Fringe: Love Stinks

Fringe S04E15: "A Short Story About Love"

Apologies for my tardiness; though Fox has been pretty good about pre-screening Fringe episodes to the press this season, Fox did not send out advance copies of last week's episode. And to top it off, my weekend was spent building a giant used-Kleenex monster with the help of my friend Mr. Flu. But I'm 10 percent better today, thanks for asking.

There are such things as happy endings that aren't necessarily satisfying endings, and that's what I got from Friday's episode of Fringe. "A Short Story About Love" examined the L-word (not THAT L-word) on multiple planes, and proved that love does indeed conquer all. Even scientific reasoning.

Fringe is a science-based show that requires its viewers to take more leaps of faith than a blind kangaroo, and the pay-offs are almost always worth it. But a lot of those leaps have to do with the science-y gobbledygook that attracted us to the show in the first place; Fringe has also succeeded in being emotionally powerful on a character level, and maybe it's because I trend geek, but when the show asks us to take those jumps based on feelings, I'm a little more hesitant to spring forward.

Last week month, Peter mind-melded with September, who said (and I'm paraphrasing), "I'm a super scientist from the fuuuuture! One of several possible fuuutures because universes split and there are all kinds of outcomes and it's really complicated, but trust me, I'm scientist! I've seen the Big Bang! I've witnessed Benjamin Franklin harness electricity! I've seen all kinds of crazy science things! Science rules!" And Friday's "A Short Story About Love," September said, "I have no scientific explanation. People love you so much that I can't erase you no matter how hard I scrub." Perhaps instead of being a scientist from the future, September should have been the author of those "Love Is..." comics from the future.

I accept that Peter was in his timeline all along and that this Olivia is HIS Olivia so-to-speak, because theoretically speaking it's just memories and experiences that differentiate this world from the world we knew. I can't stress how fully on-board I am with Peter and Olivia (the correct Olivia, be it this one or some other one in the ether) building a white picket fence together, and seeing Peter and Olivia do that spin-and-hug-and-kiss thing at the end of the episode warmed my icy interior. But am I wrong to have hoped for a little more of a scientific explanation? That's always been Fringe's double-edged sword—integrating the emotional with the scientific—and to the show's credit, it's done a wonderful job most of the time. However, the ending lacked a bit of the impact (and sexy time) that Olivia walking Peter upstairs did last season. As great as it was to see, it just sort of happened because a bald stranger gave Peter his blessing (as opposed to Peter and Olivia actually doing anything to achieve it).

I think there's more to this story than we know right now, because things are never this simple on Fringe and there are still seven episodes left in the season. Whether the September who told Peter that he's already home turns out to be a clichéd hologram or Lincoln and his longing love-glares come between Peter and Olivia, it'd be foolish to assume that it's smooth sailing for Peter and Olivia from here on out.

Meanwhile in the case-of-the-week, a killer in bad need of some moisturizer was stalking couples, killing off the dudes, turning them into jerky and extracting the dudes' essences, using the essences as pheromones (pheromones again? Already?) to make moves on the widows, and then killing the ladies when they didn't fall in love with him. Pretty gross stuff. There wasn't a ton of meat to this story and we never learned much about the killer himself. What happened to his face? What happened to his wife? What's his background and how did he learn to do what he does? And you know what they say about pet owners looking like their pets? Of course he had a pug.

I'm also having some difficulty tying his story into the Olivia-Peter story, as Fringe normally does so well. Was it supposed to parallel the idea that Peter is somehow subconsciously "willing" Olivia to like him and give us a hint that, like Mr. Pheromone, his attempt is doomed? Or was it just a love-themed case the writers shoehorned into what was really the selling point of the episode: Peter and Olivia's future?

Though it featured a huge development in the season's biggest story, "A Short Story About Love" was slightly lower in quality than previous episodes. But I get the feeling Peter and Olivia reuniting was a small victory en route to more obstacles.

Notes from the Other Side

– Do you buy Olivia's choice to not try to regain her old memories based on the idea that "It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all?" How emo is that?

– Can we talk about Lincoln? Poor guy has the hots for Olivia (who can blame him?) and has to stand to the side while this huge love story between her and Peter is written right in front of his face. We haven't seen a clear-cut confession that Lincoln writes "Mr. Lincoln Dunham" in his notebook with hearts around it, but it's painfully obvious. We need to find this guy another chick. Astrid!

– Bad News, friends. Fringe hit a low in the ratings on Friday. Not just a season low, a series low. As in it's never ever done worse. Only 2.9 million people watched, which was good for a 0.9 rating in the adult demo. The episode was up against the NCAA basketball tournament, and its long break and lack of reminders that it was returning this week didn't help. Rally the troops next week, kids! We're fighting for a fifth and final season!

– I think we need Walter to get back into the main part of the story. Right now he's practically a background character.

– Pugs: cute or not cute? (The only acceptable answer is cute, by the way.)

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

How many times have you heard the writers, producers, the cast and anyone involved in Fringe say to TRUST FRINGE? EVen if you are not 100% satisfied or didn't get all your answers, you will. Have faith and trust in the brilliant team behind the best show on TV.

I was very satisfied with the answers given in this episode and I am very happy about Peter and Olivia. September needed to tell Peter that although he is trying to get home, stop and look around and realise you are home. Peter needed to hear that. This episode was truly imperative to the story telling and you will most certainly realise that in future episodes.

10/10 for me. This Episode is FAN-TASTIC.
I'm with Spuffy666 ... it was obvious to me all along that this was the "right" universe and I think it was a clever artifice, to watch the characters rebuild relationships that, it would seem, are inevitable. The whole "love conquers all" explanaton could've been handled with a little more metaphysical weight, e.g., that our very existence is to some extent dependant upon the traces we leave in other people but, well, that's a bit much to tackle in 44 minutes. And, yes, @FranziM, it all depends upon the child ...
I dont think this was a waste of an episode! More will come out of it, because it will have an impact on the other players - all these memories Peter and Olivia have from the Peter-Timeline ... Especially the Baby. The descendant of the "chosen one"! ..
Facebook pages, support sites are great......... but (@MirelaPilipo) clicking your 'like' button is not going to guarantee anything.

If anything, don't waste time visiting some unofficial facebook page, and instead use that time to support the official one.

But what we need are more people watching. So instead, put your energy into encrouaging your friends and relatives, their friends and relatives, your enemies friends and relatives, to stay in on Friday (long enough) and watch this brilliant show.

Lol. I just revisited this review and I don't think I saw your comment to me until today!
Well weather or not people were wasting their time by "liking" my page is up in the air. I doubt the page did much since I only got 1'700 "likes". But it's still going and the page did get attention from J.H. Wyman and Mr. John Noble himself (but I get that they weren't responsible for making the 5 the season happen) AND Fringe did get to finish it's story with a 5th and final season.
So, you know what, I'm happy (as I'm sure all Fringe fans are) and I will continue to support a Fringe through the work that I do with The Fringies Page.
Sorry for the very late reply btw. :-)
I don't really remember why I wrote this, but I think it was not about the page, more about what was suggested. Anyway, too long ago!

And I'm all for Fringe pages and support sites that keep the show alive. It deserves it more than any other I can think of.
What a great episode! It really had the writer-director feel to it and J.H. Wyman did a TERRIFIC job. Fringe is the best show on TV at the moment and it more then deserves a 5th Season. So, if you agree please 'like' our FB Page dedicated to getting a 5th Season for this Television Masterpiece. Just click on this link and then 'like' it. http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fringies-Page-We-want-a-5th-Season-of-Fringe/199999723417626 We NEED as many likes as possible to achieve what I think every Fringie wants right now: A GUARANTEED 5TH SEASON!
Hey Lincoln... What's up with the longing looks to Olivia? Why didn't you accept her invite to dinner back in the pre-Peter days? Man you missed this boat... Move on and ask Astro on a date or something...
For once in my life....... I disagree with Tim, sort of. I'm invested cause of the sci-fi, and would have prefered a setup that was science based. But this was built episodes ago. On where we are, thie HAD to be about love.

And disagree very much with Spuffy666. I don't see any proof in that list, and the clues were leading us in two directions (as they should).

I thought this was a great episode that focused on exactly what it needed to to allow other things to progress. I think this ep, at this stage, suffered from the long break.

As others mentioned, I'd like to go back to the other universe, see more there. We know we are home, we know for sure now these are our Walter, Olivia, etc. I also enjoy the full on Fringe department leaping into FBI action against obstacles, with Broyles giving the orders.

This show deserves more viewers. It is soooooo good.

I agree with you.
A Short Story About Love? More like A Huge waste of time!

Tim, and any other "fans" of the show that weren't sure if Peter was in the right place, Are you guys high? Do you watch the episodes stoned and not pay any attention to this show?

Here's a list of a few clues and one huge proof:

1. Walter and Peter's talk after Olivia's funeral last finale-explains almost everything about what they did

2. Peter shimmering in this season's premiere

3. Walter's visions and Olivia's dreams

4. Almost nothing changed in the other side

5. In "The End of All Things" September told Peter : "You have managed to return in physical form. I suspect... this will provide an opportunity for you to put things right. She is the one... the Olivia Dunham from whom your shared future was meant to spring. This must be, and everything will be as it was intended." and a minute later they had this exchange:

September: There is no time. I'm going to need you to do something for me.

Peter: I'm not doing anything until you tell me where to find Olivia --

September: For that, you have only to go home.

I get that Peter chose to hear what he wanted from September, he is genuinely afraid of betraying Olive again, But what's your excuse? This whole episode was made to answer the fans that don't pay attention where Peter is, and it's a shame they had to waste an episode when we probably have only 7 more for this series.

The only thing that saved this episode was Walter, and the scenes Olivia and Nina shared.

Pugs: cute! (most of them)

The whole "you are home" and "this Olivia is your Olivia" speech made me wonder when we are going to see the kid with the snow globe. Too pat. You spent an entire season making us believe we are now in a third universe, or at least in an alternate timeline, and struggling to get back to the original. Now we're just supposed to let that go? Nah, I choose to believe the Observer just wanted Peter to stop trying.
-I do buy Olivia's choice just because I really really want to because I'm so excited to see Olivia and Peter together again! If you tell me that that's really bad logic, it is, but I don't care.

-Astrid for Lincoln!!! I am with you there.

-Watch Fringe people!!!!

-AGREE!!!! Walter back in the main plot. Also, bring back Fauxlivia etc... The other side and all that.

-Sorry to burst your bubbles, people, but pugs are seriously ugly creatures. Cute little golden retriever puppies. That's where it is.
Totally saw this coming. Which is kind of disappointing because usually fringe is a lot more complicated than what I think is going to happen. Whatever, it's fringe and I love it, and there's still 7 more eps to complicate things up.
"Mr. Lincoln Dunham" LOL
Tim, really killer piece!! Some things just didn't sit right, and left me very unfulfilled. I couldn't put my finger on a couple things and you really nailed it. The story felt completely phoned in; sweet save with the happy ending and all; but it almost feels like the writers knew their episode was going to air against the tournament and invested more in their bracketology than the episode.

I would bet the bulk of the ratings drop can be attributed to the tournament. If you actually see this, maybe call one of your buddies at TV by the Numbers and see if other shows experienced equal or similar dips in viewership when paired directly against a game.
Yes, pugs are cute. Creepy men who look like pugs are also specially cute.

So are you still surprised the Observer is contradictory and seemingly doesn't make sense, Tim? Well, that's how Observers roll essentially. God and Observers work in mysterious ways. You're lucky he didn't simply repeat things Peter was going to say.

So, now that Olivia found love will she finally loosen up her hair?

Peter got this Olivia to fall for him again. Good job. Now all he has to do is go to Universe B, and get the other Olivia to fall for him too. Whatever happened to their baby by the way?
Unlike most of the people here, I do hope the Peter/Olivia relationship has been restored because now the story can focus on restoring a just as important (even more important?) relationship: Peter and Walter. If we are to accept that this has been Peter's timeline all along, then Walter still needs to come to realize and accept that this is his Peter (well, the Peter he took from the other universe to save, anyway). So keep hating, but I happen to like the simplistic explanation of Peter not being erased because Walter and Olivia couldn't let go of him--at least subconsciously.
With "the beacon" returning in this episode, I have a lot of faith that some lost plot arcs are going to be returning later this season. http://fringe.wikia.com/wiki/The_Circles
I'm on the team that needs less soap opera and more science fiction, no matter how implausible. I miss The Pattern, the impending war, the mysterious tech, the contrasts between the characters from one side to the other.

So does this mean everyone gets their memories of Peter back? If so does Fauxlivia remember she had a sprog with him? (SO DO NOT WANT to go all nursery rhyme time sap opera. Seriously.)

Pugs ARE cute. I call them all pugsly while is coo and basically make a fool of myself around them.

Low ratings reflect low appeal and face it, the It's a Wonderful Life spin got old a long time ago, like the second episode of it.

That dude who plays Lincoln is so freaking cute. I hope they find something better for him to do than mope around. To TPTB: do NOT kill him off.

The freak of the week was the Fringe valentine's day one off that could have stayed on the shelf. If could have been a lot more interesting but felt like an afterthought they tossed together.

I was also happy that Olivia and Peter ended this pregnant pause of a story arc. But it was the kind of happy I was when I got my sinuses open after the flue (I sympathize with you),

YES more Walter/Walternate. Oh, who am I kidding. It is probably too late. Fringe got too fringey on itself and lost more than a few hardcore followers methinks. So it is no wonder the numbers are dropping. Too much meodrama, not enough drama, action, Walter's humour, etc.
dear Tim i think you got the wording wrong on this one it's the same universe but it's a different time line. time was alter with the erasing of peter but the universe and ppl is the same in a sense. in science matter can not be created or destroyed but it can be changed, so i think thats what the observer was trying to say but the script writer failed to work that in there
I love Fringe, but after the mid-season finale and last night's follow up episode, I am losing faith as fast as Fox. I cannot believe it has come to this. The theories of multiple universes doesn't fit with time travel, period. Multiple universes would render time travel useless, and vice versa. Also, the love story between Peter and Olivia has been stretched too thin, and is no longer believable. Maybe the writers already know that there will be no season 5? I guess I will hold onto an inkling of hope, but my grip is slipping fast.

-I think this entire love scenario this season has been ill-contrived and Olivia's decision only signifies that. Two words: Weak Sauce.

-Lincoln appears to only be brought back as a distraction for the viewers. I assume we were supposed to consider him a threat to Peter in regards to Olivia's love in what seemed to be a new universe. Now, he is hardly even a character and more of a shell.

-That does not surprise me in the least. I was looking for it and still almost missed it.

-Walter was the glue for the show to me, now he seems just unimportant.

-All dogs are cute, in their own way, similar to babies in that respect.
I need that 5th season, make it happen! I dont live in the States so no one cares if I watch the bloody show or not.
Weakest episode of the season, but this is a very strong season. Case of the week didn't get it done and ended up being rather pointless and dull. Peter's quest for the truth was satisfying though and September's THEORY was reasonable - as in Lost there are some things we'll never know for sure. Rapping up Peter and Olivia's dilemma seemed due as there a lots else to rap up in the form of shapeshifters, DRJ and having everyone else remember Peter and the implications of that. Shows like this suffer from the fact that you need to see every episode for it to make sense and many don't want to make that committment - or it's just easier to buy it or download it and watch it later which isn't good for ratings at all. So, we're probably screwed for a season 5. But I love it and will rewatch this epic show no matter what happens...
DRJ was on the Mad Men premier, btw.
besides, it is still way too easy for Peter: "Hey, she's your Olivia. This is your world. Go, be happy, we cannot erase you" nah, there might be something there.
apart from "this Olivia is YOUR Olivia", it was a pretty weak episode. The worst of the episode, I might say. The case of the week wasn't interesting at all and it finished in such a hurried way that is was like: hmm, okay, don't care.

And, yes, I do miss Walter being more active, more like a main character.

I still don't like this fact that this universe is the same universe, don't know, looks like an easy way to solve things. Let's see what the other episodes have to say.
The story of the week was the antithesis to love or rather life without it.

-- Olivia chose to embrace love.

-- no Lincoln talk ;)

-- It's on Friday night if you want the show to get ratings FOX can move it to another night.

-- John Noble sounded like he had a cold when filming this episode. I do miss the old Walter.

-- Pugs are ugly dogs! LOL
What was wrong with this episode? Can't put your finger on it? There was no TAG at the end. Of all the episodes this season, this one needed a TAG the most; everything was resolved (for the most part) in this episode and the last, and so we are left scratching our heads, asking ourselves: "Okay... what happens now?" There is little purpose to the events that happening at this moment. Peter is set to live and love and solve Fringe cases, and the Observers will watch to... watch, and Oliva can better tap into her powers now; but how will these work themselves into the story of Season 4 as a whole? What exactly is Season 4 now? The only place this season-arc can go is find out why the observer wanted September to come back, and what that messed-up skin guy and the other-Nina want with Oliva. After that... DEUS EX MACHINA to cue Season 5? Anyone?
Uh, I'm fairly certain David Robert Jones has SOMETHING up his sleeve. We just don't know what it is yet.
Producers have said that Season 5 would explore the story of the man in the blimp in the episode "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide".
First off, I love pugs.

Secondly, I was satisfied with this episode because it confirmed what I thought all along - that this IS Peter's world and he just needed to remind everyone. Now I DESPERATELY want Walter to remember, too. Hopefully Olivia can help him.

Also, I agree about Lincoln and Astrid. I've been saying that for weeks now. WEEKS! :)
I think peter's return was induced part by walter's influence and Olivia's abilities. at least thats what I think.
whatever happened to amber sites?..are we going to start seeing them now?

and ZFT?..since DRJ isnt dead now, then ZFT agenda is alive and progressing well..ryt?

it has taken 3 days and i have now accepted that this is the "timeline", so i have started to think about all the changes that we saw without Peter as an integral part of the universe, and the only thing i keep on thinking about is ZFT... and amber sites. upon watching the trailer of the next episode and learning it name..am a bit perturbed!!

If I remember correctly we haven't seen any amber this year because early on in the season someone (totally forget who it was) said the degradation of both universes stopped once the bridge was in place. If the bridge gets taken away though...
Previous amber sites before the bridge was created are still present. There was one in "One Night in October". New vortexes can still open, but I believe it's rarer now that the two worlds have stabilized.
Seriously, I have to call bullshit. Because Olivia is NOT Peter's Olivia, he's just made her that way. We are the sum of our memories. Things that have happened in our life shape us and make us who we are. And the fact that Olivia was so willing to sacrifice her life and her memories to succumb to Peter's memories... It's bullshit. Yes, I'm willing to accept that Olivia is actually the real Olivia from a universe where Peter never existed, basically, Universe A, Timeline B. But the fact that no one else is remembering anything about Peter is just too glaring, as is the fact that yes, there are seven more episodes left in the season, which means a lot can happen. Not to mention that the writers are basically saying that everyone else in Olivia's life will suffer because of her decision, but it's okay because she's in love. The life she had with Nina will be gone. Broyles and Astrid and Lincoln... She'll remember them from a different life they never lived and will completely forget Lincoln, because was never around in the blue 'verse.

I find it hard to believe that September would tell Peter he's home, in a place where no one but OIivia will remember him and a place where his presence hasn't effected the world like it had before. It's not really home, it's just a close second.
A couple things here, Olivia is not receiving Peter's memories of herself, she's regaining her own memories from her old life which is why she knows things Peter does not know. This timeline thing is just like putting a new layer which covers the past timeline. Peter was able to bleed through this layer because of love and Olivia and Walter had visions of Peter since the first episode of season 4. As Peter became integrated more, Olivia's memories passed through too. This wouldn't have worked if Peter isn't in the same world he used to inhabit.
Also, Tim, I hope you feel better! :D
One thing I still don't get from the Observer future scientist explanation. Who is the kid that they found then? You know, the one who looked like an observer.
A friend of mine has a theory that July is the kid from season 1. She might be right... they kinda look the same
I have been wondering that myself. Are Observers even born, let alone born into different times and locations?

Are there any female Observers?
I'm sure they'll have an episode to explain that if we give them time. They are doing quite a few Season 1 callbacks recently.
Hey, can we really trust an Observer? I mean, September is known for his meddlings. What if he's only telling Peter what he wants to hear to avoid a calamity? I won't be surprised if they let us be comfortable before pulling a fast one. Imagine the fall out if that indeed is the case. Peter betraying his own Olivia and declaring war on the Observers!
Ooh, now THAT would be interesting. I like how you think.
I didn't even know the show was back until I saw it on the DVR. Fox will blame everyone but themselves if the show is canceled. Reminds me of the time Peter Griffin named all the canceled FOX shows one night during Family Guy, the list must have been five minutes long. Blast you FOX!
Tim I challenge you to go back to the the comments previously left by myself. I've stated 2 or 3 times the reveal presented friday night has been obvious since last years finale episode. In the last 10 minutes of the episode we were left thinking Peter was going to remove himself from his own timeline, in fact the only time line in which he lives. That being said I've re-watched this season to it's current place 3 times looking for clues as to why Peter was so determined to believe this was not his timeline. The only clue we've had is Peter's word claiming out right that this could not be his world since deep down he knew this to be true. Really?? If he had removed himself from his universe then what did he think it would go on to look like. I've stated many times that this was obviously his world, and now I can say I GUESSED RIGHT :) :) :)
im not gona lie. I highlly disliked this episode. It all seemed really cheesy, and to be honest, fringes worst episode yet. I even found eh acting God awful...is it just me?
Nope, I thought it was pug doo, too.
The echoes from the case-of-the-week to the character side story was a little... heavy handed.
i was a bit disappointed as well but still maintain the faith that things will pick up... im all for the power of love but somehow i was left wanting... lets hope the ratings pick up as well!!!
I can't even imagine how many futures there should be when every choice creates a new path, but how come there aren't other observers from different futures flying around through time and destroying things too?
How many times is Peter going to mistakenly identify his Olivia, and each time be forgiven? I thought after the previous episode, they'd have a lot of problems to work out if this turned out to be his timeline (which it did), but it seems like he has an infinite free pass. That's why the ending, for me, felt touching but not completely satisfying.
Fringe is a great show...the bestest!!

The rating problems should be laid in the hands/legs/shoulders/heads/ etc of the programming and marketing team(s) at FOX!!..poor marketing, yanking it around.etc What are we? Observers???!!

BTW, this Nina deserve a "World's best Mom "cup, someone give her one!..and Lincoln deserve a hug and a kiss..I nominate myself ,I'll do it!!
I hate to say it but I am losing interest in Fringe this season. Like people are saying this wasn't an especially good episodet yet it should have been a sesason higlight given that Peter and Olivia get back to together and we realise that he's been in his timeline all along. That should have been an end of season bang. But it wasn't. Have the writers tied themselves in so many knots now there's no clear way out? I'm not sure.
Has he really been in his timeline? He dropped into a timeline that wasn't his, and his love for Oliva and her love for him in the timeline he came from allowed her consciousnesses to merge together. Has Walter reverted to his self that existed in the timeline that Peter came from, or is he just recovering from his insanity just as he did before?
So many good questions, all unanswered.

This whole season felt like the writers got caught with their pants down. They had a great story that should have ended but the show got renewed so they had to pull a rabbit out of their hat.

Fringe used to feel like it was building up to something fantasmaglorical but now it feels like the foundation they laid has been tossed to the wayside. Not satisfying at all. Same characters, same locations, but doesn't feel like Fringe at all anymore.
How about those ratings? They are killing me! I can understand that a show like this doesn't attract new viewers. It's a little hard to catch up at this point if you are a casual TV viewer who won't make the effort. It's so much easier to just start watching a show without a complex background story such as The Mentalist or Bones. But now that the loyal fans are apparently abandoning the show, what chance does it have? *Tears*.

But the episode: I did enjoy it, except for September's comment about love. It was weak. They could have made him say something better, considering that love isn't really a mystery for science any more. I also liked the embrace at the end, even though someone might say it was sappy. Maybe I have a heart after all...nah...doubt it.

I am a little worried though that Lincoln might do something stupid. The poor guy has ended up so deep into the friend zone, that he might do something drastic to get out from there.
Bruce Jenner was Fantastic As case of week villian
hahhaha! that made me laugh..the resemblance!!

But i soon as i saw him i thought of FlashFoward,.... Dyson Frost

its cancellation must have been the worst for him!!

this ep left me sorta confused. On the one hand, I was right in a way, thinking that 'our Olivia' and 'this Olivia' are somehow merging into one and only as soon as this whole memories thing started. I KNEW it or rather felt in my guts :)

On the other hand, the story was somewhat loose. Who was that creep with pheromones, what were his motives, etc., etc.? Though as you've noticed Tim, the ep advanced Peter/Olive story line a great deal, in so many other aspects it really really failed.
Hey Tim - welcome back... I am sorry to say I do agree with your review... I wish I had liked this better... but it was oddly unsatisfactory even with the touching embrace at the end...

I am just speculating but it felt to me as if they had rushed things along to get the show to progress faster and this is why the case of the week did not feel fully developed - as if they had cut out some essential scenes? This could indicate to me that the team behind Fringe have been told THIS is the final season and to ensure they tidy it all up .... A sad prospect for Fringe fans but in view of the ratings, I do not see many signs for optimism....
I was okay with this season thinking that this isn't his universe. But now i am disappointed because this means that the whole Bolivia & Peter storyline was pointless. I wasn't a fan of it but i don't like loose ends.
You mean where Alt-livia gets pregnant and has a Henry? That's what the Observers were trying to correct. It's so important in fact that worlds have to change in order for Henry to not exist and interfere with some event in the future.
I loved the episode, including the poignant Peter/Olivia reunion at the end. Look, there's really no scientific way to explain love, so I'm glad that Fringe didn't attempt to go there. Love is simply a powerful force that can't be quantifiably explained. Also, so what if it seemed September gave Peter his "blessing" that this is HIS Olivia. Given what he's capable of, who better for Peter to get justification from?! I do agree with you though, that this might just be the tip of the iceberg, given how Fringe operates.

I also liked the case of the week, desptie not really revealing much backstory to Anson. For the most part, the episode was so good that I really didn't need it.
You get it, dude.
Also, I agree that the final scene missed something, they usually have a great chemistry and that wasn't the case. I also think that they'll have to face a rough patch to be together, like they did many times before, and besides there's stiil many episodes missing in the season...
I don't think that the episode was that bad, maybe it wasn't one of the best but it had a purpose - bringing Peter and Olivia back together. You can call me a sentimentalist but when the Observer told Peter that this was his Olivia I went YAY!!! I suspected it all along but something is bothering me, why didn't everybody else started remembering him too?

- Back to Peter and Olivia, you don't need a scientific explanation, in my country there is a saying that goes something like this "Love has reasons that reason doesn't understand" and thats what happened,,,

I really hope FOX doesn't cancel the show, it's one of the best in TV right now and the only reason it has such low ratings its that its on on Friday nights! So move it to another day and give another chance!!!!

I have to admit that this episode didn't particularly satisfy me either. Compared to the emotional impact of the previous episodes, I found this one sort of lacking. In all I found the episode to be a bit dull other than the reunion scene. And despite the twirls and the hug, that scene was lacking for me as well in comparison to other big Polivia moments.
i enjoyed this episode very much. i liked how Olivia chose to give up her memories and experiences 2 be w/ Peter because she would actually be happy and fill that void missing in her life. i thought the explanation about Peter not being erased was good 2 because it wasn't scientific, but more of a human explanation based on real human emotions grounded in reality. I also really liked the scenes w/ Nina and Olivia in this one, great stuff really showing the emotion journey and soul searching Olivia is going through....finally, great ending. how can you not love it if your a fan of the show?...i just hope they dont do a love triangle w/ Lincoln...they teased it, but i dont wanna c that play out.
For me, this ep was kinda weak and boring in comparison to the rest of the season. I agree the final moment didn't have me jumping for joy that Peter and Olivia were together again I was more like "Okay. Great. Now what?" It lacked that moment of two people who are meant to be together realising they can be and celebrating with a movie kinda kiss. Instead it was a hug 'n' spin.
I nearly died of cuteness because of all the pug paw action that was happening.
Load More Comments