Glee: Rachel Has Two Daddies

Glee S03E13: "Heart"

There are some things you can never plan for, nor should you want to plan for them, but then fate steps in anyway, and creates a moment. One moment in time, you might say. That happened on this week’s Glee, a Valentine’s Day episode that featured a dramatic performance of Whitney Houston’s signature song, “I Will Always Love You,” by Mercedes. The writers could never have known that this would come so soon after Houston’s death, or that it would echo the emotional tribute performance by Jennifer Hudson at the Grammys just two nights earlier. And to Fox’s credit, none of the promos were re-cut to promote this as Glee’s memorial to Whitney. It was just an unhappy accident, but one that almost certainly moved many Glee fans to tears, just as it did Sam, to whom it was dedicated.

But let's back up: In the rehearsal room, Sugar Motta bought her love by giving Mr. Schue the money needed for costumes, hairspray, and dance belts at Regionals, sparing New Directions from delivering singing telegrams in school. Then Sugar announced her dad had rented out (drum roll, Rachel! No, Rachel, that’s a drum fill) Breadstix so his daughter could have the Valentine’s Day of her dreams. Only couples were invited, except Sugar was single, which made no sense, and Artie and Rory battled to win her affections. (Question: So we like Sugar Motta now? I’m still not sure I understand what she brings to the show.)

Finally, finally, finally, we met Rachel’s two gay dads, the ones mentioned as a throwaway joke in the pilot. Jeff Goldblum and Broadway star Brian Stoke Mitchell played the dads, and while at first I had a hard time buying Goldblum as gay, by the time the dinner party rolled around and he was yammering on about how much he admires Nate Berkus, I was kind of sold on him. I’d like to see him and Brittany go head-to-head in a non-sequitur off.

Fans of The Glee Project likely squealed in delight with the first appearance of Samuel Larsen, the dreadlocked co-winner of Season 1. Samuel played Joe Hart, a professional hackysack player and bong enthusiast devout Christian who joined Mercedes’ God Squad group of Jesus-lovin’ singers. Unfortunately, Jesus did not take the wheel, as Larsen’s acting ability was lacking, as was his screen presence in general.

Brittany made Santana a playlist for Valentine’s Day of all the songs she thinks of when she thinks about her girlfriend—classic love songs like “On Top of Spaghetti” and “Pac-Man Fever”—which earned a sweet thank-you kiss... and then a seat in Principal Figgins’ office, who buckled to complaints from the school’s religious students. This was another timely development, coming just a week after the Susan G. Komen/Planned Parenthood controversy, and the Rolling Stone story about the sick campaign to humiliate gay teens in Michele Bachmann’s district. I fully support Glee’s choice to call these trends out, and I particularly liked the debate in the God Squad meeting in which they pointed out that Jesus never said anything about homosexuality being wrong. Glee has turned down the volume this season on calling out bullying and bigotry, but it’s still probably the single most powerful platform to do so.

I thought the stuff with Rachel and Finn worked nicely. God only knows how many marriages have ended over an ill-timed Number Two (hopefully not too many), but the in-laws’ reverse-psychology tactics of forcing Finchel to co-habitate ultimately backfired.

And then there was Kurt’s “secret admirer” arc, in which a sweaty, hairy gorilla kept plying him with chocolates and flowers (hey, that’s worked on me more times than I’d care to admit), only to have the big reveal be that it was Dave Karofsky, his Season 2 bully, secretly pining for him. I’m not really sure what we were supposed to feel about this. It certainly came out of nowhere. Are we really to believe Karofsky is in love with Kurt? And what now? It seems a rather random dramatic choice to have him pop in every six episodes to look freaked out about being gay.

The musical performances were underwhelming this week. I actually thought the highlight was Artie’s boy band take on Mario’s “Let Me Love You.” It was unabashed, seductive, and quite musical, and reminded you why boy bands once ruled the planet, before a meteor took them all out. The “Love Shack” group number was fun, and it was great to see Blaine back, if only for the finale. Also, Mercedes knocked “I Will Always Love You” out of the ballpark. It’s kind of interesting to me that none of the stars of Glee have really made a name for themselves outside of the Glee brand. Matthew Morrison tried, and failed, with a solo album; but why isn’t Amber Riley, for example, putting out her own singles? Does her contract prohibit any non-Glee releases, I wonder? Probably.

QUESTIONS:

1. With Rory’s announcement that he’s leaving (and another snore-inducing performance), and now the underwhelming debut of Joe, what are your opinions of the Glee Project winners? Can they hold their own?

2. Who is your favorite couple on Glee?

3. What did you think of Rachel’s dads?

4. Puck and Brittany have been relegated to the bleachers lately. What gives?!

I Dont think that its rorys fault that his singing has been bringing people to snores instead of tears. I dont think that hes gotten the right song yet! My favorite couple on glee has got to be mike and tina even though i have a big crush on mike chang. I loved rachels dads they really played the part perfectly! Funny and very addictive to watch
I think Rory just said that as an evil way to get Sugar to go out with him. And his rendition of "Home" by Michael Bubl was NOT snore-inducing! It brought me close to tears. Beautiful song, and he nailed the nerve of it.

I loved Rachel's dad, I love that none of them ARE well-known or young, it makes sense, they're her DADS. (Although we saw a picture of them in the first episode and I thought one of them was black, but I guess I must remember it wrongly).

My favourite couple... I don't know. Sam and Mercedes have some chemistry going on, and I like Finchel and Tina/Mike. Kurt and Blaine used to be my favourite, but I don't think we see them very much anymore. But right now, probably Brittany and Santana. I love that they actually look like they are in love, great acting.

Umm, when you say neither of her dads are well known, I really hope that you're not talking about the actors, cause they are both VERY well known!

And yes, one of them IS black. He just happens to also be Scottish, German and Native American. Maybe it's a different actor from the picture in the pilot, but Brian Stokes Mitchell is still part African.
1 - Rory isn't leaving, at least that's my opinion, from the way he reacted to Sugar at Breadsticks. I didn't have an issue with Joe, either, or Harmony in the couple she was in.

2 - Santana and Brittany, cause I like the girl on girl. I'll be honest. I'll also be honest that I can't stand when people combine names to make a new one, like Brittania or Finchell or Klaine. That "shipping" annoys me completely and utterly (as does the term shipping.)

3 - Loved them. However, is this really the first time we've seen them, as people seem to be mentioning all over the internet? I could have sworn we saw her fathers way back in the beginning of season 1, for a quick moment. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember seeing them.

4 - Not enough time to have stories for everybody. They've had storylines for a bit, now their on the bench, waiting for their next storyline. Can't have something going with everybody at once, now.
I thought Joe did well but I'm biased because I have a crush on him. Add to that the fact that Rory did HORRIBLY so the bar was set pretty low.

Fav couple? Hmmm, Mike and Tina, drama free love.

Rachel's dad's were disappointing, I expected slightly younger and well known musicians.

Eh, just for a little while. They'll be back. I can wait.
Rory is definitely the worst of the winners. Samuel was definitely stiff but an improvement over the leprechaun no one understands. Harmony has been by far the best and really shows that they need to make acting talent a priority next season on the Glee Project.
btw -

"Here's a four leaf clover for good luck. You're gonna need it" - Rory

"Do all you people carry those around?" - Kurt

(wow, even a progressive show like glee can be racest.)

"Really?? REEEEAALY??? REEEEEEEAAAAALLLLYYYY" Seth Meyers

( ( (Sorry I miss spelled Kurt last post )) = early morning
Dave Karofsky being caught by a class mate at break sticks moments after being turned down my Kurk is very forbidding. This may be a bit morbid, but I truly believe this long arc'd story line will end with Dave committing suicide. This show, while very unrealistic, deals with some very heavy material sometimes. While I watched the scene at sticks play out, I began to become worried for Dave. I saw someone no longer afraid to admit the truth to himself. This in off itself is a huge stride for the young man. Yet, part of the reason Kurk has been able to remain so strong & honest stem's from the wonderful support Kurk receives at school & home. Kurk does have very strong personality attributes, but a support group is very important ( especially to someone not as confident in themselves ). As I saw this Dave come out of the shell, I found myself proud. Here was one of the best developed characters to date on the show. In the back of our minds we all thought that if someone as mean and shallow as this bully could grow then there might be a chance for others. besides the point! When Dave felt broken hearted, and then outed moments later... well.... I was afraid the writing was on the wall. Dave Karofsky is going to kill himself. I could be wrong but the set up is 100% there if it decideds to go there. Thoughts??
1.I think the Glee winners have some work to do.Rory tends to just be there and Samuel was a bit stiff. Harmony was good though.

2.I'm going to have to go with Samcedes. I'm invested in what they could be and I want to see it work, mostly because they are the only "couple" where I simply adore both characters on their own and together. (outside of the Changs but we never see them).

3.I liked Rachel's dads, however, I kind of would have liked if her black dad...actually looked black.

4. The show underusing it's characters again. IT's a shame.

I enjoyed the episode..it's rare that I can watch an entire episode w/o fast forwarding through some of the parts but I didn't have to with this episode. I loved the performances. LOVED Mercedes' unintentional tribute with "I Will Always Love You" dare I say she sang it better than Jennifer Hudson did. It was so heart wrenching especially given the current situation....and watching her scenes with Sam were great too. Plus when he cried, and did that single tear Demi Moore thing...I was sold on the emotion.LOVED it. I also enjoyed Artie's Mario, and the Stereo Hearts performance.

I thought it was a solid episode for GLee so far. I always love seeing how so vastly different the opinions of the reviewers are. So far you enjoyed and another flat out hated it. Yet both made valid points.

Oh and Amber Riley is apparently working on her own album in the studio. Chord Overstreet has a couple of singles and apparently given his family background he works in the studio as well. Matthew Morrison didn't fair so well. I do wonder about the others though.
As far as Glee episodes go, this one is near perfect. This one still has its flaws but meh, not everything can be Community (man, I miss that show so much).

1) Harmony was pretty cool in her few appearances. Rory is sadly underused and not expanded on much beyond Irish-ness but maybe his relationship with Sugar can take care of that. Joe seems cool but hopefully is not restricted to just Christian homeschooled guy.

2) Favorite couple - Mike and Tina. (Asian-American pride.) Tina may be just as underwritten as Rory but on the bright side, she's probably the most likable of the group, next to Brittany.

3) Rachel's dads were kinda fun. Seeing her family, her stage-starved annoyance makes a lot of sense now. Hopefully not a one-episode appearance.

4) I feel like Puck and Joe could get together for an episode in which Puck acts as Joe's miscreant guide to what high school is like alongside Sam and his singing protege, Rory.

Brittany was elected student body president but we haven't heard anything about that ever since last year. Maybe she could tackle a hard-hitting educational issue (increase platform for performing arts, launch an anti-alien abduction task force) with other ignored characters (Tina, for starters).
I love Rory! I think he was the single most interesting thing that was added to season three. Joe Hart didn't impress me, but I'll form an opinion after a few episodes.

Favorite couple has to Kurt and Blaine... it was Artie and Brittney but as you know thats not happening now, lol.

Loved Rachel's Dads, very strange but they fit in with the show quite nicely.
Love the NEW Dads, but the rest of the show sucked!

Sorry but it is in a tailspin, and losing my interest, just nothing else to watch

Rory? Who?

Does anyone really care?????
1. I think Rory was lying about that to get Sugar to date him, it was implied. IDK so far they've been ok. Haven't seen much of Rory apart from his first two eps, except for him to belt out a song. Sam's alright so far, haven't yet formed an opiinion on him

2. Fave couple right now is Brittana

3. Love em, they're pretty funny and even more fun that I hoped

4. I don't think Puck's gotten much of a storyline in the entire season so far :/ Maybe they'll both have something to do later on.
Puck had a huge baby arc where he dated miss cochran. Seriousy it was like the first half of the season

I'd like to see a memorable Puck musical number.
I thought Glee actors were bad, but the glee project winners are worse. much worse.
Rory is not leaving, at least not the way he said. You can tell when Sugar is talking to him at the party at the end. He made it up to get Sugar to choose him over Artie and now is caught in a big lie.

Why do I have this feeling that we are headed for another Rachel/Finn breakup
I like the Glee Project winners, they just need less-boring songs for Rory. My favorite couple is Blaine and Kurt, I guess (note the enthusiasm). They're all just so interesting, or something. I miss Puck, and all Puck-related couples. I don't think Brittany's a good singer, but I do miss her over-the-top performances. Rachel's dad's are incoherent and annoying. Also, I thought one of them was black?
Best couple Brit and Santana. We finally got a kiss!!!

Loved Rachel's Dads, Puck's chocolate joke and SUGAR!!!!!
That was the most lackluster performance of Love Shack ever, and I include every karaoke performance ever. But wait, you say, everyone was dancing around and having fun! Not what I'm talking about. Blaine and Kurt sang their lines like they were afraid to strain their voices, which is just wrong for that song. They managed to put in enough energy a total of twice between them that I counted.
I think you missed a subtle little bit at the end when Sugar commented on how Rory was going to be deported and he looked blank for a minute and then said 'oh yeah' or something like that. I think he was lying about not getting his student Visa extended so he would get the sympathy vote from Sugar. Also I don't think he is boring, his character is just not written that well and Ryan Murphy keeps giving him slow (and not brilliant) songs! Damian was my 2nd favourite (after Cameron) on the Glee Project and I thought he would have such a great story written for him but I think he has been woefully under utilised so far.

I was not a fan of Samuel Larsen's on the Glee Project but I was pleasantly surprised by his Glee debut.

Also I have never been a Whitney Houston or Amber Riley fan but last night Amber was amazing! It was a coincidence but an emotional moment came out of it anyway.

So:

1. I don't think Rory is leaving at all and I think Samuel and Damien can hold their own if their characters are developed and written better!

2. Finn and Rachel are my favourite couple at the moment, closely followed by Will and Emma. But the writers change the characters personalities all the time so that could change!

3. I see someone got called a dumbarse below because they thought one of Rachel's dads was supposed to be black and I have to admit I didn't know Brian Stokes Mitchell was! There was no question about the man in the photo in Rachel's locker in Season One. Her dad's were ok but I wouldn't care if I saw them again or not.

4. I reckon Puck has been relegated to the background lately as he's starting to look older than Mr Shue!!!! There is no way he can pass as a high school student, he looks more like one of their dads! As for Brittany, that's just criminal! Maybe the writers have run out of funny and dumb one-liners :)
Also my guess is that the Karofsky storyline was so that the guy (who played Beaver in Greek) could see him with Kurt and spread it around his new school that he is gay. This will mean either - a: he gets bullied, like he did to Kurt and has to come back to McKinley or b: that guy is also gay and him and Karofsky live happily ever after......
Sorry, his name is Aaron Hill, not 'that guy' - lol!!!
It's painfully obvious that Rory lied about getting deported so that he could win over Sugar from Artie. That's what he looked shocked when she said she'd miss him at the party and was like "don't worry about that right now."

He'll probably reveal it near the end of the season, or at least pretend that they ended up accepting his visa anyway. Unsure if either of those things mean he would stay on the show, though.
I thought they botched the "should Christians sing for gays" plotline horribly. For one, how exactly are we supposed to believe that any of the glee members would have a problem singing to a gay kid (Sam said as much)? And two, Glee, you're right, people have a right to believe whatever they want, but when you offer singing valentines to the student body, you should not prioritize the feelings of bigots over those of gay teens who just want to express their love for their significant others. There should not have been a vote. If that Jesus clown or Mercedes's church friends hadn't wanted to sing to gays, they didn't have to participate. I'm making mountains out of molehills, certainly, but come on. I love Glee, but really, the whole plotline was dumb and unfunny.
No body in the glee club had any issue. Joe is a brand new student at this school who's never met an openly gay person. They were simply being respectful by making sure that he would feel comfortable with it.
Seth - Matthew's CD debuted at #24 on the Billboard chart, Mark Salling's at #189, and Kristen Chenoweth latest CD sold 9,000 copies. Not huge impacts, but for a couple of Broadway stars, and one singer coming out of relative obscurity, they've got to be happy with how the CD's did. Other singers would be so lucky to do as well. Please don't insult any one of them by writing their CD's "failed."
I could have sworn one of Rachel's dad's was black. Didn't they put the sperm together and they aren't supposed to know whose she is but it was funny because one of the dads was black in a picture from season 1. No one has their own singles because Glee is not that great. Riley's performance was karaoke at best.

This show is just bad and getting worse.
Wow. now I'm a dumbass for remembering her dad looked like this:

Brian Stokes Mitchell is black, dumbass.
Not as black as the actor who originally appeared in the picture Rachel had in her locker in the pilot episode, dumbass.
Yes, clearly "Glee totally screwed up by picking an amazing broadway legend because he wasn't 'black enough' for everyone on the internet" is a good argument.
How dare you insult people you don't even know. The actors for the fathers were clearly changed from the ones revealed in the photos of them in season 1.
Is anyone making that argument here?

black enough for the picture in Rachel's locker is what people are saying.
I liked Damian on The Glee Project, but Rory's pretty boring. Ryan kept saying over and over about how was hoping Damian could be the next Finn Hudson character, but I'm not really seeing that at the moment. Making him lie to Sugar has been the most interesting thing about him so far, but I personally don't see that boding well for others if Rory replaces Finn next season (or even just stays on the show). Wasn't a huge fan of Sam on The Glee Project and his character is pretty boring too.

While it's annoying that there are too many characters on the show for the writers to handle, which is causing people to take a backseat (was Tina even in that face-metamorphosis thing in the MJ tribute episode? Or in the episode last week?), I honestly don't mind that Puck and Brittany are getting their turn. They both got a decent amount of focus in the past two seasons because of their relationships, Puck was still getting focus earlier this season, and I'm assuming Brittany's going to get focus later, so I'm all for them being taken out of focus for the time being.
This episode was all over the place, only thing i liked was that they didn't painfully highlight Mr. Shue this episode and I didn't have to sit though another one of his feminine dance routines. And he didn't sing, another plus. Not sure what message they were trying to get across except that they're full of BS and life doesn't work out how you really want it to.
I think Rachels gay dads should have their own show! That was the most entertaining part of this episode to me and the only reason i tuned in!
1. Short answer: No. Although, if I had to choose, I prefer Rory, since I feel he has a better voice.

2. Brittana. No contest. Naya and HeMo sold it last night, even with the scant seconds they were afforded.

3. Awesome. Though I kept waiting for J.Goldblum to say "Life will find a way"

4. Too many characters, too little time. Ditch the Glee project winners, kill Sue's pregnancy plotline, and end Finn and Rachel (I concur with Figgins & Santana...they're painful to watch)
Rory was fine I guess, but I didn't like Harmony or Joe any.. and I doubt I'll like the 4th winner's arc.

as soon as Kurt opened the card and it said "secret admirer" I knew it wasn't Blaine and was probably Karodsky... just let Dave Karofsky and that annoying Sebastian get together, then we'll never see them again

Chord Overstreet's doing an album apparently, I think that might have had something to do with him being gone for most of the first half of the season. supposedly Naya Rivera is also doing one.. I think once Mercedes graduates, Amber will do an album