Haven Ends with a Few Big Reveals and One Heck of a Cliffhanger Cliche

I’ve got to give Haven’s season finale credit: It answered a few questions I didn’t even know I had. But Friday’s episode might have been too little, too late, because it capped off an uneven second season. While I’ll gladly tune in to a third if SyFy renews the series, I’m not sure the audience is there. And can anyone really blame viewers for bailing?

My frustration comes from being a fan of Haven since the beginning. I have a fondness for the fictional town and its inhabitants, particularly Audrey Parker (or whatever her real name is) and Duke Crocker. I’m invested in their stories, and I tune in every week to see what happens next.

More often than not, I’m disappointed, because Haven still hasn’t figured out how to pace its season-long mysteries. Season 2 gave us a bunch of frivolous monsters-of-the-week—few of which were all that interesting—followed by an exposition- heavy finale. While the show has improved, it’s still not strong enough for me to grab friends’ arms and insist, “You have to watch this show.” That’s the kind of word-of-mouth that an under-the-radar cable series like Haven needs, and I don’t know that it’s ever merited that much enthusiasm.

The season finale did, at least, offer some much-needed answers. “You were Lucy,” Vince told Audrey. “Before that, Sarah. Before that, we’re not sure.” Okay, we still don’t know who (or what) Audrey really is, but we now have some sense of her purpose here. She returns to help the people of Haven whenever the troubles start up—or maybe she somehow brings them with her? (My money’s on the latter. Sorry, Audrey.) Each time she arrives, she forms new memories, which explains the two Audrey Parkers. But who is the agent who brought the fake Audrey to Haven? And what are Vince and Dave still holding back?

The finale also explained Duke’s role: The Crocker family's “trouble” is the ability to end other families’ curses. If Duke kills a troubled person, he ends the cycle for good. This brought an important conflict to the episode, and it’s something the series would do well to explore in the future. One of Duke’s most interesting traits is his faulty moral compass, so I like the idea of Haven forcing him to weigh one person’s life against the greater good. If I’m right and Audrey is somehow responsible for the troubles, wouldn’t killing her end Haven’s problems permanently?

Unfortunately, these big reveals weren’t enough to make up for Season 2's many hit-or-miss episodes. Because Haven is so committed to creating weekly self-contained stories, there wasn’t enough development leading up to the big finale. Duke’s resentment should have been building all season; as it stands, he doesn’t really feel like a believable threat to Audrey. On the other side of that coin are Nathan’s feelings for Audrey. We know he’s in love with his partner because he told his dead father as much, but Haven has done a shoddy job of showing the evolution of their relationship, or any chemistry between them. Audrey kissed Nathan last week, because—I don’t know, it was time? That’s about as much explanation as we got.

Add to that a silly cliffhanger finale involving Nathan, Duke, and a gunshot. It’s one of the most glaring season-finale clichés, and it comes across here as a Hail Mary plea for another season. Can SyFy really leave Haven fans hanging like that? Frankly, it sure can, and the responsibility rests on the series’ shoulders. I’d be disappointed if the network didn’t see this story through, but no more disappointed than I have been by Haven’s inconsistency.

What did you think of Haven's second season? Will you tune in for Season 3 if SyFy renews the show?

Jul 23, 2012
God, what an end! All I can say is the second season left me very frustrated. I certainly cannot wait for the 3rd one. And the season finale is completely unrelated to Nathan, Duke, the Gunshot and a missing Audrey/Lucy, Sarah. It definitely leaves me begging for a third season to see how far the secrets go
Jun 14, 2012
I agree Season 2 was hit and miss, but I can't wait for Season 3 or at least a 2h conclusion to wrap everything up.
Feb 02, 2012
I really can't wait for a new haven. I hope a season 3 of haven comes out
Jan 19, 2012
I am a big fan of Haven, and I can not wait until it return. The cliff-hanger was something. So yes I will be watching it when it returns
Jan 10, 2012
They are all ghosts and exist in the purgatory that is Haven. Lighten up Louis, this is a fun show and should not be taken so seriously. All good SyFy series should have episodes that stand on their own merit. There is way too much soap opera type shows on TV now.

Call it cheesy, hokie or whatever you want but it delivers the most important criteria; FUN! Escape into the world that is Haven and enjoy.
Oct 06, 2011
I love this show but agree that this season was too monster of the week then slams you with 2 episodes that are mind blowing. Also like 'oh shit we only have 2 episodes left to get all this in.'

Will I watch a third season... HELL YES! If they can't even this out in Season 3, I doubt Season 4 will happen.

I like the actors, the town (I want to go there on my next trip), the ideas behind it. It just needs to move a little faster as an overall story.

As for Audrey and Nathan's kiss, I thought it was cute. Also I actually thought the cliff hanger was going to be Nathan not showing up for their date- the whole 'we can't date because I'm protecting you' bullshit. Then she opened the door and got tazed. Glad I was wrong.
Oct 06, 2011
it's a nice show, but it could be a lot better, i don't think its cheesy or lame like someone said. instead, i think that maybe someone is not putting enough effort into it. the case of the week type episodes, could have been a good idea, if there was a little more development behind it or if the "troubes" shown in it were more interesting or creepier, like in season 1. i do want a 3rd season, but i also want them to spend enough time thinking in what could be a nice way to put the info behing the every week cases.
Oct 06, 2011
I love the show to bits and pieces, it's one of my favorites, but yes it IS cheesy.
Oct 06, 2011
Um your review doesn't make much sense. The ratings have been pretty steady throughout the season with high of/over 2 million. And I really have to laugh at anyone who takes this show seriously. It was never meant to be groundbreaking or smart. It's a silly show, cheesy and lame, it's supposed to entertain you, nothing more.
Oct 04, 2011
I like Haven its a good show. I think somethings could be better I liked the episodes with Edge and Jason Priestly . I watch mainly to find out who and what Audrey is. I think she is troubled herself kind of the Yin to Dukes Yang she starts troubles he ends them. I hope there is another season. Oh and whats with Nathan having that tattoo the whole time and not telling anyone. I cant be the only one who saw that
Oct 04, 2011
There's going to be a Haven Christmas episode http://video.syfy.com/shows/haven/promos_trailers_15/christmas-episode--haven/v1359641
Oct 04, 2011
I really enjoyed season 2 and hope that it gets picked up for a third.
Oct 04, 2011
I stopped watching it in the middle of season 2. Nathan is wooden in every single scene and yet he's still there. I can't take that anymore.
Oct 04, 2011
HE CAN'T FEEL! Of course he's going to have a stony disposition.
Oct 04, 2011
I remember that :) But I mean he's absolutely emotionless even when we are supposed to believe he loves Audrey or cares about someone. I guess I just don't like the actor and the whole Nathan+Audrey thing looks forced and not believable at all for me.
Oct 04, 2011
I'm beginning to think that the troubles are Audrey's doing. She could be a witch that cursed the town and has forgotten it.
Oct 04, 2011
Love Haven, and really hope they'll get a third season.
Oct 04, 2011
I think that syfy does a horrible job of promoting their shows. I found out about Alphas here and had to keep checking to see when it aired because it's just the kind of show I want to watch. I saw the title Haven when I was flipping through channels but was uncertain as to what it was about so never caught the 1st season. I actually, decided to watch the 1st ep of season 2 and Im a fan. I just wish it was better advertised so that I would have caught season 1. Yes, I will tune in if they get a season 3.
Oct 04, 2011
I liked the finale and will def tune in for a third season (hoping it gets renewed). The Syfy channel needs actual sci-fi type shows and without Haven - they honestly don't have many left (Sanctuary and Alpha's and Warehouse 13) - this is because of Eureka being cancelled.

I still enjoy the show and look forward to watching it every week. Hopefully they'll renew Haven - it's still a good show - they just need to get different writers for the third season.
The finale was unbelievable good so yes/ or hope for a season 3 :P
Oct 04, 2011
Even with all its flaws, it is still a good show, and I hope it gets renewed for a third season.
Oct 04, 2011
I love this show!! I'm glad we finally figured out who Lucy/Audrey is (kind of) and to be honest I've been waiting for some sort of Nathan relationship and wasn't surprised when it finally happened. And I must say, the Crocker trouble makes me very excited for season 3!
Oct 04, 2011
I stopped watching this show somewhere in the middle of season 1 because I couldn't stand the complete lack of any logic. I am stunned to see that this hasn't been cancelled yet. Wow! Congratulations, some great shows were not so lucky.
Oct 04, 2011
i really hope a season 3 the show was always good a few episodes that weren't so good but it is starting to get better a thrid season is a must they can't leave it at that
Oct 04, 2011
I really enjoy watching Haven and will continue to watch it for sure if there's a 3rd season. I enjoy the characters and the mysteries and that was a good cliffhanger to me. Hope there is a 3rd season.
Oct 04, 2011
I really enjoy the series but they do need to reveal more sooner and build the story lines better. I will watch as many seasons as they make though! I hope to find out more in a third season at the least!
Oct 04, 2011
I love the show, and I'm in for however many seasons SyFy decide to make.
Oct 04, 2011
I love the show, I love Audrey Parker (and Emily too), I love the stories, I love the characters ... you know what I mean ? OF COURSE I will tune in for season 3, 4, 5 ... if Syfy renews it, because Syfy doesn't renew it, here in Spain we are going to be very angry with Syfy, REALLY ANGRY.
Oct 04, 2011
I don't think Audrey brings the troubles with her, she wasn't there when Nathan got his which he explained came from a fight with Duke.. but the whole kill them to save them is a tired plotline
Oct 04, 2011
I absolutely will tune in for season 3. I think season 2 is a big step up in regard to season 1.
Oct 04, 2011
The Season 2 finale definitely worked for me. Every episode has had some kind of connection to the troubled and Audrey at the end, so I totally disagree with you on that angle. While the finale did answer some questions, the fact that Crocker can cure 'the troubled" and the did-he-shoot-him-or-not part left a couple of good questions unanswered. How can you not be interested in that if you watch the show?! Well, I for one am, and I very much look forward to a third season, if there will be one.
Oct 03, 2011
While I'll gladly tune in to a third if SyFy renews the series, I'm not sure the audience is there. And can anyone really blame viewers for bailing?

Really? You're not sure the audience is there. Looks like you need to see how many people watches the show, for a Friday night show. Have you even checked the ratings? Sorry, I didn'it like your review. The season was very strong, great performances and well... I can't waste my time being here anymore. Haven ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 03, 2011
One of the more important things Vince mentioned was that in addition to not knowing who Audrey is, they don't know where she goes in between. It seems Dave has sided with the Crockers and Vince is siding with the Sarah/Lucy/Audrey and we're led to believe (*spoiler*) that Sarah was Vince's fiance; this conflict has people on each side, but so far Duke and Audrey haven't agreed to have any part in it. Another question we never got answered is why did Duke get crazy super powers when he cut Dwight? Dwight's conversation with Dave implied that this was expected, so is this is part of Dwight's power or Duke's?

I agree with your assessment on the season. I hadn't noticed it as much, while watching, but the pacing was pretty uneven. The biggest build up was Duke and Evie (sp?), but then she died out of the blue. The Rev had built up for a couple of seasons, but then as soon as Duke started down the path to figuring out his past, he died. Nathan being Chief wasn't really explored for much more than one episode. Audrey and Duke both found out their secrets in the second to last episode (one of my favorites this year), but the big reveals happened simultaneously. The chemistry and looks between Nathan and Audrey were there... during the first season. We got to see Nathan's revelations about her being able to touch him, so I would've expected that for a close during the first season. Great show, but they need to compartmentalize less and not be afraid to let things spill out into multiple episodes. The mystery and hushed whispers about the troubles during the first seasons did way more for suspense. As much as I want to find out what Vince and Dave know, the show would do better if they let the pair begin to shroud the town in mystery again, revealing only bits and pieces to spark curiosity and debate.
Oct 03, 2011
I'll watch season 3 for sure!
Oct 03, 2011
2nd Season was much better than 1st. 1st was a recycling of other sci-fi shows, including X-files. BUT still sentimental scenes suck. The episodes were uneven. The finale was atrocious. They tied a lot of ends in a hurry and still managed to waste time in strange scenes like the one where Nathan & Audrey are standing up next to each other and Nathan basically tells Audrey not to trust Duke. That scene looked sooo uncomfortable... Won't cry if it gets cancelled...
Oct 03, 2011
The clues that Nathan like Audrey were always there, but they were subtle.
Oct 03, 2011
it is a good show but i wont be affected if it got canceled
Oct 03, 2011
It is a very good show, one of the few that I look for every week. It has an interesting story, it is not perfect, but I definitely like it.
Oct 03, 2011
how many episode have haven this season

on imdb tehey are 13
Oct 03, 2011
I stopped watching about halfway through the second season, and although I like what I hear about Audrey and Duke, I've lost faith in them making decent storylines out of it, so I'm not tuning in for season three.
Oct 03, 2011
I loved this second season, even more than the first one and of all the series I am following in the winter and the summer seasons, Haven's finale had the most striking cliffhanger -lucy's abduction, not the "who shot whom" scene- (however I dont watch Fringe, it's finale might have been more spectacular:D) and I totally disagree that the story was not built up through the season.. in every episode there was something about the past and in the last three episodes a lot of questions were answered with even more questions raised.. It also was great to see that Duke had a trouble too.. there is still so much unanswered regarding Vince and Dave, their deal with the troubles and Lucy and other stuff, I hope the next season will be revealing some of their mystery too.. I waited for each new episode this season, and will definitely tune in for the third season.. I would be very, very pissed if they dont renew it.. and since I watched the first episode I have been grabbing my friends arms saying "you have to watch this!":)
Oct 03, 2011
Also, did anyone else seem to notice that they managed to get Duke at almost every single crime scene this season? I kept thinking - especially when he took the box to the rich woman at the wedding - okay this is a little too convenient. Now we have a crime here too?
Oct 03, 2011
yeah by the end of the episode i was like OMG that's IT!!!!, but if SyFy leave us hanging like that then no more SyFy shows for me :D:D
Oct 03, 2011
Louis, you nailed absolutely every one of my irks with Haven this season. 1.) Because Nathan can feel Audrey and ONLY Audrey I was expecting some sentimental moment, where she leans against him or touches his arm, and they get locked into a lusty stare down which results in the first kiss. Instead, it seemed like the writers were rushed into getting the potential relationship on screen. Ick. 2.) This season has bounced all over the place, and killing Duke's ex wife and the Rev before the finale seemed kind of - lackluster? It would have been better if we had seen more transpire between the Duke>Rev>Ex triangle in a final show down (also seemed kinda cheap that Audrey shot the Rev and not Duke... imagine how interesting it would have been to see Duke's character try to come to terms with killing the Rev.) My gripe is, you could have finished watching Season 1 and watched the last 2 episodes of Season 2 without wondering, "Wait, what happened here?" *Shrug* I'm used to Fringe and Lost style story-telling, where we learn something new or get a new question every week. At best, Haven is a sci-fi procedural. Oh well. I still like it. I like that quirky theme song, the quirky town, and Vince and Dave. I'll keep watching, but I agree that I wish I had more incentive to get other people to watch it.
Oct 03, 2011
I've been watching each episode a week or two after they aired and then it's mostly felt like a chore. Only reason I watched this episode so fast (without even realising it was the finale) was that the episode before that was kinda interesting.

I'll tune in for a third season but won't care if they cancel it..
Oct 03, 2011
Oh, I'm definitely waiting for another season and I really hope there will be one. Awesome finale! Loved it so much. Simply freaking awesome.

Well, of cause there were some inconsistencies during the 2 season with the main story arch, but I love the show nonetheless.
Oct 03, 2011
i hope there is a third season, syfy would be idiots if they didnt renew it
Oct 03, 2011
meh its nice we finally got some info but at the same time it didn't fill the huge gap we have for more. though the duke backstory which came surprisingly up and i never saw coming was great to have. and his ability doesn't end there either as he can absorb peoples abilities through blood contact as well temp so that does make him technically the most dangerous of all the troubled as he could in theory take down anyone if he could control it.
Oct 03, 2011
I really love this show. I'd tune in if it was renewed for a third season.

I think there was some chemistry between Nathan and Audrey, but I do think they could have played it up a whole lot more - a few longing looks or whatever can't really suffice.

I'm with you on Haven still trying to find its groove, but I am going to say that this season was WAY better than last season. I'm hoping-hoping-hoping we get another.
Oct 03, 2011
I really like this show, but I have wanted sparks to fly between Audrey and Duke, it seems like a better match to me, and would be a better story with Dukes new conflict.