Heroes: Don't Bring Back Ali Larter (Again)

Niki Saunders and her look-alikes are a plot line in Heroes that just won't die. The show killed off ex-online stripper Niki and her split evil personality during season two in an explosion, but quickly brought her back as a pearl-wearing political adviser Tracy Strauss. The continuing Niki look-alike drama has just been a distraction. If there's a good reasons for keeping her around, viewers need to know. Now.

In the first season Niki (played by Ali Larter) is a Las Vegas casino worker who supports her son Micah (played by Noah Gray-Cabey) working as an online stripper. She struggles with a split alter-ego named Jessica who has few sexual inhibitions and an extremely violent nature.

Every show left us wondering how Niki's schizophrenia made her a hero, like death-defying Claire Bennet (played by Hayden Panettiere) or time-and-space traveler Hiro Nakamura (played by Masi Oka). Niki simpering struggles to fight off Jessica's influence felt like an uncompleted thought and proved to be annoying, but little Micah was so lovable, that we dealt with it.

Larter's character is redeemed in the first season because her violent rampages are just so entertaining -- tossing men twice her size around as though they were rag dolls and leaving bloodied murder scenes without the faintest recollection of what had happened. But Larter's characters did little to advance the plot of the show then, and she has served only as a distraction from Sylar's murdering rampages and Peter's ever-pressing desire to "Save the World" in seasons two and three.

Heroes is famed for having a difficult plot line to follow. This weakness is the result of writing characters who play a bigger part than they should. Just when we thought we were rid of Niki/Jessica and left with her sweet, curly-haired son Micah, the writers brought Ali Larter back as Tracy Strauss. She died. And then she came back. Again.

As the show continues to get more complicated, the writers would do well to consider pruning the cast down, starting with Niki/Jessica/Tracy... or whomever she appears as next.
What I liked about Heroes the first season was that characters died. Now they are keeping characters on way longer than they should including Ali Larters character(s), Parkman and yes, Sylar.
It's pretty sad to see that there are still people out there who think that schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder are the same thing. Schizophrenics have a multitude of symptoms, mostly severe hallucinations and paranoid delusions. People who suffer from multiple personality "become" another person. Sometimes the original personality is aware of the other (or others), sometimes it is not. Anna should check her facts before throwing big words around.
Nathan has also "died" like every season..
well... the only reason for them to bring her back again and again is... to keep Larter on. I figure they believe she's so sexy, people will watch the show no matter how bad it gets. Guess again...
Ali Larter was one of the main reasons I even started watching Heroes, but Nikki Sanders was not that great of a character. However, I did really enjoy Tracy Strauss, so I say bring her back! I'd also like to see the third triplet, Barbara, make an appearance in Season 4.
DONT BRING HER BACK,HER STORYLINE IS NOT GREAT
u know, if the show blew off their chances of redeeming themselves 4 the 3rd time (which will b on the 4th season), i say, it's popularity is long gone...
I like Ali Larter a lot, but I have to agree that Season 3's appearance was a bit "forced." But they hinted she wasn't dead after she froze as her broken frozen body winked as HRG walked away.

The season 1 finale showed a heroic event for Nikki. She finally got control of herself and her powers, allowing her to save Mika. She then tried smacking Sylar around with a parking meter. Personally I think in many ways that Nikki had the hardest fight, while others were just trying to come to terms with who they were and ran around she had to fight her own personal demons and take control... she had to go from submissive to dominant.

However season 2 showed her decline as her personalities started taking over again. It was sad since she was a mother and the medication wasn't helping. In the end, she died saving her relative.

Season 3 was just confusing, but the new character eventually became a hero. Realizing that her nephew was REBEL she threw away her greed and fought for him, taking on an entire squad of bad guys.
Larter and Pasdar's characters had great sexual tension, one of the highlights of the show. Bring it back!
I love Ali and its sad that now some people want her off the show due to some poor choices and not at her fault. I agree, though, that dying and coming back is pretty annoying.
nooooooo

she is good let her stay
yeah I totally agree
better yet just trash the whole show
how is Heroes still on and Kings got canceled?
Nikki was ok but Tracy was useless. They really should get rid of the character regardless of the actress' acting ability or looks.
You're all completely insane, especially you, Anna Hiat. For one: Nikki was a very intriguing charachter, whose plotline was well devised until the end of season 2, when the writer strike happened, and the show's creator's just wanted to end with as much drama as possible. That strike completely threw off the original plotline of the show because of that event. For two: Tracy never died. Turn on the show, and rewind back to when ***spoilers*** she froze the entire parking garage. After she got shot, her eye blinked. When she was completely frozen solid and made of ice. ***end spoilers*** That proves she never died. They didn't bring her back, SHE NEVER DIED in the first place. With the way her character was treated, I'm not surprised at ALL about her coming back as she is and killing the people involved in the event that imprisoned her. I'd be pissed as well. And three: The third triplet is NOT Jessica. It's Barbara. If you yuppies actually paid attention to the plot instead of watching it for the sole purpose of trying to sound cool in front of the water dispenser, you would know this. They obviously have a plotline in mind for the Barbara character if they mentioned her. Killing off the character Tracy would only result in Ali Larter returning as Barbara anyways. If the killed Tracy, and never advanced the Barbara plotline, than you'd be complaining about that instead. The show isn't about how people get powers and magically become heroes, its about how people get powers and how it affects their personal lives and the lives of others. Almost every character on the show canNOT be classified as a true hero, as they have at the very least done things that fall in the morally grey area. tl;dr: Anna Hiat doesn't know what she is talking about.
Ok.... you people are retarded.... There is no other Ali Carter character... No new triplet.... There's Jessica, Niki, and Tracy. Thats it. Niki/Jessica wasn't just a multiple personality thing. Jessica died before the show started. Tracy didn't die.

Oh and I hate when people write articles on behalf of fans. Just because you are a fan, and you're confused about something, doesn't mean the rest of us are. I loved Niki/Jessica/Tracy. I can definitely see that the storyline is going somewhere.
This editorial seems seriously incomplete. Where's the conclusion?
Wow ok so why is this article posted? lol. 1. Ali Larter is an amazing actress 2. Niki/Jessica stoyline was far from dull 3. Tracy is such a cool character with her ice manipulation and last but not least 4. Are you dumb or just plain stupid. She didn't even die and the girl at the end of the season was Tracy. Her powers have evolved. It's not even the third triplet. Get your facts straight. That's all I have to say.
Everyone that watches the show knows there will be a 3rd bc there was triplets i hope this one will be more.....hoochie like jessica lol
okay i disagree 100%.
Nikki's character should've gotten stronger after the defeat of Jessica. If they didn't know what to do with her..why not have her meet Tracy Strauss at the end of season 2 and then kill off Nikki? That way they could've at least met & such...

Tracy Strauss is a very interesting character since Volume 4. She wasn't introduced very well...but the best thing about her is that her nephew Micah..which is the only true connection she has to her dead sister Nikki, makes her go good...and not be selfish...it's only getting better. WHy not kill Mohinder who did a hell of a lot less than Tracy did in fugitives.

yeaa your little article is YOUR opinion...not the sole opinion of the entire Heroes audience, buddy. Keep Tracy Strauss and Bring in Barbara...I want to know about her power. She is a triplet...obvisouly there's gonna be a third.

and Niki had the power of super strength people...her slit personality was not her power..
Niki did more with her power than Mohinder does with it...he does nothing
Heroes is a show that has fast lost its edge during and after season 2 and I think its past its prime and the show needs to die.
I'm glad to read Bryan Fuller didn't like what the writers did with Nikki. I think Fuller is a very inteligent guy to do things like that. Nikki was one of the most interesting characters on the show during its first season. But the second season her storyline was not very interesting and in the third one, well I didn't like Ali Larter's character. I like the third season more than the second one, which was bad and boring many times, but many changes should be made for a 4th one.
i think everybody knew (for who saw all the seasons) there would be a 3rd one. They were triplets!
kill them all but mr muggles lmao at this point i agree with that
Ali Larter is a great actress, you guys. Seriously. It's the writers messing up her material n giving her terrible scenes. Nikki shouldn't have died, basically. Bryan Fuller was upset with what they did to the Nikki character, the writers just couldnt get their act together on her. Nikki should've been stronger once she absobred the Jessica personality, instead she was a blithering mess of herself. Then the whole "sci-fi getto" storyline about Nikki/tracy/barbara triplets that were injected with powers went nowhere. It was an atrocity, IMHO. Whatever. The damange is done to heroes...
Please stop B**** about her character, Ali plays well no matter what part she does. Kill Claire if you what a B**** woman off of the show. I was sick an tired to see her every week in a Heroes episode the past season. Every Heroes watcher knows that there are three of them, so why complaint about it. Keep her coming as she does, at least it makes the show interesting.
Like primitive_666 said, kill em all except Mr. Muggles.

The show suffers from its writers, not necessarily its characters (though there are too many of the same for the story their supposedly telling). If the writers can get past their evil split personalities and focus on telling a concise good story thread leading to some deep understanding or conclusions without family feuds and pouty retreads, they might make some headway into retrieving the audiences they've left in the future, dragged out into the desert for nil, and sliced through their patience's foreheads. I loved the 1st season, but then it was novel and fresh and a mystery to accompany as it unfolded. It's trying to get back to it, but it's been a long trip back to year 1.

Sylar becoming ultra powerful but ham stringed by family issues, Peter becoming and unbecoming ultra powerful and ham stringed by family issues, the cheerleader becoming nearly immortal and ham stringed . . . . Noah ham . . . Parkman ham . . .

Tracy is just one problem, one unresolved thread, . . my question, what's the puzzle anymore? What is Heroes? Why are we supposed to continue following it? I will, but not as intently as before.
I like Ali, but I think she should move on (to another show).
they should kill all the characters and just leave....mr muggles....
I thought it was annoying when they killed her off as Tracy and then decided to bring her back. She needs to stay dead. Honestly, it would be a bigger surprise for a Heroes character to actually stay dead, especially hers.
Who are you to decide what the viewers want? I think they are doing a fine job with the Tracy storyline and the finale made her an important part of next season's story.
I liked the Nikki/Jessica story line but it's turning into a running joke with killing her off and then creating another character for her.
I don't know, I really didn't like her in the beginning, but Tracey was a LOT better than Nikki/Jessica, so at least the better one is coming back.
She's hot. Keep her. :)
the show turn it a little bizarre the last season.I don t know how much can create to this show.
just make her a recurring character and the show will be fine...
She didn't die in Season 3, she turned to ice melted. Hence her coming through the water pipes at the beginning of Volume 5.
I like her in heroes but shows is running down unfortunately, it bacomes boring
Ehm... I like Ali Larter ! I liked Nikki better than Tracy.. but she should be on this show!
Please please PLEASE get rid of Ali Larter. Niki's story was pretty good in S1, but do the writers think she is so important as to come back for yet another volume as another character, even if it makes no sense at all?
Heroes is still running ....... ?????

They lost me after Volume 3 ...
Yeah, because Lost isn't confusing or anything.
Let's face it. She's eye candy. She's on the show to keep up the hottie quotient. You can tell by how her character/s almost always need to be naked or half-naked at one point or another (stripper/political adviser with benefits) and how her power/s either don't make sense or is totally uninteresting. I think that's just unfair to Ali Larter as an actress. She deserves better than the stuff they write for her.
I agree with the article in that Ali shoulnd't have been brought back, but I liked her in season 1. And Micah is absolutely adorable. More rebel please!
This article is right. She never does anything for the other characters or the plot. If anything she is just a hinderance to the show. I'm glad she is gone and hopefully she stays that way
do your research. she suffered from dissociative disorder not schizophrenia. there is a big difference.
Nothing is quite so irksome as some self-appointed spokesperson for the viewers piping up and using the term "we" as if backed by the rest of the viewership.
Whoever does not understand these storylines really needs to build up their IQ levels. It is a convoluted story, yes but NOT unfathomable.
As for the dead being brought back to life... Yes, weird concept but Tim Kring wanted a "spiritual" element to the show and hey, if you are willing to buy into a storyline of people with SUPERPOWERS, then you should allow for other unbelievable circumstances too. The stories may get you involved but let us remember, it is FICTION folks! LOL
Ali Larter is fantastic and a passionate ambassador for the show. I was mortified when Nikki was killed off and relieved when Tracy made her appearance. I had my own ideas on how the Tracy story should play out and was disappointed that they did not occur BUT am hoping the Barbara story pans out well (if indeed the Ali reappearance was her and not just Tracy having mastered a new aspect of her freezing power (which could be really just another form of controlling liquids as opposed to draining kinetic energy from any molecule).
She's sexy, a brilliant actress and one of the reasons I and many others tune in.
Haters of the show, WHY BOTHER posting? Change channels if it's on, don't bother checking out threads on it unless you have something constructive to say. Geez! No-one cares that you don't care for the show. Threads like these are for fans and critics, so go tune into your own favourites. Television shows are not like religions. Viewers CAN co-exist peacefully with other viewers of other televisual persuasions. ;)
Ali rocks!!!
I also loved Niki/Jess I don't think that this character is what went wrong with the show. I hope she comes back and I hope that this next season is better then the last.
Load More Comments