Globes, Oscars stricken

tv_StrikeSource2.jpg

This year's Golden Globes and Oscars could lack the luster usually attributed to the two awards shows, as the writers strike has forced some changes to the annual events.

On Monday, the Writers Guild of America denied standard requests from the producers of both shows, a move that could greatly affect how both are run, according to Bloomberg. Dick Clark Productions, which runs the Golden Globes, won't have the assistance of WGA writers to pen its presentations, and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which handles the Academy Awards, does not have permission to use clips from old films, something normally used in the event's tributes.

More damaging to the shows was actually how the WGA will participate in the Golden Globes--they'll attend, but mostly on the sidewalk holding signs. The WGA told Variety that it plans to picket the Golden Globes, which could deter some stars from participating. The Screen Actors Guild has been very supportive of the WGA since the onset of the strike, and many stars feel that attending the awards show is crossing the picket line, both literally and figuratively.

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP), the side on the other end of the strike, continued its attack on the union in the wake of the WGA's decisions.

"In the category of Worst Supporting Union, the nominee is the WGA," says a post on the organization's Web site. The post also accuses the WGA of hurting its own members, the city of Los Angeles, and "the creative artists who deserve to be honored for their work over the last year."

Without writers, the awards shows could be even more awkward than normal, with actors having no teleprompter jokes they typically stumble through. Producers of the show are also weary of vocal actors speaking out against the AMPTP and the studios when they're at the podium.

The Golden Globe Awards show takes place January 13. Whoever is in charge of censoring the telecast better be ready.

For more on the writers strike, check out TV.com's Strike Source, featuring up-to-date statuses on shows, the latest information, and more.

I hate reward shows to ebgin with, so I wasn't watching anyway.

However why nobody is meeting to end this is beyond me. Most of these writers are already losing thier jobs (4401, Dead Zone, Journey Man, Best Years, Instant Star and others all axed) and other work on shows that will never be on dvd or online (most black sitcoms, one season wonders, TNBC's lineup and others) for various reason (music cost, lost footage or no interest).

So why stop working when the union probably won't help you keep that show on the air or get on dvd so you can get that money that all this mess has caused.
Try agemingle.com, you will find more....
I'm getting pretty tired of hearing people comparing this to people in the iraq war, it isn't the same industry (I could complain about a 6 year old making 10 times more than me) or whatever else and saying no risk blah blah blah. It's sad that they haven't seen their families, but corporate america still goes on, and thus, everyone moves on. Corporations and actors aren't the only ones who should be seeing large profits from shows. Let's put this in perspective for those people. Actors DO NOT have any risk of losing money and make a substantial amount more. Let's take the show Seinfeld for example he got an average of $1,000,000 per episode (not even counting residuals and dvd sales) and let's be generous with how much each writer made (wga saying 50% get an average of $100,000/year and the AMPTP saying $400000 being the average) $1,000,000/year break that down $1mil divided by 26 episodes per season that's $38461/episode that's a difference of $961539/episode. the writers get 1/3 of a percent (that's 0.0033) of dvd sales which they helped create which in my opinion is more important than sitting behind a desk looking pretty and deciding which shows to cut. The CEO's are obviously getting far more than Jerry Seinfeld was getting per episode and even the cost of 10 writers is only 1/3 of what he gets per episode.

Online TV in the next 5 years is expected to make $4 billion the writers currently get nothing but say they got the same deal as the dvd's so 1/3 of a percent here's a number for that.

$4,000,000,000 - Gross Profits

$0,013,200,000 - What ALL writers get between them.

So tell me does this sound fair to you? I'm in graphic design and people think that all it is, is drawing pictures, it's not that it's how much you can make that company and you're small slice of the pie that you're getting from the money they are getting from your design. Writers are the same way and they deserve their fair share of the pie just as much as actors and CEO's. Many of you are saying you want your shows back well that proves that the writers are making an impact on television just as much as anybody else.

As for the writers and actors taking a hit there is a big difference then that of the studio taking a hit which means they don't make any or much money even after paying their entire staff but you can be guaranteed that they aren't losing a dime on the deal.
I agree with Harrox. I just want my shows back. I know that the writers want compensation for what they had a hand in creating, but in the grand scheme of things, I can't feel sorry for people who live in Hollywood and write tv shows for a living when there are soldiers in Iraq who haven't seen their families in months. I just think the obsession with being rich and famous has reached the point of absurdity lately. I love tv and movies a lot, but there needs to be a reality check for these people sometime.
i just want my shows back, but yeah this is gonna be such an awkward show i can't wait to watch :)
Only the ones risking the money should benefit from the work? That's not how it works, it depends on the contracts you have. Since the writer is the main creator of the work, they should get some compensation from the profit. Otherwise, people are paid upfront for their work and won't see any more money unless a profit is made. For example, my friend had a guest spot on a Seinfeld episode and she'd paid upfront for the job and now gets a $400-500 check every few months just based on the reruns of one episode. That's one actor in one episode. The studio is making much more above that. It also wouldn't be like that if the show was poorly written and wasn't shown all over the world. Everyone benefits, but the studios benefit more and first. Without the amazing writing, the billions in profit for Seinfeld wouldn't exist. You can't deny that there may be tons of crap on TV, but it's the quality written shows that gets rerun, sold online and on DVD.
I had to read Trident's post to see what all the fuss was about. And I laughed! Without grunts like writers, many shows would not exist. We'd be stuck in a land full of reality shows (shudder) and game shows. Have you written anything lately? not as easy as it sounds. It's not smashing fingers on a keyboard and hoping Shakespeare comes out

Without writers, songs would not exist. Without writers, publishing companies would not have any books to sell. Without programmers writing code, software companies would not exist. Hell, without cooks, restaurants would be McDonalds.
Award shows are too long, too over the top, and too forced/fake feeling anyway... haven't watched one in years. No loss.
Gee Trident, are you a business owner? I hope not cuz you'd suck as a boss! These shows are great due TO the writers. How can there be a great show without great writers? I hope the strike continues until they get what they want. Until then, you all need to FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO. What do you all do during the summer? Watch the shows you already saw during the season?
time to end this stupid strike
I'm having a hard time here, because while i completely agree with Trident in thinking unions are criminal organizations and they treat each and every one of their members like part of one, i also think without writers there wouldn't be any shows or movies to invest on;so from the "actors and writers are not affected when a show or movie does poorly" point of view maybe they should be affected then, if a tv show does poorly then take away a percentage from their paychecks and that's all, now they wouldn't like that, would they?, because then they'd be losing money just like studios and that wouldn't be fair because....., nope, that actually would be fair!!!, studio loses, writers lose, actors lose, everyone loses evenly, that'd be the best way, don'yt you think?
As harsh as *Trident* puts it, it's so dam horribly the truth.

I'm from Chile, and let me tell you a little story: there's wool produce factory here (actually was, it filed for bankruptcy a couple of weeks ago), as in all mayor business, some chap put some money into it, and started from scratch. A few months ago, the workers went on strike, demanding better job conditions, more wages, more this, more that, end to world hunger, etc. Much like WGA nearly the workers said they wouldn't go back to work unless their demands were met. Fair enough, after weeks on strike, management came through. Anyway, a few weeks after the strike, one of the company's mayor buyers' contract was up for renewal, but guess what, the buyers didn't renew the contract, they felt stability in the compnay was slacking, and since we're talking about the company's top buyers, which supplied to mayor US dept. stores, the compnay, wasn't able to keep up, they were dragging loss since the strike. What's even funniner (in a sick way) is that the same striking workers, were now even saying they would take pay-cuts to keep the factory running, but it was too late, suddenly they were out job.

Poetic justice, I think so. The company's name was "Bellavista Oveja Tomé" and had been running since the begining of the century.
If I change my name to Trident, will my IQ drop to a primate's level? Let's test that theory. People with money should make movies, because nobody has money but at those 4 movie studios run by shylock's. And writers are criminals when they insist on a MINIMUM standard of living by forming a union. Just like UPS, the Post Office, the Fraternal Order of Police, etc. Oh yes, writiers and actor's that take a percentage of the movies net are not affected when a movie does poorly(Jack Nicholson, etc.). Producers and investors are morally obligated to have morals and be obligated to ... feed themselves. The Shylock's know this. The People know this. And in the business of Theater, History knows this. All the World is a stage, and the Writer's are it's Creator. Having money does not make you important. Having knowledge makes you important. It seems the Producers and Investors have neither, or else this would be over already.
More power to the WGA. I just hope they get their demands met soon, I am having withdrawls of my favorite shows.
Here's how it is concerning this strike.
The ones taking the risk and investing the money deserve the profits. The ones not taking the risks and not investing the money in the projects just deserve what has been contractually agreed with them.
Do actors and writers take a pay CUT when a project fails, or do they still get their salary as is agreed upon when they signed the contract?
If the latter is the case then they also deserve nothing but their salaries when a project succeeds, since they didn't take any chances and put up any money like the investors and producers/studio's did.

You say without writers there aren't any shows?
Nonsense. Without MONEY and RISK taking there aren't any shows. There are plenty of writers clamoring for a shot at the big time, while there aren't plenty of people with the guts and the money to invest in potentially unsuccesful projects.

The only reason it *seems* that shows need these writers is because unions are basically criminal organizations. They strongarm you to join and support them, otherwise you get ostracized, they call you a "scab" and they'll scr*w with your career for it. Otherwise individual writers (and actors) would have a lot more courage ignoring strikes.

The biggest irony is that these people in Hollywood hate the McCarthy-era, yet what they do to you if you don't "play ball" with the unions is exactly what happened in the McCarthy-era. Writers and actors in Hollywood are the biggest hypocrites in the world.

I wholeheartedly support the producers and investors out of morality and principal, and urge them to fire anyone who doesn't get back to work, and to hire fresh new writers who are dying for a shot to write for a TV-show or movie.
Time to play hardball.
that'd be nice to see

the actor's screwing up the awards show.

I would support them if i could and if it would help ending that damm strike.
So the WGA wants to sabotage the award shows??? Wow some way of gaining support.

And are the actor that chickensh#* not to attend beacause they'll look bad, wow! I thought the WGA were the ones on strike
how can so many people be out of the damn loop on the whole strike. it's not like they are asking for the world here, just a "fair" chunk to live. i'm in a union, a much different one yet still you need to stand up and take what's yours and i understand that. with the writers not working how can you not see how bad, sorry worse that watching tv has become.

j
When will the writers' strike end? And, why are

they really striking? I'm hoping my favorite actor

in a drama (Michael C. Hall) "Dexter" gets the

golden globle award. This young man has done plays,which call for immediate responses. Acting

live in front of an audience is not an easy task.

Superb acting, Michael !!!!!!!

You get my nod for best :o)

Christine Baptista King
How stupid are you people? If the writers of reality shows (yes they have writers) were able to join the WGA, then they would get BENEFITS! Reality show writers WANT to join the WGA! But the AMPTP won't let them, because the AMPTP doesn't want to save money
def going to be funny.
It's amazing to read some of the people here who don't even understand the basics of how a strike works or why it's done. You don't protest for a few months and then go back because "it's been long enough." You stop striking when you get the bosses to give what you're asking for (or at least most of it). If they don't get what they deserve, how does that make them "bratz?" If they stop now then everything they've done so far will have accomplished very little. It's outrageous that the studios make money off of new media (online video, downloads from itunes and other sites, etc.) and the writers have no say in what they're compensated, if they are at all.

If everyone knows that reality shows are scripted, why shouldn't the writers be treated like every other one?

And they're picketing and boycotting the awards shows for the same reason their doing it to every other one -- they're on strike so they don't work!

Lastly, the studios have the most illegal and corrupt accounting practices of any business in the country. They take overhead charges they pay for once and claim them in the budgets of numerous films. They inflate costs and declare almost every film that comes out a loss. Winston Groom, author of the novel Forest Gump, was famously told that he didn't get royalties because the $350 million-grossing film LOST MONEY! (He sued and won -- a rare case in Hollywood). So the writers are routinely getting screwed out of their money already. It's understandable that they don't want to get screwed out of any more.
hmmm. Let me see the logic in this... Lets picket against an awards ceremony that celebrates and rewards the shows that they write on, the people who work with them, and not to mention the writers themselves... thats like saying "no, don't thank me for the hard work i've been a part of"
Oh, live and let live. I say give the writers what they want. Why SHOULDNT they get it? Writing is more than 50% of making a good show. You can have great actors and a terrible script and the thing tanks.
I'm with Robby2Slobby on that one, that claim about basically forcing reality writers to be a part of their union was the stupidest thing I had ever heard, as well as (sort of) when writers sabotaged a taping of this talk show I'm blanking on the name of, read it here a few days ago. That was something I had never expected..just picket your lines an wait. Things will start happening when ALL the shows run out I'm perdicting (except for the reality junk I never watch anyway)
I was all for the writers at the beginning of the strike. But the addition of demands to the strike is just stupid. Demanding that reality tv writers be in the WGA is a petty move and all they are doing it for is so that next time they go on strike, TV will just die, period.

They got what they wanted and then added more. The writers lost mine and a lot of people's support after that move.
What the writers get after the strike is over will help most other guilds. How the hell are they being "bratz"
This strike is getting more and more like the Irak war; At first it was very supported, even necessary and well justified, and now it just gets to the point that because of personal interests and trying not to "lose face" they are screwing so many people in the process. The strike has gone beyond reasoning and the strikers seem more and more like little bratz, they may have had good intentions at the begining, but now they are just the biggest spoiled bratz there can be...
Yeah, the writers are obviously going to get what they want...or most of it sometime veryyyy soon. They've made their point that by basically halting television production, they have sent a bolt of lightning through all of hollywood and all of america. I hope the writers do go out there with signs and picket there. They'll just make the producers look like more of a bunch of @sses on broadcast television than they have already. The networks are going to run out of things the play on tv and still get viewers. Somebody will have to give into the writers eventually.
I don't understand how these unions are so closely woven as to cause all these problems. It really makes no sense to me at all. Why in the heck does an 'award' show have to be picketed by writers? They'll be picketing the presidential debates next! It just makes no sense to me.
LOL... this is awesome! The speeches from the award winners will go something like this... "I'd like to thank the WG-bleep bleeeep bleeeeep bleeeeeeep... and thank you to the fans." :)
IMO, this years Golden Globe Awards will be cancelled, just like the People's Choice awards. If the GG's go on as scheduled, I will definately be watching to see how good some of these presenters are at ad-libbing.
I too will watch for the first time, just to see what happens...
like the actors need another award
Kind of makes you feel bad for John Stewart.....man, if he thought it was a tought crowd the last time he hosted......
I always love watching the golden globes, but this year they really screwed up with the nominations. Way to many good shows were left out; Lost being the big one for me.
I agree with triogirl, I don't normally watch award shows, with the expection if one of my favs is nonimated. But, I might just watch this one to how much of a train wreck it would be.
They will eventually give them what they want if they keep up doing things like this. And certainly hope they do.
It will be so funny to watch.