Fringe: Pondering Purpose Post-Peter

Fringe returned Friday night for its fourth season, and going into the premiere there was one question on fans' minds: "Where is Peter Bishop!?!?!" An hour later, the episode ended and there was one question on fans' minds: "Seriously dudes, where is Peter Bishop!?!?!" It's always difficult to come back after a season finale that hinged on one major, mind-exploding question (Where is Peter Bishop!?!?!) and not get an answer in the season opener. This is going to divide Fringe's audience into two camps: those who are simply happy the show is back, and those who feel slighted. Where do you stand?

There was no responsibility on the part of the Fringe staff to answer the question of Peter's whereabouts in the first hour of Season 4. But I can't be alone in thinking it would have been nice to get a little more of a clue, right? Instead, "Neither Here Nor There" (great episode name, btw) served as a noob-friendly series relaunch, which is both exciting and worrisome.

Assuming my math is correct, we're now in the series' fourth "existence," for lack of a better term. We have our normal Peter universe, the "over there" universe, the Season 3 finale's future plane, and this season's Peter-less timeline. The problem with the newest universe is that it essentially throws a lot of the things we learned from the other existences out the window. At least, that's what I first thought, but that's wrong. Don't be dumb, Tim.

What started as a series about creepy-crawlies and G-Men from who-knows-where has become a series about existence and the lengths to which some cosmic force will go in order to tie things together. That's why it's now important to look at Fringe from about 30,000 feet away. Go top-down. See the big differences in the characters and the influence the various existences have on each other.

The new Olivia has regressed back to pre-Peter times, where she was a frump—an Eeyore to everyone else's Tigger. It's unfortunate that she's a more boring Olivia, but it just goes to show how much the old Olivia grew. (Personally I think Anna Torv overplayed it to the point of getting us not to like her, but that was probably intentional; for a similar example, take a look at soulless Sam Winchester in the early episodes of Supernatural's sixth season.) The difference in Walter is less noticeable, but to me he seems a little loonier than usual. He's all highs and lows without Peter, acting more like a child prodigy than the man who'd come to understand responsibility thanks to being a father three times (to original Peter, other-universe Peter, and adult Peter when he came back into Walter's life)—and, you know, also thanks to that thing about destroying a few universes. Something to think about.

To illustrate how all these familiar faces are getting along without Peter (which I would say is not that well), Friday's premiere was told mostly through the eyes of Lincoln Lee (Seth Gabel). He's nerded out over here, with his suit and glasses, but still shows flashes of the more badass, "over there" Lincoln. Lincoln is great and I've loved Gabel since his days on Dirty Sexy Money, but let's get one thing straight: He is NOT Peter and never will be.

And that's one of my major concerns right now. How long can the writers keep Peter away? A few flashes of his image aren't going to cut it, and will get old fast. I'm also wondering how many of Fringe's small details are going to remain important now that a reset button has been pushed. Remember when you realized that half of what you'd learned in Lost didn't really matter? I'm scared that could happen again.

You'll notice that I haven't written much about the specific events of "Neither Here Nor There," and that's because there weren't actually that many big incidents (I've included some notes on what did happen below). Fringe is normally a pro at blowing our minds in the final few minutes of an episode, but when the show ended and the credits rolled, I checked my brain and found it safely in place. I'm guessing "Neither Here Nor There" was aimed more toward roping in a new audience to boost the series' sagging ratings, because a lot of the "wow" moments concerned things we already knew about: the shapeshifters, the secret room where the two universes converge, the Observer saying he wanted to erase Peter from time.

"Neither Here No There" wasn't the typical sprint out of the gate we're used to from season premieres; in fact, I'd go so far as to call it "slow." But Fringe isn't a typical show. We got a few answers and asked even more questions, but we also got some philosophy to ponder. Fringe is one of those shows where the more you stretch your brain to think about it, the better it gets. The answers will come, and from the look of the "Coming up on Fringe" segment at the end of Friday's premiere, so will the awesomeness. In the meantime, try to wrap your mind around the possibilities the show is positing and sprinkle some LSD on your brain.

Notes From the Other Side:
– A new intro (yellow!) means new fringe science terms in the opening credits: Psychogenesis, Psychometry, Philosopher's Stone, Quantum Entanglement (a Walter favorite), Viral Therapy, Gravitons, Psychic Surgery, Transgenics. But the ones I'm particularly interested in, and which clearly relate to Peter's situation, are Bilocation (the ability to appear in two places at once), Ethereal Plane (a plane of existence beyond our own), Time Paradox (for obvious reasons), and what I think is the big one, the simple idea of Existence.

– Near the end of the episode, when Walter was checking out the tech inside the shapeshifter, he said, "I knew we couldn't trust him!" referring to Walternate. Is Walternate sending people over to our universe, or is someone else sending them?

– "Neither Here Nor There" contained a bit of hand-holding that I don't expect from Fringe, with its constant reminders that "something is missing" or "there's a hole in my life that I've had as long as I can remember." We know. No need to rub it in our faces. We're smarter than that.

– Though I think it's been debunked, I really like the Peter-is-an-Observer theory, even though my understanding of Observers is shaky at best. Don't the Observers travel through time, ensuring the universes are as they should be? Didn't Peter essentially do the same thing? Can Observers be people who have ceased to exist, and in this state of non-existence lose their hair, go pale as a ghost, and thirst for hot sauce? Maybe the Observers are flickering like Peter back in the times/planes where they originally existed?

– It's time for some stream-of-consciousness theorizing about where Peter is now: He either was never born, died as a young child, or was simply erased. Did Peter sacrifice himself, Donnie Darko-style, when he saw the crappy future in the Season 3 finale? At one point in that episode, Walter said that if he could, he would go back in time and never pull young Peter between universes. Did he pull that off? Or did the Machines go back to the past through wormholes, planted there by Walter, or Peter, or the Observers? Guys, I'm confused.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

"There's a hole in my life that I've had as long as I can remember." I can understand your indignation at this episode's slow pace for a season premiere, but come on, this was a magnificent line. Not the most subtle of poetry, but poetry nonetheless. And Torv's delivery was nothing less than poignant. I didn't mind the so-called handholding: this episode was as much an introductory lesson for new viewers as it was to longtime fans a touching demonstration of the Fringe team's fractured existence sans Peter. You righty pointed out that the characters heretofore have had tremendous growth since the team's inception, and untwining Peter's presence from that character development would logically have an impact, even undoing some of those differences, in Walter and Olivia especially. On a different point: oh, ye of little faith. I can't believe you were worried that half the series' mythology might have to simply be forgotten, as in Lost. (I do remember that moment by the way :[ )
I am watching this season but Peter better come back some how,some way. I like Lincoln but he is NO Peter..
Hi all,

I so happy Fringe is back :) I loved the "new" characters.

About Peter ans the Observers. I think that Peter dieded in this new reality when he fell in the water. In our original time time, the Observer saved him.

About the damages to the Universes, once Walter crossed over they started and that will have an effect in the both Universes and on Observers. So everything that happened on seasons 1 to 3, still occurred, but this time without Peter's help to solve it.

I always thinked there should be more universes and for some reason these two universes are linked to the Observers Universe. And for some reason Peter been alive changed something. Butterfly effect maybe. The changes are small but it is all it takes.

We already know that both universes have some physical laws not working as they should, meaning that when Peter fused both worlds and corrected the time line, in that spot maybe his love/connection with Olivia was stronger than physics and a fragment was left behind. And I hope he cames back. Lee is not Peter :)
this plot makes no sense at all. if there is/was no peter then all of the stuff that happened before doesn't matter cuz it never happened. peter brought the 2 universes together, if he doesn't fracking exist, who the frack opened the bridge then. and if he doesn't exist then who is walter seeing, this is another universe, if let's say peter materialized and was like "hey guys i am back", the first thing people would say is "who the frack are you?". and would peter know who the frack he is :\ my head is gonna explode. the season 3 universe where he opened the bridge, will he go back to that universe or will he spawn into the season 4 universe where nobody except the black hats know about him. aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhh
I'm just happy that the show is back but Where the f@$/ is Peter??
Well clearly there is a third party. I mean we have the original blonde Olivia crew, the feisty red head Olivia crew and the Observers. I think there may be a FOURTH party in the mix. Perhaps multi-dimensional anarchists to oppose the Order fixated Observers? An infinate Reich bent on multiversal domination? Who knows. Is Walternate still a terrorist now? Or did Peter rewriting things make him back into head of Alter-Fringe?
I dont know why, but I have come to believe that there is a third party at play in both the universes and that both the current fused universes will have to join up and set aside there differencies in order to defeat this common enemy.

As to Peters reappearence I'm placing a bet that he comes back around episode 8 or 9.
Did anyone notice the leaf in the palm scanner? It appeared after Lincoln walked away.
I have a question: Shouldn't it be another parallel universe, or another, or another etc? Who is to say that there is just one parallel universe? So now the other question is: Where are the Other Olivias and Peters and Walters of the other Universes? But i guess that would be to much ey?

Anyhow, J.J. Abrams is a genius. Wait for it...
I just started watching Fringe a couple of days ago and am half-way through the first season. Glad I have a lot to look forward to, as it seems a pretty amazing show.
When I started watching, I thought OK, this is a 21st century X-Files. (Frankly I was a bit dissapointed.) But this thing grows... For me, it is one of the best series around.
you will not be disappointed. Fringe is a great show
Fringe wouldn't be Fringe without this sort of hanging on the edge! And everything will be all pretzel-like because that is the very nature of the show. So we sit back and enjoy and obsess, the peanut gallery! Oh, and Peter will be back or the show will lose its key foundation relationship. Mulder without Scully and Scully without Mulder was a jagged little pill, but the presence of the other was always there in some manner. Too early in a show here to pull off that gambit here.
Joshua Jackson is probably on a half season contract due to budget cuts and so that is why the last 2 seasons he has not been around. I think he may be on a short term contract also because living in vancouver means he is on the other side of the world from his partner and so doing the show only for half a season means he can see her more often. Simple explaination for how the writers are dumb in leaving out Josh Jackson out of half the seasons since season 2.
SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!
I thought it was a great start to the season. It was a bit slow for the first half, but it picked up in the latter half. It even answered some questions that were opened in the finale.

As for Peter missing, I actually don't mind. Peter was never one of my favourites on the cast, but they definitely won't go much longer without him. I think he'll return in a few episodes.
Are you guys really blaming the producers for not handing all the answers in the very first episode of the season?! Did you really think Peter would reappear out of the blue and everything would be explained? And, do you really believe they would just erase Peter from the show and replace him with Lincoln? Come on, Fringe is such a great show, let them explore this Peter-less universe some more just like they did in the previous season when Olivia was kept prisoner Over There... he'll be back soon (I hope!).
Just remember that it took four episodes in season 2 until we got the explanations of what happened to Olivia on the other side. Give this season some time. The producers are used to drag things out in Fringe.
I loved this episode and think that it was a good idea not to tell the audience where is Peter right away. I find your idea about Peter being an observer very interesting, I hadn't thought of it :) Oh, and Seth Gabel was great, love his new nerdy character :)
I liked seeing Astrid working with Olivia a lot more. Her rold in the first 3 seasons wasn't huge so it'll be great to see how she factors into this whole mess now.

Anyone else worried that Walter might end up back in the loonie house for freaking out about those Peter sightings? hmmm...
A newcomer would be way too confused to understand what is going on imho.
Ya it's true. My boyfriend occassionally watches me, and the attempt to explain stuff is really hard. I'm glad they made episode 0 with the recap of everything that happens. If I can get him to watch that, it will be simpler.

I've been behind watching this show since July and powering through after work. I finally got to season 4 episode 1 last night and I've never wanted to watch less... where t f is Peter? Grar.
awesome
As I understood it, the observer was supposed to erase Peter from time, but I think at the last minute he changed his mind and didn?t do it, am I wrong?.
No. Because Peter wasn't completely erased, the Observers decided to go one step further by also erasing Walter. After all, no Walter, no son (Peter).

At the last moment, the Observer decided erasing Walter as well was something he just couldn't do. He's known Walter for a long time, after all.
I got the impression that the Observer was sent after Walter. Could it be that Walter is serving as an anchor for Peter?
That's what happened.
BTW: Tim...I'm still waiting on your review about Supernatural's premiere and your rank of episodes!
My opinion although not asked for: Truly evil in the sense that it almost made me want to turn it off. I miss the actual hunting and "family" sense to the gang. It has lacked that element for long spans of time, and they need to bring it back or they will likely lose the audience remaining.

However... giving Cass a backbone (even an evil one) did add flavor in the end.
I have a question, but it's from last season finale. So, there was 2 machines, as I understand. One on our side, one on the other side, right?. The other universe ...I don't know, disappeared, died, exploded, I don't know what happened there. Many years on the future Walter send the machine back through time...who send the other one?. The only logical answer is that our universe and theirs was once a single universe, for some reason, something big happened ( maybe the meteorite that killed all the dinosaurs I don't know although now I'm thinking something more recent because the difference would be bigger between the universes ) and that universe split in 2, identical in that point. Everything was duplicated, so the machine Walter sent from the future was on the other universe as well, and from that point everything changes. And that's why if a universe dies the other one dies too, because they used to be one and somehow they're still conected.

I didn't really discuss Fringe in any forum since season 3 ended, so is there a strong theory about who send the machine through time? I missed something and that question already have an answer?

Anyway...I liked the season premiere, felt like a season 1 episode though ( but with much more mythology ).
btw, "parallel universes" and "meteors killing dinosaurs" are just theories.
sounds like walter isn't the only one that uses lsd or at least drugs that make someone a dumbass.
I don't know if this was addressed, but it seems that Walter is more lucid. He seems to have become a little agoraphobic due to witnessing the death of his son twice. It appears that his experiments are a lot more cohesive and daring as if he never lost his intelligence. Resulting in a much darker Walter...
i know whats happening in fringe but when i talk about it i get confused.this show is so hard to explain which is why i like it.
From what they said in this episode, Walter did bring Peter from the other universe. But died in that lake where the observer saved him. Walter said that he lost his son twice to Lincoln in the lab. But if it was another universe, Olivia, Walter, etc. wouldn't think that something is misssing. So there is two universes, one alternative future and a verson of the same universe minus Peter.

And Lost always called my atention because of the misterys. And in the end lot of things wasn't answered. It wasn't the end itself (the hole heaven thing) the problem. Fringe is answering the question as we go and proposing others. So I'm not afraid of Fringe turning into Lost.
In reference to Tim's question in the Notes, I recall one Observer saying to the other something along the lines of: "They must never find out the boy grew to become a man." Which would suggest to me that whatever the Machine did, it altered the time-line so that both Universes believe their Peter died.
YUP I totally agree.. It seems to me Walter may have stolen Peter setting off the problems OVER there... however Walter could not save Peter either. Where Peter is? Oviously the bald MIBs know and was going to somehow distroy him but could not ( personally he has a soft spot for Peter) I still want to know what about Peter and Alt-Livias child? Does she have a child? I am more concerned about that then anything. Why? Know idea but I wanna know.
This comment has been removed.
I loved the way Lost ended! Full circle to the beginning!
Just curious, did anyone else notice how good the score was in this episode? When Lincoln was looking at his partner's name-tag, the sad music playing reminded me of Charlie's theme. Michael Giacchino is soo good.
Well, the government did get a copy of the shapeshifter's copying thing. Maybe he was an experiment from "over here" that ran amock. Trying to reproduce shapeshifters/soldiers, but not far along compared to "over there" so they're still basically human (instead of synthetic robots).
It wasn't as actiony as the other season premieres, but it certainly was interesting! I felt so sorry for Walter because Peter really was what held the man together. Without his son, Walter is so painfully lost. Also, the scenes with the Observers really got me thinking. For once, September actually showed some shred of human emotion by not using that machine! Was it mercy that he didn't eliminate Peter's...ghost?
Regarding the season premier of Fringe,I think that someone else is sending the shape shifters, an enemy yet to be revealed. Late in Season 1 there was an episode where Olivia hopped over to a parallel universe (not the one Walternate inhabits, IMHO), and graffiti was sprayed onto a building stating "He is here!". The city was in flames and the Fringe Division of that universe were given orders to shoot (whoever?) on sight. Then Olivia hopped back, with no explanation given. I think there is another enemy yet to be revealed, hopping from one universe to another, wreaking havoc. Perhaps something/someone even the Watchers aren't aware of, since they've made no mention of it/him. Someone spray painted "He is here!" for a reason.
I think there is now a 3rd universe where the new shifters come from. Peter said that there are holes torn in both realities which all lead to The Room. Therefore I propose a new enemy for the dual universes to unite against.

Great episode. True it wasn't as impressive as the other Fringe premiere but it was still good.

"And that's one of my major concerns right now. How long can the writers keep Peter away? A few flashes of his image aren't going to cut it, and will get old fast."

Hopefully the writers won't keep Peter away for long. Fringe usually does take a 3 week break between late March and the middle of April so hopefully he will be back then.

"Is Walternate sending people over to our universe, or is someone else sending them?"

I think it's someone else. Maybe another Walternate.
In which universe ? Blue, Red or Orange ?
In one of their teasers they said that this was a great moment for new viewers to start watching, so... I think that's why they're starting off a little 'slow'.

But i'm actually very happy that my favorite show DIDN'T give me sigh of relief...

Still on the tip of my chair and i'll stay that way 'till next week!

... Probably 'till the series finale!

ok, I'm calling it right now: LEONARD NIMOY IS BACK.

SINCE: Peter didn't grow up to be a man, he never went off with Walternate, the Fringe team never went to save him, and William Bell never sacrificed himself to get them across. Which means he is still alive and well in his WTC office.
If I remember correctly, Nimoy didn't want to do acting jobs anymore. That's why they had to take him out of the series. He might do some "voice" appearances, tho.
We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up for an episode or two.
Good opener, I have no worries the writers have a special season for us. As for the inconsistencies, they are only few of them throughout the show, and they referenced a LOT of things as the stories progressed.
I feel so alone in how I view shows like Fringe and Lost. First of all I never thought for a second that Peter was literally gone from the show for good. Obviously they worked it into the plot and he will eventually come back. Peter IS Fringe in my eyes, right there with Walter. I also enjoyed this episode more than, everyone else it seems, because I expected it to start slow like this. Time was just rewritten for Christ sake! Of course it's going to be back to how it was in season one with a lot of the characters reverting to their old selves. The writers are trying to show you that Peter is what made this show; he's what gave these people purpose and set them on the path they were at at the end of season three. It's pretty clear that it will continue like this until at least the mid season point, where Peter may return, and you'll see how much of an effect he suddenly has on everyone around him. Next I notice that you want your brain to explode at the end of every episode, yet you want answers as soon as possible. Clearly this is coming from the same type of mind that didn't understand Lost and how shows with questions/answers need time to build up and not rush to give answers or pile on brain exploding plot. You can't have it both ways. And they clearly stated that it's as if Walter has nothing to cling to the world with (ie: Peter). I'm glad you're thinking the way you are (as the writers probably intended), but it sounds like you didn't catch this specifically during your assessment of Walter being a bit more loopy. Overall it wasn't an amazing mind blowing opening, but I can't fault them for setting up this new timeline in a slow manner. Everything fits as it should so far; you'll get your answers soon enough.
as we all got the answers with Lost, I guess.
I wonder if we will ever see Rachel and Ella again,and I wanted to see Nina and more Broyles. The season premiers of Fringe aren't always the best but later on Fringe usually kicks as.s so I'm not really worried I just miss PeTah. And please people watch live if you can.
I'm glad the show is back. Just frustrated about that episode. Why? Well the last season was awesome and ended in a great way, going at 300 mph. Season 4 started at 10 mph. I also felt somewhat cheated by the show, as we watched these characters develop so much through the course of the previous seasons and now everything feels like we are back at square one.
The many comments I now read about the "new" Fringe, here and elsewhere, are beginning to remind me of the comments we saw about Lost. Many, many questions, and paradox, and loose ends, and unexplained inconsistencies... I'm just afraid that the show will end up as abruptly and leave us all there to hang... again. Last season was full "Two Universes" and the ratings dropped. This year begins with a too complicated premise for new comers (unless they view the 3 previous seasons first) and bring many inconsistencies for the older fans on top of having one of the main character gone, and the other main characters, Olivia and Walt, not being as interesting and loveable as they were... That's not good to keep the usual audience. Today, Networks cut shows at the blink of an eye. It is very risky to change the whole essence of a show and complicate it like this when the ratings are already sagging. It looks like they're in a cu-de-sac: Peter exist = the 2 Universes continue to deteriorate, Peter doesn't exist = no breach of the other Universe, Peter exist but returns to the other Universe and closes the paradox = no Joshua in the series. If they don't wrap up this story line with an intelligent twist before mid-season I'm afraid that they're going to be cut short.
I get your worries but honestly I think that Abrams learned from the mistakes of Lost (I dropped it at the beginning of the third season : I was totally "lost"). On that matter, the first season (despite a lot of stand-alones which revealed to be more than that) proved that they had the heart of the story in mind since the beginning. Where I agree with you is about the not-so-new-watchers-induction side of this premiere : I don't think one can fully understand and appreciate the show without seeing the three previous seasons.

To sum up, I have faith in the show and I'm sure that this Peter situation will be resolved neither too quickly nor slowly
All JJ learned is he can be involved in the first season of the show and get credit for the whole damn thing. JJ didn't run Lost into the ground, it was the writers of season 4-6 in my opinion (not just Cuse and Lindelof but a couple others whose names escape me), and therefore he couldn't have learned more from the debacle of the Lost than any other person (including us, the viewers).
Good point. I recall however an interview of Abrams saying that most of the plot was well defined from the beginning. The season 1 was a good demonstration of that. Even if Abrams is not involved anymore, the team is still his "buddies" who worked on the other shows such as Lost and Alias (which, imo, went to the ground as well with the Rambaldi stuff). Let's hope that those guys learned something... or am I a bit too optimistic ?
Answers to your questions:

Peter died in the lake in this timeline. Walter says "People die. It happens. Sometimes twice..." It's also mentioned how Walternate has good reason to hate Walter (i.e. he stole his son). Everything up until the moment when the Observer (I can't remember which month he is. September?) dives into the frozen lake and saves Peter and Walter from the original timeline is the same. But the whole point was: the Observer wasn't supposed to interfere like that. He was supposed to let Peter die.

Oh, and Peter totally didn't sacrifice himself.

The pieces of the machine were sent back in time by Future Dystopian Walter.

Re-watch "The Day We Died" (Season 3 finale, also a great name) and this will be cleared up a bit for you, I think.
But the observed had interfered prior to pulling Peter out of the lake. the observer appeared in walternates lab and made it so that walternate missed the cure, and thats the whole reason our walter went over there. if that mistake had been fixed properly then peter would exist on the other side.
But the Observer said that Walternate finding a cure was an important moment in time that he had to witness, so he can't change that action.
How can Peter have died in the lake if he "never existed"?
He existed as a boy. He never existed as a man. They did say something like "they can never know the boy lived to be a man"
I thoroughly enjoyed the premiere. I would have enjoyed it a tensy bit more had Nina been a part of it. That's really my only let down. I thought the addition of Seth Gabel's Lincoln Lee from the blue verse was welcome, and didn't/don't see him as a character meant to take Peter's place. I thought the writers utilized him as the character that is introducing new viewers to Fringe well. He was understandably confused, pissed, yet understanding that whatever is going on is beyond his grasp right now, but he's willing to stick it out in order to find the answers he needs. That and he has a personal investment having lost his partner in all this craziness.

I've never quite got the opinion some viewers have that Olivia was hard to like. Yes, she's closed off and guarded, but the one thing that has always bleed through her character is her empathy. We saw that with Lincoln in ensuring his partners body was returned to his family. Even her need to try and explain her mindset and demeanor about not only the job she does, but about herself. Add in the patience and warmth she exudes when getting Walter to calm down, and those barriers she put up intially after John Scott's death in the original timeline, they aren't as uninpenetratable as they once were.

Regarding the discrepency between what September said about Peter never existing in the finale, and December's statement that they can never know that Peter grew up to be a man couldn't that be simply be a matter of perception? One doesn't necessarily negate the other if they're referring to the fact that yes, in one timeline Peter survived, grew up, powered the machine, and ripped a whole in two universes to create a bridge between them the poofed away. However, they (Walter, Olivia, Astrid, Walternate...) aren't meant to know any differently. Maybe Peter was never born, or both died as boys and whatever set the two worlds at war with one another is something else entirely. Like, Walter (and presumedly Bell) accidentally punching a hole into the redverse, which led Walternate to retaliate to the point of excess? I don't know, it's just a guess, so, we'll have to wait and see. I actually like the idea that the war between worlds as it stands now came about by accident and not over the Walter's grief for Peter. It makes Peter's re-entry back into the story a little more unique because these people possibly won't know him as Peter the lost son/lover/friend, but as a stranger that knows far more about all of them than he should.

Still don't care for the other alternate Olivia. I find her condescension off-putting, and I wouldn't have protested if Olivia had chunked one of those boxes at her head. LOL.

Looking forward to next weeks episode. Too bad the option to watch it on-line until after a new episode airs, the encore on Saturday nights along with the iTunes option being removed has been put in effect. Seems rather counterproductive to a generating dollars, and gaining interest in the show.
I actually like how the show (with the exception of Walter's visions) completely ignored Peter. It really is as if he didn't exist, even to the writers, although you've got a point, they can't keep it up forever.
The opening is amber Tim, not yellow! It's an amber opening!!

-Olivia was kind of cold to Lincoln at first--just doing her job-- but she's no "Soulless Sam," LOL....

-Shocker alert: I think Walternate is innocent this time.

-Peter the Observer? Now THAT would be mind blowing!!

-If you look at the episode guide, I think after episode 3 ('Alone in the World' a Peter-centric episode), we will all have a much better idea about all this craziness. but for now, I am just a confused as everyone else...
Great episode!! Slow may not be a bad thing. This episode let us see what a world without Peter would be like while allowing newcomers (hopefully there will be some this year) to get a taste of what fringe is all about.
mmmmmm...?

It really seemed more like a new show than a continuation of an existing one. It will take a few episodes for me to tell if I'm going to stick with it this year. I don't want to keep watching a show because it was good (eg. Heroes). If Peter comes back soon I'll probably stick with it, but if they do as it appears and drag that story out all season then I might not. There's been just too many uninteresting episodes in the past few years that have seemed more like filler than story.

I did find there was a greater distinction between Olivia and Fauxlivia. They really came across as two different people (although obviously played by the same person) with different personalities. Last season they seemed more alike.
Excellent point about the Olivia/Fauxlivia personalities and dynamic changing in the absence of Peter. I think Fauxlivia, for all her perceived more well-roundedness and better adjusted approach to life than Olivia, has always been the colder, more calculating of the two, but last season her experience in Olivia's life and falling in love with Peter mellowed some of her sharper edges, not to mention the change becoming a mother wrought in her perspective. Recall that she never gave a second thought to destroying an entire planet and its 6 billion inhabitants before Peter and Henry, but she became a sympathizer through her connection to Peter, and Peter's belief that "there must be a way to save both" was in fact always Olivia's belief, which she shared with Peter as her reason for giving so much of herself in the effort to resolve the crises. Olivia has always been, for her melancholy and reserve, a driven but empathetic woman with a fierce commitment to duty and a strict sense of honor born of all the loss and pain she has experienced in her life, while Fauxlivia can afford her cocky callousness as little of that loss seems to have touched her own life.
More +
Good point. The major question in the first episode was of course: "Where is Peter and what happened to him?". Let's hope that isn't the crux of this season. I think none of us want single installment episodes with little whispers in our ears at the end of each, dragging it out and reverting back to the flavor of season 1.
I want the blue intro back. At least then I can be sure I'm watching the same show as I've always been watching.
Load More Comments