G4 Ditches Gaming Programming, Cancels Attack of the Show and X-Play

According to social norms, there comes a time in every gamer's life when he must put down the controller, throw out the anime companion pillow, and feel the warmth of that glowing orb in the sky by spending some time outside. Or he must replace the gaming lifestyle with an 80-hour work week, doing reps of 10 whatevers at the gym, and applying several coats of Axe Body Spray. (Lady gamers, feel free to substitute your own pathetically off-the-mark gaming steretypes.) The same is apparently true for cable networks, as G4 has decided it's getting out of the game game.

Originally set up as a channel devoted to the culture of video games and the digital world, G4 today canceled its long-running shows Attack of the Show and X-Play, according to gaming blog Kotaku, in what is expected to be a rebranding of the channel into a young male's haven in the vein of men's magazines GQ and Esquire. Gross.

Attack of the Show, which covered movies, gadgets, and pop culture in addition to games, and X-Play, which stuck to just games, will both continue production before powering down at the end of the year.

Cartoon Network isn't all cartoons anymore, Syfy isn't sci-fi anymore, MTV hasn't showed a music video in a decade... and now G4. Though gamers should be getting their gaming information from my old friends at Giant Bomb and Gamespot anyway...

I have fond memories of vegging out to Filter and Cinematech back in the old days. Aside from Olivia Munn licking PSPs, what are your favorite G4 memories?

For inspiration, here's a video of Munn deep-throating a hot dog.

web soup is all I'll miss...it was the only show worth watching for me. Now I'll have to look at my ugly neighbors ass crack for things you can't un-see
This is just wonderful, some terrible executives think adding another network aimed towards "men" is what television needs. Just crap all over the ATOS and X-Play faithful for douche bad programing like Spike TV. Just another network about "manscaping" and spray on tan. How trick skanks into one night stands. With commercials for bottom shelf liquor and discounted Valtrex prescriptions. Just the thought of another program in the same vein of shows like Jersey Shore or Flavor of Love makes my skin crawl. Next we're going to find out that Current.tv is going to cancel VANGAURD and start airing a dating show featuring Dina Lohan and the Tanning mom mud wresting over a carton of cigarettes. I can't believe that i am taking this news so hard. But it was nice while it lasted. I will just be over here waiting for PBS to start airing the "Reality Star Used Prophylactics" show and wait till we can all die of spray tan run off.
Booooooo G4 those were great shows sure aots has not been the same since olivia munn got the break she wanted but that is just cause your mane goal was just to cast another hot girl not one as awesome as munn and xplay was the only review show that makes any sense and they were always right I will miss them all :(
Not surprised by this actually. Olivia Munn leaving ''AOTS'' was a huge blow, obviously, it was beginning of the end. Also, I'm pretty sure gamers would rather play video games, than watch a channel about video games. Looks like NBC is gonna turn it into Spike TV 2.0.
With "The Nerdist" channel and Felcia Day's channel on YouTube, it doesn't seem like the G4 hipsters can compete with REAL nerds.
G4 was always pretty bad. At the same time a GQ branded channel can only be worse.
Wow I knew GQ tv was coming but xplay and AOTS are stalwarts never expected them to go, full network suicide smh.
I recently switched to Direct TV and was quite upset to find that they don't offer G4. Every night at 6pm I sadly watch something other than what I really want to watch...Attack of the Show.

I guess I can't be mad at Direct TV anymore. Instead I'll just be happy that I won't be able to watch whatever crap they "rebrand" G4 into.
Attack and X are pretty much G4. Like noelrk said, the channel is a mess besides those two shows, and even those two shows are uneven. But what I don't get is the complete retool. I mean you already have a pretty loyal fan base, why not try a gradual shift instead of, what it sounds like, changing target demos.

Though really, what's going to change? Instead of getting the pretty people to talk about tech and games you get them to talk about celebrity gossip.
I've always liked X-Play regardless of what people thought of it. As someone who plays video games, I actually prefer getting my gaming news from the show rather than gaming websites simply because it is on TV. I hope Morgan Webb and Kristin Adams stick around and find work in television. I'm going to miss X-Play.
Well. I'd probably be broken up over the news if Sci-Fi hadn't already stomped all over my heart a few years ago. Burn in hell, G4.
Trust me, NO gamers have been watching G4 for a LOOOONG time. Not since it was TechTV and far better, not to mention less insulting.

It was Jessica Chobot that got famous for licking a PSP, not Olivia Munn. ....Wait, why do I know that? What's wrong with me?
Staff
G4 was a messy, poorly-funded (hence all the SUPER-CHEAP syndicated fare) channel owned by Comcast that, despite a few signature shows, didn't have a strong identity in the market.

It was only natural that following the merger with NBCU, they would start seriously re-tooling the less successful channels given that they would have a) the money and b) the executives capable of doing it.

Better to burn it all down and start anew. You know, like my good friend Bane tried to do to Gotham City. (Sorry, was catching up on 30 Rock.)
You just said NBC had money and capable executives. I almost exploded in a giggle-fit.
Staff
Oh, EXCEPT that I said NBCU, not NBC. Their cable division has been incredibly successful, and along with the movie studio, it's the primary reason Comcast purchased a controlling share of the company.
In my opinion, SyFy shows the same exact management failures as NBC. As a group, they have USA and E!, but they also also have SyFy and G4. Let's call it "some" success or "mixed" success". And with the flagship division failing, I'd say overall if they have any management know-how or money to apply to the problem of G4, they are misapplying it. If the cable division is doing so good, it should be spun off so the parent company doesn't drag it down. If they don't care about that and want to remain intact they should take the money and management and apply it to saving NBC Broadcasting, because when that goes down they all go down, and it's going down. Hard.
Staff
You're conflating ownerships a tad. E! was owned by Comcast prior to the merger, same as G4.

And whatever you may think of Syfy's re-branding, it's been successful for them from a corporate standpoint. It's a been a steady shift to defining a science fiction-lite image with its original programming (plus wrestling, of course), and they're doing well enough with it (certainly better than they were), and they'll continue to build that.

As for NBC's woes, it's significantly more difficult than you're painting it as. While they may be all owned by the same company, they don't all share budgets or revenues. NBC is still reliant on ad dollars while the cable channels have the benefit of both ad dollars and cable subscriber dollars, and both of those are dwindling between economic problems and battles with cable companies.

Fixing the network, after the state it was left in following Zucker and Silverman is going to take considerable amount of time, if it's even completely possible. It's significantly harder to essentially re-build a network (and a brand) across 6 nights of programming compared to a cable channel that may only air original programming on particular days of the week, and only for 13 weeks at a time. There's significantly more flexibility on a cable channel, including syndicated fare marathons that emphasize the brand to fill airtime, compared to a broadcast network.
More +
big mistake by G4, SYFY needs to back to it roots, as for MTV the definitely needs a name change or grow a pear, if your a MTV viewer I don't need to explain, Is anybody making music vid's anymore!! Cartoon is OK for now!! but back to the point video games are here to stay, somebody has to review them!!!
What good will growing a pear do? Fruit farming would only make MTV worse.
@shocker713 obviously you have no clue in what I mean, MTV need to be more like FX, TNT USA hint hint hint!!!
And you obviously missed his quip you said "Grow a pear" what you meant and should've said is "Grow a pair"...
gee it was a typo, but Kesha has a song "Grow a Pear" and we all know she is not taking about fruit, shocker and everybody else should know want I meant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if not I will spell it out MTV NEEDS BALLS!!!!!
nerds...back when I had cable I never watched it. of course I've always been several consoles behind..still never had a playstation anything. just nintendos and a dreamcast i guess.
Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb entertained and informed the gamer community with X-play
The beginning of the end was Munn leaving, but Sessler and Peirera where the final nails int he coffin... RIP G4
Those are not the only channels who have completely shit on who brought them to the dance. The History channel devolved from a channel with history to a channel that only has two shows as far as I can tell. Ancient Aliens and Pawn Stars, and you know who's behind it all, Aliens of course! Someone should line up all these network executives and tattoo "dumbass" on their faces
Holy smokes man I! Well said(written, typed, whatever)
Assholes, everyone at G4.
This should surprise no one, and should have been seen a mile away when they made the push for the Lost syndication. The only show I ever watched from the channel was Code Monkeys, and that's been off the air for 4 years.
Last time when G4 was worth watching: 10 seconds during E3 2010 when ScrewAttack's Keith Apicary was asking about the Dreamcast 2
AOTS was dead when Kevin announced he would be leaving.
That really sucks. I remember when it was branded as "G4:Tech TV". And I remember when Sci-fi before the stupid name change player awesome original content.
Spike junior, eh? Pathetic. Guess they'll be changing format or owner in 2 years, tops.

On the other hand, G4 was the most irritating presence at Comic Con for the last 5 years, both their awful, loud, annoying booth and their obnoxious camp outside hall h taking up vital line space and running those giant noisy trucks at all times.
I was recently listening to some old Bombcasts from 2008-09 and heard Brad give Tim Surette a shout out a few times. I was wondering if that was you.
You do know that it wasn't Olivia Munn who licked the PSP, right? It was Jessica Chobot, who actually does know a thing or two about gaming.
IGN and other video game related media on Youtube = no more need for a traditional television channel dedicated to video games. Still, I have to admit, it makes me feel a bit sad, because it feels like the end of an era
RIP AOTS
G4 started going downhill with Cops reruns.
Uh, I get my geek programming on Youtube. Since the geekandsundry and nerdist channels, and some others came along, G4 hasn't been relevant (arguable before that). The programming on youtube is a lot better, and makes a lot more sense, because geeks don't need no old timey televisions in the first place. I'm slightly sad for Morgan Webb? No, I don't think I am, because this is going to free her up to do more work with geekandsundry and elsewhere on the web where she belongs.
Apple... it is all Apple's fault ok maybe some Facebook in there. Between casual games and polished mobile tech, there really isn't a need for a tech channel as it is now completely mainstream. Besides watching a show rehash news feeds isn't particularly useful anymore.
An end of an era for sure.
This kinda makes me mad. But I'm not a watcher, so I really can't talk. But I loved the idea of G4. Didn't they show some good reruns?
After DirecTV removed G4 I never cared for it anymore. I think the Tech TV era was the best times for G4 until they slowly fired everyone except for Morgan Webb. AOTS and X-Play were the only thing entertaining after that.
Both shows could find a home on the web but they would need to reduce their production budgets.
Both shows died along time ago. Kevin Perarah (yes I spelled that wrong) and Munn both left AOTS, and Morgan Webb is the only one left doing Xplay. Everything G4 was known for has been kept on life support the last year. Its finally pulling the plug.
I was a big fan of TechTV way back when, then they were merged with (got bought out by) G4. Most of TechTV's staff was unceremoniously ousted in short order and many of the shows I loved were canned, most notably The Screen Savers. They at least kept X-Play around, I learned to love AOTS and always looked forward to their awesome coverage of E3 and Comic-Con, but other than that I never watched the network (which seemed to be all COPS and Cheaters reruns). As the talent has been turned over and scaled back over the past year plus, I've watched it less and less. Both shows basically died with the network's ousting of Kevin Pereira and Adam Sessler, after the decision to re-brand the network was made. Not even sure why they are staying on the air, since they laid off most of their behind the scenes staff today. Might as well rip the band-aid off now. I hope someone else will pick up the mantle now that Comcast/NBCUniversal has screwed up and dropped it, even if it's online only. RIP AOTS and X-Play, it was a great run.
The Screen Savers was better. I kind of never forgave AOTS for that.
I'm gonna be honest, I wouldn't know this stuff existed if it wasn't for Olivia Munn...
I heard about G4 getting re branding months ago so the cancellations of these 2 shows doesn't come has a huge shock to me. I think it's sad though that they think that this "mens channel" is going to work. How many channels does one need that shows the same crap.
Staff
I upped my cable subscription (to Premium Choice or something like that) to watch AOTS on G4. While the show sadly lost its main staple in Kevin Pereira a few months back, it was slowly getting better. Terrible news for sure.

Not that I watch this channel, Directv took it way not too long ago, this is a shame, not only is it going to be even more sucky then it already is, it is alienating probably its entire fan base, I honestly hope they die for betraying all the people who watch the channel.
Shame, I like watching some of AOTS. Maybe they can do online content only.
This sucks. Who's going to do proper coverage of E3 now?
I tried to watch both Spike's and G4's coverage, but I really didn't like Spike's. The writing was on the wall though, I cancelled the channel last month.
Well that sucks. X-Play and Attack of the show are great. I bet they are going to drop the Comic Con coverage also. I am hoping that this is a rumor or that G4 will reconsider this horrible decision. If they go through with this they will have alienated a good portion of their audience who come to the network because it has these types of programs, because it caters to a certain type of viewer.
The problem, you see, is that people who are really interested in videogames are not using their TVs to watch cable networks.

I see it as a "greener grass" problem. You start out with a channel that serves a niche, and it's stable and provides a certain number of loyal viewers, whatever that number might be. But the executives start looking around and see that some other niches bring in higher numbers... and suddenly, their own niche isn't good enough any more. You used to see the same thing in radio, back before all the radio stations were owned by the same corporation... a station that played rock one day suddenly becomes the hip-hop station, or top-40, or country. (Watch the first episode of WKRP in Cincinnati for a humorous take on this phenomenon.)