Fringe: Save the Best for Astrid

Fringe S04E11: "Making Angels"

Yowza, Friday's episode of Fringe was DENSE like a brick made out of tightly packed mashed potatoes! So many things happened in "Making Angels" that there's no time to chat about your weekend, swap Super Bowl stories, or exchange updates on how your cat's potty training is going, so let's get to it!

First, if you don't want to pick up Jasika Nicole and put her in your pocket and feed her like a baby bird then you are crazy. Jasika got her long overdue Astrid-centric episode this week as Universe B Timeline B Astrid crossed over to meet Universe A Timeline B Astrid following the death of the former's father. A/B Astrid's reaction to seeing her counterpart was priceless, and Olivia's quip ("I always wondered why nobody does that") brought up a great point. But that's just Astrid being Astrid.

It's easy to forget that Astrid is the lone normal person working in close quarters with a bunch of weirdos. Her reaction and subsequent efforts to help her counterpart were compassionate, sweet, and completely devoid of personal motivation, because that's just the way Astrid is. After Astrid Asperger (B/B) sought out Astrid for answers about her father, Astrid commiserated with her by saying her dad also lacked compassion. But it was all pillow talk, as we saw Astrid's dad in the end, a giant teddy bear who showered Astrid with love and great kitchen puns as soon she walked through the door. Astrid chose to lie to her counterpart because it was exactly what her counterpart wanted to hear and exactly what she needed for closure.

But it was the "please don't go" squeeze Astrid gave her dad at the end that really sent the story into emotional orbit. Astrid learned so much about herself from Astrid Asperger's experience with her father on the Other Side, and their cold relationship made her value her own relationship with her father that much more. Cue the teary-eyed embrace. The story also touched on concepts of nature versus nurture; what came first, Astrid Asperger's "condition" or her father's lack of love? Fringe's fourth season is exploring how little differences can knock things off their path so greatly, and this was well exemplified through Astrid.

If you squinted and looked really hard, the Astrid story also played into the case-of-the-week, as they are wont to do on Fringe. Astrid's late hug with her dad signified her recognition of the inevitability of her future: Her dad will one day die. Neil was a man with all the powers of the Observers. Both addressed ideas of dealing with the inevitable. Neil could see the past, present, and future, and decided to use his ability to become a compassionate Angel of Mercy. Awesome! Why let someone slowly wither away from a battle with cancer? Why let some alcoholic ruin the lives of her friends and family? Why let some prick who talks on his cell phone while driving involve someone else in the inevitable car accident?

Well, it turns out that taking fate into your own hands isn't such a great idea if all you really become is a psycho murderer with an over-inflated sense of worth. The Fringe Division, with the help of Astrid Asperger, closed in on Neil and eventually things came to an abrupt halt with Olivia shooting him dead even though Neil foresaw the event. Neil may have even purposefully fired his gun at Olivia well off to the right to seal his fate, setting up a weird self-fulfilling prophecy. For a second I wondered whether Peter's presence at the scene helped Olivia stand in a different spot, one outside the bullet's path, thus showing Peter the variable that can't be accounted for in these universes and strengthening his importance. I'm not sure that holds any water in this case, though, because though Peter was present at the scene, he wasn't actually in the room when the shots were fired. Probably just a case of me looking too far into things. But it does now leave open the question of that unusual ending, which didn't feel like a satisfying conclusion, especially given the strong start to the case.

Fauxlivia also made a lengthy appearance in "Making Angels," creating some really great moments between her and Olivia and her and Walter. I know I've said this before, but man do I love this stuff. Give me more versions of characters interacting with each other! It's so very telling of who these people are and raises all sorts of interesting questions.

But with all the cross-universe awesomeness going on, I couldn't keep my eyes off Walter Bishop and his fascinating interactions with those from the other universe. He instantly took to alternate Astrid, meshing with her better than with his own Aspirin Asterix Astrid. Even though his talks with Fauxlivia began with verbal barbs and daggers, there was a deeper familiarity between the two than between Walter and Olivia. Despite their rocky past (which we didn't actually see in this timeline), those two just plain got along and had fun with each other. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but it almost seemed like Walter was meant to be with these two alternate versions of his friends. Given how well he fit in with them, here's my crazy thought of the day: Could A/B Walter actually be B/B Walter, and he doesn't know it? Could the Walters have switched places early on in this timeline? How else can you explain how well he got along with alternate Astrid and Olivia? Or am I talking insanity? The smart money is on me = crazy, but there's got to be something more to Walter's behavior and how at ease he was with those two.

"Making Angels" also made some good headway with the Observers. Neil's power came from a device that was apparently misplaced by September at Raiden Lake. Oops! Do the Observers rely on this device to see across time and space? And now December knows that September dropped the ball on erasing Peter, which means no Christmas bonus for September. You may be saying to yourself, "Wait, the Observers are only picking up on that now? Can't they see all time and space?" Well, they are still seeing across time and space, we're just seeing them see it for the first time. We can't take what we see of the Observers from a chronological point of view; in fact, we'd best prepare ourselves for understanding these pale freaks by knowing in advance that their appearances are likely out of order. Will someone gather up all their scenes and put them in one convenient YouTube video for me? Thanks in advance!

"Making Angels" was a great, fun, emotional episode that had only one weakness in the ending of the case-of-the-week. And what a fantastic performance by Jasika Nicole, who can finally shed that "underrated" tag.

Notes from the Other Side:

– Tee hee! Olivia and Fauxlivia scoping out Peter! Giggle giggle.

– I loved the way Fauxlivia got a kick out of poking Walter with a stick at every opportunity. She's a mischievous little lady, that Fauxlivia!

– There was no major progress with the "get Peter home" story, but the episode never felt like filler to me. Fringe's plotting is excellent, but as long as the series can continue to bring compelling character stories, I really don't mind if Peter stays stuck over here for longer.

– Walter getting non-verbal permission to hug alternate Astrid... awww. And Fauxlivia: "Are you flirting with me?" Walter: "In your dreams." Maybe Walter needs to spend more time in the other universe.

– One of the perks of my job is occasionally getting to meet some of the people we see on TV. I've had the fortune of meeting Jasika Nicole twice, and can honestly say she one of the nicest, most enjoyable people to be around on the planet.

– Did you cry? Admit it! You almost did!

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Yes, I really enjoyed this one. The only thing that makes me grimace is the constant implying in this show that everyone loves Alt-Olivia better than our own Olivia and has so much more fun when they're around her. But then why wouldn't they? I adore her too. And she is just a whole big bundle of fun. I just wish they would let our Olviia lighten up a little. I know her habits are ingrained as the result of her childhood, but, please, just a few brightly coloured clothes now and then and a more flattering hairstyle would do wonders.

But enough of that. Minor issue. The Astrid story was adorable and the two Astrids amazing to watch. Jasika did such a wonderful job of portraying Astrid B - her confusion, her vulnerability, her shyness and the developing relationship with Walter was sweet.
FINALLY someone reacted to seeing their universe counterparts the way I would, with a high pitched shriek!

I also did not miss the Peter trying to return home storyline, for I thoroughly enjoyed watching Universe A/ Timeline B Walter getting frustrated when Peter kept doing the majority of the work. Their relationship is just getting stronger.

However, my favorite part of this episode (besides the Astrids of course) was the interaction between Universe A/ Timeline B Walter and Timeline B Fauxlivia. Their interplay was brilliant, especially the "Are you flirting with me".... "In your dreams"! The actors are doing such a fantastic job playing their alt-selves, and watching them do this every week is a real treat.
For me, Making Angels, is a different episode of Fringe. The item emotion, was the focus of the main plots presented. And the "culprit" for it was the Jasika Nicole, with its excellent performance, playing the two, Astrid. And if Olivia is not very fast, Bolivia will "win" the heart of Peter. It is, expect to see ...
One favorite episode of the entire season for me because it was all about the Astrids. Alternate Astrid was just too cute.

Now that the Observers know about Septembers mistake I wonder what kind of action they will take.
I really loved this episode. Jasika Nicole as both Astrids was nothing short of amazing!
I really love this show but Im getting a little frustrated that we are only get a piece of the puzzle we all desperately want, all in the last 30 seconds of the show.
Almost cried. Great episode, amazing plot. LOVE FRINGE! Please don't be canceled!
What about probably an important line I picked up on. When they're in the hospital room with the cell phone talker, they ask him if Neil predicted this would happen.

He responds with, "Not exactly. But I guess exactly doesn't really matter now."

To which, Peter kind of ponders. I think we're getting closer and closer to a Peter stuck in this timeline, trying to change from within, sort of ending to the season.
Loved the episode.. I actually love the Alt Astrid more now..call it Empathy.

The implication of the snitct-observer snitching on September to the Older observer makes me wonder about that gunshot wound September had when he talked to Olivia. The snitch aslo said "we found another one" when the " indicating there are more of the blue rod thingy or another seer or....!?..what did he mean?
Finally an Astrid-episode! Now just waiting for that Nina-centric to happen.
Just a quick thought... is the monotonous tone in alternative astrids voice not a bit similar to that of the observers? wild swing.. but still....
This was not only instantly my favourite episode of the season, it is quite possibly my favourite episode of the entire series (and at the very least top 3). 'Nuff said.
I've been calling for an Astrid-centric episode for as long as I can remember and by God if it wasn't the best episode of the season so far.

Astrid is fantastic and, as you said Tim, the only normal one of the group, so it was great to see her interactions with her alternate. And yes, he reaction to seeing her alternate was fantastic (as was Olivia's response).

This entire episode was very well written, I agree with you Tim, that Neil's demise needed more... I'll go with gravitas. There needed to be more of a reason/consequence to his death.

I also love fauxlivia. That cheeky/naughty side she has is really sexy. I was wondering if Peter would ever mention the fact that he and fauxlivia had an (unbeknownst to him) affair in the original timeline resulting in their Son, but I can never remember if Peter ever found out about this - I'll have to speed up my re-watching of the first three seasons.

I have a feeling, due to it airing on a Friday night, that Fringe will (once again) miss out on TV.com's Swell/Hell of the week, but for me this episode was the highlight of the year so far.
As a matter of fact, Peter never knew about his son ... It seems that the baby was just a plot device to activate the Machine. Don't get me wrong, I love this show, but if the original timeline is never restored, this baby arc will never be explored like it should have, and that'd be a waste ! Come on, three generations of Bishop boys, that would have made quite a messy and thrilling family drama, and Fringe IS a family drama, after all ...
I feel entirely the opposite way. If the original timeline is never restored the greatest result will be no more baby in the plot. Yay!
astrid is awesome! :)
Team Astrid!!
The Observers use a magic glowstick? Super lame. I much preferred it when I thought they were magical/mystical beings.

So I really want to know the back story for S04 universe/timeline/AU. What sort of shenanigans did Boliva get up to while she was "here" and S04 Olivia was "there?" How much did she mess with Walter and what did she do with her time without Peter here for her to sleep/get preggo with. Interesting, though, to know that some plot events happened no matter what.

Kind of liked seeing one of the Observers which we "know." I wonder if these are the same dudes as S01-03, or if the Observers are changed this season. Sure, they experience TIME differently, but do they also experience UNIVERSES differently? In short, is this the SAME December as past seasons?

Would it really have been so hard to add one extra little word to the end of the episode?!?! Just change that line to "the boy is back HERE" or how about "the boy is NOT back" or "the boy CAN'T (be) back" or "the boy CAME back" or "the boy is TEMPORARILY back" or anything else which would give us a clue as to whether we should be subscribing to the same-universe-altered-timeline or different-yet-parallel-universe-entirely or red-plus-blue-equals-amber-which-will-become-black-universe theory.

Yes, me too. That was the frustrating thing for me in this one. I harboured hope that this would be the episode where we would get the details on what exactly happened and how it differed from earlier. Very disappointed they didn't choose the obvious place to tell us. In particular, why did we cross over to the other side if it wasn't to rescue Peter? Or did we? Did they send AO over here and swap the two of them in our universe, instead of theirs?
It was SUCH a good episode! Funny and heartwarming; exciting and a little freaky. But when isn't Fringe?

I love Astrid (both versions) all that much more now :)
Fringe has a unique ability to show the world in the most complex and substantial ways while also focusing on the most basic and fundamental elements that make us who we are.

Furthermore, I will attempt to marry Fringe with String Theory. Here we go.

Understanding String Theory is extremely difficult at best. However, it does have a basic premise in a very wide sense. Stephen Hawking, along with many other brilliant theoretical physicists, believe that M-Theory has the best chance of linking quantum mechanics with Einstein's beloved general relativity. M-Theory combines all of the 5 String Theories into one and the different theories are seemingly the same observation, they are just told/seen/experienced from different perspectives. According to the theory, there are 11 dimensions. The four we can detect are length, width, height, and time. The 7 other dimensions we cannot detect. Unfortunately, testing these theories is essentially pure mathematics. Even though the numbers typically add up nicely they cannot be observed or physically experimented on. I won't go any further into M-Theory or String Theory.

Maybe Peter is the savior of the multiverse and The Observers experience the world differently because they are aware of more dimensions than most people. Maybe some of those dimensions are other worlds similar to ours and just as vividly real.

That is the best I can do. I want you to know that I worked hard on this post and I am not quite sure what that says about me as a person. Thanks.
Such an amazing episode! And I completely agree with everything you've said. I love the alternates interacting, and my God, my God, I love, love, love, love alternate's Astrid.
amazing ep. one of the best so far this season, Anna and Jasika were amazing!
fringe is an aweful aweful show, any1 who likes this show deserves to have their TV taken away
no one deserves such a horrible thing! even if you like shows like glee, which I assume you do... well okaaaaay, maybe it's just you who deserves it, we can make exceptions you know!
you can watch american idol instead! it's obvious that you can't understand this kind of shows so.. enjoy american idol!!!

FRINGE is not for everyone!!
Do you really wanna people flagging your comment here?
haters gonna hate!
Not a bad episode. There were a few interesting contradictions, though. For example, the idea that you cannot change what's to come, even if you alter slightly how it comes about. For example, he tells the business guy that he's going to have a car accident that severs his spine (due to talking on his cell) and wants to help the guy out, but ends up inadvertently being the cause of the accident. That was a nice touch, but then if that could not be changed, how could he change the futures of the others by taking them out? If you could see all past, present, and future, could you really change anything? He knew he was going to die when he did, right? So again, should he have been able to alter the futures of the two he killed?

And yeah, the Astrid touch was nice.
The theme of the inevitability of the future and the challenge to that inevitability has recurred several times this season: the inability of the husband to stay in a past where his wife has not been taken away by Alzheimer's in "And Those We've Left Behind," September telling Olivia that after examining every possible future she still has to die in "Back to Where You've Never Been," and the frustration of Emily Mallum in being unable to affect the disasters she envisions of the strangers she passes on the street in "Forced Perspective." Foreshadowing for things yet to come???
I agree with your point about September mentioning "every possible future". To answer smithinjapan question using this assumption, I like to make an analogy.

Think of future as a stable system and people variables in the stable system. Like a ball in a bowl. No matter how and where you drop the ball in a bowl it always converges and stops in the middle of the bowl (our stable system=future). So different routes of events can end up to the future that is most likely/stable. But given a strong enough force, that stable system can be over-ridden. To continue analogy, suppose that you throw the ball into the bowl with such a force that it rolls all the way and drops out of the bowl from the other side. Given that the death of human being is such a strong force, it can change the course of future and end up creating a different one.
The timelines are converging! Olivia will fall for Peter. So will BOlivia!
Jasika was brilliant, acting across from herself and just doing the damn thing! Glad she finally got her chance to shine as an actress.

Anna Torv is also amazing as Olivia and Fauxlivia, the differences b/w the two characters is astounding, i think Fauxlivia would be a lot more fun to be around, but I can definitely see why she puts Olivia on edge. She's a wild card for sure.
I want to meet Jasika. She's been such a consistantly entertaining character on Fringe, but we got more screentime for Peter, Walter(nate), (Faux/O)livia. I want to see Lance and Jasika get more screentime and backstory! I loved the candy-kid killing criminal and Broyles giving us something to see with his family.
One of the most compelling aspects of Fringe's storytelling is the subtle manner in which they slip themes or ideas in on the audience without the heavy-handedness so many other shows are guilty of. For me, this episode peaked when the Astrids were speaking prior to Fauxlivia and Astrid returning to the other side. Everyone at some point desires to be "different" or "better" or "more" and we saw Astrid succumb to this earlier in the episode when it appeared as if she was a little hurt and envious of how taken and impressed everyone was with her alternate. But as the two Astrids stood there talking, we watched her eyes widen as she realized that her alternate may be able to fly through complex equations and sort through data faster than a super computer, but she does not enjoy an emotional life that is nearly as deep and rich as Astrid's own; her amazing intelligence comes at a high cost which Astrid had not previously considered. In that moment we saw Astrid not only find acceptance and gratitude for herself and her life, but offer compassion to someone who might at times be viewed as a "better" version of Astrid but who in reality will continue to struggle with the very things she is able to take for granted. The fact that this "every-man" epiphany about identity and self-acceptance comes upon Astrid whilst conversing with her alternate from another universe is part of what makes Fringe so irresistible. This was a truly beautiful moment of television for me, and I appreciate the grace and poignancy the crew achieved in its delivery.

Also made me begin to wonder if the "me" from another universe was "better" in all the ways I have wished to be "better than" me, in what ways she might be "lesser than" me as I am. Which way would the scales tip? Would I like her? Probably. Unless that heifer is simply perfect and then we can all just hate her because no one likes perfect people.
Beautifully said. I often wonder what other universe me would be like, and I think this episode and this assessment of it have offered me some perspective. So thank you Fringe for 1) entertaining the crap out of me and blowing my mind [as usual] and 2) reminding me to appreciate myself for who I am in this plane of reality....and thank you emmiegirl for summing this all up in simplistic, yet elegant terms!
Finally! I've been waiting for this episode write up! How could was it?! It's the kind of episode that really brings out my inner Fringe-nerd. I absolutely adored it, because I adore Astrid, and loved the relationship between them both, it was perfect - one of the best of the season. I just love the glimpses of cute-Walter and cute-Olivia and cute-Astrid. So very exciting! And finally, some development of the Observers. All-in-all, VERY pleased with this ep!
I just wanted to say I really, really loved this episode!
Brava to both of the leading ladies. This episode really exposed just how talented a cast this is.

"The story also touched on concepts of nature versus nurture.."

Where nuture can undo nature, a lack of nuture can not be undone. Just ask any serial killer.
Interesting phrase. But please explain how nurture can undo nature? You mean by lessening our genetic flaws?
Yes, early physical diagnosis is just one aspect. The study of twins seperated at a young age as well. Also, the psycological damages done by the lack of a nurturing environment is now and has been a crippling factor in recovery of re-offending convicts seeking adult reform.

Those prisoners given the opportunity to earn a spot in a canine care program, and successfully complete the program are shown to be 4-6 times less likely to re-offend or return. I suggest you google prisoner canine training.
Another good night in front of my TV. With this new timeline, I wondered few episodes back if the "olivias swap" did happen. That question was raised after seeing Alt-Broyles on his two feet and not chopped of. So that swap did happen obviously but we still don't know how both olivias came back. If I recall correctly, Bolivia was made and then exchanged with Alt-Broyles body who had became a traitor by helping Olivia (who helped him before with his son) who understood her situation thanks to... Peter ? So it finally fits : no Peter, no way for Olivia to remember who she really is. Therefore the context of the end of the swap is still to uncover and does not include Alt-Broyle's death (maybe his replacement by the shape-shifter, if he's one of course).

Next week is not close enough :(
I got teary-eyed. Love Astrid, only sane, caring, real and constant character of the show.
I was also in love with her performance and if it wasn't for her the episode would've been boring.
You are absolutely right about wanting to put Jasika in your pocket and feed her like a baby bird. Since the very first moment I saw her on Fringe, she has been at the top of my list of adorable actresses, together with Zooey Deschanel and Alexis Bledel. Unfortunately I have always known very little about her, so inspired by this episode I went on a Google treasure hunt. I found out that not only is she an actress but also an illustrator, drawing all kinds of cool stuff. That's a plus in my book. She has also studied dance, which makes me hope that we'll see her use this talent in one of the upcoming Fringe episodes. She has a blog which she seems to update quite frequently for an actress. She is also gay, which of course I don't mind otherwise than that it kills my dream of ever marrying her.

Back to the episode. I was so, so happy to see an episode with Jasika in the spotlight! It was long overdue. But otherwise I have to say that I was slightly disappointed with the episode. (Using the word disappointed about a Fringe episode of course means something completely different than with other shows. Disappointed about a Fringe episode means it only gets an A-, when they usually get an A.) I was expecting something much more now that we finally got Astrid to be the centre of attention. I wish she would have been more central in the process of solving the case. It felt like the writers just wanted to have any excuse to put the Astrids in the same room after they had managed to do the same with the Walters, Olivias and Broyleses. So they made the always law-abiding Alt-Astrid suddenly pick up and leave to meet Astrid becuase she was distraught? Ok, that's fine, but I would have still wanted to see something more exciting. Like a case where the combined brain power of the two Astrids would have been crucial to solving it. A case where the two Fringe teams come together only to realize that the only ones who can solve the case are the Astrids. This felt like a filler episode which wasn't worthy of Astrid. I hope she gets a more prominent role in upcoming episodes. (One of the drawings on Jasika's blog depict Astrid firing a gun. That would be cool. Maybe a little out of character, but still cool.)

The Olivias also felt a little bit like a comic relief in this episode, especially the Alt-one. They had a few nice lines, for example the quip Tim mentioned, but still, was it important to have Alt-Olivia there? Obviously, in this episode, Alt-Olivia pointed out how handsome Peter is, which clearly was the reason for why Olivia's feelings woke up from their slumber, and made her clumsily tell him at the end how good of a partner he is. So Alt-Olivia had a place in the episode, but I still feel that her role was more of a nuisance than a benefit. You can always rationalize the presence of any characters in an episode by saying that "they had a purpose", simply because they are fun to watch. But sometimes it's better to remove a few so that they don't take screen time away from the important figures in the episode. And this time I felt Alt-Olivia was redundant.

It's not easy to say that I'm not completely satisfied with an episode of Fringe. I do it with a heavy heart. But as I said, it just means that the episode was only "almost brilliant" instead of "brilliant" as usual. I agree with all the praise Tim gave to the episode, but it still felt a little lacking. Even though the interaction between the Astrids was important and it developed both characters immensely, I still expected them to contribute even more to the episode. And while a lot of the dialogue in the episode was more light-hearted and fun than usual, some of it felt excessive and could have been left out in favour of some deeper dialogue. My note from the episode:

- How cool was it to have Alt-Broyles admit in the beginning that Alt-Astrid has the same security clearance as all the other senior agents? This little techie is actually pretty badass! It's always fun when a seemingly meek character is revealed to be in a position to do some major damage with her talent. Her computer skills combined with her security clearance means that Alt-Astrid is pretty much the spider in the (inter)web on that side.
Actually, Olivia began to become aware of her feelings for Peter two episodes ago, after he "saved" her from being sliced in half at the portal generator or whatever. After that she just started looking at him differently. I'd def say even romantically.
Call me crazy, but my impression of the scene with Neil shooting and completely missing Olivia was that he was shooting at the Observer he appeared earlier to Olivia in the theater when Peter and Lincoln crossed over. He appeared distraught and bleeding, stating that she had to die. Perhaps it was Neil's attempt to defy fate and the Observers all in one swoop?
That's an interesting idea, but it seems unlikely. I think we know Fringe pretty well to hypothesize that anything's possible. The question is, did Neil know about the Observers in the first place?? He was a mathematician who stumbled upon the device, but they don't tell us how he came across it.
Great episode with some amazing character interactions (namely Astrid/Bastrid and Walter/Fauxlivia). Jasika also knows how to act, maybe even up there with Anna and John.
It was great to finally get a backstory on both Astrids.

Before this episode. I thought universe B Astrid was technologically enhanced instead of having Aspergers or something related. Universe B to me looked a harsh distopian place before this episode with there Show me card and 24/7 surveillance, but there people look a lot nicer. Would they ever give some one with Aspergers (by what Broyles said it sounded she generally needs supervision) such a high security clearance in universe A. I know we have Walter, but that was a big fight to get him some clearance and he was responsible for Fringe activity.

Universe B isn't such a bad place. If only they had affordable coffee.
Peter should live in universe B and do Fauxlivia instead of "our" drab Olivia. She is probably better in bed , red is the new blonde , their health insurance is way better etc. I really had a sweet spot for Fauxie this weekend - for the first time actually.

Quite a touchy episode, but it was not even close enough to make me cry. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Last TV show making me cry was Alcatraz , does anyone guess why ?
well, i'm starting to think that the it will all end with the observers planning to erase all fringe division from existence. if you ca't erase one person, maybe erasing him and all his acquaintances will do.
Ohh Walter, in my dreams!

Is it weird that I'm starting to hope Peter never gets back to his timeline? I just want them to keep doing what they're doing, and I feel they've done cross-dimension meetings between characters way better than they have in the past.
Is there even another timeline?, didn't those observers just erase him but he forced his way back.
My thoughts exactly. It was Peter himself who tried to alter events by joining two worlds together through the machine to fix things. Even if he could somehow resurrect the "old timeline", why would he want to do that? Those worlds were destined to be destroyed. Also, Walter told Peter that fixing things comes with a price. This is the price: Peter being erased.
That's exactly what happened, from what we've seen. Amber is an alternate timeline, not an alternate reality. Makes you wonder how Peter will react when he finally gets it ( or the Observers tell him ) ...
Yeah they are all like: "what Peter said, there is another timeline and we have to help him get back there!" I can't wait for that reveal!
My thought exactly. I've had the impression all the time that what we are seeing now is how the world would have been without Peter growing up in it! Except of course that now Peter has returned to it because that one Observer is a slacker and didn't erase Peter properly. And I'm also under the impression that Peter doesn't understand this! He thinks he is in another alternate universe and wants to get back to his own were people are waiting for him. But he doesn't get that he is actually already in his universe, except that his existence in it has been erased so people don't recognize him.
I m with you. I don't think there IS another timeline. I m waiting to see how and when Peter realises this.
That's what I keep thinking - that this is the same timeline that has been altered because Peter was erased - but everyone keeps mentioning a different timeline.
Altering a timeline creates a new timeline. So removing Peter has created a new timeline.
An interesting idea re: the Walters switching places, but I don't believe that's true.

Fauxlivia is just more fun than Olivia. We've always known that. She's not emotionally withdrawn. She's a very outgoing person. So it's easier for everyone to get along with her than with Olivia. Walter I think just recognized a kindred spirit in Alt-Astrid-she's also a wounded soul. He saw that she was hurting and he connected with her-it helped that she was a familiar stranger so to speak.

So happy Astrid got an episode.
Well, both Olivias are supposed to be good, we had time to bond the the original even though she is quite depressing, but to repeat that process with Fauxlivia would be tedious, so I think that is why they made her very likable and easy going.
Super good episode. Blended comedy, philosophy, and a tragically touching final few minutes without missing a beat. And I agree--while I do savor the excellent overall arc and plots, I watch Fringe for episodes like these, that let the characters simmer and develop. Fun stuff. Exactly what tv should be.