Glee: Rolling Right Along

Glee S03E15: "Big Brother"

Question: Should we be wearing neck braces while watching this show? There may not be a more whiplash-inducing event than Glee, and I'm including minor car accidents here. Before the most recent hiatus we were left with a multi-pronged cliffhanger that would've been shocking enough for a season finale, let alone just a regular midseason episode: Just as Rachel and Finn were about to tie the knot at city hall, a texting-while-driving Quinn got T-BONED in what looked to be a fatal accident. Yikes! And the episode was already devastating enough: Earlier in the hour, a rat-a-tat comedy scene involving Photoshopped images of Finn in high heels was immediately followed by a montage in which a character was physically bullied, cyber-bullied, and then decided to commit suicide. Seriously, the tone shifts Glee show takes are so drastic it's hard to know which extreme emotion we'll be feeling from scene to scene.

This week's episode, "Big Brother," maintained that tradition by following up Quinn's frightening cliffhanger with a bright 'n breezy scene of Diana Agron rolling through the hallways of McKinley in a wheelchair like it wasn't even a big deal. Sure, she'd broken her back and can no longer walk, but why dwell on such a bummer of a situation when there's a dual-wheelchair musical number to be had!

Friday Night Lights this was not. So after a spirited rendition of Elton John's "I'm Still Standing" (what high school student doesn't love THAT song?), Quinn assured everyone that she'll definitely be up and walking (and dancing!) in time for Nationals. Um, sure, lady. Although, considering how this show rolls, I half-expected her to be prancing around before Act 5.

Meanwhile Sue's still pregnant and woozy from all the hormones, but her prior offer to Will about helping New Directions win Nationals had apparently fallen by the wayside. It took the sudden threat of Coach Roz Washington taking over as co-coach of the Cheerios for Sue to get her act together and cut a deal with Principal Figgins: If New Directions wins Nationals, she'll get to keep her cheer coach supremacy. Or something. I don't know, it was just a complicated way of getting Sue back in the theater leading another round of Booty Camp. Which is always fun. I could watch Sue insulting these kids all day. Later, when Will complained to Sue that she'd frightened the kids, citing Kurt's assertion that she was "meaner than Tabatha," Sue's nonchalant response was the best: "I have no idea who Porcelain is referring to, I'm assuming it's gay and niche." This was a great Sue episode.

Speaking of Sue, Jane Lynch got to bring a bit more nuance to her role again this week as Sue's pregnancy continued to bring out her more human, vulnerable side. First she reluctantly (but secretly gratefully) allowed Will and Emma to come with her to her doctor's appointment to "confirm the sex of my daughter." Later, the doctor did indeed confirm as much, but added that there were some irregularities in her amniocentesis. Nothing was stated explicitly, but afterward Sue had a heartfelt encounter with Becky in which she hugged her and said her daughter would be "just like you." It's not clear how literal Sue's statement was, but this was in my opinion one of the episode's (and series'?) best moments.

Okay you got me: Every word I've typed so far has been a waste of time because let's get to the REAL reason we're here: MATT BOMER! Oh man, Matt Bomer. Am I right, ladies? He played Cooper Anderson, Blaine's older brother who'd become somewhat of a celebrity for moving to Hollywood and starring in free credit report commercials. Like any cool older brother, he showed up in the hallways of his old high school and immediately began making things weird for Blaine. First off, and I don't mean to sound mean because Darren Criss is definitely handsome, but didn't you feel so bad for Darren Criss whenever he had to stand next to Matt Bomer? I mean...

Sorry, Darren Criss. It happens! Anyway, the two of them sang a Duran Duran mash-up that was sort of weird but fun and get this—Bomer can sing! I mean, with this show even the non-singers are autotuned into oblivion, but it sounded like Bomer can actually hold a note for real. And a pleasant note at that! Great, one more reason why Matt Bomer isn't one of us. Anyway, the club loved it and Cooper agreed to do an Acting Workshop Master Class or whatever, but we could tell Blaine was already feeling butt-hurt over the mega-upstaging he was receiving. Better make up for it with some kind of shower scene later!

Meanwhile, the world's least interesting plotline—Rachel and Finn's relationship—took another turn when Finn slowly came to his senses and realized that his potential future marriage to Rachel and their ensuing life together in New York hadn't really considered what the heck he was going to do with HIS career. Puck only worsened the situation when he attempted to lure Finn to Southern California to assist with Puck's pool cleaning business. So where the episode started with the two slightly annoying lovebirds still intending to get married, it ended with Finn standing up to Rachel and calling into question the entire idea. Yes! Good idea! I do not approve of high school marriages (in concept at least), and frankly neither should they.

Throughout the episode we were meant to believe that Artie sorta has some romantic sparks with Quinn now that they're seeing things eye-to-eye. First he helped her defeat the steepest wheelchair ramp in Lima, and then while the rest of the kids went to Six Flags for Senior Ditch Day, he took her to some kind of skate park for handicapped people. The musical montage suggested that Quinn was having a GREAT time racing down concrete ramps, but I'm not gonna lie, Six Flags looked WAY more fun. But the idea that Artie and Quinn were hitting it off came to a grinding halt when she suddenly became offended by Artie's suggestion that she might be permanently paralyzed. He'd apparently gone through the same thought process himself—hoping to recover before realizing he wouldn't—and he attempted to advise her to adjust her expectations just in case. The gesture was met with 'tude and a wheel-away (the biggest insult a wheelchair user can make). Poor Artie!

Okay BACK TO THE BOMER. After a truly great Master Class scene (Matt Bomer's hilarious too? Ugh.) in which Cooper advised the kids that Broadway is dead and they should always point their fingers during dramatic scenes, Blaine ended up having a tiff with Cooper that sent him into the kind of funk only an over-the-top and inappropriate cover of Christina Aguilera's "Fighter" can solve. Seriously, what a totally inappropriate song choice! Blaine's so dramatic. But it did include a shower scene and also Blaine scream-singing in front of a bank of monitors showing Cooper's face, so it's not like viewers had any reason to complain.

Later, after almost no scenes suggesting either of them had really talked about what was going on, Blaine and Cooper reunited for a duet of Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" and then hugged it out. Both guys sounded great, but again, that is not an appropriate song for two brothers! Isn't it about a romantic break-up? It's all right, I'm not mad, just confused. Anyway, in a pleasant turn of the table, Blaine offered to help Cooper with his career, by helping him tape an audition for a Michael Bay film or something. Aw, brothers gonna work it out.

So yeah: Rachel and Finn are on the rocks; Quinn's got wheelchair 'tude; Sue's got an ever-warming heart; Sam will henceforth be known as the "Kentucky fried stripper"; Blaine likes his brother again; and Matt Bomer returned to Mt. Olympus from whence he came. Can't wait to see what happens next week. Bring your neck braces!

Okay one more:

QUESTIONS:

... Which do you prefer: Mean Sue or Nice Sue?

... Will Quinn walk again?

... Do you think Rachel and Finzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have long held the opinion that while Ryan Murphy is talented at creating shows, he seems to get lost when they get off the ground. I sometimes get the impression that he continues to create characters and their storylines for the show but for whatever reason can't add them to the line-up so just changes the personality of a character who already exists to fit what he has in mind, often creating a Jekyll and Hyde effect. Quinn's personality seems to change by the episode, sometimes by the scene, and it's making it really hard for me to care about what happens to her. Other characters meanwhile are just stuck in the one mind-frame, for example Rachel ('I love Finn and I'm going to be on Broadway') and it's becoming just as tedious.

And I definitely agree about how pretty Matt Bomer is :)
I'm thinking back to the White Collar finale review and thinking maybe we should just change it to an all-encompassing: "Everybody loves Matt", lol. I had trouble looking away from his face during the ep, but I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one. :)

I really think Ryan should've stopped picking on Quinn right now, but she is one of the strongest characters in the show, so maybe it makes the stories easier to write, hehe.
I can just stare at Matt Bomer's face all day... That sounds a little creepy but I don't care! He's dreamy! Kurt's reaction to meeting Cooper was priceless!

Quinn should've die.
Matt Bomer is dreamy, but I'll take Darren Criss over him anytime. Just saying
I prefer mean sue
You recapped Glee? Admit...you only did it because you (like the rest of the universe and apparently God himself) love Matt Bomer am I right?! I'm not complaining!

First, I must get the shameful gushing of Matt out of the way. I'm far from a shallow person, and I hate myself a little but I think I had to watch Glee twice because I spent the first time drooling over his beauty. Seriously, I wish there was a way that Matt Bomer could procreate with himself and have mega talented, super awesome, and ridiculously attractive children. The world would be a better place with Bomer offsprings and clones. I love that guy...and I know he was super excited to sing because he enjoys singing so much. He's as passionate about it as acting. And he should be. His stellar.

I didn't care much about Finn and Rachel. I'd have rather seen some Samcedes action or Chang Chang...or Brittana.They shouldn't have gotten married and I'm glad that Finn sort of stood up to her in the end. I know I should have been concerned about quinn but she never holds my interest much so I wasn't wholly disappointed that an episode that should have focused on her bouncing back (Really Glee? Not even a flashback to a hospital visit?) somehow got hijacked by Blaine (who does hijack like everything...all the time) and his brother. Mostly because his brother was Cooper Anderson (the hotter, younger, cooler version of Anderson Cooper?LOL) He was self consumed and arrogant and an attention w***e at it's finest (it really must run nin the Anderson genes). They had great moments. I agree that them singing the song was odd...because I had to keep remembering that they were supposed to be brothers, not romantic interests. Sue was funny...I love her both ways and I don't know what to think of this baby stuff but if it gives her great moments I support it. I also love Roz. Overall a solid enough episode.
I am going to confess to being very very shallow for only watching this episode so I could drool over Matt Bomer... He's just sooooo gorgeous! and dreamy! Those eyes! *sigh*

And he was actually very funny too, especially the acting masterclass part made me literally lol a couple of times.

But Glee is just such a terrible mess! I haven't watched it since the end of S1 I think, and the 'previously on Glee' bit had me completely in stitches simply because of the complete ridiculousness of all those story lines (Rachel and Finn getting married? *rolls eyes*). And it really suffers from a severe case of dissociative identity disorder. (but I am not going to rant about all the things that are wrong with Glee, because it's all been said before and it's frankly plain useless)

For now I am just grateful I got an extra dose of Bomer, because waiting until White Collar will be back is just hell...
This is my favorite show to comment after PLL and TVD so I'll write my essay here.

BTW PRICE YOU SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j4JYZ2wdjZg He'd give Shia a run for his money tbh. No not Shia, Megan :P

I'll start now....

1. Why did Blaine sing Fighter? WHY?!

2. Why did everything have incestuous undertones?

3. Why did we just cut to Quinn singing in a wheelchair and there wasn't even a hospital scene? what?

5. BONER WAS PERFECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. We already know this show is a mess and Ryan throws in stuff after he had dreamed about them the night before, and he does not care if those storylines fit his characters or not, but this episode was the queen of messes.

7. I watch this show for guest stars now, and I have a feeling it still exists because of the guest stars.

8. As for Quinn...well... Finn and Mr. Shue do a song together (probably Jesus take the wheel ~chair~) and she will stand up as the rest of the glee club begins clapping and crying and Mercedes comes in with a random amazing vibrato note and Artie rolls off, dejected.

9. Sue is amazing, I love it when she insults members of Nude Erections.

10. Matt and Ricky are my fav guest stars on this show!

11. I loled when Sue gave Cooper to sign her boob in the middle of the hallway. I feel bad for the kids that were passing by in that moment.

12. So was this 4 weeks after the accident because even then shouldn't Quinn still have bruises from the crash?

13. The wheelchair bound kid singing "I'm still standing"? Throwing shade, I see.

14. Btw, Schue will do a cover of What Makes You Beautiful, I will rageeeeeee. Why God, why him?

15. I can't look at Schue now and not hear in my head SATISFASIME BABY ugh

16. http://i.imgur.com/p74DZ.jpg Doesn't he look like a male version of Mercedes?

17. I feel bad for Tina. She's the Bonnie of this show.

18. Can Rachel and Finn get hit by a bus anytime soon? Plz? But knowing Murphy they wouldn't die, they'd just be in a full-body braces for the rest of the show, or magically have 0 scratches.

I like how they sing though, and I like some of the actors. That's about it.
Oh luv, I think you mean BOMER...but "boner" made me giggle.

1. Blaine's song choices can be warped.

2. I know right?! I felt so wrong for expecting the Anderson boys to make out at any given moment but there were so many incestous things going on there. It was mostly that song choice.

3. I somehow wasn't surprised...I should be surprised and expect more but I didn't and I don't.

17. Yes. She is. The Bonnie of the show.
lol Boner was on purpose though
Am I the only one who totally didn't get the romantic tension between Quinn/Artie. Like, it honestly never registered for me at all. I thought he was just trying to be a helpful friend to her and she went all Quinn on him. Anyways, I much prefer her with Joe and Artie needs to go reclaim Sugar from that limey leprechaun.
I didn't see it either. I did see some romantic tension between Blaine and his brother however, and that kind of disturbed me...
I don't watch this show (I read the review because I'm a White Collar/Bomer fan.). I'm from Ohio and I can tell you there is no way they would go to Six Flags for a Senor skip day. The closest one is in Baltimore or something. They live in Lima, they would go to Cedar Point, the best park ever! (only two hours away) Sometimes TV is ridiculous. Ok, rant over, I know it's an unimportant point, but I had to get it off my chest :)
this show is so ridiculous but I still watch.

Ryan must haaate Quinn
She's a pretty easy character to hate.
That's because he made her like that. He must've been fighting with Diana Agron
I don't like the show anymore but watch it occasionally for Gwyneth, RICKY MARTIN and Bomer. The Ricky Martin episode was FAAAAAAANTASTIC.
What a treat to get Price filling in for a Glee review.

- If Sue ever goes full nice I will probably become comatose. So more bitchiness with a softer side changeup please.

- I was hoping that Artie and Quinn would become closer too. They would make a really interesting couple. I can't say I'm really invested enough to have an opinion on Quinn's recovery either way. I'd like to see this season end without us knowing and then never addressing it later on.

- Rachel and Finn are far away from any real relationship melt down and their fight was pretty ridiculous, but it can only be good for them and those of us on Team Wait Til You're Older.
I actually thought Artie was being a bit pushy with Quinn when he started saying she'd never walk again. Unless she was lying, the doctor said that she would. I don't think it's a bad thing to have some hope, especially if she's only been in the chair for a little while.
I'm not anti-hope either and Artie was a bit pushy, however I don't care either way whether she recovers.
I haven't watched Glee since the beginning of season 2 i believe. But hey any excuse to look at Matt Bomer! MATT BOMER MATT BOMER MATT BOMER MATT BOMER.... I could go on.
I think mostly a mean Sue but we need a nice Sue here and there to break it up.

They don't need another wheelchair Glee star so I'm sure Quinn will walk.

For so long I wanted Rachel and Fin together but just don't buy it anymore.

I'm pretty sure I'm done with Glee after this season since it's just enough, haha.
I prefer Sue being mean but nice about it. it was an alright episode I guess, nothing spectacular.. I don't understand how this is suddenly months after the car wreck. that would've been so much drama to air! COME ON! instead they just skip months ahead where she's apparently all healed except for the chair and doesn't have any scratches or anything when you know there had to be some serious injuries..

but I really liked the Cooper/Blaine duets. during Fighter I thought "I bet girls and gay guys were so mad when Blaine faked them out taking off his shirt and having on another one" so that was funny to me.
Price, I prefer "no Sue". As someone pointed out in another episodes comments, shes too "cartoonish" and, IMO, has to go. The "Asian F" episode of this third season was one of the best exactly because Sue had no lines in it and barely appeared, thank God.

I think Glee is about to jump the shark, maybe because Ryan Murphy is focusing his attention on "American Horror Story" (I remember "Alias", that was awesome, also jumped the shark when J.J Abrams started focusing on "Lost", so to me it seems a pattern....)

. And I couldnt care less about Quinn, it looks like she is just sitting at that wheelchair and will get up at any moment, like shes faking the whole thing.

Come on, such a violent accident and no visible scar at all? Nothing? The pretty face is still there like nothing happened? The hair, everything perfect?

And OK, a Blaine-shirtless scene....but from behind? We want to see his CHEST and ABS, like we did with Sam! Big let down.
This show has gotten so bad. How much time has passed for them since the accident? Quinn has no other injuries or scars? Lol that's fine. The whole thing is just silly though.
I don't understand how the plot focused more on Blaine's brother than Quinn's tragedy. To me, it was just so random that Blaine needed another character development. There are other people in the show! I really hate how the show is becoming a Rachel-Santana-Blaine show. It is becoming boring. Oddly enough I'm still watching it. Also Glee shouldn't be surprised with its low ratings after making its fans wait for 7 weeks of haitus!
Because Blaine's brother was played by Matt Bomer. The camera can't help but gravitate towards such an unreasonably gorgeous face.

That being said. I agree that it's annoying how it always ends up revolving around Rachel, Finn, Kurt, and Blaine. Santana has had her fair share of screentime this year but honestly, she kind of deserved it. The others get neglected however. Tina, Mike, Mercedes, Brittany...it sucks. I used to like Blaine but I can only take the guy in small doses and they never give Blaine in small doses.
Tried watching Glee tonight, quit after 13 minutes. I think I might finally be off the show - at least until next fall, heaven forbid.
If anyone wants to see the audition video that "Blaine" and "Cooper" filmed for the Transformers audition, it is on youtube.

You're welcome.
How did u find this??
It's posted to Darren Criss's (Blaine) youtube channel. And it is magnificent. I've watched it at least ten times.
'ladies'? You do know Matt Bomer is gay, right? XD
Derrr...and?

He is the most gorgeous guy on TV. Not like any of us had a chance either way.
All the Bomer looking guys are apparently...
haha i don't know why but i really "LOL'd" at this comment.
so what? He is gorgeous!
Yeah not like gay guys dont crush on straight male actors. xD
I don't. ;) Luckily Bomer's not straight.
The only reason I will watch this episode is to see Matt Bomer's beautiful face grace my screen.
love the review. only disagree on one point. i dont think that Artie had any romantic intentions for Quinn. for me it was more about him being kinda glad to have someone understand what he is going through along with wanting to help Quinn come to terms with her reality. she seems to be in the denial state, it is possible for her to walk again but it not something that can happen in a week!!

fin and rachel are the least interesting couple... it was nice to see finn finally making a stand and taking an interest in his own future rather than be a follower to rachel's dreams. she came off as selfish - declaring that she's going to NY and needs finn to do that. they are soooo breaking up by the end of the season.
you know, while we're kinda on the subject of wheel chairs, this episode made me realize how hard it really is to look hot while sitting in one. Quinn certainly couldn't pull it off! Artie, however, manages to look really cool in his wheel chair for every single episode. Kudos, Artie!
I'm a sap so Nice Sue thought I love the meanis's one liners :P

Yes Quinn will walk, likely to get her diploma (Eye roll)

Again, me sap so...Yay Rachael and Finn!
Is it OK for me to be slighly offended that Price did an episode recap and didn't do any awesome pic captions? Yes VD and TSC are 10x better than Glee and deserve a class of their own but seriously Price, your pic recaps are too funny to not spread around to other shows. Share the love.

The inappropriate song choices didn't really bother me to be honest. Matt Bomer and Darren Criss are always having sex in my daydreams anyway so it worked.

[The above statement is (a)wildly inappropriate and (b)not true but had to be said regardless. Any straight man out there who doesn't have a little gay crush on Matt Bomer and/or Darren Criss is a blasphemous liar]

Best line of the night: "If Alan Menken isn't personally writing you a fairytale musical at this very moment, I will hunt him down and beat him senseless with a cudgel, because you, sir, are a Disney prince." God I love Sue.
Sue is the best.
i agree, matt bomer is perfection and even though its fake, matt bomer and darren criss = best pair of brothers ever!!!

i don;t want rachel and finn to get married, but i want them to stay together. but it seems like that won;t happen in which case i think they;ll be splitsville by the seasons' end. maybe they;ll break up right before nationals or something
True, "Somebody That I Used to Know" is totally not appropriate for two brothers to sing. There are some lyric lines in the chorus that are obviously meant for ex-lovers ("Have your friends collect your records and then change your number") or in the verse: "You said that we would still be friends". HOWEVER, it was a great performance, loved every minute of it.

And let's face it, a show that uses (mostly) cover songs for their stars to express their feelings through, and who still want to use popular songs, can't always make the plot line fit hand-in-glove with the lyrics. I'm a lyric writer myself and I agree that it's really annoying, but that's just Glee -- take it or leave it.

Honestly though, how great would it be with a show that actually wrote ALL the songs for every episode to fit with the plot and the characters? Pretty... darn... great! :) But unfortunately, no songwriter is that masochistic...
It was called "Cop Rock".