Get Your Fill of Nuclear Tension with the Full Pilot of Last Resort (VIDEO)

Not all of the new shows coming out this season are about country singers' age differences or moving to Malibu, doctors working for the mob or being monkeys, or guys with kids or gays who want kids. One of them is a bout a frickin' nuclear submarine commanded by a badass baritone who takes over an island while unraveling a government conspiracy to have him blown up and blamed for starting World War III! Yep, at least one new network show this season—ABC's Last Resort—has balls.

And now you can get a load of those balls in this advanced online preview of the pilot, embedded below. Keep an eye out for Scott Speedman making his triumphant television return to TV, Autumn Reeser in her underwear, and Karen from Falling Skies (Jessy Schram) playing the opposite end of her age range!

That was tense! But how is the show going to stretch this premise out into a full 22-episode season and seasons beyond? Are their Others on the island? Is the submarine haunted? Or will this actually be a good old-fashioned intelligent political thriller?

Last Resort debuts Thursday, September 27 at 8pm on ABC.

impressive. The show can't be about them deserting to a tropical island alone, not withstanding the crime and drugs angle the writers plan to explore there. I'd say the "real action" is going to be on the home-front in the US, because apart from playing chicken with their opponents there's not a lot they can do about it on the island. Maybe we'll see one of the crew going undercover to DC and vice versa of course. We are already seeing internal discontent... Okay, with a bit of imagination there's more to do on the island than I thought. But still, more than one season?
Did they really fire a nuc at DC. . . is nobody worried bout the radition hitting DC
I was. Not to mention the environmental damage to the mid-Atlantic...no fish for you.
Oh man. Why did I decide to watch this?!

... Now I have to wait over two weeks before I get to see what happens next!!

Amazing first episode. Don't you dare cancel it, ABC.
Loved the pilot, quite intense, to be sure. And my god, Autumn Reeser....I'm fairly certain that woman has managed to get even hotter since Human Target and No Ordinary Family.
It's pretty weird. Look at how fat she was last summer:

;)
Autumn Reeser AND Dichen Lachman. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! You know what I'm sayin'?! But daamn.
This is garbage. They're playing too fast and loose with subject matter that is very serious and extremely orderly.

Subs DO NOT fire immediately after authenticating a fire order. The fire order goes on a countdown clock and missles sit at ready in case the order is repealed.

Secondly, the show is plain stupid. This would NEVER HAPPEN in any reality!

The concept is bad, the acting is bad, the action is bad. This show is just plain bad.

WILL NOT get past the first season, if that even. I'd say its cancelled before the 6th episode airs.
They are also positing an us vs them dynamic and forgetting that their audience is in fact the US. It is such an old fashioned premise that has no place in a post-9-11 world.
aaaand i cant see it =I whhhy this region thing ?! , i call it censoring!
I'm in! Loved it and can't wait to see where they take this show!
I enjoyed the program and it should do well. What other story lines will include the sub and the crew? Who where the two people they have in the truck.? Are the us attacking this sub for a reason and also we need to know more about the Navy Seals
The two in the truck are Brannan and Cortez. You can see them near the beginning when the Ex-O is making his rounds. Brannan was all like "Bitch this and ho that" and Cortez was all like "No one has molested my "rack", sir". The Seal Team's mission obviously went wrong. Hopper, the wounded guy, said they killed the wrong people and James is going all crybaby and blaming himself for starting this whole mess.
The pilot was a fun watch. I'm skeptical about long-term sustainability, and there were a few characters (and/or actors) that I didn't like, but it was pretty entertaining.

One small note: I'd have liked Robert Patrick to have been a "good" good guy. He's ALWAYS the bad guy or "bad" good guy... I know he has the face for it, but I'd like to see him in a different role. Maybe he has and I just haven't seen it.

Also: Autumn Reeser... Yum.
He was a good guy on X files.
it was good but i'm not sure if it will survive long at that time not srong enough for it maybe at 10 will do better
Having read all the comments below (30 at time of writing) I can't believe the reception this show is getting. I thought it was disappointing. Why is a drama about politics and the military on at 8 pm? What possible draw could this hold for anyone that isn't an adult? I understood why FOX did it with Tera Nova - dinosaurs - but a politically driven military based espionage/conspiracy thriller? I can't see 13/14 year olds being too excited about it for too long.

I'm complaining about the timeslot because I assume that was the reason why it was lacking a bit in the drama stakes. The dialogue was certainly pulling punches, some of it was just ripped off from other shows/films, particularly the scene in the bar with the "navy seal" guy talking to the guy "who owns the island" that went something like "I'll take him first, then two in the chest for the big guy... blah, blah, blah". And did anyone else immidiately guess that there would be a "connection" between said "navy seal" guy and Dichen Lachman's character? And why don't attractive women randomly hug me in bars when I'm ten sheet to the wind and crying into by whiskey? Ridiculous. They've just met and the "navy seal" and his companions have just forceably taken control of the island. I don't think anyone on that island would be welcoming them any time soon.

Plus, that island is obviously territory of another country, so what are they going to say about a rogue U.S. submarine Captain claiming it as the new home for his Dictatorship? That Captain is just a little too off his rocker.

The sexist comments towards Daisy Betts character... huge suprise there, wow, I can't believe they did that, if only other shows had dared to go there over the last 30 years... oh, hang on a second.

This was obviously a male writers oriented plot devise to show that "Yes we've put a women in a prominent position, but look how tough she can be when two of her subordinates conform to TV steriotypes."

The worst part? Yep, the nuke that landed in the middle of the atlantic, 200 hundred miles off the coast "so no-one will get hurt" - except for the numerous ships and planes that were currently traveling through one of the worlds busiest shipping routes; the untold damage to the fishing industry; the 30-40 years worth of polluted water and the airborn toxic waste that will drift to shore. But yeah, crazy Captain, no-one will get hurt.

This show was the one I was most looking forward to. Now I'm worried that it's going to be this seasons Terra Nova. The cast is good but the acting was a mixed bag, although that usually settles down over time. I'll be giving this the four episode test and praying that it improves. The writing certainly needs to improve. The biggest concern I have though, is the same one shared by Tim. How long can this go on for? The "rouges" have the ability to speak directly to the public so the truth will get out quickly. How long can The U.S. carry on with a military conspiracy in place? I noticed that everything seemed to come through the deputy SoD, which implies that the conspiracy is below the level of the President, so how long would it take The U.S. Government to weed out a conspiracy? If you ask Jack Baure, about 12 years! At the moment, I can't this one this will lasting for one.
Some of these are legit complaints, which I'm sure we all noticed, but which didn't dim our excitement b/c most pilots have these problems. However, I think your complaint about the sexism is weird b/c there's a lot of sexism in the Navy, so they were probably just trying to be realistic, albeit rather heavy handedly. Also, your timeslot complaint is bizarre. Think about the bed time of the age range you're complaining about. They're watching all of prime-time. You might as well say why is this on at 9 or 10 if teens are your concern. Also, who cares if kids are interested or not; just b/c they're not doesn't mean adults won't watch it. Also, I distinctly remember being about 14 when 24 came out and I loved that shit.
The show went pretty much as I expected. This kind of conspiracy is pretty much impossible to keep under wraps and it would have to involve the sitting President - whoever that is. I also believe that it's impossible to keep something like this contained for any length of time. Unfortunately there are just too many holes in this one to even make it plausible. That said, it's a fun concept just right for Bruce Davison and Autumn Reeser. Perhaps the 8 PM time slot IS for the kids. I know when I was a kid I would have loved this. But why Andre Braugher? He's too good to do bad TV. I thought Blair Underwood was but he did some idiotic cop show that got really bad and then The Event which was ridiculous. I have to believe they've thought this out and have a story to tell and only time will tell. But no way does this go past one season for obvious reasons. The sub has to go whoever caused it to be there because there's simply no way to sustain a conspiracy of this magnitude. Perhaps it will end by them all going to heaven in a little row boat...

Until then, I'll watch...
More +
This show seems to be a very good one. This is so different from the rest of the shows that are being put out. Good Job ABD for taking a chance on something of this magnitude
Excellent! Can't wait for the rest of it!
Awesome! This was already my number 1 most anticipated, and now I'm just about ready to die from excitement. Can't we just start watching it now? I'm not sure I understand why we're doing this online premier thing this season. I can't stop myself from watching now, but it's not going to make ep. 2 come any faster, and now I'm not going to watch the first ep when it premiers on tv b/c I've already seen it.
After finally watching this on Spoilertv I have to say ...

Best Pilot since Lost !!!

Can't wait for the rest of the series - I hope they can keep the standards up
Wow... This show is amazing and I really enjoyed the Pilot episode! I really connected with the characters who had instant depth and I loved how the story played out! This show has real potential to be the next Battlestar Galactica as someone else had said. I am already hooked on the intrigue, suspense and drama!
loved this pilot!
Great premiere - can't wait to see how this shows storyline plays out. Really has a Lost feel to it now, not sure if that's bad or good. Excited to see a story centered around submarines. Been a while since Hunt for Red October and Crimson Tide. Scott Speedmans character works for me - was a bit worried about that. Andre Braugher intense as usual.
Wow that was bad. Paper thin premise, unlikable characters, and I guess I'm supposed to be on the side of the dude threatening to nuke the United States?

It's like half the scenes you could see the conversation between the writers: W1: We need to tell them how bad a** the boat is. W2: People are getting bored, let's show a girl in her underwear. We need to show them the show isn't going to be all military guys, where's the soap! W1: What if we have the girl in her underwear tell the audience about the boat's capabilities, so they know that we'll have some sexy times and they'll get why the US doesn't just blow up the boat with a long-range missile. W2: Perfect!

My eyes hurt from all the rolling.
They can't blow it up with a long range missile. The Cap would nuke the US before it hit and then we'd all be screwed. Of course they could just invade through the giant plot hole and take the sub back.
Yes, and we learned that capability from the weird foreplay scene with the girl in her underwear. That was a fake plot decision conversation I made up.

But, I agree a quick invasion would probably end everything the only fights on the boat are the Seals and they don't seem to be on Cap Nuking the US seems like a great plan's wavelength.

Or China could blow it up, because they don't want a rogue nuclear power just chilling on an island somewhere.
Agreed.
great, i can't see it.

AGAIN.
Good concept, but I do get a Battlestar Galactica Lite vibe from it, which is no criticism by any stretch of the imagination. I see the concept thriving a lot longer than the concerns presented in the article (refer to, once again, BSG.)

If there's one gripe I'd have with the show, it's the writing. Always the killer. I couldn't have been the only one laughing when the "speaker box voice" responded to the DC nuclear bomb: "you're bluffing!" The tone was equal to primary school yard antics. In fact, all of the speaker box dialogue came off sounding ridiculous. Not sure how that wasn't caught. Some of the dialogue and character actions were clearly written to force situations into the plot, logic be damned. Hopefully these gripes won't be consistent throughout. The show isn't that bad, and it's definitely worth a few more looks.
Wow really good pilot! Definitely has me hooked. Could well be the next Homeland if they do it right.

For all other non-USers, you can watch it here:

the sound is out of sync a little, but if it bothers you just open it up in two tabs, set one to play just before the other and mute the one that's out of time :)
Or download it from a bittorrent site*, and play it in VLC media player. If the audio is out of sync, you can set a delay (positive or negative) using the j and k keys.

*) That can't possibly be illegal in this case.
I understand it's not illegal for your own use, you just can't share it with anyone...
I think I'll wait for the TV premiere, or at least for a 720p rip.
can't wait to see what happens next!
Really want to watch this show, hopefully it gets an Australian broadcaster in time because the last (potential) broadcaster pulled out of their deal with SONY so currently LR is homeless here which is very very bad.
more than likely no (free to air) channel will pick it up for at least 2 seasons, and by then everyone who had any interest will have already downloaded it illegally anyway. As per always.
absolutely gripping episode. Probably the top pilot I've seen in a long time. Please make this one spectacular season and don't let it drag on.
See put women on subs and the world goes to hell in a handbasket hehe and the captain was wrong, i watched Red October and you can shoot up a sub just fine :) (a joke).

Kinda surprised that a cabal wouldnt have made sure to pick a more sympathetic captain to launch the missles but maybe they were under a time constraint.

Dumbest drug runners ever. Lets see take military hostages and expect to win. Darwinism award here.

Will watch just to find out these questions.

If the President isnt part of the cabal, what is his/her response?

I guess this captain is like captain kirk, couldnt kill kirk with a photon torpedo(Anti-matter bomb) and cant kill this capt with a nuclear cruise missile. Will he be as good with the ladies...

When will the green peace boat arrive to protest the killing of innocent fish off the eastern coast.

What response from the Pakistan Gov for the missle command (arcade game) strikes. (Not a question but) Was it just me or did those missles seem really fast lol. Not sure where St Marcos is but figure its in the Indian Ocean. Both the missile strikes on Pakistan and eastern coast seemed to take under 30 sec for the former and under 5mins for the later.

How many more of the Crew mutiny? Besides the CoB and his 2 guys.

How long before a CNN reporter shows up on the island?

And finally

How many episodes ABC will let this show run before cancelling. While it looks interesting, i cant see a huge number watching this. Unless its a reality show or 1/2 hour comedy its pretty much toast now days on networks.

Excellent Pilot. A lot better than Revolution's. I really wonder how this thing can go on for 22 episodes, let alone 4-6 seasons in a good run. I hope it can though. As long as it maintains this quality, a lot of stories can be told.

Definitely looking forward to this one and will watch it weekly. It has replaced Revolution as my most-awaited show for the season.

i am going to love this show i can't wait.
I never was a "Lost" fan, or saw a single episode, but I do remember that the "Others" refer to the non-main survivors that were in the other half of the plane. But again, I must correct another typo: "Are **there (not their) Others....."

I enjoyed it, it kind of reminded me of Red October.
They totally botched the Red October movie. The book was one of the best I've ever read, the movie, meh...
Original Survivors = Main Cast of Season 1

Tailies = The other half of the plane, discovered and merged in season 2.

The Others = The natives on the island, many recurring in S1 and S2 and made main cast in season 3.

The frater peoples = People that came to the island at the end of S3, made main cast in S4, and eventually brought the survivors off of the island, with a few plot twists involved.

The Dharma Initiative = Many became main cast in season 5 after recurring in earlier seasons
Who cares, they all went to heaven in a little row boat...
The people in the other half of the plane were not the "others".
You had me at "Autumn Reeser in her underwear"
FABULOUS. You can get a non-US version on spoilertv
Damn you U.S. only videos! I want this show now! Why has no-one uploaded this yet?
Now that's the way to do a pilot, it's got me really excited to see more. Let's hope the action gets more intense with each episode.
Thought it looked great (watched it earlier on Yahoo). It seems more fit for a movie than a TV show, but we'll see how it goes.

If nothing else, it's a way to watch Autumn Reeser on the small screen. I'd watch Toddlers and Tiaras if she was on that.
Yeah, like Autumn...