Grimm: The Truth Comes Out

Grimm S01E18: "Cat and Mouse"

As if the Grimm gods had heard my blogging prayers, Friday’s episode, "Cat and Mouse," had every element I’ve been aching to see—more Monroe and Rosalee, more background on the Wesens and the Grimms, more intel on how the show's world works, and more questions about Captain Renard’s place in things.

The episode began with a truly fun scene during which Nick recorded the details of his run-in with the Klausriech and Seltenvogelor in his big Grimm tome. Not only did we get to witness Nick stumbling over his words as he tried to find a dignified way to write “Mr. Cat was a d-bag,” but we got to see him applying his knowledge and being a Grimm. We’ve become pretty familiar with his cop side, so it was nice to see there are parts of his Grimm calling that are radically different.

On the creature side we had a cross-country gun chase as a truly hot British Fuchsbau, Ian, tried to outrun Edgar, a fantastically cold-blooded German Wesen hit man for the Verrat—the European Wesen rulers. In another fun reveal we discovered that Ian knows Rosalee and is the leader of some sort of Verrat resistance group. We also learned that so far, America has not been pulled into that “old country” political struggle, but it soon may be.

So Nick and Hank investigated the attempted murder of Ian, and Edgar threatened Nick and Captain Renard with equal aplomb. The show wisely did not attempt to milk the Hank/Adalind love story any further. And while there were no Juliette/Nick resolutions, there was far and enough action and new information to keep the glossing-over of that storyline from being troublesome.

The real meat of the episode came when Monroe arrived to help Rosalee with Ian and we saw a lot of Monroe jealousy as he and Nick helped the activist Fuchsbau. Monroe might as well have rented a billboard emblazoned with the words “I like Rosalee” for all his bluster, and I loved the subtle rivalry between Ian and Monroe. While our favorite Blutbad is a rebel in refusing to let his nature dictate who he is, it was fascinating to see him compete with a true revolutionary, though Rosalee seemed pretty oblivious.

But then the other shoe dropped for Nick as we learned that historically, the Grimms have often worked for the evil ruling Wesen royal families oppressing the masses. Apparently the old-country Grimms have an “enemy of my enemy” attitude and have worked for and with the Wesen royal families to take down their subjects, making the Wesens' overpowering fear of Grimms suddenly way more understandable. It also begs the question, who are the real bad guys here? Are the Reapers good guys for trying to keep the murdering Grimms in check? Is Captain Renard a good guy for trying to keep European politics out of America? Was Aunt Marie a bad guy, killing innocent Wesen with the help of the Royals?

Things came to a head when Edgar, after trying to put Nick on the wrong trail and then trying to employ Nick, resorted to threatening a citywide shooting spree unless he got Ian. Our dapper hit man then took Rosalee hostage, and the plucky Fuchsbau did some grade-A sassing as she stalled for time, cementing her status as my favorite new character.

Team Grimm formulated a plan on the run and we got a fantastic scene in which Monroe and Nick pretended to give up Ian in a Scooby-and-Shaggy-esque bickering pantomime. Monroe Blutbaded out and took down Edgar, but the refined hit man’s words about the oppressed becoming the oppressors rang true as Ian shot him. Nick decided to let Ian go for the greater good and proved that he is more adept at staging a murder scene than Captain Renard as he called in the Portland PD and pinned all the blame on Edgar. But the final twist came when Renard let slip that he knows there are more people gunning for Ian, and Nick began to look on his beloved police chief with suspicion.

This episode was excellent, everything I’ve been wishing for as we began to see the substance behind the creature world. The cop drama side has never felt more real; I enjoyed watching Nick race against time to catch the rogue hit man, though I'm a bit disappointed that Edgar won't be back, just like Woolsey (I still mourn you Woolsey!)

But the best part of "Cat and Mouse" was how much food for thought it gave us, from wondering who the bad guys are to questioning the very nature of rebellion. All of our main Grimm characters are rebels in their own way: Monroe is a vegan, pacifist Blutbad. Nick is a Grimm who will not kill; Captain Renard is a Royal who seems to want nothing to do with Wesen Politics beyond protecting his city. So what makes them different than the Resistance? Where do their goals diverge? Though I like the Wesen-of-the-week episodes I absolutely love the exploration of Grimm mythology, and with four episodes to go it looks like Grimm is going to finish Season 1 with a bang.

Questions:

– What are the royal families? Are they all the same Wesen? Are they the same as Captain Renard?

– Who else is part of the Resistance? Will we get to see more of the Wesen political structure?

– Is the Resistance a "good guy" or did Edgar have a point about the oppressed becoming oppressors?

– Does Nick now know Captain Renard is a Wesen?

– Will Nick’s bending of the rules be a good thing, or is this the beginning of a slide into the bad cop/bad Grimm side?

– Is the Verrat struggle what the Mellifer was trying to warn Nick about way back when?

– Will Monroe ever work up the guts to tell Rosalee he likes her?

why is everyone assuming Captain Renard is a wesen? I mean we've never seen him change right? It's not just that Nick has never seen him change, but no wesen have ever changed or seen him change. Has it ever been established that the royal families are wesen? Doesn't make more sense for those in the majority (humans) to subjugate the minority (wesen).
It does to me. It would also go a long way to explaining why the Royals aligned with the Grimm. The Royals supplying resources, the Grimm identifying Wesen and all else needing culling.
Wow, we really seem to shift into another gear here! We're now shoved from a "They live among us" scenario to a global struggle of war and peace, involving nasty royals, brave freedom fighters (cliche, anyone?), and opportunistic killers, with possibly apocalyptic results for the poor, unsuspecting humans. Seems a touch too grand for me, considering what we had for the previous 17 episodes.

We've discussed the nature of Renard before, and I think the consensus was that either he's human, or some kind of uber-Wesen who can hide his identity even from Grimms. We'll see. But I also have the sense that Nick was surprised about the Captain's comments; so maybe he does start to suspect - high time, too!

(Once again, strange accents and lousy German.)
Just the right push to the front with the Capt and Nick's relationship. This will be interesting for the finale. Come or go, something's got to give with Juliette. Right now, she's just taking up space.

Great review, Josie. Now, when you try to describe this show to someone having not seen it, do you break out the cheat sheet with the list of creature names phonectically listed??
Great episode! I'm intrigued by the fact that Nick can't detect what kind of Wesen captain Renard is. Kan you "upgrade" your Grimm sense?

I'm totally diggin' the Monroe/Rosalee (Mosalee?) chemistry. Hope they get together in this season.
I kinda like RosaRoe.
Great Review as always - just love that show and the community here! FYI: Verrat is an actual German word and means betrayal. Being German I still have not figured out if this is supposed to be a real clue or not - just seems too easy. Yet, the names of the Wesen (meaning Beings) are mostly a good description of their abilities. But none of these Names have ever been used in the original Grimm tales. If somebody wants an explanation / translation of a specific term - I can help, since I think some of the terms are not in any dictionary.
Ich habe das verballhornte / falsche Deutsch hier schon mal angesprochen - so gut wie kein Interesse...
Great episode. All the characters fared strongly this week. I think Renard in the end has some link to Nicks family in the past. Hes working both sides of good and evil, if we really know where that division is with Grimm. I do hope that Nick does come clean to Juliette this season, seems to me that ruse has gone on long enough. Keep watching this is good stuff!!
It was a great episode.... one that we've been looking for since the start of the series.
I've never said this before about a show but.. best episode ever! I can actually point to this episode and say it is the best so far. I normally just watch the episodes and appreciate the overarching storyline. I am really falling in love with this show. Thank god Hank got over that whats-her-name cuz that love spell was getting old quick. Team Grimm!
I like this show so much that for maybe the first time I'm not interested in speculation...I let it take me wherever it wants...And David Giuntoli is so good, so conflicted that he could sell me anything!

I really like it!

p.s. Maybe when the season is over, could you do a political chart? I am so confused by royals, wesen and I can't remember the meaning of the simil german words...So maybe a dictonary to....

As FranziM said, "Verrat" means treason, which is a strange name for an organisation. Edgar was a "Hundjaeger", which literally means Dog Hunter (in a German dictionary you'll only find Hund and Jaeger as separate words). The gun was supposedly from "Deutsche Waffen" (German Weapons), which could work as a company name. Monroe again mentioned "Zaubertrank" (Magic Potion).
Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken was a major German arms manufacturer founded in late 19th century, and, yes, they produced the famous Luger pistol which Waltz claimed has been in his family for generations.
I was really disappointed that when Monroe and Rosalee were trying to convince Nick of that the activist couldn't have killed the bartender that Nick didn't mention the fact that a witness put him at the scene and then immediately realize that it had to be a setup and that the "Witness" had to be Edgar. Really weak.

I continue to only watch the show for Monroe and Rosalee...everything else either bores me or is actively bad.

I might like this show better if only the special effects weren't painful to look at. They're Jumanji bad...ugh...
Awesome episode and I like that it makes us wonder about the very nature of the creature world and it's politics. The idea that the Grimms worked for the Royal Families seems cool though were still not sure who or what they are. I certainly can't wait to find out more!
I am really glad I stuck with this show. This really has been getting better and better as the season has progressed. I thought it was going to be rather 1 dimensional but there is really a lot of varied plots that they could go after now that the families have been revealed and the rest. I am shocked NBC has kept it. If only because it is good. Now if they had only kept up Prime Suspect.

The Royal Families are that. They are the Royalty of their respective world or at least the current heads of the world. I am unsure if they are the same as the Wesen or just are able to id them and therefore exploit them. Mostly because of Renard. I think he is a member of one of the families and it is unclear because he has never appeared to Nick as a Wesen. Which could mean he just hasn't yet or he is unable to. As for Renard himself, i don't think he wants to be a member of the families. I think he wants it all for himself. As was apparent in the coins episode. He has plans for Nick and for that key to some big bad Grimm power or weapon or something. Also if I recall correctly he was referred to as "your highness" in one of the episodes.

I think anyone could be part of the Resistance, which will add to the plot in future episodes. I think they can set up the political structure in the show. Which makes it great.

I think if this is anything like the animal world that they kind of mimic in a way. There is no good and evil there is just survival of the fittest and if the current subjects e.g. "the resistance" becomes the leader then they will be the oppressors rather than the oppressed..

I don't think Nick knows anything about Renard, yet. Which is odd considering all the info the hexenbeast knew about him and so on. I think the better question is. Does Renard know or will he finally realize that Nick is getting help from Wesen in Monroe and Rosa lee. And what is he going to do when he finds out. Also what is going to happen when he realizes Juliette is a far better pressure point for Nick than Hank was.

I think as long as Nick can keep his head around what is good and right versus what isn't in the world he will be fine. It was the better thing to do letting the guy go today. Plus it is also about survival.

I think that is exactly what the Mellifer was trying to warn Nick about.

Nah, I think she is going to have to make the move on him.
This episode was so good! I'm glad that we're starting to learn a little bit more about how this whole grimm-world works. :O I'm so excited for the rest of the season and season 2!! and one more thing: awwww monroe and rosalee heheh :)
That was quite a good episode. We're finally getting into the core of the show's mythology. In the beginning I thought it was curious to see Nick fighting with his adjectives to describe the klaustreich. I was also surprised he'd use such an antiquated method of storing information, writing and drawing things on an old book, but perhaps that's the best way to keep lasting information for future generations while keeping things traditional and mysterious.

Now, your questions...

1- The Royal families are not Wesen. They must be human or Nick would've seen the captain's true face.

2- Yes, we'll see much more of that structure, but not on this season I think.

3- I think you've raised excellent points as to who is good and who is bad. At this point it's hard to tell who is what. But until proven otherwise, I'd say the Resistance is good as resistances usually are...

4- What's a Wesen again anyway?? I don't think he's some sort of inhuman creature, but a human. What the captain said at the end of the episode, about Ian being hunting by others, was suspicious, but I don't know if Nick noticed that. Sometimes if it's not convenient for the plot, the writers don't let Nick realize some simple and obvious things... Well, he might have since the season is ending.

5- I think Nick's law-breaking (and not just rule-bending) at the end was an instance of personal growth. So far he has done things too much by the book, which is fine for a cop, but not for a Grimm. I really thought he was going to arrest Ian because, according to the law, that was what he was supposed to do. Nick has to increase his level of "badassery."

6- Yes, I think that what she was trying to warn him about.

7- Come on, Rosalee hasn't noticed anything yet? How oblivious does she have to be? I think he has already told her he likes her, through his actions, not his words. That should be enough for a girl... (Yeah, I know I'm provoking.)
the captain is a wesen, thats already been proven a while ago.And a wesen is a creature,( its just a broad term for all the different types) Also im pretty sure they said that the royal families are all wesen although I could be incorrect (I have trouble differentiating between this show and lost girl on the mythology stuff)
Thank You. I thought I was the only person who saw Captain change. early episode in his office. Maybe again when the coins. does anyone remember the exact episodes? Thanks, bob
How was it proven he is not human? I've seen all episodes and I don't remember that.
I don't seem to remember nick looking at the capt suspiciously...
I remember he gave him a little look but I am not sure if he really realized what the captian meant
Me neither...
I love when this show goes deeper into its mythology! I am looking forward to see how the remainder of the season wraps up. Thank goodness there will be a second season!