Here's Every Netflix Original Program, Ranked

The pace at which Netflix has expanded its amount of original programs over the last three years cannot be underestimated. While most content producers—be they cable channels or other streaming platforms—start with a slow trickle of originals, Netflix now monopolizes the premiere calendar with new shows on the regular, to the point where only the most dedicated of bingers can be truly caught up on them all. If you’re not one of those people, you probably need some guidance on where to begin. Consider this some assistance. Below you’ll find Netflix’s original shows ranked from the absolute dirt worst to the best of the best, timed with a rare break in Netflix's onslaught of original programs. (We did a staff vote in August, but there's been enough new shows that I figured it's time for an update.)

A quick clarification before we begin: This list includes only those scripted shows commissioned by Netflix, where all seasons have aired first on Netflix. So no revival seasons or co-partnerships. (Sorry, Lilyhammer and Longmire stans.) It also doesn’t include the platform’s programs for kids, which I’m sure are good-to-fine, but I just haven’t seen. Make sense? Of course it does. Let's get to it.

20. FLAKED

If you watched the first few episodes of Flaked and thought, "Wow, this doesn't have a point, huh?" you're in for a real treat. Once Flaked actually does get to its "point," the Will Arnett "I Swear I Can Be Serious Too" vehicle is astoundingly dull, needlessly ponderous, and seemingly dedicated to insulting the audience's intelligence. This is the least essential show of 2016.

19. FULLER HOUSE

I knew this show was not being made for me. The problem is that I'm not sure the people involved in making it know who they're making it for, either. The Fuller House pilot is one of the more excruciating viewing experiences of my adult life. Future episodes showed legitimate improvement and produced the occasional laugh, but this is perhaps society's clearest example of empty nostalgia run wild.

18. HEMLOCK GROVE and 17. MARCO POLO

Two shows that have their fans and appreciators and periodically do watchable things within the confines of their respective genres (Hemlock Grove's horror and Marco Polo's historical epic). But also two shows that would rather reinforce some of the blander conventions of those genres while stumbling into watchable moments.

16. HOUSE OF CARDS

You either die a prestige drama or you live long enough to be a poorly-constructed soap pretending to be a prestige drama. I'm glad House of Cards has gone on this long, because it feels like we have, collectively, embraced the truth that it's not a good show. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright are fantastic, even in their increasingly broad performances, but the fervor of this sucker has died down with good reason.

15. F IS FOR FAMILY

This is a turning point in the list. From here onward, you could interchange these shows pretty easily based on your taste, but they're all solid. At just six episodes, F Is for Family is the easiest watch of this bunch, which counts for a whole lot when we're talking about a platform that loves nothing more than extending episodes, seasons, and series far beyond their normal limits. Bill Burr's animated family sitcom is sharp and funny, if you can move beyond the angry yelling of it all.

14. BLOODLINE

If you can make your way through all 13 episodes of Bloodline Season 1, you'll be pretty satisfied. The problem, of course, is that large chunks of episodes leading into those final few hours are a significant slog. At least with Bloodline that seems intentional; it's sleepy, sun-drenched, and exhausting, like a long day on the beach that ends with someone dying. (Season 2 premieres in May.)

13. THE CHARACTERS and 12. W/BOB AND DAVID

Good sketch comedy is still hit or miss. Chances are high that you actively dislike portions of The Characters or the Mr. Show revival W/Bob and David that I very much enjoy, and vice versa. The Characters is a far more inventive idea—give up-and-coming comedians total control and half an hour to make a sketch show—the kind of thing Netflix should be doing on the reg, but it's hard to ignore the charms of another round of ideas from Bob Odenkirk and David Cross. Again, these two receive some bonus points for not being insufferably long.

11. GRACE AND FRANKIE

Great cast, better-than-expected jokes, completely watchable. I didn't dislike Grace and Frankie at all, but I'm not going to fight you about it either. Right in the middle seems fair.

Next: The Top 10 and the User Poll!

< 1 2
See Full Story
Jun 17, 2016
This list is garbage. House of Cards is the best
May 05, 2016
I never heard of Flacked. Wish Bojack Horseman would be on Adult Swim.
May 04, 2016
yeah... Cory is an idiot. House of Cards and Marco Polo are fantastic shows
May 01, 2016
Wet hot American summer came 8th!!! Even the viewers on Netflix have rated this 2 stars. This was as funny as the first time I cracked my nuts on my crossbar when I was a kid. After my circumcision I couldn't urinate as my urethra was clotted with blood that was the most painful experience of my life, until I watched Wet hot American summer!
Apr 28, 2016
Wow. So Cory, you and I are not best friends. With a few exceptions, if I reverse the order of this list it's pretty close to how I would vote.
Apr 27, 2016
you didn't even rank Between, mush for brains.

stellar effort on your already buttfuckingly awful list, loser ; )
Apr 27, 2016
f'n horrendous list

what a shocker from TV dot dipshits!
Apr 25, 2016
Voted for

Bojack Horseman (which is the best of the lot)
Kimmy Schmidt
Master of None
Orange Is The New Black

Last year I would have added Daredevil to that list, but Season 2 was an unholy mess.
Apr 23, 2016
My favorite at this time is Master of None. I really enjoy OITNB, but I think it has gone down in quality, so now I'm much more excited to see the next season of Master of None. I also like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt a lot. It's just personal taste that Master of None speaks to me more, but I've actually recommended Kimmy Schimdt to more people, since I live abroad and think that it's more accessible for people with a different cultural background.

The pilot of Grace and Frankie was great, but it ended with me feeling like the story was all wrapped up. I wasn't sure how it would work, as a long term show. I must not have been too gripped by it, because this article just reminded me it existed. I hadn't thought of it since I watched the pilot.

I watched the first episode of Wet Hot American Summer, and I just couldn't get into it. I didn't laugh once. It was fun seeing all of those actors, but I just didn't get it. I am shocked that people like it. Maybe it's because I don't really remember the movie anymore, or maybe it's just not my thing. That's ok. I don't have time to watch anything I don't really enjoy. Peak TV!

I tried to watch the pilot of Sense8, and I just couldn't slog through it. But I've heard such good things, and it's such an interesting concept. This is a situation where I'm willing to give it another try, especially if it's the case as this article says that it improves significantly after the first few episodes.

I'm planning to watch Jessica Jones at some point, and I expect to like it, but we'll see. Any chance to see Ritter and Tennant. :)

I don't really plan to even try with anything else on this list, but perhaps BoJack Horseman. I'm a bit intrigued.
Apr 21, 2016

These are great shows- I have made a list of my favorite Netflix orginal shows of all time- check them out-

top 5 Greatest Netflix original shows still airing as of April 2016
Apr 21, 2016
I was hoping to hear something about Good Morning and whether or not it's worth watching but it seems you skipped it along with quite a few others?

Also it's criminal to put Marco Polo so low.
Apr 20, 2016

rating is absurd at best. No point in reading. Random.
Apr 20, 2016
I disagree with the # 1 whole heartedly. Orange is the New Black had a great first season. Everything after that has been blah at best. Master of None should have taken this baby home. It nails everything effortlessly, and it even makes the idea of a "black virus" movie seem perfectly believable.
Apr 17, 2016
Good lord these rankings are HORRIBLE! On what planet is Orange, Jessica Jones, and freaking Sense8 better than Marco Polo and House of Cards? A vein in my head nearly burst when trying to compute how a professional TV reviewer could enjoy the former 3 hammy frolics into ridiculousness compared with MP's and HoC's absolutely marvelous acting and storytelling. Good grief Penfold!
Apr 16, 2016
Sense8 above Bojack? RIOT.
Apr 16, 2016
love david tennant but didnt like most of the rest of jessica jones

daredevil I see as okayish, but i dislike all 3 of the main characters so that's going to be difficult...
Apr 18, 2016
I guess it's like that old Simpson's gag.

Lionel Hunt: "Can you imagine a world without lawyers?" (Thought bubble pops up of children dancing hand-in-hand in a world of rainbows and bunny rabbits.)

But I really like Daredevil -- maybe it's because I'm a (lapsed) Catholic, and it's just so rare to see Catholics portrayed in anything approaching a positive light these days.

I mean, I saw a headline yesterday about Bernie Sanders shaking hands with the Pope that read: "Sanders Praises Anti-Gay, Anti-Contraception, Anti-Choice World Leader: 'He Is a Beautiful Man'"

Jeez, c'mon!!
Mar 27, 2016
Totally agree about Orange is the New Black, it's more real about culture and race than most and the character development was extensive and compelling, once we the author's character off to the side a little. House of Cards has become a classy version of Dirty, Sexy Money with everyone evil and despicable, but it's still very watchable. I watched several episodes of Bloodline, but never understood what it was trying to do or be.
Mar 27, 2016
Hemlock Grove started out with 2 good, bingeable seasons, and then completely sh*t the bed with it's final season.
Mar 26, 2016
Longmire is the best they got! But I assume it can't be considered a Netflix Original?
Mar 26, 2016
Narcos, Daredevil (S2 only), Kimmy, JJ were the best. But out of 20 at least 50% are very bad (as in boring or unbingeable)
Mar 26, 2016
Nice to see some appreciation for Sense8. TV.com (and many other sites) weren't too kind to it initially, making snap judgments before seeing it all through.

Much as I like Jessica, I still prefer my Daredevil on top. And Marco Polo shall remain my guilty pleasure.

I do find the claim that DD would benefit from a proper trimming of the number of its episodes rather ludicrous. I could see that argument apply to JJ, but even there I didn't particularly feel like things dragged on. In a TV world where we have to put up with 20+ episode network shows full of disposable filler, the structure of Netflix offerings still makes for a much briskier and much less repetitive pace than all these Flashes and Arrows.
For me, watching about 1,5 episodes of Daredevil per day (with nothing else in the meantime), the number of them was just perfect. And especially season 2 had so much going on, heading into the final episode I was thinking they could use more time still. Having less would be a real disaster, since it all ends so quickly anyway.
Mar 26, 2016
Sense8 and daredevil are my top two seems to be some hate for dd on here. Some of these I haven't watched but hemlock grove is terrible.
Mar 26, 2016
How could you exclude what is quite simply, the very best Netflix original? #Longmire is the most exceptional show on Netflix! Obviously you have not watched it, otherwise you would have it ranked near the top of the list. A modern day western with a sheriff who cares more about doing what is right, than what is politically correct or expedient. A show that delves into Narive American issues with respect and reverence. A cast that is comfortable with the occasional silent moments, as often they can communicate so much more than words. A show that gives the viewer, the opportunity to take in the incredible vistas in which it is filmed. The cinematography is what you would expect from a major motion picture. The writing and direction is outstanding. There is a real spirituality behind the making of Longmire; a spirituality of place and of the way the characters embrace it. There is something uniquely beautiful about Longmire, and it is obvious that every member of the cast and crew feel it. To see Longmire - is to love it!
Mar 26, 2016
"#Longmire is the most exceptional show on Netflix! Obviously you have not watched it, otherwise you would have it ranked near the top of the list."

Yeah, maybe they haven't watched it. Or, maybe they have and didn't think it was exceptional.

Or, perhaps they're just aware that it's not a Netflix original. Who knows?
Mar 30, 2016
longmire like arrested development existed outside of Netflix. Netflix just brought it to continue the series for a few extra season so therefore not an original series
Mar 25, 2016
Master of None at 2 and House Of Cards 16, come on. And Fuller House should never make any list, any time. F is for Family was a nice surprise.

My rankings from the shows I have watched.

1. Sense8
2. House Of Cards
3. DareDevil
4. Kimmy Schmidt
5. Orange Is The New Black
6. Bojack Horseman
7. Bloodline
8. F is for Family
9. Love
10. Master Of None
11. Hemlock Grove
12. Marco Polo
1004. Fuller House (My wife made me watch part of one)

Apr 27, 2016
piss off, clueless troll. Fuller House is INFINITELY better than f'n horrendous House of Cards and every other complete crapfest on your joke of a list. I bet you also consider godawful Game of Incest to be "quality tv" as well. Says it all right there.

gain taste, loser ; )
Apr 20, 2016
I would switch two or three in your order but bottom line is you're a hellava lot better at making lists than the clown who wrote this article. Maybe you should submit a resume to them.
Staff
Mar 25, 2016
You could rank Fuller lower, really
Mar 25, 2016
This comment has been removed.
Staff
Mar 25, 2016
oh no, a show presented a different perspective!
Mar 26, 2016
different perspective is fine , but just not to the point where it becomes a detriment and bogs down the show, I'd say the same if any other agenda was being pushed by the show's creators which it obviously was in season 1.
Mar 31, 2016
It's 2016, I thought these stone age mindsets had been consigned to history, where they belong.
Mar 25, 2016
I'm sure I'm not alone in thinkingDaredevil is the best. No way is it "3 episodes too long" I mean Its a completely serialized show, there is literally no filler!

I know its just your opinion and all, but this list is absolute drivel IMO. Virtually every single show on the list has something written that is factually inaccurate.

I was kind of embaressed reading it.

Mar 26, 2016
Well! One is free to feel as one pleases.
Mar 25, 2016
I really do NOT get the love of Jessica Jones. I am a huge fan of both Superheroes and Noir Detective Dramas but this show fails as both. The best Noirs are ones that revolve around huge conspiracies ala Chinatown, LA Confidential etc. Jessica Jones forced its characters to be incompetent for the majority of the episodes simply to keep the single villain free to operate. There was no grand conspiracy, no serial killer mastermind. I really think that a great deal of its praise comes from it having female protagonists. Daredevil is a much better superhero show and, in many ways, a better Detective show as well.
Mar 25, 2016
totally agree .... Jones could have ended the villain so easily so many times but didn't and then dragged it out for the entire season causing many more innocents to die , ultimately to snap his neck which she should have done to begin with !
Apr 03, 2016
The reason Jessica took so long to kill Kilgrave was because she wanted to prove he had powers, and get hope out of jail. But as soon as hope died her reasons for keeping Kilgrave alive went away, so she killed him. She is not a sadistic person, and frankly for those who did not like Kilgraves quick death, he could have had a fail safe just in case it seems he is in trouble.
Apr 03, 2016
I understand that, but in trying to save hope how many people were killed / used by Killgrave only for hope to die anyway.
Mar 25, 2016
Okay, so opinions are like a@$*#les. Everyone got one and they don't amount to a hill of beans.

I would have to disagree with some of you options, in my opinion (see above) here is how I would rank the shows.

1. Jessica Jones - This show was a step aside from the traditional procedural and put a strong dominant female in the lead. Doesn't pass the Bechdel test, but a strong showing. It was just messed up enough that it worked and Tennant nailed his performance. It has a stronger sense of direction and story arc than the others.

2. Masters of None - Please, anything that makes fun of rom com and millennials has my attention. It was funny and kept my attention.

3. Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt - It was good because it filled the hole that 30 Rock left when it went off air. I would have placed it higher if that wasn't as true. I loved 30 Rock, I like Kimmie Schmidt. Lets be honest, its the same show just different actors.

4. Sens8 - Should be number 1 or 2. It was muddled and the set-up didn't work. But once the full buy in was offered I was hooked. I found it was one of those shows that had ALMOST all of the elements that could make it a great show.

5. Daredevil - It is a comic book hero so some limitations have to be enforced. Specifically that is needs to be tied to four other series, IT IS the first set up for the other four AND its character that is less known (and muffed on the last attempt.) It has stunning scenes and some of the better fight choreography on the smaller screen (Banshee is better). As a fan I should have scored this higher, in reality the story did have some holes.

6. Orange is the New Black - Season 1 was AMAZING. It was one of the first so it made an impact. Subsequent seasons have kind of becoming muted and muddled. This is due to the first season being based on a book. The rest has been written for TV, which can harm the basic principle the story stands upon.

7. Narcos - Guilty pleasure. Plain and simple. It is a fictionalization of the facts. While Escobar was larger than life equating that to a short run series can lead to elements needing to be exaggerated. I wasn't let down by anything. Overall a strong offering.

8. House of Cards - I will return to OITNB with the first season was the paramount. I now watch because I feel obligated to be up to date with Frank. It is a water cooler show and that's about it. Still better than 50% of the shows on broadcast networks (Scandal I'm talking about you.)

9. Wet Hot American Summer - While this show is a hot mess of millennials madness, I enjoyed it because it made me laugh. Cameos galour is the key elemtn.

10. Bloodlines - Highly underrated. This should be higher on my list. I enjoyed the thriller aspect as I did Rectify. While Rectify nailed the genre, Bloodlines did well at it. Strong performances made this my sleeper.

That's my take. Though who am I to share my opinions on the interwebs. My only hope is the Elders of the Internets might finally recognize me for my efforts.
Staff
Mar 25, 2016
SEE, it's so easy to do it like this!
Mar 25, 2016
Daredevil and Jessica Jones are the best original shows on Netflix. And I don't find them 3 hours too long. I enjoy every single hour of both shows!
Mar 25, 2016
Come on, users, where's the love for Bojack Horseman?
Mar 25, 2016
Funny that you added 'master of everything'.
Do you not know the quote from whence it came?
"Jack of all trades, master of none"
A Jack-of-all-trades is known for being 'very good' at everything.
Mar 25, 2016
Season 1 Daredevil was awsome and had great cast. Season 2 I found it weak,because I didn't really dig casting choices for Punisher and Elektra. With Punisher I kept thinking "what is this fake John Reese doing here". And I find Punisher to be one of dumbest characters ever created.
Apr 03, 2016
I liked the punisher and Elektra, but felt that even though in the comics there is a Karen/Matt love connection for the show they could have diverted and explored Karen's character with the punisher more.
Mar 25, 2016
The 3 hours too long type comments about Daredevil and Jessica Jones are stupid. You do not get the same effect by action every second.

Also you're probably being nostalgic by putting Orange is the New Black at no. 1. Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Sense8 should be in the top 5
Mar 25, 2016
My list is in this order:

Bojack
Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Kimmy
Bloodline
Narcos
Sens8
Orange is the New Black
Marco Polo
House of Cards

Most of the others I couldn't make it past the first episode. I probably should give Master of None another try but there is just so much on TV these days it is hard to get to everything.
In my OPINION
1. Bojack Horseman
2. Jessica Jones
3. House of Cards
4. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
5. Master of None
6. Daredevil
7. Orange is the New Black
8. Love - but this is the bottom of what I've seen thus far. I kind of hate this show.
Mar 25, 2016
Everybody loves House of Cards, no matter what TV.com tries to tell us.
Mar 25, 2016

Really, daredevil at 7? This is what made me decide your list is trash. At least now I know to never take your lists seriously in the future. Also narcos so low? what the hell.
Staff
...Tim? Is that you?
Staff
Mar 25, 2016
It's okay to have people not validate your opinion
Apr 20, 2016
IRONY
Apr 17, 2016
And yet you're replying to an opinion which doesn't validate your own opinion. Making you just the same, no? We're just giving our own opinions in response.
Mar 25, 2016
Also, thanks for saying Sense8 gets better. I have watched 3 episodes and just moved on. Will go back and try to continue.
Staff
It really does! First three are a SLOG
Mar 25, 2016
I think Sense8 is one of the best shows i have ever watched...they way all is connected with each other and how it is filmed, beautiful! Love it...
Mar 25, 2016
I liked Sens8 as the story starting strong but seemed to plod in the middle and finale felt really underwhelming. If only they'd ended it with the Van Damn chase scene. That might be the best action sequence on TV outside of Daredevil.

Mar 25, 2016
Finale felt underwhelming,because it was a cop out. I don't want to spoil it for person above,but you should know what I mean.
Mar 25, 2016
I'm tempted to put a Netflix international poll up as Netflix stretches the Netflix original series a bit outside the US. Some that are billed as Netflix originals (internationally) that would make my 1,2 and possibly 3 are
Better Call Saul
Fargo
Penny Dreadful.
The bottom 3 would be
scream
between
Shadowhunters
Mar 25, 2016
What the hell are you smoking? I understand this is your opinion, but come the fuck on. Daredevil is obviously the best original show on Netflix. Putting it below Bojack Horseman is an insult to us, the show, and horses.
Staff
"obviously"
Mar 25, 2016
I find Daredevil completely boring. And the fight scenes horrendously long. If they were well choreographed and brutal like a Banshee fight scene then I'll accept that they can be that long. But they're not and just drag out endlessly.
Mar 25, 2016
Agreed. Daredevil is boring and takes itself way too seriously for how silly it's premise is.
Apr 27, 2016
hush up you beyond clueless moron
Mar 25, 2016
Hemlock Grove UP and Master of None down. I agree with a lower ranking for Daredevil as I was rooting for the villains like Fisk, instead of those annoying heroes and that shouldn't be the case in a superhero show.
Mar 25, 2016
Very subjective list, ... But now that we see House of cards on number 6 in the Poll, could we collectively decide that it's not a bad show and that just not everyone is equipped to understand it
Mar 25, 2016
Sense 8 should be higher up the list because one it getting going it was a awesome show.
Mar 25, 2016
You know you're wrong right? You can see it from the poll. Sense8 is better than Narcos? Shake your heads tv.com.
Mar 25, 2016
your ranking sucks , daredevil should be on #1 .........
Mar 25, 2016
Daredevil, so far down the list was a big mistake. I like Jessica Jones and did not miss an episode but often you end up thinking 'Lady get over yourself'. The petulant self destruction can get a little wearing and on occasion holds up development of the plot.
Staff
Mar 25, 2016
"The petulant self destruction can get a little wearing and on occasion holds up development of the plot." Pretty sure that applies to Matt Murdoch too.
Mar 25, 2016
wow Cory you were way off
Kimmy! Daredevil, and Jessica Jones in this order
Mar 25, 2016
Impossible to pick a favourite or even rank them when they're so diverse.
Mar 25, 2016
Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Sense8.

I gave up on House of Cards after 4 episodes. Not really my genre so only watched it to see what the hype was about. I got bored with Hemlock Grove at the end of season 1 didn't check back to see if things got better.

I gave up on OITNB part way through season 2, never going back to that one.
Marco Polo and Narcos are on my list but don't know when I'll get around to them.
Mar 25, 2016
That is almost me. You are me
1. Unbreakable Kimmy Schimdt
2. Bloodline
3. Master of None
4. OITNB
5. Wet Hot American Summer
6. Narcos
7. Bojack Horseman
8. Bob and David
9. Daredevil
I haven't seen any more. I wouldn't mind checking out Jessica Jones, if initially only for Krysten Ritter.
Load More Comments