Glee Season 3: Sam is Gone, Quinn's a Punk, Everyone Else Seems Pretty Much the Same

After a bumpy summer of behind-the-scenes drama and one 3-D concert movie flop, Fox’s Glee is back for a third season on the small screen, and things have begun to feel familiar again. Maybe even a little too familiar, as Tuesday's season opener began with exactly the same conceit as last year’s: With hook-nosed school mascot Jacob Ben-Israel shoving his camera in the cast members’ faces to reorient us for a new school year at McKinley High. And we needed some re-orientation! The first order of business was to address, for the first time in the show’s history, exactly what grade each gleester is in—just so we’re a little clearer on who’s getting the boot at season’s end and who gets to stay. It’s all about full transparency at Glee Inc.! “Junior, Senior, Junior, Senior.” Got all that?

Not all is blissful in Schue-Emma Land, however, as Emma clearly is not as turned on by Mr. Schue’s shorn torso as he is by hers.

There was also the business of several major recurring characters being escorted off the Paramount lot in security golf carts moving on from the series. Strangely, it was handled with a more cursory mention than the whole junior/senior thing. Poor old Trouty Mouth Sam—a.k.a. Chord Overstreet—was tossed out like yesterday’s falafel wrapper with a line from Mercedes about his dad taking a job out of state. Don’t let the motel door hit you on the way out, Sam! Lauren Zizes got a final farewell scene before heading off into the sunset. And, of course, one last fat joke for good measure, courtesy of Puck.

At the first New Directions practice of the school year, everyone discussed last spring's crushing defeat at Nationals in New York City. Mr. Schue announced a new approach: Try harder! Great plan, Schue. Then he introduced the newest members of the glee club: three purple pianos. “Every time you see one, I want you to sing a song,” he said. Perfect! Because what these kids really need is a reason to break out into song for no reason. That's really what's been missing from Glee, so thank god these pianos came along! [Tip: Look closely, and you’ll see the hand of the piano-wrangler, who gets the pianos to react to their cues by feeding them treats.] Then Mr. Schue encouraged the kids to recruit new members: “For many of you, this is your last year. Let’s make it special.” Cut to: Shot of Lea Michele and Cory Monteith, looking slightly annoyed. [Tip: Listen closely, and you’ll hear the sound of Ryan Murphy snickering to himself off-camera.]

Rachel and Kurt paid a visit to Emma’s office, where Emma assumed the two of them were dating and handed them some literature on the topic.

Only they had actually come to discuss their futures. Namely: Juilliard! But Juilliard doesn’t have a musical theater program (sad face). Good thing the New York Academy of Jazz Hands is looking for a few good chorus boys and girls, and happened to be hosting a mixer at the local Doubletree in hopes of finding the best in the Midwest.

Sue, meanwhile, was suffering from a case of the post-menopausal grumps. She’s running for office, and her “twisted genius” of a chief henchgirl, Becky, was right by her side. While pondering how to get ahead in the polls, Sue became agitated by the sound of “Chopsticks” coming from the purple piano outside her office door. She then did to the piano what she’d like to do to Mr. Schue, and mades an off-color remark to Tina and Mike.

Quinn returned from summer vacation with Kool-Aid hair, a Ryan Seacrest tattoo, and an attitude to match.

Despite Rachel’s best efforts, Quinn had no desire to return to the glee club. She’s found a new group, one called The Skanks! And they smoke under the bleachers and generally act bad-ass. Can’t handle it? Good. That’s just the way The Skanks like it.

Sue realized that the best way to become President of the United States (is that what she’s running for? I missed that part. She’d be better than Michele Bachmann, in any case) is to declare war on the arts. She delivered a compelling Sue’s Corner editorial on the subject to Western Ohio, and was later confronted by Mr. Schue, who was very upset about this line of attack. Because it’s his livelihood! And he wants to start a family soon! With Emma! And no, their sex life isn’t going very well, since you asked! And why is he sharing all of this?!

Sue pit Becky and Santana against one another, forcing them to split captainship of the Cheerios, which lead to this somewhat classic line from Santi: “When I look at a person, I don’t see someone who looks a certain way or has a certain number of chromosomes. I just see someone I have to destroy.” Um. Wow. Santana eventually pledged allegiance to Sue’s evil ways.

Cafeteria number! Yay! Food fight! Boo! (But yay?) Sadly, the club's best Go-Go’s routine only convinced one person to audition: Sugar Motta, a.k.a. the daughter of “that Jew who paid for the pianos.” [Glee Season 3 Report Card: An A+ for antisemitism!] Sugar is self-diagnosed with Asperger’s, so can say whatever she likes. She gave a terrible audition.

Mr. Schue was in a tight spot because he swore he’d never turn anyone away from glee club. But that Jew Sugar is just so terrible! Coach Bieste suggested he grow a pair and show no mercy, just like she did.

Kurt and Rachel discussed how they’re going to take that Doubletree full of cut-rate Ohio musical theater wannabes by storm. Then they sang “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead” for some reason.

Mr. Schue listened to Coach Bieste’s advice and did indeed grow a pair. He then used said pair to find the courage within himself to spill golden glitter all over Sue’s head. Way to be a man, Schue! Emma found the outburst totally ovary-shaking.

Kurt was thrilled to learn that Blaine had abandoned The Warblers to join New Directions. That makes perfect sense, because The Warblers were great and Blaine was the star of them, so of course he’d leave to join his boyfriend’s singing group at another school. Very logical plot development! Almost as logical as Kurt’s jackbib.

Blaine was so excited about the news, he decided to sing about it.

Meanwhile, at the New York Academy of Jazz Hands mixer, Kurt and Rachel were horrified to discover that Ohio is crawling with talented people who look and act exactly like them. (This number was particularly inspired—it was like the Island of Misfit Toys meets Liza Minnelli’s shoe closet or something.)

After seeing that, Rachel and Kurt experienced a moment of deep self-doubt. But they give each other pep-talks and gay high-fives and all was right with the world.

Back at glee club, the pianos had mysteriously returned from the dead and were still functional enough to play beautiful, tuneful notes. (AND WANT BRAAAAAINS!)

And so everyone decided that they need to continue to work hard and sing a lot, and all their dreams will come true. Then they put on purple outfits and did a number from Hairspray. Hairspray always kills! Right?!

Well? What did you think about the return of Glee?

I loved that episode. I felt like the old Glee was back, and I practically nothing to complain about (because we can ALWAYS find something to complain about on any show, let's be honest).

If you don't like the show, then please don't make a review of it. It was a good episode.
Glee is awesome. Always will be. It's the first episode of the season, relax. We get it by now that you don't like Glee. Fine. You also do not have to be such a jerk about it.
horrible as always
Wow Elexa.Jade, it sounds like you're still "little" if you think that people don't have the right to express negative feelings about something!!! You're right, a few people not watching the show won't effect the show, but if enough people feel the same way and stop watching, then the ratings go down and the show gets cancelled. That's the way that it works. As evidenced by the fact the the Glee 3-D movie bombed, maybe the Glee phenom is starting to fade a little? Plus the follow up show to Glee with Zooey did better in the ratings than Glee, which wasn't supposed to happen. How did they change Rachel's focus? She still thinks that she's God gift to musical theatre and still putting down the rest of the glee club as being inferior to her. Time to grow up Elexa.
wow i seriously love it. thank you for making my day better. i really needed the laugh.

Time to stop being an ass ray. You have every right to express a negative opinion just like she has every right to express a positive one. New Girl is new so of course it's going to do better in the ratings because people want to see if it is any good. If it continues to do better than Glee your then point is proved. Until then it sounds like the only growing up that needs to be done here is from your end.
Yea screw you ElexaJade. You suck!
haha thank you.
She sucks? Really? That is the BEST you can do? Wow kid. Don't quit your day job.

idk why everyone is complaining? it was the first episode of the season. theres still 20 more episodes to go. CHILL OUT! and i personally thought last nights episode was fun and awesome as always. Brittany is freaking hilarious and im really happy that they changed Rachels focus. its not Finn anymore, shes following her dream of singing. you people are a bunch of cry babies. no body wants to hear it. like you were taught when you were little, "if you have nothing nice to say, dont say it at all!" or just dont want the show anymore. i doubt you not watching the show will effect next season.
I also wasn't impressed with the TV premiere, Sue is still trying to destroy the Glee club??? How many more seasons do we need to see this same tired old storyline? I don't think I'll be sticking around for much longer unless the writers get off their butts and show me something entertaining instead of the same old thing every season.
I'm not sure why (JamieBlumenfe) you would be looking for LESS songs in a show about a high school glee club?? Right now the musical numbers are the only thing that's keeping me interested, as the characters and plot lines are so predictable. You're right about "ridiculously over the top", but that's Ryan Murphy's trademark, as anyone who ever watched Nip/Tuck knows.
Points in the episodes favor - less songs. Points against it - pretty much everything else. I haven't been to high school in quite a while but unless the universe has gone topsy-turvy this show is so unrealistic it is just pathetic. Punk Quinn joins the "Skanks"? Sheesh. And while I do find Sue's character funny at times some of it is just so ridiculously over-the-top that it borders on cartoonery. I'm pretty sure verbally assaulting students is against the rules let alone destruction of property, I mean I know in real life 6 year olds are getting arrested for showing each other their wee-wees in class.
The same old boring Glee formula....Sue is still pulling stunts (like trashing the piano) that in any reality would have her fired or even arrested, and meanwhile the principal says absolutely nothing...the same old Sue insults about Will's hair....Rachel still spewing about how she's so much better than anyone else in the glee club.....Santana still following in Sue's footsteps as the second most nasty person on the show, blah, blah, blah, ad nauseum. Has anyone ever stopped to count how many of the charchaters on this show are just sooooooooo mean spirited??
I also head Mercedes' line as being "rich Jew" but, listening to it again, I'm pretty sure it's a mealy-mouthed delivery of "rich dude." Besides, Motta isn't an especially Jewish name, so I wouldn't call anti-Semitism for that.

The despicable Jacob ben-Israel character, on the other hand... they even had him start his video blog with "Shalom."
And don't forget that weird 'T-Rex eating the Jew' Kurt throwaway line.

I definitely heard "rich Jew" and Sugar looks Jewish to me. Either way, this show has weird attitudes about Jewish people.
Overall really disapointed in the episode...honestly I was a little bored. Diana Agron's new badass attitude was hardly believable and the cafeteria number was very blah. I did enjoy Coach Bieste crushing the pig (give that woman her own show already) and Blaine's singing number (bravo for turning a grampa favorite into a hip song). But he drops the warblers just like that? Without much convincing? RIP Warblers....you saved season 2 and could of probably saved season 3. And I would like to think I know my fair share of musicals but am I the only one that didn't recognize most of the songs? I will make a bold prediction and say this is their last season. Drop the ridiculous storylines, stop Ryan Murphy's casting shenanigans and you might make it to season 4.
Taccado that was my feeling for most of the last season. I can't remember why I used to enjoy the show. I'm going to watch this episode and if I can't find my way back then will be waving bye bye.

Personally I think the problem is over the top celeb cameos, the humour has become all knowing instead of ironic. They're a bit too pleased with themselves and it shows.

Shame.
This episode made me wonder whether I have become a jaded, cold and cynical person. Because despite the joy and fun the show was trying to portray, I just went "Meh". I have yet to figure out what exactly made me like Glee in the first place. I feel that the same vibe from the first season, which I thought was the reason I like the show, is still there - fun, music and quirky humour - but it doesn't work any more. Why? I don't know.

It might be because there is no visible larger story arc. So whatever happens in an episode, it doesn't contribute to the big picture, because there isn't a big picture. The only thing we are waiting for is the nationals, and the Glee club winning it. But there is never any visible development towards that end goal. They sing songs, but they never practice the songs they will use at the end. There is simply nothing in what they do that builds up towards the future, something I need to know to understand the show. People drop by the show, and then they disappear and it doesn't seem to have any effect on the characters. Did this episode leave me wondering what will happen in the next episode? No, it didn't. There was no set-up for what might happen next. And there is a big chance that whatever happens it'll be absurd, and people will just have brushed off those events by episode three. Judging by the promo for next week, it might be a good episode though.

Why am I exactly watching this show? Hmm. 1) Because I'm still eager to see which songs they have chosen to perform. 2) Quinn. She's hot, even with that hair.
I laughed out loud at the zombie-piano's wanting brains, but that was about all that I found enjoyable on Glee.
I really don't like the new Quinn. And you didn't mention anything about Lindsay from The Glee Project. I think she did a really good job :D
i don't think the fad is fading, Fox is just pushing it too far, the TV show and the albums were enough but now there's Glee everything, and maybe Ryan Murphy's buying into his own hype. i like Glee, really i do, but season 2 and this new episode were crap. horrible song choices too. what the heck? also, was it just me or does badass bitch Quinn's voice sound exponentially deeper than normal bitchy Quinn?
i think the glee fad is coming to an end, i just cant seem to like it anymore
Agreed! I found myself pressing the FF button a lot during this premiere... I'll keep it on my dvr but the sparkle of looking at my DVR list and thinking yay a new episode of Glee has gone away.
I've enjoyed Glee in the past but maybe its just me...but I was depressed after watching last episode, maybe the glee shine has rubbed off and i'm just over it.

Although..loving the Kurt/Blaine cuteness personified
I also think the recap is much funnier than the episode itself. It wasn't that bad but not that good either. I was expecting something more detailed about all of these (outstanding) changes: why did Sam and Mercedes hide their relationship? What did Rachel and Finn do this summer? And mostly, WTF happened to Quinn? Besides, I think the group of Broadway lovers was not introduced properly - Lindsay looked quite amazing, too bad they didn't give her one or two extra sequences. I know that all this frustration is gonna be gone soon as these questions will be answered in next episodes. However, I feel like the pace of the season is going too fast, and what made season 1 awesome is that the plot was developing very slowly, making the suspense higher, and the audience so thrilled! Plus, the songs played a very important role in expressing the characters' feeling and expect for Blaine, I did not feel any reel emotion during this episode. The only scene that was really worth it was the piano getting on fire - and skank Quinn smoking, bad ass attitude suits her so well!!!
I stopped watching the moment they cut Chord Overstreet. What happened with that? He was by far the most authentic of all of the characters in that series(the homeless backstory) and now, the show has ADD so badly you can't get invested in one storyline without wondering if there's a point for the big picture.
Great episode, way much better that season 2, it seems a little more like Glee season 1 and I kind of like it because of it... some things weren't necessary and Quinn storyline stills bugs me... anyway Lindsay was amazing in the episode, wasn't my favorite from TGP but really wanted to see what kind of character Ryan would write for her and it worked for me...

Sue's story line also seem a little flaw, but hey after season two it would've been wrong to go back to little hate between schools departments right? Let's make it political although who would vote for arts elimination in school??

Bottom line, even with all of this, I enjoy the episode way much than I did many from last season and really came back to Glee's root, hope keep it that way
only things that bothered me were a) lindsey was tlly not mentioned in this! she may not be everyones fave (not mine) but she definetly blew the pants off that song!amazing! b) i thought vanessa lengies's character was going to have a purpose (obvs not) c) zizes was awesome! why did she have to go???? d) though darren criss looks AWESOME in normal school clothes i wanted to see kurt beg a little more for him to come to mckinley

my only hope is that shelby corcoran scares quinn enough that she sheds the cigarrettes and puts on some clothes to hide the god awful tatoo. the hairs kinda cool tho. can't wait for damian to make his debut!
I missed the premiere, I think I was getting drunk and touching people? Thanks for the recap it was funnier than the show.
and personally I liked it a lot!!! Lindsay FTW!!!!
I find it very odd that the article - and none of the comments so far - go on to mention that Lindsay from Glee Project made her debut tonight!
I watched the first 10 minutes - I'm done for the season. Looks like it's NCIS for me this season.
So dissappointed with new character Sugar and shows portrayal of self-diagnosed Aspergers...it was not funny at all....I hope the writers change her backstory to just being a RichDaddy's girl with a bad attitude..You can be a Brat without having to blame it on a disability!
At no point did they say "the Jew who paid for the pianos." It was "the rich dude who donated the pianos." Claims of antisemitism are not to be made lightly.
i'm guessing now it's mandatory for every tv.com writer to do those image-funny phrase reviews like price peterson does, mmm... makes it look unoriginal tbh...
OK I won't do them anymore. You've now ruined the fun for everyone.
some parts were better than others. i was actually surprised how almost nicely they handled the sam thing. being that ryan murphy;s a reputed prick i expected that they were gonna make it that sam dumped mercedes and glee cause he decided he was too cool for them, but making it that his family moved actually made sense with his last storyline. i was beyond relieved to see the last of lauren zizes, she brought nothing to the plot except to create unneeded problems, she was like a teen form of sue in the glee club. and quinn;s plot bugged me but i can;t stand quinn in general so i won;t even go into that. the one thing i hate though is they turned blaine into kurt. as it says in this, why would blaine, who already has a show choir that worships him and rules a school just abandon it? the great thing about blaine last year... other than the fact that darren criss could charm the pants off basically anybody but because blaine was different than kurt and they balanced each other out. but two kurt;s? a gross misuse of the new star of glee that is darren criss. that sugar character seems as useless as charice;s character last year, so hopefully she won;t have too strong a role. i;ll tune in next week but idk, it cant be worse than the 3;d fiasco.
The second half of the show wasn't nearly as awful as the first half. I'm not sure if I like this new Quinn storyline. It really shows how untalented of an actress DA is. But she looks great...But yeah overall it was just as stupid as usual.
The bomb is ticking! Just didn't get the song selection except the GoGo's was hot!

The rest, well...........

I think its time to move on!
It was better than Season 2, worse than Season 1.