HBO teams with iTunes

Deadwood fans can now hear Al Swearengen mutter "****sucker!" on their iPods over and over wherever they want. HBO has ended its holdout of providing digital downloads of its shows by agreeing to sell its wares on Apple's iTunes service.

The deal breaks new ground in Apple's pricing scheme, which previously capped costs for single episodes at $1.99. Under the agreement between HBO and the iPod kingdom, some HBO shows will sell for $2.99.

Currently, the three shows selling for almost three dollars are The Sopranos, Deadwood, and Rome. Sex and the City, The Wire, and Flight of the Conchords are all available for $1.99 per episode.

ABC, via Disney, was the first to offer television programs on iTunes back in 2005. Among the programs initially included were Lostand Desperate Housewives.

Originally, I didn't care for the ending. But now, I think David Chase really showed his master abilities with it.
HBO boxsets are expensive in the UK and for once that's not because of HMV and Zavvi overpricing again.

I think the only one I've ever seen being charged fairly is Flight of the Conchords (£15). The rest like Curb, Deadwood and The Wire are just asking for too much for too little. The Wire's 4th Season is something like £45-£50 and that's for 13 episodes.

Now I know shows like Deadwood and The Wire were made with fairly big budgets and neither gave great viewing figures back, so I see the reasoning with HBO trying to recoup some kind of loss; but they're really asking too much for fans to pay a high asking price.

I guess them charging $1.99/£1.50 an episode is actually a blessing (they've obviously seen the less-than-expected sales). A full season download is still going to cost you less than a DVD.
didn't this happen a while ago?
HBO has always been a complete rip off and that is the biggest reason my DVD collection is almost devoid of HBO shows. I did end up buying From the Earth to the Moon for 17 bucks at Cost Co. Anyways this is hardly a surprise and imo is just more of the same from HBO. They consider themselves above every other network currently on air. A single season of Deadwood is like 70 bucks at Best Buy and I am sorry but no show is worth 70 bucks a season. Its no wonder that illegal downloading is so popular. The only question I have is when will these networks learn that the only way to curn piracy is through fair and reasonable pricing. I consider pretty much everyon at HBO corporate is the equivelent to a moron.
Pass, not interested.
Well, assuming you just want the episodes (ie - not the DVD extras)...I guess it comes down to if itunes lets you "keep" the episodes or not. Assuming they do, that's about $39 for a season of Deadwood ($3 times 13 episodes), and they're selling them for more than that everywhere I've looked, so assuming you get to "keep" the episodes from itunes, it's not that bad of a deal. If you're just "renting" them (as I've said, I don't know itunes' policy re: "keeping" the episodes), it probably would be cheaper to go through a video store, online or otherwise. And just so "you" ("you" being plural in this case) know, you may be able to "rent" discs of episodes for free at the library, but copying them is just as illegal as copying rented or illegally downloaded episodes. I don't know if the person talking about "get them from the library" was encouraging that (I would assume not), but I just thought I'd clarify that for everyone.

-ak
well most people in this country, like me, live in places where you can't get these shows at your library. so therefore its either pay for the dvd's or pay on itunes, so its not a rip off
what a rippoff i can get the dvd at my library for free
NBC pulled its entire lineup off iTunes, just watch it for FREE on hulu.com
YAY!!!!

Now I can watch Deadwood on my computer (since I haven't seen it).

I just wish that NBC will provide tv programmes on iTunes soon.
2.99?! Torrent for free, lol. How about Netflix where you can just rent a whole disk for about a buck. These are all shows that have ended, with the exception of Rome. Hell, Go to Best Buy when they have a sale and pick up a season for 20 bucks!
No kidding! $2.99 per episode?? Ridiculous. They're not supplying the hard copy or packaging so it shouldn't cost so much.
$2.99 for a single episode? Talk about a major rip off.