Grimm: Mommie Dearest

Grimm S01E22: "Woman In Black"

“Woman In Black,” last night’s fantastic Grimm finale, wove together almost every single thread that’s been left dangling over the course of Season 1, from Hank’s Wesen glimpses to Nick’s parents to Adalind to mentions of the Seven Royals and more.

Hank was going speedily insane as the episode began, his human mind unable to process the Wesen transformation he saw last episode. Nick spared little time to worry about his partner, focused on Akira Kimura instead and wondering how Kimura, the Coins, and his parents were related.

He didn’t have long to wonder as Kimura showed up in Portland to look for the Coins, killing the ex-cop he hired to tail Nick, Hank, Monroe, and Captain Renard before he slunk off to murder Captain Renard’s maid. Sorry Edgar, I have a new favorite Wesen hit man in town and his name is Snowflake Viking Tattoo!

Speaking of unrepentant murderers, Adalind returned! After she fed potion to her cat Magique (wah wah wah) she let kitty scratch Juliette the Vet. Apparently Adalind had just enough magic left for revenge, and the odds were ten-to-one that Juliette was about to develop something a lot spookier than cat-scratch disease.

Kimura’s wanton murdering set the Portland PD on his trail, along with a mysterious woman who rocked an absolutely awesome black hoodie/jacket combination. Seriously, it was really nicely fitted (tailor-made, maybe?). Anyhow, Kimura went after Renard, displaying an interrogation style heavy on threatening people with a scimitar. Despite this, Renard never went Wesen. Kimura also never recognized Renard as someone to fear the way every other Wesen who tangled with Renard has—making us wonder, once again, who is Captain Renard?

Portland’s finest freed Renard, and Monroe joined Nick for some quality Team Grimm book-poring-over in Aunt Marie’s trailer. Filling a crossbow with sleeping potion, Nick returned home in time for Juliette to explain how Adalind’s cat scratched her. The Juliette/Nick plot shot into overdrive as Nick freaked out, and there was only one solution: Take Juliette to the trailer and show her the truth!

Except here’s the thing—Juliette’s seen the trailer, and shoving crappy drawings of monsters under her nose was not going to convince her.

To give Grimm credit, I always assumed when the big reveal happened, Juliette and Nick’s relationship would be strained because Juliette believed him—not because she would think he should be committed. Joyfully throwing my expectations out the window, the scene also let Grimm poke fun at itself as Nick rattled off complicated German names and events and Juliette went, “Huh?”

Desperate, Nick took her to Monroe for final proof (because hey, remember how Hank began to lose his mind after one glimpse of Wesen Monroe? Yeah, do that to your girlfriend). Before Blutbading could happen, however, Adalind’s potion took effect. Nick rushed Juliette to the hospital while Monroe rushed to the side of everyone’s favorite Team Grimm member -- Rosalee! -- to find a cure.

Adalind was in the wind, and a near miss with the woman in black had Hank cradling the biggest shotgun I’ve ever seen. Nick returned home just as Mr. Snowflake finished trashing the place. They fought; Nick shot his crossbow and missed! But just when things looked grimm (sorry), the woman in black strolled in, dispatched Kimura, and revealed herself to Nick.

It was his mother. She’s alive.

End of episode!

I’ve never seen an episode of television scream for a Lost-style cut-to-black ending the way the Grimm finale did last night. Though there are many reasons to praise it, all I can think about now is Nick’s parents and how he's connected to the Grimms. The best part about the Nick/Juliette scene in the trailer was seeing that Nick genuinely likes being a Grimm. He was visibly excited to reveal his double life, a little smile on his lips as he showed off weapons and potions the same way a model-train-obsessed husband would show off a new track layout to his wife. The instant Nick began to smile was the instant he found peace with his Grimm calling -- and of course, the instant it all fell apart with Juliette.

But the main thing that will keep us itching for Season 2 is Nick’s mother. Just when Nick thought he had it figured out, the world once more went out of its way to prove him wrong. This has been a theme of the series since the very beginning: Nick began as cop about to propose to his girlfriend and live the white-picket-fence American dream. That all shattered when the death of Aunt Marie introduced him to the Wesen world. Now that Nick’s finally got his footing as a Grimm, his past has come back to uproot him once again.

Watching Nick struggle with the help of Monroe has always been the real hook of Grimm; now that Mamma Nick is in the picture I suspect we're in for a whole new world of trouble in Season 2, and I cannot wait.

So Many Questions!

1. Is Nick’s mother a Grimm? If so, what will Mamma Nick think about Nick’s friendship with a Blutbad and a Fuchsbau?

2. Why did Mamma Nick fake her own death and make Aunt Marie raise her son?

3. Is Nick’s dad alive, too?

4. Where can I buy Mamma Nick’s fabulous hoodie/jacket? Will the NBC store sell it to me?

5. Is Kimura’s Dragon’s Tongue organization Asia’s equivalent of the European Royal Families? Will we see either group next season?

6. Is this the last we’ve seen of Adalind?

7. What do you think the potion Adalind cat-scratched into Juliette will do to her?

8. Will Hank lose his mind or will Nick explain to his friend what’s going on?

9. What is Captain Renard? Why didn’t Kimura recognize him the way all the other Wesen have? Is it possible that Renard is human, and just somehow tied to the Royals?

10. And of course, the most burning question of all: Will Season 2 feature more Rosalee???

alot of people want to oust juliette from the whole story.. well i disagree. she's an element that balances nick's everyday fighting and hiding the secret "grimm" thing.. we see a more calm and gentle side of the grimm.. i also enjoy rosalee and monroe, they're chemistry although somewhat new, is off the roof, don't you think?

capt renard is from the start of the season a big mystery, and is still is as we approach the second season, one of the many plots, viewers are all itching to discover a little more about..

adalind is a bitch, that's for sure but i hope we still get to see her, coz she's this annoying little blonde witch we all want to see getting her ass kicked. she strongly deserves it :)
there are many grimms are given times, at different parts of the world.. and because the mama grimm is thought to be dead, probably there was sth grimmy that aunt marie passed her skill to nick.. the question of "what will Mamma Nick think about Nick's friendship with a Blutbad and a Fuchsbau?" is the one intrigued me most, as it would feel very awkward and sad for Nick to choose between a mom he longed for and friends that saved his life like zillion times.. and if she is working for the royals as someone below suggested, it would be even harder on him.. I am expecting a grimm on grimm fight between mom and son:( julliette will be cured at some time in the next season's first couple of episodes but how will Adelind be managed is another question.. and really, who the hell is Renard?
Juliette is the worst. She's boring, has absolutely no charm, there's exactly zero chemistry b/w her and Nick. And the worst part is that the reason is not in her character, it's all about actress! I think Grimm's showrunners should look at Smash's and cut out the most unlikable character. Now they have a good opportunity, when she definitely became obsessed.

Monroe and Rosalee are the best as always, and all three members of Team Grimm, including Nick, have absolutely wonderful chemistry!

Captain Renard is the second interesting character (after Team Grimm!), and I can't wait to learn, who he is!
Ditch Juliette, already. To me, she has never quite fit in with any of the other characters in this show, and it would be great if she would just leave town. Having said that, Monroe and

Rosalee are just precious together. Love, love, love this show and all the other members of the ensemble with the above exception. The ending was really very mysterious and can't

wait to see who this 'woman in black' really is...
It's an interesting theory, but unlike Buffy, I was always under the impression that there could be multiple active Grimms. If it follows a blood line, you've got to imagine that there would be multiple families around the world that have no idea about one another. If there can be only one, then how would the lore, weapons & potions get passed from one generation to the next?

I dunno, kinda always presumed that there were a handful at any given time...but the "rules" do need a little more clarification

As for the finale...awesome! That's it, just plain awesome
I have watched the pilot again and I figure out where the problem about the Grimm ability is. Monroe is the problem. He suggested that Nick received his Grimm ability from Aunt Marie because of her dying.

Two ways to get around this "rule" if writers need a Grimm mother for Nick :

1. Monroe was wrong because he didn't really know much about Grimms

2. The Grimm ability is not passed from family member to another as everyone. In fact, the Grimm ability is in Nick's body all the time but the ability needs a trigger. One of the possible trigger is the death of family member who also possess Grimm ability.
I can't help wondering if they're going to pull a "Buffy"-explanation for Mom being a Grimm as well - maybe she DID die in the attack, but was revived and voila; instant double-Grimm as her sister was "activated".

I believe it has been mentioned/speculated that Renard is part of some other Grimm bloodline, one which is kind of "royalty" rather than hunters of the Wesen world.

And I'm thinking that some sort of "anti-Grimm" might be a reasonable explanation for him being both kick-ass and seemingly human, with European connections and great ambitions.

Don't know what'll happen to Juliet - I'm thinking something bad, and I can't help but think that it might be a problem that she KNOWS WHERE THE TRAILER IS. Aunt Marie TOLD Nick not to tell ANYONE about the trailer, but now both Monroe and Juliet know about it, and I've been waiting all season for that to come back and bite him in the behind.

He's become very reliant on all the information and cool weaponry there, and its loss would probably make his life a LOT harder...
I never linked Grimm and Buffy but now that you made me hink about it there are so many similarities.....Maybe that's why I like Grimm so much!
Good thoughts about the trailer, and I would love to see the loss of the trailer so Nick needs to find all those magical portion from scratch.
My guesses,

Nicks mom won't be the warm reunion he had hoped for, and she will be involved with the Royal families. Juliette will be the new vessel for whatever witch spirit that left Adalind when nick "grimm french kissed her", but will recover and not remember anything, hence rendering the need to tell her about being a Grimm moot. Hank will recover but be more paranoid this next season and will begin to suspect something is up with Nick. Renard is playing the long game and not be revealed right away, but eventually with be a "the enemy of my enemy is my frienemy" kind of thing, when the big bads start showing up in PDX.
Great episode with leaving me with so many questions and not enough answers! I hope season two jumps in with both feet and reveals some juicy details about the Wesen World
YES to the last question!!! My favorite and the happiest news on television! Bree Turner as been "upgraded" as a regular castmember to the season of Grimm, so, that means Rosalee in every episode :) YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Is Juliette about to become a Wessen??! am kinda not sorry for that...(That for sayin NO to Nick!!--- I dont really have a concrete reason for not liking her)

I just wished it was Hank that the reveal was made to,coz dude was super scared!.He is a cop ,he needed to know more than Juliette.

Aunt Marie did say the Grimm thingy passes after a death in the family.. she dies he got the power, simply. The possibility there can only be one grimm in a family was never discussed- was it??. Possibly Mom is not a Grimm, but she sure is a Ninja (that was one Super badass hooded jacket!!).

Am a lil disappointed coz i still dont know WTF Captain Renard is...

For season 2, more of the Mother please, less of the girlfriend, unless she is now a diluted distance cousin of Majique..who i thought was super scarry with a moniker to match the personality.
Didn't his Aunt say he'd become a Grimm after she passed? If I'm remembering that correctly, then how can both she and her sister (Nick's Mama) both be Grimms at the same time, and now Nick and his mom are both Grimms? Well then why did Auntie have to pass before Nick become one? Don't try telling me she's NOT a Grimm - she's not young, yet she kicked the crud out of 2 young male cops, then ninja-parkoured off the balcony, so yea, she's a Grimm!

Yes, more Rosalee please! And I also loved Nick's mom's jacket LOL

For a while, I thought Juliette might suffer amnesia of the whole revealing, then Nick wouldn't ever try to tell her again based on her first reaction. But her eyes made me see I was far off. Will she be like a newly made vamp and have difficulties controlling herself around regular humans? Yikes!
Is just me, or i the fight between Nick and Kimura, Nick appear to "awake" something, and it was when he started beat the hell of him?

He NEVER fight like that. But somehow, in this one he was full "john reese". Is this just some convenient upgrade, or the Grimm have more than only knowledge and "vision beyond sight"?(the former woul explain why EVERY monster fear the grimm"s)
Nick also did this in a previous episode when fighting those two "hitmen" or uh, reapers, in a warehouse and killing em both. Grimms have a special ability to fight well when needed... or something.
Interesting finale. Unevenly paced, but then we should be used to these setbacks in terms of writing in Grimm already. It's a good show with some big flaws, but still enjoyable.

Sorry, Josie. But my new favorite Wesen is Magique the crazy witch cat. Wouldn't it be crazy enough if Magique, in a moment of rage, revealed a tiny human face??? Huh???

The episode had good and bad things.

The good:

So many. Nick fought Akira like a pro Grimm. He's really good at it now! He just couldn't beat his Grimmy mom. Beautiful Adalind returned; I really missed her. Rosalee was back too! Monroe was the best as always. As Nick described his clumsy way to reveal his Grimmness to Juliette, Monroe came up with the best quote: "So, are we jumping off the old airplane without a parachute, aren't we?"

Nick's half-baked attempt to convince Juliette he was a Grimm and all was hilarious. At the point when he said, "My ancestors were like hunters." I thought she should have replied, "Like in Supernatural?"

I loved the way the more he tried to explain, the more carried away he got, and the less convincing and crazier he sounded. At some point she was expecting him to say something like, "But Grimms only have a weakness, we can be beaten by evil brainwaves from Planet Zeta, and this is why I wear this tin-foil hat. Come, I made one for you!" Which proves telling the truth isn't as easy as it seems and comes with its consequences; no wonder Nick had been avoiding it.

There were several other cool moments I could mention.

The bad:

Nick's explanation took way too long, considering he was fighting against time to save Juliette's life. It also broke the pace of the episode until then, which was about catching a bad guy. Nick should've taken Juliette to Monroe sooner, and left the German names and sketchbooks for a later occasion.

Not enough Rosalee! Not enough Adalind! They just appeared in brief scenes and disappeared.

We learned nothing about the captain and the Royal families. Also, the ancient organization that sent the reapers must've been scared stiff of Nick sending them their Reapers' heads, because they simply disappeared from the story. That's the attitude of an ancient organization of sissies, not of badasses.

As someone said earlier, this seemed like a "Part 1 of 2" episode, not like a season finale with a cliffhanger opening of a new situation for season 2.

All in all, it's been a highly entertaining show, and I'm counting the days for it to come back!
"Wouldn't it be crazy enough if Magique, in a moment of rage, revealed a tiny human face??? Huh???"

ROFL!!
Pretty cool episode. Not as dramatic as I'd have hoped for a season finale, but it had its moments. I easily expected the old ass-kicking lady to be a Grimm but certainly didn't expect it to be Mama Nick.

Not sure how I feel about what happened with Juliette. On the one hand, I kind of wanted either her or Hank to find out about Nick. On the other hand, I'm kind of glad she's in the hospital. Hehe. Nick's attempt at telling Juliette about Grimm was very poorly done... I'd be shitting on the writers if I didn't expect that they did it on purpose to help Juliette think he's crazy.
what I want to know is how Nick is a Grimm if his mom is alive. They said in the beginning that it is inherited and that's why he got his "abilities" when Aunt Marie died. So why is he a grimm if his mom is, too??? She was fighting and jumping around like a grimm so I'm assuming she is one.
I thoungh the same thing. Or she isnt a Grimm, or there's a number of grimms active at same time.
Biologically, your parents don't have to die for you to "inherit" their genes. It's something that inside yourself once you are born and it's just matter of time before it surfaces. Am I missing something ? I don't remember Aunt Marie said that the Grimm ability was triggered by death of another Grimm.
That's one of the mythology things they really need to nail down, because clearly, Nick's Mom and Aunt were both Grimms at the same time - which at least makes is consistent with Nick and his Mom being Grimms at the same time - but that doesn't explain why Nick only came into his abilities as his Aunt was dying.

At the same time, he started getting his abilities BEFORE his Aunt actually died, so even in that initial set-up, there was a bit of an overlap (and if it hadn't been for the Wesen/Reapers who killed her, would she have died? I don't recall if she was actually sick when she came to see him, or if she just sensed that her time was near because her enemies were closing in?)

One other thing - the Wesen always talk about Nick as being "a" Grimm, not "the" Grimm (whereas with Buffy, for example, she was "the" Slayer, because there was only one at a time.) It may be that there are multiple Grimms in various parts of the world, since the Wesen clearly live all around the world. But, yeah, they need to explain that a lot better.
Why does everyone have to assume that Aunt's death has to do with Nick's ability ? My interpretation is that Nick's ability surface as he reaches certain age and that's just a coincidence that his Aunt dies nearly at the same time.
And why is the exiled "Prince" Renard weaker than a human? Or do the Grimms possess superhuman strength as well?
Kimura wasn't human - he's Wesen. I'm not entirely sure which kind, probably Blutbad from the looks of it, but definitely some kind of Wesen.
Nick has a supernatural element flowing through him and we saw that when he was training with Monroe. Aunt Marie was about to die and she whooped some serious ass. I'm gonna say less super strength, more super fighting skills.
well....Renard is obviously attacked with no preparation but Nick is ready for a fight so there is not much for comparison.
Yet another unsatisfying season finale (so far, only Person of Interest has delivered).

I get that there needs to be cliffhangers to keep people waiting for the next season. But this episode just felt like part 1 of 2. NOTHING got resolved. At all.

At least kill the freaking cat so we have one less loose end...
Id guess the potion turns Juliette into some kind of monster, at least that's my hope
Yes, one that gets "offed" and vanishes...
That was a great episode. This whole show has been a pleasant surprise. It started out slow and kind of wary, but it has really turned out to be one of my favorites of the year. It kind of pisses me off that it is on NBC. Because I don't want another reason to have to watch that craptastic network. Anywho, feelings about the network and what they have done to Community aside.

1. Of Course his mother is a Grimm. he comes from a long line, must pass from mother to son like Color Blindness. As for his friendship with Monroe and Rosalee (where has she been the last couple episodes. I missed her) Who knows. I think she will probably not be accepting. Parents and friends right? Also, she is pretty spry for what I would presume is a near mid 50 year old woman. So does this mean that Grimm's have some type of power. Power that Nick is just starting to tap into. That was a pretty bad ass fight. Not as good as with the Reapers, but still.

2. Probably could have been dangerous. Maybe she is a more badass Grimm that couldn't figure out how to raise a child. Maybe she was the rebel.

3. I am thinking no. Maybe it is only passed from Mother to Son. Like Color Blindness. But he could be alive. Which would add to stories later.

4. H&M? no idea.

5. I thought it was a Viking symbol? Seems odd.

6. I had thought we had already seen the last of her. So maybe not.

7. I am not sure. But I do have some thoughts and wishes. Thought one, it is a potion that turns Juliette into a hexenbeast. Wish one, Juliette is pissed that Nick didn't tell her and that resulted in her becoming a hexenbeast, and she becomes on of Nick's main adversaries, that is both tries to cure, tries not to kill, tries not to get killed by her. How awesome would that be? Thought two, it erased her memory. Nick tries to help fix it. Thought three, Feline AIDS.

8. I think Hank will lose his mind a little bit. (and that wasn't that big of a shot gun.) He will reconcile it a little bit. Nick will tell him about the goings on. Then he won't tell him about Monroe. He then sees monroe full on Blutbad again, and Hank will try to kill monroe. Nick will have to stop him.

9. It still hasn't been established that he is a wesen. He might be human like Nick but just uses his power to see the Wesen to exploit and rule over them. And maybe Kimura is from another area. From what we can understand from the story, is that Renard comes from from Europe. But Wesen can't be geographically based. So they have to come from everywhere. So he might come from an area that doesn't know or recognize the royal family.

10. I think so, didn't she get picked up as a permanent character?

Also, that was the worst (in the manner it was done) superhero reveal ever. Fail. It was hilarious mind you. But he didn't do a good job on that.

Great review Josie. Thanks.
How old are Grimm's writers? Because the scene where Nick's in the trailer showing all this bulls*** to his girlfriend reminds me too much of the scene where 10-year old Elliott is explaining all the items in his room to ET. "A-and, this is a shark! It eats jujubes! Yeah, an', this is Bobofet! Oh! And look at this!!" I feel sorry for the actors.
I think that was really done to recap the story for the audience.
Recap the story ... there was no story recapped. It was just an encyclopedia of grimm-osaurs. I've seen every episode & have been a fan since day one - and that was a wasted scene better left for the special features on bluray. Harry Potter doesn't fill scenes with critter etymology. Why not? Because it's not story. It's like the pink slime of writers. "I've done all this research, I'll just shove it into this bridge scene that I'm too lazy to actually write."
agree, but this pisses the long-time fans and I don't see that it would be effective to attract new audience. Nice try but fail.
1. We know that Nick's mom is a Grimm because Nick himself says in the episode that he's a Grimm on his mother's side. I think the real question is to whether she could be a witch. It also seems as if the Wesen could be people who have been cursed by witches. And I think it's pretty obvious that his mother won't like Nick's friendships.

2. His mother faked her own death obviously to protect Nick.

3. But I don't think his dad is alive, otherwise we'd likely have seen the two together.

5. If you want to know the significance of the dragon tongues read Grimm's The Twin Brothers. Obviously the name is based upon that story. It would also suggest the relationship between the royals and the dragon tongues. In fact much of this show seems to tie into that story.

6. Likely not.

7. It will either turn her into a Wesen or a witch. That could mean that next season we could have a beauty and the beast story, one that has possibly been in the works for some time. It would seem that the CW might have ripped off it's idea from the second season of Grimm.

8. I think Hank will suspect and start his own private investigation but Nick won't tell him.

9. It's likely that the royals are humans who, with the help of the witches, use the Wesen.

10. I don't know. What is the status on the actress's contract? You should know that.
#7 - Beauty and the Beast, with Juliette as the (infected) Beast and Nick as... Beauty... (After all he's a pretty boy.) That would be a cool twist!
I agree with you on #8. I doubt Hank will get told what's going on because if Nick told Hank about the Grimm thing, Hank will obviously join the Team Grimm which is already big enough imo (with 3 permanent members and occasionally extra help from other forces)
I really like this show....It's not amazing but it's visually challenging, the characters are believable, David Giuntoli is really good and sometimes the events are unexpected. It's perfect to spend an hour not thinking...I really love Monroe and Rosalee and I don't really care if they progress the while mitology really fast. I can enjoy the ride. I prefer a constant pace like this where you have little information piece by piece then a pace like OUAT where for weeks doesn't happen a thing and then in one episode happens too much!
Yeah - I'd like to see them solidify the mythology a bit more, just so we can understand the basic "rules" of the Grimm universe, but that doesn't mean they need to suddenly shove a whole bunch of mythology-story development at us. Now that Nick's Mom is around, she can fill him in on more of what being a Grimm is and how the Wesen world works, and we can learn along with him, while still moving the overall story at a reasonable pace. It's just a matter of dropping the info into the dialogue in a conversational enough manner that it doesn't end up being a big exposition block.
let me be crazy. How about Nick s dad always alive and not so far from him in his everyday life.

I mean his mom was going straight to Cpt appartment. WHAT IF the interest from Cpt for Nick would be more than a simple interest as a Royal for a Grimm but more like a Father for his Son.

Ok sounds plain crazy but could be easily a twist in the story such as in Hawaii the first time I heard Shell burn name in the air i bet on his mother
I thought about that, but the they talk about when his parents were murdered, indicating they both left his life at the same time. Since he's able to recognize his mother with just a few words from her, I think he would have recognized the Capt as his father by now - though perhaps they could do something like Renard and his Mom had been lovers (star-crossed lovers, even? Maybe Grimms and Royals aren't supposed to mix, so they had to hide their love - and the subsequent child) and after she got pregnant, they had to split up, and Mom found a man who loved her and was willing to raise her child as his own? Or, less dramatically (and less soapy) maybe he's Nick's paternal uncle or something like that?
Well, that is an interesting idea, but the age difference (or lack of) could be a problem ;).
hum Not bad as a vessen maybe doesn t age or at will
At this time I sincerely doubt Renard is a Wesen :)
I loved this season finale!. It wasn't until she attacked Kimura I realized she must be Nick's mom! Great show, can't wait for season two!

1. Yes, I think Nick's mother is a Grimm. They said he is a Grimm on his mother's side and did you see her moves? I can't wait to see Nick flipping over rails and landing on cars. It's seems very likely she won't like his friendships. I wonder if she works for one of the Royal families?

2. No idea. Hopefully that gets explained in the season two premier.

3. I don't think so. He wasn't a Grimm.

4. I want one too! And her boots, loved her boots.

5. An international Royal family feud? Like the World War three for wesen?

6. Nope, that crazy lady will be back! I bet she somehow gains back her powers.

7. Not sure, I just hope it doesn't turn her tongue creepy yellow like the poor cat's.

8. I bet Hank finds out within the first half of the season. I felt so bad for him!

9. He is the biggest enigma on the show. I think I might need to do a season rewatch and look for any specific clues I might have missed.

10. YES!!!! I'm 90 percent sure Bree Turner has been promoted to series regular for season two. Yes, I know my only source at the moment is wikipedia, but it makes sense and I'm desperately hoping it's true. Monrosalee forever!!!!!!
7-The opening lines were a citation from sleeping Beauty or kinda like it so I bet Julliet is in for a long sleep.

1 and 2- The question is if the powers of Grimm are inherited at death how did auntie became a Grimm. Nick Ok since Auntie is dead, so I guess we have to be carefull about Nick's mom or is she?
Maybe the power thing was inheritated the way it was done in Buffy several times. When the heart stopped, no matter how long, the next slayer was chosen. Nick's mother was certainly in that car accident and she has the scars in her face, maybe she was dead for a short time or near death (that was enough for Nick to inherit the curse). I also like the idea it's an age thing.
I think that there is a certain amount of grimms in the world, some sort of cosmic balance. So when one falls, another grimm gets his or her abilities. There may be an overlap which is why the aunt was near death that Nick began to get his abilities or she knew another grimm died and that Nick was next in line.
I believe the powers surface when a Grimm reaches certain age, simplest and best answer
We really don't need a series called Grimm:The Monroe Spin-off ? I feel we need to have one.
Great episode but there was one thing that didn't really make sense.

The symbol on Kimuras head was a viking symbol which basically makes it norse.

Why would an asian wesen who doesn't even recognize a european royal use a norse symbol and belief? Why not some kind of asian symbol?
Wow, that's a whole lot of questions! But first a little bit of criticism: I like the show as something to watch on Saturday when nothing else is on. It's harmless fun, but not brilliant TV. The main problem is the pacing. In my mind I often compare Grimm with Fringe. Both are about weird events, both have an overarching plot and one-time cases for each episode. Fringe manages to seamlessly weave the two latter ones together. The plot of each episode connects with the overarching plot and every week a bit of time is spent moving the story forward. The problem with Grimm is that most of the time has been wasted solving weekly cases and Nick dealing with being a Grimm, and so little time has been left on the big picture.

Now 22 episodes later, we have heard very little about Renard, the Royals and Grimms around the world. We have seen very little of Juliette and her quest for answers, and the same goes for Hank. That they have come in contact with Wesen life only during the last two episodes feels sudden. Partially the slow pace can be understood, because Nick has kept his Grimmness a secret. That means the plot has had to focus on his separate lives, which leaves little time to explore each and every part of the story; Nick and Hank as cops, the weekly case, Nick and Juliette, Nick and Monroe, Renard's business etc. But that doesn't change the fact that the pace has been slow. Many things which are central to the story have only been scratched on the surface despite a whole season has gone by. After Fringe had been on air one season, it had covered much more ground. I hope that during the second season Nick's Grimm identity will be revealed to more people, so that they could be tied into his story too. It would be great to see Juliette as a kick-ass side kick to Nick.

1. She is obviously a Grimm. Question is, how does this transfer of Grimm powers work? Nick got his when his aunt died. But did his Aunt know that his mother was alive? If she thought she was dead, then Nick should have had his Grimm powers activated earlier, as a result of his mother dying, right?

2. Probably for safety. That's the standard answer: "I did it for your own good. There are bad people after me."

3. Might be, yes. I think both options, dead or alive, work well for the story. Dead, then at least Nick has his momma back, and his dad is some kind of hero who died in battle. Alive, and the family is back together to fight as a team and give Nick directions.

4. It was an awesome jacket. Made her pretty hot. By the way, I just discovered that the actress who plays Nick's mom is an Oscar nominated actress!

5. I don't think they are equivalents. I think Dragon's Tongue is more like a Wesen Yakuza: Hit-men and muscle for hire. The Royals are families that have some kind of control over Wesen.

6. Hopefully not, probably not. Her story hasn't been told yet. We still need to know what she is trying to do, and what her fate is. Will Nick kill her, or will she maybe turn good and join Nick?

7. I hope it's not just something simple like turning her into a monster as a way for Adalind to get back at Nick. But it looks to be that way. I hope it would be something more sinister, for example that Juliette appears normal, but starts doing evil things on her own. Then it would take time for Nick to discover it, he might even have to fight her. And when she eventually would get rid of the Wesen part of her, she would have to live with what she's done. That would make the show a little bit darker. But now it looks like Rosalee will discover a cure, and since Nick's mom is in town, she'll probably help too.

8. I think there's a breaking point. When Hank starts losing it completely, Nick has to reveal what's happening. Or then they give him a potion that makes him forget what he saw.

9. I've never thought that the Royals are Wesen, they are human that have control over Wesen for some reason. Maybe they have abilities that can't be seen on the surface, for example longevity, but no Wesen appearance. A better questions is why Renard is working as a cop in the US when he could probably have a powerful position in Europe. Has he been kicked out of his family for being too soft? He seems like he wants friendly solutions, and he has protected Nick before. Or did he try to escape his previous life?

10. Hopefully. Though I'm wondering why she has so far been a "special guest star" when everyone else have been just "guest stars".
After 2 days of Grimm marathon to catch up the entire season 1, I agree with most of the criticism you made here, especially the comparison you made with Fringe.

The pace is slow, but I think it's also one of the few things that help me get over season 1 (the first thing is Monroe of course, so I'm not gonna talk about him). I believe that the writers are keeping the characters from reaching every aspect of Nick's life. I mean, Hank is Nick's daytime partner and Monroe is Nick's partner at night, while Juliette is for the private life of Nick.

As far as we have seen, the interaction of Hank, Monroe and Juliette are kept in minimum. Most of time they are talking to Nick. This is what makes the pacing so slow but I also finds it interesting to see things from a pseudo-first-person angle. More than half of time we are following Nick. We learns about his life being a cop and a Grimm, as well as a normal man who wants to have a family, and we see most of these from the perspective of Nick.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing for TV show like Grimm but I've to admit that I love seeing people having their unique roles in the story. Hank can't help when it comes to monsters while Juliette can't help to deal with cops' duties and....um.....well....I do want Monroe to have a bigger role in Nick's private life though.

By the way, the Grimm writers really need to take some classes from the Fringe Writing Crew in this summer, if they want to keep their jobs.
More +
That was a very cool hooded jacket, and I LOVED seeing someone like Mary Elizabeth Mastroantonio (sp?) in the role. I've seen her on "Without a Trace" and "Law & Order: CI" so I don't really associate her with stuff that's the kind of campy fun that Grimm can be, which actually makes her more effective for me.

What really cracked me up in the last scene is how as she was trying to get Nick to calm down before he attacked her while still on the adrenaline rush from fighting Kimura, first she says his name, and when that doesn't immediately stop him, she says "Nicky! It's me!" in the most PERFECT motherly-scolding voice, and it stopped Nick dead in his tracks. Who wouldn't respond instinctively to their mother scolding them? That was just great.

YOUR QUESTIONS:

1. Is Nick's mother a Grimm? If so, what will Mamma Nick think about Nick's friendship with a Blutbad and a Fuchsbau?

Yes, she's a Grimm - and she may have some trouble with the friendship at first, but I think once she sees that (a) Monroe and Rosalee are both pretty harmless (unless necessary) and (b) truly care about and help look out for her son she'll come around.

2. Why did Mamma Nick fake her own death and make Aunt Marie raise her son?

The big bads were probably getting too close to the coins, so Mama and Daddy took off with the coins, feeling Auntie Marie could do more good raising Nick and keeping him safe while they either tried to find the coins or tried to hide them.

3. Is Nick's dad alive, too?

I gotta agree with Res_Dog on this one - yeah, he's alive and he's a bad guy.

4. Where can I buy Mamma Nick's fabulous hoodie/jacket? Will the NBC store sell it to me?

Maybe if you ask nicely they can get it into Saks, Macy's or H&M immediately after the show is finished :D

5. Is Kimura's Dragon's Tongue organization Asia's equivalent of the European Royal Families? Will we see either group next season?

I think we'll have to see both next season. Maybe not a whole lot of both of them - focus on one first then the other more during the 3rd season, but I think we'll need at least a few touches on each of them just to keep them in our minds as threats out there.

6. Is this the last we've seen of Adalind?

I doubt it - I'm sure she'll have to pay in one way or another for whatever she's done to Juliette

I'm thinking it may turn her into some kind of Wesen. Maybe a Hexenbeist, though if the potion/scratch thingy could turn someone into one, I'd think Adalind would have used it on herself.

8. Will Hank lose his mind or will Nick explain to his friend what's going on?

I've read a teaser that perhaps not everyone will be back next season, and if that's the case, I'm pretty sure it'll be Hank that's the casualty. He just doesn't really seem to have a place on this show. I'm not sure if its that the writing is dull or the actor just doesn't click, but I find Wu much more memorable and relateable as a character than I do Hank, and Wu is really supposed to be on the 3rd tier.

9. What is Captain Renard? Why didn't Kimura recognize him the way all the other Wesen have? Is it possible that Renard is human, and just somehow tied to the Royals?

Renard is a COMPLETE mystery to me - which is great - but I AM getting very curious!

Yep, and I think that'll be great!
i'm fairly certain the words "i am not a wesen" came out of the captains mouth at some point.
"Sorry Edgar, I have a new favorite Wesen hit man in town and his name is Snowflake Viking Tattoo!" Come on, that's so american of you. Kimura was a generic asian bad guy who knows martial arts - a very boring charakter with no depth. The sophisticated german hitman and the englishman (Woolsey I think) were far more interesting (which propably is the reason why they were killed off so fast).

Now to your questions:

I'm pretty sure she is. And she propably wont care that he is friends with Wesen. I have a feeling that she has her own agenda and has come to terms with the world she lives in (as opposed to being a simple monster hunter who thinks all Wesen are evil) - it wouldn't suprise me if she had forged alliances of her own with some Wesen, maybe with the Lufer-resistance-group.

2. Why did Mamma Nick fake her own death and make Aunt Marie raise her son?

To protect him. Aunt Marie was a Grimms' Grimm. She knew all about fighting Wesen so she could Nick teach how to survive but wouldnt drag him into whatever his Mother was doing.

3. Is Nick's dad alive, too?

Yep, and he's a bad guy.

Well, we've seen that the Verrat and the families were heavily involved with the military in WW2 and that the Dragons Tongue were originally part of the japanese army. Given the fact that Germany and Japan were allies there is propably (damn, this -propably- the 1000st time I use the word 'propably' in this post) a connection. Oh, and the viking tattoo suggests that he was stationed in germany or at least fought alongside german soldiers for a while.

6. Is this the last we've seen of Adalind?

Nah, she'll die at the beginning of next season. I'm guessing Juliette or Nicks mom will kill her.

Make her into some kind of zombie.

8. Will Hank lose his mind or will Nick explain to his friend what's going on?

I wouldn't be surprised if Hank were to shoot one of the good guys in the next episode, my money's on Munroe (although he obviously wont die). Then Nick will explain and then we will see if Hank is able to get his sh*t together.

Kimura had no idea who Renard war, he didn't recognize him on the photos and still didn't have a clue when he kidnapped him. If he did I'm pretty sure he would've killed the captain before leaving the appartement to prevent him from coming after him (which is propably - there it is again - going to happen at the start of next season). And of course Renard is a Wesen (I think we even saw him change once, although it was dark so you couldn't see what he was, not sure though), but he is always very calm and in control (remember, he was able to hide his true self from Nick the whole season. And as we know from all the "Id please" - "*changes into wesen form*" scenes Wesen can only recognize each other when they show their Wesen-nature (well, and sometimes by sniffing, but the ninjaassassinsamuraiboringguy obviously didn't have that good of a nose), so when he realized that Kimura didn't know who he was he decided to hide who he was.

It has already been confirmed that she'll be a regular next season. Which is actually pretty good news because a lot of show have extremly annoying female charakters which the fans are supposed to like but all everyone wants to do is to strangle them - Rosalind is not one of those charakters. She actually adds a lot of value to the show and gives the Munroe-storyline more depth.
Interesting assessment!

I thought Nick was the last Grimm in his line or something which is why he started seeing Wesen once his Aunt was dying. Now tossing in his mom is throwing me off. I don't necessarily mind it though since she's badazz but for some reason the reveal was anti-climatic for me. As soon as she took her hood off in front of Nick I just said it with him, "Mom?" Saw the one coming a mile away.

For some reason, I thought Juliette's scratch would somehow transfer the hexenbeast into her. Ever since I saw it leave Adalind's body, I figured that creature was non-corporeal and just needed a body through some kind of spell. We'll see. That was one of the more interesting parts of the ep.

Unfortunately, I don't think he'll tell Hank right away because of what's going on with Juliette. I was hoping he would get the confirmation before Juliette but ah well. Usually once you make the reveal to one major character, they keep the other one in the dark at least for a much longer time before letting them in on the secret.
Rosalee will be main cast, which is good since her and Monroe are the only reasons to watch this drivel.

I'm done with the show. I've given it far longer than I should have and it just continues to move at a snails pace and be terrible.
So why on earth do you watch all the time? You seem to have watched every single episode, and each time you come to the board and complain how bad it is. Personally, I think hate watching only takes me so far, and I soon give up and find better things to do. But anyway, hope to see your negative comments on season 2 as well.
Because Monroe is good Rosalee is good, and that's all. The show could be good, but simply chooses not to be. I keep hoping it will surprise me and get better.

It doesn't.

Because it has never gotten better my hope is that pointing out the ways in which this is bad that maybe, just maybe, someone who's watching will realize "hey, he's right that is really dumb" and it will lower their enjoyment just a bit. That it will bug them enough that eventually they'll stop watching. Open up a slot in the schedule for a good show, maybe next time (though I'm not holding my breath) NBC will choose to renew a good show (like awake) as apposed to shows that are awful like this.
Awake is boring, glad to see it's gone. Here's to 15 seasons of Grimm!
now you're just being silly.
Oh, well so I'd better make a positive comment to counter this negativity and make sure they renew it for season 3!

By the way, I miss Awake too, though I don't think the departure of Grimm would've helped Awake in any way. different shows, different audiences and expectations.
Yeah, I've officially given up on the show, so have at it.

As far as Awake goes...I suppose we'll never know. Usually when I read about networks making decisions it's portrayed as they have X amount of spots for returning shows because they have Y number of pilots they're excited about. So cancelling Grimm very well could have opened a slot for something like Awake. *shrug*

Personally I think Awake would have done better in, say, Grimm's slot.
I figure Kimura didn't recognize Renard for the reason you hint at. The Dragon's Tongue is a Japanese/Asian organization, and Renard is Seven Royals/European. The European wesen might fear Renard, but the Japanese ones probably know very little of him. Which suggests a whole branch of monsters, the Japanese equivalent of the wesen. Portland being a Pacific Rim town, you'd think they'd actually see more Japanese creatures (and you kinda wonder why all the Germanic wesen seem to end up there). So maybe a hint of what we'll see in Season 2. Which will supposedly be in late summer/August, rather than September/October.