Grimm's Outlook is Anything But

NBC may be onto something with its fairytale detective series Grimm. The drama centers on a young detective named Nick (David Giuntoli); within the first 15 minutes or so of Friday's premiere, Nick's bald, cancer-stricken aunt showed up unannounced, started yammering about the "misfortune" of their family, insisted he break up with the girlfriend he was planning to propose to, got attacked by a scythe-swinging monster, and gave him a weird necklace he's now supposed to guard with this life. Then she fell into a coma, leaving our hero with only a few basic facts: fairytales are real, his parents didn't die in a car crash, and he's is one of the last remaining "Grimms"—people who can detect the very real and very dangerous fairytale creatures living in our midst. Thanks for the vague pointers, Auntie! Good thing she left him a trailer full of literature on the subject.

Nick's job as a homicide detective quickly morphed into a series of man—er, creature—hunts, as he started to realize he'll now be tasked with maintaining the balance between humanity and the fairytale monsters who threaten it. It's unclear whether these creatures are on the verge of becoming stronger or more dangerous, but that seems to be the general message. Basically, Nick's got a lot of work to do.

I'm digging how the show incorporates fairytales into real life without completely disrupting the boundaries of reality, which the pilot did by introducing the bad guys as evil fairytale characters who disguise themselves as human. According to Grimm, the mythological minority look and act like us, even though they can pose a real threat—as evidenced by the grisly murder that opened the series premiere. It's only when Nick sees flashes of their scary monster faces that he can expose them for who they really are. I'm on board with that conviction, because it doesn't seem entirely unrealistic—if fairytale creatures have been secretly living amongst us for thousands of years without ANYBODY noticing, then they must really good at hiding. And what better hiding place than right alongside us, pretending to be us?

Grimm's first episode was everything a pilot for a fairytale detective procedural should be. Though many procedural pilots spend too much time on character introduction and too little time on the action inherent in the case-of-the-week formula, Grimm managed to intertwine the two without sacrificing momentum. Aunt Marie's visit set up some of the longer arcs—basically, that Nick (and viewers) will need to learn more about who he is and the responsibilities that come with being a Grimm—but her coma and the pressing nature of the Big Bad Wolf case ensured we didn't get too bogged down by exposition. Before Nick could spend too much time searching his aunt's trailer for answers, we were distracted by the Big Bad Wolf's pursuit of his second victim, Baby Red Riding Hoodie. That story set-up, when the postman began to trail after the little girl, was perfectly placed to distract us from Nick's longer story arc for pretty much the rest of the episode, leaving us intrigued to learn more.

And once you consider the excellent production values and impressive shot set-ups, Grimm gave us quite an entertaining debut. I really love the show's look so far, and the overhead shot of the abducted girl in the mailbag on the floor of the Big Bad Wolf's house was particularly rad. Even the less-than-premium CGI was pretty good.

I haven't even addressed the acting yet, but that right there is evidence that it's on-par. I generally find that if the acting on a TV show is terrible, I always notice it, but if it's great, I don't. During Grimm's pilot, I wasn't distracted by the actors. In fact, I pretty much liked all of them. I especially hope we get to see more of Silas Weir Mitchell, who plays Eddie—the quirky, but naturally edgy good Big Bad Wolf who helped Nick track down the real bad guy. Though he ran off while Nick approached the super-creepy postman-wolf, the fact that Eddie seemed to know more about Nick's heritage than Nick suggests he might be a recurring confidante. (Update: The previews for Episode 2 and IMDB confirm this to be true. Hooray!)

I also think Grimm's pilot nailed the suspense factor. There was enough tension to warrant the action, and enough action to warrant the tension (I particularly loved seeing Eddie jump out his window to attack Nick). The sound editing helped with this, too: In the opening scene, when Red Riding Hoodie got sacked, the off-screen growls and the sound of tearing flesh were enough to make me lose my appetite for a week. I suspect Grimm's sound mixers simply got together in post-production and were like, "Okay, let's prove to everyone in the first 45 seconds that we are NOT EFFING AROUND."

Of course, the episode wasn't without its flaws. Anytime a show wants to kick things off by blasting a Eurythmics song, it's fine by me. But I was a little turned off that the iPod was still playing "Sweet Dreams" when the detectives arrived at Red Riding Hoodie's crime scene. I seriously doubt the girl was running to a single song on repeat. And while I get that at the end of the episode, the song was supposed to reveal the "true" bad guy, the device was a bit of stretch for me. I was similarly bothered by the fact that nobody in the police department made the connection between kidnapping victims wearing red before Nick noticed (or was told by Eddie?). Those minor snafus ate away at my suspension of disbelief, but since this was a pilot episode, I'm willing to let them slide.

If it's not already obvious, I'm looking forward to the rest of this series. I'm glad Nick's aunt is still in the game, what with her eyes finally opening at the end, and that there's evil lurking in the police department (this wouldn't be a detective show without a couple of corrupt cops, right?). Nick hasn't even scratched the surface of what he's dealing with here. And though I'm wondering how long Grimm can go before it runs out of iconic fairytale lore to geek out about, I'm hoping that the 200+ tales in the Brothers Grimm canon will inspire at least a full season's worth of episodes. As long as the show's Friday-night timeslot doesn't prematurely sentence it to cancellation, this thing has real potential.

What did you think of the premiere?

almost perfect
what are the details like the artist and name of the song in the begining.....it is stuck in my head!!!
I think it has potential to grow if given enough room to breathe. There are so many sit coms and drama with police and undercovers that this will carry it's weight in the field of enjoyable. The only negative feed back I have to offer is the amount of commercials bombarding the viewers, taking away the intenisity of the show.
Everyone is entitled to thier opinions but when It comes to the whole Grimm vs. Supernatural debate going on it's kinda like can't a person like them both? I've watched Supernatural since the Pilot and I still Love it But I really like Grimm to. Supernatural is about two brothers hunting demons and monsters, and Grimm is similar in many ways but Unlike Grimm, Supernatural is not based off Fairy Tales. I think that Grimm can hold it's own against Supernatural, Its only the first season, it needs time to grow as a show just as most new shows do. I think it can improve for sure but it is still a good show so far.
when supernatural started out the used fairy tales, legends and myths
This is a REALLY great show. I hope it stays on tv.
Awwesomw show. One of the few I really liked.
It was actually pretty enjoyable, though I watch it on hulu.
What bonvoightski2 said. :) Grimm is ok, but definitely not spn level.
the pilot was only a bit above OK but fun. since unfortunately it has been only fair with obvious probs. the look of the show is bright,sunny,with a happily ever after that leaves out the grimm in a big way... even the characters save the "good wolf" who has been a great actor ready for something more are flat. esp the girlfriend or is she his wife? don't even know for sure. not good...it is in comp with fringe and super,no way just no way...
The series seems to be off to a good start. There still needs to be some impetus for him to keep hunting monsters-the "I can see them" angle just isn't compelling enough.The setups are well done, but again-Grimm just doesn't seem 'invested' in the hunt. His Aunt was attacked on her deathbed because she was a Grimm; but he gets to clock out & go home every night. It needs to become more personal, which makes me suspect that the gorgeous redhead/veterinarian/fiancee is living on borrowed time [sigh].

Its sort of his job. The reason the Grimms can see the monsters is that throughout the years they have been tasked with killing the ones that prey on humans. So no he doesn't need any extra reason. Any more then Buffy needed to kill vampires other then being the slayer. thats sort of what he is. A slayer of bad creatures and keeper of the peace. Thats what a Grimm is.
just watch supernatural instead, much better show!
If you like dumb good looking jocks who like to kill. But I am hoping thiw will be what I hoped for Supernatural. More humor, and less meanness.
I gave it a second episode, I am still far from impressed. I just saw someone write "Supernatural is more original in its 133rd episode than Grimm was in its first" and I have to agree. Grimm is like Supernatural's too serious little brother following in his big brother's footsteps. Actually, one of the reasons I don't like Grimm is because it takes itself far too seriously, and does not have anything like the quirky humor Supernatural has.
As a sort of G vs. E addict, I think Grimm is great.

It is filling the void left by Supernatural (which jumped the shark awhile back). By way of comparison, it is nowhere near as gory, doesn't take itself oh so seriously and is clever and quirky in its own right. I love the big (not) bad wolf - dude cracks me up. All of the characters are growing on me in their own way.

This is exactly the kind of thing I love when I just want to unwind.
You think Supernatural takes itself "oh so seriously"? Seriously??? The show with the suicidal teddy bear who blew his brainstuffing out, the stoned orgy-loving angel, the slow-dancing alien? The trickster who trapped the boys in sitcoms, medical soap operas and Japanese gameshows and turned Sam into a Knightrider/Impala? The fourth-wall-destroying meta craziness of Supernatural fan conventions on the show and Sam and Dean traveling to an alternate universe where they are Jensen and Jared playing Sam and Dean? With episode titles like "Season 7, Time for a Wedding!", "Shut Up, Dr. Phil", "How to Win Friends and Influence Monsters" and "Crissangel is a Douchebag"? I could go on and on, but I think I've made my point. You must be watching Supernatural in a mirror universe, dude. And Grimm too for that matter, it didn't look clever and quirky to me.

I didn't see Supernatural as being humorous or quirky. Campy. Sure. But the teddy bear show was really mostly about how people neglect children so that children go into their own world, and always find evil there. And about how Dean was abused by their dad and turned into a soldier. And there is ALWAY religious stuff in Supernatural. Grimm is about fairy tale monsters from the Brothers Grimm living beside us, some are bad, and some are fine. In Supernatural EVERYTHING is religious, and EVERYTHING thats not a living human is evil. Its like being stuck with your crazy religious aunt. In what world is that light hearted? I just get tired of the terrible things that Dean and Sam do, like kill innocent people because a demon possessed their body. Or kill people because they might be a danger later on. I guess its very difficult for me to like or root for "heroes" like that. And its certainly a downer.
Supernatural used to be as you described. The last two seasons have been VERY spotty. Quick question: the brothers pull up to a scenic rest area and crack two beers, lean against Metallicar and discuss there feelings for five minutes. Which episode is it? [answer: frickin' ALL of them].
'there' should be "their". Sorry.
^^^This reply is too funny!!
Loved it! I hope that it has what it takes to go the distance!!!!! Any show about supernatural baddies being taken on by the un-supernatural goodies is always fine by me!!!
Love this show! Keep it coming. I think the mix of the police procedural and the supernatural provide the right blend to keep me tuning in. Keep the Aunt and Eddie! We need some continuity.
Don't like Supernatural anymore but I really like Grimm. Hope it lasts - most shows I enjoy seem to get cancelled!
I'm COMPLETELY crazy about this show. I loved it from start to finish. That scene where Nick goes with Eddie to track down the other wolf, and Eddie's driving with his head out the window... CLASSIC. Okay, fine, I know he was trying to pick up on the scent, but come on, dogs always stick their heads out car windows if they can. Awesome. I want more.
Hey, all you people who have suddenly discovered you like Grimm! Why have you not been watching Supernatural these past 6 years? It's the much better original. Seriously, watch the Supernatural pilot and compare the two. In Supernatural, the characters are much more compelling, and the scares are genuine and, well, scarier. I think the scene in the pilot when Sam is driving the Impala is the scariest in TV history.
Supernatural is waay too religious for my taste. I like this because it has a much cooler idea about monsters rather then the typical demons and vampires like Supernatural. I didn't really like that whole human beings become demons if they aren't religious enough thing. Nor the whole Lucifer thing. They are very different shows.
Really, go watch it! If you like Grimm, you will love Supernatural!
I like Supernatural, Fringe then Grimm in that order. I dvr SN and Hulu Grimm bur watch Supernatural at 9pm since Nothing airs at nine anymore [in my time zone]. Also like Once Upon, Dexter, X Files, AHS on FX. Why must Neilsen make us choose and they never consider dvr/Hulu for True ratings knowing people work all week and can't record everything at once.
For sure if people like Grimm they will love Supernatural. But if you love Supernatural, it's hard to like Grimm because it's a pale copy. When Nick finds the waepons and books in his aunt's trailer, I was like Did they raid the Impala's trunk and Bobby's library for their props? I'd already seen it all before on Supernatural, and done better.
In that case Supernatural stole it from Buffy. She had a weapon closet too. And she came first. These shows are totally different. I doubt that the whole weapons chest is even originally from Buffy. Its probably appeared before that even.

But the monsters being from the old fairy tales is much more to my liking then the vampires, demons, and witches that are in Supernatural and every other show. I also like that in Grimm they show the monsters as being neither good or bad, even though they are dangerous. Supernatural is just a typical evil monster show.
it's because Supernatural is on the CW. i introduced 8 friends to the show who all love it: 2 had heard of it but never watched it because they assumed it would be another CW-style "bad teen drama," and 6 had never heard of it because they never went anywhere near the CW. it's interesting to see with Grimm what kind of ratings and attention Supernatural might have gotten were it on a big network. Actually, i'm sure it would be doing better, because it is, as you say "the much better origianal."
Supernatural has about one sixth the viewers that Grimm does. Its still around only because its on the CW and its fan base is very small, but very loyal.
i loved it! i'm excited to see where this series would lead. :) on the other hand, i don't want to love it too much since it's on the same time slot as fringe. :P
This show sucked. It was boring as hell and the acting was terrible. The actors fell into telling not conveying, there was no depth to their character, they didn't understand the relationships they had with each one of the character. The storyline is BORING. Not going to watch it. I have seen more shows there were not boring at the first episode. Such as True Blood, and Dexter. Just because it is the first episode does not mean you have to make it boring. And the actors need to analyze their script more. If they had more understanding, of their character, their relationships, and found what made their. character human and lived in the moment, the show wouldn't have been so freaking. boring.
I loved this show. So different and fun! The good big bad wolf was so funny with his one liners. I do hope it sticks around. Been a while since we got something this much fun yet kind of spooky too. And to agenskinner... X files is so 90's. Welcome to the 21st century. I thought xfiles was boring boring boring. Couldn't watch it after a couple of episodes.
FYI, Grimm is made by many of the same people who made the X-Files, like Grimm creator David Greenwalt, who was exec producer on the X-Files. Every review I read said it was a callback to the X-Files. Which is why I had such high hopes for it, before they were dashed. The X-Files was the pioneer and trailblazer who opened this genre on TV, and did it to much acclaim and surprisingly high ratings, in spite of being on Fridays, like Grimm. Its ratings ran as high as 17 million, next to Grimm's paltry 6 million. And don't treat me like I'm some outdated fuddy-duddy: I was too young to watch the X-Files when it aired live, and bought the DVDs because I love the genre. I watched the X-Files in the 21st century, thank you very much, and it holds up very well. I also watch Supernatural and True Blood, which are similar shows from the 2000s, both of them also a great deal better than Grimm.
Really? I would have figured Twilight Zone or maybe even The outer limits, but I don't have a clue what i'm talking about here.
It was a real let down. It can't hold a candle to the X-Files. It can't hold a matchstick.
I really enjoyed the pilot and I'm looking forward to future episodes.
I thought it failed on both fronts, character development and procedural. I thought Nick had zero personality. And I was distracted by David Giuntoli's "acting." They shouldn't have hired someone with only Reality TV experience as their lead. As for the procedural part, it could not have been more simplistic or predictable. And it wasn't even scary, they just use a lot of creepy music and lighting to make it seem scary. That opening scene was especially lame. She's jogging, she gets pushed off camera, she screams. That's it. I thought it had potential to be another Supernatural, but it was a big disappointment.
Regarding the point about the iPod... Not sure if I was the only that was bothered by it, but it seems that they are fishing for some cash from Apple, since they kept mentioning iPods and iPhones, but Nick atleast wasnt using one...

Anyway, back to the point I was trying to make... I have actually done quite a few 10 kilometer runs with one song on repeat, especially if its one that sets a nice tempo, like "Sweet Dreams". At least for me the music I carry while running isn't so much about having actual music as it is about keeping the tempo nice and steady. So I disagree with you there, not at all a long stretch on the song.
Agreed: once you get into a groove, sometimes it's best not to change it!

Also, by having the song still playing when they showed up to investigate, it made the use of it at the end of the episode even more powerful (which was an excellent use of bookends). That it started with the Eurythmics version, and ended with the much darker Marilyn Manson version was brilliant.

Amazing use of audio!!
I'm not sure what it says about me, but my 2 favorite new shows are Grimm and Once Upon a Time, in that order.

I really liked it and I wasn't expecting to buy into the fairy-tale premise but I found myself enjoying it. I hope it sticks around.
I really loved it - and I while I agree that it was a bit of an annoying stretch to think that the Eurythmics song would *still* be playing when the cops got to the scene, I actually like it's reprisal at the end, when they switched to the Marilyn Manson version of the track - which is *significantly* creepier than the original. It made not just a good framing device for the first episode, but it helped signify the change in Nick's world - no long filled with just the normal creepiness that comes about because of 'normal' crime, but taking on this added dimension of the fairy-tale world and "shadow" criminals (the ones whose true nature only he can see) it dives into a whole different, harsher kind of creepiness. I thought it was a GREAT touch!

I also really liked that even once the cops realized that both girls had been wearing red jackets - it was almost a throw-away comment, and they didn't even take it as far as describing either of them as wearing a "red hoodie" - just a 'red jacket.' They decided that the audience was likely smart enough to not need having everything spelled out for it in the most simplistic manner possible. I appreciated that kind of a more subtle hand - at least more subtle when compared to what I've come to expect fro TV in general :)

I'm NOT thrilled that it's up against Fringe, but at least my DVR lets me record 2 shows at once :D
On MY ipod if you set something to repeat, like you would if you were jogging and didn't want to have to touch it again it WOUL keep playing until someone stopped it.
I loved it and would be a regular is NBC had a lick of sense and had NOT put it at the same time as SPN and Fringe. So I got to see one ep, but there is not room on my DVR for Grimm and I really hate that. Will be interested to see how it does this week.
Pilot was good and Nick reminded me of Branson from "Dylan Dogg; Dead of Night". I am looking forward to the next episodes to see how it all comes together. My only problem is it comes on at the same time as Supernatural & Fringe. Why no one schedules anything on Saturday night is beyond me.
I LOVED the good Big Bad Wolf and I'm glad he'll be back. Loved how he was hanging out the car window to sniff for the girl. Made me laugh. Loved the atmospheric feel, like how the cabin in the woods looked. Nice and creepy!! Can't compare with OUAT - two completely different shows that happen to spring from fairy tales.
I watched it on Monday on Hulu, where I watch everything I can't catch when they air. I agree Nielsen dosen't work anymore and networks need to get wise to that fact. Also CBS needs to let Hulu air their shows because their online player sucks!
Loved this show. It had atmosphere, humor, and was genuinely scary in parts. I expected it and "Once upon a Time" would shake out along the "ER"/"Chicago Hope" lines (and others, over the years), eventually resulting in a preference for one or the other. Actually, I like them both and they have very different approaches. I give "Grimm" a slight edge, because it's darker.

Unfortunately, having it run in the same timeslot as "Supernatural" and "Fringe", both of which I love, is, potentially, a huge drawback. Currently, we tape one while both watching and taping the other. Sigh. I suppose we'll have to find a 3rd VCR until somebody's airtime is changed.

Any show we become attached to, around here, tends to be canceled, so I'll hold my breath and watch hopefully.
First, I have to say that I missed the premiere. But the premise sounds quite similar to the Sister's Grimm series of books. Does anyone know if this is loosely based on them?
I agree with pretty much everything you said. Now if someone can explain to the networks that the Nielsens no longer work, the show will last. I didn't watch it Friday night for the simple reason I don't watch TV on Friday nights. But I did watch it Tuesday night on On Demand, which is what a LOT of my friends do. The show is dark, but that's a good contrast to it's fairy-tale competition, Once Upon a Time, which I also like, but for different reasons. Both are really good shows which I plan to continue watching.
Loved it - jumped me a bunch of times. I got a little concerned when they started to introduce humor.... it didn't go over the top, but I think I like it more on the serious side. We don't need another Scrubs... (cause they could never top that anyway). Overall a 8.0 out of 10
Are they trying to get its cancel why is it on the same time as Supernatural and Fringe are you kidding me I like this show put it on a different time slot.
Loved the pilot - of the two shows debuting in the "fairytale" genre this year, Grimm is faaaaar superior. I'm crossing my fingers.
I'm liking this show. It's a cop drama, which we have a lot of, but it still puts an interesting twist into the mix to satisfy my hunger for creatures and such.
I liked it hope it stays around for a while.
Well, I haven't seen an episode yet because it conflicts with my Supernatural. Perhaps I'll catch the reruns. Nothing gets in the way of my Supernatural.
The best show besides American Horror Story, Walking Dead & Dexter
I liked the pilot a lot. Especially Eddie. I hope he will stay a long time. I also loved the ending with the attack that tells of a bigger story. So I'll definitely continue watching.

I do hope it doesn't kill Fringe. If that happens I'll be very sad as I love that show.
I agree with you about the show having potential but I wasn't too impressed with the pilot. In the beginning, when the coed was attacked and they cut away from what was going on, it just seemed like a cheap way to make it seem like something was going on. We were denied the action right away. I did like the case and I like Nick and his partner. The cast seemed pretty good. (The little girl who was kidnapped was HORRIBLE. Are there no good, or even decent, child actors left? She was much too subdued for me).

I also didn't buy that no one connected the two cases before Nick did; that was pretty weak. And the fact that Sweet Dreams was still playing was a lame excuse to connect the killer to the crime later on.

I liked the show enough that I'll tune in again for the next episode but I am hoping it gets better.
This is a new favourite with the potential to become a classic.
So...... Haven't watched the show, but the commercials tell me it's a Supernatural ripoff. Would I be correct in assuming this?
Yes. And a bad ripoff to boot.
I was really disappointed with the show. I have watched (enjoyed most) every show of this genre and this one just doesn't add up to much. I was looking forward to it, too. It has such a good premise, but the writing was juvenile and it felt very network oriented. And I have to agree that it was wanting to be what Supernatural has already mastered (and X-Files back in the day). I'll still watch in hopes that it gets better...

I am not optmistic about Grimm!
I liked it. It has all the grit of a procedural but with the fantasy and underyling mystery thrown in. David Giuntoli is pretty good as Nick and this is the first thing I have seen him in. He has the experienced detective role pretty down put pulls off the fish out of water aspect of the character as well. Not to mention, he kind of looks like Chris Reeve. I could actually see him playing Superman.
You thought those 45 seconds of gore and screams where nasty? That's what I have to go through every time I wake up and drag my next victim, bound and shackled, to the kitchen.. You know it does get kinda repetetive :p

Nah kiddin'. My breakfeast consists of my cats whining like crazy and not allowing me to even take a leak before I fill their bowls. They're the balls and I'm the chain ^^

When I workout it's no unusual to listen to the same songe several times in a row. I'm never out running though..
Load More Comments