FX Renews Louie and Brand X

Some actual legitimate bona fide real news came out of this weekend's TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour sessions, courtesy of FX. The network announced renewals for a pair of its Thursday comedies, the so-real-it's-surreal intello-comedy Louie and new topical improv talk show Brand X with Russell Brand, according to Entertainment Weekly. Louie will be back for a fourth season and Brand X will be back for numero dos.

Whereas Louie is 99.99 percent guaranteed to return next summer, Brand X will be back this fall with seven new episodes. It will also undergo a series of creative changes, probably because as it is now, it's just a guy with a microphone and some other guy at a desk.

FX hasn't yet made the biggest decision of its summer. Anger Management, the multi-camera sitcom starring Charlie Sheen as a guy who is a lot like Charlie Sheen, has no word on its potential for a mammoth 90-episode pickup. The show needs to hit a magic number in the ratings for FX to move forward; last week's episode was the highest-rated in FX's comedy block, with 2.4 million viewers and a 1.0 rating in the adult demo. FX's Thursday-at-10pm comedy Wilfred also is waiting word for renewal.

FX also had something to say on its long-gestating superhero crime drama Powers, adapted from the comic book series of the same name. The project, about a detective who investigates superhero crime, is still being looked at but would likely be retooled a lot, including finding a new lead to replace Jason Patric.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Its not saying much, but I prefer Anger management far more than 2.5 Men, it really does have some good moments!
I started watching Louie and Anger Management because I was bored and many here seemed to enjoy them. Louie, IMO, is mostly droll, with a few humorous parts here and there - I remember LOL'ing at his sister in the ER though. Anger is a little bit funnier, mostly because of the old homophobe guy and the flaming guy. Brand, whatever, cuz he creeps me. Powers, maybe because there's been so many "powered" shows, and detective shows, but not rolled into one. Hopefully it won't have a numerology-conspiracy, bleh.
LOL @ my first TV.com bleep
Louie CK is a very funny comedian but his TV show is nowhere near as funny as his standup routines. I'm a bit surprised that it's going to make it past season 3.
That's true. But I don't think it was supposed to be continuous laugh out loud comedy. It has more heart in it that anything else on TV though. For example the last episode of Louie - simply phenomenal but not as funny as others.
Is it ominous that they announced pickups for two of their summer Thursday shows but not the third, which has been as solid as "Louie" in its sophomore season? Why no word on "Wilfred"?
...too much Russell Brand is not good for the country...
Staff
The Russell Brand in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" needs to make a comeback.
Pardon Mate, might you expand on this a bit? Your statement seems to be quite a bit between the realms of blurry .... [..........] with much needed stroking of the furry walls to calm the readers, at least with me, until there is a full re-telling of your opinion, and done so with precision in details, as to what it is you are trying to say. Respectfully, Kaitlyn. p.s. By the by, I really liked that movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
Actually, the FX president said a lot about the potential for a 90-episode pickup of Anger Management. He said it was VERY likely, and that if it keeps performing like it has, they'll renew it once the 10 episodes are up... And they said that Martin Sheen would then come on full-time, meaning I'll have to start watching it again.
Brand X is interesting to watch, I find it generally quite funny but also fascinating to Russell Brand's take on these things, he has an interesting way of thinking about them that's more grounded than it first seems. The format could stand a little tweaking, but not like this last week's episode where they added 2 guests, it was just too much at once. I'd prefer to watch no guests at all, but if I have to have a guest, 1 is all there should be per episode, half just Brand and the other half with guest, not in thirds.

Louie I loved the first 2 seasons, but now it's feeling pretentious and I'm tiring of it, so I hope it finds new legs next season.
I've watched one episode of Brand X and just found it to be so unentertaining I fell asleep. Maybe if they make some of those changes I'll tune in this fall to give it another go round.

Anger Management is one of those shows I"d like to watch, but after the first few it wasn't good enough for me to block out the 1/2 hour to tune in. It had it's laugh, but something about it felt forced.