Fringe: You Just Got Ob-SERVED!

Fringe S04E14: "The End of All Things"

A nifty bait-and-switch, an ultimate secret revealed in an incredible six-minute scene, fortunes told by looking through a frickin' holodeck, and a heart-crushing finish catapulted tonight's episode of Fringe, the ominously titled "The End of All Things," into the list of the series' must-watch episodes. Though we're still miles away from understanding everything that's going on, "The End of All Things" lived up to its promise of answering questions when it said it was going to. Not gonna lie, it wasn't a perfect episode, but as far as an engaging hour of television goes for a fantastic series, I wish I could smash my thumb with a hammer so it would swell up for a well-deserved uber-thumbs up.

We'll start with where we left off last week, with Olivia and Nina face-to-face in a dingy storeroom as prisoners of—as we suspected—Mr. David Robert Jones. Smarter people than me (read: you) may have thought otherwise, but my simple mind had this Nina pegged as the real Nina Sharp, with the Nina that Walter and Lincoln were suspicious of back at Massive Dynamics a shapeshifter. And this is why I'm not in the business of predicting television shows like Fringe (I'll stick with predicting The Bachelor: Courtney, duh!).

The truth was pretty far from that, in fact. Nina back at MD was telling the truth despite all the evidence against her. Nina in the storeroom with Olivia was a deceitful, lying doppelganger, but not one of DRJ's shapeshifting kids (at least, probably not). No, this Nina was Nina from the alternate universe in this timeline (at least, probably), the same Nina we saw instant-messaging with DRJ in "Forced Perspective" (we think). By the time Nina doubled over in pain and it was obvious she wasn't who she said she was, it was too late. I unknowingly took the bait four episodes ago, just as the show planned.

So Mean-a (the official name for alternate-universe Nina, as coined by actress Blair Brown herself) had been walking around as an imposter of REAL Nina, opening biometric security doors and stealing Cortexaphan to inject into Olivia while real Nina was oblivious to it all. How the two never crossed paths or how Mean-a kept track of Nina's comings and goings as well as her everyday interactions so as to maintain a false sense of continuity in the eyes of the public are the kinds of questions you're better off not asking yourself with Fringe (I've listed more of these types of questions in the "Notes From the Other Side" section at the bottom of this piece).

The dupe got the information DRJ needed, that Peter was essential for Olivia to tap into her Human Clapper power of being able to turn on lights without switches. And after Olivia sent the facility's electricity bills through the roof WITH HER MIND, DRJ and Mean-a portaled on over to the Other Side (or was it somewhere else? Another timeline? Another universe? Now I can't trust anything, especially myself). As a parting gift, Olivia sent a bullet through DRJ's throat, which did little more than give him the voice of someone who eats ashtrays. As if DRJ wasn't spooky enough before—now he can rebuild himself and also he talks like a phlegm monster?

But the big moment of the episode came about two-thirds of the way through, when Peter jumped into the mind of Observer September. Though the series has featured plenty of hooey science that I've had no problem buying into, I'm not a big fan of Fringe melding minds. But did the end justify the means? Yep and a half!

In the scene that was every bit important to the show's mythology as any that came before it, Peter hung out with unconscious September in a fancy time-traveling penthouse and learned the truth about the Observers: There's no Rogaine in the future and time-travel causes taste buds to dull! But more importantly, the Observers are scientists from the future—or to be exact, from one of "countless" possible futures. They have the technology to bounce back and forth across time and have made a hobby of watching significant events, like the Big Bang, weird happenings surrounding our Fringe team, and the Grateful Dead at the Capitol Theater in 1970. It was a scene that's sure to wear out the pause and rewind buttons of Fringe fans everywhere.

One thing that was a little hard to swallow was the idea that September basically screwed up the entire universe(s) because he wanted to watch Walternate play with some beakers to save his son's life. September's presence distracted Walternate from finding the cure for Peter's sickness, setting off a chain of events that we've witnessed throughout the first three seasons, including Walter tearing a hole between universes to save Peter, thus setting off a war between universes. On the list of the ten worst mistakes ever, that's somewhere between Mr. and Mrs. Hitler deciding to have a kid and ABC greenlighting Work It.

With September trying to fix things only to make more horrible things happen (I like to imagine it unfurling like a sitcom, with September playing the role of Lucy and the timeline acting like a conveyor belt of chocolates), Peter eventually had a kid with Fauxlivia—Henry, who was never supposed to be born. See, the original Olivia and Peter were supposed to be parents, for a reason we don't know quite yet. Let's hope Baby Henry turns out to be more important than Baby Aaron from Lost, because I'm still peeved about that. Anyway, September told Peter exactly what I was trying to tell him last week: Your Olivia is in the other timeline, bro! This new-old Olivia isn't the old Olivia!

That set up the final scene of the episode, which once again turned the Olivia-Peter love story on its head (how many heads does this thing have?). Even with the information about the Observers and Mean-a's double cross, this, to me, was the most important part of the episode. Call me a softy or a girly-man, but for me the heart of Fringe is the love story between Peter and Olivia, and the latest wrinkle saw Peter doing a 180 on his love for this Olivia and telling her so in the final moments before walking off and vowing to stay away from her, out of fear that he'd cause more harm. Of course, this Olivia thinks she's THAT Olivia, so the heartbreak on her part was devastatingly real. And yes, it started raining because all outdoor break-ups should happen in the rain. Brutal, but if you ask me, it was the right call on Peter's part.

Fringe now goes on hiatus for a month and will return in late March, leaving us to spend the next four weeks wondering what's ahead for Peter. He's more determined than ever to go home to his timeline, back to the arms of his Olivia, back to where he belongs. This is good stuff, guys.

Notes from the Other Side:

– One question about Mean-a and Olivia's heartfelt conversation: If Olivia figured out that the person she was talking to wasn't Nina in the middle of the conversation (when the whole "Ms. Sharp" thing was revealed), why would she tell her about Peter being the only one to get her Cortexa-skills going? And how Did Mean-a know most of the story of this Olivia's childhood if she was from the other universe? On my first watch, I thought this was a fantastic scene, but knowing what we know now, it kind of takes away that emotional oomph.

– I'm assuming that September can't just go back in time to try and fix his mistake by hiding behind a box or a cow and watching Walternate make the cure, otherwise he would have done it already, right? I guess his presence and disturbance of Walternate created a splinter in time that can't be undone? But with all possible futures, isn't there a future in which everything went according to plan? I might need to sign up for an online Masters Degree in String Theory from Education Connection so I can figure this out! And why wouldn't Walternate just try to make the cure again? As a scientist, he must know that the distraction could have sent things amiss and that he could always repeat his steps.

– Just as Mean-a had to sell herself to Olivia, actress Blair Brown had to sell her to us. Brown was incredible in this episode, finally really getting in on the game that several other cast members have enjoyed playing for the last two seasons.

– My name dyslexia (it's serious condition according to me) got the best of me last week and I referred to David Robert Jones as Robert David Jones. That faulty portion of my brain has been removed and I have been publicly shamed. You don't know how embarrassing this, is so I'm hoping we can all pretend it never happened.

– Which Observer is your favorite? December FTW!

– Mean-a? Ni-not? Ni-naught? What do you want to call alternate-universe Nina?

– Earlier today, I spoke to Blair Brown about tonight's episode. Read the full Q&A; here.

RELATED STORIES:
Fringe Q&A;: Blair Brown on This Week's Incredible Episode

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I'm only catching up now and haven't read all the comments so sorry if I'm doubling up but Tim's first note has a simple explanation. Presumably Olivia is not lying about needing Peter around to activate her ability at this point in the series so she needed to manipulate Mean-a to bring Peter so that she could escape.
I miss Fringe.
Could be a different universe...... although I would have thought we'd know that by now if that was the case.

Like xerobert16, I'm still siding with this being Peter's timeline, that this is HIS Olivia, that this is the timeline that would have existed had he not been pulled from the river.

@raygun_05 - I really like your post below about this.

The only thing I can't quite figure are the differences that are not Peter related, like Nina adopting Olivia........ This doesn't sound a bit like other universe more than other timeline even though that's not what I think it is.

Can't wait for the next episode...... what a long wait! I just hope the viewing figures are good because I think this show deserves it. I think if more people gave shows labeled as sci-fi a chance, numbers would be much higher.
this may be stupid but, waht if peter is not in a different timeline but in a different universe? i mean, isn't it possible that when the machine yanked him out of existence, it threw him to a different universe? cause there are an infinite number of universes. could that be possible?
I agree with all that said this IS Peter's timeline. September never told Peter he was in the wrong timeline, just to go home (his literal home) and that he should be with his Olivia as opposed to alternate-Olivia he had a baby with. September also told peter that he ceased to exist and then reappeared + that his son Henry also ceased to exist. So in other words, Henry is NOT in another timeline that Peter is from but instead this is Peter's timeline that he and Henry were erased from.
so what timeline universe is peter in or from ? im trying to remember season 3 ending and dont they use henrys blood to work the machine on the other side? henry a mix between peter and red hair olivia . yet when peter enters the macine a mix of walternate and his mothers blood hes able to see the future and destroy walternates world. so henry is erased from their world so they cant use his blood to power the machine again if they even want to. and im just assuming but peter as a adult in reidan lake could have been his second choice the one we did not see him make in the third season finale with walter possible peter shoots the observer who is trying to save him from drowning in the lake again . the only thing that makes no sense to me is if peter went back in time to erase himself so both worlds can survive who or what brings him up from the lake?
In answer to your first question, Olivia told the fake Nina that Peter was what was needed to get her Cortexa-skills as you called them working, in order to do exactly what she did when they brought him there, fry them ;-)

If you recall she actually explains it to him when they reunite (that she remembered that she did something similar when she was a child and thought she might be able to do it again if he was with her).

One question down, a million to go...
go to youtube type in FRINGE - "Past + Present + Future -- Neither Here Nor There" ...it states that Peter sacrificed himself to build a bridge and created a NEW timeline...interesting stuff
my 2 cents: there was 1 timeline where Peter was supposed to die, but the observer interfered in the lab, and altered the timeline (setting it on a different path where Peter lived and didnt die in the lake, so this was the timeline we saw from seasons1-3) -- then when Peter got into the Machine, he merged the two timelines back together to create the original where he died in the lake (because he altered the future/present so the past had to change once again to accomodate the altered future -- in one future the world would have been destroyed and it should have been, but Peter made a different choice and built a bridge, thus changing the past and re-writting the timeline by merging it with the original.......maybe thats where Olivia's feelings are coming from (the fact that the 2 timelines have merged?
Fringe is probably the best show on air right now.

Just wanted THIS to be the 200th comment :)
does anyone else think that there is no "other" timeline where Peter should go to because this isn't his timeline??? As I distinctly recall the observers saying that he was erased from his timeline, not sent to another possible timeline - this was never mensioned - why suddenly he thinks irrationally and not like the genius mind that he is....it's like only his Olivia would form this special bond with him even if he was erased in time she was the one that had dreams about him, about a past she so called never experienced before. And yes the cortexaphan (try typing that with more than a few drinks) injections have caused her to connect to those erased memory's....that timeline had allready happened and made it's imprint. So I think that Peter is where he should be, trust his gut and be happy...but noooowww they have to give us this irrational storyline. I hate Hiatus....who came up with that?!
And once again - PLEASE stop using spoiler photos on the home page! We in the UK have yet to catch up on these eps and yet every time I visit the home page there you are, using photos that spoil the plot. Worse, you change to yet another photo, also a spoiler. It's getting to the point where if you keep up this policy I'm going to have to quit coming here entirely as you seem determined to spoil my enjoyment of these shows.
Sorry the end of this episode was about as little as I've liked anything in Fringe .. REALLY you can't figure it out ... REALLY everyone watching can but you have no idea at all.... not even as something to look into... REALLY .... sorry pretty stupid
speak English much?
Tim, once again you're putting way too much faith in the deductive skills of our boy Peter. He may be sharp intellectually - but he is dull as dishwater when it comes to instincts as he has proven time and time again.

From a writer's standpoint it's obvious Peter's still in his own universe. With a bubble show like Fringe where the writers KNOW they are hanging on by a thread, there is no way in hell they would risk alienating the remaining audience by having this whole entire season be a detour that ends with Peter back in his "own universe" and everything that has happened to build up the characters of the "Amberverse" would lead up to nothing.

Any doubts that he was possibly in a wrong universe were shattered with this episode's explanation of the palimpsest - an image or data or MEMEORIES being buried underneath a new copy of images or data or MEMORIES. It sums up what is happening to Olivia and, to a lesser extent, everyone else in the universe. Buried underneath the layers of rewritten history is the old history that so far only Olivia has remembered. But the universe is course correcting itself and trying to reveal the palimpsest underneath. It's just gonna take a lot longer than it did with Olivia.

I have a feeling that even tho the "Welcome To Westfield" incident was caused by DRJ, we're going to see more of those cataclysmic incidents being caused by nature herself as she rewrites peoples' memories and changes key moments in history back to their original state before the universal rewrite.

Now on some of the other things in this episode, I'm still clueless. I have no idea what DRJ and Mean-a's master plan and end game is. And I have even less of an idea as to how baby Henry fits into this jigsaw puzzle of quantam entaglment. Tho I DO have utter faith in the writers that he will not end up like baby Aaron.

*face palms self*

Oh LOST: You tried so hard to do so little
just found this in the episode reviews:

"In what its perhaps the most brilliant reveal this show has ever provided, Fringe validates both the Cortexiphan trials of Bell & Bishop, as well as the timeless love affair between Peter & Olivia, with one simple yet shocking premise: the Mitochondrial Eve of the Observers and the only successful case of the Jacksonville's trials are one and the same Olivia Dunham. That way, Henry being born from the wrong mother is decimating their race one at the time. All because September's curiosity picked the best of him when Henry's father was still a child. Everything from August's fatherly attachment to September's child like curiosity are being explained in one swift move, leaving Peter to save his gradchildren from the glaring paradox that is his own son and, what should have been, the rightful mother."

Makes perfect sesnse. I think the reviewer hit the nail on the head and pretty much just summed up the whole entire show.

Thanks ionee24!

Now if you can just tell us what DRJ's role in all of this is...
Anyone else think that the bit about recording something new over something already there was a hint that this is Peter's universe? We have seen a few things like that which have seemed to me to be clues that this is Peter's universe.

Well The Observer said that when Peter stepped into the machine, he ceased to exist.

The Observer also did say this "You've managed to return in physical form" and Observer also said "I suspect this will be an opportunity for you to put things right". Based on what the Observer said, its quite clear to me that Peter is indeed in his original timeline. The Observer did not mention what so ever to Peter that he is in the wrong timeline. He was just erased from the minds of everyone, but unexpectedly he came back. I think it is as simple as that.

I will be surprised if Peter is indeed in a different timeline.
I'm beginning to hate Peter.

He dumped ANNA TORV for .. what actually ?
THIS IS "HIS" OLIVIA...

vstony10 is right: "...Astrid's explanation of the disc is the writers giving us a clue that even though something is erased and a new information is recorded on it, the erased version with still be underneath. This basically means even though peter was erased from the minds of all who knows and loved him, that information is still there underneath and can still be accessed with the right tools, in olivia case cortexifan and her love for peter helped her regain access to her memories...."
because that's how they broke outta there. olivia#3 knew getting peter there would help.

"One question about Mean-a and Olivia's heartfelt conversation: If Olivia figured out that the person she was talking to wasn't Nina in the middle of the conversation (when the whole "Ms. Sharp" thing was revealed), why would she tell her about Peter being the only one to get her Cortexa-skills going?"
"Anyway, September told Peter exactly what I was trying to tell him last week: Your Olivia is in the other timeline, bro! This new-old Olivia isn't the old Olivia! "

thats what i was telling my wife, but she doesnt get it.
September NEVER said that sentence to Peter. She's not in the other timeline she is here. He told Peter that since he's back in the timeline that he has an opportunity to set things right. What baffles me is that September has no idea how Peter has returned to this timeline. If he doesn't know..are we ever going to find out?
awesome line

"On the list of the ten worst mistakes ever, that's somewhere between Mr. and Mrs. Hitler deciding to have a kid and ABC greenlighting Work It. "

awesome episode
I actually like how they manage to tell us more about the Observers but I am having a hard time believing that the most advance futuristic evolved humans are represented as white bald men. That is quite insulting on the fact that human beings are not only white bald men.

And as much as I like Fringe and believe that it will end soon, I think the Peter-Olivia-Other Olivia from Peter's timeline triangle is ridiculously bad.
then again, he said they're one of many possible futures for humanity. Maybe there's versions of the Observers that are all bald asian females? who knows
I don't think "insulting" is the word you're looking for. Narrow minded? Naive? Stupid?

Yes, they're supposedly "advanced" and anyone can inject their own emotions into it and spin that into a glowing and opalescent white-supremacy argument. But that's delving into a tricky grey area of political correctness that, I personally, feel needs to calm the #$%* down. Insulting would be the right word if this was done on purpose FOR the purpose of disparaging EVERY other race on the planet; Past, Present, and Future. Naive and narrow minded works better, 'cause then at least they're just stupid.

On the other hand, it could be social commentary on the owners of our country? Who knows? But let's agree not to jump so quickly to defense mode.
Exactly. They probably just thought "Hey lets get some weird looking bald dudes". They probably had an image in their minds of how should he look like, found a white bold dude and said "it would be cool if they all kinda looked the same". If they would have INTENTIONALLY thought of the race, they would have probably done something of a mix, because probably in the future majority of humanity will be a mixture of races.

Its like Jeff said in Community "Wow. Not being racist is the new racism"

More and more of that happening :)

I see what you guys are saying, but I DO get why they did this, and I don' think it was due to a lack of thinking about race, etc. Here are some thoughts:

1. At the end of the day, it's a show. The writers didn't want you to guess who the observers were, so they made them look as alien as possible. Bald, pale, and white. This #1 probably overrides all future examples I make below.

2. Evolution is natural selection. I am sure you have heard of the idea that pinkies will evolve away... that's actually unlikely. What is more likely is that we will continue to evolve away from the need for hair the more we live indoors (chimps are hairy, we are essentially evolved chimps, we have little hair left, It makes sense we are evolving away from needing hair. ) RESULT = We all go bald. Observers are bald.

3. The same with the pale skin. The observers not just white, they are basically albino. What is the evolution theory there? Well, there are many theories that would support this. I will give the easiest to explain: in the past, some humans evolved into darker skin because they live in sunnier climates and became more tan for protection, passing this trait down, eventually creating the color trait of human races. Albinos have a deficiency of melanin which creates this color. So the theory with the observers using this explanation: humans stop living outside as much, and melanin becomes virtually useless, and people get lighter and lighter over generations of racial mixing and not needing darker skin color to survive in the sun anymore. RESULT = Albino looking pale people

4. For me, the biggest statement is why no women? #1 is probably the main reason (its a show), but you could also argue a few other scifi evolution theories that could support it: humans start growing babys to protect women and sexes start to merge (maybe september is more feminine hence the emotions for peter, olivia, etc); roles of women change somehow and they are not part of the time travel science program (because they are off doing something more important and the men are the pawns observing OR women are placed into other roles, less favorable to our concepts of equality). I personally would vote that the writers did this because they wanted them to feel more alien-like to throw us off, and nothing more political than that.
More +
I'm sorry, but the whole Mean-a not being Nina thing is a bit contrived and derivative for Fringe, isn't it? Ever since the Olivia-FauxLivia fiasco? Yes, it was interesting the first time (mostly 'cause it had heart), but is this something we're gonna be seeing more often? Personally, it felt cheap.
well it's a way of introducing Nina's alternate which we've never seen. I do agree it doesn't compare to Fauxlivia's infiltration to this side but i thought it served well as on it's own.
I thought it was easy to tell that meana wasnt the real nina, she was so hesitant when it came to recalling her 'memories' that it was just blatantly obvious, even though I had my suspicions before but couldn't be certain
Free video online, visit here http://www.myvideotube.net
Brilliant Episode. i think Olivia wanted to know for sure if she was talking to the real Nina or a shapeshifter, that is why she pretended that she could not remember the bond between them. I think she wanted to find out if Nina would make a mistake in the story of her past. Which Nina did make a mistake. Olivia then decided to play Nina at her own game and gave her the information she wanted to pass onto jones which was she needed peter to be with her so she could kick ass and get the hell out of there. September did not actually say this olivia was the wrong olivia, what he did however say was that Peter had RETURNED in physical form. meaning he returned to his own timeline which they had tried to erase him from. I think this is peters olivia and due to the cotetifax she is remembering everything that was erased . Olivia has always had the ability to do above and beyond others especially when cotetifax is involved. so this makes perfect sence. Peter did not pay full attention to Septembers warnings of whats important . And i also think Astrids explanation of the disc is the writters giving us a clue that even though something is erased and a new information is recorded on it, the erased version with still be underneath. This basically means even though peter was erased from the minds of al who knows and loved him, that information is still there underneath and can still be accessed with the right tools, in olivia case cotetifax and her love for peter helped her regain access to her memories.
Free video online, visit here http://www.myvideotube.net
great episode. i still maintain though there is only 1 timeline..because the Observer said that his interference led to peter having a son with Fauxlivia but that was not meant to happen, so i dont see how there could be a place for Peter to return to since the only place where he can be with Olivia and not have a son with Fauxlivia is this timeline. Additionally, there are some other questions as well...for one, we know that there are two futures -- one where the world is destroyed and one where the bridge is built -- to get to each possible future, certain events in the past have to change ...to get to a future where the bridge was built and doomsday didnt happen, Peter had to have died in the lake....to get to a future where doomsday happend, Peter existed --- this would lend credence to the fact that the timeline was simply re-written (since Peter changed the future, which was supposed to be doomsday, the past had to be changed to accomodate, and thus, Peter died in the lake....but he did exist in 1 possible future and so he forced himself back into this re-written timeline)
Free video online, visit here http://www.myvideotube.net
reading the comments have a few questions that need answering if someone could help. Is it possible that the olivias were switched when they were young possibly when walters olivia set fire to the room and also when she gave walternate the picture of her and peter could walternate switch olivias. He would give walter the blond olivia and keep the fire breathing red hair one for himself and if thats true then peter should be with the blond olivia all along since that is the one from his universe. not the one he had a child with
Free video online, visit here http://www.myvideotube.net
Nope, not possible. Do you not remember that Olivia could tell which people were from which universe.
By the time September messed up Walternate`s experiment Walter had already invented that interdimensional screen thing he used to spy on the still living Peter and judging by the speed he built the machine, he had already invented it... if i`m not mistaken he had used it previously to send small objects to the other universe and such...so, first the way to travel between universes already existed, and second probably in time Walter`s experiments would have destabilized the red universe anyway leading to people (possibly Peter) traveling to the blue universe to stop the destruction (thus getting Peter and Olivia together and getting us that damn happy ending)
Free video online, visit here http://www.myvideotube.net
excellent episode, I can see why they are killing of september. he then can't go back and stop himself from interupting walter, which was the catalyst and main purpose of the whole story line. but whats to stop another observer from stopping september?
Free video online, visit here http://www.myvideotube.net
I don't think they can. It's a time paradox. If September does go back and stop himself from distracting Walternate...then he never interfered and thus he never had a reason to go back in time and stop himself anyway so he ends up doing it again. Like in 'The Day We Died' Walter couldn't not send the machine back in time because then he would have no reason not to send it back thus end up sending it back anyway so Peter was the only one who could make a different decision inside the machine. I know I know...Fringe=massive head aches but awesome head aches at that.
I know that most of the people nowadays go after comedy shows but for me Fringe is the best until now because it opens your mind and makes it work trying to solve the mysteries. After all there is nothing perfect in this world.

Going back to the topic, according to my knowledge, the timeline is the same but when Peter was removed from it, anything that is related to him was removed also .. every trace of him. Regarding what is happening to Olivia currently is because of Peters presence in a timeline where he has no past in it .. so the past is rewritten in a way that makes Olivia remember what happened before Peter was removed from the timeline and forgets other things. I didn't know whether I managed to explain it the right way or not .. but think of it as a word .. if you remove a letter from it the whole world changes and when you return that letter to it's exact place, the word goes back to what it originally was.

Best regards
First off, loved the episode. Secondly, there seems to be two theories going around on various Fringe forums. 1) "Amber" Olivia is still actually "Blue" Olivia, but the timeline was just re-written over. After all, halfway through the episode, the fringe crew made a rather big deal about the palimpsest (rewriting over the disc). And considering that led to a dead end plot-wise, I feel like that was just a way of them explaining to us what is going on. Olivia and everyone else is still their "Blue" selves, but the timeline has just been re-written over the old one, and possibly due to Olivia's cortexiphan and her connection to Peter (who is a basically a paradox in the timeline at this point), her old self is bleeding through into the rewritten timeline (similar to how the tapes were explained by Astrid).

The other theory is just that they are two separate Olivias, and Peter can actually "get home" to his old timeline. I don't think this is the case, though. I think this whole thing with Peter trying to go home is just a huge red herring for the viewers so when they reveal what is actually going on, it'll be a big revelation for Peter and us (the viewers). Of course, some have said that since everyone has had different lives, they ARE different people, but... the show has made several references to the 'soul' which I don't think changes no matter what happened to your history. You're still going to be that person - even if time was re-written.

Hope that makes sense! :)
I really like your theory. It makes more sense than the Universe A timeline B thing. Seriously, if the theory about multiple timelines leading to infinite dimensions were correct, then Peter would not be the only Peter to survive right? In one of those other timelines, Walternate would have found a cure. I think that Fringe has worked really hard to contain the scifi stuff into something understandable and to introduce multiple other timelines and universes would be a nightmare for storytelling! I think that you are right, that the Amber existence is merely the blue universe without Peter growing up in it.The observers made a big deal about how September did not erase all traces of Peter. I think that Olivia's memories of Peter are real and that what is happening to her is what the Observers were talking about.

As far as why September could not go back in time to stop himself- I think it would have been possible for him to go back and point it out to Walternate, but perhaps he did try and Walternate did not believe him until it was too late??? I don't know, just guessing at that one.

Oh, and to answer the question about why Olivia talked about needing Peter when she "knew" it wasn't Nina- she told Peter the answer to that question. She told him that she hoped he would give her something that she needed to activate herself. She had to have known that despite the fact that it wasn't really Nina, if she did not succeed in performing the task that they would eventually hurt her or at the very least never release her. I also think she planned on trying to get out on her own and she knew she could not do that alone.
More +
In response to: "And why wouldn't Walternate just try to make the cure again?"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I remember it from the previous episodes is that Walter was slowly making his way through a bunch of different elements to cure Peter. He would do something to each concoction and if it worked it would turn a color (blue I think) and if it didn't it would either stay the same color or turn reddish pink. The combination Walternate made was unstable but did turn blue briefly. He missed it when he turned to see the observer, but Walter saw it. He needed to tweak it a bit so that it was stable, but Walternate had just assumed it had failed and moved onto the next element as time was of the essence.
You are right. It actually turned pink to show that it worked tho. The idea was to try things as quickly as possible because Peter did not have much time. Walternate could not possibly work everything thru to completion so he did what he could to find the right track to start on. He might not have even known just how long the mixture would show a positive sign, he might have assumed it would not change from pink to blue at all. In the episode that showed what happened, Walter totally freaked and was yelling at Walternate that it did indeed turn pink and that whatever mix he had come up with was the one to work with. If I remember correctly, we never saw the observer, we only knew that something or someone pulled Walternates attention away right? One more reason to restart the series all together!
Much better episode than last week's (which I still maintain kind of sucked), but I did catch the Mean-a bait and switch before it was intended. Specifically, during the first interrogation scene, which literally had no point but to show Nina maintaining that she's innocent. For storytelling purposes, with nothing else happening there it was only there to state that Nina is confused about the situation but the Fringe team doesn't believe her. Which of course means that she can't be the double because something would have moved forward in that thread otherwise.

Sure, that's cheating, it's coming to in-universe conclusions because of out of character storytelling stuff, but it still happened. Which is a shame, because they did good making characters not be frustratingly stupid otherwise, like Olivia realizing she was with the double.

Oh, and here's another plot hole for you. How convenient is it that the Jones team decided to shapeshift Nina for an emotional decoy but still felt the need to kidnap the way-more-dangerous-and-equally-likely-to-be-missed Peter for the same purpose? Why not clone him up too?
and btw this is his olivia thier love is what is getting her memory back that what i understood!
i dont know where i read that ppl thinking that there is more than 2 universies . as i remeber that peter was removed from the time line there is no other than 2 and thats what they have to understand ....
First question, Olivia said she could only remember bits and pieces..so maybe after she was able to access her "powers" she was also able to connect all the dots!

I REALLY HOPE this Olivia is Peter's Olivia..
September is still my favorite Observer..if only he could speak a bit faster!he has few moments (relative, i know!!) but the way he speaks means he get yanked before he could say something a slow brain can decipher (i probably mean me)

As for the episode, it was bloody fantastic..and i officially withdraw my "universes to Merge" theory..frankly speaking..am now all for the ride.its obviously the Fringe writers are really smart people. So Mr.Tim Surette i hereby inform you that we are classmates on that online Masters Degree in String Theory!!.
Fantastic episode! How about Nee-na or Nee-nina?
Another great epsiode..... and recap (bit the ep was greater than the recap :) ).

I wonder about this alternate timeline. At the end of season 3, Peter was forgotten by the people in his timeline. He has come back to the same people, hasn't he?
Someone might allready have said this. This Olivia is Peters Oliva, kind of, since he got removed from the world from the time he landed in the lake after crossing universes as a boy. That means that everything he had done from that point is erased, meaning nothing he did earlier in the series happened and none remember it. But now that he has come back Olivia starts to get back the memories that got "erased", probably because of their special bond. That is my two cents.
Maybe Olivia told Nina about Peter because she also realized that he might be the only one who can help her escape?

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed that this is another timeline. Not just because it means I've been wrong all this time but because I really don't see the point of it (probably why I thought it had to be the same timeline minus Peter). Just to show Peter's quest to get back home? That's not to say that there weren't some good episodes this season but now it mostly feels like a waste of time.
But this ISN'T just another timeline, IMHO. September never says it's the wrong one, he doesn't say it's the wrong Olivia even - the Olivia he shows Peter may just as easily be the Olivia of this timeline, the way she is now, "with added memories".
That was my thought, heck didn't she explicitly say so?

That she mentioned Peter because he knew with him there she could put her powers into overdrive and kick their butts?
I think that the reason why Olivia told Mean-a about Peter, was so that they would bring him there, so that she could "channel" him and start that electro-mind blast thingy.
Ni-not
Off topic, i'm still looking forward on this show, but please stick with the main storyline (like this episode), we're already in the fourth season. Sorry, it's just that i'm not satisfied with the other filler episodes.

I still wanna see that the two universes will collide and will alter Earth, maybe, destroy portions of it (inspired by The Time Machine movie), and there's chaos, or at the least the one that we saw in "The Day We Died". Natural disasters are always welcome =).

Also, we haven't seen the events that happened to the characters when Peter activated the machine. I know that this will probably not happen anymore since peter had already changed that but maybe some other way.
I think Olivia is Peter's Olivia and that Peter is on the same universe because of the connection between our universe and the alternate. There's the bridge, and Fauxlivia, and Walternate and these characters had only one conflict with another universe (ours) which is what we currently have now in the show.
Am i the only one who remembers the first test from DRJ in Universe A Timeline A, correct me if i am wrong but didn't he want her to turn the lights off not on. I wonder if this settle difference is significant being that it is a different timeline and by all means a different DRJ.
for the first question, maybe it was late when olivia realized.
Great Episode, set us up for a nice 8 episode run!
Has no one thought of nametags?
I'm still not aboard with the "Peter needs to get back to his timeline and HIS Olivia"-plot, because that's not really what September is saying. He's showing us an image of happy, loving Olivia and saying "she's the one" - but right now, Universe A timeline B's Olivia IS that Olivia, Peter's Olivia, somehow recreated for him to bring the timeline back on track.

That's my take on it, anyway - and I think Peter chose to interpret the statement the way he did because he's been suckered before, with Fauxlivia, and knows that HIS Olivia will probably revisit her trust-issues if he gets pulled in by another fake again.

Also, the statement that "Olivia has to die" takes on a different meaning if we agree that the original Olivia of the AB-verse (shorthand) is being "overwritten" by the memories and feelings of Olivia from the AA-verse - in a sense "dying" as a personality, although not in body.

Other crazy ideas/interpretations:

- Olivia has to die to trigger Peter, somehow, or all Olivias have to die so that HIS Olivia is the ONLY Olivia, the way Peter seems to be the ONLY Peter.

- This whole season is just a very long version of "The Day We Died", ep3x22, as much a warning to show Peter what "might be" as anything, ending in a cop-out "but it was all a dream"...
I think the observer is referring to the olivia that we have right now. Remember that he said to peter that he has to go home, and peter realized that it was literal, which gives us the idea that the Olivia that was referred to by the Observer is our olivia now. Yet at the end of the episode, Peter is still not convinced.
Exactly! And I think it just sounds too good to be true, to Peter; it can't be that simple, he has to keep jumping through hurdles to get some happiness at last.
Load More Comments