Grimm: The Case of the Explodey Face

Grimm S01E20: "Happily Ever Aftermath"

In the most on-the-nose fairy-tale-to-real-life translation Grimm has ever done, last night’s episode took on Cinderella so forcefully it’s a wonder no one was quoting Disney.

“Happily Ever Aftermath” kicked off with the reveal of a ponzi con: Hapless businessman Arthur invested everything down to his socks in the scheme and looked to his wife’s godfather, Spencer, to help him out. They concealed the truth from Arthur's wife Lucinda, a Stepford blonde whose hobbies include buying ball gowns and simpering, and asked Lucinda’s Stepmother for a loan. But uh oh, it turned out she was an evil stepmother—or at least unwilling to indulge her stepdaughter’s ball gown splurging lifestyle forever—so she said "no." That night, a bat creature called a Murcielago broke into Stepmother’s house and EXPLODED HER FACE with a sonic scream—and writing that sentence just reminded me why I love this show so much.

Nick’s part began with a flashback to the “Three Coins In A Fuchsbau” episode as Nick dreamt of his parents’ death-by-car accident. Called to Stepmother’s house, Nick and Hank investigate the family: the two mourning brunette stepsisters, dopey Arthur, and darling Lucinda—whose hobbies had expanded to (1) telling her husband not to think and (2) wearing high heels to bed. Spencer Wesened out in front of Nick, making him a suspect, and Juliette began her own investigation, calling the detective who oversaw Nick’s parents’ death. After the detective told Juliette he barely remembered cases from that long ago, he turned into a gushing fountain of information. Within seconds he called Nick with news that his parents’ death was investigated as a homicide, that the Coin robbers from “Three Coins” were all suspects, and that there’s still one more suspect named Akira Kimura we have yet to meet in Grimm. This info is so convenient it makes me wonder if it’s a set up and the detective is complicit in the Grimm world—or if it’s just bad exposition writing?

Back in Lucinda’s sparkly pony fairytale glitter life, Lucinda went to see her older stepsister to give her condolences. Angry Stepsister lashed out by blurting out her feelings that princess Luci was a rotten horror as a child, and Luci lashed out by a little exploding her sister’s face. Yes folks, Lucinda is also a Murcielago, and Cinderella’s a bitch when crossed!

Spencer turned himself in to try and protect Lucinda, telling the truth about his ability to explode faces as a means of tricking Hank into dismissing him and getting Nick to listen. The cops learned Lucinda is in line to inherit all her family’s money in the event of their death, so Spencer, Nick, and Hank raced to stop little miss bat-psycho from offing the last stepsister. Monroe arrived with a sound siren from the Grimm arsenal Aunt Marie’s trailer, and together Monroe and Nick cornered Lucinda. But Spencer struck the fatal blow against her—the two bats died side-by-side from explodey-face (Lucinda) and bite-to-the-neck (Spencer).

Nick used quick thinking to pin the sonic murders on the Grimm siren and Juliette apologized to Nick, admitting that maybe digging up Nick’s parent’s deaths, getting the detective to call Nick with information, and then cheerfully taunting Nick via phone that she was the better detective than he was wasn’t the most sensitive thing she could have done. Yeah, Juliette. Maybe.

“Happily” had an okay premise, but with only a handful of episodes left and the last three giving so much interesting mythology, this felt like a weaker, early-season episode that got misplaced. There wasn’t much mystery to it—as soon as the too-sweet-to-be-true Lucinda opened her mouth it was apparent she was the killer. Nick’s parents’ death was so barely touched upon that it was hardly worth including. And though it was fun to tease Hank into learning more about Nick’s double life—and Nick’s solution to explaining the murders of the humans and Captain Renard was great—all of those fun touches were lost in the ho-hum slog of the episode, overall. It didn't have enough Monroe and had too much inconsistent writing: I would have been fine with “Happily” if it was the very first introduction to the Grimm world, but by now I think viewers deserve more from their final episodes.

Questions
...Will Nick be able to get his Grimm siren back? I mean he might need it back. What if more Murcielago attack?

...If Spencer knew what a homicidal monster Lucinda was, why didn’t he kill her before this point? Or try to restrain her in some way?

...Why hasn’t Nick ever looked into his parents’ death before?

...Who is Akira Kimura? How is he tied to the Fuchsbau and the Coins?

...Will Hank start putting the pieces of Nick’s double life together after being confronted with all the Wesen weirdness this episode?

...At this point, how do people feel about Juliette? Is she the worst character to ever grace the Grimm screen, or is she simply being misused?

Nick does not always see a wesen right away, in episode 3 "Beeware", the beekeeper that Hank and Nick question is a wesen but Nick never see's him. We only know he was a wesen because we see him change when he is with "Major Kira" (whoops I mean the queen bee). A Grimm only see's a wesen when they lose control. (Aunt Marie said just that in the Pilot)
I didn't have that big a problem with the episode even if it was obvious that Lucinda was the killer.

Best part: Monroe in the trailer and Nick's explanation of the murders and Captain Renard's face and question. I love Captain Renard.

I'm warming up to Juliette and I don't have a problem with her and Nick not talking about his marriage proposal - after all as someone else said: She did say she wanted to marry him but that she couldn't.
I agree with the comments saying that a standalone episode this late in the season was out of place and that Nick not being able to see that Lucinda was a Murcielago was convenient for the story, but against the show's rules. Also, I found it strange he left the "matraca" (wich everybody is calling a Grimm siren in the comments, but Nick calls it a matraca as he reads from the Spanish description). Nick cannot be giving away parts of his Grimm arsenal let and right.

Yet, in spite of the show's several writing and acting flaws, Grimm manages to create a compelling atmosphere which still makes the show very entertaining to watch, so I'll definitely keep following.
Meh. I didn't care much for this episode. You may be right in that if it had aired a lot earlier in the season I'd have enjoyed it more, but at this point anyway, 'Happily Ever' felt like a very pointless episode. I understand that Grimm will continue to have standalone case-of-the-week-centric episodes, but if they're going to have one late in the season, it should be much more compelling.

I think the only thing that could've saved the episode was if Hank had actually found out (even partly) about the existence of monsters or Nick's Grimm-ness. They toyed with it a bit, but alas, the writers let him be stupid.
I was really annoyed by the fact that Nick didn't see that Lucinda was a Murcielago when he first met her. After all, he immediately saw that Spencer was one!

I've been waiting the whole season to see when the writers would make this mistake. So far it has worked out well, Nick has always recognized creatures right away. But now for some reason he didn't? This is quite a crucial detail. Either Nick recognizes creatures right away every time, or he recognizes them only in certain cases (e.g. when they feel threatened). But there has to be a clear rule for it. There's no point if the writers can just turn Nick's Wesen seeing skill on and off to fit the story.
I've always wondered (well, since about the third episode or so) how and when Nick sees the monster-face.

But despite that curiosity, I've never had that big a problem with its inconsistency. Although the question popped up again during this episode, it didn't make me roll my eyes or negatively view the episode overall. I'll just write it off as basically being random. Sometimes he'll see it, sometimes he won't.

It's certainly not good writing, but it's not TOO stupid enough for me to really hate the show.
Actually, although there were plot holes in this episode, that wasn't one of them.

Nick only sees wesen as wesen when they lose control; anger, fear, whatever. It's not something Nick has any control of, it's about them. And Lucinda wasn't evil because she was wesen (cuz Spencer wasn't like her) It was cuz she was a straight up psychopath without a conscience (as Spencer stated) As in...she's not gonna be worried about stuff because she simply doesn't care enough to worry. That's why she never wesened out, no conscience means no guilt to be stressing over.

The type of lack of control Spencer meant wasn't the same as showing their true faces lack of control. It was her straight up not killing people; having no concept of the rights of others or society kinda thing. Psychopathic mind and all.
I agree with AyeDub below. If you watch the earlier episodes, it is simply not true that Nick only sees Wesen when they lose control or feel anger, fear and so on. So far Nick has recognized Wesen in a wide range of situations, sometimes even from afar when the Wesen didn't know Nick was watching. And I assumed that based on this the rule is: "Nick sees Wesen regardless of the situation". And I was fine with that. But now he suddenly didn't recognize Lucinda, even though in so many episodes before he would easily have recognized her. The only thing I want is consistency.

As I said in my earlier comment, I would accept that Nick sees Wesen only in certain cases, but that would require that there is a clear rule for when this happens. But so far no such rule has been established. I thought it was clear cut, since Nick saw Wesen pretty much everywhere. But now this Lucinda loop hole shattered that rule. If the reason for why Nick didn't initially see Lucinda is that she can mask her inner creature under a psychopathic personality, then OK, fine. But I wish that would have been pointed out more clearly. I also feel that there has been a few other psychopathic creatures so far who should have been capable of doing the same.
More +
Totally, consistency is important for suspension of disbelief. Great shows set rules and don't stray from them.

But I hear you, I've been waiting for it to be inconsistent as well...finally it is. Now I'm waitting for it to get worse when in the finale we finally find out that the Captain is wesen (not just aware of wesen, but actually human) and shows his wesen side. I'm wondering if they'll even bother to try explain it away with some cheap excuse like magical jewelry (maybe a ring) or some silly potion or if they're just going to pretend that it doesn't conflict with what they've shown to date.
You seem to have strong issues with this show. Yet, you seem tom have watched every episode. Why do you do it?
*sigh* I knew this cheap copout would be used by fanboys to excuse that terrible terrible writing choice. A better written show wouldn't have had to stoop to such a cheap trick.

While what you say is it technically true (but still a copout), if you go back and watch the entire first season over you'll notice that in every other episode THE AUDIENCE is immediately shown who's a wesen and what type in the pre-credits sequence or very shortly there after. This week? Nope.

That is, BY FAR, the bigger crime.

So, while you can lamely claim that it's ok that nick didn't see the wesen for what it was earlier, you can't make the same claim for the audience. The writers only chose this VERY weak misdirection because they felt like it, and they felt the silly reveal was interesting (it wasn't).

Now you can expect the writers to try "dupe" the audience from here on out because they have no shame.

Oh, and one more question...if Nick can only see them when they lose control why did Adalind "lose control" simply walking down the street in the pilot? Not to mention many other obvious times they broke this "rule" that aren't shown every other week in the "previously on" section.

While your defense of this poorly written show is convenient to fanwank away inconsistencies like this, it's not really legitimate.
More +
Episode 3 the Beekeeper is Not revealed to anyone as a wesen until the Last Scene we see him in!!!! Episode 2 the parents don't "bear out" until mid episode. Episode 12 the parole officer isn't revealed as a wesen until he is revealed as the leader of the fight ring. Do you pay attention at all when you watch the show?
Wait, it's a problem the show decided to play a little hide and seek with Lucinda's wesen-side? Like every other show uses half-truths every now and then to confuse the viewer, but whatever...

It's just NOT true that Nick only sees the Wesen's true faces whenever they lose control. They can decide to show him their faces as well and not to forget each other or even not-wesen human beings. There have been numerous times Wesen used their true face as some kind of ID card. There was even this discussion between Monroe and Nick about Monroe helping him telling Juliette who he is, using Monroe's wolfey face. I'm also convinced Adalind showed Nick her face because she wanted him to see it. ..
Sorry, can't reply, we are over the limit...

Agree to disagree. I smell conspiracy and say Adalind was supposed to show Nick her true face to make him familiar with his Grimm abilities. She worked for his captain, didn't she? (By the way, I re-watched the scene as well, I don't see she didn't intended to reveal her Hexenbiest face)...

I'd turn my tv off immediately if this show established certain rules and followed them accordingly, like introduce the Wesen, let them kill someone, Hank acts stupid and Nick kills the Wesen. What can I say, I like suprises and I am not a fan of these proceduals. We've seen plenty of times that especially the Wesen did not act as expected. Die Maus toetete die Schlange ;)... So far I found it reasonable whenever they showed the Wesen's face, and I didn't have a problem they waited so long to reveal Cinderella to be the killer. But that's just me ;)
Oh the marvels of the digital age...The entire season was on demand for me so I was able to watch that scene again (less than 2 minutes into the first episode) and there is no way I'll agree with that. Adalind's expression as she walks away pretty clearly shows she did not intend to "show" Nick. Nice try though.

And, yes, it's a problem when a show decides to "play a little hide and seek". A better show establishes the rules and doesn't stray from them. If in every episode the audience immediately sees who's wesen and what they are, and then allllllll the way in episode 20 they decide to play fast an loose with that it's going to feel cheap.

They're cheating the audience. Period.
I think later in the episode they talked about how Lucinda has no control? So how could she keep Nick from seeing her for what she is? Bad writing.
Another excellent point.
i didn;t like this episode .lot about guest stars but this episode told very little abt original cast. and characters lack chemistry like Nick was worried whole episode but his partner Hank didn;t even notice until Nick told him .it was lame
?'s

I am not sure. It was kind of silent on the Renard front. Does this prove to him that Nick has help or has access to the trailer. Or does he already no about the trailer. Either way I am sure nick can get it back.

Because he promised her father that he would try to take care of him. However, how could he let anyone marry her. Now that is messed up. The husband should be thankful he just got some scratches.

Well probably because he never knew of the wesen angle until his aunt died. And thought it had something to do with it.

Akira I imagine has something to do with the whole royalty, Renard, Reaper stuff. And he like Renard and everyone else in their world wants the coins or to kill Grimms. Something like that.

At this point I am not sure about Hank. If he didn't figure anything out after he woke up in a strange bed with Monroe and Rosalee surrounding him I doubt any hints by a "crazy" suspect is going to sway him. He seems kind of thick. So it will probably take being smacked over the head with it. Or something like say a Blutbat runs into him in the forest to make him think something is up.

I feel indifference towards Juliette boarding on annoyance. It isn't that the actress isn't good. But the character, like Hank is kind of dumb. It would seem that it would be obvious to them that Nick isn't telling them everything. But they either don't figure it out or let it slide. Both of the characters are supposed to be highly intelligent people. Yet that can't see what is in front of them. At this point Juliette is a good plot device. Whenever the Dragon girl comes back she can bother Juliette, little Gerbal Wesson can bring her gifts and fix whatever. And then she can continually be kidnapped and rescued, or come close to finding things out and not, so on and so forth and then either next season or the third can be killed and send Nick on some Grimm revenge or turn him into a Super Grimm.

I think she is being misused I think the whole not addressing of the proposal is still kind of bugging me. And the rest is kind of blah.
DITTO

Now, question is, who is the worst/dumbest TV cop of the weekends? Detective Hank or Sheriff Emma Swan?

I enjoy Grimm, but I almost wish the show would have a tourn of events and have Monroe & Rosalee as the central characters; I mean, how awsome it would be to have those two gigglin and jittering at every new "cool" artifact they find in the trailer? and then have them going to quest and wessen chasing adventures??

Team MonRose!!!!
- I thought the same thing about Nick's Grimm siren thing. However, he knows where he will find it in case he needs it. Loved his captain's reaction...

- Well, Lucinda wasn't that homicidal before, was she? What kind of world would we live in if people got executed for being bad? Lucinda simply got out of control to a point Spencer or anyone else could control her.

- Easy, Nick was a child when his parents died and he didn't even know it was ruled a homicide until just now.

- Good question... I guess we will find out pretty soon.

- No, I don't think so. Hank seems to be deaf and blind to these kind of things. The whole Hexenbiest ordeal should have made him look a little closer... if anyone asks me, we could lose him, Nick seems to be pretty efficient on his own or with Monroe for that matter ;)...

- I don't have a problem with Juliette.
Nick may have to make the siren go missing, you know, things get misplaced in the evidence room, wink, wink

Spencer promised her Dad he would look out for her

Good question.

A new mouth to feed. Speaking of new characters that I like better, where's Munroe's girlfriend?

Both Hank and Juliette really have some serious blinders on.

Worthless character. She doesn't ground Nick, or humanize him or add anything of value in my book. But at least she isn't the damsel in distress each week either. Did she quit her job? What does she do besides hang out at home? Do we need this character? Me thinks not.
"But at least she isn't the damsel in distress each week either"

No, they've only stooped to that TWICE so far *eyeroll*...in the Ogre episode and the Dragon episode...and then almost did it again in the golden egg episode.

Personally I hope he dumps her like his Aunt Marie advised...but I'm not holding my breath.
Agree with all earlier posters. The ep seemed out of place: Nick is already supposed to suspect Renard (not evident here); Rosalee isn't even mentioned; again nothing about the refusal of the marriage proposal; what about the European Royals, and the fallout from last week's sending-heads-of-reapers? I kinda like an ark to build up, and have pieces of the mosaic fall into place with what happened before. All that is missing.

And yes, the explanation with the siren is so full of holes, it makes a sieve look solid. Plus, I also would like to know how a Wesen recognizes a Grimm.
"This info is so convenient it makes me wonder if it's a set up and the detective is complicit in the Grimm worldor if it's just bad exposition writing?"

LOL! Bad writing! That is what the show is best at (except for, maybe, REALLY bad and fake looking special effects)

"this felt like a weaker, early-season episode that got misplaced. "

Yeah, yet another episode without Rosalee (the second best character on the show)...I do feel like these are shown out of order...I wonder if we'll ever find that out that's the case.

"and Nick's solution to explaining the murders of the humans and Captain Renard was great"

How so? we're suppose to believe that the police bought that the sound device was used to kill the first two, AND break Spencer out of interrogation?...Think about it, from the police perspective (like, say Hank's) one of two things happened:

1) Spencer had this HUGE thing ON HIM and somehow they just missed it in interrogation.

- or -

2) Lucinda came to break him out, THEN they went to sisters only to kill each other?

How is ANYONE suppose to buy that and not question it?

Also...it's starting...Grimm is starting to cheat and only show wesen faces only when it suits the story (Spencer right away but Lucinda not until she was about to kill the sister)...GROAN...if this show was actually good it wouldn't need to rely on such cheap misdirection.

Then, it's established that the most recent shot of Kimura is British surveillance photo, yet the picture on Nick's pc at the end is totally different. Sure he could have done research himself into who he was, but a better show would have mentioned (or better yet shown) that.

As for your question on Juliette? Misused...but I think every character but Monroe is mis(or under) used...

This show is just silly and bad. Laughable.

Lastly, I really wish by now they'd have covered how wesen can tell Nick is a Grimm. What do they see or how do they know?
I do not get your problem with Juliette. I think she is great, when she said no to Nick's proposal a few weeks ago she showed how committed and patient she is. She said " I really want to marry you someday", and "just not until you let me back in". She knows Nick is keeping secrets but she is being patient and letting him figure out how to open back up to her. And when he woke up from that nightmare and started talking to her about it that's what it felt like he was doing. She is trying to be a part of his life so she asks if she help him solve his unrelsoved issues about his parents death. I agree the scene where she was telling him about her conversation with the detective was a little awkward but I think that is because both of them know they are still trying to get their relationship back to a place of full openess. I just wish Nick would tell her the truth, I think she would believe him. Even without being able to see, she would beleive Nick because of how much she loves him, and because she isn't an idiot, Nick's explination would fill in a lot of holes for her.
I was wondering the same thing about the siren. Maybe it's my weird capitalist "that's mine" nature, but I would never be able to get over losing something that cool to the evidence room. I can't wait for next week's episode. It looked like Hank was gonna finally catch on.

What's wrong with Juliette? I think everything makes sense about her so far. I don't see why everyone's in such a tizzy about the engagement thing since she didn't really say no, and her reason for not immediately accepting is pretty solid. Also, she's suspicious of what's going on, so she's not an idiot. I did wonder why she was the one calling the other cop about Nick's parents. You'd think he could do that.
I agree this episode was kinda weird for so late in the season. Following a string of great episodes though so I can't really complain too much. I want more Captain Renard! I don't hate Juliette that much...I think she has good intentions/sweet girl but she just doesn't have much agency.
In the beginning I thought Juliette was in with the Captain on trying to destroy Nick. However, now that she has become a more prominent character, i'm not so sure. I also kind of want Hank to figure it out, I wonder if the season finale will end with him or Juliette seeing something they weren't supposed to.