Yes yes YES! There they are! There are my previously promised, flesh-eating, not-quite-dead-but-close-enough zombie pretties! Hello! Good to see you! Good to see a lot of the things that were rampant in Grimm's Season 2 finale—Rosalee rolling her eyes at Juliette being a dumb, Juliette becoming less of a dumb, Rosalee and Monroe finally getting a chance to indulge in a little Wesen sexin', and Prince Eric and the Baron being REAL evil about things.
"Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" felt like a natural extension of last week's snoozer of an episode, but with a wee bit more pulse. Just a wee bit, because for as much of an improvement as Grimm's finale was over "The Waking Dead," there was still a lot of set-up for next season, especially over in Austria with Frau Pech, Adalind, and, ever-so-briefly, Frau Pechalind. R.I.P., Crazy Lady, but bring on the re-powered Adalind!
With Eric's approval, Baron Samedi unleashed his hordes of zombies on Portlandia to create what Wu so quaintly referred to as a "crime wave" because "zombie apocalypse" tends to only be taken seriously in very specific circles and Samedi's pawns did tend to act more like a mob of PCP-smokers with some serious munchies than like a unified front of shuffling undead. Since the Wesen-approved Grimm zombies aren't actually technically undead anyway, it works—and with that in mind, should we be concerned about Wu getting bitten or not?
Regardless of whether Wu is a ticking timebomb of terror, Portland is in luck because Rosalee managed to throw together a nifty zombie cure. Of course, it's a big pain in the ass to administer to just one zombie, let alone an entire storage container's worth, and it's also only effective on subjects in the final stage of zombieism, so it's not even like the gang can be proactive about it. Have fun with that! Miiiiight want to order a few more of those torture devices/giant freaking three-pronged hypodermic needles before the fight picks up again in the fall.
When Grimm returns for Season 2, it will involve, if our cliffhanger is to be trusted, an international rescue mission. Basically, the zombies'/Prince's surprise visit and Samedi's shenanigans were a large, elaborate trap intended to snag Nick and hand his key over to the Royals. Nick had the foresight to stash the key in the spice shop, but didn't realize soon enough that when you stumble across a coffin in a storage container and a passport with your photo but so not your name, you should probably GTFO. I even yelled at him that it was a trap and everything. Bon voyage, Nickypoo!
So, halfway-zombified Nick is in a box on his way (I'm assuming) back to Europe, Juliette picked the worst possible time to sign up for Grimm Sidekick Boot Camp, and Portland is still overrun with flesh-eaters. Good game, Grimm. Oh, and that little quip beneath the obligatory "To be continued?" I like your sass. I did know that it was coming—or rather, I strongly assumed that it was—but I like that you acknowledged the moderate predictability you sometimes suffer from. Admitting you have problem is the first step to recovery.
Look at it this way, I pegged Hank for a goner because the one on crutches is always a goner, and I was genuinely surprised that he emerged from this season finale unscathed. You got me.
Grimm also got me planning to jump back into this clustertruck of awesome when the show returns in the fall. Here is my humble wishlist for Season 3. Sound off with yours in the comments!
– More not-useless Juliette. The characters themselves even pointed out how handy her veterinarian skills would be.
– The return of BAMF Adalind. If there been one big disappointment this season, it's that we still haven't officially gotten her back. Crossing my fingers and toes that it's earlier in Season 3 rather than later.
– More information about the Royals would be welcome. More Eric too. His twisted fondness for that time his mom tried to kill Renard's mom was precious in a little baby psychopath kind of way.
– Let's bring Wu into the Wesen/Grimm Super Happy Fun Time Club! Though it's important to note that I'm not ride-or-die on this one. I won't write any strongly worded letters if Wu isn't introduced to Wesen, I just think the man's earned his place at the big kid table.
– As always, more Monroe and Rosalee. Forever and ever amen.
What are your Season 3 hopes and dreams? What did you think of the Season 2 finale?
– "Oh c'mon, you knew this was coming." Still making me giggle. I like your style, Grimm.
– How do we feel about Nick and Juliette shacking up again? I bet Monroe is counting the days... or would be, if he wasn't busy battling the mindless hordes.
– Ta-ta, lovelies! See you in fall! Same Bat— okay, actually Grimm is returning to Fridays. But definitely be the same Bat-Channel.