Game of Thrones Hits Bonkers Ratings Numbers in Season 6

Game of Thrones keeps getting bigger and bigger.

According to internal numbers, HBO's flagship series is averaging 23.3 million viewers per episode in Season 6, including first air, repeats, DVR and streaming, USA Today reports. That's up 15 percent over Season 5, the series' previous highest-rated season.

Sunday night premiere ratings are up 6 percent to 7.3 million viewers an episode. Overall TV and on-demand viewership is up 4 percent. But the big story is that streaming viewership on the HBO Go and HBO Now digital platforms is up a whopping 70 percent over last season, with 2.5 million streams an episode.

HBO Go is available to HBO cable subscribers, while HBO Now is a standalone digital service that launched before Game of Thrones' Season 5 premiere.

Game of Thrones' closest competitor, The Walking Dead, averaged 19.4 million viewers in live 7 Nielsen ratings for its Season 6 finale. It's not a perfect comparison, since HBO's numbers measure total views while AMC's are only measuring TV and DVR the first week after the premiere, so it's hard to say which is more popular.

But it's safe to say that Game of Thrones is huge.

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Jun 26, 2016
i would say game of thrones is better the walking dead is boring has hell nothing ever happens and they seem to take over everybodys homes as they move along but game of thrones has everything you could ever want and every season is different and it progresses unlike walking dead
Jun 26, 2016
Nielsen ratings are the worst. It's like 1 family with a nielsen box represents over a thousand people in that area, it's absolute bonkers anyone takes those ratings seriously anymore. DVR and streaming #s are more legitimate then regularly aired #s. Still love both shows, great entertainment
Jun 24, 2016
I expect that GoT would be highest rated because it really is well done and a great show. I still can't figure out TWD, though. Why are so many people still watching this crap?
Jun 25, 2016
TWD is just simple man . Zombies + blood . People love that stuff :) It's the same reason why reality shows like Survivor have lasted so long people just like to switch their brain off and can enjoy some carnage . Personally I stopped watching after the first 2 seasons when they stopped trying to find the cure and just wandered aimlessly from place to place .
Jun 24, 2016
Come on... is still good , not great like the previous seasons but still a good show...
Jun 25, 2016
If your a fan of anime try Kabaneri of the Iron fortress
Jun 24, 2016
It's actually pretty obvious from the numbers you provided that TWD has the higher viewership. I'm wondering though is AMC free-to-air or also a pay-to-view channel like HBO? I'm assuming that neither are free.
Jun 26, 2016
everything is free when you have an eyepatch, a pegleg, and a parrot on your shoulder
Jun 24, 2016
I'm not sure about the US, but here in Canada you have to pay for an extra package to get AMC
Jun 24, 2016
I suspect it's not free. I have a friend in Canada and she gets HBO GO, not sure about AMC. Anyway, I'm just curious because the numbers for HBO always come with the sense of an asterisk to suggest they are not equivalent or unique. I know HBO is considered a premium channel, but if you pay for AMC too what's the difference?
Jun 25, 2016
AMC comes bundled with the basic cable package , like all the generic cable channels . Which you have to have if you have cable tv . Where as HBO is like you said a premium stand alone channel . Well that's how it works where I live :)
Jun 25, 2016
Ahh, ok. Wasn't sure if it was part of a basic cable package in the US or not, as it isn't included in our basic cable package in Canada
Jun 24, 2016
Yeah, I mean if you have to pay for both of them it's not really the "apples to oranges" comparison that many people seem to make it out to be
Jun 25, 2016
@JohnathonOwens -- Ahh good to know, wasn't sure if it was included in basic cable packages in the US or not
Jun 25, 2016
AMC is bundled in with other channels so you dont have to pay extra to get it unlike HBO that even if you have cable still have to pay extra
My thoughts too atm.
Those numbers are Wow!
Dragons beat zombies! I have HBO just to watch GoT
Jun 24, 2016
so it's hard to say which is more popular!GOTH OR Walking dead,
happy that i'm watching both of theme .:)
Jun 24, 2016
Just imagine if they offered an international service that gave those 20 something million people how download (pirate) the episodes a legal, fee-based option to watch the show in real-time.

Even at anywhere from $0.99 to $1.99 per episode, they'd make enough money to create an entirely new show set in Old Valyria and the Age of Dragons!
Jun 23, 2016
It's funny how the ratings go up after they finish with the books.
Jun 25, 2016
Actually the ratings are constantly growing since season 1.
But what goes up after they finished the books is complains about bad writing... ^^
Jun 24, 2016
It's FAR more likely that the increase in numbers is mostly due to their streaming services, HBO GO and HBO Now, both of which are brand new and picking up users.

Actual fans of the show probably haven't grown that much, this show has been uber popular for 5 years
Jun 23, 2016
I guess Martin can retire in peace now.
Jun 26, 2016
I still want those books, diego
Jun 26, 2016
Yes, all that detail for the mind!
Jun 23, 2016
Amazing numbers. And yet they want to finish the show as quickly as possible. They're rushing through parts of the story too quickly right now, and they're only going to do seven episodes next year, and only six (right?) after that.
Jun 27, 2016
nah its good they cut out some of the arcs from the books ... which were slow and most led to nothing .
Jun 23, 2016
I actually think the pace has been good in season six. I'm relieved that the Meereenese knot seems to completely untie by the end of the season. And to be frank - the books weren't getting better by adding more. So it is good to get everything moving - expecially since all the pieces are falling in place for the fight over Westors and the war against the white.
Jun 23, 2016
Funny. You say they´re rushing but I´ve heard plenty of people say that this season is dragging, that nothing much is happening, that the show is losing steam, blah blah. David and Dan just can´t win, can they? I think the show is amazing, and the numbers seem to support that.
Jun 24, 2016
Yeah, I've heard that "nothing is happening" on this show since it started, and I think it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say about a TV show. (I realize of course that you're not the one saying it). It's even more bizarre than the claim that there aren't enough zombies on The Walking Dead. Sometimes I get the urge to ask one of those people to explain what would count as "something", but then I realize that they're probably not capable of making sense anyway.

I think this season has had a pretty good pace (and yes, the show is still amazing, in spite of its flaws), but Battle of the Bastards was really rushing through things. For example, when Theon and Yara showed up in Mereen, I felt like I had missed an episode while I was watching the episode! A scene where they approach the city and team Daenerys react to it wouldn't exactly have been "filler". It would have been good storytelling.

I think they screwed up that episode. What I disliked the most was that Jon Snow was too stupid to be alive. Sure, no one has claimed that he's a genius, but he was smart enough to see that the alliance with the wildlings was necessary, and here he got into a battle that couldn't be won, using tactics that the enemy had chosen for him. In fact, the only time in the episode when he wasn't being a complete idiot was when Sansa was telling him that he was being an idiot, and he agreed. Then he went on to do the exact opposite of what she suggested. One could argue that Jon wanted to die, but he's Jon Snow, not Andreas Lubitz. If he wants to die, he shouldn't be trying to kill himself in a way that will get thousands of his allies killed and the rest of them skinned alive. (That's just the immediate consequence. It will also greatly increase the probability that the entire population of Westeros gets killed by whitewalkers).

A lot of other things didn't make sense in that battle. For example, the giant should have been able to sweep a bunch of those spears to the side with his arms and then run forward through enemy lines. So why didn't he at least try it?

They didn't handle the battle in Mereen any better. How long did it take to arrange a meeting with the Masters outside the city? How was it even possible to arrange it? It seemed that the ships kept hurling flaming projectiles at the pyramid that whole time, so I wonder if Daenerys let them do that (and let them slaughter people in the city) for hours, just to get to deliver a punchline.

All things considered, I think the show is still amazing. Much better than the second best show on TV. But they're making more simple mistakes than I can disregard, and I stand by the comment that they seem to be rushing through things to get to the end quickly.
More +
Jun 24, 2016
While I agree that the notion "nothing happens" is a silly one, on the show Daenarys stalls for almost 6 seasons. She made up her goal to conquer Westeros and to sit the Iron Throne with the help of her dragons and some fighting force at the end of season 1. It took her 5 seasons to finally get it on with it. Similar can be said about the pace of the Winter coming. When does Winter come? It was teased already at the end of last season, but there is still bright daylight and warm/moderate temperatures all over Westeros. Good point with Dany's punchline, I might add Sandor Clegane and his wood-chopping expedition - he hears screams and when he arrives at the camp everyone is dead, the settlement is razed and all the assailants... are gone? How long was he running back, 2 hrs? How could he have heard the screams then? Or did nobody(neither Jon and his host nor the Boltons) see the Arryn army? Have they been cloaked with a device borrowed from the Romulans? And on and on...
Yes, it's a great show with tons of value, but like you wrote, it's hard to disregard the amounting shortcomings. People can say what they want about Martin, but there was little to no nonsense when B&W stayed close to the source. IMO it would have been perfect to scratch complete plot trees, but then staying close as possible to the remaining content - especially to its characters. Tyrion was WAY more better written than he is now.
More +
Jun 28, 2016
@johnmckenzie338658 In all fairness - you're right, those babies needed to grow first.
Jun 27, 2016
to be fair though it takes time for her dragons to grow ..... what's she going to do with 3 baby dragons and a few thousand unsullied if she left a few seasons earlier .
Jun 23, 2016
Comparing HBO and AMC in "dry" numbers is forgetting the fact that HBO is cable TV... were GOT on AMC the numbers would be way higher.
Jun 23, 2016
Not at all surprising considering the (Well deserved) hype of the episode
Jun 23, 2016
They are not talking about any episode in specific but about the ratings of all the season 6 of the show in average :)
Jun 23, 2016
It is still not surprising.
It's the biggest show on TV - really not surprising