Glee's New Directions Will Rise Again, With Rachel Berry as Their Leader

Glee isn't calling curtains on the New Directions after all.

The McKinley High glee club, which was shuttered by Principal Sue (Jane Lynch) in Season 5, will be making a comeback with the help of none other than Rachel Berry (Lea Michele), Fox revealed Wednesday.

According to new details released on the musical dramedy's final 13-episode run, Rachel will return to Lima, Ohio after experiencing "humiliating failure" in her attempt to become a TV actress. When she learns that Sue has in fact banished all arts from McKinley—which was only a matter of time, right?—she is determined to resurrect the glee club and become its new leader.

But don't worry about Mr. Schuester—or Rachel's fellow (now-former?) New Yorkers—just yet. Michael Morrison's Schue, Darren Criss's Blaine, and Chord Overstreet's Sam will all be in Ohio, but with "surprising" new jobs. (Here's hoping Sam's new gig somehow incorporates his amazing impressions.)

Meanwhile, Chris Colfer (who plays Kurt) and Kevin McHale (Artie) will also be back as series regulars. Same goes for Amber Riley (Mercedes) and Dot-Marie Jones (Coach Bieste), both of whom only recurred last season.

News that Rachel will take over as New Directions' new leader comes after Glee creator Ryan Murphy revealed last year that he'd originally envisioned that the series would end with Finn at the helm of New Directions. Cory Monteith, who portrayed the character, died in July 2013 of an accidental drug overdose, and Finn was subsequently killed off the series last October.

Also on the agenda for Glee's final season are the return of Dave Karovsky—possibly as a love interest for Blaine—and the addition of five brand-new characters

Do you think Rachel will be a good glee club director? Are you sad she didn't make it as a TV star?

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Aug 29, 2014
this is actually the most coherent thing I've heard from Glee in years
Aug 29, 2014
I personally would rather have had Kurt or Mercedes as the new directions leader. It is hard to imagine the self centered and insecure Rachel as changing that much. The glee club has always sort of been a support group for nobodies. But to be supportive you have to want others to succeed and be their number one fan.
Aug 28, 2014
Everytime I read something about the new season I think "Can it become any worse?" and I answer myself "No, how?" and then a new update comes along and I go "Well, how about that - they made it worse."
Not that I expect anything at all from the next season but I feel like they actually want us to hate it...
Aug 28, 2014
Totally agree with you. This is IMO pathetic. IMO, Kevin O'Reilly did not do this to Glee. Glee is its own worst enemy. Some people liked seasons 4 and 5. Not me. Viewers have shown their displeasure with the path Glee has taken. Leaving in masses. I left early season 4. This is not what Glee has ever been about. I won't bother with watching Glee anymore. I tuned into this article hoping for something good from Glee again. I guess, I was wrong.
Aug 29, 2014
I didn't like seasons 4 and 5 either and I really don't think that they can make it better in season 6. I did watch it until the last episodes of season 5 and I will watch season 6 but... oh well. I guess most of the time I won't know if I should cry or laugh.
Aug 30, 2014
We are going to fix this show right now for season 6, even if there is too much non-stopping hatred going on on this show.
Aug 29, 2014
Kevin O'Reilly was this show's enemy and he did do this to this show, especially when he could not pay attention about keeping Cory Monteith out of rehab on time and alive. Kevin's replacement will try and help fix everything in this entire FOX network, even if this show is becoming more hated at the same time.
Aug 31, 2014
Thank you for the explanation. Okay, that sounds really bad. Executive meddling can really destroy a show, so maybe the sixth season will be better.
I'm honest here, my hopes are still not that high but I'd love to be surprised in a positive way.
Sep 01, 2014
Glee is not the only show having problems right now. New Girl, The Mindy Project, American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance are having the same problems along the way. But right now, FOX is fixing everything right now as New Girl and The Mindy Project are renewed. I'm not sure about American Idol. But we still fight for the 12th season of So You Think You Can Dance, because 12th is important and we want to make sure that the top 2 guys end up as top 2 finalists this Wednesday.
Aug 29, 2014
From your posting I guess Kevin O'Reilly was a producer and did a lot of executive meddling?
Aug 30, 2014
Kevin O'Reilly did a lot of FOX network executive meddling and he got careless on all finances and keeping track on important actors and actresses.
Aug 28, 2014
To all you fans who quit Glee, do not officially quit yet.

We already know that fired FOX member Kevin O'Reilly was the cause of this general financial network collapsing incident. He was the one who messed this show up and also made erratic urgent moves on both The Mindy Project, New Girl and So You Think You Can Dance.

They already found a new member to replace Kevin and they are going to fix everything in this network.

We want to see the return of Melissa Benoist, Alex Newell and Jayma Mays return to this show a recurring guests.

We hope some fisherman spots a loaded gun in the lake while fishing, reports to police and gets Sue Sylvester arrested and thrown in jail for the rest of her life in the end.

Aug 28, 2014
Didn't they tease the show was leaving New York and going to a new, exciting place? They had a perfect opportunity to take the show to L.A. Rachel would start her acting career, Mercedes and Santana could work on their albums, Artie could work on being a director and Sam could do something with his impressions. I'm sure they could have found something for some of the other actors to do as well. I just don't get why they made a big deal out of leaving McKenly if they were just going to come back after 8 episodes.
Aug 28, 2014
Am I sad that she didn't make it as a TV star? I'm sort of trying to block away that storyline all together, she always wanted to be a Broadway star!
And them rehashing the storylines from season 1 is just ridiculous. But it seems these days that writers have a hard time writing "the final season" of shows, with the exception of Breaking Bad. (seriously: Gossip Girl, 90210, Dexter, Lost, Desperate Housewives, Friends, True Blood. I could go on and on...)
Aug 28, 2014
I don't think you can really lump Friends in there. That wasn't the sort of show that had overarching plots: apart from the occasional wedding, divorce or birth, the episodes were pretty standalone. The last few series got gradually worse, and more like a parody of the original show, but they didn't exactly "struggle making a plot for the final season."

(also, you can't really say "these days" about Friends - it's ancient now!)
Aug 28, 2014
That's true. I guess I was just listing shows with not so good final seasons (compared to the early days). But in that case, I should also rule Glee out since that's also gotten gradually worse.
Aug 28, 2014
Why don't they just let this show die already???
Well, they are.
Aug 28, 2014
Sounds stupid, someone put this show out of its misery.
Aug 28, 2014
Just when we thought we were rid of the Marley gang, we're going to get a whole bunch of new Glee kids? Scared, I am.
One thing that could be good, if it was handled properly (I dare not hope), would be the killing of the "if you don't get out of your hometown, you suck" trope, and the show changing his message from "everyone always get their dream jobs" to "you can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes sometimes, you might just get what you need". Though I'm not sure Glee can deliver proper messages anymore without confusing its viewers or being horribly un-subtle/offensive.
Aug 28, 2014
I'm just going to pretend I didn't read this update.
Hate this "new direction" the show is going. BLEH.
Aug 28, 2014
The absolute worst storyline, in my opinion, is Rachel leaving her successful Broadway role in Funny Girl to try her hand at TV. This makes no sense in terms of the character...that she would suddenly give up her lifelong dream. If this was all a contrived way to get Rachel back to Lima to take over the Glee club, then that's even more crazy. They should have just let the Glee club die, and continued to follow the characters as they mature and pursue their dreams. At least the New York stories were fresh. What are they thinking? You can't go back...
Aug 28, 2014
it makes sense because she might have different values and dreams now that Finn died.
Aug 28, 2014
5 NEW characters? Isn't it a little late for that?
Aug 28, 2014
Let it die, please let it die!
Aug 28, 2014
Didn't we all call this at the beginning of the summer? No surprise here. Rachel killed her own career. Abandoning Funny Girl, where she probably would've won a Tony and gone on to be a major Broadway star, for a half cooked idea of a TV show was crazy. She abandoned her original dream, burned major bridged in the process, and is now back in Lima heading up New Directions and being the new Schue, although I'm sure there'll be less white guy rapping and early 90s covers. I'm more concerned about this Karofski/Blaine rumor. As I've said on another post, I'm all for Karofski coming back - I loved him as a character and he was one of the few fully drawn in as a character, but him and Blaine as a couple makes absolutely no sense. Dave never looked twice at Blaine, his crush was Kurt and it was Kurt's rejection that partially (though in a much more minor way as compared to what else he was dealing with) contributed to his suicide attempt. It was Kurt who gave him the "it gets better" speech at the hospital. Though I agree (even though I kinda wanted to see it happen) that a Dave/Kurt relationship would be problematic for longtime viewers, the truth is THAT relationship would make more sense than Dave/Blaine. It feels the Producers and Writers are trolling with this one. At least Rachel taking over ND after blowing her chances elsewhere makes some amount of sense. Although earlier season Rachel wouldn't have been a chump like she was season five. Like, they must've hated Rachel that season. Yikes!
Aug 28, 2014
First off... it's Matthew Morrison, not Michael; as for the Season 6 storylines, all we can do is wait and see how it all develops; no use in getting ahead of ourselves.
Nope.
Aug 27, 2014
Every time I read a new article abut Glee, it sounds worse and worse. This one was no different. Yeeeeesh.
Aug 27, 2014
I'm so glad I stopped watching mid season 2, everything since then sounds like a travesty.