HBO High on Aussie comedy

HBO has acquired the hit Australian comedy series Summer Heights High.

The pay cable network will launch the eight-episode mockumentary series, created, written, and performed by comedian Chris Lilley, in June.

High chronicles high-school life through three characters, all played by Lilley: Mr. G, a self-important, high-strung drama teacher; Ja'mie, a haughty, private-school female exchange student; and Jonah, a delinquent, break-dancing obsessed student. The show was shot on location at a real high school and features real-life students and faculty.

It will run in a late-night Friday comedy block with HBO's new animated comedy The Life and Times of Tim during the offseason of Real Time With Bill Maher.

HBO is already tapping into the antipodean comic sensibility with the cult hit Flight of the Conchords, starring New Zealand actors Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement.

Comments (18)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm American and since it debuted on HBO over here, I can't get enough of it. It's hilarious! Australian and American humor is not that different.
Reply
Flag
This shows actually pretty good. I don't really like most of the australian shows we have on tv. (eg the strip, rush, city homocide) bcoz they're all kinda bad, but I really liked wednesday nights on ABC whenb they had Spicks and Specks, Chasers then Summer Heights High.
Reply
Flag
Woo! Summer Heights High :D:D

It's Funny!

But i think that the americans will find it very very Stupid!
Reply
Flag
Is there any reason why a duplicate entry has been made for this show? If it is just a US airing of the same material shown in Australia, then it is still the same show.
Reply
Flag
These shows aren't funny and they aren't hits.

The TV stations in Australia already tried the old tricks of pretending if we didn't think it was funny then we "didn't get it". And, they tried telling us over and over again that the shows were hits despite nobody wanting to watch them, and it didn't work. "Kath & Kim" lost their award to "Double the Fist", a show that was on sometimes after midnight and preceded by replays of women's netball matches.

Speaking of which, bring back "Double The Fist".
Reply
Flag
Hated This when shown here in australia - americans won't get it - and most aussies didn't either
Reply
Flag
Kath and Kim is extremely funny and very cleverly written ... but if you do not get Oz culture and humour of course you are totally going to miss the point of the send-up! Shame! Cos you are missing a classic bit of tv! Not sure how it will transpose to a US version tho'. Don't think you can beat the original!
Reply
Flag
"Get your own Ideas)!
Haa! Thats rich coming from Australia where the Telly is filled with 60 percent or more Yank content. The other 40 percent is riddled with shows ripped off of Yank Telly ( hello 60 minutes ) and you think three Aussie shows on Yank Telly are some sort of landslide? Most of them regular telly watchers won't ever see! It's good to see Lilly get some recognition though, he's one talented dude!
Reply
Flag
I am not a huge fan of Kath and Kim but love Summer Heights High. Chris Lilley (he plays all 3 main characters) is a comic genius!!!!!!!

After re watching the entire series on DVD I think that most Americans will understand the jokes. Defiantly reccommend this show. If you are a fan of Weeds, Seinfeld, Arrested Development and shows like that I am sure you will enjoy Summer Heights High!!!
Reply
Flag
@ asutho
"great Australia comedey" ?
Kath & Kim is crap look at me.. look at me.. so lame
Reply
Flag
Absolutely loved the show but I wonder if American's will get the Aussie humour from Summer Heights High.
Reply
Flag
Hmm...i didnt enjoy summer heights much....seemed kinda redundant overall!
Reply
Flag
Why do they have a new page for it?
Reply
Flag
Hey HBO, it would be nice if you told us when True Blood is starting. And since the majority of your shows suck now, how about you bring back Carnivale? And is anything happening with the comic/graphic novel Preacher?
Reply
Flag
hey asutho, you call sit down, shut up a hit, that was garbage. Also the US is not remaking the show, the are re-screening it. Jonah is the best. Dictation
Reply
Flag
@asutho

they arent remaking it, they are just screening it
Reply
Flag
i love summer heights high! its soooooooo funny! Jonah is the best! 'Puck you miss!'
Reply
Flag
This is the third great Australian comedy to be remade by the US this year...
Kath & Kim
Sit Down, Shut Up
and now Summer Heights High
Get your own ideas!!!
Reply
Flag

Like TV.com on Facebook