Fringe: Yeah Science!

Fringe S04E21: "Brave New World: Part One"

Hey Fringe, slow down! Jeepers creepers, part one of the Season 4 finale, "Brave New World: Part One," was a mouthful, starting out like a normal case-of-the-week episode before churning out one of the most heavy, action-packed, stakes be high-as-a-kite episodes the series has ever produced. And you'd have to be high as a kite to say everything was perfect, because as thrilling and entertaining as it was, there was something off about it that kept it from being great. But there's still an hour left in Season 4, and it's still one of the most anticipated hours of Fringe ever.

The case that got things going involved infecting former Lost actors with nanites, one of science-fiction's favorite theoretical sciences because the special effects required to visualize it are nil. Tiny robots were replicating inside people, and kinetic energy was heating up those teeny-tiny bots to the point where they'd make adorable little explosions that killed their hosts. Translation: If you move, you die.

But all that was just a device to put us on the trail of the episode's first huge-gantic jaw-dropper. Walter got a good look at the nanobots and saw that they were Chimeric in structure (I noticed that too)...and he knew only one man could have made them that way, and it wasn't David Robert Jones because DRJ is too stupid. It had to be the work of William Bell, Walter's old partner who "died" years ago. Moments later, the exaggeration of Bell's death was confirmed when DRJ met with Bell in a secret lair with a cool-ass chessboard that was perfect for heavy-handed metaphors. Seriously, I hate chess metaphors. Why not Candy Land or Chutes & Ladders? I gasped AND groaned when Bell said, "A bishop must be sacrificed." On one hand, the thought of Walter of Peter dying sucks, on the other hand, come on, Fringe, you can do better than that.

However, I have to hand it to the Fringe showrunners. It was just Wednesday that they dodged questions about Leonard Nimoy's future role in the series to the tune of "we're trying to get him back," so I wasn't expecting Bell to return so soon, if at all. And you know what? It was great to see Nimoy on-screen even though I'm convinced he's actually the animatronic Abraham Lincoln that escaped from Disneyland's Hall of Presidents. Plus, he makes a kick-ass enemy (if indeed he is an enemy). Good villains don't think they're villains, but believe they're doing something good. This could be the case with Bell, because I believed Nina when she said Bell would never do something as crazy as destroy two universes to create a third universe. Or maybe he has a God complex and really does want to press the reset button on life as we know it.

From there, "Brave New World: Part One" took off like a greyhound on a missile on a rocket, though the sting was taken off of Walter trying to prove that Bell was still alive by the fact that, you know, we'd just seen that he was still alive. Sometimes the audience knowing things that the characters don't know works, sometimes it doesn't. This was one of those "doesn't" situations, though there was so much more going on that I'm just nitpicking.

One of the coolest things going on was Olivia's transformation from plain old FBI agent to The Human Thermostat and a Super Xbox Kinect Controller. She cooled off Jessica to save her life just by holding her hand and concentrating, and she remotely controlled Peter to kick the snot out of David Robert Jones (embarrassing for Peter that his girlfriend had to save his life like that). Her Cortexiphan was kicking into high gear, allowing her to become the super subject that Bell and Walter had always hoped she would be. There's some weird stuff going on between Bell and Olivia. Obviously Bell was triggering her hidden powers, probably with that literal bell he used to ring, but why? If last year was Peter's time to step up and fulfill his destiny, it looks like this year is the Year of the Olive.

One thing the episode relied a bit too much on was the hooey science that Fringe sometimes asks us to accept without question. Bell's plan of bouncing around sunbeams to concentrate them into a single ray of super light, which may have just been a really complicated distraction to set a trap for Olivia and Peter, was a bit much, and Walter's regenerative lemon cake with pig-brain center and Cortexiphan frosting was a lot much. I'm sure there was a more believable way to get to Bell than regenerating biological matter on St. Claire's visitor log and tracking down the oils left from almonds back to the importer that Bell frequently purchased almonds from decades ago and discovering that not only was the importer still there, but in the same place where Bell's super plan to create a third universe full of porcupine men was being hatched. The guy's nuts about his nuts, I guess. Wacky stuff. Read this paragraph over again if you aren't convinced. Yes, that's what happened.

Then came the moment where we hung on to dear life by our fingertips as the floor dropped out from beneath us. Walter and Astrid headed to A-1 Imports to see if Bell had been there, but instead they walked right into Bell's headquarters. Those crates holding the porcu-people that were on the boat from a few episodes ago were there, as were a bunch of guys carrying guns. Either these were the best almonds in the world and they needed heavy security, or these guys WEREN'T SELLING ALMONDS! It was the latter, Astrid discovered, so she did some kung fu (yes!) on the guys and ran off with Walter, dodging bullets shot by those men with guns who just so happened to be really, really bad shots. Like HORRIBLE shots. But it was still plainly obvious that something bad was going to happen. ASTRID GOT SHOT, and every Fringe fan who doesn't have a heart as black as night screamed. I would rather see a real-life person die than see Astrid, a character on a TV show, die (only sort of kidding). Nooooo!!! Whyyyyyyyy!?!?! However, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say she makes it. The old saying about Fringe? This is Fringe, no one REALLY dies. Except Charlie. And Other Broyles. And Other Lincoln. And that dwarf in the subway whose head exploded. And half the population of New England.

So that's what happened in "Brave New World: Part One." Again, it wasn't perfect, but hoo-boy did it move at a sizzling pace and deliver major developments! I'm going to wait until the second half to make a final judgment (you don't review only the first half of a movie, right?), but so far it's a thrilling, if far-fetched ending.

Notes from the Other Side

– What was up that orderly's ass at St. Claire's, antagonizing Walter like that? Someone needs to shove a nanobot suppository up his ass and throw him in a microwave.

– St. Claire's may have dickish janitors or whatever, but it also has some SEXY administrators! Hubba hubba! Who is that filly? I'd like to dig through her records and write my name in her visitor log if you know what I mean. What? That's John Noble's real-life daughter Stephanie Samantha? Ummm. Sorry, Mr. Noble. What I meant to say is that she's very lovely. (Thanks for the correction, SalKhayer)

– I'm not one of those people who is going to complain about product placement. In fact I find it kind of amusing in Fringe. I kept waiting for that pay-by-phone Sprint feature to amount to something more, but nope, it was just that. Fine by me if it helped Fringe stay on the air.

– Peter and Olivia had a great in-bed moment while apartment hunting. Olivia is getting baby crazy! She wants a nursery. Though later, she acted a bit hesitant after wondering if they could lead normal lives. I'll answer that for you, Olivia: Remember those porcupine people, the telepathic mold, the giant slug parasites, the alternate universe, and every other case you've worked on? No, you cannot lead a normal life. But make a baby anyway, the universes depend on it.

– I'm a little confused about DRJ's death. First, that was a pretty weak way to go out for a master villain. I guess with Bell now the uber-villain, we can just let DRJ go? Second: How did he die, exactly? He got punched, then shocked, then half his face fell off? So was there some weird connection to the other timeline when he was cut in half trying to cross over that caused him to lose part of his head here? I wanted a better send-off for him.

Billy Idol's "Eyes Without a Face" as muzak actually sounds pretty good.

– Walter: "So peace out!" Too awesome.

I'm concerned at the lazy writing that showed itself in this episode & the previous one.

*> A sun-focusing device is going to destroy all of Boston, so the FBI sends a team of.... 2 people?

*> It was all an elaborate trap so that the incredibly resourceful evil genius David Robert Jones can personally assassinate Peter Bishop with... a crowbar?

*> Cops/guards on a rooftop make Olivia drop her gun, but ignore the deadly bone-crunching fracas on the next roof, only a few feet away?

*> Traces of almond oil on a visitor's book from 20 years ago lead Walter & Astrid to the importer who supplied the almonds (20 years ago), and by an amazing coincidence, this same abandoned building is now where Bell has his universe-conquering HQ?

Man, I am so disappointed.

Are all the good writers on strike?

Did they have to write the last 3 episodes in 3 days or something?

This used to be a good show that made sense.

I watched an old episode of Sliders yesterday that had less holes in the plot, and that's saying something!

WTF?? Terrible writing ep!! what about those policemen who stop olivia from firing her gun but stay put when two men are killing themselves on the other building???? is the writer of this episode the intern?? and where do they come from anyway? they do nothing while Olivia is manipulating the antenna but appear when she pulls out a gun?
Enjoy part 2 everyone!

(tv.com, please sort out this terrible login here......... not jumping out the text box cause the user isn't logged in. Do what other sites do and take the user to login after they submit message)
i have to say about the all DRJ lame ass death

i watched the episode again and all DRJ said is

when bell told him to scarfise the bishop is

"I tend to it"

that does not mean he had to try and kill bishop himself

he could have had one of the shapeshifter do it or one of the guards

this was so idiotic

I love DRJ and I love that they brought him back this season

he was doing fine without any shadow boss

if there is one character that i would mine killing of is Astrid

the most useless character in the show the only thing worse

than Astrid on the show is Astrid in the red universe

which is not only useless but annoying as hell

I thought Olivia's powers were very cool...... and we've been building up to that. The depth comes from knowing why she has those powers.

The 2nd time I saw this ep, I didn't think the death was silly. He dies from electric shock. Still, the oddity of him only have a metal stick was still there.

Astrid is awesome. We know she's in the future episode, but things can change...... But I agree with everyone here..... I really hope she is back. My guess is that the Lemon Cake healing itself was significant here.

What surprises me most is that there are not more comments here........ There should be loads more for such an awesome show.
I don't know what is happening right now but after that awesome episode of future universe .

Now this?!

- Olivia new boring ability... has no depth in the story!

- Killing a villain in a cartoon-ish way after being bored by his annoying accent!

- One of the cutest characters in this show killed in a stupid and a funny way !

My, you bore easily, what a gyp for you...
Watched it for a 2nd time, and still it was like a roller-coaster ride, even knowing what to expect.
EASY BAKE OVEN!

I about fell out of my chair when Walter's lemon cake was in a relic from the 60's? 70's?

I hate sprogs but loved the bit about the nursery. It was like Olivia was dictating, not asking, but Peter was all about it.

Astrid had better live. Or I may have to come up with some Cortexiphan Jedi whup ass of my own.

I really thought the dialog during the chess scene was right up there with the rainbows craps from last week, but Nimoy sold it.

Walter seemed awfully bossy in this episode. Like he was on fire (yes, because Bell was alive) but maybe it broke down for the reason you said, we knew but the characters didn't.

Too many balls in the air questions. Will have to wait until Friday to see which ones drop.

Leonard Nemoy came on this damn show, but not to the William Shatner roast. What the hell.
Rumor has it Shatner is a royal prat. That may have something to do with it.
He likes this show...
Totally predicting that Olivia uses her power to make Peter shoot her.

I also really do not like William Bell right now.

Astrid will be fine- remember that lemon-pig brain cake? Yeah that'll get used to close up that bullet hole.

How to explain that Nina saw Bell's dead body? Not sure. Was it his alternate? It would not surprise me if he had traveled to the other universe and killed his other self (remember how the other universe had never heard of Bell? At least, that is what I remember) Yeah, so used his poor alternate as a body double so he could lie in wait and plan out this insane plan of his...if the guy can wait 20 yrs for a chess move I am sure he can hold out for something SUPER important.

I think because of DRJ transporting himself out of prison his body was pretty weak, so getting the crap kicked out of him and electrocuted probably did some serious damage to whatever parts were affected by that device. Remember he had to spend a lot of time in a special chamber and such after he escaped?

Perhaps Olivia is the key to destroying the universes...anyways, she can't die of course, we have next season to look forward to right? The fact that I am unsure about whether or not Olivia will die goes to show how the writers of this show have done a great job. I wouldn't put it past them to sacrifice her at the end of this season or at the very least give us a cliffhanger that involves a bleeding Olivia cradled in the arms of a Peter who is crying for help. It is also possible that she gets shot, and heals cuz cortexifan does that. The bullet their daughter had might not have actually killed Olivia...Olivia could also be technically dead for a few minutes until Walter and Peter do some fancy lab-work to bring her back. So many questions!! Hopefully some answers will be coming this Friday!!!
Do you think the orderly that was hassling Walter was real? Or just a figment of his imagination? It wasn't clear anybody else saw him. When Peter looked back, it didn't look like he saw anyone there.
I had conflicting feelings at the end of the episode. I was desperate for Part 2 to start right away, but I don't want this season to end either.
Product placement? Nah. I thought it was Sprint that caused people to go up in smoke. Ridiculous, right?
I was really surprised to see Leonard Nimoy, in fact the first time he appeared I watched the scene again just to make sure he wasn't some CGI trick or something. Ever since he announced his retirement from live acting, the best I can expect is voice work, like he did in The Big Band Theory. Then I went to the initial credits and saw that "Special Appearance by Leonard Nimoy" credit, which I had missed first.

Since DRJ's departure was sort of lame, the writers were expecting Nimoy's appearance to be the biggest, and perhaps only, payoff of the episode. It was great, I admit, in spite of the many flaws the episode had and which were pointed out by Tim's review. I', too, will wait for the final episode to form a final judgment.
And where in hell is fringefanatic, in another universe this week, hey, I wanna know what he thinks...
I can't believe all the negetive comments about this episode on here this week. I think it's just that a lot of people's predictions and theory's have gone by the wayside and it's pissing some of you off. If you love Fringe, It's because they've done a great job to this point and you should embrace it and not want to write it yourself, but let them do it, until they show us they can't. And I believe that they can. As a writer myself, I found this episode quite good and well-written and I didn't see anything lazy about it at all. It's fun to bounce theorys and predictions around and even complain some, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And this don't need fixing as it consistently goes from the very good into the often brilliant.
I think it has more to do with the bar being set so high. Most 'negative' comments are really only negative by comparison to the brilliance we've come to expect.

As a writer, surely some flaws are apparent to you. This is one of the very few times that word could be used when discussing Fringe.

I won't rehash Tim's comments, so I refer to his description of how Walter found Bell, and comments re. DRJ attacking Peter with a metal bar. Nothing wrong with it by current TV standards, but below par compared to the usual very high Fringe standards. Probably due to needing to get so much story in.

I certainly would not use the word lazy though. This episode was packed. The pace was just full-on from start to finish.

I'd like to highlight was I consider brilliant moments though. The way Astrid got to show the FBI agent in her, the way Olivia used her powers, and Walter's determination (alluding to the future episode?).
And to add to your wonderful comment, I've never actually seen unflawed writting, except for mine, which is always initially enhanced by ego making it perfect in the mind's eye. Eventually that wears off and we see the flaws as we all do in Fringe. To that I say, But Oh what a ride...
Very nice and thoughtful rebuttal, thank you my Fringe feathered friend...
My boyfriend had a theory - do you think Bell put the evil parts of Walter's brain in his own brain and that's why he's evil now? Cause they went missing didn't they?
Interesting thought, although it's doubtful, DNA being what it is...
Do you remember the future episode from a couple of weeks back? Walters evil brain bits are still at Massive Dynamic, they re-planted it in future Walter and he turned into a dick. That's also how we know that Astrid lives (God I hope she lives).
Oh yeah! Argh. It's so easy to forget things =s
I definitely feel like it was a pretty anti-climactic end for DRJ.

Nimoy's surprise reappearance isn't really doing it for me after all this time. his seemingly having been a good guy, then dead twice or three times. having been just an animated voice and then only alive via olivias impression.

i didn't get that product placement at the time and it pisses me off now/ because of that whole pay by phone thing i thought were were somehow back in the future with the entire crew but without observers everywhere for some reason. i have to say that makes the second most distracting product placement in a show and again the first was the fringe steering wheel shot >.<
The product placements in Fringe never bothered me much.. Whatever keeps the show on the air. But the most distracting product placement award has to go to Bing in Vampire Diaries!
My Astrid better not be dead! If anything happens to my wife I will boycott Fringe. She's the most innocent character, hardly gets any screentime, is everyone's Errand Boy, gets called "ALEX" by Bishop (to quote Astrid herself, "Seriously. Alex??" Short end of the stick every time and when she finally gets a chance to be awesome bad@ss FBI chick she gets SHOT?

Oh, woe is me.
Actually, she's my Astrid, and might I respectfully point out that she left the seriously off this time and only implied it, which lets us know the writer's are paying attention...
i think someone pointed out that she's alive in the future with the olivia and peters daughter timeline.
I am starting to wonder if that was the future or just another one off, what if.

I hope it was and Astrid lives. I will be one upset chick if she's gone. I wasn't too thrilled that Charlie went on permanent honeymoon but Astrid is my hero (assistants of the world unite!) so she had better be okay.
At the beginning of the episode, Astrid caters to Walter, buttoning up his jacket b/c she doesn't him to get cold. I thought it was odd to place emphasis on that comforting scene. I should've realized it meant she would get shot.
It was just Astrid being Astrid and her getting shot was a shocker to everyone, I'm sure. You could not have guessed, none of us could. And it would be a a serious case of writer cruelty to leave her alive only to die in the finale. And, of course we'd have to sue...
Even if "Letters of Transit" is part of the main story, there is no way that the ambering is about to happen to them. Olivia and Peter have to have a kid first. Also, I don't think they say that Olivia is dead in that episode, Walter just says "After what he did to her?" in reference to Bell. I think Bell is going to use Olivia like a cotrexiphan bomb.
Well she has to be. Where else could she be, because she clearly wasn't in the amber? And the Fringe agents of that time clearly said that they thought that all of the Fringe agents, except for the ones in the amber were dead. Also, no one missed Olivia or even asked where she was when she wasn't there.

And I disagree, I think the season is going to end with ambering thing. We'll have to see how they handle it. I suspect they'll jump forward in a time at least a little bit.

But I like the bomb thing, good prediction :)
I wonder if the way that Bell was shown in the Amber, if maybe he 'thinned' the amber, and then pushed Olivia out - maybe the Fringe team ambers themselves for some reason to escape the Observers / Bell, Bell says 'oh hell no..', thins the amber and pushes Olivia out, sacrificing himself in the process. Or, they have Bell prisoner, or he acts like he is working with them, they decide to amber themselves, and at the last minute Bell pushes Olivia out - this would make more sense because Walter knew what Bell did to Olivia. I picture Olivia chained up somewhere by the observers, or attached to some machine being used by them for nefarious reasons...
When I saw the "Yeah, science!" title I immediately thought of Jesse (Breaking Bad)! Haha :)
I think the idea with Jone's death was that because he had already suffered molecular damage from crudely crossing between universes that something like an electric shock could make him fall apart literally.

I assume that what we saw in the episode with the vicious Observers isn't a certainty but one possible future. After all, one of the recurring concepts in the series is that multiple universes and multiple time lines exist.

We've seen two universes so far, but in theory there could be infinite numbers with their own respective Olivias and Peters. Maybe what we saw is what the Observers have chosen to do in one time line in one of those universes.

I hope Astrid won't die. She seemed to get shot through the back and abdomen...
Oh and btw to all, calm down, Astrid not going to die. Or need I remind you that we saw her alive 20 years after this episode is to have taken place... :)
There have been some comments about this already. Mainly that, this is Fringe. that future ep. doesn't mean anything. They can change the future.

This is not driven by storylines. The decision as to whether she makes it or not is going to be about whether the actress is available for season 5. They won't kill her off is she is. Not with low ratings.
A possible future. There's nothing to say things will actually turn out that way. There are all kinds of decisions and events - major and minor - that could throw things off track and lead to something else. It only takes one.

That said, Astrid better not die. Just sayin'
Well actually the creators of the show said they were going to go with the plot line of "Letters of Transit" for season 5. So unless they changed their mind, which is doubtful since it was the very reason they were renewed, it really can't just be a possible future. Hence, Astrid will survive :)
i agree that she's not gonna die, but not because of seeing her 20 years from now... alternate timelines and all.
Although quite technically, they're aren't any more alternate universes right? At least accesible ones. The bridge has been closed and they made a pretty big deal that they will probably never be able to open it again. I theorize that they did this to in fact kill of Olivia, because now without an alternate universe, there really is no way to keep her if she dies in this (main) timeline/universe. But we shall see... :)
I don't understand what you mean. Why would they not want to keep her? And what difference would having the alt-verse make?

If it was to be the end of Olivia, that will have to happen at the end, which means it wouldn't matter if the alt-verse was there or not. She is and will be main cast whichever universe we are in.
Well all I know is that in "Letters of Transit" Olivia was clearly dead and the writers/creators of the show said that that was the plot line they were going with for season 5 so if that is true, than it would appear pretty evident that Astrid survives and Olivia dies. I think it also makes sense considering at the end of last season it was Peter who 'disappeared'. Now it's Olivia's turn. Maybe they find a way to bring her back, idk. But I would definitely be prepared to watch Olivia die in the finale of this season, as much pain as it brings me to say it.
Dear Mr. Surette, With all do respect you must not have watched the episode very carefully. Walter or Peter aren't going to die, Olivia is. That's what the Bishop line meant. They were talking about Olivia. And they've been setting up her death for weeks now (I mean they actually just flat out said it in "Letters of Transit")
The very fact that this is up for debate is testament to how mediocre the writing of this season finale was.
What? What you call "mediocre" writing I call ambiguity to create suspense. Alternatively, Bell set it up so DRJ would die. Unclear, but not because it's bad writing.
I don't understand your comment at all. It's supposed to be unclear, that's what good suspense writing is. Why would you want it to be clear before the end has even happened? lol
When Bell said Bishop needed to be sacrificed, DRJ understood it that one of the Bishops was to be killed (Peter or Walter). But when he was dying, he said "The Bishop was me" or something like that.

So I think that was the end of it and my guess is that Olivia represents another piece of the chess board :)
Oh and just to clarify, when he said Bishop he was pretty clearly talking to the chess piece in his hand which I'm almost sure was in fact a bishop. :)
Clearly he was telling DRJ to kill Peter. Not Olivia. Little did DRJ know that he was the target.

If Bell wasn't intending to put the double meaning on it for DRJ's benefit, he would have chosen a different piece.
No, there's no reason for him to kill Peter. Peter's not the one stopping their plan, it's Olivia. It would make no sense any other way. But I do agree that he was also sacrificing DRJ :)
Agreed on all counts, well analyzed :)

But yeah, I think that line was intentionally misleading. I will be curious to see how it all ends :)

Bell probably sicked DRJ to go after Peter so that Olivia could activate her full powers the way that she did. It worked before and it definitely worked again. The process is now complete. DRJ was the Bishop. He was the sacrifice.

Olivia won't die just yet. She hasn't even had her kid Etta lol
That makes sense! I was thinking what a lame way to kill of a baddie but the whole business about sacrificing your most important asset to open up many, many more possibilities makes a heck of a lot of sense now that I read your comment.
Wrong universe, sweetie, take a hike...
Alex fans are in shock today as our bewidered favorite heroine has a pill - bullet for those of you who weren't yet alive in the 20th century - in her and she could actually DIE! NO! NO! NO! NO! ASTRO NO DIE! Our beloved Walter still has many more wrong names to call her, and is she the cutest most adorable character on TV, since it began - And don't go saying it's Abby or Penelope or Chloe, or not even our sweet Claudia from some warehouse in North Dakota. - No, it's Astrid. There, I've said it...
Do you have any idea what Claudia Donovan would do to you if you called her "sweet"?
I'v always really hated DRJ storylines, I can't exactly say why. It's a 'here we go again' response. I don't mind him being gone. It's quite obvious Fringe is going towards the future episode, with the baby-talk and Walter hating Bell for something he has done we don't know yet. It sounds like this could be it.

Not really a great episode, I agree, I was a little bored with it and I don't necessarily get the "what am I becoming"-story. But knowing Fringe, the second hour of that finale will be mindblowingly great.
The title reminded me of "Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!"

I enjoyed this episode a lot, I had no idea Leonard Nimoy would be back, so that was great, so glad I didn't read the "Special Guest Star" credit he got in the opening, until the second time I saw the episode. Can't wait for the finale.
So let me get this right, DRJ pulled off this impressive plot to lure Olivia and Peter, by focusing the sun's rays using satellites and dishes etc. Then to finish off the master plan, he attempts to kill Peter.... WITH A STICK! OK, it was a metal stick... OK it was a meaty crowbar, but come on!

I love this show, and I love the way they come up with new ideas. I just think they got the 'B team' to write this ending for DRJ. It's a shame, but ney mind - let's just hope the second half of the finale is a little cleverer.
Yeah..... must admit I had to do a double take at that point....... Of all the ways a mastermind bad guy might try to kill someone, fury with a metal stick is not normally one of them. But it must have been hard writing all that - DRJ needs to lose, Olivia needs to help Peter win..... The writers would have needed Bell's mind for that one!
The DRJ ending was fine as they upped the stakes, loved his super villainy, but, hey, Darth Spock is here now, get over it...

DRJ was fine with it as he admiringly annouced that he, indeed was the bishop...
It seemed to me, though, that Bell sent DRJ after Peter KNOWING that DRJ would fail--the whole point was to get Olivia to continue using her cortexiphan mojo. I think that's why DRJ said at the end that he was the bishop; he was Bell's sacrifice. It's also possible it wasn't just to get Olivia to use her powers, but to get Walter to show up at his warehouse without her. Bell is a smart guy; he probably anticipated everything that happened.
I miss Season 3...
fourh ithink it is so lame for drj being as smart as he is to go and kill peter by himself

he does not have to do the dirty work he has workers for that
But Bell sent him. Isn't it possible that Bell sent him on PURPOSE to get beat, and to get Olivia to use her cortexiphan powers. The whole plot of this episode seemed like it was Bell engineering not only the end of his use for DRJ, but to get Olivia to tap into her abilities further. Made sense to me.
I think that is very clearly exactly what happened......
Duh...
First yhing this episode was really weak the all sunlight trap was a bit too much over kill to draw

olivia and peter or to kill drj what was the point of the all that

Second I hate that they killed drj he was a great villian and i rather see william bell as a good guy not his boss

Third dont make the observers the bad guys i really hate it if thats next season plot

I found this episode frustrating due to the lazy writing and the inability to remember that they work for the FBI, and therefore have vast manpower at their disposal. With two universes on the line, couldn't shouldn't Olivia, Peter, Astrid, somebody, anybody call for back up? I know forgetting you have cell phones is a overused tool in the modern television writers' repertoire, but come on! Haven't these procedure been drilled into Olivia and Astrid?!

As for Astrid's fate, if you listen closely, you can hear her saying "I'm not dead yet, I don't want to go in the cart."
This is a standard problem with Fringe. the fate of the entire universe is at stake and they have a crazy man, his son and an emotionally damaged FBI agent on the case. Nobody else. is the CIA busy or something?
The red shirts never get it done, we all know that. Have a little faith my Fringe feathered friends, next week will knock our socks in the dirt, trust me...
true, but they always seem to follow hunches on their own and only bring in backup if they know they are going after a particular suspect. idk why but that's the way they like it i guess
Plus I think they were kind of in a hurry--they had JUST discovered what was happening, and didn't really have time to mobilize a whole army of people to accompany them.
John Noble's daughters name is Samantha....

I hate product placement, the worst was Subway in Pawn Stars, but I really don't mind product placement in Fringe if that's what it takes to keep it around! And anyway, the Sprint product placement on Survivor is much worse!
One of my least favourite episodes, have to agree, too quick paced and too many rash decisions made. A shame for Jones to be dispatched so easily, maybe he was a bishop or a pawn but he was cast aside by Bell for too little gain. I got the sense that Fringe was summing up before the next season was announced.

Will always love the show though and a 20 years in the future season would be great.
I don't think Belly's actually evil. I think he is preparing for the fight against the observers. Remember the manifesto? Probably he believes the only way to win that fight is by doing a LOT of questionable thinks, going places that the Fringe team probably wouldn't be willing to go, so he is moving behind their backs. I also think that if the show had been cancelled, they would have an easy way out by making him the ubber-villain, but Bell actually being well-intentioned, although somewhat unconscionable, fits nicely with what is known about him so far.
I thought the episode was great! I didn't mind the sciency stuff. I honestly think all the complaints is nagging nitpicking. Honestly. This will go down as one of my favorite Fringe episodes, eve. It moved fast, had me on the edge of my seat the entire time, and had me screaming in shock at the end. If you wanna say it is over the top, you are just nagging. I mean, in case you haven't noticed, a lot of the things in Fringe are over the top. It's Fringe science...so, who cares? I'll buy it and accept it. They provide explanations. I'm not going to sit there and be like, "Come on, Fringe. YOu can do better!" No way. Who are we to say that? I mean can anybody here write a better explanation or do a better job? Nope. So let's stop the nitpicking. It was fantastically done!

Astrid better live.
Only one episode left in this season.. To quote the amazing, awesome, brilliant, one of the best characters ever Walter Bishop: "I think I shall miss them."
Future Astrid is alive so I think that she will make it.
Really needed that recap! It was like a train journey where everything just shoots by too fast!

It had to Bell, didn't it? But is he bad??????? I guess Astrid getting shot means yes......
One of the best reviews I ever read.
Hear, here...
i really liked the episode, I wish they would have delved more into why DJR was following Belly and for how long.

NOT ASTRID...

I think we are putting to much hope on the crazy future episode. They are not bound to anything that happened. And just because Astrid was alive then does not mean that is the timeline we are going to get.

Don't get me wrong, I think we will, but I am not pinning my hopes to it. I cannot wait till next week.
Great Episode

It's Samantha Noble

And Peter and Olivia were AWESOME
Favourite part: Olivia using her cortexophen powers to kick some ass!!
Here name is Samantha.. hacks..

Can I just say how happy I was, watching this awesome episode and knowing that I get to have another season and a satisfying conclusion to my favorite show. Peace out!
Am I the only one who expects the original Fringe universe to come back every week? Olivia started remembering things and at the same time forgetting things about the new universe where Peter never lived. Somehow I assumed the others would catch up, start remembering and the original universe would be back - there are so many lose strings in that universe. (What happened to Peter's baby on the other side? Does any one remember the fling between agent Broyles and Nina Sharp?) But I guess they can't really go back now, can they? If the world would go back to the original universe, there'd be no William Bell ....Oh how I wish they use season 5 to bring everything back together!
the other timeline isn't coming back. this is it. olivia just remembered peter because of how strong their love was. (like the episode about apartment 6B) Baby Henry is gone, because it's a new timeline, it's not a loose string. In this timeline, peter & liv are destined to have henrietta, and no fauxlivia involved.

there are some minor forgotten plot lines like broyles & nina, and the shady people who were mad peter was back in town, etc, but none of them are really that important to the real story and fringe has limited time left.
Astrid got shot, but nobody said she is actually dead, did they? maybe she will pull through.....

In the future with Observers she is alive so propably she will make it :)
In one possible future yes...
I'm a bit confused about how William Bell died in that universe. As far as I remember this is No-Peter universe still except for Olivia. and so he died of intented car accident. but how Olivia could remember it? she's now in Peter's reality doesnt she? I thought she lost her memory in no-Peter universe. and Wiliam Bell is superbad in that universe. coz in Peter's timeline he kinda helped Peter and Olivia. So confusing! And I think that DRJ is still alive. or will be relived by Belly. somehow. and if not it is a realistic way for him to go away. shit happens. so dude been electicuted or shocked whatev and turned into custard. I'm fine with that. it's not a hollywood blockbuster where villains just cannot die or go away with big explosion.
I totally agree. The episode was crazy, jaw-dropping, dynamic, and over the top. Which is a great thing, but also, as you said, there was something off about certain moments. The whole Sun beam thing, Walter on a crazy mission (which was a great adventure, so I just joined the ride with Astrid), and DRJ dying - I hope they will address the first and the third in the second part of the finale - it felt out of the blue, but if I learnt something, it is nothing comes out of the blue in Fringe.

And yeah, X-marked nanites - Hello Mr. X and Olivia's potential demise.
I know what you mean, on the other hand I loved the episode and on the other it almost felt like the show runners were trying to cram as much as possible into the two part finale - maybe thinking that this would end up being the series finale?
Or they will explore all of these things in the second part. Without the other Universe, this finale will basically be like a standalone film. Which is not a bad thing as long as it completes the whole story.
Load More Comments