Grimm: The Big Foot's Out of the Bag

Grimm S01E21: "Big Feet"

In last night’s “Big Feet,” Grimm made up for “Happily Ever Aftermath’s” lackluster showing, giving us a Monroe-driven episode that deepened the show's mythology and furthered its character development. It also gave us a woman shrieking, “Big Foot killed them!” so all my benchmarks for great TV were hit.

A group of cryptozologists was in the Portland woods chasing a Big Foot report; the scene was shot Blair Witch-style, and the cryptos quickly suffered the same fate as that camera crew, getting murdered by something blurry off camera.

Simultaneously, Juliette the Vet (you forgot that was her job, didn’t you?) was called in to examine a horse that had been attacked by something that walked like a man but bit holes in horse necks like a...thing that bites holes in horse necks. Juliette followed the footprints to the dismembered remains of the cryptos and the Portland PD show up to find one survivor raving, “It was Big Foot!”

Meanwhile, the murderous Big Foot showed up at Monroe’s house. His name was Larry. Monroe knows all the best people.

A conflicted Nick visited Monroe and learned that Larry the Big Foot couldn't revert to looking human, and that the process of changing is officially called Volga. While Grimms can see Wesen when they momentarily lose control, any old human can see a Wesen when the Wesen wants them to, or when they are fully transformed. Grimm then grossed us out by reminding us that Monroe “marks his territory” (ew), and Larry died while pulling a bloody tube from the back of his neck (EW).

But before I go on, let’s talk about Monroe.

Each week I force various friends to sit down and watch this show with me, and each week they have the same exact reaction: Monroe is the best. Everybody loves the MonRosalee pairing. He’s the Blutbad you want to share a beer with, the guy in your corner when the chips are down. He’ll do anything for a friend—put on someone else's shirt to lead search dogs away, stand up to the Reapers, defend the good nature of a pal even after that pal has done the unspeakable. He’s a complicated man with a past he’s not proud of, arguing for free will and choice even though it seems Wesen have a limited supply of both. Nick may be the protagonist, but Monroe is the beating heart of Grimm, and this episode acknowledged it in spades.

Monroe and Nick’s search for answers took them to Larry’s Wesen therapist, Constantine Brinkerhoff, who antagonized Nick and pretty much held up a sign that said, “It was me! I did it!” More deaths in the Portland woods turned up another one of Brinkerhoff’s patients; then a third committed suicide. It turned out that the tube found in the back of all three was a drug delivery system—an attempt at Wesen Xanax, a way to suppress violent urges.

Monroe confronted Brinkerhoff, who had been using the drug on himself. Brinkerhoff ran and Hank and Nick took him down in a theater, but not before Hank totally saw him transform from Big Foot to human! Nick pretended that he didn't see, but back home he was confronted with the same problem: Juliette the Vet had been doing some DNA sampling of the creature that attacked the horse and the results came up Big Foot.

She’s ready to believe—will Nick take the plunge and tell her the truth?

Almost every one of Grimm's seasonal arcs was touched on in “Big Feet,” from the mysterious key map to Nick’s double life being revealed. There were some nice visual touches (loved Monroe reading The Rise And Fall Of The Roman Empire with the wolf cover), and the episode finally moved the Hank, Juliette, and Nick plots forward. We know from the next-episode previews the finale will bring the truth to light for Juliette at least, and after this week's fantastic installment next Friday can’t come fast enough!

QUESTIONS:

1. What is going to happen with Hank? Will Nick let Hank in on the secret, or just let his best friend think he’s gone nuts?

2. Will Juliette and Nick’s relationship survive the truth?

3. Where's the line between Volga-ing so a human can see it and Volga-ing so only a Grimm can see it?

4. If there’s a Big Foot Wesen, is there a Chupacabra? Are urban legends all Wesen?

5. Can anyone from Portland confirm or deny that the woods are as insanely dangerous as they seem on the show? We’ve had kidnappers, drug dealers, murderers, and a slew of homeless people in the woods every other episode. Does shady business actually go down there?

6. If some Wesen are so barely able to control themselves, why do they still try to live in human society? Monroe’s talks about his urges make it sound like an addiction and a horrible way to live your life. If you were in his shoes, would you try to fit in with the odds are so clearly stacked against you?

7. What do you think triggered Monroe’s change from bad boy Blutbad to veggie-munching, clock-loving gentlewolf?

#5 I live in the Portland Metro Area and yes there are forests like you see on the show all over the place here. Lots of the filming is done in Forest Park, which is one of the largest parks within city limits in the United States. The forests can be very thick, but aren't particularly dangerous in real life, except possibly for possibly falling down one of the steep hills. Or I suppose one could get hypothermia during the winter if they were very careless. You might occasionally run into a homeless person or two, or more likely, a deer, raccoon or opossum. There actually are lions, elephants monkeys and snakes in the forest if you happen to climb the wrong fence and end up in the Oregon Zoo, ha! We like our forests here and there are miles of hiking/running trails both in and outside city limits.

Incidentally, I randomly ran across Monroe's house this afternoon! I did a double take, and snapped a picture, then compared my picture with a shot of his house, and it's definitely the right house :) They apparently "planted" some fake trees in front of the house and added the mailbox; those were nowhere to be seen today.

It's a great show, and its fun to hear the characters talking about actual places around the city and recognizing shots of them at those locations.
About question 5, I've just been wondering that. It's interesting that shows like Grimm or Being Human present dense forests right near the city for a Wesen to hide, werewolf to turn, etc. Monroe's house is even by a forest. And the killer blutbad from the pilot actually lived in the forest, right? Is there any basis in reality for that?

I live in a very urbanized area in Brazil and would be in serious trouble if I had to find a forest conveniently at hand. I'd have to travel many, many miles to get to something like one. Or I'd have to move to a much smaller town.
You are so right about Monroe, he is so the heart of Grimm. I want to talk about questions 1 and 7. On 1 I think how Juliette reacts to the truth will have a big influence on whether he tells Hank. Also you think Hank is Nick's best friend, really? I don't see it they never hang out outside of work and never discuss there personal lives. On question 7 I'm thinking he probably crossed some line of violence that shocked him straight.
Cool episode. I feel really bad for Hank. He just sees something that he thought impossible and is on the verge of going insane, and Nick is right beside him denying it all. I really thought it'd be a nice time for Nick to tell Hank, but I guess not. I assume Hank'll find out at some point in the series, and I guess this episode gives him a reason to maybe hate Nick when he does.

2. I'm sure the relationship will survive the truth. Juliette will be all "Oh, uh... okay." and move on.

7. I assume they'll have an episode on this eventually. Maybe he tried to have a human friend but accidentally ate him (don't you just hate it when that happens?). Then he probably cried and put himself into his own rehab or something.
I read somewhere that Oregon is a popular destination for a great number of serial killers, with the combination of dreary weather (bad for those with seasonal depressive disorder) and tons of forestland (good for hiding bodies)
First of, I actually really like this show. It's (relatively) light, not very challenging and plays on the monster-underneath-your-bed nightmares even us grown-ups still get on occasion when it's a dark, dark night and the trees outside the window are creating creepy shadows.

BUT

I am bilingual, I speak German and English. And after almost a whole season I can't keep it in any longer: GET YOURSELVES A FREAKING DICTIONARY!!!! It is beyond obvious to me the are only using google.translate. It seriously undermines the attempt to give the whole Grimm backstory a little more reality. Cause, if all the Wesen (W btw is spoken like a V), had German ancestors, they might have actually heard it said out loud before. In this last episode it actually took Monroe's description for me to figure out he meant the word WOGE, which you interpreted as Volga -- totally understandable btw, I barely even got it, and I've been speaking the language for 19 years.

So, if you're still reading this little rant of mine, thanks for bearing with me. And if there's a remote chance you'll ever get to talk to somebody on the show -- have the mercy and hand them a dictionary, they are making my ears bleed...
The language thing has been noted and commented on for the past few weeks; some are interested, others (presumably those without second languages) have found the issue boring. Unfortunately, many US shows make little effort to get non-American stuff right. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Subtitles are a great help, I've found. They've got Woge right.
7. What do you think triggered Monroe's change from bad boy Blutbad to veggie-munching, clock-loving gentlewolf?

No idea, but hope the show will answer this exact question.
I thought that was quite a good episode. I'm so glad they gave Juliette something to do besides looking oblivious and creepy. She was actually quite beautiful and interesting this time. I don't know why Nick doesn't tell Juliette and Hank the truth already. I think it's even more dangerous if they don't know the truth, because this way they'll be stumbling in the dark into something dangerous without having a clue of what's going on. It would be better if they knew so they could either avoid the danger, or face it at their own risk.

This episode was all about controlling one's urges. And I think this finally puts to rest all the doubts as to why some Wesen can be seen as such and others can't. it's all about control. Lucinda, in the previous episode, was a psychopath, and so detached from things that she didn't bother, and never showed her true self, never yielded to her urges. Adalind, on the other hand, was an evil hexenbiest full of evil thoughts, one of the worst of all creatures, so she easily showed her Wesen face to Nick.

And of course Monroe is the best. He's certainly a complex character, and hopefully there'll be many more layers of his existence to explore in future episodes.
From what I remember, Nick didn't tell Juliette or Hank because Monroe told him that many people can't handle that kind of thing and it ends up driving them insane ( which, judging by Hanks expressions during the show, dosen't seem too unlikely)
Good point. Let's just find out what drives Hank insane first: knowing the truth or wondering wtf just happened.
I felt so stupid when I realized the doctor was the bad guy and didn't immediately assume it was. I thought since he was talking to Nick about not being able to tell anyone about his double life, he could become a sort of conduit or something for Nick, but no.

Also, I don't see Nick and Juliette's relationship being able to survive after he reveals his Grimm nature to her, and that will be part of the second season, which is Nick working to get her back. And Hank has got to find out sooner or later. He's seen Monroe multiple times and is suspicious of him since he keeps popping up and he had seen one of them! I love this show, thankfully this didn't get the axe like Awake.
I so agree! Monroe is the best and has been since the pilot episode...

My guess is that Nick will tell Juliette but will refuse to tell Hank (a policeman after all) and this will lead to Juliette to break up with Nick - temporarily or not.
6. Take a look at human society and give me a viable option to hiding out that does not include suicide.

And yes, I also think Monroe is a major asset on the show and I definitly prefer Rosalee to Juliette.
Much better episode than the previous one!

Nick is getting himself boxed into a tight spot where he will have to come clean on some things. [which will be interesting].
Monroe is the only reason the show is watchable...Nick is boring, and no one else is interesting (well except Rosalee, but she's not main cast...yet, it's disappointing how they don't even bother to mention her).

3 - you'll never find out, these bad writers need the wiggle room.

oh and I totally DID forget Juliette was a vet, because I just don't care about her at all.
Wasn't it the "Fall and Decline" not the "Rise and Fall"?
Actually, "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon.

I was disappointed that they didn't include Rosalee in this episode. It seems like it would have been natural for Monroe to call her when Larry showed up injured since she knows some things about healing and such. I hope they don't just write her off, I loved her with Monroe!
Poor Hank, he thinks he's going crazy. I think its about time Nick tells him what's up before he starts his own private investigation. Well at least Nick is tell Juliet next week.
Wasn't so much forgetting that Juliette is a vet, but wondering why she drives so far out into the countryside to help at a ranch. Everything we've seen so far suggests she's an urban pet doctor, so it took a second to figure out she was the one being called in by the rancher, Thom. FYI, it's Brinkerhof, according to the NBC press releases and closed captioning.
If Nick has to explain to either Juliette or Hank about Wessen world, but not both i hope he explain it to Hank. The poor guy looked so scared and petrified.

Juliette reasoning baffles me, lets not go into her reason for turning down Nick (i haven't forgiven her for that yet) but i think it would have made more sense to conclude the hair comes from a chimera that resulted from a gene experiments rather than "the stories are real". She is a vet!! a scientist!! if she is smart enough to understand genetic profiles, she is smart enough to understand they can be engineered. I understand that conversation between the Psychiatric and Nick about "the inner you and keeping it a secret" was a prelude to what's coming in the finale, but i feel like Hank has more to benefit from knowing than Juliette. Lets not forget she got all the gift baskets from the nice wessens.
1) I don't know, we already know from the preview that Juliette will find out, I'm thinking either early next season or as a cliffhanger to end the season.

2) Seeing how they handled the marriage proposal rejection, I wouldn't be surprised if she barely batted an eye.

3&4) The legends had to came from somewhere, right?

6) If I was Wesen, I would definitely live like a hermit, probably in Alaska or Canada.

7) They've already given us a few hints. Obviously it was something bad, or maybe someone he met?

No matter how this season ends, I'm really hoping that sometime in the future Renard kicks Nick off the force and he has to become a Grimm vigilante/fugitive, with Monroe as his side-kick. Also maybe Hank leading the man hunt? I could see Hank not handling the Grimm business all that well.
It's not Volga but Woge (one German word for wave); as Monroe explained, it's meant to convey a surfing between states of existence. He said it's up to the Wesen to make it happen.

Nick will need to let Nick and Juliette in to the secret. He's having a very hard time lying to them as it is.

There probably aren't enough Wesen to have a working society apart from humans; besides, many of them don't like each other anyway (Bridge trolls vs beavers, Haessliche vs everybody else, so forth). Monroe made that clear a while back.

Mostly, they seem to be able to hide quite well, except for an occasional episode of townsfolk with pitchforks, van Helsing, or a Grimm. Also, you can't get away from humans these days, they are everywhere, even in Shangri La.

Monroe's change is as inexplicable as those "good" vampires one sees elsewhere; as far as I'm concerned they should be whoever they are and not mess with their nature. Except, of course, as a camouflage mechanism (to avoid said pitch forks).

Forests are naturally strange for us born-and-bred city folk. Already the Romans, way back when they tried to hack their way through Germanic tribes, didn't like them. For a civilized Roman citizen, a wild forest was barbarism incarnate. Full of things to stumble over, creepy crawlies, or monstrous beings trying to kill you. (Totally unlike a city back alley, in other words.)

(Monroe's German has improved. He did quite well with "Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei". That saying, of course, is a very old joke, a pun. A rather inappropriate thing to say when somebody has died, by the way. Unless you have a very weird sense of humor. - "Wilder Mann" means just that, a wild man. As in hillbilly woodsman.)

I miss Rosalee!
1. I have no idea but the way that actor played the theater scene was absolutely brilliant. From the look in his eyes to the stammering timing of his dialog delivery - if I could act, this is how I would wan to do it.

2. Had you asked that shortly after the proposal ep, I would have said that is about the only thing that would keep them together. But the writers went a different direction (the proposal never happened) so now I don't know. Based on her research, I would have thought it was an illegal gene splicing experiment gone wrong and blamed the government, but that may just be me.

3. A question I have had since the first ep, and still don't have an answer to.

4. That would be cool. A Nessie ep is probably off the table, tho. :-(

5. I cannot confirm, but I wonder how they keep running like bats out of hell into these deep woods and never get lost.

6. I am naturally anti-social so I can't answer this.

7. Probably has to do with either growing up (and his values changed with maturity) or some fine little piece of wolf tail, IYKWIMAITYD.

LOL!

Gene experiment was my reasoning (for Juliette) on the issue of para-human!!..considering what she read, she should have come to that conclusion. Unless she believes The big foot stories are real because "scientist" created them. Which will be funny because the bigfoot stories have been here longer before science (genetic engineering) caught up to them.

cheer up, we got a second season, a Nessie ep will be made. lets start lobbying for one.
I *LOVE* Grimm. This show is really good.

1) I hope Nick shares with him. I mean, the captain knows, why not let your best friend in and be the best kick-a** team.

2) I think it will, but they will probably be shaken at first. Even though after this episode, it's really easy to just say "Honey, I'm a Grimm." and get a "Oh, cool." response, lol. But judging by the preview, it won't be easy.

3) With a Grimm, isn't it easy that they see their Volga-ing state even if they try to hide it?

4) I hope the Blair Witch isn't a Wesen. It would be scarrrrry.

6) I think I would at least try to be calm and control such urges in order to co-exist with humans. Otherwise, there'd be lots of Grimms hunting me down, lol. BUT, if The Grimm hunting me is Nick, I'd totally love being around him, lol.

7) I had the same question back when his ex-Blutbad girlfriend returned. I think it's probably because he killed someone and felt guilty?
Nick doesn't know the Captain knows. And when/if he learns we'll likely to see a giant to the death match as they're on opposite sides :)
I know he doesn't know yet. But I'm saying, It won't be fair that everyone knows except Hank, lol.

Now that you mentioned it, I don't think Nick will find out any sooner.
Great episode.

1. I think he is eventually going to have to clue Hank in. He can't be that dumb.

2. Probably, there are so many damsel in distress moments that will work. Plus she can become the doctor dolittle of Vessen.

3. My guess it lies somewhere between in control and out of control.

4. I would think there are as many as necessary.

5. I have been there a few times. I don't think there is a forest in the city limits that would be as dense as the ones they were in. Not far of a drive however. But the Urban forest can be dangerous, if you don't like hippies.

6. My theory is the necessity to be around others. It is why we have a natural tendency to group together as a specie. And since the majority of Vessen live within society, if they want to have a community even a sub community they need to be around people. I would imagine it would be like an addiction. Look at adrenaline junkies, they feel powerful. The power that some of the Vessen have could be very addicting and hard to control. As for me, if I was a Blutbat I would probably be running around the forest.

7. I imagine he probably did something bad. We have had glimpses when is ex was there and the type he hung out with. So my guess is he went dark side. Which will be great when we have a Monroe dark side episode next season.
I haven't felt this giddy about a TV show since The X-files... I LOVE it! More evil forestry to the people!