FX network ends Iraq war drama Over There

Cable television's FX channel has decided not to renew the critically praised Iraq war drama Over There for a second season due to weak ratings during the show's initial 13-episode run, the network said Tuesday.

Over There, a first-of-its-kind contemporary war drama about US troops in combat and their families back home, was cocreated by Steven Bochco, the veteran TV producer behind such landmark cop shows as Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue.

While Over There garnered mostly favorable reviews, the gritty, albeit fictionalized, depiction of a real war that has grown increasingly unpopular with the American public ultimately proved a turnoff to TV viewers.

Although the series contained references to real-life events that have stirred debate over the war, including the Abu Ghraib prisoner-abuse scandal, the producers sought to avoid overt political messages about the conflict.

The show got off to a promising start July 27 with 4.1 million viewers tuning in, a fairly healthy launch by cable TV standards, but the audience steadily declined from there.

Through the 13th and final episode on Oct. 26, the program averaged a meager 2.1 million viewers overall. Only 1.35 million watched the series finale.

"It became evident to us that the American public didn't want to see a dramatization of a war that was already going on," Yemaya Royce, a spokeswoman for Bochco's production company, told Reuters.

"It made people uncomfortable to watch. I think that was the case for a lot of people," FX spokesman John Solberg added. "Clearly it was subject matter that was harsh."

Said FX president and general manager John Landgraf: "The series was arguably the most critically acclaimed new television show of the year, a fact which made the decision not to renew it all the more difficult."

Launching any new TV show is always a gamble. But for Bochco, the stakes were especially high for Over There, his first series on basic cable following a string of misfires on network television, including the ABC crime and legal dramas Blind Justice, Philly, and Total Security.

Bochco recently took over as producer for the ABC political drama Commander In Chief and signed a three-year production deal with sister studio Touchstone Television.

Both ABC and Touchstone are units of the Walt Disney. The FX network is owned by News Corp. Ltd.

I just watched the dvd of this series, bought it from a bargain bin (and a great bargain it was too, much more than i could have imagined), and searched online for season 2, and i cant believe this series was cancelled as its one of the best made "war stories" i've seen, i'm ex-military too. I couldnt wait to see the next episode, so i am appalled that so many comments also rated this show yet it was still cancelled. Someone should start a petition to revieve the series.
I am a former Soldier of the U.S. Army (Bco. 1/160th Mechanized INF . and " Over There " was by far the best show i have seen. - SPC D. Hawes
This is total BS! I'm shocked...apalled...POed...etc..etc. This was a great show because it showed the lives of soldiers...what was happening at home and what was happening to them "over there". It didn't make a political statement...except for maybe: War is bad, peace is great. We couldn't have that now could we!?
I am writing to voice my displeasure with the cancellation of the series “Over There.” I enjoyed the show and you character development was superb. This show was not only entertaining but also showed the characteristics, good and bad of the American fighting man. I have watched for years, powerless as networks make decision about what programming will be available to me. Many shows don’t hit there prime until there second season or later. It seems networks only care about “Bottom line.” I have numerous friends and that were devotees of “Over There.” Your cancellation of the show, say’s only one thing to me, don’t watch the FX network programs, because the likelihood of the show being canceled is high. You continue to perpetuate shows like “Nip and Tuck”, which in my opinion has no redeeming qualities. I now you don’t really care what I think but I needed to air my thoughts regarding you decision.

thats BS!!! cancel shows they are CRAP.. this show is amazing
This was a great show. People will watch a bunch of very petty people run around an island (survivor)or some housewife sell drugs out of her home (weeds) all this couldnt be more fictional not to mention so fanciful. Over there had great character development and excellent storylines. Over there was gritty and real. It shows how mind numbing TV has gotten when first rate dramas like

over there get cancelled and shows like Americas top model live on. Over there didnt succeed because it was a bad show it failed because it reminded people that there is a war going on in Iraq and people dont want to be reminded of that . Then when something terrible happens like 911 people stop think but only for a minute.
Over There was one of the best shows in TV history. I'd bet that the right wing Republicans did everything to get this show off the air. Clearly they wouldn't want the nation to watch the realistic depiction of this war activity. The truth does not always make for "comfortable viewing" but this show was remarkable for its content and for the superb actors. I am so very sorry that it has been cancelled (though not surprised). I was more surprised it made it on the air in the first place. Over There is a show that needs watching!
This ****s. I'm really disappointed this was cancelled.
Too bad - a great show by any measure.

Good writing and great actors.

Sure beats all those CSI & look alike shows...

I will miss it.
F*** well another good show gone. I really liked this and now we all have to go watch stupid rich people live in the country, fat people loose weight, and other boring things, no more shows thatb teach you about military life. I learned more about military life in this series than in most military movies. Well I am really really sad that the Season Finale was really the Series Finale and that we will probably never see this again. I wish we could do something to get it back.
everyone stop whining here and do something to get it back. go to fxnetworks.com and click contact and email them about it. mayb if they get enough emails they will have to bring it back. its worth the shot, go now wat u waiting for. lets get over there back!!!!!
please put season 1 on dvd
Over There was crap in the beginning and crap at the end. Thank God it's over. Bochco & Gerolmo and all their relatives produced a bogus, leftwing view of Operation Iraqi Freedom that wasn't even close to the truth. They didn't get anything right. Not the tactics, not the dialog, not the Iraqi people, nothing. I wathced every episode and kept waiting for them to improve. It never happened. They had a great opportunity to tell the public about the professional soldiers of OIF, but instead they portrayed us using worn out Viet Nam era stereotypes and plotlines stolen from Apocalpse Now, Platoon, and Full Metal Jacket. Their military adviser, Sean Bunch, a Marine had no business working on the show, and I feel sorry for the hard working troops of 3ID whose patch these losers wore on their uniforms.

Goodbye and good luck.
This is bull. My brother-in-law died in Iraq on Sept. 20th. I watched this show before he got killed, because it was the only thing out there that provided me with with a window of what he was actually seeing and going through. After he died, I was still a loyal viewer, because as painful as it was to watch, it made me feel closer to him for that hour. All people want to see on television is a bunch of teenagers having sex, this is absurd.
Bring it back!!! It is a good show!!!
This is unbelievable. I thought this show was great and I never missed an episode. I guess people would rather pretend that there is nothing happening 'Over There' and that's pretty sad. We are at war and turning a blind eye to it will not make it go away. I'll miss it.
you people are stupid. Why would you cancel a show like this. Was our crappy Gov. all over you guys for showing the war like it is? I have friends over there and more going. Everyone that was there already there watches the show and says that thats how it is. The story line of the show is great and pulls the viewers in. The show wasnt placed at the best time of year anyway. Most of the viewers that I know are college students and how the hell is a show suppost to contend with the world series. I for one was very angry when I went to watch the show on wed. and the dumb world series was on. WTF. This needs to be rethought and given another chance during the summer viewing season. Please bring this show back.
Noooooo!!! Please!!! Bring it back! How can you do this!! This is my favorite show. Can we sign a petition or something? Can I at least download the title song?
We need to band together and get this show back!!
Janice
It was a very exciting show but I cant say I'm surprised to see it go. I think its just a little too graphic for tv :-\
im gonna kill` you cheap ******S FX AHHHHHHHHHH *gets m16 16 and goes and finds fx*
Enjoyed is not how I would describe my feelings while watching this show, sometimes I cried, but it always made me feel for the people who were depicted. I could not believe that an hour had passed each time the show was over. I see all the yellow ribbons on people's cars saying "I Support Our Troups". But when it comes to understanding what they are experiencing while they are fighting for us, that is asking too much. I am a veteran and I can't say I know what they are going through, but I do relate to alot of what I saw.

Another kick in the teeth for anything worth watching on tv. This was 1 of the 2 or 3 shows on tv that was worth watching. The rest of them are just awful. It's a shame that it was cancelled.
PLEASE do not cancel OVER THERE! People all around just like me absolutely love this show and it shows inspiration to join and to know not of the dangers but of how we can help our country. It shows some of the true consequences of being a soldier but so be it. I wish that they made more shows like OVER THERE! Obviously the people don't understand that we just a had a major hurricane here in Florida and alot of people lost power for a very long time. Lots of people were very busy during the before, during, and after the hurricane getting prepared and then fixing damage. Also people from other states were probably calling relatives, friends, and family that live in Florida to see if THEIR OK! Also, it would really hurt alot of people if you cancelled this show because it would probably depress alot of people. This show is so real and alive that it couldn't withstand to be cancelled. Its a brand new show I mean what do you expect. Maybe its not the show, Maybe its just the channel FX in all. Theirs alot of show worse than OVER THERE and more provacative for example NIP TUCK and THE SHIELD! If im not mistaking those are 2 PERFECT EXAMPLES! So please RE-THINK this DECISION about CANCELLING OVER THERE. PLEASE OTHERS AND I BEG OF YOU PLEASE GIVE THE SHOW A CHANCE. HAVE SOME HEART!
this happens almost every time i find a tv show worth watching. "dead like me", "roar" and "firefly", all dropped after one to two seasons. shows like O.C. or Reba seem to go on like a bad dream. but put something quality, or off the beaten path, and the herd (mainstream america) runs the other way.

i am thankful that i am not part of the herd but damn, its getting soo very unentertaining out there.
This is pathetic that FX would decide to cancel this incredible show. When terrible reality shows are thriving this should be a breath of fresh air. However, the American public are too programmed to watch what they are told, so a simple solution is to move the show time so it would not conflict with any other big time shows. This show is very real because the characters are real and flawed. They feel just like us and deal with death everyday which is something that everyone has to deal with. This show relates to us in ways that most shows cannot. It is sad to see such a fine casted show to go to waste. I believe another company should take up this project and finish what FX could not do.
I HATE YOU I LOVED THIS SHOW WHY CANT YOU HAVE LIKE BE DVDS OR SUMTIN FOR SEaSON 2 and so on i loved the show and i would be willing to pay to watch it
Is a pity it is being withdrawn as it is an exceptional series. The american public needs to wake up to what is really happening to their troops overseas whether they support the war or not and this program was a good insight.

Roll on the OC and the rest of the rubbish.
OK... apparently I can't comment on here or something? Twice I have tried to post a comment here, but it won't show up. Actually, this would be my third try, but with a different message. My real comment is posted in my blog now.
OVER THERE not renewed!! Gee, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.... Why would a network keep a show like this? I mean, it's only an excellent and exciting show that people enjoy. I just can't tell you how thoroughly excited I am at the prospect of getting more senseless reality shows like Desunn mentioned in his/her comment. "Look at the Fat Lady Yell at the Other Fat Lady's Kids"; now that's some quality tv watching right there. lmfao (Desunn... you couldn't have hit the nail on the head more. lol)

I used to think that FX actually had some balls to be able to offer shows like THE SHIELD and OVER THERE. I guess I am sadly mistaken. So what's next!? Will they cancel THE SHIELD because it's too violent or because it's not stupid enough??? It's no wonder our country is full of idiots these days with the torpid nonsense that's available to watch on tv. I'd like to see at least ONE channel on tv that offers viewers like us the shows that we actually WANT to watch. It'd probably be the most popular channel on television.

Incompetent FX.... Just imcompetent.

Incompetent FX.... Just imcompetent.
I am truly saddened that this show was removed from the line-up. I am a disabled Army veteran who retired after serving for 14 years this past may. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the show and never missed an episode. Since we are both veterans, we discussed all of the possibilities and had many chats about how some of the characters reminded us of some fellow soldiers we have had. We were already excited about seeing what kind of LT. these soldiers would get next, and who really killed the one that died on the last episode. So imagine my suprise when Wednesday night we turned on the TV and there was no "over there". So sad!! This great show was cancelled while crappy shows like "friends" and "seinfeld" get play for 500 years!! It's a sad sad day.
Unbelievable!! It is a sad state of affairs indeed when a quality program like this gets cancelled, yet we are still subjected to total crap nonsense like "The O.C." or "According to Jim". What the hell is wrong with the American public? When did we get so ignorant as a nation? Come on FX!!! Take a chance on quality! Where can I start a petition?!?!?
I will never watch anything on F/X again..I used to love watching Over There every Wednesday..All my friends watched it also..It was a very realistic show with heart wrenching drama..To pull that show was the wrong choice in my opinion..so what only 1.2 million tuned in, thats better than 500..That shows people are interested in the show..Some people would miss the episode on Wed and catch the repeats on Sat..Ever stop to think about that..And something else I hate is when you are right in the middle of a show and wonder what's going to happen next then be told its not showing anymore..Pathetic..What you should of done was replaced the Producer or something..not pull the show!!
THIS IS A BIGGEST BURST OF CRAP CANCLEING A GOOD INFORMATIVE SHOW. ALL THE LIBERAL WHINNY ANTI WAR REJECTS ALWAYS GET THIERE LAME ASS WAY. WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF SOME ITERESTED FANS OF THIS SHOW. PEOPLE WAKE UP TO REALITY, WE ARE NOT IN KANASA ANYMORE, HAPPY HAPPY LAND. LEAVE THE SHOW ON THE AIR
I wish they had given the show more time. I loved it, and I will miss being able to watch it. It was hard to watch at times, but I was mesmerized by it. It was a chance for all of us at home safe to get some idea of what our soldiers are enduring every day as they fight to take democracy to the Middle East.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I am also one of the many viewers that is heart-wrenchingly devostated by FX not renewing this show. My other half is over seas right now. . . along with my LITTLE cousin, and I can't count all of my freinds who see and endure things 10 times worse than what we see on this show. Watching this show gives us a little insight on what our friends, moms, dads, brothers, sisters, husbands, and wifes go through everyday. . . allday! It doesn't just happen for an hour a day, once a week. Every episode left me in aw. Though I do understand, for some families watching this show may hit home too hard. Thats why they have other channels to turn to. Take off a few of those old re-runs and tack in some more of Over There. I am one of the those viewers that watched this religiously, I was unable to catch the finale due to a family emergency. But I am with the veiwer for boycotting, this decision needs to be reversed.
FX is gay. I will never watch any programming on that channel ever again. OVER THERE was the best program available. It is the closest thing to reality TV there is. Way to go, alienate your military audience.
I would do anything for this show to be continued...I'm sure it's not a writing issue, since there is ongoing material???? What is the problem? I may have to boycott this network since I live to watch this show.

WHAT GIVES?
I can't believe this...I live for this TV show. My husband and I wait for Wednesday night to watch it, I'm devastated.
Predicatable plot and slow but fun to watch the action. I didn't mind it..
Damn, how can cràp TV be so succesful, and stuff as good as this get shelved? What's wrong with viewers?!?

Pîssed off. Hope it's popular in the UK, Sky One take the show over and do a second series.

Wishful thinking perhaps....
What a brilliant choice; now we have more room for stimulating shows like According to the Fat Guy, How I Divorced Your Mom, Spouse Swap: Look at the Fat Lady Yell at the Other Fat Lady's Kids, etc. All the shows intelligent people watch are getting cancelled. What ever happened to supporting a quality show? Thanks to the cast and crew for this wonderful show. I am truly sad to see it go. I thought FX had more integrity and cajones.
It was a very poor decision to end over there. the show had a lot of potential. everyone i talked to loved it and im very dissapointed in FX.
Too bad. The season finale was better than most the junk on TV. It had a lot of potential for season 2.
I didn't like it anyway.
Thats bogus. I love that show. The reason the rating went down was because it ran at a bad time in the year. It crossed the summer/fall boundary. Not to mention football and baseball. They should have made it a summer only show like The Dead Zone or The 4400. It would have cleaned up then. To cancel a critical hit is just nonsense. Don't blame the show for the bad decisions of the network programing execs.