fourth dimension and the parallel timelines as a fifth dimension). Rather than let Peter exist in his original timeline and risk the shapeshifter peeps getting a hold of him, they tried to erase him. But oops, that didn't work either through September's mistake or the shapeshifters finding a way to bring him back. Shapeshifter Nina has been injecting Cortexiphan into Olivia, which has allowed the consciousness, memories, and more of the original Olivia to slip into this Olivia's head, essentially reproducing Olivia across timelines. Why? Because the best way to get Peter to stay in this timeline, and therefore fulfill a destiny here, is to make him fall in love with this Olivia. The shapeshifters want Peter to feel right at home in this universe. There's also the possiblity that both Peter and Olivia are required to fulfill whatever destiny they're meant to, but because Peter is unique, it's all about having possession of Peter in this war of timelines. Moving forward through the rest of the season, the new struggle for Peter will be to NOT fall in love with this Olivia and continue his search for a way home and back to his timeline and his Olivia. In other words, I have no idea what's going on. I'm just riffin' here, people. I don't know what the ultimate goal is, whether the shapeshifters want to use the machine to erase other timelines or destroy everything completely, or if they're just after the Observers. I'm just guessing with the details we've been given and I'm probably wrong. Also, theoretical science and quantum mechanics make my brain cry so don't think I'm some authority on anything.

If you find any glaring holes in my theory, let me know so I can get off that train and start laying tracks for a new theory! Or is it better if we don't theorize at all and just enjoy the ride? One thing's for sure: Fringe is promising some big answers about The Observers next week, so we'll what holds and what doesn't.

Notes from the litter box of Schrödinger's Cat:
– Loved loved loved Walter's chat with the man orbiting Venus. "Oh! That's a lovely planet."

– How great was it to see clips from the Pilot episode rush back into Olivia's head? Makes me want to rewatch the series from the start. Has anyone done this yet? Has it helped you understand things better?

– Astrid, do you make house calls? Because you are so good at making people feel better and I have a feeling Tuesday is going to be pretty rough for me coming off a three-day weekend. Call me!

Pop Quiz!
– What do you think Lincoln and Walter will do with THAT Nina?

– Before we get to next week's episode, here's your chance to explain what you think the Observers are.

– Do you think this Olivia is now THAT Olivia? Should Peter love this Olivia now? Are you happy about it?

– More fantastic work in the acting department all around from Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson, John Noble, and everyone else, but especially Torv.

And just in case you weren't excited enough about next Friday, wrap this puppy around your brain:

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I have to say, I want Peter with our Timeline Olivia. Although I really like this Timeline's version of everyone, it feels like I'm not at peace unless we return home to the original Timeline.
Fringe is my all time favourite TV Series.

The story telling is phenomenal.

The acting is second to none.

Fringe blows me away every episode.
It better be her. Because if it isn't, I honestly can't see how that could anything other than absolutely destroy Peter and his relationship with the real Olivia. They wouldn't do that to him - and us - would they? Honestly, and I'm not the type of person who usually says this, but if they did take that path, I don't think I could watch this show any more. It would be too much of a betrayal.
I missed a couiple of eps a couple of season ago and the show hasn't been the same for me since. I faithfully watch every week but I must admit I get lost a lot. I admit, I'd be happy to see Pater and HIS Olivia get together for good. I think they could becom quite the crime-fighting team (with help from Waler).
Great promo. Looking forward to it. Clever of Fox / producers to offer answers as perhaps this is what the majority want.

This takes its place, on my list, as one of the best shows ever. Even more so if considering sci-fi only.

Well done Tim for highlighting the great acting performances of Anna, Josh and John. It's hard to believe John Noble is a regular guy with an Australian accent - great acting. Similar goes for Anna Torv, especially mixing the tough / gentle sides of her character. And I think the way Joshua Jackson carries the 'intelligent but tough' / 'in love but distant' is really well done.
i liked your reviews tim and i liked your theory on this one fringe season direction but imo you overcomplicating things overthinking it (know you excited and all and want show be brilliant and complex) but i think it's just obvious and simple concerning peter in his or not universe. he is in his universe it was obvious from first ep of this season.

he said in 7 or 8 ep i don't recall that this universe is his home and they (olivia and walter) may be echoing other universes something like that

and now olivia and walter starting to remember him that's all. i think that other things/plots

will complicate further episodes. coz there is no home for peter ! if he was erased from bluverse than bluverse dissappeared as well and all his friends or just rewritten without Peter.

that's all. why complicate things so much?
Hi Tim,

I don't know if someone has pointed this out yet (I didn't read all the comments) but it seems to the me that in your theory you assume that "people" drugging Olivia knew what would be the effect, which we have no evidence of so far...

Keep up the great work here on Fringe.

Cheers,
Don't care what dimension they are in as long as Peter and Olivia hook up. lol I wish poor Walter could get a girlfriend. That isn't a hallucination.
uh....it's obvious that this is Peter's universe, and his Olivia. It's been obvious from the beginning, and confirmed when they discussed the observers attempts to erase him.

Some people just like to over think things. They spelled it out for us.
thanks! I think so too, good to see I'm not the only one (I was maybe beginning to think that perhaps I was a bit dumb for this series...)

I think things are simply "coming back" to Olivia... like the dreams she had at the beginning of the season
wow, that promo is actually mind-blowing! once again peter chooses to go into the mind of another person (lysergic acid diethylamide being one of my all time favourite episodes), and i for one cannot wait to see what we'll find in there!

tim, i really like your theory, that would be such a cool direction for the plot to move in! one small hole in your theory though, peter is not uniquely capable of operating the machine. up until this season we have been led to believe this, but now we know that walter specifically tuned the bio-mechanical interface to respond to peter, so who's to say that he couldn't tune the machine to respond to someone else? could olivia possibly be taking the doomsday device for a spin at some point? who knows.
Had minor surgery so had to spend 4 days in bed so I decided what better to spend my time than to have a "Fringe Binge"! Boy did I learn a lot. This series is so detailed that you have to go backwards to move forewords. The more I saw, the more made sense. They have been dosing us with tiny, minor details all along. Every episode seemed better than the last time I had seen it. It was a great way to recuperate but now I have to worry about it ending.
Fringe need to do a MOVIE!!!!!!!!
Yes, me too! What a great, involving storyling. I actually think the Fringe team made a good decision this week not to get too involved in the bad guys. As it was, there was more than enough for one episode.

So much credit needs to go to the writers, casting and actors for such amazing characters.

Can't wait for Friday's ep either!
love the episode!! This season is getting better and better... Can't wait till next week!!
I'm currently re-watching the series from the start, with my son who didn't have a chance when it originally aired. We're up to the middle of season 3 and I have to say I'm enjoying it thoroughly. But no, it doesn't help me one bit in understanding the current plot!

Cannot wait for my son to reach season 4!!!
I'd like to hear Peter's phone call to Broyles ... I lost Olivia at the gas station send backup!
Tim my head hurts from your theorizing.

Question: If the Nina in Universe 3? is a shapeshifter shouldn't the other Nina be dead? That's how it works right. Also, why would the bad Nina (shapeshifter) be giving Mr Jones instructions like she's the boss? I wonder if she (bad) Nina came from fauxOlivia's universe and is impersonating the "good" one??

Confused but lovin this season.

Next episode looks totally awesome. Can't wait.
Great ep - great show - give it a season 5 already! :)
this promo gives me shivers. cant wait to see if they do another "movie" type trailer for the SEASON finale ;)

"This film has been approved in both universes for all audiences"
The promo for next week was mind blowing!!!!! How am I supposed to wait for friday?!?!?
I believe that since the beginning there's been only two universes A and B and one timeline (the same for both universes). Since Peter was erased, although not completely, the characters with whom he interacted had their stories written in a different way, a way where there is no Peter, wich also led to some changes between those characters when interacting amongst themselves. This season we've seen the existence of Peter slowly poping up again in the minds of the people closest to him, such as Walter and Olivia. So, this images Olivia is seeing represent not the memories of some other Olivia (in a diferent timeline) but her own memories in a world where peter existed. This should be happening not only in universe A, but also universe B, granted that the time Peter spends with the folks in the Blue universe speeds up the process. That being said, it excludes most of your theories Tim, concerning the importance of this Timeline for the likes of Robert David Jones. Here, i repeat the belief that there's always been one timeline. That's just my theory and it provides no answer to RDJ's agenda, wich i'm clueless about yet ubber excited to find out in the following episodes, hopefully.
Is it Friday yet?
I think you're basically right on. In classic JJ Abrams style, this will work out to a battle of Good vs. Evil, where the Observers represent good and Robert David Jones evil. Most of the Observers seem to think they're only there to catalog creation as it happens, literally to observe it. But one Observer decides to act on this knowledge and save Peter, knowing that if he doesn't, Evil will collapse creation entirely.

Somehow the machine, built eons ago (perhaps by other Observers or ancient peoples who were clued in), can keep everything in working order, and somehow, Peter is the only person who can make it go. Essentially, Peter becomes an agent for existence, and Jones is "drafted" as an agent for total destruction in response to Peter's being alive, which he originally wasn't supposed to be.
Just a quick thought. Did Peter Reappear in this universe to built the machine with Walter to erase himself in the past? From season 3 pov the machine was built in the future by Walter and send back to the past. Walter had no reason to built the machine as Peter didn't exist. So Peter needed to get back to this universe to give Walter a reason to built the machine even though it won't get Peter back to his universe. (more likely erase Peter again)
I think the afformenctioned theory makes a lot of sense... though I'm not sure it's right.

First, at the beggining of the season we were told that "some pieces remain" of Peter (in this timeline), hence he has a special connection with it. Does this mean this is HIS timeline? Don't know, but, throughout the last episodes we've also experienced a change in Walter. He is relating to Peter (following alternate Astrid's advice...) in a much more "father-son" way (or more accurate, in a normal-to-us way...). He even had a moment, just before the first kiss Olivia gave Peter (two episodes ago), in which he also appeared confused as to their relationship.

So... I seriously don't know what's going on... but my theory is that Peter is in his timeline, yet, as Observers made clear, he was indeed deleted. That's the reason why Peter appeared here, that's why Olivia and Walter dreamt or saw him at the very beggining, and the fact Olivia is "high on Cortexiphan" just allowes her to go deeper and faster in recovering the memories of life with Peter.

The only thing that still dazzles me is what's going to happen with "Bolivia" (alternate Olivia, red hair, sexy one...). For us viewers, Universes had a major "thing" going when she became pregnant... with Peter's offspring. And, hear me well, that was a GIGANTIC bomb which never actually explode. So... what's going to happen later? I seriously don't know, but I guess (and wish) that fantastic piece of twistt will come back to haunt all of the Universes.

And one final thing... I like Fringe a lot, I've followed it from the start. And, seriously, I HOPE WITH ALL MY HEART this season isn't just a "side story". I mean, I wish that what happens now has a connection to the following seasons, and isn't just a side quest for Peter, eventually returning to "his timeline" where nobody knows what has happened, and hence, nobody caring for it. That would be a major turn off, but hey, seriously doubt is going to go that way since the series has always been... GREAT.
That preview was the hugest thing I've seen on my life ! I can't wait next week !

But let's go back to tha matter at hand : this week, where I was very moved by Peter and Olivia's scenes. So heartbreaking.

I always doubted to the theory about the old timeline being somewhere. Imo, Olivia is just getting back her own real memory because Peter is bringing them back, just like he brought himself back whereas the observers tried to erase him. However, that whole cortexiphan and fake-Nina tends to indicate that there is more than just fate behind it all. Your theory Tim, although very well thought, is a bit off imo because of one thing : it would mean that someone (other than the Observers) is aware of the different timelines (if they do co-exist). I don't believe that because nothing seems to indicate that someone else than Peter knew both of them (remember how RDJ was shocked when Peter talked to him) and, again, I don't think there are several timelines... just the same dimension where everything have been rewritten (like "the road not taken").
First of all fringe is getting awesome again and thats pretty...well awesome

As for my theory: We saw in the episode in the village that merged with the other universe's village and everyone went insane that the people who didn't have their counterparts at that place in the other universe were unaffected. And as we all know Peter has nothing even close to a counterpart; he's one of a kind. We also know that the new shapeshifters are infiltrating both worlds, which means their plans also involve both, so I'm liking the scenario of them trying to force some collision of universes (god knows why exactly) with Peter at the center of it. And I'm also thinking that Olivia has been given the compraxiphan or whatever so that she can in essence "summon" Peter back into the reality he was erased from due to her powers and their deep connection. And I fear that is why she must die, because it will be she who keeps Peter there who will once again be in the center of everything.

As to why all this is happening I'm guessing evil backstabbing observer who has skewed the math and now wants us all to do what he predicts.
P.S. This IS Peter's universe. He just thinks it isn't because unlike us he hasn't overheard the observers discussing about erasing him.
LeahLefler, you are aware that Olivia WASN'T replaced right? There is no new timeline, Olivia's memory of Peter was just wiped. There is no "new" Olivia.
I'm not sure if I read it here, in a past review, on some other site, or if it was an original thought of my own, but the one thing that I hope doesn't happen, is this is all explained as Peter never left his timeline at all, but rather just disappeared for a bit and came back in with everything changed. So now having him here is slowly changing it back to the way it was when he did exist. That would annoy me and what I would rather see is an explanation of both timelines are bleeding into one single timeline. I thought they hinted at this with the town that was crossing over into itself and I think the next step could be timelines crossing over and mixing. Obviously insanity would ensue.
OMG! This was an incredible episode! Talking about messing with your head! Next week looks so friggin' awesome. Can't wait!
I've just finished watching the episode and my head is still spinning!!!

Great episode! Head full of questions + plus yours Tim! Will have to think about them till next Thursday!

In the mean time! I have a question myself. A friend of mine (who might become just an acquaintance if he keeps pestering me...) says that the numbers are not good for Fringe, that I should start thinking about petitions and stuff... He made a joke about shaving my head, taking a pic and sending it to TV executives...

Which just started me thinking about what we would send if ever there is a need...

- 6 fingered blue hand prints?

- cow pictures resembling Gene (sending the real cows would be a bit cumbersome)?

- split apples?

- your favourite candy?

- awesome vinyl records from the 70's?

- LSD (or the drug of your choice)?

- vials or cortexifan (is that how you spell it?)

What?
BTW: that teaser is sheer cruelty, no?
so what about Peter and Fauxlivia's baby???
I think Peter should back off. This Olivia is losing her identity which is exactly what happened to his Olivia when the bad guys switched her with Fauxlivia way back when.

He should therefore understand what a huge violation of her mind that is and put aside his personal desires (however strong) to be with his love again. The way he was looking at her when she was giving him the "I love you" eyes was heart-breaking and everyone including Astrid and Sean was acted brilliantly. This is one of my favorite episodes of Fringe ever.

One thing is bugging me, though. If Nina was replaced, why is the original still alive? Does that mean other originals are as well? Why would the culprit(s) do that?
It's always good to keep the original.
If Nina has been replaced by a shape shifter and Olivia has been nabbed to do the same, why kidnap Olivia with a witness (Peter)? Kind of blows the whole covert infiltration thing, doesn't it?
Tim, I think you have the object of DRJ's actions reversed; Peter is most certainly cast as the savior (of the world, of Olivia & Walter) but Olivia is the key to whatever conspiracy and machinations are in play for dominating the universes and winning the shapeshifter war.

Olivia was being drugged with cortexiphan before Peter was pulled back from the ether. DRJ and his operation must believe that Olivia's powers will be of value to their mission, can be exploited and that they would be triggered/enhanced by dosing her with cortexiphan. I think this is why September came to Olivia and told her that in all possible futures she must die; she is at the center of this plot and the war, as a result she is in grave danger.

"Our Olivia" (Blue Universe) could travel between universes as an adult without the introduction of cortexiphan into her system. In "A Better Human Being" she tells Peter she remembers her captivity on the other side in and her ability to move between the universes in order to return to him, as in the Blue Universe. (Though she seems not to remember so clearly how hurt and betrayed she felt when she found out about Peter and Fauxlivia whilst she is battling Peter's reticence and trying to convince him that she is his Olivia.) However, her latent abilities are not developed or controlled: in the past they appeared to be stress induced, and she only moved between universes successfully to return to Peter's side, which is most likely why she is being drugged in the present.

Olivia is at the center of DRJ's plot, and Peter is the one force in the universe that without effort exerts a positive, grounding, gravitational effect on Olivia. These two may be star-crossed but they are inextricably bound to each other, and the power of their love is evidently greater than all known laws of physics, time, and meddlesome doppelgangers or Observers.

I believe Peter is in his correct universe, in his correct timeline; he was removed from time at Reiden Lake as if September had not intervened in the Blue Universe and saved him and Walter (in the same incident that damaged Nina's hands, causing her to always wear the black glove). September, due to some attachment/investment he has in Peter and the influence and impact Peter is destined to have upon the universe(s) by nature of his very existence, could no more allow him to cease to exist after Peter used the machine than he could when he saved Peter and Walter at Reiden Lake, regardless of the orders of the other Observers.

If Peter is yet an anomaly in time then it is possible that his affect on those possible futures cannot be determined by the Observers, and that September is a rogue who believes that Peter is and has always been the key to "saving the world" without being able to prove to himself or the other Observers that this is what Peter will do. (Which begs the question then how did September know how important Peter was to the future when he intervened at Reiden Lake in the Blue Universe?)

I believe this is why September is being pursued by the other Observers and has been shot, though I believe that there is a conspiracy within the Observers which was hinted at in "Making Angels" and those behind that plot have a vested interest in seeing September's interference stopped and Peter eliminated from time (perhaps even a direct connection to DRJ).

Somehow I will have to deal with MY inability to bend the laws of time and find the patience to make it to Friday to see what will be revealed.

I should say, I do love your theory that it may be a war of timelines, but not at all with jones and the shapeshifters hunting for peter.
I take back all of my unhappiness during the first half of the season feeling as if there was no connection between me, the view and the "new" characters." It is now COMPLETELY paying off!!!! So excited for next week. But I never theorize on this show because it makes my brain hurt too much.
"Moving forward through the rest of the season, the new struggle for Peter will be to NOT fall in love with this Olivia and continue his search for a way home and back to his timeline and his Olivia."

There is no way back. Once Peter was removed both Blueverse and Redverse ceased to exist as we knew them. If he did manage to find his way back to Blueverse it would be no different than when he arrived here, in Amberverse. They wouldn't know him, and he wouldn't recognise much of that timeline. But my feeling is that this is a mobius strip, and he is already in NuBlueverse, and this is his Olivia, or as close to the one he knew and the life he had as he will ever be able to get. Walter's changing too, reverting to the same one he knew, as if the Red/Blueverses are actually reconstituting themselves. Or at least as close to themselves as possible considering some people are dead that were alive in the Oldverses and vice-um...versa :)

I think the struggle will be for Peter to accept that this is his universe now. My question is what's happened to that future in which he and Olivia had some years together before she died. Because obviously she dies in every future (we all do), but when? The assumption is that September is talking about soon, but then didn't he cause that to happen when they extracted Peter from the Oldverses? So either his reappearance makes this Realverse and Olivia lives (but the Observers can't see that because Peter reappearing was obviously not a timeline they could see), or his reappearance is the cause of her death (because it wasn't supposed to happen) and can't be undone now.

Eek. Timey-wimey migraine coming on...
I was thinking... (I haven't read through all the comments here so it might have been said already), but I think that Peter kind of sits outside of time, and like you say; there is only one of him. But I also think that this Peter doesn't exist in any other time either, as in, in the future.

So when the Observer said that he's seen all the futures, and that Olivia dies in all of them, is he just not seeing the one with Peter in because it hasn't happened yet? There is no future with Peter in it (yet), so the Observers can't see what might happen with a Peter there. Hence Olivia might be able to live if Peter is around at the point she's supposed to die.

Phew, get me?
My brain is completely wrinkled after reading your theory which I have to say is really plausible.
so as ludo mentioned the discussion of Sam Weiss with Nina Sharp and its on peter to choose which Olivia there would be

1- he chooses season 4th Olivia in which case the universe remains that shapeshifters already have all the influential positions on both side (with the assumption that Nina Sharp is a shapeshifter)

2- he resists the TEMPTATIONS of the mortal body :) and goes back and kick ass on the original ( season 1) universe.

3- something completely different

?????????

FRIDAAAAAAY
The ol' switcheroo: David Robert Jones not Robert David Jones.

Besides that like alkways a great review. Can't wait for next Friday!
Isn't this fun....
2 universes: Blue (ours) and Red (alternate).

Blue was where the only surviving Peter grew up and therefore where he had the greatest influence. The only major ways he affected Red (that I am able to remember) were in Fauxlivia's baby and in Broyles' death, but now those events just never happened. Thus, he most affected Blue, and now that he has been dislodged from existence, Blue is hardly the same universe it once was, converting it into the "Amber universe." Amber is still our universe, just without Peter and his influences.

And ooh boy, the look Lincoln gave Nina at the end of this episode was awesomely unforgettable. He knows she's an infiltrator, a shapeshifter. He's gonna kick some ass now.

So hope this helps some of the people confused out there. That's how I see all that has recently happened. As for what WILL happen, I too learned long ago that it is far better to just sit back and enjoy the ride. I trust the writers and I know they have special things in store for us. However, if I had to comment on what is in Frige's future, I like what renaldsRAP has to say. Take what you like from what he has to say. I recommend reading his comment.

Last but not least, for any more confusion you might have on anything else (ie 3rd universes, multi-timelines, looking at the show as you would 4th and 5th dimensions, etc.) I'd like to remind you of Occam's Razor / parsimony / the simplest explanation is often the answer. While we do indeed watch Fringe, and they do love to blow our minds, even these guys know that to blow things much wider could easily spell disaster for them. But we'll see, because they are, after all, the best out there at pushing the envelope.

Like I said, I'm just going to enjoy the ride. We're in good hands people. Season 4 is signed for 22 episodes, leaving us with 9 more episodes of pure awesomeness.

P.S. Welcome to Westfield was an amazing episode. Also, can someone please explain why there are no more Charlies? Can't remember, no initiative to find out. Help me out here.
I didn't really care for the case this week. The main plot was the bes part, even if it was in the last fifteen minutes or so. I'm firm on my belief that this is our Olivia, in our universe, and that Nina walking around is a shapeshifter replacement for the real one.

Next week looks incredible too.
I was convinced this was the same universe as S1-S3 only in a modified timeline due to Peter's playing with the machine... until this episode... Olivia's recovering of her old memories just felt a little too easy...

So I am half-sold on Tim's theory... It made me think of Sam Weiss and his counsel to Nina that the survival of a universe depended on which Olivia Peter chose... This seems to confirm Tim's arguments about some plot to bring Peter into this alternative universe/timeline...

I am confused... but loving Fringe, even this 4th season that is not proving that popular...
Sweet Zombie Jesus Friday CANNOT get here fast enough! That promo is absolutely the most insane thing I have ever seen!

So I guess it's time to start putting a theory together before friday's episode completely destroys any I might have huh?

Okay:

1) I am almost completely convinced that we are in the OG universe from s1 - s3 with the only difference being Peter erased from existence that has created the "Amberverse". The longer he's here the more his presence creates a ripple effect that is slowly course correcting the universe in an attempt to fix the timeline. Everyone is slowly becoming more like their old selves, but it's happening far quicker with Olivia because of the cortexiphan experiments. It seems to me, just based upon the show's own continuity, that cortexiphan allows Olivia to do whatever may be needed of her in whatever situation - not necessarily limited to telekinesis. For whatever reason, I believe it is subconsciously imperative that she remember everything from her old life as quickly as possible. Not sure to what ends, but it's the only thing that really makes sense to me right now.

2) The Observers. Now that's pretty tricky. Apparently, according to continuity, only an observer can kill an observer. This leads me to believe that September was shot by his own people. I have no idea WHO they actually are or what their origin is (Aliens? Humans trapped outside the normal ebb and flow of causality, a la Peter? Time incarnate?) but I believe I know what their purpose is. It is my theory that The Observers are watching what will end up being the end of the Universe(s). The end of all normal existence. They have been forced to interact only when adverse circumstances brought about some other conclusion. I believe September is trying to stop the end of existence (and secretly has been since the show's inception without giving his plans away to the other Observers.) I posit that he purposefully revealed himself to Walternate, knowing that this would cause OUR Walter to cross over and save Peter. Peter and Olivia were never meant to cross paths, but because September saved Peter in Reiden Lake, they did anyway. Peter and Olivia are the keys to saving the Multiverse. The other observers spent all of s1-s3 trying to undo what September has done. For that to happen, they needed the machine. September tricked his fellow Observers into believeing his intentions are the same as theirs, but he secretly saved Peter from being totally erased from existence in order to course correct the Multiverse and save it. Now with Peter back, the Observers are aware of September's betrayal and they will have to step in and try to undo everything September has put into motion by eliminating September from the equation. Since the observers exist outside of time, I believe that September's death would mean everything he has done would therefor never have happened. So if September dies then so does his plan to save the Multiverse. Hence, the nest episode's title "The End Of All Things"

I'm sure there's holes in my theory and I haven't quite figured out how the Fringe team could possibly hope to negate the end of existence if/when September dies, but it's food for thought and would make this season be far more important than anyone has thus far realized. One thing is certain tho - "The End Of All Things" is gonna go down as the biggest mindf**k in the show's history! PLEASE GIVE US A SEASON FIVE FOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I got to say is the finale better be 2 hours long....they got a lot of explaining to do. I so wanna know what Peter sees in the mind of the observer! Wow the reveal to end all reveals!!
Add a comment...i Agree with Anh49k, the reason why things are the way they are is because Peter was never there to change things, so people who died didn't, and projects that Walter mite have never started he did, in this timeline Walter could have done 100 experiments and in the reality were peter survived he mite have done 60 cuz peter existence held his sanity in check a bit more, come on people "back to the future" Anyone, you change on thing in the past and everything in the present is different, i think because of the cortexsafan Olivia is starting to recover the remaining energy trail of that existence, same energy that peter was caught in. And its not a shapeshifting Olivia, i have a feeling it will be now that real one is caught, and because the shapeshifters don't know that olivia recovered her alternate life, peter is going to notice it and save the day, but not before cheating on Olivia with another Olivia...lol
Load More Comments