Glee: The Whitney Houston Episode

Glee S03E17: “Dance with Somebody”

“This isn’t about passing judgment on Whitney; it’s about celebrating her music.” Mr. Schue took a trip through the world of creepy characterization this week, but at least he made this point, which is a very important one to make considering the nature of this week’s episode. Admittedly, I wasn’t wild about the idea of a tribute episode a first. It seemed morbid and exploitative. To put it bluntly, if Whitney Houston hadn’t died in February, this episode would've never been written. But I came around to it. I had the same experience with the Michael Jackson tribute. I should have learned my lesson then.

The opening number, an a capella version of “How Will I Know,” was simple and awesome. The locker shrine was a nice touch.

Moving into the actual plot of “Dance with Somebody,” Schue decided that this week’s rehearsal theme would be the music of Whitney Houston. The only real downside to this theme for me was that I’m not terribly familiar with Whitney Houston’s music. I know “I Will Always Love You” and “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” and I’ve seen her stellar performance of the National Anthem on YouTube. OH, and she sang a duet on The Prince of Egypt soundtrack with Mariah Carey. That song did not make an appearance on Glee.

Kurt agonized over which Whitney song to perform and which to sing for his NYADA audition and, upset over the lack of attention Blaine had been showing him recently, bonded with newcomer Chandler at the music store. They began to exchange flirtatious texts and of course Blaine found them in Kurt's phone. Kurt and Blaine argued over whether the texting counted as cheating because Kurt had no intention of taking his relationship with Chandler beyond digitally transmitted messages. Both sides in the debate made strong arguments, but Rachel hit it right on the head when she asked Kurt, prior to Blaine stumbling upon the texts, that if it was all so innocent, why didn’t he just let Blaine in on the secret from the beginning?

Yeeeeah.

Scorned, Blaine sang “It’s Not Right But It’s Okay,” publicly shaming Kurt in front of the glee club and recreating the actual Whitney music video. I noticed that Glee gave “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” the same treatment, and I loved it. I’m sure I missed all sorts of little details due to my lack extensive Whitney knowledge, but what I saw was really awesome.

Also, Darren Criss needs to get all INTENSE more often. Love me some Darren Criss. I was delighted when research revealed that he’s only about a week older than me, therefore, it’s not at all unacceptable for me squeal like a 13-year-old at a One Direction concert whenever he sings.

So, let’s take a moment from the song and dance to talk about Mr. Schuester and why his sudden desire to bump the wedding up by several months PURELY to guarantee that the glee kids can make it is creepy and...creepy. There is nothing wrong with teachers and students bonding, becoming actual friends outside of the classroom, or maintaining that relationship long after the student has departed. I’ve been exchanging letters with my fifth-grade teacher since I was eleven. I get it.

But the man wanted to completely alter months of planning—not just his OWN, but his FUTURE WIFE’S—without even really asking her, because he feared that the glee kids might not be able to make it to November nuptials, since most of them will be scattered all over the country.

It’s a valid concern, sure, but I think the action is a bit much. Maybe not by itself, but it certainly crosses an alarming line when you take into consideration his general dismissal of Emma’s concerns. It’s her wedding too, Schue.

So there was that. I don’t particularly care when the wedding takes place. If it were to happen in November, and some of the kids didn’t make it back, I’m sure it would be a reluctant decision on their part. I mostly feel bad for Emma at the moment. If she has to get married at a KOA campground, the woman is going to hyperventilate her way down the aisle.

Back at New Directions, Kurt tried to change Blaine’s mind with a heartfelt rendition of “I Have Nothing” but they ultimately ended up in couples' counseling with Emma Pillsbury. Despite Emma's admission that she was really not qualified for it at ALL, the boys managed to get to the bottom of their issues. Sure, Blaine was pissed about the texts from Chandler, but really, overall, he was upset about Kurt’s impending move to New York City. He has a lot invested in their relationship. He’s altered his life in a lot of ways to be with Kurt. And now Kurt is leaving.

It looked like, at the very least, Emma managed to slap a Band-Aid on Kurt and Blaine's relationship woes. Hopefully it’ll work out. I hate when those two look so sad.

And as though to counter the general angst pervading every other relationship on the show, Joe and Quinn tentatively became a thing. Joe spent most of the episode worrying about whether or not he’d have to compromise his faith to be with Quinn. When he finally just asked her, she was totally accommodating. Aww, they’re so cute.

Cue awesome group performance of “My Love is Your Love.”

Questions:

1. Favorite song of the night? I’m going with Blaine’s “It’s Not Right But It’s Okay” and the ending number. What were yours?

2. Do you think we'll see Schue and Emma's wedding before the end of the season?

3. Was Emma’s counseling just a stopgap, or do you think Blaine and Kurt are going to be fine?

4. How do we feel about Joe and Quinn getting together?

5. And finally, I really missed Sue. Did anyone else miss Sue?

I think the opening number should have panned back to show that the only person in the audience was the ever-present piano player kicking back and enjoying the show.
I thought the whole jump to scorned lover w/o any discussion was a little much... I mean, did the two of them even talk about what happened? Also, Mr. Schue leaped to super creeper territory in this episode lol (he was also a bit of a douche too).
The opening number, How Will I Know? was the best song of the night.

I can't believe so many people here aren't familiar with Whitney Houston. Where have you all been? Even if you didn't grow up listening to her, people sing her songs all the time on American Idol and plenty of other awards shows.

At least Glee was able to get the rights to so many of her good songs, unlike the Michael Jackson episode where they seemed to be mostly random songs.

Loved the episode for the most part.
Dang no mention of Amber Riley's renditons of Whitney, I will chalk up as an oversight. I would actually buy a cover of Amber singing Whitney songs.
Just an observation, and nothing homophobic, but do all gay guys east of the rockies dress like pee wee herman???
Brittany dancing always makes the episode for me. She is amazing!!
1. I love Brittany dancing, so that was an awesome song in my opinion, even if she isn't the greatest singer. Also, Kurt's singing bothers me now. His voice is awesome when his voice is deep (or has deep as that voice of his goes), but when he sings high pitched it sounds a little weak to me.

2. I don't know. I'm really wondering what they're planning on doing this coming season, and I guess that could be something all the originals would come home for after not seeing them for a while.

3. High school relationships rarely work out beyond high school. Though why is Blaine staying? Isn't he a senior? One would think he'd like to go to New York as well, so why wouldn't he just go with Kurt?

4. I like it. But Quinn is Christian too, why does he think he has to have sex with her? Or that she'd let him? She seems to have turned a lot more to faith recently, so I'd assume she wouldn't have sex until marriage anyway (that's what happens when you get scorned by unplanned pregnancy). Btw, is that one time with Puck the only time Quinn has slept with anyone, or am I forgetting something?

5. I didn't miss Sue, not because I don't like Sue, but I didn't really see room for her in this episode, so I thought it was a good choice.

I was not really excited for this episode because I don't really know Whitney Houston songs, but I actually enjoyed the singing and the episode overalll. Mr. Shue I thought was being a bit unreasonable. Joe and Quinn together is a cute thing but what happened with Arty? Santanna sang a lot this episode which was awesome. I felt so bad for Blaine... He looked absolutely gorgeous during his performance, but the rest of the glee cast standing behind him just looked awkward to me.
Wow this episode was mind-blowingly good. The stories were great and the overall standard performance was the best I've seen for a long time.

I'm also not a Whitney expert but i remember that silly Prince of Egypt duet

"Who! Knows! What Miracles! You! Can! Achieeeeeve! When! You! Belieeeeeve!..." Plus also from the nineties she had a song a liked maybe a year or two earlier called Step by Step that had firemen in the video I think(?). Anyhoo:

1. Kurt's was definitely the best I was incredibly moved and it's probably his best performance for the whole series.

2. Of course. Don't be too hard on Mr. Schue, his bond with these kids is way beyond normal student-teacher (and not in a sexual way). Plus Emma was the one trying to change the date.

3. Nah I think Emma's counselling did the trick. Now it's smooth sailing to the season finale.

4. This is a really nice thing to happen and it gives Glee Project guy something to do. And since ArtiQuinn is never happening this will have to do.

5. I've no issue with her getting a rest and they were more than fine without her.
I'm a huge Whitney fan but "Step By Step" from the Preacher's Wife soundtrack has always been a favorite of mine. Underrated gem.
i cried my way through this episode, i'm ashamed to say. it;s sad that glee is ending (i mean technically they;re coming back for season 4 but it won;t be the same or even include everybody).

i thought this was good, even though i too am not all that familiar with whitney houston's music and only recognized about two songs, i still thought this was a good episode. although i wouldn't be surprised if finchel and klaine both break up before season;s end
Blaine's song was awesome but as a whole i didn't like this episode cos i m sick of Whitney's tributes like they dont have anymore stories so y not add a tribute episode.yeah i think so there will be a wedding but it sounds boring and i didnt miss sue i was rather happy not seeing her.
Omg I can't believe what i'm reading in the comments. I don't know you, but I love you for wanting more Darren. I'm like obsessed or something.

1. Can't choose just one. Really enjoyed them all

2. Maybe they do, but I'm with the other people on that. They should keep it for next season.

3. I SERIOUSLY hope they don't break them up. Their relationship is sweet, and gives hope for a lot of us out there (I know how silly that sounds, but I don't care)

4. They look good together

5. Not that much
Also, I never thought that i'd say this, but I'm sooo looking forward to graduation. I've grown to love these characters so much over the years, but their plot lines are just so stale. IDGAF about Finchel getting married (even though Rachel is my favorite), IDGAF about anything involving Klaine this season (though I love Kurt), and the writers have decided to abandon Santana's story, which was by far the best written and acted story line this season. I can't wait for a fresh new batch of characters and story lines next year.
Glee has a Darren Criss problem.

First, I have no issue with Darren. He seems cool. In fact, the Darren Criss problem isn't his fault. The problem is that the writers are so in love with him that they keep on throwing sooo much material at him every episode, a lot of which he can't handle.

There's a reason that there is no Lea Michele problem. Lea is a flawless actress/performer who can sell any song, and hit any note. The fact that the writers giver her a lot of material isn't an issue. Darren, however, has a nice voice but so many of the songs that they give him are out of his limited range. Also, his acting needs SERIOUS work. That scene in Ms. Pilsbury's office was awful. Chris Colfer was putting so much into that scene, and Darren really couldn't capitalize. I understand that Blaine/Darren is popular with the viewers, but the writers need to figure out a way to use him, because they devote so much of the show to him, and he's not handling the material very well.
The song is called "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", I know they shortened it for the episode title but still.

1. How Will I Know, the arrangement was so amazing and flawless. It was great seeing the seniors perform together. Where was Finn in this episode?

2. Hopefully not. Too much going on.

3. I love Blaine and Kurt, with an emphasis on Blaine. I think they may be headed for Splitsville though.

4. I'm not sure yet but I have an open mind.

5. YES. Sue is amazing!
1. My Love Is Your Love

2. I hope not!!!

3. I think they are done. I think it would make a better show. To be a bit real and fun Blaine needs to have a slutty senior year and Kurt needs to go off to NYC and get heartbroken etc a few times.

4. I feel like it makes sense, but honestly get that girl out of the wheelchair. We get it, Don't Text and Drive. Oprah would be proud for the PSA.

5. Missed Sue so much. I was hoping that she would do something similar to the Madonna episode where she would be all about the artist. I hope she'll be back soon. Along with NeNe.
1. Dance With Somebody, largely because of Brittany and Santana and the dancing.

2. Not if they're smart. If they have any sense they'll use it to bring back the original cast for the only episode next season that will have good ratings. Also, what a selfish asshole.

3. Stopgap. They are so over.

4. He makes her less awful.

5. I so did not miss Sue. Not even a little. More Sue-less episodes, please.
Lost all creditability wanting Darren to be more intense. He was intense in scenes he didn't need to be intense in.

• 8:00 pm