Hayden wanted in Japan

"Save the cheerleader, save the world" may have been the mantra for the first season of Heroes, but the mantra for said cheerleader is "Save the dolphins, save the whales."

Late last month, Heroes' Hayden Panettiere joined in on rescue efforts to save dolphins from being slaughtered by fisherman in Japan. With other animal enthusiasts, the 18-year-old actress paddled out into the ocean on a surfboard to try and disrupt a dolphin massacre. Though they gave their best efforts, it is believed that the hunt went on as planned.

Now, it appears that she isn't welcome back to the island country. The actress told E! that the Japanese police have issued a warrant for her arrest for her dolphin-loving actions. Her actions garnered a lot of press, but it's highly unlikely that any serious consequence will come of them.

"I guess [the Japanese police] could come here and get us, but probably not," she said. She seemed unfazed by the legal issue, though. "I'd do it again...might do it again."

In other Heroes news, Japanese actor Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa has been accused of domestic assault against his girlfriend in Hawaii, reports The Honolulu Advertiser. Tagawa recently played The Swordsmith in Heroes, appearing in Hiro Nakamura's feudal Japan storyline. He has also appeared in the films Memoirs of a Geisha and Pearl Harbor.

Heroes airs Monday nights at 9 p.m. on NBC. For more information on the show, read TV.com's previous coverage.

Yeah, yeah she could have done this and could have done that... at least she stud up to what she believed in.
Although we cant quite understand if it was just her being a spoiled brat or if its a real and noble action.
Hope its all for the best...
there are many cows but there are few dolphins in the oceans and she is doing great.
cows are bred to be killed and our going to exist for a very long time because of humans. dolphins though are wild, if people bred dolphins then it would be ok. but since they dont even if some arent endangered now they will be.
Come on, its all a bunch of crap, Japan deserves to arrest her ass. People who protest and do stupid stuff like this, deserve to get themselves arrested...PERIOD.

See yaz bye.
why doesn't she try to save the cows? Are they not cute enough? Americans eat cows Japanese people eat dolphins. If she's not a vegetarian she's a hypocrite.
iirc there are only three endangered species of dolphins, and they are in Pakistan, the amazon, and India . . .

people like to tie whales and dolphins together, but only the former and not the latter are endangered

I don't know if there are more people with hard ons for Hayden or for the dolphins >_>

jokes aside there's a lot of ignorance in previous comments, just because someone doesn't share the same belief as you about hunting non-endangered animals why ridicule them?

Dolphins commonly hunted in japan-
Striped:Conservation Dependent
Spotted:Conservation Dependent Risso's:No watch list
Bottle nose dolphins:stable
False Killer Whale:Least Concern
Orca:Conservation Dependent
Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa? Isn't that the guy from Nash Bridges? Now that I think about it, he looks like a woman beater
eh, ppl gotta wat...
The second part seems to be bigger "news" than the part about Hayden.
Good job Hayden show those barbarians whats right, just don't get caught going back to Japan any time soon.
Nice!!!
things like this can only get nasty. on one hand, you ARE intruding on japanese culture. however, i believe that cultural traditions can become outdated, and things need to be looked at in a practical sense. man do we really have to kill dolphins and whales just cuz we've always been doin that? they are such beautiful and intelligent creatures that i believe it's cruel to kill them. and endangered too. a great dilemma these type of things pose.
Good on her.

All those Japanese laws are absolutly pathetic and all the Japanese did was make themselves look bad because id back Hayden way before id back them.
What did she do? I don't know what the laws are in Japan, but I can't see them being TOO severe for interfering with fishing. Probably a small fine or something.

This story seems to be making a lot out of almost nothing. Saying "Hayden wanted in Japan" makes it sound like "Hayden wanted dead or alive in Japan for triple-homicide" when it's probably more like "Hayden needs to pay small fine in Japan".
Dougo13 - you got it exactly right.
Looks like a lot of people support her not doing it than saying she did the right thing as the comments prove....
Publicity is always good they say.
Good for her for standing up for what she believes in, though I think it's more for publicity. It's not like she did it before she was famous. Having said that, she still broke the law. Face the consequences. I'm reminded of when Superman (was it in 3?) tried to rid the world of nukes and then made a big speech at the end about how it will only happen when the world cries out for a ban and the worlds leaders listen. Yes, it is also about a "circle of life" and the devastation may only come to fruition in a few generations. I also agree that charity does begin at home. Theres a lot of domestic issues that she could have become involved with. I'd like to see her and some REAL stars take a stand on something as controversial as stem cell research. Both sides have valid arguments. At some point a compromise may need to be mediated. Unless it's for pure sport, the whaling and dolphin industry needs to be substituted with something else. For many people it is a livelihood, and props certain economies, as well as being traditional. A real conundrum.
Bottom line, whether we agree or disagree, a law was broken. Does end justify the means? Did she really achieve anything? And if Japan really went after her with extradition, would she cry for her Uncle named Sam to step in? I'd like to see her do time and then talk about conservation.
being WANTED, but for a good cause. thats simply awesome. HEROES SEASON 3 "save the dophins, save the world".
this is a lot more interesting than the actual show.... booooooo
I don't see why people get so provoked because of what Hayden did. I think it's great and she shows that she cares about other things than just make-up and clothes.

Saying its in the Japanese traditions doesn't make it okay, here in Norway we have a whale killing tradition but that doesnt mean it is right (because it's really awful). The sea is full of all kinds of other fish! I don't even consider protest charges a crime, actually I think it shows that people are engaged and care. Which we all have to agree is a good thing!
Gee, I sure hope that maybe someday some cute little Swedish actresses will come to the USA and work on our HOMELESSNESS problem. People are on top of dolphins, right? I guess not in the USA though...
once again an american decide for what's right for other people wow shocking !!! i'm sorry i know it's horrible to slaughter animals but it's their culture she has no right to do it it's not because she's some freaking starlet that breaking the law is hot it's just stupid!!!
Oh yes she's such a hero, because more law breaking stars is exactly what we need as an example to the youth.

Americans killed off hundreds of Indian tribes (not an insult, just pointing out), but please do save the dolphins. But why would they try to fix their own problems, when they can go to Japan and save the poor animals.
It is a matter of respecting other culture and history. What Americans value is not always someone values.
I am glad she did it. The Japanese need to stop the slaughter of dolphins.
For Australian's Isabel Lucas (Home & Away) who was also there is also wanted
oh no your right I had no idea that protests were already happening. I thought she just came up with this idea herself. A real innovator. That was sarcasm btw. Oh my word some people are just stupid.
What amuses me is that all these people crying out "save the dolphins" probably have no idea that other people who aren't TV stars go out and do what Hayden did every single day.
Go Hayden! I could not watch someone kill whales or dolphines. Or cows for that matter. I love meat and chicken and some seafood. But I wouldn't want to watch them get killed. And for those of you that don't see what's wrong with killing whales and dolphines because we eat chickens and cows. Would/do you eat horses, monkeys, bugs, cats, dogs, and so on??
Well, I have to respect the fact that shes willing to put herself out there for something she believes in. Id like to see any of you people bashing her go out and risk your life for something you believe in. Even if there are important causes here at least she has the courage of her convictions. To that I say to her, "Good for you!"
There is one very simple difference between the hunting of whales and dolphins and eating cows, chickens and pigs: extinction and conservation. Some mammals are plentiful, and replenishable, while others are so in danger that some species have already become extinct. It is believed that one species of dolphin has already become extinct, and a number of whale and dolphin species are on various endangered lists or on the brim of being added.

Cow = plentiful
Whale = endangered

I'm all for the meat eating, but I'm certainly not going to kill off an entire species just for some tasty food when there are alternative tasty animals available.

Go Hayden!
What about the media? If our "cheerleader" had not been in Japan protesting the massacre of dolphins, we would never have even been aware that such events where occurring. The problem is that there have already been stories about the dolphins being killed in Japan becuase of the their dangerously high levels of mercury, which poses a threat to all who consume them including children who are fed dolphin as part of their school lunches. It was only when a celebrity became involved that the news started to spread like wildfire, but the news that spread only talked about the killing of dolphins in Japan and how Hayden was a true hero. The serious problem of the danger of eating the tainted dolphins was nowhere to be found, or what the dolphin industry means to the economic survival of many Japanese, or the historical and traditional aspects of dolphins in the culture of many Japanese. I have no issue with killing living animals (dolphins, cows, fish, anything) when it is done in accordance with the law (the dolphins being killed are located in area where a loophole exists in international law), which includes the specific species being killed, treatment before death, the killing itself, the total number killed, and the safety of the final food product, just to name a few things. Even though there are laws to protect the animals and the humans consuming the end product, they are far from universal, differing even state to state so imagine from country to country, nor are the laws that are in place enforced. I understand that people have so many different opinions on this issue and on the numerous other issues it raises, but that is the case with everything in life. Even though Hayden was not going to stop any dolphins from being killed when she paddled out into Japenese water at least maybe something productive can come from her actions. I am still mad that the media only ran with this story because of her, but they ran. I am not saying go paddle out too; I am not saying anyone must do anything. But, I am saying that maybe something productive can come from this, not lots of people going ohh stop killing the poor dolphins or whatever is done somewhere else is not our business, but the actual gaining of knowledge and how to use that knowledge (maybe closing the loophole allowing the killing of dolphins in that area or maybe measures to ensure that the dolphin meat is safe to consume that might make the ocean and ecosystem healthier or maybe finding where the mercury making the meat unsafe is coming from or maybe it won't take a celebrity news story to make an issue popular and deserving of attention and instead maybe already being aware of the issue). As cliched as it sounds, knowledge is power. Side Note: I still love Heroes and Hayden and I am just as guilty as the next for consuming all the celebrity news/gossip I can.
I like that she has values like she does and that admirable, but she has to realize that the law is the law be it ours or theirs. She said she might do it again but that's childish, there are other ways to fight such a battle and they are much more legal. As for that warrant, let the US deal with it that's our job.
I though t I was finished, but I'm not. Someone else commented it was okay to kill them because the Japanese use them as a resource. Well let me tell you something mate. Here in Australia, a kid went out where he wasn't supposed to be and got attacked by a dingo. Now everybody knew he wasn't supposed to have venture out where he did, but they still culled the dingos. Is that fair? No. But it still happens. That kid would have been a "resource" to the dingo, but it wasn't okay. Would you be okay with it if the few tribes of cannibals that are left ventured out and started randomly killing people? No you wouldn't, but it would be a "Resource" to the cannibals, but it's not okay. These people venture out to the dolphin's territory kill heaps of them because they are "resources" and all of a sudden it's okay. That is complete BS. There are plenty of other food sources in Japan and plenty of substitutes for their hide. There is no real reason to kill them. NONE. Point blank, period. Think about it, if the tables were turned, and you were completely defenseless against another species with all different weapons, would it be okay then???
I totally agree with Pi. You can say she should mind "her own country's business" and all but in the long run it will effect everywhere. And to the person who commented on "What I hate is when people cry of saving dolphins and whales and they have never even tasted them before", they are living creatures and have a right to live! Do they go around killing people and eating them? No. They have absolutely no way of defending themselves. And quite frankly anyone who can hear all the horrific things that she saw happen and just go "oh, its all good coz they taste good" are sick people. And if anyone turns around and makes the comment "cows and whatnot are defenseless animals too" to me, I feel the same way for them too. I really admire Hayden for this. She knew the act would be more recognized with her taking part and it's great all the publicity she's getting out about this. The more people aware of just how cruel and brutal this is, the better. More power to her. And as cliche as this will sound right now, she really is my hero.
One last thing to all the people against her act, I really think you are cold cold people and I hope one day you realize how horrible this is. And if that doesn't sink in, maybe if you're alive after the dolphins are extinct you'll look back on this and realize how wrong you've been. Peace :)
to all saying that she should mind her own business: What would you do if you were her, seeing those dolphins suffering?
Yup. As I said before. Save the dolphins, but f*** the salmon and the tuna fish. It's really only because the dolphins are cute people care about them more. Oh right, I forgot, dolphins are smarter than salmon and tuna fish, therefore they have more of a right to live. Dolphins are killed as a resource over there, as are fish here. Wake up people, hundreds of people are "wanted for protesting something they believe in" everyday. Oh but Hayden is so cute, and shes in our favorite program! The dolphin slaughter is a cultral thing, and maybe it's "morally wrong", but then why is male circumcision accepted in North America, while female circumcision isn't, despite them both being just as painful? By all means, she can fight for what she believes in, but she still has to face the consequenses, and she shouldn't get special treatment for her star status.
I support Hayden and her actions even though Im not an animal rights fanatic. The hunting of whales and dolphins is pretty pointless unless its for religious means or absolutely necessary for survival, which doesnt seem to be the case here. Dolphins are very intelligent animals and deserve more respect than they get, as do most animals. It reminds me of the time I saw a video from China where people would beat conscious raccoons against the ground to stop them from fighting back while they were skinned alive for the fur moments later.
I also try to keep in mind that this disrespect of animals is a way of life for many people who dont think twice about it. My grandfather was a farmer who didnt treat his animals very well.
Hayden is my hero (pun intended).
I'm happy that Hayden is an animal lover, I just wish she wasn't so LiLo.
"Can someone tell me the different between hunting deer, eating cows, and this? Yes, I know dolphins are mammals, so are cows and deer."

The difference, playa42018, is that dolphins are the smartest mammals after us humans, more intelligent than orangutans and the other high primates. Heck, for all we know, they may even be smarter than us! Many species of whales are also very smart, although not as much as dolphins and probably not more than the high primates either.

As for winnuting: I hope you're just joking, otherwise you have shown yourself to be extremely ignorant.
Some idiot said "What I hate is when people cry of saving dolphins and whales and they have never even tasted them before."

I am SO disgusted reading the responses to this story. People can be so ignorant. All they care about is what effects them at THIS VERY MOMENT. No one bothers to look aherad at the effect things we do are going to have down the road. They sure like to complain about it when the effects hit, however, and then they'll be crying and sniveling "Why didn't our leaders do something about it back then?"! I cannot even properly state my disgust at some of the people that have responded to this story. There are not words to describe their utter stupidity. They act as though the animmals in the ocean, just because they're far away at this time, should not be our concern. Well let me let you in on a little secret, buddy......the oceans are CONNECTED. That means things done to them there will eventually effect us, since.....get ready for another revelation......fish swim! Bet you didn't know that, eh? We're currently destroying our oceans at an alarming rate......but no one will care until they're a barren wasteland, but then they'll sure have something to say. We just have no foresight at all, and the ignorance of people never ceases to amaze me. And before you call me a hypocrite, let me just say I haven't eaten anything out of the ocean in over 10 years in protest to these very travesties that go on. Another excuse is that if someone eats tuna, why not dolphin? Well, for one because dolphins are becoming endangered species! Second, because dolphins and whales are as intelligent as small children! Third, because they are an apex predator, and reducing their numbers will cause disaster and an imbalance in the food chain! Take a few zoology classes before opening your disgusting piehole and spewing more of your vile nonsense! Many other species of fish are as well. Bycatch is a big problem as well. Fishing boats/companies are too cheap to buy safer nets, so they just catch everything in their nets and throw out what they don't want. Shark fishermen in Asia catch sharks, cut off their fins, and throw the rest back without even using it! This doesn't disgust you? if not, you're mentally ill! I applaud Hayden for actually doing something positive with herself and contributing to a cause she believes in, and a dangerous one at that......unlike 99% of celebrities that make millions of dollars and only give pocket change to charities and spend their time blowing money on nonsense like it means nothing. After reading this, I'll be sure to support her future endeavors in TV and film. If I had the money, I'd be there with them....but I still do all I can here at home, as should everyone who doesn't want to see a collapse of the food chain in the oceans within our lifetime......
I love dolphins and all, but like many have said, Hayden needs to mind her own country's business. Get over yourself and start doing good for people in your country. I hope she does do it again and gets arrested.
Hayden needs to mind her own (and her country's) business. Until she moves to Japan or become a vegetarian, please shut up and act. Can someone tell me the different between hunting deer, eating cows, and this? Yes, I know dolphins are mammals, so are cows and deer.
Gosh whats their problem. I love dolphins and don't blame Hayden the way she reacted they should save the beautiful dolphins :)
Go Hayden!
28 million Americans go to bed hungry every night and poverty is worsening. Ditto in my own country. So, I'm supposed to worry about dolphins in another country? Someone's priorities are all wrong here.
What I hate is when people cry of saving dolphins and whales and they have never even tasted them before. At least try it before you cry over it, you never know you might like it. (I'm all for banning food I don't like :p)
'To the beat of your own drum', hayden. i am with you....
Load More Comments