Fringe: Why I Hate Faux-Livia

Last week, Tim posed a big question—Which universe do you prefer?—and I finally decided on my answer after watching last night’s episode, “Do Shapeshifters Dream of Electric Sheep?” I am on Team Blue Universe for one simple reason: Faux-livia (Anna Torv) is a jerk.

She has her reasons, of course. I’d probably be a jerk too if I were stuck in an alternate universe with such a complicated mission weighing on my psyche. But my main problem with Faux-livia is that she’s consciously taking advantage of the Blue Fringe Division. Our Olivia is not completely responsible for infiltrating the Red Fringe Division because she’s not fully aware of what she’s doing (care of Walternate, (John Noble) who's experimented on her and thus gained partial control of her actions).

To be fair, the Red Universe has a lot going for it; I’d love to live in a world filled with mega-advanced technology, Agent Charlie Francis (Kirk Acevedo), Colonel Broyles (Lance Reddick) in tight shirts, and The West Wing. But this is also the world from which Faux-livia and Walternate originated, and I just can’t get behind a team with such destructive intentions.

Last night, we saw Faux-livia get into some real trouble, which was actually really comforting because it means that the fake blonde is not going to be in our world forever. Sure, she may have seduced Peter (Joshua Jackson) and strengthened their emotional bond, but Peter isn’t stupid, either. He was honest with Faux-livia about how different she’s seemed since “returning” from the Red Universe, and his curiosity isn’t going to cease just because they did the nasty.

Plus, Shapeshifter Overlord Thomas Newton (Gordon Ramsay Sebastian Roche) is out of the picture now, so her already-tenuous grasp on the Blue Universe just got a little weaker. It’s only a matter of time before her cover is blown!

I’ll leave you to ponder these questions for the next three weeks; new episodes of Fringe return on November 4, which is fine by me because the Giants are in the playoffs! Go orange!

1. What did you think of “Do Shapeshifters Dream of Elextric Sheep?”

2. How far will Walternate get with his experiments on Olivia?

3. Will Peter be able to solve the puzzle of the Doomsday Box?

Follow TV.com writer Stefanie Lee on Twitter: @StefAtTVDotCom

I honestly don't understand why you would hate her. If you think about it, her universe sees OUR universe as the enemy. If the show had started off with her universe as the original and ours as the "alternate" we would be on her side. It's Walter's fault that the other universe has weak spots and is crumbling... I personally think that fauxlivia is a great character. Anna has been doing a create job of being both Olivias, subtly capturing the slight differences between the two. I like Fauxlivia because she is more easy going, funny, and yet encompasses all the attributes that make our Olivia great. With the new developments in the world of Fringe, I honestly don't know anymore wich universe I would like to see thrive. Right now, I am bending toward ours because I love our Walter and our Astrid, rather than the much duller versions of them in the other world.
I love Faux -Olivia; she seems to possess an inner strength that "wimpy" Oliva does not - In fact everyone in the Alt-Universe is more interesting - this stems from their seeming villainous, I think, and villains are always more fun.
Personally, I've always felt Olivia was a very dull protagonist. Alt-Livia is far more interesting and I look forward to her episodes.

I know it's never gonna happen, but in my ideal "Fringe," Original-Livia would die and Alt-Livia would take her place permanently. Her divided loyalties could make her a fascinating hero/villain. But all you folks who hate her can take heart--given where her character development is going, I'd lay two to one odds she dies tragically in the Season 3 finale. Probably saving the life of Peter, Original-Livia, Walter, or all three.
loved your review i hate her too and im so sad that peter couldnt realize it sooner im so sad for the moment our olivia finds out he did it with fake her.
Loving Anna Torv doing both characters! Awesome episode. ohhh and i just read for the first time about it having this long pause! noooo! what am i to do? hehe

ps. my fave part of your post is Shapeshifter Overlord Thomas Newton (Gordon Ramsay Sebastian Roche) HAHA
I LOVED this episode! It was fantastic!!! I'm gonna miss Newton, he was such a great antagonist!!! Sebastien Roche is awesome! As for Alt-livia, I don't hate her, but I'm not her fan either... She really gets to my nerves! Anna Torv does an amazing job playing the two characters!
I hate Alt-livia. But I love to hate her!
Not a huge fan of the Alt-livia, but you have to give Anna Torv mad props for really selling the character. Walter and Walternate have very distinct characters, while Olivia is being defined by nuances...Alt-livia is more confident and gung-ho, for lack of a better word, but the dedication and courage is still there. Still think that the Peter is smart enough to know that despite Olivia making a declaration in Over There Pt 2, she wouldn't just jump into anything with him...but I for one am willing to stick around for the ride...
Faux-livia, Bolivia, Alt-livia . . . whatever, the names don't bug me but the character does.
She's fake because she's impersonating the Olivia from our side, but I suppose Alt-livia makes more sense. One other point I had, I think it will be Ella, not Walter that figures out it's the wrong Olivia. She'll say something to Peter or Walter that will make it click in their heads, my bet is Peter.
Thank you irg19!! It's been my point all along. For some reason the concept of alternate universes flies over people's heads. She's not fake, she's as real as the Olivia from our universe. The only difference is their memories and life and the reason for such changes is because Walter ripped their world apart.
Why call her Fauxlivia? I don't get it, she's not fake she's just as real as our Olivia. Anyway I can understand why Olivia and the rest of the red universe have it our for our side. Their universe is severely damaged because Walter and William Bell created a rift between the two universes. They see us as the enemy.
I love seeing the red universe, but i too hate faux-livia. i wish they'd bring back ours and get it over with, i'm not digging on this switching storyline
GO GIANTS :)
First, I'd like to give thanks to this episode's homage to Philip K. Dick's great Sci-Fi novel, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" It was the inspiration for the hit movie and cult favorite, "Blade Runner" staring Harrison Ford. It also included very human-like mechanical beings torn between their duty and their desire to live as real persons. Here's why I LIKE Faux-Livia. She has a strikingly mischievious smile that suggests (to me at least) that Peter is going to be in for a wild ride between the sheets... the kind of antics that the real Olivia would be hard pressed to provide him. I'm not saying that the real Olivia would be boring. No. I'm sure those still waters run very deep. But that she'd certainly be more reserved than her Red Universe counterpart whom has so far shown no qualms for getting the job done, including pulling the trigger when necessary and fingering an ally to cement her infiltration. For one thing, Faux-Livia knows that she is 'making out' with Peter before the real Olivia gets the chance. That has to be a turn-on for her. Maybe not emotionally but certainly on some physical level. And she has to suspect that Olivia will be providing 'entertainment' for her Red Universe boyfriend as well... Hmnnnn....

Sure, her intentions clearly are to get Peter to accept her as the real Olivia. But it all comes down to if Peter can see through the facade in time to save Olivia and his adopted Universe from being destroyed. If Faux-Livia realizes that Peter might blow her cover will she be forced to dispose of him despite his importance to the Red Universe and Walternate's nefarious plans? And, as somebody else has mentioned, is Faux-Livia a shapeshifter? Curiouser and curiouser!
Just a few comments here: First I notice some people calling Peter stupid for not realizing that Fauxlivia is not Olivia, but if you really think about it, it's not that strange. Despite the fact that Peter and Olivia have always had feelings for each other, they have never actually been a couple before and we all know much like in real life, people are almost always different when first entering into a new relationship. If Peter and Olivia had already been a couple then I would have to agree that he needs a good bop on the head, but since that isn't the case, it's perfectly understandable to think that he is just seeing a different side of Olivia now that they are a couple. Now don't jump me for this...lol...but I think Fauxlivia is getting a bad rap. As much as I love and miss Olivia, Fauxlivia is just as dedicated to her job as Olivia is, and she thinks that she is doing what needs to be done to save her universe, I think that when she realizes that Walternate is evil and manipulating her and her team to do his dirty work, she will change sides.
Go Team Blue!
My prediction for the future: The teams in both universes don't actually seem all bad. I think they will get closer togther and try to resolve whatever problem they have. Sure Faux-livia is a witch, but already she hesitates about her mission, as Newton pointed out. I think she does has (or gets) real emotions for Peter which makes her turn over to the good side. The same goes for the red universe. Lee and Francis do not seem bad, they are just brainwashed by all the stuff Alter-Walter has said. And Broyles on the red side seems as collected as Broyles in the blue universe. So I think they will as a result of Olivias persuation (as soon as Faux-Olivias memories wear off) start working on peace between the two universes. What is the option? Eternal war? The destruction of one of the universes? The characters all seem to be nice and smart people, they just feel threatened by the other side because they don't have the information the other side has. It's like cold war.

And I'm definitely for Blue universe. It would be so typical to choose the red one just because it's different and exciting from ours. It's like when you ask people to compare one's own country to a foreign country. People always describe their own country with negative words and the foreign one with positive words. Whatever different always seems better, but that's just an illusion. Other places can be bad too, and that goes for the red universe. Sure they have nice gadgets, but they also have their problems. It seems to be a controlled society as a result of the actions by the Department of Homeland Security, and they have the polluted air thing too.
The last couple of episodes have made me assume that Faux-livia was replaced by a shapeshifter some time ago. The differences between her and the real Olivia are too extreme to be explained otherwise. Still loving the show overall though.
First of all I think it was a mistake to get rid of Newton, as commented below, Roche is a fine actor. It seems apparent to me that Peter is experiencing exactly what he described to fauxlivia. Despite his large intellect, his emotions are over-powering his reasoning. Hasn't it always been obvious that Peter has had feelings for Olivia? But he has also always been aware that were unrequited. Hence he pursued her sister as an approximate fix. It wasn't malicious, he isn't a 'player' but ultimately it didn't work because the sisters are so different. However, as soon as he put that candle out, it started the burn at the other end, with Olivia growing fonder of Peter. Olivia is a VERY guarded individual, which is why it might seem odd to some people that she suddenly loves Peter. She simply holds her cards very close to her chest but inevitably she showed her hand when there was a possibility that she would lose him forever.

Fauxlivia has made a huge mistake by sleeping with Peter to spite Newton. Peter may have indulged, after all she is the woman he wants, but this behaviour will doubtlessly wear on him. The cracks will widen and hopefully someone noticed Walter's little glimmer when he investigated Fauxlivia's hair? I'd wager that there is some sort of difference between the 2 universes environments to produce hair strands which are noticeably different to the trained eye. Her undoing will come from Walter, Massive Dynamic science guy (can't remember his name) or Olivia's bowling buddy.
peter is extremely stupid, actually. he might be a science genius, but can't tell an elephant from a cow...
i don't like altlivia. i know the creators wanted to make us feel equally about both universes because they both have their good reasons to believe that the others are the bad guys, but i doubt i will ever feel sympathy for walternate or altlivia! we still say "our"; olivia because she wiil be our olivia no matter what.
i'm really upset they killed off newton, he was such a great character! sebastian roche is brilliant! they tend to kill great characters like charlie francis, they should think about that twice!
anyway, i hope things go back to normal soon. i'm liking this season so far, but under the assumption that this situation is only going to be temporal. i miss olivia-peter-astrid-walter solving cases. i miss OUR olivia!!!!!!!!!!
The guy has an IQ of 190 something, so I don't know why he doesn't think: she seems like a different person.......maybe she is.
i am only for now watching the alternate universe and reading about our one because i really don't like fauxlivia but i really miss peter and real walter i just want it to go back to normal
About the red Universe, Walternate was holding Olivia and experimenting on her because she is can move between universes without being effected, So WHY Faux-livia didnt have the headaches and the effects of moving to the other universe ??????????
Best episode of the season so far. It solidified my love for the Blue Universe and our team. I can't wait for Fauxlivia to die, seriously, she's painful to watch. Other than her, the rest was an amazing hour of television.
I hope we don't alternate episodes for much longer, because Charlie Francis is not an adequate substitute for Peter and Walter and he's the only good thing in the episodes in the Red Universe.
Loved this episode!
1. Great episode once again, I can't believe Peter rattled off all of the differences he's noticed about Faux-Livia yet still hasn't figured it out, Soooo Frustrating!2. I believe the real Olivia will play along seemingly helping Walternite in his goal to form a gateway to the other side, but at the penultimate moment will use the resources they've given her and cross over herself.3. Eventually. Finally, I really do hate Faux-Livia, everything about her is a little off, even her hair color doesn't seem right. I really hope they kill her in some fantastical fashion.
yes, until she dies, and yes. this show is great people, just amazing, best out at the moment
This was an excellent episode! Walternate will go all the way! Peter will solve the puzzle but there will be a price paid, and Olivia that is infiltrating the Blue Reallity is fun to watch sweat when she is caught in tough situations. I can't believe she hasn't been caught yet!
Faux-livia is driving me nuts too. Please, expose her, kill her and be done with it already.
I'm team Red Universe for one reason, Agent Charlie Francis. He was killed off in the blue universe and now only exists in the red one. His character seems to be the same in both universes and he was one of the few other people that Olivia had to talk to, since his death in the blue universe Olivia only really speaks with Peter. If they can bring Agent Francis over to the Blue universe but until then, I'll stick with the red universe.
i like the blue fringe team better and i like the real olivia much better, i really miss the real olivia in the blue universe because this fake olivia is bothering the crap out of me!!! i hope we will see the real olivia soon back with her real team in the blue universe.
i like the old olivia thiis fake olivia is driving me crazy.hopefully our olivia well relize whats happening to her in the alternate unverise and snap out of it nad get out the red divison
When did the characters on the show start referring to her as "Bolivia"?? Newton referred to her by this moniker a couple of times last night.
wow Bolivia is more evil than i imagined. And im going to miss Newton loved the actor playing him.
1) I was largely unhappy with the episode as a whole. 2) It was my belief that our Olivia was making a conscious decision to have been playing along in their universe. Maybe it will still turn out that way or maybe that's just me wishing for less drama.
3)Least interesting plot point ever.
I prefer the name "Olivi-alt" to "Faux-livia." :)

I loved the episode, and especially the title, very clever.
Walter was brilliant this episode, so that solidifies the blue universe for me, Walternate lacks the crazy. I don't think Fauxlivia is supposed to be very likable yet, but I trust that to come later in the season.
This episode was similar to August. The half machine half human from the other world falling in love with his fake wife and son was great =)
i don't know... the episode was little bit slow... well for some reasons i like more red univere coz it's more harder.. the thing is , i wonder how much episode's do we need to set everything else in normal place? I need the war bettween these two sides. ( p.s. I love season 3 - weel i think it's more better then second ;) )
Couldn't agree more. Alt-livia is a total jerk. She killed that deaf guy 2 weeks ago, and then made out with Peter to cover it up. On a baseball note, I'm a Mets fan (sigh) so I despise all things Philly (except Sunny), so go orange indeed!!