Heroes fires pair of producers

It's no secret that Heroes has been struggling this year. The one-time network savior has seen its ratings nose-dive almost as fast as the Dow Jones in its third season, which was supposed to be the big turnaround point after a disappointing second season was cut short by the writers strike.

NBC has taken note of Heroes' performance, and it made some necessary moves this weekend. The network has fired co-executive producers Jeph Loeb and Jesse Alexander over creative differences, according to Variety. The pair was known to run the day-to-day operations of Heroes under the eye of series creator Tim Kring.

Heroes is currently in its third season and has seen its share of negative press from critics who are calling the drama bloated with too many characters and storylines, silly, and smug. Budget issues are also reportedly surfacing, with each episode costing NBC an estimated four million dollars apiece.

It looks like Alexander and Loeb took the fall for Heroes' downturn. Do you guys think this will help right the ship?

Sigh. I like this show. It needs to drop the budget a little and maybe a few characters and then it will back to the magic of season one, hopefully.
mplsbill: I argee with you. I barely watch any of my favorite shows on TV anymore. Between work and school I just catch up on the internet and I don't think anyone knows I still watch the show faithfully.
I actually thought that Season 3 was starting to pull things together. I don't want 'simple' television, I just want characters to be more logical, and I don't know whether or not firing these two guys will resolve that issue. I'm all for character development, so I'll continue to watch and see where it goes
I hope this change helps chances of a fourth season.
Loeb and Alexander have been responsible for some of LOST's best moments and they were starting to put something great together here with Season 3 - looks like they were slowly cutting away the cancer of the deathly boring characters from Season Two (Maya, Bob Bishop, Adam). So what if its a bit too cerebral and you have to think it out? We need more challenging telly that makes us think - a shiver goes down my spine at Krings promise to "Keep it simple Stupid" and hiring folks from Everwood.....
well lets hope it changes for the best
they may have a chance if a fourth season comes their way
redhawk100: Damn straight! What's up with these writers, anyway? All of a sudden, they can't even keep track of who has which power.
I think they need to bring in some real comic book fans like Kevin Smith and Joss Whedon to write a few episodes, try and bring the show back to it's Season 1 greatness. Season 2 was bad, season 3 has been awful!! It's too complicated, they need to focus on one story that involved the group coming together like they did in season 1. Right now theres as many stories as there are characters and with an ensamble cast of this size then thats not a good move...
Pants
I think Heroes is doing what they can with what they have, they have to know the ratings, if they could fix whatever the problem is, I think they would.
Heroes should hire better writers not just producers. Its a shame because the show had so much potential. Unfortunately they did not use the time after the writer's strike to improve the quality of the show.
Shaking up the producer list will not bring Heroes back to its glory days (i.e. the first season). It's too late to salvage anything now. NBC should just move on and put more effort into shows that actually have potential. When Bryan Fuller left to make his new series, Heroes took a nose drive... into quicksand... where the show is beginning its slow but gradual descent into oblivion.
i liked jeph loeb because he worked really well in the first 3 seasons of smallville writing the mythological episodes that deals with clarks past..
so when most of the smallville crew went to heroes, they made it how they wanted it following comic books that they liked and pickin out the best story arcs and meshing them together...that's what made heroes so great...except that we are yet to see a superfight...but i hate how it is going right now mohinder turning like that (FROM A DAMN INJECTION) was the last straw...
I don't think so, after all it's not the storyline, or the story or acting that has changed the amount of people watching heroes, it's the tv industries inability to really know who is watching the shows! I get the distinct feeling that nobody out there really knows who is and isn't watching Heroes and other shows like Lost, Terminator, BSG, and all of the serialized series on tv these days. Between I-Tunes, the internet, DVR's, Tivo, and all the many ways that people watch shows today, I don't think anybody has a firm grip on whats being watched! Then there was the strike when a lot of people got tired of waiting to see what would happen to the shows they loved, and eventually when the ones that have come back, cameback, people didn't even know and missed critical episodes and lost interest. I love heroes, I still love the characters, I still faithfully watch it, and I still have high hopes that it will come back to where it began if they can give people time to come back, and air cxurrent episodes on cable so people can catch up!
I understand viewership is down... But, I think that has more to do with the fact that every damn Network is offering something decent on TV this year... Instead of firing producers on the show... They should fire the person responsible for not pulling the trigger on changing the show to Weds Night instead of letting it rot on the vine called Monday Nights.
The producers aren't the problem. It's the writers and the bloating. My recommendations: 1) kill Mohinder, Maya, Mrs. Petrelli, and Meredith; 2) stream Parkman, Daphne, Hiro, and Ando into a single "team"/plotline; 3) stream Mr. Bennet, Sylar, Peter, Nathan, and Tracy into another; and 4) stream Claire, Elle, and Mrs. Bennet into the last.
nothing can help heros let the ship sink this series would be better if it was the last a least then you could look forward to the end
JohnnyDrama8:

You clearly don't understand the Electoral College system. It's still screwy and stupid, but it's a lot better than it was in 2000. EVERY VOTE COUNTS NOW, SO GET OUT THERE AND VOTE OBAMA.
Hope it helps the show
They need to Fire Mohinder, and Maya. Also don't bother voting today this voting system is set up as an electoral college so your votes don't even matter. So everyone votes for Obama and the Electoral College Votes for McCain. McCain would win so don't waste your time by voting.
Well, I guess they needed some scapegoats. We'll see what happens and who they blame next. It had a shaky start but the 3rd season is getting a little better. I still have faith it can turn around.
I don't think firing someone like Jeph Loeb who I know from his work on Smallville, which was brilliant.
Shame, but at least now Jeph Loeb maybe will return to Lost or Smallville. :)
I don't know if it will do any good, I think scenarists should do better! Heroes started out great but it is really stuck in too many soapy cliches (pleaseeee the father is not dead and there is a third brother and a third sister?!!!) and there is a strong impression of deja vu for too many storylines, we already saw this or that in a comics or another tv show, like,for instance, the fact that non-"mutants" could gain powers too.
But I still love Heroes, and the third season IS better than the second one, I hope it will be saved!
To Be Honest This Maybe a Good Thing
i want peter get his power back....!!!!!!!! why they made peter powerless???? i can;t accept it. he is the most powerful character. i wonder why he don't absorb his father's power when he hugged him.
heroes is boring lately and jesse alexander doesn't have to prove himself, not to me anyway. specially after lost and five seasons of alias.
Good, it was about time for them to try and do something. Although it may be too late, this show already seems like it's going to be whacked.
Honestly I think that the show is doing great, the one that need to go are the critics, they just sit their behind there and talk about it. Are they jealous? Are they heaters? Must be because Heroes is the best thing we have including Prison Break. I personally record the show because I am at the gym at the time but I see many people at my gym tune to the show while doing cardio, and I personally tune free TV for better rating LOl.. but yeah after my work out I rush home to go watch it, as a matter fact before I get home my friends are texting me to let me know how good it was and that make me even more excited to go and find out for my self.

Can we like do something to stop all this negative energy for out favorite show?
Not surprised that's usually what happens when a show is sinking fast, they put the blame on someone else. With a large cast like Heroes has and advertising dollars dropping as the ratings drop well don't be surprised if a few more cast bite bullet too.
I think that they needed fallguys to keep the show afloat and it starts with the producers and trickles down to all other things that could possibly be blamed. Next will be probably be the cost or the people who buy ad time for the show. It's the nature of the beast, especially when a show has a stellar first season. A shame that the studio has to do this route for a show as great as Heroes.
If anything, Heroes has had a few good twists this season. But one thing to grouse about is, are our beloved heroes really that stupid? I mean, is Sylar that gullible? And Peter? What the frak was he thinking? I could go on and on about how everyone this season seems to have taken the Stupid Pill, but maybe some of you viewers can weigh in on that!

And Jeph Loeb? Darn shame his son died. No need to kick him in the butt -- especially since he turned out work like "Hush", "The Long Halloween", and "Fallen Son". I'm sure he'll do fine with his next project -- to heck with Kring! He should've put in a word or two on Loeb's behalf!
Jeph Loeb is utterly terrible, he has not written a good comic since his last pairing with Tim Sale.

Have you guys read his work at Marvel these last couple years? HORRIFIC. He's completely ruined The Hulk and The Ultimates. The man's talent just left after his son died.
I'm glad that the network is trying to repair the show by shaking things up, whether this is good or bad for Heroes will see. The producers and writers should have written the characters to form a "super team" right about now instead of all these recycled storylines going on. I mean do they have to save the world every season? Kring should share some of the blame as well. Here's hoping that the new producers will bring this show back from the brink of (possible) cancellation.
Heroes is great, if it costs that much monery they shouldn't care because it's fantastic stuff coming out the other end.
I don't get some ppl, Heroes is doing great, i like the episodes, i like the twists and i like the characters. Season 3 so far is great, annoyed that there isnt an episode this week.
I think it's a good idea to change (no political pun intended). Things weren't working so NBC stepped in to fix things because they didn't like the shows creative direction. Honestly they should have let Kring go but he's the creator so that won't work. Man it's just so sad because Heroes was such a good show and then it become total garbage after the first season. They should have just killed off characters and made the show better.
I've been a bit confused lately. To be honest i was more hooked earlier in the series.
To be honest i wasn't a fan of season 1, it was really slow paced with one of the worst season finales ever. Season 2 was just a filler season, nothing happened. This season has been so crammed its destined to fail. Now that these two guys got fired there's no telling where the story is going to go. Which means more people are just going to give up on the show.
Change can be good. I've been a loyal watcher since Season 2 (I watched Season 1 at the same time to get caught up). As long as Kring sits atop the the pile, let's hope the change isn't too drastic.
I'm surprised some of the viewers failed to notice it was struggling. Ratings in tv.com were good enough indicators. I stopped watching this season beyond 3rd episode and I was following the ratings and reviews here. Nothing has tempted me yet to resume watching Heroes. Finally, NBC has woken up and lets hope it all gets better from here.
THE SHOW IS COOL LET'S SEE WHAT WILL HAPPEN THEN
Struggling? Wow ive been thinking "THIS IS AWESOME!" for weeks now xD This season is a lot better than the previous season =) I do agree though, it started off pretty strong. Straight to the point. The first season took a fair episodes to actually get somewhere! The many characters do make it confusing but they have removed quite a few since the last season. Nikki's storyline is almost completely gone now.
Agreed some of the episodes have been a little messy but it still makes it a god show! =D Hope it gets even more better though
dude... letting Joeb go... no... bad move
i love this show, i didn't even know it was struggling. i hope it starts to do better, i look forward to it every week
Ya agreed that the recently coming episodes were too messed up !!
Hope to see much better now !!!
Would be nice to see a bit of a change, I guess well find out if they did the right thing or not soon though.
I kind of wonder if Tim Kring is throwing Jesse & Jeph to the wolves as a sacrifice. Since Season 1, the show has been unpredictable (at best) and a little fresh blood brought into this series might just be needed. Then again, Jesse & Jeph might have been what was making this show respectable.
Jeph Loeb is a fantastic comic-book writer. I personally think that it is a mistake to let him go. If there is a problem with the show maybe they need to look at Tim Kring after all he is the show runner, right?

The only problem I have with the show right now is the over reliance on time travel and other forms of "Deus Ex Machina". Of course as someone pointed out, it is a comic book show; and just like a comic book anytime a character dies, it's never permanent...
Load More Comments