Glee: Pity Party

Glee S03E19: “Prom-a-saurus”

In the aftermath of last week’s emotional smackdown, we gathered at McKinley High to dance with tyrannosaurs and brontosauruses because Brittany morphed into a brat while we weren't paying attention to her the past few weeks and decided that the prom theme would be “dinosaurs.”

Actually, that’s a pretty amazing idea. I can’t even tell you what my prom theme was because it was painfully generic, with lots of tin-foil stars and pastel swag and Christmas lights. Lo, my most vivid memory of prom is the nice police officers crashing the continental breakfast to take my soon-to-be-ex away. Apparently his definition of “borrowing” a car was a little flawed. Yup. That happened.

I can’t even name my king and queen. Or picture them. Sure, I could drag out a yearbook and check, but frankly, I don’t care that much because in the grand scheme of life, prom ultimately ranks low on the “important events” meter.

Unless, of course, you’re there. I don’t remember the theme, the court, or even what color my dress was (green, I think, maybe?) but I remember being out of my mind with anticipation and excitement in the weeks leading up to the big night. So while the whiplash of going from emotional devastation to party time in the span of one Glee episode was jarring—and frustrating, because I’m anxious to see where Beiste’s story goes—it was also a fairly accurate representation of how the prom mindset tends to work, right down to Rachel throwing herself a literal pity party when prom festivities began to overshadow the great and terrible angst she suffered after blowing her NYADA audition.

In her voice-over, Rachel said she was working on making peace with her new lot in life. She'd decided to concentrate on smaller goals and dreams, setting her sights on prom. However, when she was not announced as a final contender for prom queen, and Quinn was, inspiring the launch of a joint campaign with Finn, Rachel decided to throw the fabled “anti-prom party.”

The anti-prom is a fine tradition and Rachel managed to organize a fun guest list: Blaine, who was boycotting prom due to Brittany’s strict "no hair gel" policy; Kurt, for fear of being voted prom queen again; Puck, because he was sick of failing at life (in this case, he was afraid he wouldn't be able to spike Sue Sylvester’s “prombrosia” punch); and Becky, who was also disappointed at her exclusion from royal consideration. It could have been a fun crowd, but Rachel was not in the mood to have fun, and the rest of her guests failed to adequately plan for activities that weren’t prom.

“Strip poker?” Becky suggested.

The response was a resounding no.

At the dance, Quinn and Santana butted heads over who was the rightful prom queen. Finn found out that Quinn’s physical therapy was going resoundingly well and she appeared to be well on her way to a full recovery. Quinn begged him to keep his mouth shut when he caught her standing up in the ladies room. She said she wanted to save the big reveal for the right moment—being crowned queen—but really, she was angling for sympathy votes. Classy.

Finn huffed off to rescue Rachel from anti-prom, only to find that most of the anti-prom crowd had given up on amusing themselves. Almost everyone decided to suck it up and go to the dance anyway. Oh god, Blaine’s poor poofy hair.

The only anti-prom goers who stayed behind were Becky and Puck. Becky got her strip poker and totally owned Puck. Nice Star Wars underoos. I’m totally jealous. Right before being forced to bare all, Puck floated the idea of crashing prom anyway. He crowned himself king and made Becky his anti-queen and the duo tag-teamed an effort to spike Sue’s prom punch with rousing success. Maybe the victory will push Puck out of his “I’m-a-loser” mindset. I get that flunking geography was a huge blow, but I can’t help but wonder why he doesn’t just go to summer school, rather than repeat an entire year.

Oh, right, we need an excuse to keep Mark Salling around.

In the end, Santana and Quinn’s squabbling over the crown was ultimately for naught. They tied, then decided out of the goodness of their hearts (or something) to crown Rachel the prom queen, because in the real world, when life doesn’t go your way, the popular kids band together to cheer you up.

Hey, at least there were cheerleaders gyrating wildly with giant dinosaur helmets strapped to their heads. That was pretty great, definitely less confusing than the continued perpetuation of this bizarre fantasyland high school where everything is beautiful and nothing hurts—for more than an episode or two, or unless the Powers That Be determine we need to inject some random drama into the fray.

Gleeful Thoughts:

1. Hey guys, Quinn can walk! Raise your hand if you DIDN’T see that coming.

2. What do you think Tina's been up to lately?

3. I wasn’t wild about any of the musical performances in “Prom-a-saurus,” but for the sake of picking SOMETHING, I’m going with “You are a Dinosaur” just because the giant dinosaur heads made me smile. Which performance did you like the best?

MaryAnn Sleasman, instead of dedicating half of the recap to your personal life affaires, try to write good reviews. It's obvious you won't be able to write as Tim, Price or Lily, but it will be a beginning. This site is a source of information about TV shows, not your personal diary, you know.

I liked this episode except for a couple of things:

1)THAT KE$HA SONG SUCKS!!!!!!! my god i wanted to stick something in my ears to not hear it!

2) I did not like big girl's dont cry i think kurts voice did not go with that song!

3)becky being a bitch! i did not like it!

everything else i liked! I want to see what happens and who leaves this year for sure to see if i will watch next season! but honestly sooo many of the cast are leaving that i adore that it's gonna suck! btw anyone else thinks that Rachel choking was a mistake for the show i mean! come on to have such a bright future to now just wanting to be Mrs. Finn Hudson?!?!?!?!? hopefully during nationals whoopi will see her and say she's in or something of the sort!!!
Got to say from how the series has panned out, I really hope it is the last. All the characters have gone even more two dimensional, with about as much care and empathy going into story lines than someone being stoned to death. This has now jumped the shark and landed right into moby's jaws - someone rescue it or let is dissolve in it's own stomach acid. It's over.
this episode was awful not even a single good song i only liked Rachel dress guess thts something.
I thought Santana looked amazing, and I liked the song she sang with Brittany & Tina.

Quinn recovering has been obvious from the start, putting her in the chair in the first place was the mistake in that storyline.

I liked the scene between Santana & Rachel in the choir room, Santana totally called Rachel on her pity party, and for once it was done honestly without the snarky insult that usually ruins Glee. I'm over this show mainly because of the ridiculousness of Sue, and the horrid swimming replacement. The monologues of insult have gone too far.

Isn't Tina a junior? That was made glaring obvious in one of the video reports done by the geek (I've lost enough interest to forget names...). But tied in the with Mike planning his future, there has been no mention of Tina's other than her supporting him and (perhaps) wanting to act.

The episode wasn't the worst this season, and it was nice to see some of the old faces - Figgins, Emma (but no lines?), even Shue relegated to a corner (not that I mind that so much). The problem is the core cast is just too big. Rory, Sugar (not in this one?), Joe, Becky (who had potential and while I applaud the writers for making her different, but a mini Santana, really?) they take up space that used to be for Tina, Artie (any lines?) etc. Even Mercedes got, what, three lines on the dance floor with Sam...

Sigh, the more I write the more I realise why I won't be tuning in for the next season. I'll see this one out, but I can't see where season four can go... Apologies for the rant...
As usual Rachel and Finn annoyed the hell out of me. I though Finn was being a little hard on Quinn. Becky actually got on my nerves too which is rare because I like her. She's a lucky b*tch for playing strip poker with Puck... Damn. I didn't really care for any of the song choices either.

Loved Brittany's theme! Dinosaurs are awesome. I'm adding the dino-helmet to my Christmas list. Rachel also really looked pretty in her dress.
So... i kinda feel u were way harsh on Rachel this episode. she wasnt upset that she wasnt nominated, she was upset because the one good thing in her life at the moment (Finn) was campaining with his ex girlfriend. who he has chosen over Rachel before in the past. cut the girl some slack! and it wasnt her fault that her anti prom sucked, no one came... it just wasnt thought out enough. it wasnt a pity party, she thought up the idea when she discovered that Blaine and Kurt didnt wanna go either. she didnt throw the party so all could sit around and talk about "poor" Rachel. also Quinn ad Santana didnt tie, Quinn won by one vote.
I haven't been watching Glee for a while and from the description I was half expecting the big reveal for Quin to be that she'd had a sex change! (Standing up in the ladies room etc).

With Glee you never know.
That was arguably the most unsatisfying, most dreadfully dull episode of Glee to date. For whatever reason I found my eyes glazing over during most of the dialogue and I had to fast forward through most fo the singing and pop an Advil. In comparasion to last season's Prom themed episode...I'd say this one was a dud. It just screamed filler.
I completely agree.
Okay, I know there aren't many dinosaur songs around (well, at least, not without dipping into Barney's pool), but I'm surprised "Walk the Dinosaur" by Was (Not Was) wasn't featured somewhere. I mean, I definitely would've preferred that to whatever that song was Brittany was singing.
Didn't the B52s cover the Flintstone's Theme once. They could have include that. It's sort of dinosaurs.
Agreed. That song was so bad, I wanted to jam my eyes out and stuff them in my ears so I couldn't hear it.. or just skip that part.
We got a Ke$ha performed by Brittany after all. People have been wanting to see that since the first time she began singing.

1. I'm sitting firmly on my hands on this one.

2. It's a shame that the focus on the characters has been so uneven. In the beginning (gosh, it's been three years already) Tina was one of the main characters. She and Rachel were the main ladies in the club. She had her solos, and the plot lines with the stutter and Artie. But this season, especially during the second half, she has been a complete sideshow. Do we even know what she is planning for her future? Or is she returning next season?

3. I have to pick "You are a Dinosaur". Brittany has always had the most fun performances: up-beat and a lot of dancers, never a ballad as far as I remember.
tina is a junior so her plans for her future is finish high school at MKHS i hope and prob next season we will see what she decides to do college wise i mean.
Brittany already performed a Ke$ha song.. the Blame it on the Alcohol episode. she performed Tik Tok. also the beginning of this season Tina was featured with Mike Chang about the whole his family not wanting him to dance thing.
The Tik Tok bit was great. Tina and Brittany should take centre stage and jettison rachel and finn to texas or something....
it didn't surprise me one bit quinn was milking her injury for votes. i mean, it is quinn we;re talking about.

and can i just say that none of them would be elligible for prom court anyway? in a school, whatever class the prom is centered around (i.e. junior or senior) then its not centered around the same class two years in a row! because quinn and them were up for prom court their junior year, logistically, the juniors of that year would be up for prom court, not the seniors who have already been up for prom court. like in last years prom ep when quinn said you only have one shot at junior prom, if you have the chance to be elected again, then you have more than one shot, don't you? and yes i know that glee follows no logic but its own but that irked me

and next weeks ep is allegedly centerd around tina, seriously, i think she;s the only one who can complain about not getting enough spotlight
Man, Rachel looked stunning in her prom dress. HUBBA HUBBA!