Heroes creator goes back to drawing board

Let's face it: Heroes needs some fixin'. Ratings are plummeting, critics are tearing it a new one, and Mohinder may have the wackiest story in the history of history. So how does one duct-tape up this mess? Add a hunk from a former WB show, of course.

Actor Justin Baldoni will be joining the already large cast of Heroes in a "minimum of two episodes," as reported by EW.com. Baldoni will be familiar to fans of the dearly departed WB show Everwood, on which he played Reid Bardem. On Heroes, he'll play a "surfer dude" who works at a comic-book store. Wait--wasn't that role supposed to go to Seth Green and Breckin Meyer? We'll see...

In other Heroes news, creator Tim Kring is giving the superhero drama an overhaul in the wake of the firing of his two right-hand men. According to Variety, Kring will be simplifying the show's tone, opting for more character development (and not of the "turning into the human fly" kind), and getting rid of tired plot twists. The retinkered scripts will bring the focus back to the classic good-versus-evil themes.

Well, it's about time. But is it too late?

Nov 21, 2008
EverteMax, what are you talking about man? Sylar's a good guy now and his father's much worse than him in comparison. They have reigned in the series since this posting. But then again I guess thiswas posted 5 years ago.
Nov 20, 2008
Heroes does need retooling. I'm still watching, but what made it great in the first two seasons was that they made it believable. Yes of course it's science fiction and it does take a leap for some. But it had real human interest story lines with the "powers" tastefully interlaced. Now it's become an all out "power" orgy that seems to lack direction or any attempt at believability. Tim Kring does need to reign in the powers-fest a little and bring out the human conflict a little more. And no more drastic soap opera moves: Niki Sanders is dead, but her twin, excuse me, TRIPLET sister who no one knew about shows up out of no where and wasn't noticed while prominently working in politics? Are they going to kill her next and bring in the third triplet for season four? And where's Micah and Monica? On a side note, let's not get started on Caitlin...lost in the future? Peter has seemingly forgotten about her. Now his powers are gone and he couldn't find her if he wanted to!
Nov 19, 2008
I'm very sorry, but Heroes just doesn't attract me any more. The story gets more and more mixed up, new characters are thrown in and disappears, with no explanation. It feels as though there is no plan, no goal, no vision. Season two was awesome (not to mention the first!), but now I can't even bother watching my recorded episodes. And I'm really sorry about that. I miss Heroes.
Nov 19, 2008
it is going down the drain...and Im not taking a step back...for what? I agree season 1 was good, but it has become just like so many shows out there who cant keep the boat floating after season 1...so accept the harsh fact. And of course, just cos it got renewed doesnt mean it is good.

And when Syler died...he should have remained dead...cos it can pave way to badder and meaner villians...I liked him, but this is a TV show, and it has to stay watchable...

I agree that Tim Kring has 0 creativity watsover to EVEN try to evolve the show...oh just cos he is a likable character lets bring him back! Christ...promise wat u want Tim, cos I think not even ur uber Peter Petrelli can save the show now
Nov 19, 2008
All you people that have been saying that Heroes is going down the drain, should take a step back, rewatch all the episodes from the very start. Watch them very carefully, maybe 2 or 3 times if need be. Seeing as i record heroes for my family and some friends i end up watching each episode about 4 or so times. Because of this i pick up on alot of stuff that i missed the first time. Also because of this i have a very good grasp on how the story is going and i can only around 60% of the time predict what is going to happen. The 40% i cant predict is why i love it.

In my opinion i feel that the complexity of the story is what makes it so real and convincing. Life is complex and you dont know what is going to happen and why somethings have happened till later on in the future. Some stuff you never know why.

So why cant Heroes be like that.

Also I AM SICK TO DEATH of the amount of mind numbling simple, boring and predictable tv that is shown on tv these days.

I reckon keep the complexity and if you cant follow it then either do as i said before and rewatch episodes or just plain and simple F@#$ off and leave a perfectly good series alone.
Nov 16, 2008
'bout time they noticed Heroes is going in the crapper. I was 110% behind Heroes while people were knit-picking with season 2, but season 3 is just awful so far.
Nov 13, 2008
Kring is the one who should have been fired ! First season was just great,after this I had the feeling I already watched it before ! Really repetitive story ,each episode like been there before ! Another Character who can paint the future ? Another time again a jump into the future and I must save the world ? Please..stop that B.llsh.t ! Evolve and do something new. Heroes had the potential ! The problem is not complex story lines,is Kring has no creativity to evolve the show!
Nov 12, 2008
JUST GIVE UP ALREADY
Nov 12, 2008
I like Season 3(:

Seriously, a show about people with superpowers have to contain some action. And no, a crappy teen actor won't do much to this show.
Nov 12, 2008
TIM KRING the creator/writer IS THE PROBLEM. He has no overall plan/vision for the show, that is obvious. Fans will always complain about stuff in shows, but if the show is good and the writers/creators have faith in their vision they can weather that critisism. Tim Kring did not and does not. He freaked about fans saying Season 2 did not have enough action so he writes the terrible all-action-but-making-no-sense-two-parter to start this season. Ugh. Tim's stories are always the worst - bad dialoge and tons of plot holes as well as feeling very jumbled. Best thing that could happen to the show is for Tim to let Bryan Fuller take over as head writer (assuming Daisies is canned) and Tim can stick to just producing the show. Maybe hire some good comic writers like Geoff Johns or Brian K Vaughn - who have both already written for tv (Smallville and Lost respectively).
Nov 12, 2008
What on earth are people complaining about? This season has been great. Well, so far. Now the morons have gotten there way so it will be "simplified" by which they mean any complexity will be removed and we'll be left with "Superman good, Lex Luthor bad" plot that anyone (even those not smarter than a 5th grader) can understand. This season's plot has been complex yes, but complex does not mean hard to follow. This is a show that doesn't pander to a dumbed down audience. It gives us some credit for being able to follow more than 2 plotlines at a time. If you need "simpler" shows, I suggest you go watch Cops and leave my Heroes alone!
Nov 12, 2008
My first comment...from that picture, I would guess Peter is in Haiti. Whoohooo Peter and the Haitian! That said. I don't really get all the hate either. True Mohinder annoyed me and so did Peter with the hunger for that episode and half, but other than that, the show been great. This week's episode especially.
Nov 12, 2008
Yeah Mohinder's has been crazy, but other than that I've been loving this season. Besides, it would be pretty easy to fix up his story - I mean, it's Heores, anything can happen. I don't know what these critics are thinking.
Nov 11, 2008
With the exception of Mohinders storyline, i think Heroes has been rock solid this season. I have no idea what the critics are smoking.
Nov 11, 2008
Heroes has been AWESOME this season!!! best the show has ever been!!! the critics have gone mad
Nov 10, 2008
What are they talking about?!?! heroes has been doing great! okay maybe season two was a bit tired, but it left me wanting more. Now that it's back I'm ecstatic. My friends and I were just saying how every episod eleaves you on the edge of your seat wanting me and wishing it was Monday again. I love this season! The plot twists are what keep it fun!! DON'T CHANGE HEROES!
Nov 10, 2008
I love season 3, whats so bad about it? I'll admit Mohinder's storyline is a quite whacky and plain weird, but what about the great storylines like Tracy/Niki and more Sylar screen-time.
Nov 10, 2008
oh and super fast spunky chick.. she is smokin hot
Nov 10, 2008
Season 3 has a motif... $hit episode, good episode, $hit episode, decent episode, great episode, $hit episode... Heroes needs to rediscover the consistency from season 1. I don't think its too late to save the show, because there are definitely some interesting plot lines going on. For the love of God though KILL MOHINDER ALREADY! He is the worst... also Hiro has been awful this season, his actions make no sense. Fix Hiro, get rid of Mohinder, and focus more on Cheerleader, Kristen Bell, HRG, Hot Fire Mom, Petrelli clan, and crazy bad guys (loved the puppet master!)
Nov 09, 2008
Yea i thought season 3 is exploring good and evil in a way that I havent seen on television before... The sheer size of the cast this year is probably the most annoying thing so far for me
Nov 09, 2008
I'm loving season three- except for Mohinder. I'm so glad that the Spanish twins are gone! They annoyed me. But I still want Seth Green to have a part on the show, I will be really really really disappointed if it ended up that he isn't coming!
Nov 09, 2008
What the hells wrong with you people....season 3 is great, now those of us with brains are gonna be dished up yet another 50 minutes of garbage suitable for the average attention span deficient moron. You have a show that makes you think for heavens sake, can you not follow a show without being spoon fed the whole damn thing. Yes theres loads of plot lines thats whats great about it. I am dreading what they will start dishing out now, and if it's too moronic I'll simply stop watching it. And for the record I was one of the few who thought season 2 had promise had it been given the chance to run a full season instead of only half. If I have one complaint it is that when someone dies they should stay dead. They need to start killing off some of the regular leads now, as in REALLY killing off the charecters so that the fans will feel that at anytime one of their faves could die.
Nov 09, 2008
Yes I'm sure that Jeph Loeb, the celebrated veteran comic book writer was the problem. Geez, it's lack of constancy among the world and characters, especially between seasons, and crutching on time travel and illusions as plot devices and twists.
Nov 08, 2008
Why are you all complaining? I think that season 3 is doing fine.
Nov 08, 2008
Simplify? I didn't drop the show because it was complicated, I dropped it because it made no sense. Plot holes and contradictions, plot-induced stupidity, and the incredible abuse of the rule of cool. It's like they expect us to go: "Why are Hiro and Peter fighting? They could stop time, talk about it, and sort things out. It makes no sen-- OOOH! Lightning! Cool!"
Nov 07, 2008
the thing i like about heroes is the unpredictablity an confusion.. if it was just a straight show about people with superpowers it'll be an xmen knock off... I like having to watch every detail and not being able to miss an episode because something crucial will be missed. Its the beginning of the season everything shouldn't start tying together until at least mid season
Nov 07, 2008
I do not think this show is complicated ('Charlie Jade' that is complicated) just too many heroes.
Nov 07, 2008
By simplifying I hope he means eliminating useless plot lines and giving us a more centralized plot. On Lost, Prison Break and 24 the plots are much more centralize. On Lost its one side trying to get off the Island and the other side trying to prevent that. On 24 and Prison Break Jack and Micheal have a specific mission per season. On Heroes everyone is all over the place. Hiro, Nathan, Parkman, Peter, Claire and almost everyone else each have their own stories that are so very thinly connected it makes the plot "hard" to follow or makes you not want to follow it.
Nov 07, 2008
And another vote for "it's really just not that bad". I don't get all the complaints. The storyline is certainly no more complicated than Lost or 24, yet people seem to be able to follow those. I have never had a single problem following the plot, and I worry that trying to simplify it any further will just result in dumbing it down. More character development is always a good thing, but Heroes has never dealt with "classic good-versus-evil themes" so how the heck can we "go back" to that?
Nov 07, 2008
Tim Kring is a genius! Character development and simplified stories? What a concept. You have to be a real smarty to think of that.
Nov 07, 2008
Season 2 had a bit of a convulted storyline but things did seem to finally be coming together with Season 3. I am sticking around for each episode regardless of what they do, just to see what happens next. My issues with the show wasn't so much in the storyline but in the characters especially Peter and the use (or non-use) of powers in certain situations. I'm all for character development!!!
Nov 07, 2008
I dont know what the problem is with season 3. I thoroughly enjoy it.
Nov 07, 2008
People want a spoon-fed plot about people with Superpowers and expect it to be easy to understand...? Do not go back to concrete good/evil storyline, then it makes the plot too simplistic and devalues all character development so far because if they are already categorized then good people will always do "good things" and bad people will always do "bad". There are problems, but I think some are just reacting too much at Season 3.
Nov 06, 2008
The show isnt complicated if you ACTUALLY SIT DOWN AND WATCH IT! I have no problem following the storylines, it is not boring and it is way better than season 2 and people are still complaining. I dint know what it is of late but people are very quick to judge and complain without giving a second thought into how hard it is too maintain a show that has had so much critical expectation after the first season. I admit Season 2 was jumpy bu we are back on track with vOlume 3 and I cant wait till Volume 4 and if "dumbing down" the show is what it takes to stop the incessant whining then so be it!

Peace...
Nov 06, 2008
Oh sure! Throw yet ANOTHER well-known teen actor into the mix! That'll fix things! Of course! That's what they need to fix this show! More characters! It surely has nothing to do with the subpar writing!

....

Can you smell the sarcasm? Eeessh.

This show needs a fresh start, or a cancellation. Just looking back at how wonderfully it started out in season 1... almost every character has become a pathetic shadow of the person they used to be back then. All their jobs (Peter as a nurse, Matt as a cop) have totally disappeared, (apparently heroes don't need to make a living when theres world-saving to be done!), other interesting characters have just... disappeared (Micah's cousin with the kinda cool ability), and death itself has become mundane and useless with the inclusion of the stupid "Claire's blood" thing... destroying all sense of finality and risk for the characters, so much so that they have to come up with ridiculous little explanations as so the main characters actually have something to lose (Oh, despite the fact we've made a point of saying Claire, Peter and Sylar can no longer be killed, you can actually STILL techincally sorta kill them by cutting their heads off or shooting them in the back of the head! Yeah! See how we tricked you there!?! HA!)

Add to that how ridiculously convuluted the story is getting (let's just keep introducing more and more baddies, and as if one "Company" wasn't enough, let's introduce a second one!) and how much they are relying on "time travel" episodes and storylines (which, let's face it, each time they do, opens up a million possibilities for inane plotholes and further confusion) and Heroes is sadly on a one way track to failure.

If they want to fix this, they need to STOP adding to the cast, kill off a bunch of the less important characters, and start over with a new fresh storyline, that doesn't involve some sort of stupid "formula" or "time travelling to the future to stop yet another end-of-the-world scenario".

Nov 06, 2008
I have been enjoying the season so far but I agree the quality is lower and lower. Hopefully this is all the right direction for Heroes and not the wrong one which we have seen happen too much with this show.
Nov 06, 2008
I dont particularly think that theres a HUGE problem with season 3, i just think this should the last season we see certain characters.
Nov 06, 2008
Sounds like good news to me.
Nov 06, 2008
this is the second time Tim Kring has tried to public admit his mistakes (the first time being towards the end of season2) and fix things, this man has no original vision that his fans claimed him of having because he wouldn't have to keep going back and fix things if he knew what he was doing from the start. I don't know how people can keep faith in someone who can't follow through a bad plot that he created in the first place, it only shows that he has no sense of future direction if he can't make his way through a current plot which he himself created. This just proves what Lost fans have been saying all along, he took the storytelling of Lost copied the plot of "The 4400" on a huge budget and called himself original when it took off in the first season.
Nov 06, 2008
i may be the only one who thinks this...but Heroes third season is my fave because it has gotten darker...it has really got my attention back...and i have only seen the first 6 episodes of season 3 on BBC 2.

stop complaining people!!!

i think Hiro and Andoshould have their own spin-off...they're awesome!!...and Sylar is my fave character on the show now...Zachary Quinto fan forever!
Nov 06, 2008
Hopefully this will sort heroes out
Nov 06, 2008
I really hope it helps, they need to do something if they want to keep it on the air.
Nov 06, 2008
It was always heading for a problem, the show started with a completely new storyline and a novel concept... you can only work with that for a couple of seasons before people will get bored, as the X-Files found out.
Nov 06, 2008
its too late. it took a whole season and 5 episdoes to figure out that your show went downhill? mohinder became evil so fast, Hiro is annoying now, the whole go back and foth in time to stop an apacolypse is getting way overplayed. i want a crime syndcate and the heroes to battle it out. and please! somewhere else besides LA and NY.
Nov 06, 2008
peronally I don't understand what the hoopla is about. Every episode this season has had an OMG moment (I love those!). The only thing that's beginning to bother me is the switch between peter and gabriel under the iv-drip. :-)
Nov 06, 2008
Never too late to turn something around. It sure beats an outright cancellation! So, that means there is hope.
Nov 06, 2008
I hope it helps! They really need to spruce up the story. It's getting laughable.
Nov 06, 2008
OMG what is up with all this negative energy going on here. Guys dont be jerks and bare with the show. is not easy to do this ok? so please give them a break. I think Heroes has been great it could get better YES but come on no one is perfect....
Nov 06, 2008
I hope it'll help. The show can't get worse... or can it?
Nov 06, 2008
I actually think this season is better than the second, but then again, I preferred the last season of Lost to all the previous ones.
Load More Comments