Grimm's Season 2 Premiere: Heeeeeere's Mommy!

Grimm S02E01: "Bad Teeth"

Grimm's Season 2 premiere, “Bad Teeth,” began on a boat as a security guard opened a cargo container leaking blood... and released a murderous Saber-Toothed Wesen (or a Marnassier, in Grimm-speak). We then cut to the very last minute of the Season 1 finale and saw the Kimura/Nick fight from Mama Nick’s perspective, right before she took the Wesen assassin down.

We also learned that Mama Nick is apparently Batman—she disappeared the instant Captain Renard and the Portland PD barged in. Renard was very interested in Kimura after seeing his Dragon’s Tongue tattoos; he was also surprised to find out Juliette was in the hospital. Batman-ing back into the living room after the police left, Mama Nick explained that she'd spent the past eighteen years chasing down the Wesen who killed Papa Nick. Mama was a Grimm and was trying to send Papa and her friend Gina away to protect them from the Dragon’s Tongue the night of the “car accident.” Alas, the Wesen killers mistook Gina for the Grimm and beheaded her.

Nick unsurprisingly had questions for his mother, but he was interrupted by Mama Nick trying to murder Monroe and Rosalee in the foyer. Monroe demonstrated once again why we love him as he pointed out how messed up the Burkhart clan was, then sympathized by telling Nick about Monroe’s murderous family reunions—“No one missed the cousins!” may be Grimm’s best line ever. MonRosalee (that's what Silas Weir Mitchell calls them!) told Nick that Juliette was under a memory spell, and unless they could make the counter-curse pronto, Juliette was at risk of winding up a dementia patient. This may literally be the most exciting thing that’s happened to Juliette on the show.

Speaking of Juliette, Portland’s favorite possibly-a-Royal-Wesen Captain Renard paid her a hospital visit just before paying Adalind’s mother a much angrier version of that visit. Adalind was AWOL and Renard wanted HexenMom to reverse the memory spell since Juliette is the only thing tying Nick to Portland, effectively keeping him under Renard’s thumb. HexenMom agreed as Juliette began losing her memories of Nick, most recent recollections first.

But Juliette's not the only one suffering memory troubles: Hank’s still cradling that shotgun, thinking about all the times he’s seen Wesen and popping pills! That certainly does not bode well for his future.

Mama Nick tried to get into Nick’s good graces by cooking a terrible pancake breakfast, but Nick and Hank were called to the boat murder scene, all while being watched by Saber Face Wesen. We got some grade-A Grimm bonding as Nick and his mother went to Aunt Marie’s trailer and Mama Nick reminisced about buying it with her when she was a wee Grimm. There's apparently a Grimm gene that makes women realize their Grimm-ness before men (Mama Nick found out when she was ten). She came to Portland after learning a Grimm had the three Coins and convinced Nick she wanted to destroy them, Mount Doom style. Literally—she has to take them back to the island where they were made in order to destroy them.

So Nick said he was trying his best to forgive her for abandoning him as a child and letting him think she was dead for eighteen years. They hugged it out just before Mama Nick dropped the bombshell: the boat, a.k.a. killer/Saber Face, is working for the Royal families who are in the middle of trying to reestablish their control over Europe, and, once they do, the world! We also caught a fun scene where an unnamed Royal took Saber Face’s phone call while torturing a Wesen Resistance fighter. Move over Edgar, Mr. Royal “I’m on the phone” Wesen just stole my heart.

HexenMom strolled into Rosalee’s apothecary with a list of the ingredients for the Juliette counter-spell and Rosalee passed Nick her number, allowing him to track her down and threaten her. Mama Nick shelved the journey-into-Mordor Coin-destroying scheme to help Nick with Saber Face and explained that his Grimm Key was one of seven originally held by seven ancient Grimms who worked for the Seven Royal families back during the fourth crusade (numbers!). While fighting in the Holy Land the Grimms found an object so powerful that if the Royals got their hands on it, it would allow them to rule the world. The Grimms locked the object away, but the Royals want it—and thanks to Captain Renard, they now know Nick has a Key.

Kimura was poisoned in police custody before Nick could question him (but only after Kimura told Captain Renard there were two Grimms in Portland). Saber Face kidnapped the FBI agents investigating the boat murder and used them to lure Nick to an old lumber mill. Rosalee and Monroe called Nick as soon as he got to the mill because they had the counter-curse ready and they needed Nick to be at the hospital in 45 minutes or they'd lose their window of opportunity. The clock was ticking and as Nick promised to get there, Saber Face attacked!

While early Season 1 was hit or miss, Season 2 seems to have already learned from its predecessor's missteps. “Bad Teeth” knocked it out of the park both mythologically and story-wise, and Grimm scored a lot of points for refusing to milk its mysteries and answering questions in a way that actually enriched the world. I mean, who here wants to learn more about the Crusade Grimms? How about Dragon’s Tongue? Oooh, or what about the treasure of the Grimm Key?!?

Touching on every storyline in a meaningful way, Grimm also went the extra mile to set up conflict with Mama Nick, from her shady past to her disapproval of Nick’s Wesen friends. Even Juliette is going to get a second chance to win us over with her magical amnesia arc! With Saber Face attacking and Juliette in the balance, Grimm has gotten off on the right foot—now here’s hoping for some more MonRosalee/Mama Nick face-offs in Episode 2!

Questions:

– Who holds the other Grimm Keys?

– What is the object that can allow the Royals to rule the world? Do you think it’s something similar to the Coins (which, remember, allowed Hitler to steamroll over Europe)?

– Who was Renard talking to on the phone?

– Will Season 2 show us what kind of Wesen Captain Renard is?

– Where’s Adalind?

– What was written on the wall of the cargo container? (The part that was not illegible, according to my hasty Google translation, read, “Tonight I was blessed by the presence of one [something] but not for long.”)

– How does the Dragon’s Tongue tie into the Royals’ power struggle? Are they at cross-purposes?

Will Juliette die? The second image on this article shows she's dead... it's weird though she still has this hospital thingie..
Cannot wait for the rest of season 2! What an opener!
His name is Renard, so my money's on a fox which suits him thematically as well. (Remember the lion-dude named Leo?)
Finally,somebody noticed that his name might be a clue...and it makes a great deal of sense.In european folklore,foxes are viewed as being very cunning(he is certainly that),but in asia(the kitsune myth is not unique to japan),foxes are also very adept at shapechanging and disguises which might explain why the Captain has been able to hide his true nature from Nick over a long period of time while most of the others gave themselves away in a matter of minutes(if not seconds)after meeting the Grimm.
Love the episode, lots of action great way to start by adjusting the usual episode formula and have the Wesen of the week tie into royal families and such instead of just a random case that came across Nicks desk.

Hopefully there are other Grimms with the keys, but royal families probably already have some. And if Nick doesn't see what type of Wesen Renard is Hopefully his mom does. Or at least we see his face, and the browse over it in the book, so that we at least know what he is. But Maybe he has a spell since he was dating a witch.

Also anyone else skeptical of Nicks Mom, I really hope she's good, sticks around, and doesn't end up stabbing him the back. And can we just keep Juliette in some sort of a coma the majority of this season?
Are we sure Renard is a wesen and not just one of the royals and they have some other kind of power - supernatural, not political) - without actually being of wesen blood?
...and why can't Nick see Renard as a Wesen? I've wondered that from the beginning. It will be interesting to see how they answer that question.
The first few episodes in Season 1 mentioned that Grimms can see the true form of Wesens when they are in heigtened emotions like when they are scared,angry, etc. And since Renard knows that Nick is a Grimm, he can probably control his emotions.

Just a guess.

I thought Renard is a Hexenbeist, too.
Great episode. It wrapped up a lot of what was left from season one while still leaving some mystery. I like it. I hope that it will continue to do so through out the season. Also I hope Nick's mom doesn't overstay her welcome. While it is great that her character can provide background for all things Grimm. But I don't really want a walking talk encyclopedia of Grimm lore. Half the fun of last season was watching Nick figure things out. But it is nice to have her there to fill in the gaps.

Questions.

My guess is that most of them are held by the royals. The keys have to be held by something. Because not all of the keys can be in Portland. I mean it is a fun city and all. But I doubt they found their way there unless some type of Hipster club used them. So the likelihood of Nick being able to find all of them in Portlandia is unlikely.

Well if the 4th crusade rings any bells it was more on the Byzantium empire and led to the sacking of Constantinople. So really they could write it as anything. Which is pretty cool actually. Because during the sack of Constantinople there was many relics of Christian mythology stolen. Like blood of christ, part of the crucifix and some others that I can't recall. So if they adhere to the history of the 4th Crusade there are interesting plots which coincide very well with the struggle for power over Europe and the world. Which also makes me wonder about the excerpt of the poem used in the opening. Which is William Butler Yeats' "The Second Coming" So I wonder how deep they are going to go with the lore of the show.

Renard was talking to I imagine a family member. If he is a Royal that is seeking power, it is likely that he has a Royal Daddy that has the power that he wants. His delusion of ruling the world when he had possession of the Coins certainly lends to him wanting to be the one ruling the world. And not sharing in the least.

If Renard is actually a Wesen. If he is he is in completely in control of it because he hasn't revealed it to Nick or the Audience. He has some type of power, because people fear him. So it isn't known really if the Royals who apparently had power over the Grimm initially and Wesen in general. I would think it has to be some type of power that makes them imposing because the Wesen fear them, when if they just knew their secret and can see them the Wesen would have killed them off. I don't know really. Which makes it great because then the writers can literally go anywhere with it.

Adalind? Who knows, I am sure she is seeking out a way to get her power back. And wants to come back and deal with Nick an be with Reynard. (girls dig guys that speak French)

Didn't get to see the whole message.

My guess is the Dragon's Tongue is a faction of the royals that want the power that the royals have and the power that they desire.

Again great episode. Great review. They squeezed a lot in an hour. I wish it would have been a two hour premiere in one block, not broken up into two episodes. But celebrities apparently need to blow things up.
I hope Adalind will come back. She was so good in the episode where she lost her powers. She was so desperate and distraught. I think she's a really good actrice.
Holy crap. You when the award for the most misspelled misspelled word I have ever seen! The word is "actress".

That aside, I agree with you. When she was good she made it very hard to hate her, and that Renard flat out used her just makes her bitterness that much more sympathetic. She really does come off as a kid with too much power and mommie dearest is not helping her get a grip. An intriguingly written character.The actress does make all that work better than some others would.
lol I didn't realise. I put the french word "actrice" instead of "actress". I think you know now that I'm french. And I think you mean "won" instead of "when". ;)

hahaha. this discussion is really funny :))
You can't translate "Bad teeth" literally. You can't say "Mauvais dents" in french, it's not an expression, it's just two words. Anyway, the correct spelling would be "Mauvaises dents" or "Mauvaise dentition", but it's not an expression like in english.

And no, "dentes" doesn't exist in french. Google is inaccurate for that one.
I thought they were saying moby dents. Like big teeth.

my bad
The show has its pretty fair share of inaccurate German as well.
You're right. I would even go with "dents mauvaises" instead, if my French is not too rusty.
Does anybody do as good of a Bad Guy, as James Frain nowadays?
Remember that one Natalie Portman movie where he tried to play the love interest? Yeah, that didn't last long.
Loads of fun - nice kick off to the season!

I have never felt an hour pass in such a short period of time .I nearly lost it at the 'to be continued' part, Then I remembered they will be back next week and all is well :).

Great writing poor Juliette , I feel her story almost in the background now, mama Nick is the character I wanna know more about what has she been up to for 18years.

And can she tell the Captain is a wesen too what type. He most have powerful vuuduu to never lose his cool or how has his true form stayed hidden from Nick all these years though I bet it will be a different tale face to face with the more experienced Mama Nick.

Dont get me started about Nick's poor partner who is slowly unravelling. I would love to see how the handle the reveal for him or whatever story they gonna come up with.

All in all lots to look forward to this season....and I hope this full season and not a 10 epi one I pray

1. I bet the royal families are already in possession of the rest of them.

2. A religious artifact of some sort who knows what.

3.his brother

4.I don't think he is a Wesen. I don't think the royal families are Wesen.

5. Filming some other show?

6.no idea

7.no idea
A great episode full of answers and mystery! I look forward to the rest of the season!
"Dude. You told me she was I mean, isn't she supposed to be, like, not so alive?" AHAHA!

I do not like the new opening. It just doesn't seem to fit. The narration just makes me feel nostalgic about Buffy lol. Welcome back, Grimm!
I'm not a huge Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio fan. I don't dislike her as an actress, but every time I see her I remember she was in Robin Hood, and then I get that damn Bryan Adams song stuck in my head.
Dude that was like when the earth was young! Bear a grudge much.

She totaly knocking the series out of the park and the mysteries she brings Phew I cant wait till the writers start spilling!
Really like the premise of this series and I held my breath thinking that this would be one of those quirky one season wonders; gaining an audience but not enough ratings to survive.

Surprise it found an audience, the series has been able to sustain the writing and character development---last night's episode was terrific---that cliff hanger awaiting some kind of conclusion for next Monday night....I will watch.

I've been in and out of Portland for over forty years; after developing a taste for the characters wandering in and out of Grimm; I'll not enter a coffee house, dive bar or even a trendy bistro downtown without thinking: "Is what I see really what is in this room?"---kind of makes one wonder remembering those late nights out and about in downtown Portland---did I miss the opportunity to walk on the wild side? Move over Portlandia; your satire has nothing on Grimm.
Good start to a great show. Like you said, they seemed to touch on everyone's storylines, and did it very well.
Bad Teeth? For someone with bad teeth, this Mauvais Dents seemed to have excellent teeth. For a moment I thought this monster was English, not French... (Sorry, bad teeth joke.) Perhaps the original intention of the name was Evil Teeth or something?

Looks like Juliette won't remember a thing about Nick's confession and all that build up, up to his Grimmness confession, was for nothing.

"Will Season 2 show us what kind of Wesen Captain Renard is?"

What makes you think he is a Wesen to begin with? I'm not convinced of that.

All in all, great episode. Eager to see the next.
It could be as simple as they have big ass teeth and are bad news.
Actually, he's not a Marnassier. He's a Mauvais Dentes. At least, that's what it said on my closed captions, and that's what it says on the show's Facebook page.

Just sayin'.
That's right. Actually it should be Mauvais Dents, in French. Dentes is Portuguese, and perhaps Spanish too.
Dientes, in Spanish is dientes.
So Mauvais Dentes is half French, half Portuguese for all we know. Well, we all know that the translators for Grimm
aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the box. They make up names and words that sound like German it French all the time
Great Episode. After reading your recap i thought "wow, all this really happend in 45 minutes".

It's like the characters and writers really found there footing and getting bolder with the mythology and storyarcs. I am just afraid that Juliettes conditions is a reset button, allowing the writers to essentailly keep her boring. Although i never thought about her that way, i could understand if other people do.

Seeing the fight between Kimura and Nick again reminded me how great it looked. And sounded. That was a really good fight scene. I don't know something about it. Just great.

The only thing i would complain about is the scene where the harbor patrol guy open the container. I don't know what i'd do if i open a container filled with blood and bodyparts but going in there and just saying "eww" without thinking about what might have done this and the fact that whatever it was is probably still in there would definetly not be on top of my list.
Good episode but I could do without the hero's mommy issues. Those story lines work in a 90210-esk universes but it is hard to understand how a hero could be hung up on "mom wasn't there" when chasing/being chased by monsters, fiance in the hospital and a messed up partner.
Wow. I think your being a little harsh, he just found out that both the women who raised him (first his mom, then his aunt) lied to him about the death of his mother! I don't it's "mom wasn't there" it's "I grew up with the pain of losing both my parents".

And it's not like he didn't deal with all the issues facing him, it's just the emotional gut punch that is the resurrection of a dead parent, was one of those issues.
That said he never ONCE looked into it or tried to find who did it. His girlfriend did. So I think he does have issues that go beyond this and I really don't care as much as I do about some of the other developments. I agree with Rosa, that bit of melodrama got old fast and drug the story down.
Good God that episode was good. Am loving Nick's mom, please let her stick around for the whole season. Two Grimms being around is already awesome. The Marnassier just became of of my favorite Wessens. Not what he did to those poor people but just how he looks. The mystery of my boy Renard just keeps getting interesting. Who and the hell was he talking to on the phone? Probably another Royal. I expect Adalind will show again preyty soon. And Nick, for God's sake tell Hank what the hell is really going on. The guy is sitting in his couch with gun in his hand wondering if something is going to burst through the door. Tell the man. Don't think the whole Juliet the Sleeping Beauty will last the whole though I think she will lose a chunk of memory and Nick will try to bring them back.
Your translation is almost perfect.

Ce soir j'ai ete beni par la presence d'un (m.r.n?) mais pas pour longtemps.

"Tonight I was blessed by the presence of a (?) but not for long."

On the left wall it was written :

Aujourd'hui j'ai mange, c'etait bon. ..(?).. mer

"Today I ate, it was good ...(?).. sea"

(I had to remove the accents, it's not working here.)

I think that Juliette's story will be along the lines of Snow White/ Sleeping beauty. Adalind's mom mentioned something along those lines when she was talking to Renard over the phone and the image of Nick and Juliette above certainly points to that.
Wow, was that a way to start a season! That episode had more content than ten episodes from season one put together. Yes, some thing had to be left out, like what is going on with Hank, but I'm sure those things will be dealt with later. As you said, the writers have clearly listened to the fans and moved up one gear. They did give many answers in this episode.

What I'm still confused about is the relationship between the players; Grimms, Royal Houses, The Verrat, Wesen, Reapers, Dragon's Tongue, The Resistance, etc. How they are connected hasn't been explained sufficiently well. Many of them have been said to be working together as well as fight against each other at the same time. And I'm afraid this won't be explained well enough even in the future. Why would for example Reapers and Grimms work for The Verrat if the Reapers are hunting Grimms? And why are The Seven Houses seemingly suspicious of Grimms' activities and seek to control them? Why do Grimms agree to this?
A little confused: how did the ship in the "North Atlantic" ten days earlier get to Portland? I suppose it could have gone through the Panama Canal, but they do have inspectors there, too...
I thought the exact same thing.
Ever since I've been on holiday to Whitby. First thing I think of when I see a boat on a stormy sea in a opening of a film or show is, Vampire. I'm sure that was the Idea behind it as the sabertooth could easily been a vampire. Grimm is clever in that way twisting things just a little bit.

I thought it was a good episode, bit expo heavy, but the organic way they recapped last season was good.
p.s. With a bit of fantasy the sabertooth creature in the above picture even looks a bit like Max Schreck.
I just hope we are not going in the whole amnesia direction with Juliette where she will wake up and not remember Nick and he will have to let her go or try to rebuilt his relationship with her. Hopefully, it will just be the loss of the recent memories of Nick revealing he is a Grimm and possibly the whole proposal incident. Unfortunately this will mean that she is back to being in the dark about things but it is better than her not remembering anything.
I'm glad they started this season pretty strong, because I enjoy this show, and there's some heavy competition out there. I enjoyed Monroe and Rosalee meeting Mama Nick scene.
episode was awesome .& James Frain was in it& i am quite sure he is gonna have big role in this season.Monroe always gets the best dialogue