Glee: Panic at the Disco

Glee S03E16: “Saturday Night Glee-ver”

For the record, if last night had been an acceptable night to break out the Glee drinking game, that “take a drink every time someone talks about their dreams” rule would have had The Boyfriend and I on the floor before the halfway point of this episode.

Graduation is upon the members of New Directions and while some of them have big exciting plans for life after high school, quite a few of them don’t. So like a good overly involved extracurricular activity overlord, Schue decided to enlighten his stragglers with the power of Saturday Night Fever. Yes. John Travolta in bell bottoms. Who knew disco was so inspiring?

Finn agonized over whether he should go to New York with Rachel or to LA with Puck. I’m not entirely sure where we ended up on that front. Apparently Rachel decided to not be a selfish brat and Finn decided to go to New York and be an actor because it would make her happy anyway.

Santana decided that her dream was to be famous. Or infamous. Whichever one got her on TV, really. Ladyfriend Brittany decided to “help” her girlfriend meet that dream by uploading their sex tape to the internet and buying her a heaping helping of bull testicles because “If you want to be famous, you have to eat crazy food.”

Brittany’s logic was sound and twisted and it was no surprise to me that Sue was pulling some of the strings behind that particular wacky plan. In the end, Santana decided to shelve her plans of world domination (for the time being) and attend college on a full cheerleading scholarship. Do those actually exist?

And finally, Mercedes vocalized her dream to be the next big music star, only to back down on her aspirations when the technical details of achieving that dream eluded her. While her audience sat around the dance floor with their sad little horrified faces as she donned the pragmatism pants, I realized that Mercedes might be the only Gleek with critical thinking skills and for that, I applaud her.

Buzzkill high-five, girlfriend!

But because this is Glee and it would be awful if one of the members of New Directions had to, you know, be realistic about life after high school, Sam shot a cell phone video of Mercedes’ performance and uploaded it to YouTube, where she promptly received a buttload of pageviews and reveled in minor internet fame. Sweet, sweet minor internet fame.

So it's looking like Finn is the only boat still navigating the big, dreamless ocean of Oh-God-Do-I-Actually-Have-to-Graduate? Sure, he picked New York at the end of “Glee-ver” but I’m not convinced that his heart was in it. Sucks for him. Sucks for the rest of us too, actually, because if I have to sit through another hour of watching the Gleeks find their dreams, I might have to don a highly flammable authentic polyester reproduction of John Travolta’s Saturday Night Fever suit and light a match.

Questions:

1. I actually really dug the disco soundtrack for this episode, especially Mercedes’ performance. What was your favorite? Or is disco dead?

2. Do you think Finn will follow through with New York?

I really liked this episode but it wasn't perfect. The best part was the songs. I've been obsessed with that soundtrack forever and disco is not dead. They didn't totally nail the performances though and the falsettos (falsetti?) weren't the best. So I'll vote for Night Fever because it was the most ensemble and was least affected by strange interpretations. The motivational side was good but a little simplistic.

Even though I love Saturday Night Fever music, I get the impression that Bee Gees disco is not 'high-brow disco' (I seriously doubt that that's a real thing) because they weren't part of the organic roots of disco. But the quality of the songs is undeniable.
I actually was loving and singing along to all the songs. I loved the Disco. I was surprised that I loved it that much but Saturday Night Fever was awesome so I suppose I shouldn't have been that surprised. It had a nice vibe.

Overall...I enjoyed the episode but then I found myself analyzing things too. For starters, we have yet to have full disclosure of who all is graduating. It's up in the air and all confusing and characters I thought were Juniors are suddenly Seniors. Also...the lack of focus on characters for the past few seasons makes their impending departure all the more difficult to swallow. Characters like Mike (Harry JUST got promoted to starring role rather than guest star this year) and Tina, Mercedes etc are all characters that we've seen since the beginning but still don't know very much about because they opted to give us excessive Rachel, Finn, Kurt, sometimes Puck and Quinn and even Blaine. Blaine. How is it that we know more about Blaine than we do some of the characters who've been there from the beginning?! So seeing that these characters are going to graduate is bittersweet because I still feel like I've been deprived of the chance to actually get to know them and see them develop. They tertiary storylines at best! It makes me gobble up every single scene that they are in whether it makes sense or not. Like Shue's description of Santana and Mercedes were sort of off...those weren't the issues that those girls suffered from. Plus a couple of weeks before the kids are supposed to graduate he suddenly realizes that some of them lack guidance and direction?! Oh Shue! And why is no one speaking to Puck? why does Puck have such little screentime?! I mean why not try to guide Puck into some direction that isn't poolboy and man w***e. Or Sam. Is he a Senior? And if so...what guidance is he getting...what's his future looking like? And is Artie a Senior?

I love Samcedes! I only wish that they had more time to draw them out and such. I was thrilled to see them make it official again...I guess? Even though it came out of nowhere and sandwiched in between other stuff. Santana's going to cheerleeding college? They have one of those?! She applied to one of those?! Brittany applied for her?! It still isn't a direction...what does she plan on majoring in or doing or what?! It just seemed so...random. In a way it's like they brought the very real angst and confusion up regarding graduation and these kids being lost and then they never actually resolved the issue but tried to give the illusion that they did. Alex's character was interesting but so ridiculously brief his appearance was. Oy. Sue was hilarious.
Alex Newell's character has been the best Glee project character to date in my opinion. Way to go Alex.
totally agree
Well, I grew up on disco because my parents were and still are huge disco fans, so no, I don't think disco is dead. Of course a majority of the kids watching Glee-- myself included-- are young and have never been exposed to that type of music. It doesn't surprise me that many of the Gleeks disliked the episode. But to answer the question, Mercedes and Santana's performance were my favorites and to be honest...as far a Finn goes, I couldn't care less. Finn lost my respect as a character when he decided to give his backbone (and his metaphorical balls) to one Miss Rachel Berry. So yeah, I think Finn will go with Rachel because Finn has no sense of self-worth. Alright. I'm done.
i hated it especially disco soundtrack it is definitly dead
I wonder if you got paid for that recap...........................................
Are you implying it was bad? I think she did a great job. If you don't like it go read one of the other thounsand Glee reviews.
Considering writing for tv.com is her job, I would say yes, she probably did.
Doesn't look like that. I think they made her write this recap by torturing. I mean, if you hate the show AND cannot write, maybe this job is not your piece of cake? No offence, but my little sister does her homework with more enthusiasm and creativity than you showed in this review. Maybe you should give this job to people (Tim, Price, Lily, SETH!) who LIKE it and CAN write.

Didn't want to be offensive, but this recap is awful.
Completely agrees with AnimeMadness. I'll just add that this episode was clearly a filler, the kind with no creativity at all. Only Unique's performance was worth to watch. The rest, they just made disco more boring than it already is... At least, it showed that Glee's cast is not as versatile as they pretend it to be.
I didn't care much for last night's episode. Twenty minutes into I was already wishing it was over. All the performances were just so boring to watch. I'll admit I'm not much of a disco fan but I just seemed like the performances were too tamed when they could have gone all out with lights and shiny things and whatnot...

The only parts I truly enjoyed was Wade's performance, Santana and Brittany's scenes (LOVE her cat!), Sue saying she got a world class designer working on the suit and then cutting to Becky sewing the suit, Sam showing off his stripper moves in the beginning of the episode. By the way, is Sam graduating?

Other than that, everyone else made me want to bash my head against the wall. I'm tired of listening to Rachel and Finn's problems. Hopefully they will be a little less annoying now that Finn knows what he wants to do... But I still can't help but to think the writers tossed career ideas into a hat and randomly chose Finn's future. Sure he likes performing but when has he ever actually showed an interest in acting? Where was he when they were putting on West Side Story?

Another person I was annoyed with was Shue. He was worried about Finn, Mercedes, and Santana's goals, but what about PUCK?!!! Is everyone okay with him being a pool boy for the rest of his life? Puck is one of the only character's I'm interested in and he has no screen time at all. What makes it worse is it's his final year. UGH!

Where were Rory and Quinn!!??!! (Who cares about Sugar - not me).

I am usually the ultimate Gleek. When others are putting it down I am defending it but last nights disco episode was not good, not good at all.

I did enjoy Alex's performance. I was not a fan of him or Samuel on The Glee Project but both of them are great on Glee! Was also happy to see Jonathan Groff back on Glee even if he is playing an unpleasant character and we didn't get to hear him sing!

I really hope next weeks episode is better (and there is more Rory). I always live in hope :)

I only saw the last half but - was Quinn in the episode? I only saw one wheelchair in the dance numbers. WHATS GOING ON WITH QUINN?

This is like that time they made us wonder where she was living for like 5 episodes.

Glee, I love you, but you make it hard sometimes, when one episone you are all "PAY ATTENTION TO THIS" then you NEVER talk about it again...
1. Disco IS Dead and dead for a reason

2. This is Ryan Murphy, he never goes for the happy ending. Just look at Nip/Tuck. Something tells me that there is going to be a heartbreak between Finn and Rachel, How often do you hear of someone who is still with their high school sweetheart?
What the heck happened? Daddy's Girl and Leprechaun Guy were nowhere to be found. We only saw Wheelchair #2 during Santana's performance.

But rejoice, at least we got a lot of Sandaled Dreadlock Jesus in the background!
it was an alright episode, about in the middle of the good scale. probably has to do with the music though, which I wasn't really a fan of.

Also where were Sugar and Rory this episode? Did they mention it and I just missed or something? and I'm so over this Rachel and Finn being engaged thing, it was a stupid idea to begin with but now it takes up sooooo much of the episodes. Sam's hardly been featured the past few episodes and last night was barely any better, but atleast he had some screen time! I always thought he was a better singer and more interesting than Finn. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Finn but they're focusing too much on Rachel and Finn (and sometimes Kurt and Blaine) now and letting all of the other characters drop off.. I'm still annoyed by last week, they totally skipped over months of storyline to do with Quinn's car wreck and her and Artie were barely shown this episode, I think I might've seen Quinn once.
Mercedes performance was my fave along with Blaine's in the beginnign with Mike and Brittany dancing backup.

I think Finn prolly will go to New York with Rachel. Otherwise there'd be less of a sotryline
Here's a question: How old is Mr. Schuester if his Glee club went to nationals with disco music? Saturday Night Fever came out in the 70's, and its popularity peaked before the heavy metal wave of the early 80's. Ergo, Schuester must be on the upside of 45.
I don't think disco was current when he went to nationals. If glee clubs can do disco in 2012, I'm not sure why they couldn't do it in, say, 1995.
I'm pretty sure he mentions it in the pilot when they show the flashback then.. it was in the early 90s is all i remember
Except that probably the most important factor in music selection is that the kids WANT to do the songs selected. I don't see any kids wanting to do disco at any time after 1980. There is, um, a scarcity of enduring hits from the disco era. (Also the hair-metal era that followed upon its heels, of course... and most of the enduring hits of that era are power ballads, which are actually suited to glee club performance.) Disco was a fad. Once a fad is over, there's nothing deader.
(I feel so old) there was a disco revival in the early nineties...
Grunge was the fad in the early nineties. I was living in Seattle at the time...
And yet the New Directions did an entire week of Disco at the end of which, despite initial griping, everyone concluded that they'd had fun. Disco is crazy conducive to the kind of over the top stuff glee clubs do, and while Mr. Schuester might give the kids some say in the setlist, there's no evidence that all coaches do.
Absolutely loved Disco Inferno. One of Amber's best!

He'll probably end up in NYC with Rachel and Kurt. They need to be somewhere together to get viable storylines for Season 4.
So Seth Abramovitch is gone for good huh.
why? why?! WHY?! Anybody's better than MARYANN! The worst recap in history! Shame on you, Mary!
Disco is dead. I saw it happen. Also, does the author look 11 to anyone else? Just me? Ok.
I'm pretty surprised you made no mention of Unique, whose performance of Boogie Shoes totally stole the show. Not to mention the inevitable backlash Glee will take over daring to include a transgender character. I mean, they previously changed the lyrics in "Sweet Transvestite" from "transsexual Transylvania" to "sensational Transylvania, so obviously they are aware that those kids are at best woefully misunderstood.
1- the disco soundtrack was really great I think disco is immortal!!! i don't know which performance is my favorite because they were great!

2- don't know... but i think he'll stay in Ohio with rachel