Grimm: Golden Egg on Nick's Face

Grimm S01E16: "The Thing with Feathers"

Friday's episode of Grimm was called “The Thing With Feathers,” but really it should've been called “Ew, Ew, Heartbreak.” The episode dealt primarily with three couples: good ol' Nick and Juliette, the chemically induced pairing of Hank and Adalind the Hexenbeast, and case-of-the-week duo Robin and Tim. Naturally, one of the new kids was an unsettling creature with the world’s most expensive goiter.

We began at the Portland police station, where Hank was trying to shoo Nick out the door for a romantic weekend getaway with Juliette. Nick was finally, finally, finally going to propose, and Hank was experiencing his own romantic woes—a result of the love potion given to him by Adalind in the episode prior. So Hank was swooning, Nick was taking off for a few days, and Sergeant Wu was suffering the effects of ingesting some extra love potion, eating office supplies with an admirable nonchalance.

As Nick and Juliette embarked on their vacation, we met Robin the Seltenvogelor (a golden bird woman) and her husband, Tim the Claustrike (a creature that looks and acts like a nasty tomcat). It seemed that Robin was trying (and failing) to escape her hubby, who for reasons unknown was force-feeding her a milky worm smoothie.

Ew.

The episode proceeded to jump back and forth among our three couples in typical Grimm fashion, with lots of monsters and glacial character movement. Hank was obsessing over Adalind to the point where he started following her home and threatening a guy he spied her making out with (a man planted by Captain Renard to gauge Hank's level of lovesick-ness). Quite understandably, Adalind wasn’t thrilled with the make-Hank-obsessed-with-her plan, but what the Captain wants, the Captain gets.

Predictably, Nick and Juliette’s did not go as planned, as their cabin was stationed across the street from the home of Tim the Cat and Robin the Bird. Rather than focus on each other, Nick and Juliette spent their time spying on the troubled monster couple, going so far as to table their first serious discussion about how Juliette thinks Nick is hiding things to spy on the neighbors some more.

Via phone, Monroe and new Fuchsbau apothecary owner Rosalee informed Nick that Seltenvogel were thought to be extinct, but were once highly prized because overfeeding a Seltenvogelor produces a solid golden egg in its neck. Cha-ching, guess what Mr. Cat was after?

Alas, Claustrike are known for being violent jerks, and it was apparent that once his goose spit up her golden egg, Mr. Cat was totally going to murder Mrs. Bird. The ew factor ratcheted up as we first saw Robin hooked to a machine that forced the worm sludge down her throat and then we saw the neck-egg and EWWWWW EWWWW EWWWW it looked like the alien from Alien was about to burst from her throat but then froze instead.

EWWWW.

Robin's escape attempts were futile. Nick found her and escorted her back to his cabin where he and Juliette reassured her they’ve called the sheriff—only to learn, oopsies, he’s Mr. Cat’s cousin, and in on the whole thing. Mr. Cat and Cousin Sheriff burst in and Nick whisked Robin into the woods just in time to (ew ew ew) take the golden egg out of Robin’s throat by (ew ew ew) cutting a hole in her neck and (ew ew ew) pulling it out of her. It was made of shiny gold, and it was actually sort of pretty.

But still. Ew.

Nick confronted the greedy cousins and, thanks to the timely intervention of a gun-toting Juliette, took ‘em down, accidentally destroying the egg. Robin was safe and Nick proposed to Juliette at home. Everything seemed great, and Juliette, of course, said...no.

Heartbreak!

Turns out all the freaky business with home break-ins, being kidnapped by dragon people, and receiving presents from the terrified Wesen have been giving Juliette second thoughts. She informed Nick that they won't be tying the knot until Nick stops hiding things.

Meanwhile, on Hank’s side, the creepy stalker spell payed off and he and Adalind enjoyed what appeared to be a wonderful date.

Overall, "The Thing With Feathers" was a pretty typical Grimm offering. The episode finally allowed Juliette to voice her concerns about Nick’s emerging double life, though not really to an extent that I'd qualify it as character development. I wish Grimm did more with Nick and Juliette's relationship than just touch on their troubles once an episode. Here was an opportunity to really explore their dynamic, yet it still feels like we’re just skimming the surface. But the cop and fantasy aspects of Grimm are as strong as ever, and a second season is secure, so perhaps the series is about to start messing with the status quo. With only six episodes left this season, here’s hoping things in the Grimm world start ramping up quicker.

Questions:

– Are Adalind and Hank actually hitting it off, or is Adalind just a really good actor?

– Will Nick and Juliette stay together? Will Nick move forward with his plan to reveal the Grimm side of his life to Juliette? Will a better actress come along to fill the shoes of Nick’s love interest?

– Speaking of love interests, how cute is the Rosalee and Monroe love story? The correct answer is "very."

– What’s up with all those foreign passports they found in Rosalee's brother’s apothecary? Was her brother a Fuchsbau spy?

– What do you think Captain Renard is?

– Will you ever be able to eat food again after watching this episode?

rosalee will be a series regular for the next season.. and while it was very "ew", it also was very strong and sort of "finally" for juliette confronting nick.. how sad he was:(
Don't forget that the dragon lady is still out there....she wasn't all evill so why not a female sidekick partner?? Who knows!!
This episode was so ewww...I had to cover parts of the screen with my hand in order not to throw up. But it's the charme of Grimm...It's so gross sometimes and so dark that you just can't stop. I remember watching an episode in the train and the person next to me looked me weird when i jumped on my seat and covered my mouth with one end and part of the screen with the other...Really funny!
5. What do you think Captain Renard is?

Considering what "renard" means in french, here's the kind of creature he might look like.

Is it really too hard to just say he could be a fox. Geez. I thought you'd at least point us to some sort of fairy tail fox, but nope, it's just a fox.
Answers:

1. Don't care about Adalind and Hank, because the actors have exactly zero chemistry (no wonder she needed this love portion). On the contrary, the chemistry between Adalind and Captain is above any boundaries, mmm...

2. Unfortunately, I think Nick will reveal the truth to Juliette, but hope SO MUCH for another actress...

3. Rosalee and Monroe are the best! No wonder here, everything connected with Monroe is the best!!!!!!!!!!

4. The creators learned about the renewal and decided to resume the horizon story. Hope it will be better than the first attempt at the beginning of the series.

5. Captain is very hot but his side (dark or light) is undefined.

6. Ahaha, I was eating AND watching the episode, what's the problem?
Ew. That's a good way to describe it. Everytime he hooked her up to that machine I thought "I know why I've become a vegetarian, no way I'm ever gonna eat meat, especially chicken and turkey, again!".

So on the other side, I don't think Adalind is into Hank, but they still look like a really cute couple. But my favs of the episode are, of course, Rosalee & Monroe.
This was a pretty good episode for Grimm. Like you mentioned, a bit more focus on character development would be great, but the plot was cool enough.

I don't get grossed out easily, but that golden-egg-goiter thing was fairly "ew."

I do think Nick and Juliette will stay together, and he'll probably reveal his Grimm-ness to her at some point. I wouldn't mind, though, if a better actress came along to be Nick's love interest -- the writing hasn't given her much to work with, but from what I've seen, I'm not a fan of hers.
Finally someone is covering Grimm.. Thank you! I loved this episode (Not as much as i loved Three coins and a Fuschbau) but i loved it because of the development in Nick and Juliette's Story. I could tell she was going to say no, but it still got me when she did, poor Nick!

That Worm smoothie was EWWW!..

BTW am also loving the Monroe and Rosalee pair up.

There have been many speculation on What/Who Captain Renard is, all i know is he is powerful. Most clues,(his magnetism, his creepy relations with priests etc) suggest he is a wizard. But i don't think he is a wizard. The dreams he had in "Three coins and a Fuschbau" of becoming all powerful and important, shouldn't he have "wazarded"them to reality by now?.The reapers kind of fears him and Nick can see Wesens for what they are but he is not really a competition but whatever Renard is, he needs Nick's cooperation on something.
Captain Renard and Adalind are obviously witches. There's plenty of them scattered throughout Grimm's stories. There's likely some history between the witches and the Grimms. Although I would like to see more Grimms show up, but that would force the writers to actually come up with a background and advance Nick's story.
I really like Rosalee and Monroe - I hope she's going to be sticking around for quite a while. It's nice for Monroe to have someone else to interact with, and I like that there's finally a 2nd female character who's on the good side of things.
Welcome Josie, good to have a staffer's prospective finally.

The "EW" factor ?? I think maybe you should put up a scale of 1-10 for the episode, cuz it is and should be a constant for this series.

I thought overall the episode slid downhill from the combined efforts of Richard Hatem/writer, and Darnell Martin/producer.

Hatem is currently working on an ABC project as well as this. I really don't like this about the industry!! When the writers/producers are not exclusive it shows, and the series suffers. I'm also not sure that a comedic romance(both writer/producer) background is best suited for this sieries. This episode and E13 "Three Coins in a Fuchsbau" were worlds apart in both production and storyline.

I find the acting very credible and was pleased to see Grimm's returning next season.

The overall arc needs more focus and episode time. As for Nick and Juliette, it's time for a decisive move from both, stay or go, but do it now and let the story move on.

I like Monroe's involvment and Nick certainly needs the guidance. Rosalee & Monroe? You are right...VERY!!

Overall, I've enjoyed this series and would like to see production/writing settle in for the LONG. Steven Carpenter needs to decide to be showrunnner OR move on with his other NBC project NOW!
Love that you are covering Grimm. Awesome show!

That episode made me put down my dinner. I was so grossed out when the guy prepared the lovely milkshake in the mixer.
I loved this quote by Monroe, especially the mention of the litter:

Eddie: "Molly, my girlfriend from high school, let me for a klaustreich, so I might be a wee bit riled up about them. He told her he loved her. He got her pregnant. She ended up delivering his litter at prom. Her parents were not thrilled."
I think that this klaustreich is the same on Monroe's story, Did anyone notice that the guy from this story as a big and nasty scare on his face when he truned into a cat? Probably Monroe did it.... just guessing!!!
"Are Adalind and Hank actually hitting it off, or is Adalind just a really good actor?"

She's definitely just setting him up. there is nothing there on her side.

This show is so bad...ugh...
Quick question for the viewers: Would you date a woman that looked as great as Claire Coffee even if sometimes she looked like a hexenbiest? What if she gave you some yummy blood cookies?
Coffee and cookies... mmmm.
YES, totally. With or without the blood cookies. Preferably without them.
First of all, welcome covering Grimm, Josie. I hope you have great success with your reviews. It's nice TV.com finally decided to cover this show.

As my general impressions of the show, it's been a pleasure to watch it every week. I just wish Nick would 'grimm up", that is, start behaving more like a fierce grimm, and a little less like an ordinary cop. However I do admire his sense of ethics, offering an interesting counterpoint from the guys in Supernatural who act outside the system and kill creatures left and right. Nick only goes after them if they commit some crime, particularly murder.

Monroe of course steals the show. It's nice to see the actor play one of the good guys for a change, as he always plays someone crazy like in Prison Break, or just bad.

I wonder why all the main characters are male. I'd like to see a recurring female character with a strong part as well. Adalind does what the captain says, and Juliette doesn't do much in general.

You were spot on wondering whether a better actress may replace Nick's love interest. Juliette sometimes seems a little creepy, with a distant and empty gaze . I don't know if that's because she has something creepy to hide, like being some sort of creature, or it's just bad acting.

Captain Renard is a very mysterious character and he could go both ways as far as intentions are concerned. I loved the episode in which he, influenced by the cursed coins, imagined himself like a modern-day Hitler or something. There's definitely something fishy there.

Hank still needs to find a reason to be in this show. I'm loving his cursed romance with Adalind. And since I'm a sucker for romance, I'm all for it, even when it's black-magic-blood-induced like that. It's hard to say if Adalind can develop any real feelings for Hank, though, because her character is not well developed (a constant flaw in the show, I'm afraid). The character hasn't been fleshed out well enough for us to know her motivations.

Finally, I can't even remember all those German names they throw around in the show, let alone pronounce them correctly! I guess I need a German crash course to follow the show.
Rest assured, you don't need a German crash course - the writers do! The words used are pidgin German - at best! - and vaguely Germanic sounding verbiage most of the time. Monroe is supposed to speak German but when he does it sounds nothing like it. The Grimm book which Nick Burkhardt sometimes refers to isn't in proper German, either. The golden egg dug out from Robin's throat was called a "unbezahlbar", which happens to be an actual German word; however, it's an adverb meaning "priceless"; it should be a noun. A "Wesen" simply means "being", which doesn't mean much. A "Seltenvogel" doesn't exist; they probably meant "seltener Vogel", i.e. "rare bird". "Blutbad" means "blood bath" which isn't something you'd call a creature. A "Fuchsbau" is a fox's burrow, which is also an inappropriate name for a being. "Klaustreich" doesn't exist any which way. And so on.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Interesting. I wonder why they made so many mistakes. It's not like German is such a rare language and you can't find proficient speakers...
And, BTW: that German passport wasn't one either: they are hard cover and burgundy colored (like all EU passports).
One time a friend of mine from Germany was asked in NY on what side of the Berlin Wall she lived...Last year...True Story!

I don't want to sound arrogant or annoying but I think that they simply don't care about authenticity when it's outside the US..even when all it takes is an english-german dictionary (or wikipedia)...
I love Monroe so I hope that couple works out. I also think Nick should just tell Juliet about his Grimmess since she's in danger all the time anyway. They could work together.

Is it too late to change my preference from Once Upon a Time to Grimm? :)
I agree with the ew. I was super not a fan of worm goop getting forced down her throat. How was that supposed to be any better for growing that egg thing than a regular smoothy? He could've at least compromised w/some protein powder or something.
Pretty sure the forced feeding was supposed to reflect the forced feeding of geese and ducks to make them produce great fois gras. I'm guessing they figured that having her pop the golden egg the normal way was just too iffy for the timeslot. They need to be careful or they're going to be as asinine as "Once Upon..." where dwarves are exclusively male and hatched fully grown with their clothes on.
Actually, real birds do often have throat sacs where they can store mineral deposits, which can be drawn on in times of need - you would be familiar with the "gizzard" from a Thanksgiving turkey.

Also, I thought the reason they made the egg form in her throat versus the normal egg way was to explain why the wesen species was basically extinct - people have to help the bird "give birth" to the egg, which is in a place that can very easily accidentally have hemorhaging, or the fact that it might in some cases be easier just to let the bird-wesen die first and then get the egg out. Remember how it was getting so big that her throat was closing up? If people were just interested in the egg, they would want it to be as big as possible. I thought the writers were trying to explain why the species had died out.
Yes, I was thinking of the fois gras as well. It's not coincidence wonder Robin the zeltenvogel is a kind of bird.

As for the dressed dwarves, I don't think natural laws and logic applies to a land of magic and fairytale fantasy, so I was OK with that part of OUaT. Somehow it fits the show's own logic. But I would've found it inadequate if that happened in Grimm, where the fantastic universe is more grounded in reality, even being a fantasy.
I like Grimm, finally it's covered. Agree with the pace of Nick and Juliette - he should tell her his fate as a Grimm already. Hopefully they don't drag it like CW did with Clark Kents relationships in "Smallville".

- Poor Hank has no chance - Potion AND psychology is a deadly mix.

- Yes if Juliette survives this season. If she doesn't, it might take a while for Nick because he surely is going to blame himself...

- Very. Almost too "very".

- A quite powerful and old warlock who is in some kind of a vendetta and hopes for Nick to help him, or not kill him at least. Not sure yet about his intentions overall.

- No. That's why I now need this feeding-machine of the Klaustrike.